Print Page | Close Window

Your Favorite Mosques

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7453
Printed Date: 20-May-2024 at 14:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your Favorite Mosques
Posted By: Mila
Subject: Your Favorite Mosques
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 20:36
your favorite MOSQUES

Share some photographs and information about your favorite mosques. Try to focus on mosques from your own country so that we get to see and learn about some of the most beautiful Islamic buildings from around the world. If not, we'll end up having 10,000 photographs and paragraphs dedicated to Mecca and the Golden Horn - but feel free to choose from mosques outside your country if you try your hardest not to detail a mosque already chosen by someone else!

Please, do not post if you cannot provide some basic information about the mosque and a photograph. We've already had threads where we've mentioned the name of mosques, or posted a photograph of a mosque - so in this thread, lets try to go into a little more detail!

Hadzi-Alija MOSQUE

The Hadzi-Alija Mosque was built in 1562 in the village of Pocitelj, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Pocitelj was an important fortress and, by all accounts, a thriving community at the time and so a significant amount of resources were expended to ensure it had a mosque of superior quality to anything a settlement of its size and isolation would normally have.

The mosque was built quite narrow and very tall compared to mosques from the same era elsewhere in Bosnia and Herzegovina. This is because Pocitelj is built into a steep and rocky mountainside and in order to give the building the size and stature it needed to be worthy of its purpose, the architects were forced to build upwards.

The Turkish writer Evliya Celebi passed through Pocitelj in 1664 and wrote in his travel account about the town's principal mosque:

"There is a tall cypress tree in its courtyard. This shining mosque was erected by a forebear of our lord Ibrahim Aga. Alongside the town walls, beside the water, his honored brother built a public kitchen (imaret) which distributes free bread and soup to needy inhabitants day and night. On Thursday evenings, it distributes spiced meat and savory and sweet rice dishes. The houses of the town are built one above the other, facing west towards the river. There is an abundance of walnut trees here. Since the climate is mild, fruit grows better here than in other towns."

Evliya also mentions a clock tower, which he thought had a bell "heavier and clearer than any other in Bosnia and Herzegovina" and was, according to legend, brought from Crete.

When the bell tolled the hours for Pocitelj in calm weather, it could be heard as far away as the towns of Capljina and Gabela, probably resounded from the stone into that far distance.

Of course the mosque was completely destroyed during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Today, the Hadzi-Alija Mosque has been rebuilt and is the centre of community life in Pocitelj. The village is home to roughly 200 people, two thirds of its pre-war population. During the days of Yugoslavia, Pocitelj hosted an important art colony in which more than 2,000 artists from across Europe participated. This art colony was re-opened in 1999 and Pocitelj is one again and thriving settlement, even as it rebuilds.

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Replies:
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 21:03
careva MOSQUE

In 1461, a man named Isa-bey Isakovic looked out across the Miljacka River Valley and decided he would found a city in that gentle, and beautiful place - a city that would grow to be so magnificent, none would be its equal.

So he chose to build his palace (saray) in that valley (ovasi) and for more than 30 years kept adding magnificent new buildings and architectural wonders, caring for his sarayovasi as though it were a beloved child. In addition to building a bridge across the Miljacka River, he constructed a hotel for travellers, numerous shops for tradesmen, private homes for settlers, and a magnificent mosque.

This mosque, the first in the whole of the Miljacka River Valley, he named in honor of the Sultan Suleiman I of the Ottoman Empire and as his sarayovasi grew into the city of Sarajevo, every stage in its development was witnessed by the mosque, its minaret standing strong across the duration of the Ottoman Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Yugoslavia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

As the oldest mosque in Sarajevo, the Careva Mosque holds a special place in the hearts of Bosniaks. While it may not be as large as the Gazi Husref-bey's Mosque, or as elegantly beautiful as the Ferhadija Mosque, or even as fantastically adorned as the Alipasina Mosque - it is the oldest and it was the very beating heart that grew the sarayovasi settlement into the city of Sarajevo.

