URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16324
Printed Date: 09-Jun-2024 at 05:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stanislaw Koniecpolski vs Gustav II
Posted By: ataman
Subject: Stanislaw Koniecpolski vs Gustav II
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 11:06
This topic is a continuation of this discussion:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13436&PN=22 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13436&PN=22

By now, the first part of my answer to the last Spartan's post:

Majkes: We had more serious oponents. In 1621 over 100.000 Ottomans army invaded Poland. I can assure You that Gustav Adolf and Swedish weren't at that time consider as a force which could defeat PolishLithuanian army...

Spartan: Perhaps, but they must have really underestimated the Swedes by leaving such a scant amount of forces;

my comment: It's true that the Poles understimated the Swedes until (at least) 1621. But there were solid reasons to do it. The Swedish-Polish war began in 1600. Until 1626 the Poles and Lithuanians won every battle with Swedish army – even if the Swedes outnumbered P-L armies many times (like at Kircholm 1605 or at Paide 1604 etc.). Sweden was poor, weak and sparsely populated country. And I have to say it (I hope Swedish members of this forum will forgive me), Sweden wasn't civilized country (at least in the opinion of the Poles). The war until 1620 only confirmed that P-L Commonwealth had no reason to affraid Sweden.

Opposite to Sweden, Ottoman Empire was one of the strongest states in the world. Its successes in fighting Christians were well known in Poland. The Poles remembered very well battles of Warna 1444 and Mochacz 1526 (where fought and lost also Polish soldiers). And the Poles had new and terrible example in 1620 – the battle of Cecora, where Polish regular army was beaten and where 2 main commanders of Polish army (I mean both hetmans) were killed (Stanisław Żółkiewski) and captured (Stanisław Koniecpolski).

Spartan, imagine that you are a Polish king (or any other politician) in 1620. Having this knowledge, which enemy you can affraid more? Remember that the heart of your country (P-L Commonwealth) will be attacked by a huge and victorious army of the great Empire (nobody had doubts in 1620 that Ottomans will attack in 1621). And probably (but only probably) one and new province of your country (I mean Livonia) will be attacked from the other side by a weak and loser Swedish army.

Spartan, you are a Polish king in 1620. You have an army, which might be insufficient against more dangerous enemy (Ottoman Empire). Are you sure that it is a good idea to send more soldiers to Livonia?

Spartan: Gustavus occupied Livonia and Courland by the end of 1622. The Ottomans were checked by Jan Chodkiewicz in 1621,

my comment: Gustavus occupied Livonia only because the bulk of Polish-Lithuanian army fought against Ottomans in 1621. The Ottoman invasion was stopped, but after that Polish and Lithuania soldiers, who didn't receive salary, rebeled and they couldn't have been used against the Swedes neither in 1621 nor in 1622.

Spartan: and, unless I'm missing something, no serious threat to the Polish-Lithunian Commonwealth emerged from the south-east again until 1633, and Stanislaw Koniecpolski crushed Tartar threats from 1624-1626, which allowed for his arrival against Gustavus in November, 1626. But Tartar raids would still disrupt life in SE Poland.  

my comment: Spartan, Polish southern borders were threated until 1644. For example in 1626 the Poles expected the war with Ottoman Empire again. The Poles mobilised army, but fortunately the war with Ottomans didn't occur. When Koniecpolski left southern Poland, numerous Tartar army invaded Poland, but it was defeated by the Polish army. In the period 1626-1629 southern Poland and Crimean Khanate saw bigger battles than in Prussia. There was a rivalry in Khanate about the throne. Polish Cossacks were involved in this rivalry. For a short period of time the Khanate was a vassal of Poland. Of course Ottoman Empire couldn't tolerate this change. The war with Ottoman Empire was a real danger.

Replies:
Posted By: Joinville
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 03:42
[QUOTE=ataman]

<SPAN>my comment: It's true that the Poles understimated the Swedes until (at least) 1621. But there were solid reasons to do it. The Swedish-Polish war began in 1600. Until 1626 the Poles and Lithuanians won every battle with Swedish army – even if the Swedes outnumbered P-L armies many times (like at Kircholm 1605 or at Paide 1604 etc.). Sweden was poor, weak and sparsely populated country. And I have to say it (I hope Swedish members of this forum will forgive me), Sweden wasn't civilized country (at least in the opinion of the Poles). The war until 1620 only confirmed that P-L Commonwealth had no reason to affraid Sweden. </SPAN>

<SPAN>Opposite to Sweden, Ottoman Empire was one of the strongest states in the world. Its successes in fighting Christians were well known in Poland. The Poles remembered very well </SPAN><SPAN>battles of Warna 1444 and Mochacz 1526 (where fought and lost also Polish soldiers). And the Poles had new and terrible example in 1620 – the battle of Cecora, where Polish regular army was beaten and where 2 main commanders of Polish army (I mean both hetmans) were killed (Stanis?aw ?ó?kiewski) and captured (Stanis?aw Koniecpolski).</SPAN>

Looks like a fair assessment.
The Poles would have been nuts not to focus on the Ottomans. The Swedish turning up would be part of this internal dynastic squabble within the family of the Wasa, hence personal and bitter, but the Swedish army had not yet aquired these new tactics and technologies coming into use. They weren't yet what they later became.
The Swedish poverty and constant problem of underpopulation would only later be (temporarily) made up for by getting really good at administration, but that took the reforms of Oxenstierna (maybe even more important than Gustavus for keeping the Swedes in a fight, his reforms provided the sinews of war for Sweden). Polish confidence at the time would seem to be entirely justified.

