Forum Discription: Debates on topical, current World politics
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19217
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 07:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 21 Dead in Virginia Tech shooting
Posted By: Adalwolf
Subject: 21 Dead in Virginia Tech shooting
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 14:55
Today there was a terrible shooting at Virginia Tech University, 21 people are dead. This is the worst school shooting in US history.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html - http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

I don't understand how people can do this.

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Replies:
Posted By: Genghis
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 15:16

It's actually 32 now.  I go to Virginia Tech and study engineering there, as does my sister who studies animal science.  We are both safe and all those we know personally are safe.

I was on campus when this happened.  I was sitting in a chair of one of our longues when my mother called me and told me that my sister had just been on the phone with her and told her of a shooting in her dorm room.  I then proceeded to the computer lab part of the building to check the university website and was in there when the building was put on lockdown.  Across the entire campus police cars and armed law enforcement officers from across the entire region and the state swarmed about.  A group of people from a neighboring building were evacuated through our building and told us of the greater massacre.  A personal friend of mine had a class in that building, but it was cancelled today.  Another friend of mine teaches in that building, but was fortunately unharmed.

It's insane to see this on the news and recognize all the place names and realize you've taken classes in the building that is now a crime scene.  We all wish we could wake up from this and have it all be a terrible dream.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 15:29

may God be with their families,it is madness,why he did that no one will know.

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 15:41
Originally posted by Genghis

It's actually 32 now.  I go to Virginia Tech and study engineering there, as does my sister who studies animal science.  We are both safe and all those we know personally are safe.

I was on campus when this happened.  I was sitting in a chair of one of our longues when my mother called me and told me that my sister had just been on the phone with her and told her of a shooting in her dorm room.  I then proceeded to the computer lab part of the building to check the university website and was in there when the building was put on lockdown.  Across the entire campus police cars and armed law enforcement officers from across the entire region and the state swarmed about.  A group of people from a neighboring building were evacuated through our building and told us of the greater massacre.  A personal friend of mine had a class in that building, but it was cancelled today.  Another friend of mine teaches in that building, but was fortunately unharmed.

It's insane to see this on the news and recognize all the place names and realize you've taken classes in the building that is now a crime scene.  We all wish we could wake up from this and have it all be a terrible dream.
Genghis,I am so glad you are safe and your friends too. 

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 16:12
Glad both of you are safe considering these awful things happening is such close proximity to you recently.

Posted By: Majkes
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 16:14
But why does it happen so often in US? what can be the reason except that people have easy access to weapon? It can't be the main reason cause I think in Canada it is the same thing with the weapon as in US but such tragedies don't happen.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 16:16
Glad you are safe, fellows. And I am sorry for the kids that died.

Any ideas of whom was the animal that killed so many people? What's behind all of this and why the U.S. suffers this attacks every few years?

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 16:31
Absolutely shocking... Glad to hear you and your sister are safe and well Genghis.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 17:13
I am glad to hear you and your sister are safe Genghis! My heart goes out to the families of the victims. I still don't know the motive of the gunmen- I don't know if anybody really knows. I just don't understand why a person would commit such a crime.

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 17:15
Originally posted by Majkes

But why does it happen so often in US? what can be the reason except that people have easy access to weapon? It can't be the main reason cause I think in Canada it is the same thing with the weapon as in US but such tragedies don't happen.

Actually there was a shooting at a college somewhere in Canada about a year ago. If I remember correctly it was in Montreal? Anybody else remember this one?

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Posted By: Dan Carkner
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 18:48
Yes, only 1 person died I think.  It was at Dawson college in Montreal.

Posted By: DukeC
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 18:55

The first thought that came to my mind when I heard was if you were a student there. Good to hear you're ok, it must be terrible for everyone there.

-------------

Posted By: Lord Ranulf
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 19:09
Senseless and tragic many well wishes to the students and families who have all suffered loss today.

Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 19:40
Thanks for your words of sympathy guys, it really does mean a lot to us at Virginia Tech.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 20:07
glad ur safe genghis. also i heard that the shooter was originally gona kill his girlfriend, couldnt find her at her dorm. and when the RA came and saw him and asked what he was doing the guy shot him. Also he roamed around campus for two hours to get to the spot where he killed 32 people. Does anybody have a clue how come nobody noticed him during those two hours? Does he have accomplices that are still out there?

