Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long did the Roman Empire survive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NeuralDream View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NeuralDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long did the Roman Empire survive?
    Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 16:13
In your opinion. From when to when?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 16:19
From 146 B.C. up to the 5th century.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 17:13
     How about Roman civilization? How long would you say that lasted....
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 20:58
Roman civilization? Wouldn't it still be considered going strong?

The Western Roman empire lasted up until about...456? 476 AD? And the Eastern Empire survived on until sometime in the mid 1400s, I believe, so you coudl say it lasted over a 1000 years. maybe even pushing 1500?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:50
Roman Civilization never ended. It just transformed in other things. Latin language, for example, is still alive in the Romance languages of Southern Europe. Roman rituals are preserved by the Catholic church. Roman literature, engineering and arts become Western.

In the East, become The Bizantine Empire, and then transformed into Russia.

In the West still exists as part of the Roman Catholic church bureocracy and customs. Most Western European countries has a Roman heritage as well.

For example, it is curious that the Roman province of Hispania become Spain and Portugal, and that at the times of the Conquist, those people believed somehow they were the inheritors of the "Romans", with language, art, literature included.

So, in a certain way, Rome never ended. It is part of the mentality in Britain, France, Italy, Iberia, Russia and all other Western countries and it was the model for the Colonialism.

Pinguin

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 23:04
Rome influenced the West, it still exists today in many ways like Pinguin said. It also has had a good influence on the English language too. I can't imagine what the world would be today without the Roman Empire. Imagine our architecture and language without their influence? It's be a whole new world.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 01:08
241BC-476AD
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 01:15

I agree with Pinguin, Roman Civilization never ended, many of Rome's invaders, including Germans, even practiced Roman customs.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 01:28
1453AD official fall of the Roman Empire, with the fall of the last capital and the death of the last Emperor. Roman civilization is still there in many ways.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 04:49

In my opinion the Western Roman Empire ended when Odoacer took the throne. At the moment that a person who cosidered himslef to be non-Roman took the throne, the Empire of old came to and end, and a new phase started.

On the other hand, rulers and peoples from Clovis to Charlemagne to Otto to Barbarossa considered themselves the worthy sucessors of the Roman Emperors. So there is a gap here between what people themselves saw at the time and the judgements we can now make with hindsight.

As for the Eastern Empire. I am not too well into it, but in my opinion it would be the same. The moment the last Greek/Roman Empreror was replaced by a nongreek/roman. (would that be Sulyman?)

Originally posted by pinguin

Eh? How?

Personally I do not believe in the Roman Cultural legacy. It was more than 1500 years ago. I am convinced we picked up a lot more essentials in later times than we retained from Roman times. And most of what we do still seem to have is conceived rather than real or realistic. Our perception of what the Romans were, or what we want them to be, washed through 1500 years of history.

edited - to correct my horrible English into understandable sentences (and failure to do so)

Edited by Aelfgifu - 26-Mar-2007 at 05:58

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 05:38

Moscow didn't become the next Rome, even if their church may have you believe it. Russia became the next orthodox power but thats the only connection i can think of with East Rome.

When Mehmed II conquered The City, he ended the roman imperial throne in its entirety while the Roman arch-patriarchy survived.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 08:17
hmmm......it depends what you mean by the empire, if you mean a Roman state ruled by an emperor then it starts with the reign of Augustus in 27BC and goes too the fall of Constantinople in  1453AD or a little bit further to the collapse of the "empire" of trebizond in 1461 AD, if you go by the collapse of the empire of trebizond then that is 1488 years! if you mean the state of Rome starting with the foundation of the city, which according to legend took place in 753 BC (historians are unsure exactly when Rome was founded but date it to the same century as the myth) and ending again with either 1453AD or 1461AD with the slightly larger of the two potential time frames bieng 2214 years!!!! If you mean Roman culture then the number is far larger as others have pointed out that its still going but a culture is not an empire so the answer has been provided (in some cases approximately) by this information.

Regards, Praetor.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by Leonidas

Moscow didn't become the next Rome, even if their church may have you believe it. Russia became the next orthodox power but thats the only connection i can think of with East Rome.

When Mehmed II conquered The City, he ended the roman imperial throne in its entirety while the Roman arch-patriarchy survived.

He proclaimed his self Ceasar remember LOL

but If he took Italy and Rome would he be realy Ceaser?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 23:12
I am taking Henri Pirenne's views and say that not just Rome, but the classical world ended when Islam conquered North Africa and the Near East which has ruptured the Roman mare nostrum
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 14:51
People need to distinguish between empire and culture. They are not one and the same, in fact they can be very mutually exclusive. Empire is physical control, culture is a way of life.

The Roman Empire ended with the deposing of the last emperor(476 and 1453, respectively). As for culture, that is a matter of debate...
NeuralDream View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote NeuralDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 12:16
I would also say 146BC - 1453AD. Just wanted to see what the majority believes.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 19:02

Latin Roman empire 146 B.C. - 476A.D.

Greek Roman empire 476 A.D. - 1453 A.D.(especially after  620 A.D. )

Edited by Athanasios - 30-Apr-2007 at 19:05

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:27
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

As for the Eastern Empire. I am not too well into it, but in my opinion it would be the same. The moment the last Greek/Roman Empreror was replaced by a nongreek/roman. (would that be Sulyman?)

I would say that after the fall of Constantinople there were in Europe still three entities pretending to be the heirs and somehow the continuators of the Roman Empire: the Habsburgs in Austria, who up to 1800 AD beared the title of Holy Roman Emperor, the Tzars in Russia, who from Peter the Great on called themselves "Imperator" (the Latin way) and the Ottoman Sultans, who beared, amongst others of course, also the title of Qaisar-i-Rum.

These multinational Empires lasted up to WW1, so only after WW1 there were no more heirs of Roman Empire at all. What do you think about?

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:32
I should have added the Spanish Empire too Smile.

olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:50
And kaiser the german . A great deal of europe  continued to  have the  holy roman empire theme  if even  partly.
http://www.hoplites.net/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>