-------------

Posted By: sdavidr
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 22:39
One of the famous Andalusi mosques : Aljama Mosque or "la Mezquita de Cordoba"

Source: Wikipedia
Old drawings : Universidad de Navarra

The construction of the Mezquita (originally the Aljama Mosque) lasted for over two centuries, starting in 784 A.D. under the supervision of the emir of Cordoba, Abd ar-Rahman I, who used it as his palace and named it after his wife. The Mosque underwent numerous subsequent changes: Abd ar-Rahman III ordered a new minaret, while Al-Hakam II, in 961, enlarged the plan of the building and enriched the mihrab. For unknown reasons, the Mihrab does not point towards Mecca (as it does in every other mosque). The last of the reforms was carried out by Al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir in 987.

The most significant alteration was the construction of a Renaissance cathedral nave in the middle of the structure.

Artisans and architects continued to add to the existing structure until the late 18th century.

Muhammad Iqbal was the first Muslim to pray in the Mezquita after its closure for Islam.

Old drawings

-------------

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 05:21

There are many historical mosques in Iran

Nasir-al-Molk Mosque in Shiraz:

-------------

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 05:53

The Stockholm Mosque

The Hassan II mosque in Casablance, by the water

-------------

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 07:11

JAMA MASJID {OLD DELHI}

Jama Masjid

Jama Masjid, DelhiJama Masjid of Delhi is the largest mosque in India. The Jama Masjid stands across the road in front of the Red Fort. Built between 1644 and 1658, Jama Masjid is one of the last architectural works of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. The spacious courtyard of the Jama Masjid holds thousands of faithful. Jama Masjid is located on a mound in the heart of the old city and projects beautifully into the Old-Delhi skyline. Jama Masjid Mosque was built in red sandstone and marble by more than 5000 artisans. Originally called the Masjid-i-Jahan-Numa, or "mosque commanding view of the world", the Jama Masjid stands at the center of the erstwhile capital city of the Mughals, Shahjahanbad.

The Jama Masjid was completed under the supervision of Saadullah Khan, the Prime Minister of Shah Jahan. A sum of Rs 10 lakhs was spent on the construction of the Jama Masjid. The Jama Masjid is built on a red sandstone porch, about 30 feet (10 m) from the level of the ground and is about 1400 square yards (1200 m©÷) in extent. The Jama Masjid has three gateways, four towers and two minarets. The gateways in the north and south are led by a fleet of steps. The main entrance is on the eastern side facing the red fort. It was probably used by the emperors. The tower of the Jama Masjid is made up of five distinctive storeys. Each one of the storeys has a projecting balcony. The adjoining edifices are beautifully done with calligraphy.

The first three storeys of the Jama Masjid tower are made of red sandstone and the fourth one is made of marble, while the fifth is made of sandstone. The Jama Masjid is covered with intricate carvings and has verses inscribed from the holy Koran. The grand Red fort (Lal Qila) stands on the eastern side of the Jama Masjid. The main prayer hall of the Jama Masjid is made up of high cusped arches and marble domes. The cabinet in the north gate of the Jama Masjid contains a collection of Muhammad's relics - the Koran written on deerskin, a red beard-hair of the prophet, his sandals and his footprints, implanted in a marble block.

http://www.culturalindia.net/monuments/jama-masjid.html - http://www.culturalindia.net/monuments/jama-masjid.html

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 07:15
woohow!!

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 14:14

Suleymaniye

interior

Sultan Ahmed (a.k.a. Blue Mosque)

interior

Suleymaniye is 16th century, and Sultan Ahmed is early 17th century classical style Ottoman mosques. The first is by Sinan, the second is by Sedefkar Mehmed Aga, of Sinan school. Both mosques are in Istanbul.

Yeni Cami (New Mosque)

is also one of my favourites because of its location. 17th century, in Eminonu, Istanbul.

-------------

Posted By: Hamoudeh
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 17:23

From the ones that I have seen, it would be Masjid al-Azra  (the Blue Mosque of Sultan Cemi) in Istanbul Turkey, the Ummawiyy Jama`a l-Kabeer (Great Ummayad Mosque in Damascus in Syria and an astonishing mosque in Aleppo Syria that I shamefully can't remember the name of. Pictures will follow soon insha'allah.

Ma`salam

-------------
http://www.forumforfree.com/forums/home.php?mforum=ahadunahad">

Posted By: Afghanan
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 18:17
All these mosques are so beautiful. 