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 20:24
I will never understand this sort of thing.

Glad to hear you & your family and freinds are safe Genghis.

-------------

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 20:45
Ghengiz

Im so sorry to hear this man, it must be terrible, I'm glad your safe and well, hope the injured ones get better.

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Date Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 20:57
What's with April?

The Columbine shooting was on April 20th eight years ago, the shooting in Taber Alberta a week after that. Last week a teen was arrested in Calgary for planning to attack his high school, and now this, the worst ever.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 01:08

Genghis was the first person I thought of when I heard. Very glad you are allright.

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 02:44
How absolutely horrific, glad Genghis is alright. What this incident will provoke here is more thought on exactly what enables a person to go on a sustained shooting rampage which lasts two hours.

-------------

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 04:12
Gheghis, my first thought went to you when I heard. Glad you are safe!

There will never be an explanation for these things...it is the very absence of reason.... My sympathies to the families of the ones that died...

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 06:05

Im also glad your safe and that you didn't witness the horror being so close. ive read some accounts of one of the survivors, one word: Horrible

Originally posted by Majkes

they get more than their fair share, Australia lost 35 people (37 wounded) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre -

Posted By: maqsad
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 08:58
This could be the guy, or maybe not?

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:06
I believe the loe shooter was amongst the dead. Plus, the police pinned umerous people down to be safe and only release them when they were eliminated as suspects. He's probably just a lucky student

-------------

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:23
This could be the guy, or maybe not?

Considering a) he looks alive and b) he still has a head, i doubt it.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 10:01
he is reported dead, and apparently is South Korean so maybe they were just taking down anyone that fit that profile.

edit: the shooters name is reported as  Cho Seung-Hui

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/everybody-loved-stack/2007/04/17/1176696813395.html -

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 10:41

Genghis, happy that you are safe...

Are the murders 2 hours before the massacre done by the same guy?

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:55
First of all, i'm once again shocked about this outbreak of violence.
Hope the bereaved, the families and friends, will have enough support to handle this trauma. And of course, Genghis i'm glad to hear you are ok.

But at the next moment i'm totaly confused.

What's wrong in this society, that once again, someone saw his only way out of his problems, to shoot down univolved?

What's wrong with a society, wher eyeryone can get weapons to do a massacre ?

What's wrong with a society, who accepts the death of  thousands and thousands, as long it happens somewhere in the orient, but collapse when it happens in it's middle?

Who cares about the dead children of Bagdad, Dafour and in all other places of this lovely earth?

I hope, that all this persons in charge will find the right conclusions. But  have second thoughts.

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 15:46
Glad to see your alright Genghis. Seems very depressing and horrible to here about this...

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 16:08
Glad to hear you're Ok Genghis, only this morning i heard it was at Virginia Tech and immediataley though of you. good to hear nothign happend to you nor your sister.

-------------

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 16:47
Genghis, happy that you and your friends are safe.

what a nonsense waste of life.

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 16:52
For Genghis:

Jim, we are all Hokies today.

Posted By: Maharbbal
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 17:03
Glad you've made it safe. Deepest feeling to the friends and relative of those who died there.

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Posted By: Aydin
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 18:26
From what is being described by the media, he was apparently extremely depressed and may have been taking medications. He was also a loner and not a single person in the whole university knew him properly to the extent that the university and the police had trouble getting information about him.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 23:22
Today I found out the husband of one of my old German professors got killed.  My current German professor sent out an email informing all of us in her class.  One of our French professors was also killed.  I never took French or knew her, but the departments are all very close. 

The saddest part to me is that one of the engineering professors who died was a Holocaust survivor who died blocking the door so his students could escape.

Even in this time of great sorrow though, spirits are high as they can be and all of us are determined to get through this together and no one I know is considering anything but staying at Virginia Tech, our home.