However, the break down of the major battles between Swedes and Poles for that particular war by Swedish count comes out even:

Kokenhusen, 17 June 1601 (Polish victory)
Weissenstein 15 September 1604 (Polish victory)
Kirkholm 17 September 1605 (Polish victory)
Riga 15 September 1621 (Swedish victory)
Wallhof 8 January 1626 (Swedish victory)
Mewe 21 September 1626 (Swedish victory)
Hammerstein 13 April 1627 (Polish victory)
Dirschau 8 August 1627 (tie)
Danzig 15 July 1628 (Swedish victory)
Osterode 14 October 1628 (Polish victory)
Gurzno 2 February 1629 (Swedish victory)

And if the initial three encounters were all Polish, after the 16 year "lull", it's Sweden 5-2 and a draw 1621-1629. (Very much looking like sports this...)

And if it's the perfomance of Gustavus on the line, the first three battles were fought under his father Charles IX, at which point Sweden wasn't just dealing with Poland but with Denmark and Russia as well, of which the Danish threat was the most immediate and serious.

The early part of this war might have been a bit of a sideshow for Swedes and Poles alike.

-------------
One must not insult the future.

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 20:05

Spartan: The campaigns fought by Gustaf II Adolf, more commonly known to us outside of Sweden as Gustavus Adolphus, the king of Sweden, in Livonia and Polish Prussia between 1617 and 1629 recieve comparitively little attention. This disappoints me, as the military reforms of Gustavus, those of utilizing his country's patriotic fervor with a draft of manpower and combining arms of shock power with cavalry charges in conjunction with infantry and lighter and more mobile field artillery, were surely influenced by the fact that the superior Polish-Lithuanian cavalry, most notably the vaunted husaria (plural for hussar), the crack heavy Polish cavalry, and the pancerni,

my comment: Actually in the first half of 17th c. Polish light cavalry was called 'kozacy' (cossacks in English). The name 'pancerni' was used only since the second half of 17th c.

Spartan: the medium cavalry, could not be beaten at this time in the early 17th century without utilizing combined arms and terrain not conducive to their style, which would diminish their ability to fight to the degree that ensured them victory. As it turned out, it worked.  

Gustavus' father, king Karl (Charles) IX of Sweden, repulsed an incursion into Sweden by Sigismund III at Stangebro (near modern Linkoping) in 1598.

my comments: Spartan, don't get me wrong, but I think that you involuntarily repeat old Swedish propaganda. Why do you write 'repulsed an incursion'? Sigismund III (Zygmunt III Waza in Polish) was a legal king of Sweden since 1592. The Swedish throne was heraditary. Sigismundus was the oldest son of king of Sweden Johan III (Jan III in Polish). After Johan's dead Sigismundus become a king of Sweden.

When legal Swedish king Sigismundus went to Sweden, he wasn't invader.

Karl (later Karl IX) was a brother of Johan III. In 1598 he was only a chancellor. Nothing more. It should be also remembered that before Johan III's death, the king administered an oath to Swedish aristocracy which obliged them to resistance against Karl. I mean, if Karl had tried to reach Swedish throne, Swedish aristocracy was obliged to resistance.

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by Joinville

However, the break down of the major battles between Swedes and Poles for that particular war by Swedish count comes out even:

Kokenhusen, 17 June 1601 (Polish victory)
Weissenstein 15 September 1604 (Polish victory)
Kirkholm 17 September 1605 (Polish victory)
Riga 15 September 1621 (Swedish victory)
Wallhof 8 January 1626 (Swedish victory)
Mewe 21 September 1626 (Swedish victory)
Hammerstein 13 April 1627 (Polish victory)
Dirschau 8 August 1627 (tie)
Danzig 15 July 1628 (Swedish victory)
Osterode 14 October 1628 (Polish victory)
Gurzno 2 February 1629 (Swedish victory)

Joinville, the list above isn't too accurate. But forgive me, I don't want to involve myself in a next discussion now. First of all I'd like to write a reply for Spartan's loooooooooooong message.

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 05:25
my comments: Spartan, don't get me wrong, but I think that you involuntarily repeat old Swedish propaganda. Why do you write 'repulsed an incursion'? Sigismund III (Zygmunt III Waza in Polish) was a legal king of Sweden since 1592. The Swedish throne was heraditary. Sigismundus was the oldest son of king of Sweden Johan III (Jan III in Polish). After Johan's dead Sigismundus become a king of Sweden.

When legal Swedish king Sigismundus went to Sweden, he wasn't invader.

Karl (later Karl IX) was a brother of Johan III. In 1598 he was only a chancellor. Nothing more. It should be also remembered that before Johan III's death, the king administered an oath to Swedish aristocracy which obliged them to resistance against Karl. I mean, if Karl had tried to reach Swedish throne, Swedish aristocracy was obliged to resistance.

Swedish propaganda? Not exactly. Both points of view exist in Sweden: that Sigismund was the legal king and Karl a rebel, as well as that Karl fought for Swedish interest against a foreign king that did not have the support of the Swedish population.  
It was a civil war yes, but also a foreign incursion. Sigismund's army consisted mostly of Polish troops, and he had plans to incorporate Sweden into the Catholic sphere (there were even plans to station a Spanish navy in Älvsborg!), something which is definitely a hostile move - or treasonous, dependending on how you see it. Sigismund was widely disliked by the farmers, the church as well the Council and did not have support to rule the country. Sweden had only been a heriditary kingdom for about half a century, and the old customs were still alive: if a king is not fit, replace him. Thus, Karl's forces that annihilated Sigismunds army at Stångebro consisted mainly of volunteer farmers.