-------------
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 20:37
gazi husref bey's MOSQUE

Gazi Husrev-beg's mosque (1530/31) is the most significant Islamic building in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and is distinguished by its architectural values, varied base, multi dome system and courageously constructive solution from all other sub-dome mosques built in this country. The prayer area of Gazi Husrev-beg's mosque is covered by a dome (13 m span and 26 m height), whilst the side extensions are covered by small domes. These extensions are called tetims and have separate entrances, and were used for giving shelter to the travelling dervish orders. The alter (mihrab) is covered by a semi-dome.

The architect was Persian, Adžem Esir Ali, the main architect of the Ottoman Empire at that time. In the construction of this mosque he applied the early Istanbul style that gives a recognizable mark to the whole achievement. Stone plastic and stalactite ornaments are an integral part of the universal values of the mosque. The arabesque was destroyed after the descent of the Eugen Savojski (1697). It was restored in 1762, but burned down in 1879, and was restored again in 1886.

Gazi Husrev-beg's mosque including the fountain (šadrvan), Moslem primary school (mekteb), the room for ritual washing (abdesthana), domed burial sites (turbeti), Gazi Husrev-beg's and Murad-beg Tardiæ's harem, abode for the prayer caller (muvekithana), minaret 45 m high and tower-clock, dominates the market-place and makes its central and largest complex.

With its presence through the ages this complex affected the construction activities of the surrounding areas, streets and wards (mahalas). Extensive restoration works have been executed from 1995 to 1997 since the mosque was damaged during the war 1992/95.

-------------

Posted By: amir khan
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 22:06

Badshahi Mosque- Lahore, Pakistan

Style - Mughal architecture

Built in 1674 by the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir in his favoured city of Lahore, It is based on the Jamia mosque of Delhi built by his father Shah Jehan. If the father was a passionate lover(Taj Mahal), then the son was a passionate believer, and the Badshahi Mosque was his Taj Mahal.

It stands on the banks of the River Ravi near Lahore Fort, and the complex, together with the Shalimar gardens (410 fountains) repersents the peak of mughal architecture in Pakistan.

It was once the largest mosque in the world (capacity-60,000), and is still the 2nd largest in the subcontinent.

It has a museum housing relics of the Prophet(pbuh), his daughter and Hazrat Ali.

Badshahi mosque- river view

Elevated Dome View

Badshahi Mosque Arch Detail

Badshahi Mosque-Lahore (Arabian Nights View)

Shah Faisal Mosque-Islamabad, Pakistan

Style- Modern Islamic

Built in 1986, and designed by Turkish architect- Vedat Dalokay, the mosque is among the largest in the world (capacity 100,000), and largest in the subcontinent.

The design is based on a traditional  Arabian Tent and Turkish style minarets. The mosque complex layout is also influenced by Ottoman style.

The minaret proportions correspond to the Kaaba. In the architects own words "I tried to capture the spirit, proportion and geometry of the Kaaba in a purely abstract form. Imagine the apex of the four minarets as a scaled explosion of the four higest corners of the Kaaba. Thus an unseen Kaaba is bounded by the four minarets in a pproportion of height to base akin to Kaaba. If you join the apex of each minaret to the base of the minaret diagonally opposite to it correspondingly, a four sided pyramid shall be bound by these lines at the  base side within that invisible cube. That lower level pyramid is treated as a solid body, while the four minarets with their apex complete the imaginary cube of the Kaaba."

Shah Faisal mosque- Islamabad, Pakistan

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------

As a world citizen, my favourite mosque architecture is

1- Masjid Sulemaniye(Sinans masterpiece)- Istanbul,Turkey

2- Al-aqsa-Jerusalem

3-Badshahi mosque-Lahore,Pakistan

4-Mesquita-cordova,Spain

5-Kul sharif-Kazan,Russia

Others are above, largest(apparently) mosque in Europe, Kul Sharif is below

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 03:32

The mezquita pictures are awesome!

I love those Horseshoe shaped arches and the corinthian type columns.

The overall structure reminds me a little of synagogues I have seen in central europe. Mudejar/shepardic influences?

Other amazing mosques are the great mosque of Damascus, and the Friday mosque of Isfahan, which has an amazing  mihrab.

Carved Mihrab of Friday Mosque-Isfahan

Posted By: Hamoudeh
Date Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 13:06

pictures of the Masjidu l-Azra, the blue mosque of Sultan Ahmad Cami in Istanbul:

On the left, the last 2 pictures I took when I was travelling through Turkey.

