Print Page | Close Window

How long did the Roman Empire survive?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18809
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 22:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How long did the Roman Empire survive?
Posted By: NeuralDream
Subject: How long did the Roman Empire survive?
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 16:13
In your opinion. From when to when?

Replies:
Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 16:19
From 146 B.C. up to the 5th century.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 17:13
     How about Roman civilization? How long would you say that lasted....

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 20:58
Roman civilization? Wouldn't it still be considered going strong?

The Western Roman empire lasted up until about...456? 476 AD? And the Eastern Empire survived on until sometime in the mid 1400s, I believe, so you coudl say it lasted over a 1000 years. maybe even pushing 1500?

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:50
Roman Civilization never ended. It just transformed in other things. Latin language, for example, is still alive in the Romance languages of Southern Europe. Roman rituals are preserved by the Catholic church. Roman literature, engineering and arts become Western.

In the East, become The Bizantine Empire, and then transformed into Russia.

In the West still exists as part of the Roman Catholic church bureocracy and customs. Most Western European countries has a Roman heritage as well.

For example, it is curious that the Roman province of Hispania become Spain and Portugal, and that at the times of the Conquist, those people believed somehow they were the inheritors of the "Romans", with language, art, literature included.

So, in a certain way, Rome never ended. It is part of the mentality in Britain, France, Italy, Iberia, Russia and all other Western countries and it was the model for the Colonialism.

Pinguin

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 23:04
Rome influenced the West, it still exists today in many ways like Pinguin said. It also has had a good influence on the English language too. I can't imagine what the world would be today without the Roman Empire. Imagine our architecture and language without their influence? It's be a whole new world.

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 01:08
241BC-476AD

-------------

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 01:15

I agree with Pinguin, Roman Civilization never ended, many of Rome's invaders, including Germans, even practiced Roman customs.

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 01:28
1453AD official fall of the Roman Empire, with the fall of the last capital and the death of the last Emperor. Roman civilization is still there in many ways.

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 04:49

In my opinion the Western Roman Empire ended when Odoacer took the throne. At the moment that a person who cosidered himslef to be non-Roman took the throne, the Empire of old came to and end, and a new phase started.

On the other hand, rulers and peoples from Clovis to Charlemagne to Otto to Barbarossa considered themselves the worthy sucessors of the Roman Emperors. So there is a gap here between what people themselves saw at the time and the judgements we can now make with hindsight.

As for the Eastern Empire. I am not too well into it, but in my opinion it would be the same. The moment the last Greek/Roman Empreror was replaced by a nongreek/roman. (would that be Sulyman?)

Originally posted by pinguin

Eh? How?

Personally I do not believe in the Roman Cultural legacy. It was more than 1500 years ago. I am convinced we picked up a lot more essentials in later times than we retained from Roman times. And most of what we do still seem to have is conceived rather than real or realistic. Our perception of what the Romans were, or what we want them to be, washed through 1500 years of history.

edited - to correct my horrible English into understandable sentences (and failure to do so)

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 05:38

Moscow didn't become the next Rome, even if their church may have you believe it. Russia became the next orthodox power but thats the only connection i can think of with East Rome.

When Mehmed II conquered The City, he ended the roman imperial throne in its entirety while the Roman arch-patriarchy survived.

Posted By: Praetor
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 08:17
hmmm......it depends what you mean by the empire, if you mean a Roman state ruled by an emperor then it starts with the reign of Augustus in 27BC and goes too the fall of Constantinople in  1453AD or a little bit further to the collapse of the "empire" of trebizond in 1461 AD, if you go by the collapse of the empire of trebizond then that is 1488 years! if you mean the state of Rome starting with the foundation of the city, which according to legend took place in 753 BC (historians are unsure exactly when Rome was founded but date it to the same century as the myth) and ending again with either 1453AD or 1461AD with the slightly larger of the two potential time frames bieng 2214 years!!!! If you mean Roman culture then the number is far larger as others have pointed out that its still going but a culture is not an empire so the answer has been provided (in some cases approximately) by this information.

Regards, Praetor.