Further Karl was not "only a chancellor"; he was the son of Gustav Vasa and ställföreträdande konung, ie king-in-charge when Sigismund was absent.

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 10:50
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Swedish propaganda? Not exactly. Both points of view exist in Sweden: that Sigismund was the legal king and Karl a rebel, as well as that Karl fought for Swedish interest against a foreign king that did not have the support of the Swedish population.  

Styrbiorn, both points of view are not contradictory. The Swedes can believe that Karl fought for Swedish interest, but it doesn't change the fact  that Sigismund was a legal king of Sweden.
Even if Sigismundus didn't have a support from a part of the Swedish population, he was a legal king of Sweden.
I only wonder why you call him 'foreign king'. Sigismund was the Swede. In 1598 he was heraditary king of Sweden and elected king of Poland. Did it make him a foreigner in his own country?

It was a civil war yes, but also a foreign incursion. Sigismund's army consisted mostly of Polish troops,

Batory's guard (Batory was the king of Poland before Sigismund) consisted mostly of Hungarians. Does it mean that Hungarians invaded Poland?
Sigismund went to Sweden with his private army - his guard. There weren't Polish (state) troops. There were mercenary soldiers.
Polish Sejm/Parliament permited Sigismund to leave Poland to regulate his buisness in Sweden. Polish Sejm didn't send Sigismund to a war.

and he had plans to incorporate Sweden into the Catholic sphere (there were even plans to station a Spanish navy in Älvsborg!), something which is definitely a hostile move - or treasonous, dependending on how you see it. Sigismund was widely disliked by the farmers, the church as well the Council and did not have support to rule the country.

Sigismund's policy could be unpopular in Sweden, but he still was a legal king of Sweden. I don't know if there was a legal way to dethrone Sigismund. I suppose there wasn't. Even if there was a legal way to dethrone Sigismund, in the time of the battle of Stangebro, he still was a legal king of Sweden. People (even if they were volunteers) who fought against him were rebels. Therefore I don't agree with this Spartan's statement:

'Gustavus' father, king Karl (Charles) IX of Sweden, repulsed an incursion into Sweden by Sigismund III at Stangebro (near modern Linkoping) in 1598.'

Gustavus' father Karl, wasn't a king of Sweden in 1598 (and nobody doubts this).
Karl didn't 'repulse an incursion into Sweden by Sigismund III', because Sigismund didn't invade Sweden. He arrived in Sweden with his own mercenary army/his guard as a legal prevailing king of Sweden.

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 23:55

Spartan: Sigismund III desired to establish a permanent union between Sweden and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth,

my comment: Spartan, I am not certain if Sigismund has ever thought about „a permanent union between Sweden and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth”. Sigismund was most of all the Swede and the Catholic. AFAIK, he didn't plan to join Sweden and Poland. But by no means he wanted to increase Catholic influences in Sweden.

Spartan: but instead created hostilities which led to intermittent war between the 2 nations lasting until 1660. He was, however, unsuccessful when he invaded Livonia in 1600

my comment: I suppose that you mean Karl here?

Spartan:; his army was smashed by Jan Chodkiewicz's husaria at Kircholm in 1605, and another army helping the Muscovites under Jakob De la Gardie was defeated 10 years later at Kluchino.

my comment: Actually it was 5 years later (in 1610).

Anyway, in the meantime (I mean in the first decade of 17th c.) there was also a serie of battles won by the Lithuanians and Poles (here is a site which describes the war 1600-1609 http://www.jasinski.co.uk/wojna/battles/1600-Sw/1600-Sw-02.htm - http://www.jasinski.co.uk/wojna/battles/1600-Sw/1600-Sw-02.htm )

Spartan: But Sweden's power was rising in the Baltic, as her fleet appeared outside Danzig (modern Gdansk) and Riga, capturing and searching ships trading with these prominent ports. Because of Danzig's neutral status at this time, the Swedes were able to provision their troops in Livonia from there.

my comment: Really? I didn't know this.

Spartan: Aging and overwrought, Karl IX died in October, 1611, while war with Christian IV of Denmark, known as the War of Kalmar, which broke out the previous April, was looking inauspicious for Sweden. As a ruler, Karl IX, basically a practical man, was the link between his great father Gustavus Vasa and his even greater son.

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 01:19

Spartan: At 16 years of age, Gustavus Adolphus inherited the wars his father began, and only by exerting himself to the utmost was he able to achieve peaceful settlements with Denmark (Treaty of Knarod, January, 1613) and Russia (Treaty of Stolbova, February, 1617). He had to restrict himself due to the terms involving indemnity with Denmark, but his treaty with Russia altogether shut out Muscovy from the Baltic, with its trade there being dependent on Sweden. It was clear that Gustavus would resolve to take up the struggle with the Poles in Livonia if necessary. The Sveriges Riksdag (Swedish Diet) consented to this in spite of financial difficulties.

Hostilies had already begun in 1617, though a truce had been formally agreed upon in 1613 and prolonged for 2 years the following year. The king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth,
Sigismund III , whose unfortunate and unwavering claims to the throne of Sweden (by birth he was united along the royal lines of the Vasa and Jagiello) would involve Poland in a whole series of unprofitable wars with Sweden spanning 6 decades, instructed his government to not renew the truce. The Swedes captured Pernau (modern Parnu), and by the autumn of 1618 Gustavus was willing to arrange an armistice, but Sigismund III rejected every proposal in that course, keeping unflinchingly to his claim to be acknowledged King of Sweden. Finally a truce was arranged on September 23, 1618, and Jan Chodkiewicz, who had conducted himself with such esteem on the Livonian front, was sent against the Ottoman threat from the south.

my comments: Spartan, you omited some important issues.

