Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favorite Mosques

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favorite Mosques
    Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 06:18

Dargah Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti{AJMER}

I visited Dargah of Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti about 12 years back.

The complex  
  The complex of the Dargah Sharief (Holy Shrine) is spread over a large area in the heart of the old city of Ajmer. About 4 Kms from the Railway Station and about 5 Kms from the Bus Terminal, the Complex is easily and quickly reached either by hiring an auto rickshaw or a brisk 15-minute walk. The complex houses many buildings besides the Tomb, which were constructed over a period of time by various Kings and devotees.

The buildings

The Tomb
Khwaja Husain of Nagore advised his son, who thought of accepting an offering, made by Sultan Ghiyas Uddin to spend the amount on the construction of buildings over the grave of Hazrat Khwaja Sahib and of his own ancestor Sufi Hamid Uddin of Nagore. Likewise, the tomb was constructed, and the dome over the grave of Hazrat Khwaja Sahib was raised up. The white dome is one of its kinds in India.

The Begami Dala
Click image to enlargeThis Dalan was constructed by Princess Jahan Ara Begam, daughter of Emperor Shah-Jahan in 1053 AH / 1643 AD.

The Tenement of Bibi Hafiz Jamal
In this tenement, situated very close to the tomb of Hazrat Khwaja Sahib, is laid to her eternal rest the daughter of Khwaja Sahib. The two small graves are of her two sons who dies in infancy.

Ahata-e-Noor
It is situated towards the southwest of the tomb. It is of marble. It is known as Ahata-e-Noor or the compound of Light.

The Arcot Dalan
The then prince of Arcot built this Dalan, or small hall, in the year 1207 AH.

The Mehfil Khana
It was built in year 1309 AH. The Mehfil Khana, or the place for gatherings, is where the Mehfil - e - sama (musical concert) takes place during the urs celebrations and on other special occasions.

The Big Cauldron
Click image to enlargeTo mark his expression of devotion of Khwaja Sahib, Emperor Akbar presented the Big Cauldron in the year 974 AH, after his conquest of Chittor.

The Small Cauldron
Emperor Jahangir presented the Small Cauldron in the year 1022 AH.

The cauldrons are used for preparing special food for devotees.

The Chillah of Baba Farid
This is the place, where Baba Farid Uddin Gange-e-Shakar passed his days in contemplation and seclusion. The gate of the Chillah remains close. But on the 5th Muharram each year the gate is opened.

Nizam Gate
It was built by H.E.H. The Nizam of Hyderabad. Its construction commenced in the year 1912 AD and was completed in 1915 A.D.

Click image to enlargeKalma Darwaza
Sultan Mehmud Khilji of Malwa built this gate in 859 AH.

Akbari Mosque
Emperor Akbar built this mosque in 977 AH, as a mark of thankfulness to Hazrat Khwaja Sahib, on the occasion of the birth of Prince Salim (Emperor Jahangir). It is known as Akbari Masjid (Mosque of Akbar).

Click image to enlargeShah Jahani Mosque
Emperor Shah Jahan in 1047 A.H built this mosque of white marble. It is known as Shah Jahani Masjid or the Mosque of Shah Jahan.

The Sandal Khana Mosque
Sultan Ahmad Khilji, better known as Sultan Mando, built this Mosque in the year 859 AH.

Aulia Mosque
It is situated close to Sandal Khana Mosque.

The ceremonies  

Every day, several thousand devotees throng to the tomb of Khwaja Sahib to seek his blessings and derive solace and comfort under the shelter of his love. As a mark of respect to the saint, and to invoke the blessings of Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Hasan Chishti, various ceremonies are held everyday at the shrine.

The main ceremonies that are held everyday include

Khidmat
Khidmat or service, is performed twice daily by the Khadims where the in the morning the Gates to the holy shrine are opened after azaan, the call to prayers, and offerings of fresh flowers are made after the holy wash of the mazar. Later in the evening, recitation of fateha takes place and sandalwood paste is applied to the mazar.

Roshnee
Roshnee or lighting of candles and lamps takes place in the evenings with drum beating and recitation of Persian verses.

Karka
Karka is the closing ceremony of the gates to the shrine and takes place after an hour of Isha prayer, the prayer after sunset.

Langar
Daily free distribution of food takes place where a special porridge meal is cooked. It is said that the porridge is cooked in a manner similar to that which was used by Khwaja Sahib himself. The langar takes place after the Isha prayers.