-------------

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by Leonidas

Moscow didn't become the next Rome, even if their church may have you believe it. Russia became the next orthodox power but thats the only connection i can think of with East Rome.

When Mehmed II conquered The City, he ended the roman imperial throne in its entirety while the Roman arch-patriarchy survived.

He proclaimed his self Ceasar remember LOL

but If he took Italy and Rome would he be realy Ceaser?

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 23:12
I am taking Henri Pirenne's views and say that not just Rome, but the classical world ended when Islam conquered North Africa and the Near East which has ruptured the Roman mare nostrum

Posted By: Theodore Felix
Date Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 14:51
People need to distinguish between empire and culture. They are not one and the same, in fact they can be very mutually exclusive. Empire is physical control, culture is a way of life.

The Roman Empire ended with the deposing of the last emperor(476 and 1453, respectively). As for culture, that is a matter of debate...

Posted By: NeuralDream
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 12:16
I would also say 146BC - 1453AD. Just wanted to see what the majority believes.

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 19:02

Latin Roman empire 146 B.C. - 476A.D.

Greek Roman empire 476 A.D. - 1453 A.D.(especially after  620 A.D. )

-------------

Posted By: Leonardo
Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:27
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

As for the Eastern Empire. I am not too well into it, but in my opinion it would be the same. The moment the last Greek/Roman Empreror was replaced by a nongreek/roman. (would that be Sulyman?)

I would say that after the fall of Constantinople there were in Europe still three entities pretending to be the heirs and somehow the continuators of the Roman Empire: the Habsburgs in Austria, who up to 1800 AD beared the title of Holy Roman Emperor, the Tzars in Russia, who from Peter the Great on called themselves "Imperator" (the Latin way) and the Ottoman Sultans, who beared, amongst others of course, also the title of Qaisar-i-Rum.

These multinational Empires lasted up to WW1, so only after WW1 there were no more heirs of Roman Empire at all. What do you think about?

Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:32
I should have added the Spanish Empire too Smile.

Posted By: olvios
Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:50
And kaiser the german . A great deal of europe  continued to  have the  holy roman empire theme  if even  partly.

-------------
http://www.hoplites.net/

Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 05:06
Originally posted by olvios

And kaiser the german . A great deal of europe  continued to  have the  holy roman empire theme  if even  partly.

The German Empire (the Second Reich I mean) lasted too little and it was never a real multinational empire as the other cited were.

Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 05:12
Yeah i just hate kaiser for some reason and he popped up in my head when the caesar wannabe personialities came up.

-------------

Posted By: zeno
Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 05:21
5th Century or WW1...

-------------

Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 06:03
The truth of the matter is we cannot answer this question without first defining one term: Roman Empire.

Roman Empire may be defined as the autocratic state, highly militatarised, using the prefecturate administrative structure inherited from the republic, ruled largely by an Italian elite at its core, multiethnic and multilingual in the people it ruled.

Because of this definition, I would put the end of the Empire at the reign of Heraclius. It was not the coming to power of Heraclius which ended the Roman Empire, but rather the events which occurred during his reign which so transformed its character that we cannot truly call it Roman any longer.

During this period (610-640 AD), the Empire finally dispensed with Latin and Greek became the true language of the law and administration. It was during this period also that the Empire began to lose much of its multi-ethnic character and transformed into a Greek state. The prefecture structure of administration and organisation was finally gotten rid of - instead the distinctly Byzantine thema system replaced it. The rulers were now truly Hellenic rather than Roman in their tastes, language and world outlook - with a strong fusion of Christian ideas also.

While the Empire may have had a chance to rest and then go on to recover her former Western territories, this ideal was shattered forever by the eruption of Islam onto the world stage. No longer was the Empire the Roman hegemon, losing and reconquering territory as had been the fashion for the previous four centuries. Instead she was the Byzantine Empire, continuously engaged in a struggle with Islam for her very survival. The notion of Roman centrality and universalism died during the reign of Heraclius.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 07:04
the ww1 i dont like

-------------

Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 07:25
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The truth of the matter is we cannot answer this question without first defining one term: Roman Empire.

