Print Page | Close Window

to whom should Constantinople/Istanbul belong to

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Historical Amusement
Forum Discription: For role playing and alternative history discussions.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23507
Printed Date: 27-Apr-2024 at 17:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: to whom should Constantinople/Istanbul belong to
Posted By: Sun Tzu
Subject: to whom should Constantinople/Istanbul belong to
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:12
both nations hold a significant claim to the city and region, but which nation do you think should have the city?

-------------
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:16
its istanbul not constantinople. Says it all dos'nt it?

-------------

Posted By: Challenger2
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:53
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

both nations hold a significant claim to the city and region, but which nation do you think should have the city?

Whoever is strong enough to hold on to it.

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 18:18
One nation holds a significant claim to the city, the other that did stopped existing in 1453, the other splinter in 1463.

-------------

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 18:37
I put down "other"

-because-

I believe it belongs to the Kingdom of Spain

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 18:51

Something like Istanbulopolucia?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 18:59
yea something like that

Posted By: Suren
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 19:37
It belonged to Eastern Roman empire. Since Roman empire does not exist anymore, Turkey which hold it for more than 5 centuries has the right. 

-------------
Anfører

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 20:19
   Isn't it evident? It should be Italian since us (well actually our ancestors, the Romans) invented it Wink

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 20:37
Wasn't it a Megaran colony, thus Megara should annex it as part of their city. Its already on 3 sides of the sea, why not on a fourth one. LOL And then break free and form Megara Land. Confused

-------------

Posted By: Justinian
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 21:16
Originally posted by Challenger2

Whoever is strong enough to hold on to it.
Oh well said indeed.  Realpolitik.

Realistically, only Turkey has a legitimate claim; now if the byzantine empire had survived in the peloponnesos and simply morphed into the new state of greece, then it would have a much stronger claim.  Considering this is the modern world one can't make claims on property that was lost 500 years in the past, regardless of sentimental or personal feelings with any hope of them being taken serious.  (though I will say WWII had situations where just that occured; based on the current situation only turkey has a claim, if something unforseen/unlikely were to happen that would dramatically change the situation then perhaps greece would become the main claimant)

-------------
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 21:30
I am not sure about Constaninople. Whoever invents the time machine first should get it, I guess.

-------------

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 23:53
İstanbul belongs to martians :D

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 02:06
Originally posted by erkut

İstanbul belongs to martians :D

To the Moon People actually LOL

-------------

Posted By: snowybeagle
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 02:21
The only possible change in the future I could see is the city becoming a Free City, or an independent city-state by itself, due to its unique geographical position.

And this is only possible if nationalistic lines become blurred in convergence of economic blocks where regional economy becomes free to pursue their own developments instead of requiring to be tied back to the national economy.

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 09:24
Romania obviously...

>.>
<.<
>.>

-------------

Posted By: Richard XIII
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 10:25
IndeedClap

-------------
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 10:53
It should belong, obviously, to Turkey. Along with the rest of the Balkans. Tongue

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 16:37
Nuh...it belong to the Russians.......

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 18:07
Well I don't know a whole lot about the Greek war of independence, but when the Greeks were victorius why didn't they take Istanbul??

-------------
Sun Tzu

Posted By: snowybeagle
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 03:02

Well I don't know a whole lot about the Greek war of independence, but when the Greeks were victorius why didn't they take Istanbul??
Quite a few reasons ...

First, in history, the Greeks weren't always victorious, and weren't united.

Second, the war ended with interventions from foreign powers, notably, Great Britain, France and Russia.

Had the Greeks gotten their act together to unite, they might have kept control of their own destiny.

The original Kingdom of Greece formed after Greek War of Independence was very small, confined largely to today's central Greece and Peloponnese, which aren't even close to Istanbul.

Only subsequent territorial gains in the 20th century - Macedonia before WW1, and western & eastern Thrace after WW1, brought Greek territories anywhere close to Istanbul.

Furthermore, Istanbul was the capital of the Ottoman Empire.  (Re-)conquest of Istanbul would have significantly escalated the scope of conflict from breakaway rebellions into all-out war against the Ottoman Empire.