Ma`salam

-------------
http://www.forumforfree.com/forums/home.php?mforum=ahadunahad">

Posted By: Afghanan
Date Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 20:12

Although I love the mosques in my own country, this mosque is my all time favorite:

Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque - Brunei

-------------
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 04:52

For the British Entry, I am sorry but the Saudi Financed Central London Mosque in Regents Rark is not particularly impressive, nor is East London Mosque, Whitechapel.

So In fairness to what can be achieved by dedication, I present to you the Shree Swaminara Hindu Temple of Neasden, North London.

Entirely carved in India, the 3000 tons of Italian Marble and Bulgarian Limestone was first transported there, then carved and brought to london piecemeal, and put together!

The swami says "such buildings are meant to raise the conciousness of civilization"

It was opened in 1995.

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 06:39

The Jewel of All Mosques:

Shah Cheragh (The king of Light) Mosque in Shiraz, 12th century, Salghurid period

-------------

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:06

Hamoudeh,

last mosque in your last picture is not the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet), it is Suleymaniye. See my post above.

Others are above, largest(apparently) mosque in Europe, Kul Sharif is below

Both Suleymaniye and Sultanahmet are in Europe as well, along with some others in Turkey, such as Sinan's masterpiece Selimiye in Edirne. I am not sure how big Kul Sharif is (btw Kazan looks stunning in that photo), but Ottoman classical mosques are huge. I think Selimiye has the largest dome of them all.  

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:42

Kul Sharif

Kul Sharif Interior

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Both Suleymaniye and Sultanahmet are in Europe as well, along with some others in Turkey, such as Sinan's masterpiece Selimiye in Edirne. I am not sure how big Kul Sharif is (btw Kazan looks stunning in that photo), but Ottoman classical mosques are huge. I think Selimiye has the largest dome of them all.  

I thaught the ottoman mosques were larger, which is why I showed my reservations in that post, but websites below seem to imply Kul Sharif is larger. I dont know, but its dimensions are given in the first link below. Perhaps someone can comment.

Incidently I saw an hour long program on BBC tv a while back about the suleymaniye which showed it in all its glory and complemented it as Sinans masterpiece. Now I hear there is another one in Edirne, how could they produce so many! One of those alone is amazing.

Kudos to the Ottomans!

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/russianchronicles/2005/10/kazan_the_mosqu.html - http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/russianchronicles/2005/10/ka zan_the_mosqu.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qolsharif_mosque - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qolsharif_mosque

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:35

A new mosque at london olympics site 2012 could be largest when it is built.

http://acage.org/news/?day=11272005&id=0003 - http://acage.org/news/?day=11272005&id=0003

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 06:18

Dargah Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti{AJMER}

I visited Dargah of Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti about 12 years back.

The complex  
  The complex of the Dargah Sharief (Holy Shrine) is spread over a large area in the heart of the old city of Ajmer. About 4 Kms from the Railway Station and about 5 Kms from the Bus Terminal, the Complex is easily and quickly reached either by hiring an auto rickshaw or a brisk 15-minute walk. The complex houses many buildings besides the Tomb, which were constructed over a period of time by various Kings and devotees.

The buildings

The Tomb
Khwaja Husain of Nagore advised his son, who thought of accepting an offering, made by Sultan Ghiyas Uddin to spend the amount on the construction of buildings over the grave of Hazrat Khwaja Sahib and of his own ancestor Sufi Hamid Uddin of Nagore. Likewise, the tomb was constructed, and the dome over the grave of Hazrat Khwaja Sahib was raised up. The white dome is one of its kinds in India.

The Begami Dala
Click image to enlargeThis Dalan was constructed by Princess Jahan Ara Begam, daughter of Emperor Shah-Jahan in 1053 AH / 1643 AD.

The Tenement of Bibi Hafiz Jamal
In this tenement, situated very close to the tomb of Hazrat Khwaja Sahib, is laid to her eternal rest the daughter of Khwaja Sahib. The two small graves are of her two sons who dies in infancy.

Ahata-e-Noor
It is situated towards the southwest of the tomb. It is of marble. It is known as Ahata-e-Noor or the compound of Light.

The Arcot Dalan
The then prince of Arcot built this Dalan, or small hall, in the year 1207 AH.

The Mehfil Khana
It was built in year 1309 AH. The Mehfil Khana, or the place for gatherings, is where the Mehfil - e - sama (musical concert) takes place during the urs celebrations and on other special occasions.