Roman Empire may be defined as the autocratic state, highly militatarised, using the prefecturate administrative structure inherited from the republic, ruled largely by an Italian elite at its core, multiethnic and multilingual in the people it ruled.

Because of this definition, I would put the end of the Empire at the reign of Heraclius. It was not the coming to power of Heraclius which ended the Roman Empire, but rather the events which occurred during his reign which so transformed its character that we cannot truly call it Roman any longer.

During this period (610-640 AD), the Empire finally dispensed with Latin and Greek became the true language of the law and administration. It was during this period also that the Empire began to lose much of its multi-ethnic character and transformed into a Greek state. The prefecture structure of administration and organisation was finally gotten rid of - instead the distinctly Byzantine thema system replaced it. The rulers were now truly Hellenic rather than Roman in their tastes, language and world outlook - with a strong fusion of Christian ideas also.

While the Empire may have had a chance to rest and then go on to recover her former Western territories, this ideal was shattered forever by the eruption of Islam onto the world stage. No longer was the Empire the Roman hegemon, losing and reconquering territory as had been the fashion for the previous four centuries. Instead she was the Byzantine Empire, continuously engaged in a struggle with Islam for her very survival. The notion of Roman centrality and universalism died during the reign of Heraclius.

i'd go along with that

-------------

Posted By: centurion
Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 10:50
Since the question is "how long did the Roman Empire survive?", the precise answer -for me- is: from Augustus to Constantine. Before Augustus there was the Roman Republic, and after Constantine there were the Western and Eastern Roman Empire.

But if we "enlarge" the meaning of the question, I can agree with many more possibilities, like those explained by Leonardo (and others like Pinguin).

I personally like to remember that there were successors of "Caesar" until WWI (the Kaiser, the Czar, etc..) or until the conquest of Abissinia by Mussolini in 1936 (who proclamed the "rebirth" of the Roman Empire around the "Mare nostrum", as Romans called the Mediterranean sea). It is interesting to note that Nostradamus cited -in his typical confusing way- that ...the "last of the Caesars" will try to recreate the Roman Empire when "Hister" will devastate the world....

In our times the last "concrete" reference to something similar to the Roman Empire was done by Adenauer and De Gasperi when was created the European Economic Union in the fifties with the "Treaty of Rome". They boasted at that moment that -with the future entrance of Spain and England- it was going to have the same borders of the Western Roman empire in Europe.

Anyway, many catholic historians judge that 1453 was the end of the Roman Empire, but they write that the Pope (as recognized "head of Rome" from Charlemagne) is the spiritual heir of the "rulers of Rome" and their civilization (so for them the Roman empire survives in the catholic church "empire", with a transformation like that of a kind of spiritual "butterfly" ).

Centurion

-------------
CIVIS ROMANUS SUM

Posted By: Larus
Date Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:08
 Technically, in true political terms- the last remnant of the Roman Empire fell with the fall of German and A-H Empires after the wwi (or in 1922 if we calculate the Ottoman empire as one of the pretenders- and in many ways we rightfully should).
Other remnents of the Roman empire were- West Roman empire, East Roman (Byzantine) empire, Bulgarian empire, Sultanate of Rum, Latin Empire in Constantinople, Empire of Trebizond, Serbian Empire, Holy Roman Empire, Russian Empire and French Empire (I think- that's about it).
So it lasted from 27 BC to 1918 (1922).

Date Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:22
I do not buy these artificial links between the Roman empire and later ones. The only link between the Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire is a lot of wishful thinking, same for any that came after.

The only direct continuum of the Empire was the Byzantine empire, and that ended well and good with the Ottomans. Any other claims are just desperate attempts to create continuity where there is none.

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Date Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:35
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I do not buy these artificial links between the Roman empire and later ones. The only link between the Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire is a lot of wishful thinking, same for any that came after.

The only direct continuum of the Empire was the Byzantine empire, and that ended well and good with the Ottomans. Any other claims are just desperate attempts to create continuity where there is none.

Perhaps you are right, but still, that "wishful thinking" was a crucial political agenda of the following era.