In July 1617 Polish and Swedish commissioners signed new armistice in Livonia for 10 years. The armistice was broken by the Swedes in the same month. They captured Dynemunt (it was on the 21th of July 1617), Windawa (on the 23th of July 1617), Parnawa/Pernau (on the 14th of August 1617) and Salis (on the 18th of August 1617).

Although Polish-Lithuanian armies were involved at 2 other fronts:

- the war in Russia (the expedition to Russia by Wladyslaw Waza. He wanted to recover tzar's throne)

- protection of southern Polish borders (fightings with Tartar incursions, demonstration of Ottoman forces at Busza in 1617 and fightings with Ottoman army at Orynin in 1618)

Lithuanian army commanded by Krzysztof Radziwill was able to recover all losses in Livonia except Parnawa.

New truce with the Swedes was signed on December 8, 1618.

Jan Karol Chodkiewicz couldn't command Lithuanian army in Livonia, because at that time he was with prince Wladyslaw in Russia.

Spartan: The great Polish hetman died in September, 1621, amid his successful entrenched defense against the Sultan Osman II's huge invading army at Khotyn (Chocim), in the Ukraine. During this time the rivalry between Gustavus and Sigismund III transposed into a very different and higher plane.

Another blow for the Poles was the death of Jan Zamoyski in 1605. It had been the firm conviction of this great szlachcic and magnate that Poland could not achieve any long term success against Sweden without a navy. But his efforts to prevail upon Danzig (modern Gdansk) to produce a fleet were in vain, as the neutral city didn't want to displease the Swedish sovereign at the time (among other reasons).

my comments: Here is some kind of misunderstanding. Gdansk belonged to Poland and (for example) paid taxes to Polish treasure. Polish (royal) fleet was build in Gdansk. Sailors of Polish fleet were from Gdansk etc. But cities (especially big ones) in those times in Poland had broad autonomies and many privileges. Gdansk was the biggest and the richest Polish city. Therefore it was a very important 'political player'. The wealth of Gdansk was depended on a trade. Polish – Swedish war was a danger for the trade of Gdansk. Therefore as much as possible Gdansk tried to do everything to be neutral in this war. No sooner than the ending of 1626 had Gdansk understood that its neutral policy gave nothing and it clearly declared itself for Poland.

Spartan: After thorough preparations, Gustavus sailed for the mouth of the Dvina (Duna) in July, 1621 with 158 ships and about 24,000 men (some accounts say 19,000), took the fort commanding it, and opened the siege of Riga on August 13. Gustavus' army in 1621, was well-equipped, but not yet the disciplined force of a few years to come. He offered terms to the garrison before opening a bombardment. A belated relief army under Radziwill was attacked and beaten (Swedish sources say 10,000 men, Polish ones 3,000).

my question: Spartan, anybody
Can you write the description of that battle (between Radziwill and GA at Riga) the way the Swedes saw it? I must admit that I don't have a description of this battle yet. But I'll try to consult Radoslaw Sikora.

Date Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 06:23

Spartan: After thorough preparations, Gustavus sailed for the mouth of the Dvina (Duna) in July, 1621 with 158 ships and about 24,000 men (some accounts say 19,000), took the fort commanding it, and opened the siege of Riga on August 13. Gustavus' army in 1621, was well-equipped, but not yet the disciplined force of a few years to come. He offered terms to the garrison before opening a bombardment. A belated relief army under Radziwill was attacked and beaten (Swedish sources say 10,000 men, Polish ones 3,000).

my comments: I've got from Radek scans from primary sources which describe Lithuanian version of the so called battle of Riga. Below is a summary.

The so called 'battle of Riga' on the 9-10th of September, 1621 (according to Gregorian calendar).

Situation before the battle:

The Sejm in 1620 decided that Radziwill's army in Livonia should have 3000 people. It was a theory. In practice, no sooner than on the16th of June 1621, had Radziwill begun to mobilise this army. He had very difficult task, because P-L Commonwealth had already mobilised huge army against Ottomans. There was simply a shortage of people who wanted to serve in an army.

According to Radziwill's letter to the king (dated on 29th of August, 1621) he had in the camp only 6 units of infantry and 150 horses of light (cossack) cavalry. He had already garrisoned: in Riga 200 reiters, in Dyament 150 reiters and in Kokenhauzen 50 cossack cavalrymen.

According to the Radziwill's instruction for Ditrzyk (dated on 14th of September, 1621) hetman expected new soldiers from Lithuania.

According to Radziwill's letter to the king (dated on 25th of September, 1621), he had in the field not more than 1500 soldiers.

So during the so called battle of Riga, Radziwill didn't have more than 1500 soldiers.

Before 'the battle of Riga', Radziwill knew from Swedish POW that Swedish army had 24.000-30.000 soldiers.

According to Piotr Kochlewski's diary (Kochlewski was Radziwill's secretary) on the 9th of September, Radziwill's 'komunik' (komunik = an army without wagons) approached to Riga. Radziwill's soldiers suprised some Swedish soldiers close to Riga and defeated them in the open field. Tens Swedish soldiers were killed, tens of them drowned in Dzwina river. Lithuanians imprisoned 1 Swedish captain (Abraham Isaac Rosenkranz) and 2 lieutenants.

The whole night between 9th and 10th September, the Lithuanian army stayed in the order close to Riga and waited for the Swedes. The Swedes didn't leave their fortified positions.