The Big Cauldron
Click image to enlargeTo mark his expression of devotion of Khwaja Sahib, Emperor Akbar presented the Big Cauldron in the year 974 AH, after his conquest of Chittor.

The Small Cauldron
Emperor Jahangir presented the Small Cauldron in the year 1022 AH.

The cauldrons are used for preparing special food for devotees.

The Chillah of Baba Farid
This is the place, where Baba Farid Uddin Gange-e-Shakar passed his days in contemplation and seclusion. The gate of the Chillah remains close. But on the 5th Muharram each year the gate is opened.

Nizam Gate
It was built by H.E.H. The Nizam of Hyderabad. Its construction commenced in the year 1912 AD and was completed in 1915 A.D.

Click image to enlargeKalma Darwaza
Sultan Mehmud Khilji of Malwa built this gate in 859 AH.

Akbari Mosque
Emperor Akbar built this mosque in 977 AH, as a mark of thankfulness to Hazrat Khwaja Sahib, on the occasion of the birth of Prince Salim (Emperor Jahangir). It is known as Akbari Masjid (Mosque of Akbar).

Click image to enlargeShah Jahani Mosque
Emperor Shah Jahan in 1047 A.H built this mosque of white marble. It is known as Shah Jahani Masjid or the Mosque of Shah Jahan.

The Sandal Khana Mosque
Sultan Ahmad Khilji, better known as Sultan Mando, built this Mosque in the year 859 AH.

Aulia Mosque
It is situated close to Sandal Khana Mosque.

The ceremonies  

Every day, several thousand devotees throng to the tomb of Khwaja Sahib to seek his blessings and derive solace and comfort under the shelter of his love. As a mark of respect to the saint, and to invoke the blessings of Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Hasan Chishti, various ceremonies are held everyday at the shrine.

The main ceremonies that are held everyday include

Khidmat
Khidmat or service, is performed twice daily by the Khadims where the in the morning the Gates to the holy shrine are opened after azaan, the call to prayers, and offerings of fresh flowers are made after the holy wash of the mazar. Later in the evening, recitation of fateha takes place and sandalwood paste is applied to the mazar.

Roshnee
Roshnee or lighting of candles and lamps takes place in the evenings with drum beating and recitation of Persian verses.

Karka
Karka is the closing ceremony of the gates to the shrine and takes place after an hour of Isha prayer, the prayer after sunset.

Langar
Daily free distribution of food takes place where a special porridge meal is cooked. It is said that the porridge is cooked in a manner similar to that which was used by Khwaja Sahib himself. The langar takes place after the Isha prayers.

Sama (Qawwali)
Every day, renditions of devotional songs in the Praise of the Almighty and his Prophet and Saints take place at the court of Khwaja Sahib, by the Qawwals, or the traditional musicians.

Milad & Quran Recital
Recitation of the Holy Quran takes place every day at the mosques within the complex.

http://www.sufiajmer.org/html/dargah_sharief.html - http://www.sufiajmer.org/html/dargah_sharief.html

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 08:26

my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.

-------------

Posted By: Moustafa Pasha
Date Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 17:16

Old Mosques of Cairo

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/cairo_mosques.htm - http://www.galenfrysinger.com/cairo_mosques.htm

Posted By: Jay.
Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 12:32
I'm not Muslim but my favourite Mosque is the Dome of the Rock, in Isreal.

Posted By: kotumeyil
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 17:04
Originally posted by azimuth

my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.

We know the old Kaabah but what about the surrounding buildings? When were they built?

-------------
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">

Posted By: Fizzil
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 18:54

I recall the surrounding building was built by 3 or 2 muslim german architechts.

The Kaabah in meccah is the most high-tech mosque in the world, i believe, becuase even in the middle of the burning summer, the ground is still cool (uses some aircooling technique).

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 04:07

you mean the latest expansion right?

the Great mosque in Makkah was expanded many times during history you can see the older walls and doms around there.

i'll make a new thread about the expansions.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 14:34
The Breka Mosque in Sarajevo is one of the most beautiful new mosques in the city. It was designed by a Malaysian architect and built with funding from the Malaysian Embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

-------------

Posted By: Gharanai
Date Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 07:58
Fantastic topic and great pictures.
Thanks for all of them.