Date Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:58
Perhaps. But 'which empires were hoping to be like the Roman Empire' was not the question at hand. The question is when did the Roman Empire end. And the answer to that is not 1922.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-May-2007 at 12:12
Well, if you put it like that- than the Byzantine Empire was not a Roman Empire- it was a Greek Empire. So we can also remove Constantinople from the equation and the eventual Ottoman conquest.

P.S. The question is not "when did the Roman Empire end?", but "How long did th Roman Empire survive"

Posted By: nikodemos
Date Posted: 02-May-2007 at 17:41
After the reign of Heraclius in the 7th century, the byzantine empire consisted mainly of greek speaking provinces.Egypt and the provinces of the Middle East were conquered by the islamic arab armies.Until that time the empire used two official languages,greek and latin.After the reign of Heraclius latin was not used anymore.The official language was greek only.It took however some centuries more before one could say that the byzantine state had become a totally greek state.
Heraclius didn't use the term imperator on the coins , instead he used the greek term for the king.

The Roman empire in my opinion survived until the 5th century in the west when the last roman emperor abdicated and until the 7th century in the east.

Date Posted: 03-May-2007 at 02:21
Things are not so clear-cut ...

"Not until the time of Emperor Otto III [983-1002] did Western Emperors consistently start calling themselves "Imperator Romanorum" [Roman Emperor] in direct challenge to the "Basileus Romaion" of Constantinople. Otto III took this step on the prompting of his mother Theopano, a princess from Constantinople who understood the subtleties of the problem. The "Basileus Romaion" of the time, Basil II [reigned 976-1025] was not a kinsman of Theopano, and she desired to elevate her son above the competition at Constantinople by calling Otto "Imperator Romanorum." Of course, well-informed people in the West knew already that the best way to insult the authorities in Constantinople, if that was the goal, was to deny their identity as Romans. Call them "Graecus:" that translated to "Hellene," that implied pagan as well as not Roman. "
http://www.romanity.org/htm/fox.01.en.what_if_anything_is_a_byzantine.01.htm - http://www.romanity.org/htm/fox.01.en.what_if_anything_is_a_byzantine.01.htm

Another interesting stuff (I already posted time ago):
http://www.assemblage.group.shef.ac.uk/4/4turner.html - http://www.assemblage.group.shef.ac.uk/4/4turner.html

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 03-May-2007 at 07:11
Originally posted by centurion

Since the question is "how long did the Roman Empire survive?", the precise answer -for me- is: from Augustus to Constantine. Before Augustus there was the Roman Republic, and after Constantine there were the Western and Eastern Roman Empire.

But if we "enlarge" the meaning of the question, I can agree with many more possibilities, like those explained by Leonardo (and others like Pinguin).

I personally like to remember that there were successors of "Caesar" until WWI (the Kaiser, the Czar, etc..) or until the conquest of Abissinia by Mussolini in 1936 (who proclamed the "rebirth" of the Roman Empire around the "Mare nostrum", as Romans called the Mediterranean sea). It is interesting to note that Nostradamus cited -in his typical confusing way- that ...the "last of the Caesars" will try to recreate the Roman Empire when "Hister" will devastate the world....

In our times the last "concrete" reference to something similar to the Roman Empire was done by Adenauer and De Gasperi when was created the European Economic Union in the fifties with the "Treaty of Rome". They boasted at that moment that -with the future entrance of Spain and England- it was going to have the same borders of the Western Roman empire in Europe.

Anyway, many catholic historians judge that 1453 was the end of the Roman Empire, but they write that the Pope (as recognized "head of Rome" from Charlemagne) is the spiritual heir of the "rulers of Rome" and their civilization (so for them the Roman empire survives in the catholic church "empire", with a transformation like that of a kind of spiritual "butterfly" ).

Centurion

Before the reign of Caesar Augustus, Rome was already ruling over people of many different ethnicities and cultures. So to assume that Rome was already an Empire, before the crowning of the First emperor, would be a correct assumption.

Posted By: nikodemos
Date Posted: 04-May-2007 at 07:03
Originally posted by Leonardo

Things are not so clear-cut ...