What powers like Great Britain was not prepared to do at that time was to seriously weaken the Ottoman empire too much, or let the nascent Greek state become too large.  This was prompted by the thought that such occurrence would only benefit Russia, a rival of UK.  Not only was Russia geographically close to the region (and Britain a whole continent away), the Russians shared similar religious tradition with the Greeks - the Orthodox Church, and there were fears that the new Greek state would become a Russian satellite.

Posted By: El Pollo Loco
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 03:31
It looks as if I am the only person to vote for Greece. But there is a reason I do so. A nation is made up of its people, not the other way around. Just because the Eastern Roman Empire lost control of all its cities and lost all of its military, does't mean that it simply disapeared. I think the people apparently still thought themselves Greeks/Romans (Not sure what they called themselves). Thus, one of the reasons for the Greek War of Independence was probably because of cultural differences (the Greeks/Romans still thought themselves that, even up to that point). So, in my veiw, the nation of Greece is the "Third Rome"  so to speak, and thus the city belongs to them in that sense.

However, from the other point of veiw, the Turks own the city by right of conquest. The majority of the city identifies as Turkish, not Greek. I know that some people believe that right of conquest is not a real right, so it is really a coin toss. I think the Greeks have somewhat more right to it than the Turks, so I voted Greek.

-------------

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 09:43

Greece had the chance, and the right IMO, to take Constantinople in 1920-22. Then, Constantinople was guarded only by some allied troops (British, French etc). It had a significant Greek population, and many other non-turkish ones.
Greece made plans and was ready to storm the city. Greece didn't take the city because the big powers threatened with war if it did.
Today, with the population of the city having exploded to like 10millions, and the Greek community havingbeen expelled, Greece has few rights on the city.
But, along with the majority of Greece's population, I believe we should make the City ours once again (in the future...).Cool

-------------

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 10:32
Originally posted by xristar

But, along with the majority of Greece's population, I believe we should make the City ours once again

Well, I say good luck. Istanbul happens to have a larger population than entire Greece.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:05
I think Melbourne could just about lay claim to Greece. Tongue

Therefore, Constantinople can hereby be the capital of Hellenic Australia.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:26
Well, I say good luck. Istanbul happens to have a larger population than entire Greece.

So? We still can take it.
Keeping it is another matter...

-------------

Victory needs none.

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 13:50

Do you mind explaining how?

-------------

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by Feanor

History shows us that just becuase a city has a rather larger population than an aggressor, does not mean that the aggressor cant capture it. It has happened countless times.

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:18
Plus the Greeks are known for their ability to fight against a larger force as they have too many times in history and emerge victorious. LOL send some Spartans up there and that's all you need.

-------------
Sun Tzu

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:22
Let's see... Turkey has a larger defense budget, larger land forces, larger number of tanks, aircrafts, frigates and submarines. What is the base of your argument again?

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:51
umm who lost the Greek war of independence??? ... history is bound to repeat itself.

-------------
Sun Tzu

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:56
...and who lost the Turkish war of independence? I call this line of rationale a draw.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 19:06

umm who lost the Greek war of independence??? ... history is bound to repeat itself.

Greeks secured some part of their homeland with that war. What does that have anything to with invading a city which has almost no Greek population?

By the way, the opening post of this thread is misleading. The fact that Turkey is the rightful ruler of Istanbul is not to be contested.

-------------

Posted By: Vorian
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 22:54
What's with this thread???

10 million Turks live in Constantinople almost as many as Greek citizens today. Take back the city? To do it what? Or are we going to massacre or drive away 10 million people and bring settlers having a ghost city?

Megali Idea (or Great Idea, the movement for a Greater Greece in the 19th century) ended when all big Greek minorities were absorbed in the Greek state (by conquest or population exchange) That's all.

I won't even trouble myself voting

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by Vorian

Me too Wink

Hey Greek fellows, if you want Constantinopel, why dont you start lobbying in EU for the membership of Turkey.Wink So İstanbul becames an EU city and you all move there as EU citizens. LOL

-------------

Posted By: nova roma
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 01:03
Posession is 9/10 of the law, I guess. I know that's not true everywhere in the world, but Istanbul has been a Turkish city for the better part of 500 years. 
The only people with a real rational argument for Istanbul being part of their homeland are the Turks and Greeks, and Turkey 
obviously has the upper hand in this argument.