Sama (Qawwali)
Every day, renditions of devotional songs in the Praise of the Almighty and his Prophet and Saints take place at the court of Khwaja Sahib, by the Qawwals, or the traditional musicians.

Milad & Quran Recital
Recitation of the Holy Quran takes place every day at the mosques within the complex.

http://www.sufiajmer.org/html/dargah_sharief.html

Jai Badri Vishal
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 08:26

my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.

Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 17:16
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 12:32
I'm not Muslim but my favourite Mosque is the Dome of the Rock, in Isreal.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 17:04
Originally posted by azimuth

my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.

We know the old Kaabah but what about the surrounding buildings? When were they built?

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 18:54

I recall the surrounding building was built by 3 or 2 muslim german architechts.

The Kaabah in meccah is the most high-tech mosque in the world, i believe, becuase even in the middle of the burning summer, the ground is still cool (uses some aircooling technique).

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 04:07

you mean the latest expansion right?

the Great mosque in Makkah was expanded many times during history you can see the older walls and doms around there.

i'll make a new thread about the expansions.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 14:34
The Breka Mosque in Sarajevo is one of the most beautiful new mosques in the city. It was designed by a Malaysian architect and built with funding from the Malaysian Embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 07:58
Fantastic topic and great pictures.
Thanks for all of them.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 08:40
Dear Azimutt,
As you mentioned "my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.", I would like to say that this experesion belongs to all muslims as everyone would like to visit the holy place once in life and everyone has a desire to kiss the holy walls of it and pray in there.
I would too like to say that "It is the best ever built and best ever blessed"

violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 18:49
Kul Sharif looks like Disneyland

Mughal mosques in Karachi,Lahore and India look enormous trust me

Favorite Ottoman is Blue Mosque,with Aya Sofya off course,that will soon become mosque,like before
Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 10:24

Originally posted by Gharanai

Dear Azimutt,
As you mentioned "my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.", I would like to say that this experesion belongs to all muslims as everyone would like to visit the holy place once in life and everyone has a desire to kiss the holy walls of it and pray in there.
I would too like to say that "It is the best ever built and best ever blessed"

Agreed, it's always my favourate.

BTW, Here is one from Qeshqer, Uyghur region:

r

Either make a history or become a history.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 18:55

WoW so much beauty, so much culture, so much civillisation, wonderfull many of these Mosque's Westerners like me have never seen, you guys have to promote this more.

On a recent holiday to Istanbul I got to see that magical cities beautiful Mosque's I was blown away by these architectural treasure's.

A favourite has to be the Blue Mosque/ Sultan Ahmed Mosque

One of the most famous monuments of Turkish and Islamic art, the mosque is visited by all who come to Istanbul and gains their admiration.

This imperial mosque is an example of classical Turkish architecture, and it is the only mosque that was originally built with six minarets.

It is surrounded by other important edifices of Istanbul, built at earlier ages. Istanbul is viewed best from the sea and the mosque is part of this magnificent scenery.

Although it is popularly known as the Blue Mosque, its real name is Sultan Ahmet Mosque. Befitting his original profession, its architect Mehmet Aga decorated the interior fastidiously like a jeweler. Built between 1609-1616, the mosque used to be part of a large complex, including a covered bazaar, Turkish baths, public kitchens, a hospital, schools, a caravanserai, and the mausoleum of Sultan Ahmet. Some of these social and cultural buildings have not survived to our day.

The architect was a student of Sinan, the greatest architect of classical Turkish architecture. He applied a plan used previously by his master, but on a larger scale.

The main entrance to Sultan Ahmet Mosque is on the Hippodrome side. There is an outer courtyard, and the inner courtyard and the edifice itself are elevated.

From the gate opening to the inner courtyard one can view the domes, rising above one another in perfect harmony, over the symbolic ablution fountain in the middle and the surrounding porticoes.

There are three entrances to the mosque interior. The wealthy and colorful vista inside created by the paintings, tiles and stained glass complements the exterior view. The interior has a centralized plan; the main and side domes rise on four large columns that support broad and pointed arches. The walls of the galleries surrounding the three sides of the interior chamber are decorated by over 20,000 exquisite Iznik tiles. The areas above the tiles and the inside of the domes are decorated with paintwork.