On the 10th of September, after the assault of Lithuanian army, Lithuanians returned to their camp, which was 2,5miles (meaning about 18km) from Riga.

Radziwill's instruction for Ditrzyk (dated on 14th of September, 1621), describes events of the 10th of September.

Radziwill explained that the whole expedition of Lithuanian army was only a reconnaissance of Swedish positions. Radziwill wanted to see Swedish camp and its position/fortifications. He wanted to take some POW, which could inform him about Swedish army. He also wanted to show citizens of Riga that they are not alone.

Radziwill also tried to provoke the Swedes to the open field fighting. Therefore he stormed one Swedish 'blokhaus' (earthwork) and withdrew. Unfortunately the Swedes didn't leave their fortified positions.

After that, having knowledge about Swedish camp and fortifications, having POW (which later were sent to the Polish king to inform him about Swedish army), Radziwill ordered to return to the camp. He also explained that he had an appointment with the prince of Courland and expected supports from Lithuania (some new units of cavalry).

So, according to these sources, Radziwill, knowing that the Swedes outnumbered him about 20 : 1, even didn't try to rescue Riga and didn't try to supply Riga (therefore Lithuanian wagons didn't leave the camp). Radziwill, having less than 1500 soldiers, only reconnaissanced Swedish army at Riga. He also tried to provoke Gustaw Adolf to open field fighting, but with no result, because the Swedes didn't leave their fortified positions.

After the reconnaissance, Radziwill returned to the camp to gather bigger army and to talk with the prince of Courland. The Swedes didn't chase him.

The so called battle of Riga was nothing more like small encounter, where the Swedes didn't attack.

Gustaw Adolf, having huge numerical superiority, didn't risk an open field fighting (although Lithuanians waited 2 days in the open field and although Radziwill provoked GA to the battle).

Date Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 00:34

Spartan: The conquest of Riga meant there was no longer any possibility for Poland to establish herself as a Baltic power. Through Riga passed 1/3 of her exports.

my comments: Through Riga passed only 6.2% of P-L export. To comparison, through Gdansk passed 82% of P-L export.

Spartan: With it Gustavus gained political and strategic advantages and a base for equipping his fleet.

The east part of Livonia and the important town of Dorpat remained, however, in the Polish hands. In the autumn of 1622 both sides were again ready to accept an armistice. Gustavus was too eager for peace to grudge Sigismund III the title of King of Sweden, so long as he did not call himself Hereditary King. Kryztof Radziwill had advised Sigismund III to ask for an armistice, but, as usual, he hesitated to the very last. This gave Sweden's Chancellor, Axel Oxenstierna, an opportunity to seperate the interests of Poland and Lithuania, and to offer the latter peace and neutrality in the struggle between Sweden and Poland. This was the first Swedish attempt to drive a wedge between the two halves of the Polish-Lithuanian Monarchy. But the plan did not succeed, and Gustavus personally conducted the campaign in the summer of 1622. A battle was fought on August 3, 1622 at Mitawa against Radziwill. Initially, Swedish infantrymen, positioned in thickets with swampy ground between them and the Lithuanians, fired upon the enemy, refusing to come out in the open, a condition which Radziwill proposed. The Swedes overwhelmed the outnumbered haiduks (mercenary foot-soldiers of mostly Magyar stock) in an infantry clash. Some companies of husaria then displayed some recalcitrance, as there existed serious financial problems with the Lithuanian forces, which was more a private army than a state one at this time, which led to a lack of loyalty and morale amongst many. But 2 banners (some 400 husaria?) did charge and despite unfavorable ground, penetrated through with minimal loss. But the Swedes reinforced their positions which precluded the husaria from turning around.

My comment: More detailed description of the fighting in that day was written by Radoslaw Sikora in the group Zaglobastavern. Below is a quotation from Sikora's description. But I'd like to stress that the fightings on the 3rd of August, 1622 were only part of the battle of Mitawa 1622. I'll write more about that battle in my next message.

On August 3, 1622 in the vicinity of Courland's town of Mitawa/Mittau the armies of Krzysztof Radziwiłł and Gustavus Adolphus clashed. Vanguard of the Swedish army consisted of several (3 or 4) reiter cornets/companies. They placed themselves at the forest's edge, "in the thickets, past the swamps" in such manner so the Lithuanian horse could not attack them. In van of these reiters came two canons, "and they fired from them against our banners/companies but by God's grace without any harm." Then, the commander of the Lithuanian reiters, Jerzy Krzysztof Rożen, with the hetman's permission sent a trumpeter to the Swedish reiters, "challenging them to take to the field unless they were sons-of-the-bitches." Swedes did not show any interest in such presented proposition. Instead of awaited cavalry action "several companies of (enemy) infantry rushed out from the forest.". Hetman directed against them three rota/companies of haiduk infantry. The firefight raged between the infantries of both sides. "Very laud musket gunplay lasted for an entire hour, as in a regular battle it would not have been greater." There were some 20 haiduks killed (and fell into the enemy's hands) while wounded there were some 30 more. When the servants "that on a hillock were digging a trench (entrenchment), being afraid of the gunplay, started to flee with their spades," Swedes, "understanding that these were the soldiers who were fleeing, sent to their own a larger reinforcement, and in such manner more than 2000 Swedish infantrymen jumped our throats and onto the hillock pushed."