"Not until the time of Emperor Otto III [983-1002] did Western Emperors consistently start calling themselves "Imperator Romanorum" [Roman Emperor] in direct challenge to the "Basileus Romaion" of Constantinople. Otto III took this step on the prompting of his mother Theopano, a princess from Constantinople who understood the subtleties of the problem. The "Basileus Romaion" of the time, Basil II [reigned 976-1025] was not a kinsman of Theopano, and she desired to elevate her son above the competition at Constantinople by calling Otto "Imperator Romanorum." Of course, well-informed people in the West knew already that the best way to insult the authorities in Constantinople, if that was the goal, was to deny their identity as Romans. Call them "Graecus:" that translated to "Hellene," that implied pagan as well as not Roman. "

the Byzantines called themselves Romans because they had an uninterrupted history dating back to the founding of Constantinople and the split of the Roman empire to two halves.The emperors of Byzantium continued the line of the eastern roman emperors and saw themselves as the only heirs of Rome because it gave them prestige to be called Kings of the Romans than king of the Greeks.This was the official state propaganda.But by the time of the 10th century the Byzantines were greeks, not romans.
The majority of the common people spoke greek
The language of the Church was greek
the language of administration was greek
the language of the scholars was also greek
and finally they were called Greeks in the west and by the Pope

On the other hand Venice or the kingdom of Sicily were truly roman.
For example the common people in Venice spoke a language derived from latin
they had uninterrupted history since the roman times,
the language of their church was latin and the language of administration and of the scholars was also latin.

In my oprinion by the time of the reign of Basil II(10th century) Byzantiun represents medieval hellenism, not Rome.

Posted By: Balain d Ibelin
Date Posted: 04-May-2007 at 10:43
What did you ask??

If Roman Civilization, I think it'll never end, the Roman Civilization started at about 800 B.C. where Clans are fighting near Rome.

If Roman Empire, was started during the age of Julius Caesar when defeating rival Pompeii (Also known as Pompeius) at 46 BC and ended at the time of Emperor Diocletianus  (This one is the United Roman Empire), since Diocletianus's time (about 200 ADs), the Empire divided into the Western Empire (Rome), and Eastern Empire (Byzantine).
The Western Empire fall at about 476 AD when the Barbarians slaughtered the Romans and Raid the Empire.
While the Eastern Empire (Byzantine) fall at 1453 when the Ottoman Sultan, Mehmet II sieged Constantinople.

If Roman Republic, is started about mid 400 BCs, when Brutus "The Silly" defeated King Lucius Tarquin and made a Republic with himself as the first leader.

ConfusedConfused

-------------
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux

Date Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:23
that its such a complex question is a fantastic testament to the romantic side of Rome.

As a civilisation it marked an epoch, and we are all still gripped like a vice in the repercussions of those times

-------------

Posted By: Ironduke
Date Posted: 05-May-2007 at 23:04
The Roman Empire lasted as a continuous political entity from 27 BC to 1453 AD.   The early Byzantine Empire can also be considered the "Late Roman" period.  The change from "Roman" to "Byzantine" was gradual.

-------------
Admin of the http://www.worldaffairsboard.com - World Affairs Board
Geopolitical, Military, & Defense Discussion
351,000 posts - 4,100 members

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 01:11
Rome was founded in 753 B.C.
During the reign of Emperor Constantine, Constantinople became the prominent city of the Roman Empire, and after the fall of the Western half of the Empire is 476 AD, the Eastern Roman Empire continued the Roman Civilization until it's ultimate demise in 1453 AD. All in all, that is 2,106 years.

If you really want to stretch it, we could say that Trebizond was an even further continuation of Rome, which would then mean that Rome lasted until 1461 AD, pushing her total years to 2,114 years. But I think that's too much of a stretch.

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 02:17
How is another ten years too much of a stretch when associated to an already 2, 106 years? And Rome's founding date is rather mythical, the city's real founding date might have been around there or around the 650s. That is 244 years to be covered by the reign of seven Kings in an age where old age was drastically lower then our perceptions. On average that would be 34.86 years per King, In other words lets assume that each reigned for about that long, then of course if there was a sucessor to the throne he would be rather old after his father's long reign, or in case of some of the non dynastic kings, they must have been older to gain the influence necessary for the thronre. 650 Seems a much better date than 753 if there were only seven Kings of the Roman Kingdom, which preceded the Roman Republic. Either way adding ten years to that number does not seem that much of a stretch to me.