Too bad that times like these are necessary for us to feel the camaraderie that we should always feel.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 23:45
Genghis, I'm glad to hear that you are all right in the middle of all of this madness. I'm sorry to hear that people you knew and respected, as well as those you didn't know personally died. Like most of the nation my prayers are with the victims, the killer and their families. May they all find their peace.

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 01:28
The saddest part to me is that one of the engineering professors who died was a Holocaust survivor who died blocking the door so his students could escape.

Cry

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 03:51

There is a growing social problem in the US right now.If i remember correctly ,it was a few years or months ago when children carrying weapons entered schools and started shooting everybody.The US laws about guns must be revised.

Also ,the fact that this man was psychologically disturbed ,shows the bad side of living in an highly industrialized society.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 07:29
May Allah give patience to those who lost their beloved onesCry

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 08:36
I am of course saddened by the whole affair and happy at least for Genghis and his sister.

But frankly I was worried very much by the militaristic nature of the 'convocation' ceremony that was televised yesterday. These were not soldiers killed in battle, they were ordinary young people, tragically slain by a madman.

So why play Taps? Why the military ceremony of retiring the colours? Why so many uniforms around? 

A religious ceremony I can of course understand. But not all the uniforms and the flags.

-------------

Posted By: Ovidius
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 08:46

Indeed, I felt this was quite sad. He must have been a remarkable character - living through the War, the Communist takeover of Romanian and the Ceausescu dictatorship and 70's Israel. I bet he was interesting to talk too!

I wish there was some way of working out why this sort of thing happens.

Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 09:59
Originally posted by gcle2003

I am of course saddened by the whole affair and happy at least for Genghis and his sister.

But frankly I was worried very much by the militaristic nature of the 'convocation' ceremony that was televised yesterday. These were not soldiers killed in battle, they were ordinary young people, tragically slain by a madman.

So why play Taps? Why the military ceremony of retiring the colours? Why so many uniforms around? 

A religious ceremony I can of course understand. But not all the uniforms and the flags.

Don't be upet about the uniforms, etc.  VPI was initially a college based somewhat on the French Ecole Polytechnique, with variations, but with a military student body.  The corps of cadets is very important there, and is certainly part of the student body.  Virginia Tech students are, I think, OK with that.

Those lost were their classmates and their professors as well.

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 15:36
I'm not sure if you can blame social problems for the incident. Afterall, the guy was mentally ill. He just had a gun. Key word, a gun Unhappy

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: Theodore Felix
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 16:09
Your right. History is filled with murderous psychopaths. Today they have guns, yesterday, knives and swords.

Posted By: pekau
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 22:47

Good to know that you are safe, Genghis. I'd hate to post a funeral...

It's a pity that such bloodshed occured. Really, they should do something about gun regulation.

But I think it could have been avoided. I mean, everyone in his class knew that the villian was mentally ill. He once wrote the play consisting very violent and bloody plot. He was totally antisocial, had headphones all the time... didn't bother to reply to the teachers... and skipped several classes. He supposedly had "girl-problems", which I don't quite get. Do they have time to flirt in university? I heard that his teacher recommended his to go to guidence counseling... once again, it proves how useless guidence counseling is.

Someone could have reported something. I even heard that one of the classmate knew that he possessed a gun before the shooting.

But overall, a great tragedy. May the victims rest in peace... 

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 23:28
Originally posted by pekau

Really, they should do something about gun regulation

I agree, they should let the sane students on my campus carry guns with them for when the psychos go crazy.  I went out and bought a handgun and mace the day after this happened, and some mace for my sister.  Earlier this year a prisoner from nearby prison escaped in the area and for a while they thought he might have been on Virginia Tech.  A lot of people wrote into our school newspaper saying that we should be allowed to have guns on campus and that that incident was an example of that.  People called them crazy and said that there was no reason to carry a gun on campus.  Well, Monday was another example. 

This bastard had obviously planned this thing out months in advance, and given how marijuana and other illegal things are easily purchased in the Virginia Tech area, I don't see how this guy would have been unsuccessful in getting a handgun if that is what he really wanted.