Radziwiłł turned then to the JK Rożen's reiter companies (those were three companies, on register numbering 500-horse strong but their real strength was merely 300 horses) "so they would aid the infantry," but they evasively "said that they had no field" (the ground was not suitable for cavalry) and " replied that winged hussars should rush first." Why they refused? Reiters were foreigners that fought for a profit and not out of patriotic call. The Lithuanian army had serious financial problems at that time and was seriously behind the pay for their soldiers. In face of serious numerical advantage held by the enemy, when the motivation to continue fighting was not strong enough, when the ground was not favorable, all that was enough that the reiters refused to execute command. In such circumstances hetman turned then to the Janusz Ulik Szweryn's hussaria (on the register this unit had 200 horses, the real strength of this unit is unknown). But they also refused to charge. Why? The sources known to us do not explain this. One thing is certain - there is no mention in the sources about any winged hussars' fear of the gunfire of the Swedish infantry. These source suggest that, when faced with numerically superior adversary (just Swedish infantry alone was supposed to be 2000-3000), and having the ground unsuitable for cavalry action and - what may be the most important - the winged hussars seeing that they would not be supported by the reiters (after all those already had refused to attack), then the morale of Szweryn's hussaria must have been weak. Their commander did not decide to charge under such conditions. Thus meeting with another refusal there, Radziwiłł then turned to the next reiter company - Henryk Szmeling (200 horses on the register). Yet and this reiter company refused to carry out the command.

This crisis, however, did not spread throughout the entire Lithuanian army. Unfortunately, "other [companies] albeit willing [to fight] their own places in the army's battle order had to guard, because the enemy horse with part of the infantry in the affair [battle order] stood fast, awaiting our confusion." In these circumstances, before the Lithuanian battle order regrouped, before those 'willing' companies arrived onto the field, the Swedes were able to take the hillock with the Lithuanian artillery pieces there.

Ultimately the Lithuanian hussaria charged those ( troops). There were found "two so righteous hussaria companies" that "while the ground was not for a hussar (undesirable for winged hussars)" yet "in the very fire of the enemy troops they rushed" and "great injury in them they caused." Those companies were: the Połock voivode Janusz Kiszka's company, on the register 200 hussars, and the referendarz of Grand Dutchy of Lithuania Aleksander Korwin Gosiewski's company, of the same register's number. This charge proved to be successful. Hussars, in spite that they were attacking on the ground not quite suitable for cavalry action, withstood the fire of more numerous infantry and passed through its lines, inflicting heavy causalities on the Swedes. It was not, however, the end of fighting. Winged hussar companies "having broken through and without reinforcement remaining, could not turn around." Swedes brought onto the battlefield additional infantry units, position them in the thickets and in the trenches (including the entrenchment dig out by the Lithuanian servants) and maintained their positions, because on such prepared infantry "the cavalry second time could not joust (strike)."

The very charge on the fire-spewing lines of the Swedish infantry cost our winged hussars 2 killed (Nakurski and Orwid) and unknown quantity of wounded, while "in the horses not a small injury they caused." The Swedes were supposed to have died "close to 500" on this day. Some of quoted number included that infantry, which had been under Lithuanian infantry fire before the hussaria's charge.

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 11:14

I've found some new information to the 'battle' of Riga. According to prof. Henryk Wisner's 'Rzeczpospolita Wazów' v. 2, p. 202, Radziwill had about 900 soldiers at 'the battle of Riga'. Wisner claims that Gustaw Adolf's army outnumbered Radziwill's one 20:1 and that Gustaw Adolf didn't decide to fight with Radziwill.

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 03:20

Spartan, you might be also interested in these events:

1. October the 16th, 1621. Close to Mitawa

Krzysztof Radziwill, having less than 1900 soldiers (including 500 infantrymen), sent a 'starosta trojdeński' Benedykt Wahl to Gustavus with a official invitation to a battle. Gustavus, having 7350 infantry and 3000 cavalry (Radziwill thought that Gustavus had 15 000 soldiers), didn't decide to fight in the open field.

2. October the 25th, 1621. By the river Musza.

Krzysztof Radziwill, having 2171 soldiers (including 500 infantrymen), sent a trumpeter to Gustavus with a official invitation to a battle. Gustavus again didn't decide to fight in the open field.

3. November the 24th, 1621. Battle of Kropimojza.

Aleksander Gosiewski, having 500 cavalry, defeated the vanguard of Gustavus's army (the vanguard counted about 900 cavalrymen). The Lithuanians killed 280 and prisoned 20 Swedish soldiers. This Lithuanian victory stopped Gustavus's offensive action against Kokenhausen and Dyneburg/Daugavpils.

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 12:37
This topic is already finished (at least by me :)). The explanation is here:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16719 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16719

Posted By: Majkes
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 14:31
What a shame that Sparten gave up. It could have been very interesting discussion. Anyway, you did a good workThumbs Up

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 03:02
Originally posted by Majkes

Anyway, you did a good workThumbs Up

Thanks Smile.

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 04:58
Alright, I see three specialists on the two commanders. So I must make this proposition for you:

Could you three work together (or two or one, if other's don't wish to do so) and write an article for the Mag about the differences of the two commanders and their skills as commanders?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by rider

Alright, I see three specialists on the two commanders.

Which ones Smile? If you think about me, I must explain that I am not a specialist. I am a fan of history, that's all.

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 11:13
Well... that counts not.

I was talking of you Ataman, Sparten and Majkes. So, could you work together?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 13:31
Sorry Rider, but between me and Ataman with Sparten there is too much diffrence in knowledge about the subject. They are just far more knowledgable than me in this subject so I don't think I could help them. ( I lost myself reading their discussion - some battles I even not heard of ). Considering they have a little bitLOL diffrent view on the subject it would be hard for them to cooperate I think. It would be graet if Ataman and Sparten would write an article about it.
I will have more time at the begining of january so I will be much more active on the forum.. Now I just jump here for a minute only.