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 02:34
Heredity was not so much an issue with the Roman Kings as it was in medieval Europe. Romulus did not leave a son, sometimes the Romans chose an unrelated Sabine as king to keep the Sabines happy, while the last King simply married the daughter of the previous king and so was not a son as we know it.

It is possible a couple of 50 year reigns occurred, lowering the reigns of the other 5 kings to a bit under 30 years. It's a stretch, but not impossible.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 02:45
Heredity was not so much an issue with the Roman Kings as it was in medieval Europe.

If anything, the Romans saw heredity as a negative trait, since it signaled decline, a view that was shared by most of the hellenistic world.

Its not coincidental that Rome's last king was also the first real inheritor of the throne.

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 20:32

Heredity was not so much an issue with the Roman Kings as it was in medieval Europe. Romulus did not leave a son, sometimes the Romans chose an unrelated Sabine as king to keep the Sabines happy, while the last King simply married the daughter of the previous king and so was not a son as we know it.

It is possible a couple of 50 year reigns occurred, lowering the reigns of the other 5 kings to a bit under 30 years. It's a stretch, but not impossible.

I do know that heredity was not stressed upon by Roman kings, the Senate voted the new King into office. however, while it may be theoretically possible, to say the least such a claim that seven kings ruled over two hundred and forty plus years is practically not very likely. Even a thirty year reign is a bit much for some of the kings who are described to have been elected rather late in age, and in addition to that you would have to leave it up to chance to have all seven of the kings live into old age, that is not always the case either. Too many coincidences would have to have occured for this to have been possible.

Resarch confirms continued habitation from around 1000BC at the site, so what may have been the case is that the various herders, and villagers, combined slowly into one Latin city, and strongmen were slowly replaced by Kings, considering that almost all of Rome's official records were burnedi n 390 when the Gauls sacked Rome, a whole line of Kings might have been possible, with the seven or six (and Romolus as patron) surviving by word of mouth on the virtue of their achievements and popularity.

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 20:35
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Heredity was not so much an issue with the Roman Kings as it was in medieval Europe.

If anything, the Romans saw heredity as a negative trait, since it signaled decline, a view that was shared by most of the hellenistic world.

Its not coincidental that Rome's last king was also the first real inheritor of the throne.

They did. Family names were important, however, those were not always, nor was it stressed upon for them to be, continued by blood, adoption was a favorable option to boost your family's honor and virtue through the adoption of a suitable heir to the already famous name.  

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 22:35
Originally posted by es_bih

How is another ten years too much of a stretch when associated to an already 2, 106 years? And Rome's founding date is rather mythical, the city's real founding date might have been around there or around the 650s. That is 244 years to be covered by the reign of seven Kings in an age where old age was drastically lower then our perceptions. On average that would be 34.86 years per King, In other words lets assume that each reigned for about that long, then of course if there was a sucessor to the throne he would be rather old after his father's long reign, or in case of some of the non dynastic kings, they must have been older to gain the influence necessary for the thronre. 650 Seems a much better date than 753 if there were only seven Kings of the Roman Kingdom, which preceded the Roman Republic. Either way adding ten years to that number does not seem that much of a stretch to me.
It's not the length of time that is the stretch, but rather who's adding the extra decade. The "Byzantine" Empire was a direct continuation of Rome, and the people knew that, calling themselves "Roman" and legitimately so. Trebizond only ever became influential after the 4th Crusade, when it became the refuge of the Komneni. But the rulers of Trebizond did not take on the same Roman concepts as "Byzantium". There's more, I just don't have it on the top of my head. So anyways, I hope that clarifies that it's not adding 10 years that makes it a stretch, but rather Trebizond being considered "Roman" enough to add those 10 years that is a stretch.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 22:41

Heredity was not so much an issue with the Roman Kings as it was in medieval Europe. Romulus did not leave a son, sometimes the Romans chose an unrelated Sabine as king to keep the Sabines happy, while the last King simply married the daughter of the previous king and so was not a son as we know it.It is possible a couple of 50 year reigns occurred, lowering the reigns of the other 5 kings to a bit under 30 years. It's a stretch, but not impossible.