From this day forth, I plan on getting a concealed carry permit and carrying a handgun with me for protection.  The law of probability says I'll probably never need to use it, but the law of probability didn't save 32 of my classmates.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 23:31

But I think it could have been avoided. I mean, everyone in his class knew that the villian was mentally ill. He once wrote the play consisting very violent and bloody plot. He was totally antisocial, had headphones all the time... didn't bother to reply to the teachers... and skipped several classes. He supposedly had "girl-problems", which I don't quite get. Do they have time to flirt in university? I heard that his teacher recommended his to go to guidence counseling... once again, it proves how useless guidence counseling is.

Someone could have reported something. I even heard that one of the classmate knew that he possessed a gun before the shooting.

But overall, a great tragedy. May the victims rest in peace... 

They did pretty much everything they could have without being sued for violating his rights.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 23:48
It seems like the school is located at a really safe area, thus the initial morning shooting on campus shoot raise concerns immediately, followed by a lockdown. The school is kind of at fault in this aspect.

Glad to hear your family is safe Genghis

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 00:26
I don't blame the school.  They found two bodies, a boy's and a girl's, and in 99 times out of 100, it's a spur of the moment love triangle killing.  After that had happened they also took a suspect in for questioning, and then afterwards nothing had happened and the police seemed to be handling it, and lockdown was removed.  I don't blame them and hardly anyone at Tech is either.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 01:36
Originally posted by çok geç

I'm not sure if you can blame social problems for the incident. Afterall, the guy was mentally ill. He just had a gun. Key word, a gun Unhappy

This guy is not the first in the US going somewhere and starting shooting everybody without a cause.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 01:38
From what I hear, in the past the shooter was reported for stalking women on two seperate occasions and brought in for questioning by the police. They refered him back to the school disiplinary board for action. This person should have been in a psychiatric hospital, not a University.

-------------

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 03:44
Originally posted by Sparten

Genghis was the first person I thought of when I heard. Very glad you are allright.

Same here, Amen!  Thank goodness you are safe Tongue

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 03:51

Really, they should do something about gun regulation

I agree, they should let the sane students on my campus carry guns with them for when the psychos go crazy.  I went out and bought a handgun and mace the day after this happened, and some mace for my sister.  Earlier this year a prisoner from nearby prison escaped in the area and for a while they thought he might have been on Virginia Tech.  A lot of people wrote into our school newspaper saying that we should be allowed to have guns on campus and that that incident was an example of that.  People called them crazy and said that there was no reason to carry a gun on campus.  Well, Monday was another example. 

This bastard had obviously planned this thing out months in advance, and given how marijuana and other illegal things are easily purchased in the Virginia Tech area, I don't see how this guy would have been unsuccessful in getting a handgun if that is what he really wanted.

From this day forth, I plan on getting a concealed carry permit and carrying a handgun with me for protection.  The law of probability says I'll probably never need to use it, but the law of probability didn't save 32 of my classmates.

I disagree, gun ownership is not the answer.  What the school should do is teach students how to wisely act in such instances.  In instances such as this and Columbine, the aggressor is deranged; to not be victimized, realize that you must think very clearly and not over react.  The worst thing to do is show up with a gun in front of someone who is already deranged.  There were examples of Virginia Tech students quite level headedly protecting themselves and coming out unscathed and unharmed, by using their wits, not their muscles.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 11:56
Originally posted by DukeC

From what I hear, in the past the shooter was reported for stalking women on two seperate occasions and brought in for questioning by the police. They refered him back to the school disiplinary board for action. This person should have been in a psychiatric hospital, not a University.

They can't force him into therapy if he doesn't want it.  I wonder if laws will change in the wake of this to allow the authorities to force people to undergo psychiatric therapy.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 12:40
I applaud your descision to get a concealed weapon permit, Genghis. This shooting has made me think about getting one as well. If just a few people on the campus had a concealed weapon permit perhaps there would have been fewer victims. 

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 13:04
Weapons have a nasty habit of harming their owners, my step-dad has a concealed weapons permit in Washington state and I think I worry more about accidental discharge than anyone attacking him. Training on how to safely handle and use a firearm, especially a handgun, is important.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 13:30

It's not the answer, in limiting attacks from armed psychopaths, to allow all people to carry arms, because then -by default- you will arm even more psychopaths. It is extremely doubtful that citizens would be able to defend themselves -even if armed- and certainly we cannot all

carry weapons everywhere we go and be responsible in using them. It's practically impossible. Rule is that if you have a gun at some point you will use it, and 99% will be for the wrong reason.