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 03:36
i'm with vorian and erkut. (Greece does support the membership BTW)

There is no need to take any city. If the day comes, when both sides get over the whole animosity (when the patriarch is respected by his own nation) we can visit The City freely and do so with Turkish hospitality and security. This already happens, but im talking much more of the same. There is no modern answer by force that doesn't involve great and unnecessary harm and risks (more so for the smaller combatantStern%20Smile) to two groups essentially related to each other and what open and friendly borders couldnt already achieve.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 04:03

Plus the Greeks are known for their ability to fight against a larger force as they have too many times in history and emerge victorious.
Greeks arent bullet proof and only have enough strength to defend against Turkey at best for the medium term. I suggest you look at some key numbers; costs of weapons and ammo, the number of men who turn 18 in both countries every year, the budgets that can practically be allocated to such an adventure. also assume you will need a combination of numerical superiority (as an attacker) and technological superiority (we have threads in here on both side). does Greece have both and if so can it maintain such a edge for how long? Im pretty sure i know what that answer is but maybe some other readers need to actaully think about this realistically in terms of modern warfare-current demographics.

Seroroiusly, taking a city of that size would be militray suicide and a humanitarian nightmare that makes Grozny look like a entree serveing. Even if Greece has an edge on technology and numbers, a crazy government , and executed a perfect blitzkrieg style attack to cut through the thraki defenses .... it all goes to sht when you enter a state of urban warfare. The harm to the Churches and the Patriarch would be unbearable to those that want them to remain intact.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 04:36

Plus the Greeks are known for their ability to fight against a larger force as they have too many times in history and emerge victorious. LOL send some Spartans up there and that's all you need.

Turks too Tongue you must not have read much upon Ataturk.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 04:43
Originally posted by Vorian

10 million Turks live in Constantinople almost as many as Greek citizens today. Take back the city? To do it what? Or are we going to massacre or drive away 10 million people and bring settlers having a ghost city?

Megali Idea (or Great Idea, the movement for a Greater Greece in the 19th century) ended when all big Greek minorities were absorbed in the Greek state (by conquest or population exchange) That's all.

LOL

No, call Mr. Scotty on the Enterprise to beam them up

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 04:46
Originally posted by Leonidas

Plus the Greeks are known for their ability to fight against a larger force as they have too many times in history and emerge victorious.
Greeks arent bullet proof and only have enough strength to defend against Turkey at best for the medium term. I suggest you look at some key numbers; costs of weapons and ammo, the number of men who turn 18 in both countries every year, the budgets that can practically be allocated to such an adventure. also assume you will need a combination of numerical superiority (as an attacker) and technological superiority (we have threads in here on both side). does Greece have both and if so can it maintain such a edge for how long? Im pretty sure i know what that answer is but maybe some other readers need to actaully think about this realistically in terms of modern warfare-current demographics.

Seroroiusly, taking a city of that size would be militray suicide and a humanitarian nightmare that makes Grozny look like a entree serveing. Even if Greece has an edge on technology and numbers, a crazy government , and executed a perfect blitzkrieg style attack to cut through the thraki defenses .... it all goes to sht when you enter a state of urban warfare. The harm to the Churches and the Patriarch would be unbearable to those that want them to remain intact.

Look how difficult Baghdad is too hold with a population of ca. seven million people. Securing that many people in a city enviroment and pacifying it is extremely hard even with local support as that proves it with daily attacks, etc.

I think the Patriarch will be respected within his own country, and the Balkans as a whole will gain some freaking common sense and begin to heal rifts.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 05:18
I am still saying that Spain has more right to this city than either Greece or Turkey. Just putting that out there

Posted By: Illirac
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 08:48
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I am still saying that Spain has more right to this city than either Greece or Turkey. Just putting that out there

I think it should be Vatican

-------------
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.

Posted By: Akolouthos
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 08:56
Originally posted by Illirac

LOL

And why, may I ask, is that?

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 11:59
Is  there  any  oil  there? 
If so, it will  belong to the U.S., just like the former Persian empire; Iraq  Afgan,  soon Iran.