The blue of the paintwork, which gives the mosque its name, was not the color of the decorations originally; they were painted blue during later restorations. During the last renovation, completed in 1990, the darker blue color of the interior decorations painted as its original light colors.

The floor is covered by carpets, as in all mosques. Next to the mihrab (niche aligned towards Mecca) opposite the main entrance, there is a marble minber (pulpit) with exquisite marble work. On the other side is the sultan's loge (box) in the form of a balcony. The 260 windows flood with light the interior space, which is covered by a dome 23.5 m in diameter and 43 m high.

The small market building, repaired and reconstructed in recent years, is situated to the east of the mosque, and the single-domed mausoleum of Sultan Ahmet and the medrese (religious school) building are to the north, on the Hagia Sophia side.

In summer months light and sound shows are organized in the park here. Sultan Ahmet Mosque occupies a focal point in city tours, together with the numerous monumental buildings and museums in the vicinity.

The minarets of the mosque are classical examples of Turkish architecture. The balconies are reached by spiral stairs. It is from these balconies that five times a day the believers are called to prayer - in our day using loudspeakers.

The domes and the minarets are covered by lead, and at the top of the minarets there are standards made of gold-plated copper. Master craftsmen repair these coverings very skillfully when needed.

Islam requires all Muslims to pray five times a day. When the believers hear the call to prayer from the minarets, they perform their ablutions (washing) and then pray. The noon prayer on Fridays and the prayers on other important holidays are performed in the mosques collectively, but other prayers can be performed anywhere.

In the communal prayers performed in the mosque, the imam takes the lead and he chants verses from the Koran. The areas of prayer for men and women are separate. In the central area only men are allowed to pray, while women take their places either behind them or in the galleries.

It is a characteristic of classical Turkish mosques that even in the most crowded day, the majority of the congregation can easily see the mihrab.

IPB Image

IPB Image 

Edited by Bulldog - 19-May-2006 at 09:57
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 13:56
Some mosques from Bulgaria.

The Mosque in Sofia  (I can't remember the name, can any Shops in here help?) 

Maktul Ibrahim Pasha Mosque (the third biggest in the Balkans) in Razgrad:

Tombul Mosque in Shumen:

Old Turkish Schoold in Kardjali (now turned into a Bulgarian historical museum):

Edited by bg_turk - 20-May-2006 at 13:57
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 14:12
Originally posted by Jay.

I'm not Muslim but my favourite Mosque is the Dome of the Rock, in Isreal.

By the way there are nice mosques in Serbia as well:

Bajrakli Mosque

The mosque in Nis

Currently the mosque in Nis looks like this:

Edited by bg_turk - 20-May-2006 at 14:13
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 18:24
Yes and Serbia had 2 mosques,not counting Sandzak region where Bosniaks were majority

Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 19:54
Bg Turk nicest mosques in Serbia are in Novi Pazar(Yeni Bazar)(Sandzak region) where Bosniaks live
Nish mosque was torched and destroyed two years ago and Belgrade mosque was heavily damaged.I wont go into details
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 20:17
Originally posted by bg_turk

Some mosques from Bulgaria.

The Mosque in Sofia  (I can't remember the name, can any Shops in here help?) 

So this is Banya Bashi mosque (the name comes from the fact that there are Baths next to it). It was built in 1576 by the great Ottoman Architect Sinan and is the only mosque that remains in the capital
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 23:20
Sofia has just one mosque?
Is that right Bg Turk?
Can you tell me about Bulgarian Muslim population
I know there are some visible minority in Plovdiv,does that city has only one mosque or more
Kurdzhali and region up to Momchilgrad has Turkish majority i think
What big Bulgarian town has heavy Muslim presence

I also found out there is town in Bulgaria called Novi Pazar in north of country?
Is this Turkish town or Bulgarian by ethnic groups
Are Turks located mainly in South or can be found in North
I know in eastern part there are very few Muslims

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 07:55
hi violantjack,

There is a topic on Turks in Bulgaria. I will try to answer your questions later here.

and also some info about the Revival Process, which saw the name changing of around a million Turks, and the deat of several thousand you can read hear:

Plovdiv does not have any mosques any more - most of them have been destroyed or left to fall appart, eventhough if you look at pictures of the town in the beginning of the century the skyline was in fact dominated by mosques. Also I think that the Banya Bashi mosque is the only one in Sofia.
I am from Kardjali by the way.

Edited by bg_turk - 21-May-2006 at 08:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>