Banning guns entirely is a more proper approach. It is unheard in most civilized countries that a 23 year old student, without being a known criminal, would be able to possess 2 handguns!

The idea that one (Genghis for example) could purchase a gun at will is appalling. It is no accident that such actions occur mostly in countries where gun control is limited.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Northman
Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 13:43
Indeed a tragedy - one of my students is currently on the university as an exchange student. Luckily is is safe like Genghis.

However, it disturbs me equally to read comments like these.... 

Originally posted by Adalwolf

I applaud your descision to get a concealed weapon permit, Genghis. This shooting has made me think about getting one as well. If just a few people on the campus had a concealed weapon permit perhaps there would have been fewer victims. 

So you guys wants to wheel back time to the Good Old West - each man his own safety? 
No law and order - just the law of the jungle - kill or be killed?
Is that the vision you have for a future USA? 
I would have expected more refined thinking patterns from the cream of american youngsters - like you guys.

Don't you realise that, if the criminals can expect every civilian to carry a handgun, they will arm themselves with machineguns, and your concealed cal. 32 will have the same effect as a peagun - if you ever get a chance to use it?
But then of course, YOU will get a machinegun - right?

You will be escalating your already excessive gun related murder rate to astronomical figures in no time.

Start thinking, stop the madness and go for a strict weapon control instead.
Give your police and authorities a chance to enforce their job which already is almost impossible due to the number of weapons on the streets and in the homes.
I know the American fascination for guns, the dogme's about personal freedom and the pioneering free spirit. I know them well enough to realise this wont be easy. But its necessary.

But the route you are heading will contradict every move towards personal freedom.
You will end up with a nation with even more paranoia - where every citizen is more scared of the neighbor down the road, than the one up the road.

This post is just a comment - not an attempt to derail the topic.
As such, no answers needed.

~ Northman

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:15
OK...this is already getting bogged down in the "cowboy-American mindset" bullsh*t.

Let's keep our eye on the ball.  Thirty-some academics and promising, intelligent young people will be having funerals. 

For anyone who doesn't like America, drop it until later please.  We hear enough of that as is.

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:19
Perhaps a separate thread about gun-control/ownership should be created?

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:20

I agree.

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:36

Few days ago, i heard in the radio, that the most popular career wish among the german youth is to become a pathologist. If they want to act like Eric Delko (CSI Miami) they have to produce more victims. In as far we are on a good way.

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I agree.

Good idea.

This thread should be about remembering the people who lost their lives and supporting the survivors.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 17:40

I agree.

Good idea.

This thread should be about remembering the people who lost their lives and supporting the survivors.

Good luck.  Once the opportunity to bust balls is exhausted, the ball busters will move on to other things - just like locusts in a field.  Wink

That really is too bad.

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:08
Originally posted by Northman

So you guys wants to wheel back time to the Good Old West - each man his own safety? 
No law and order - just the law of the jungle - kill or be killed?
Is that the vision you have for a future USA? 
I would have expected more refined thinking patterns from the cream of american youngsters - like you guys.

Don't you realise that, if the criminals can expect every civilian to carry a handgun, they will arm themselves with machineguns, and your concealed cal. 32 will have the same effect as a peagun - if you ever get a chance to use it?
But then of course, YOU will get a machinegun - right?

I see your point, but I rather have something to protect myself rather than being massacred like the victims. And yes, I would prefer to have a machinegun rather than being shot like a dog.

Rumur is that he was looking for someone when he started the massacre. And he shot the dead bodies again. Crazy kid...Dead

-------------

Join us.

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 21:06

I agree.

Good idea.

Good luck.  Once the opportunity to bust balls is exhausted, the ball busters will move on to other things - just like locusts in a field.  Wink

That really is too bad.

Since Adalwolf suggested, and established, a thread on gun laws and control, there have been like 38 posts there, to 3 or 4 in the original Virginia Tech thread.