-------------

Posted By: Gharanai
Date Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 08:40
Dear Azimutt,
As you mentioned "my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.", I would like to say that this experesion belongs to all muslims as everyone would like to visit the holy place once in life and everyone has a desire to kiss the holy walls of it and pray in there.
I would too like to say that "It is the best ever built and best ever blessed"

-------------

Posted By: violentjack
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 18:49
Kul Sharif looks like Disneyland

Mughal mosques in Karachi,Lahore and India look enormous trust me

Favorite Ottoman is Blue Mosque,with Aya Sofya off course,that will soon become mosque,like before

-------------
Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite

Posted By: barbar
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 10:24

Originally posted by Gharanai

Dear Azimutt,
As you mentioned "my favorite mosque will be the first, the oldest and the largest one.", I would like to say that this experesion belongs to all muslims as everyone would like to visit the holy place once in life and everyone has a desire to kiss the holy walls of it and pray in there.
I would too like to say that "It is the best ever built and best ever blessed"

Agreed, it's always my favourate.

BTW, Here is one from Qeshqer, Uyghur region:

r

-------------
Either make a history or become a history.

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 18:55

WoW so much beauty, so much culture, so much civillisation, wonderfull many of these Mosque's Westerners like me have never seen, you guys have to promote this more.

On a recent holiday to Istanbul I got to see that magical cities beautiful Mosque's I was blown away by these architectural treasure's.

A favourite has to be the Blue Mosque/ Sultan Ahmed Mosque

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9538/emreuzancami8ra.jpg">

One of the most famous monuments of Turkish and Islamic art, the mosque is visited by all who come to Istanbul and gains their admiration.

This imperial mosque is an example of classical Turkish architecture, and it is the only mosque that was originally built with six minarets.

It is surrounded by other important edifices of Istanbul, built at earlier ages. Istanbul is viewed best from the sea and the mosque is part of this magnificent scenery.

Although it is popularly known as the Blue Mosque, its real name is Sultan Ahmet Mosque. Befitting his original profession, its architect Mehmet Aga decorated the interior fastidiously like a jeweler. Built between 1609-1616, the mosque used to be part of a large complex, including a covered bazaar, Turkish baths, public kitchens, a hospital, schools, a caravanserai, and the mausoleum of Sultan Ahmet. Some of these social and cultural buildings have not survived to our day.

The architect was a student of Sinan, the greatest architect of classical Turkish architecture. He applied a plan used previously by his master, but on a larger scale.

The main entrance to Sultan Ahmet Mosque is on the Hippodrome side. There is an outer courtyard, and the inner courtyard and the edifice itself are elevated.

From the gate opening to the inner courtyard one can view the domes, rising above one another in perfect harmony, over the symbolic ablution fountain in the middle and the surrounding porticoes.

There are three entrances to the mosque interior. The wealthy and colorful vista inside created by the paintings, tiles and stained glass complements the exterior view. The interior has a centralized plan; the main and side domes rise on four large columns that support broad and pointed arches. The walls of the galleries surrounding the three sides of the interior chamber are decorated by over 20,000 exquisite Iznik tiles. The areas above the tiles and the inside of the domes are decorated with paintwork.

The blue of the paintwork, which gives the mosque its name, was not the color of the decorations originally; they were painted blue during later restorations. During the last renovation, completed in 1990, the darker blue color of the interior decorations painted as its original light colors.

The floor is covered by carpets, as in all mosques. Next to the mihrab (niche aligned towards Mecca) opposite the main entrance, there is a marble minber (pulpit) with exquisite marble work. On the other side is the sultan's loge (box) in the form of a balcony. The 260 windows flood with light the interior space, which is covered by a dome 23.5 m in diameter and 43 m high.

The small market building, repaired and reconstructed in recent years, is situated to the east of the mosque, and the single-domed mausoleum of Sultan Ahmet and the medrese (religious school) building are to the north, on the Hagia Sophia side.

In summer months light and sound shows are organized in the park here. Sultan Ahmet Mosque occupies a focal point in city tours, together with the numerous monumental buildings and museums in the vicinity.

The minarets of the mosque are classical examples of Turkish architecture. The balconies are reached by spiral stairs. It is from these balconies that five times a day the believers are called to prayer - in our day using loudspeakers.

The domes and the minarets are covered by lead, and at the top of the minarets there are standards made of gold-plated copper. Master craftsmen repair these coverings very skillfully when needed.