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 13:37

Well... that counts not.

I was talking of you Ataman, Sparten and Majkes. So, could you work together?

I'm affraid that Spartan doesn't even have time to read my posts Wink

BTW of Livonian war 1620's. I've read recently about a very interesting battle of Poswol (September the 29th, 1625). 2 banners of Lithuanian hussars annihilated the elite of Swedish Reiters (Gustaw's Reiter guard + chosen the best Reiters from other reiter companies). Only 1 reiter was able to escape. The rest were killed or prisoned by hussars.

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 12:43
Yes, Hussars are magnificent but what's your point?

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 13:10

My point? Well, it was only a curious detail for those of GA's fans, who believe that his army (especially cavalry) was so great.

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 14:07
Oh, thanks for clearing it up in that case.

-------------

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 16:04

So the whole purpose of the thread is to search for every little skirmish the Poles happened to defeat Swedes? Kinda what I suspected.LOL

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 01:39

So the whole purpose of the thread is to search for every little skirmish the Poles happened to defeat Swedes? Kinda what I suspected.LOL

It's an irony. I know.
Anyway, if the Swedes still claim that 'the battle of Riga 1621' was Gustaw's victory, I think that readres of this thread have right to read about real victories of that war. Smile

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 12:38
Riga was not so much a battle as a siege was it not?

There were frequently sorties and other skirmishes surrounding a besieged place, but the practical result of Riga was that the town fell, and was then an integral part of Swedish presence on the east Baltic for like 90 years. The Poles were not able to relieve it.

ataman:

What is the matter with the Swedish army of Gustav? It was as methodical, and for that time, as professional as the Poles were gallant. The Swedes were putting into practice west European military practices that were found to be useful against the strength of the Poles. That is what successful commanders do; they don't necessarily have to win every battle.

Although Gustav was not averse to winning battles, the main goal of his Livonian/Prussian campaigns was to (1) secure the revenues of as many Baltic towns as possible, and (2) to keep Poland from recovering them. Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough.

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 13:54
Originally posted by ataman

My point? Well, it was only a curious detail for those of GA's fans, who believe that his army (especially cavalry) was so great.

Well it doesn't matter which army is better as long as one of them are able to realize campaign goals on which Swedes certainly were lot more successful in long run than Poles.
Of course without a doubt Gustav Adolf took some cavalry warfare lessons from Poles which were quite useful for his army in the 30 years' war.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 14:31
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Riga was not so much a battle as a siege was it not?

The siege - yes. The battle - no.

the practical result of Riga was that the town fell, and was then an integral part of Swedish presence on the east Baltic for like 90 years. The Poles were not able to relieve it.

It's true. And nobody dobuts it. But don't you think that there is a difference between Spartan's statement:

'A belated relief army under Radziwill was attacked and beaten (Swedish sources say 10,000 men, Polish ones 3,000).'

and what really happened at Riga?

ataman:

What is the matter with the Swedish army of Gustav? It was as methodical, and for that time, as professional as the Poles were gallant. The Swedes were putting into practice west European military practices that were found to be useful against the strength of the Poles. That is what successful commanders do; they don't necessarily have to win every battle.

Although Gustav was not averse to winning battles, the main goal of his Livonian/Prussian campaigns was to (1) secure the revenues of as many Baltic towns as possible, and (2) to keep Poland from recovering them. Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough. 

Pikeshot, this discussion has began in other thread. We were talking about commanding skill of Gustaw Adolf and Stanislaw Koniecpolski. I didn't claim that Gustaw gained nothing in these wars. I only don't agree with Spartan's poit of view.

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by axeman

Well it doesn't matter which army is better as long as one of them are able to realize campaign goals on which Swedes certainly were lot more successful in long run than Poles.

Doesn't it  matter which army was better? Ok, so what will the Swedes say if I write that Polish army in the period 1655-1660 was better than Swedish one? Doesn't it matter what is true?
What will Americans say if I write that Vietnamese army was better than American one? Doesn't it matter what is true? Doesn't it matter what real reasons of Vietnamese victory were?

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 02:23

Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough. 

Pikeshot, what do you mean by 'fire discipline'? And why do you think that fire discipline 'served Gustav well enough'? What is your point?

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 11:06

Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough. 

Pikeshot, what do you mean by 'fire discipline'? And why do you think that fire discipline 'served Gustav well enough'? What is your point?

Fire discipline = repetitive drill that increased the rate of fire of musketry, and the use of heavier muskets than were common in the East. As the 1620s went on, the arquebus was virtually eliminated among Swedish infantry and replaced by Dutch pattern muskets of from 18 to 22mm bore.

As a force multiplier, improved and more disciplined firepower helped the Swedish army to often counter the Polish superiority in cavalry. Not always though. Once most muskets had been discharged (as in the use of the salvo) the linear formation of the Swedes was vulnerable to cavalry as the pikemen could only protect so much of the formation from the center. Other Swedish formations in echelon might assist with their muskets, but often at the peril of their own troops in formation ahead of them.

The use of "commanded musketeers" assisted Swedish and Finnish cavalry in contact with the Poles, but that seems to have been a particularly hazardous duty in the army, with no pikes to retreat behind.

Improved firepower, and the use of field fortifications (that both sides used effectively) were found to be just good enough to acomplish many of Gustav's goals before Altmark. However, not all of them were met. The years of the war in Prussia were a "near run thing." By 1628, more exhaustion and starvation than glory.