So much for giving a crap for the slain students and teachers of the university.  What a load of insincere, opinionated opportunism.  What a bunch of phonies.

Disgusting.

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 00:51
When all is said and done, James is alive and well, something that more than a few of us here weren't sure about a few days ago.

-------------

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 02:36
The shooter is simply frustrated... This event confirmed the idea I read in Social Psychology long ago... Frustration leads to violance... Violance is the most common violance among those frustrated.

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:03

Frustration leads to violance

Correction frustration leads to stress, stress may lead to violence against yourself or others but it can also lead into a spiral of repression and psychosis.....uh wait I'm just making the same point aren't I?

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:53

I don't follow you pikeshot, since when is this thread intended to offer sympathy? I had the impression that threads in this forum are to discuss the events and the reasons that led to them.

Since Adalwolf suggested, and established, a thread on gun laws and control, there have been like 38 posts there, to 3 or 4 in the original Virginia Tech thread.

So much for giving a crap for the slain students and teachers of the university.  What a load of insincere, opinionated opportunism.  What a bunch of phonies.

Disgusting.

I can see that you're emotional but try to get a grip and not to insult others for not having the same mindset or sensitivities as you.
I admit that I don't feel much sympathy for people I don't actually know, I mean people die around us every day and there's not much I can do about it. 15 kids died in Egypt in a car crash, more than 200 civilians died yesterday in Iraq from car bombs etc. I'm interested in discussing the events, not in offering sympathy that I don't genuine feel and which is  -frankly- quite useless.

-------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: TeldeInduz
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 05:49
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

The shooter is simply frustrated... This event confirmed the idea I read in Social Psychology long ago... Frustration leads to violance... Violance is the most common violance among those frustrated.

He was obviously frustrated. They're saying it's probably a biological psychiatric disorder, but he was probably just pushed too far. I read one article where he wouldn't read aloud in class because everyone laughed at his accent when he did. He was probably ostracized, perhaps racism played its part, but it still doesnt excuse what he did, of course.

-------------
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 08:00
Yiannis,

The first comment about remembrance and support was made by another forumer, not me.

Your comment that you admit you don't feel much sympathy for people you don't know is revealing.

Don't you dare criticize me for the way I think.

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 09:00

Yiannis,

The first comment about remembrance and support was made by another forumer, not me.

Apologies, I misquoted you....

Your comment that you admit you don't feel much sympathy for people you don't know is revealing.

I admit that if a tragedy does not affect me personally, then it is only an event. I feel bad that hundreds of thousands have died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and I'm sure the families of the dead of 9/11 are still mourning, still to me, sad as they may be and as I feel them to be, these are just events that do not effect me personally and therefore I cannot pretend to be profoundly touched by them.

This fact does not make me by itself a better or worse person than the next one, it's just my way of dealing with my environment.

Don't you dare criticize me for the way I think.  

Never crossed my mind to do so. I know you (and vice versa) for quite some time and respect both your opinions and the way you express them. I may disagree at some points, still this is quite healthy for debate's sake, I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 12:09
Originally posted by Yiannis

[QUOTE=pikeshot1600]

I posted that, as one of our members here actually has to deal with the personal affects of this tragedy. Shouldn't there be special considerations for his feelings.

-------------

Posted By: hugoestr
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 13:15
Maybe we should lock this thread and have one thread for remembering people and one for gun control.

After all, it was the pro-gun side that brought the issue up. And if I remember correctly, some of those who are demanding respect for the death were all for the pro-gun discussion.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 13:33
We shoudl change the title. It's 32. Well, 33 if you include the killer.

-------------

Join us.

Posted By: Balaam
Date Posted: 16-May-2007 at 05:57
Well already a game has been made about the incident.

Anger over Aussie's V-Tech massacre game
Wednesday May 16 19:38 AEST

A 21-year-old Sydney man has created the first known computer game based on the recent shooting spree at Virginia Tech university in the US, sparking a wave of criticism.
The game follows Cho Seung-hui's killing spree at Virginia Tech in April, in which he killed 32 people before turning a gun on himself.
The game's creator, Ryan Lambourn, who lives in Sydney's west, says he won't remove the game from his own website or seek to have it removed from amateur game sharing site Newgrounds.com.
Called V-Tech Rampage, the game can be freely downloaded from either site and has made headlines in Australia as well causing a stir on a number of blogs and online news sites around the world.