Islam requires all Muslims to pray five times a day. When the believers hear the call to prayer from the minarets, they perform their ablutions (washing) and then pray. The noon prayer on Fridays and the prayers on other important holidays are performed in the mosques collectively, but other prayers can be performed anywhere.

In the communal prayers performed in the mosque, the imam takes the lead and he chants verses from the Koran. The areas of prayer for men and women are separate. In the central area only men are allowed to pray, while women take their places either behind them or in the galleries.

It is a characteristic of classical Turkish mosques that even in the most crowded day, the majority of the congregation can easily see the mihrab.

IPB Image

IPB Image 

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Posted By: bg_turk
Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 13:56
Some mosques from Bulgaria.

The Mosque in Sofia  (I can't remember the name, can any Shops in here help?) 

Maktul Ibrahim Pasha Mosque (the third biggest in the Balkans) in Razgrad:

Tombul Mosque in Shumen:

Old Turkish Schoold in Kardjali (now turned into a Bulgarian historical museum):

-------------
http://www.journalof911studies.com - http://www.journalof911studies.com

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 14:12
Originally posted by Jay.

I'm not Muslim but my favourite Mosque is the Dome of the Rock, in Isreal.

By the way there are nice mosques in Serbia as well:

Bajrakli Mosque

The mosque in Nis

Currently the mosque in Nis looks like this:

-------------

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 18:24
Yes and Serbia had 2 mosques,not counting Sandzak region where Bosniaks were majority

-------------

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 19:54
Bg Turk nicest mosques in Serbia are in Novi Pazar(Yeni Bazar)(Sandzak region) where Bosniaks live
Nish mosque was torched and destroyed two years ago and Belgrade mosque was heavily damaged.I wont go into details

-------------

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 20:17
Originally posted by bg_turk

Some mosques from Bulgaria.

The Mosque in Sofia  (I can't remember the name, can any Shops in here help?) 

So this is Banya Bashi mosque (the name comes from the fact that there are Baths next to it). It was built in 1576 by the great Ottoman Architect Sinan and is the only mosque that remains in the capital

-------------

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 23:20
Sofia has just one mosque?
Is that right Bg Turk?
Can you tell me about Bulgarian Muslim population
I know there are some visible minority in Plovdiv,does that city has only one mosque or more
Kurdzhali and region up to Momchilgrad has Turkish majority i think
What big Bulgarian town has heavy Muslim presence

I also found out there is town in Bulgaria called Novi Pazar in north of country?
Is this Turkish town or Bulgarian by ethnic groups
Are Turks located mainly in South or can be found in North
I know in eastern part there are very few Muslims

-------------

Date Posted: 21-May-2006 at 07:55
hi violantjack,

There is a topic on Turks in Bulgaria. I will try to answer your questions later here.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8674&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8674&PN=1

and also some info about the Revival Process, which saw the name changing of around a million Turks, and the deat of several thousand you can read hear:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11996 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11996

Plovdiv does not have any mosques any more - most of them have been destroyed or left to fall appart, eventhough if you look at pictures of the town in the beginning of the century the skyline was in fact dominated by mosques. Also I think that the Banya Bashi mosque is the only one in Sofia.
I am from Kardjali by the way.

-------------

Posted By: The Chargemaster
Date Posted: 21-May-2006 at 09:13
Originally posted by violentjak

I also found out there is town in Bulgaria called Novi Pazar in north of country?
Is this Turkish town or Bulgarian by ethnic groups

The populatiion of this town is mixed, but is mainly bulgarian-christian. In the Middle Ages this town was a bulgarian fortress which was captured by the turks in the second half of XIV century.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-May-2006 at 09:25
Originally posted by bg_turk

if you look at pictures of the town in the beginning of the century the skyline was in fact dominated by mosques.