I do know that heredity was not stressed upon by Roman kings, the Senate voted the new King into office. however, while it may be theoretically possible, to say the least such a claim that seven kings ruled over two hundred and forty plus years is practically not very likely. Even a thirty year reign is a bit much for some of the kings who are described to have been elected rather late in age, and in addition to that you would have to leave it up to chance to have all seven of the kings live into old age, that is not always the case either. Too many coincidences would have to have occured for this to have been possible.

Resarch confirms continued habitation from around 1000BC at the site, so what may have been the case is that the various herders, and villagers, combined slowly into one Latin city, and strongmen were slowly replaced by Kings, considering that almost all of Rome's official records were burnedi n 390 when the Gauls sacked Rome, a whole line of Kings might have been possible, with the seven or six (and Romolus as patron) surviving by word of mouth on the virtue of their achievements and popularity.
Just thought I'd point something out: For centuries Troy was considered to be total myth, made up by Homer to tell a great but entirely fanciful tale. Then it was discovered that Troy actually did exist, and Homer's descriptions were very accurate. And what was in the hand of the man who discovered Troy? None other than Homers "fanciful" ILIAD. The ancients knew what they were talking about, and I believe that most of their stories are more fact and less fiction. And until given any hardcore evidence to the contrary, I will trust the date if 753 B.C. and the record of seven kings as facts.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-May-2007 at 23:41
It is also a fact that their state records were burned in 390BC.

Aside from that point, Trebizond, just like the Empire of Nicaea were successor states, the only reason we see the Emperor in Nicaea acknowledged as Emperor now is because his successors were able to regain Constantinople, however, both and the Despotate of Epirus were all Byzantine on the same level to me. They all had legitimate authority in their region as the sucessor states to the dismembered Empire in 1204AD.

Date Posted: 10-May-2007 at 20:54

It is also a fact that their state records were burned in 390BC.

Aside from that point, Trebizond, just like the Empire of Nicaea were successor states, the only reason we see the Emperor in Nicaea acknowledged as Emperor now is because his successors were able to regain Constantinople, however, both and the Despotate of Epirus were all Byzantine on the same level to me. They all had legitimate authority in their region as the sucessor states to the dismembered Empire in 1204AD.

Yes, I am well aware that Epir and Trebizond were legitimate authorities. But neither one managed to restore the Empire after it's fall, in 1204 or in 1453. Had all three failed to restore the Empire, then I would believe that Rome had ended in 1204. Also, in the hypothetical scenario that Trebizond restored Rome sometime after 1453, then it would count as a legitimate continuation. But because the Roman Empire was destroyed in 1453, and has not been resurrected since, I would say that 1453 is the end date of Rome. The point about Trebizond being a successor state is why I said it would be a stretch, because the claim can be made, but very loosly, because Trebizond failed to restore the Empire, both after 1204 and after 1453.

-------------

Posted By: The Hidden Face
Date Posted: 10-May-2007 at 21:04
Originally posted by Pinguin

Eastern Roman civilization was what the West call middle eastern civilization today, which clearly shows how much alien the West is to the eastern Romans.

Examine The eastern Roman's architecture, literature, music and so forth.

Date Posted: 10-May-2007 at 23:42
They did. Family names were important, however, those were not always, nor was it stressed upon for them to be, continued by blood, adoption was a favorable option to boost your family's honor and virtue through the adoption of a suitable heir to the already famous name.

Heredity, to the Romans, was the idea that you descended from somebody who gained numerous high posts during his life. Since good blood spreads, if one person did good the other expected to do good.

But it was not "inherited", meaning, while you would have an easier time, you would not be simply pushed up the ranks because of your birth(ideally, although it did happen). The Roman myth of Superbus, which came from actual Hellenic mythology and history(here in particular it is modeled after Athens' history), played on the idea that a person who "inherits" his title is generally a degenerative.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com