If it doesn't have oil,  then the Turks, or  who ever  wants it, can keep it.Clown

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 12:21

The land for the Birds

The Sea for the Fishes and Dolphins

Humans have every other city on Earth, its time for the animal kingdom to establish an Empire, all hail the Eagle King Big%20smile

If Turkey joined the EU all of Istanbul could migrate to Europe, leaving Istanbul free to be conquered by Greeks.

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 17:32
Here's an idea. Let a country neutral in this rule it as a free city. E.g. Britain. Not the USA, they can't rule their own country freely.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 18:37
Re-form Rome! An easy solution. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 18:57
this is interesting. return all cities to the one who founded it. lets give Köln (Cologne) back to Italy, Riga back to Germany, and the American east coast to England...

there would be major landshifts as well, Spain would abandon Iberia for the Italians and move into Latin America! TongueBig%20smile

-------------

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:19
Originally posted by Brit 456767

Here's an idea. Let a country neutral in this rule it as a free city. E.g. Britain. Not the USA, they can't rule their own country freely.

An idea might have been to make it a "Free City" after WWI.

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Vorian
Date Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:30

Why? It's not like Greece disputes the ownership....it's just a romantic longing for the "Capital of Christianity", shared not only by Greeks but by Russians, Bulgarians, everyone who was influenced by the Byzantine empire.

It should be noted that during the Balkan wars, the Bulgarian army headed straight to Constantinople, since Tzar Ferdinand fancied himself the throne of Tzarigrad, which failed and led to limited conquest of land in Macedonia, and the second Balkan war.

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:04
Originally posted by Jazz

An idea might have been to make it a "Free City" after WWI.
welcome back jazz long time since ive seen you here.

Brit 456767, Britain is not neutral.

there's an old quote that fits any comment about the vatican or align country

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 14:29

Not the USA, they can't rule their own country freely.

And the award for most asinine comment goes to...

We rule our own country freely, Ouch how un-free is our ruling of the USA exactly. We have an electoral process, a parliament, a president, every state has individual rights to determine state policy, etc...

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 14:33
Being flippant here. Let's take Megara from Greece and control of the Ithsmus canal, and Constantinople from Turkey with control of the Bosphorus and Hellespont and join them back together. Two city states with a common history, and today centred on control of naval passageways, reunited.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 18:47

That's how http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr5DeJ3fv9w - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr5DeJ3fv9w
Evil%20Smile

Now, seriously speaking, I don't think Greece will ever capture Constantinople. Not because we can't, but as said already, there is no point in it.

So don't worry...Big%20smile

-------------

Victory needs none.

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 17:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr5DeJ3fv9w - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr5DeJ3fv9w
....oooops, is this a casus belli?

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 17:57
I watched that 5 second clip and I am still scratching my head 10 seconds later

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 20:40
I watched that 5 second clip and I am still scratching my head 10 seconds later

What's this that you don't get of this very sophisticated clip?

-------------

Victory needs none.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 01:14
All i see is a sign of a crecent moon, and a random guy running from out of the bushes

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 01:23
He's supposed to be a greek soldier assaulting turkish positions.
But you're excused, as there were some greek guys, who despite the exact explanation in greek, still didn't understand the video...

-------------

Victory needs none.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 02:16

Not because we can't, but as said already, there is no point in it.

Again, you forgot to mention how Greece can take Istanbul from Turkey.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 02:18
i did...
watch the very informative video

-------------

Victory needs none.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 02:23
We will cross the river, we will break your front, we will encircle you. Then we'll proceed to Constantinople. We'll enter the city and rise the Greek flag. We'll also put some cross on Agia Sofia.
Satisfied?

-------------

Victory needs none.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 02:28
No. I thought this subforum was for semi-serious discussion, not totally irrelevant nonsense.

By the way, what's with all these videos in YouTube? Isn't that illegal?

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 03:47
Its only illegal if you "think" what you are doing is illegal

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 08:55
What should be illegal?

-------------

Victory needs none.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:07

We will cross the river, we will break your front, we will encircle you. Then we'll proceed to Constantinople. We'll enter the city and rise the Greek flag. We'll also put some cross on Agia Sofia.
Satisfied?

Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:08
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Being flippant here. Let's take Megara from Greece and control of the Ithsmus canal, and Constantinople from Turkey with control of the Bosphorus and Hellespont and join them back together. Two city states with a common history, and today centred on control of naval passageways, reunited.

I suggested that earlier in the thread too

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by es_bih

We rule our own country freely, Ouch how un-free is our ruling of the USA exactly. We have an electoral process, a parliament, a president, every state has individual rights to determine state policy, etc...

And Guantanamo Bay is?????

Then there is the fact you have capital punishment, different laws in different places...

Also Britain is neutral, the House of Commons isn't.

And that just about sums up British Politics...

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:56

Gog and Magog will come and take every piece of Costanbul

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 17:51

Satisfied?
Dead

I mean, what's the answer to this question supposed to be?

-------------

Victory needs none.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 18:05

And Guantanamo Bay is?????

Then there is the fact you have capital punishment, different laws in different places...

Don't preach to me on morality while excluding Britain's notorious history of consistent repression throughout its colonial enterprise.

Guanatamo Bay is outside of the US, and is not representative of internal US dynamics. Last time I checked I can go outside freely and protest any issue I deem contestable. The actions done under the American banner such as Guanatamo are horrid, though not representative of how actually internal American dynamics function so your statement is false.

That can be applied for any other country. America is neutral, Congress isn't....

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 11:20

ha, no way. Most Greeks would disagree, they are about as neutral as Isreal

Britain was involved in the Greek civil war to start with, and is too involved in Cyprus to be considered a neutral power.

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 10:50
Might makes right, etc, etc.

-------------

Posted By: Anton
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 11:34

Don't preach to me on morality while excluding Britain's notorious history of consistent repression throughout its colonial enterprise.

Guanatamo Bay is outside of the US, and is not representative of internal US dynamics. Last time I checked I can go outside freely and protest any issue I deem contestable. The actions done under the American banner such as Guanatamo are horrid, though not representative of how actually internal American dynamics function so your statement is false.

That can be applied for any other country. America is neutral, Congress isn't....

This is amazing. And those people tend to teach democracy the whole word LOL

-------------

Posted By: Julius Augustus
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 13:18
this is moot and academic, if by fact that you are using former nations ruling Constantinople such as the Greeks and stating that this city belongs to them then you have to state it as well that this city, which was built by the Romans belongs to them more so or the Persians who ruled the lands before them or the Lydians or may be the Trojans. it belongs to who is in it right now I say. not the Greeks, not the Romans, not the Persians nor the Trojans, to the Turks. 

Posted By: Anton
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 14:07
This city was not build by Romans -- it is older than that. As far as I know, some claim it is Greek colony while others that it is Thracian city. Greek colony seems to be more likely as Thracians mostly lived  deep inland.

-------------

Posted By: Julius Augustus
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 14:53
but they did occupy the area. another statement to write, it might belong to the Thracians as well.

Posted By: Illirac
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 15:07
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by Illirac

LOL

And why, may I ask, is that?

-Akolouthos

I have missed some posts Confused
Why Vatican? So that they get something larger...

-------------
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.

Posted By: Chilbudios
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 15:26
This city was not build by Romans -- it is older than that. As far as I know, some claim it is Greek colony while others that it is Thracian city. Greek colony seems to be more likely as Thracians mostly lived  deep inland.
The ancient Byzantion is a Megarian colony, founded somewhere in the first half of the 7th century BC. The name of the city however seems to be Thracian (like in the case of another Megarian colony in this area - Selymbria). It is also possible the pre-existence of a Thracian settlement.

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 15:28
Originally posted by Anton

Don't preach to me on morality while excluding Britain's notorious history of consistent repression throughout its colonial enterprise. Guanatamo Bay is outside of the US, and is not representative of internal US dynamics. Last time I checked I can go outside freely and protest any issue I deem contestable. The actions done under the American banner such as Guanatamo are horrid, though not representative of how actually internal American dynamics function so your statement is false. That can be applied for any other country. America is neutral, Congress isn't....

This is amazing. And those people tend to teach democracy the whole word LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com