A good proof about the turkish-moslem expansion at the expense of the bulgarians and of the other christians by the time of the turkish rule in the Balkans.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-May-2006 at 09:50
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

A good proof about the turkish-moslem expansion at the expense of the bulgarians and of the other christians by the time of the turkish rule in the Balkans.
Well, it just shows that you are no different than the Turks whom you accuse of expansionism, because you did to their culture precisely what you accuse the Turks to have done to your. Besides Bulgarian culture in many Bulgarian towns survived for more than 500 years under Turk's rule, Turkish culture and architecture in Plovdiv did not even survive the first 50 years of Bulgarian rule. By the way lets not hijack this thread, reply in the Turks in Bulgaria section, if you will.

violantjack,

by the way Charge posted maps of the distribution of Turks in Bulgaria in the thread carrying the same title in Modern History. You can check them out if you want.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2006 at 08:25
OK. http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8674&PN=5 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8674&PN=5

-------------

Posted By: Theodore Felix
Date Posted: 23-May-2006 at 11:20
I think she should be retitled "Mosques of your country" rather then your favorite mosque. lol

-------------

Posted By: Shir
Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 00:35

Artogrul Gazy Mosque in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan

Posted By: Uyghur Oghli
Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 01:16
16th Century Grand Mosque in Kuchar, East Turkestan (a.k.a. Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of China).

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 18:55
came across this newly built mosque to commemorate 1000 yrs of kazan in tatarstan.

-------------

Posted By: kingofmazanderan
Date Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 14:41
I know some one already posted this one but i like it so much i had to post it too.image
Casablanca's King Hassan II Mosque.  This one has the Tallest Minerette in the world standing at over 560 feet high.

Great shot of the Huge Minerette.

Posted By: Ave1
Date Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 20:22
Fantastic thread folks!

To date, likely on the top of my favorite posts here in this forum.  Great pictures of the Masjids around the world.  The Masjids in Bosnia were gorgeous as were the rest. 

Here is my contribution, notice the obvious chinese influenced styling of the breath taking Xian Masjid..

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 07:25

Originally posted by malizai

The new mosque in Kazan, Tatarstan

The new mosque in the capitol of Volga-Bulgaristan:

He he... A mosque in orthodoxal stile! LOL

-------------

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 07:51
I like it's cool

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 15:44
Casablanca's King Hassan II Mosque.  This one has the Tallest Minerette in the world standing at over 560 feet high.

No, Minarets of Tehran's Mosalla are taller!

-------------

Posted By: Ave1
Date Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 21:11
Cyrus,

THANK YOU for these pics as I have never seen these before!

STUNNING!

-------------
"Not one American Christian in a hundred realizes that if he lived in Israel, he would be the victim of official discrimination forced...to carry an identification card" - Joseph Sobran

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 03:41
Originally posted by amir khan

A new mosque at london olympics site 2012 could be largest when it is built.

http://acage.org/news/?day=11272005&id=0003 - http://acage.org/news/?day=11272005&id=0003

Must be a joke. And I bet it is funded by the british government.

-------------

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 14:06
Having just read the article it turns out that it is actually not a muslim mosque, but an Ahmadyia mosque. The people refer to themselves as muslims are not recognised by the global community of muslims. The carry islamic influences in the same ways as the Bihai or Alevis.

The builders of this mosque belong to the Ahmadiya, who do not hold the cornerstone of belief that Mohammed was the last prophet. You can not b muslim if u dont, i think.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 21:37
I'm surprised these haven't been mentioned before...

Here are my favourites:

Registan Samarkand, Uzbekistan

Sheikh Lotf Allah Mosque

Rawze-e-Sharif

-------------

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 10:06

My personal favorite is the stunning Selimanye mosque in Erdine- quite unique and, as ever, built by that mastermind, Sinian! Bloody good piece of architecture!

-------------

Posted By: Killabee
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 16:52
Out of curiosity, can muslims from different sects( ie Sunni and Shiites) pray in the same mosque?

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 07:50
Simple answer, Yes.

For praying actually there  is no need to a mosque. A muslim can pray any location/ground granting it is clean.

Friday (Cuma) prayings tradionally held at the biggest mosque of a city in most muslim countries. ( We do not follow this tradition in Turkey although)

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 01:15
 Does anybody have pics of Novi Pazar in Bulgaria.What is the Muslim population there

i presume novi means new in Bulgarian as well

Was this major trading center up north, towards Dobrusa.I also see southeast and northeast are only provinces in Bulgaria, where Muslims live, and there are almost majority in some.For example, i dont see many Muslims in Sofia.I think there are just one mosque there, though since one is nice mosque.Any muslims in Kustendil or eastern region.

-------------

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 11:30
The Selimanyie in Erdine- now that's nice ;) Another of Sinian's wonders. Apparently it was deliberatley built so splendid for a political rather than religious or asthetic reason- Europeans passing towards Ottoman Constatinople would have seen the splendor of this building on the way- a vast symbol of Ottoman power.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com