Mr Lambourn on Wednesday backpedalled on previous demands for money in exchange for the game's deletion, describing the ransom as a joke.
He had said on his website googumproduce.com that he would only remove V-Tech Rampage from the Newgrounds website if he received a $US1,000 ($A1,200) "donation".
For $US2,000 ($A2,400) he would remove it from his own website and for $US3,000 ($A3,600) he would apologise for the stunt.
He said no one had taken him up on his offer.
"That's exactly the point I was trying to prove," Mr Lambourn said.
"These people talk and talk and are angry and are telling me `you have to take it down, it should be taken down, you gotta take it down' and no one's even come near it because they'd rather talk about it."
The unemployed man said he created the game for "laughs" and that he had previously composed music relating to other events such as Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and the death of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin last year.
He said the game was supposed to provide an insight into the killer's mindset.
"What he did was caused by something," he said.
"From what I do know about him, from his plays, from what he did to prepare for it, he's very human, fragile.
"From what I can tell he's probably having a hard home life."
Mr Lambourn said he would not take down the game under any circumstances, including if he received a request from the victims' families.
"I'm afraid not," he said, but added: "I hope they'd never do that."
He said he empathised with the killer and that he, like Cho, had been a victim of abuse and bullying at high school.
Mr Lambourn was born in Australia but grew up in the US before returning to Australia when he was 14.
He said he left school in the eighth grade having been bullied and abused at several institutions in Texas, Maine, New Jersey, New York and North Carolina.
He described himself as a self-taught animator who was supported financially by his mother who still lives in the US.
V-Tech Rampage resembles another production that followed the Columbine massacre in 1999, in which two students killed 12 people before turning their weapons on themselves in a shooting spree at the Colorado high school.
Daniele Ledonne, who made Super Columbine Massacre RPG (SCMRPG), said he was "torn" over whether he should distance his game from V-Tech Rampage and its creator.
Mr Ledonne said SCMRPG was never a for-profit endeavour and that he had never demanded cash in exchange for the game's removal from the internet.
Meanwhile, Newgrounds is yet to remove the game but has created a forum for users to discuss the issue.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=267734 - http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=267734

and here is a link to the game: http://googumproduce.com/vtech.php - http://googumproduce.com/vtech.php

-------------

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 16-May-2007 at 08:53
What a sick person. Making a videogame over a tragic loss of life and goes even further to say he empathizes with a mentally ill killer... Sounds like someone should set him straight and make him think twice before he brings further hurt to families.
Creating a game for people to enjoy a massecre, it's sick in every way...

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Posted By: Ovidius
Date Posted: 16-May-2007 at 10:08
that guy clearly is an idiot.

Ok, he can make his stupid game - he's free to make what ever distasteful crap he wants too. But too demand money for its removal - thats like emotional blackmail, really rubbing peoples faces in it. I think thats totally inexcusable, there should be a law for people like him.

Date Posted: 16-May-2007 at 13:49
That's nothing new, after the Columbine shooting a man created a game that featured video clips that the killers shot of themselves and the point of the game was to re-enact that day.

It's the price that we have to pay for freedom of expression.

-------------

Posted By: Balaam
Date Posted: 17-May-2007 at 08:41
Well it seems that the guys website where he had the game has been taken down, I guess if enough people complain the server has no choice but to suspend his website.

On Newgrounds.com where the game still is he put this as a comment to the game:

"LOL my site is down because they got too many angry emails and they wont put it back up with vtech still on it. Atleast Newgrounds still believes in freedom of speech, thanks."

-------------

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 11:22
Key findings of investigation into the massacre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/30_08_07_virgtech_report.pdf - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/30_08_07_virgtech_report.pdf

-------------

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 22:20
This guy was a member of 4chan b board? I remember a German newspaper's article about this tragic incident , which depicted the asian guy and above his picture a dialogue were he ("anonymous") declared that he will do "it" in Virginia's university.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com