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 12:15

Fire discipline = repetitive drill that increased the rate of fire of musketry, and the use of heavier muskets than were common in the East. As the 1620s went on, the arquebus was virtually eliminated among Swedish infantry and replaced by Dutch pattern muskets of from 18 to 22mm bore.

ok

As a force multiplier, improved and more disciplined firepower helped the Swedish army to often counter the Polish superiority in cavalry.

Can you write any example?

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 17:17
Well, Mewe is generally acknowledged as the main example, although Koniecpolski was not in command. I have read a couple of accounts that indicate that either two? or three? charges by husaria were broken up on 29 Sept. by the firepower of the musketeers. The Scot John Hepburn, a Swedish officer who was there, wrote a description of the effectiveness of the salvo. Robert Frost makes use of more recent Polish sources (J. Teodorczyk, J. Seredyka) in regard to Polish reaction to the tactics.

On 1 Oct., the Swedes were swept from high ground, that threatened the Polish entrenchments besieging Mewe, by Zamoyski, while trying to dig entrenchments themselves. They had discharged their muskets in salvo against Polish infantry to take the position, and had not had time to reload. However, the high ground was later taken, threatening Sigismund's positions with artillery, and the siege was lifted.

Frost cites primary sources, both Radziwill and Koniecpolski, that indicate that Polish tactics were impacted by those of the Swedes. The number of infantry in the Polish army was increased, and many more heavy muskets were employed. Koniecpolski began to avoid confrontation with the Swedes on any ground where Gustav would have the advantage. This was smart war making. Poland was wealthier than Sweden and could better wage a war of attrition, especially since Gustav could not reduce Danzig - the main prize of the whole venture.

The use of fire discipline had a major effect on both sides, and changed the way the war was fought.

Unfortunately for me, I don't read either Swedish or Polish, so if there is other information, I'd be interested.

On another note, I have never been convinced that Swedish cavalry was equal to husaria, regardless of Dirschau. The Swedes had almost no heavy cavalry other than a few German companies from Estonia and maybe Livonia. The action at Honigfelde in 1629 showed their weakness against both heavier Polish horse and also Imperialist reiter. I have found it difficult to find good descriptions of the use of the commanded musketeers to provide fire support for the Swedish cavalry.

Still, the Swedes were more successful than not.

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 06:04

Well, Mewe is generally acknowledged as the main example, although Koniecpolski was not in command. I have read a couple of accounts that indicate that either two? or three? charges by husaria were broken up on 29 Sept. by the firepower of the musketeers. The Scot John Hepburn, a Swedish officer who was there, wrote a description of the effectiveness of the salvo.

It's very interesting. Can you quote Hepburn's description of this event?

Robert Frost makes use of more recent Polish sources (J. Teodorczyk, J. Seredyka) in regard to Polish reaction to the tactics.

Well, Teodorczyk isn't credible source of information. His description of the battle was written about 40 years ago and is biased very much (it's a good example of Communist propaganda). I can recommend you new Radoslaw Sikora's book "Fenomen husarii" (publised few years ago), where Sikora point by point shows Teodorczyk's 'mistakes' ('mistakes' is a very gentle word in this case). If you want, I can write more about it.

Seredyka's contribution to this subject is insignificent. AFAIK he wrote only one article, where discussed some minor aspects of the begining of the war and this battle.

On 1 Oct., the Swedes were swept from high ground, that threatened the Polish entrenchments besieging Mewe, by Zamoyski, while trying to dig entrenchments themselves. They had discharged their muskets in salvo against Polish infantry to take the position, and had not had time to reload.

AFAIK this idea comes from Teodorczyk's description of the battle. But even Teodorczyk quoted primary source which states that Swedish infantry shot to charging hussars. And that hussars charged 'like in fire'. So?

My notice - according to Teodorczyk's description, Polish cavalry was deployed many hundreds meters from the place, where the Swedes took position of Polish infantry. Even if there were only 400m, hussars needed at least 2 minutes to approach to the Swedes (look at this

http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/HowHussarFought.htm - http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/HowHussarFought.htm  )

Don't you think that it is enough for well drilled infantry to reload muskets? I've seen on this page http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm - http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm  a movie which shows that musketeer needs only 12 sec. to load and to shoot.

Frost cites primary sources, both Radziwill and Koniecpolski, that indicate that Polish tactics were impacted by those of the Swedes.

Do you mean 'The Northern Wars'? I have this book.

It's true that 'Polish tactics were impacted by those of the Swedes'. But Radziwill and Koniecpolski wrote about using obstacles and about avoiding battles by the Swedes. They didn't write about fire discipline of Swedish infantry.

BTW, Frost made mistake in his translation of Radziwill's letter ('The Northern Wars' p.107). Radziwill used the word 'fortele', while Frost translated it as 'stratagems'. In fact 'fortel' in old Polish language meant every kind of obstacle; only in modern Polish language it means 'stratagem'.

The number of infantry in the Polish army was increased, and many more heavy muskets were employed.

The number of infantry in Polish army increased to fight with Swedes, who usually didn't want to leave their fortified positions and didn't want to fight in the open field with Polish cavalry.

Heavy muskets - well, the Poles suffered a shortage of their own infantry, so they were forced to hire foreign infantry. These foreign infantry (Germans for example) used heavier muskets than Polish 'hajduks'. It doesn't mean that fighting Swedes demanded heavy muskets.

Koniecpolski began to avoid confrontation with the Swedes on any ground where Gustav would have the advantage.

It means that he avoided to attack fortified Swedish positions, while he tried to fight with Swedish army in the open field. Sombody should remember that Swedish army outnumbered Polish army in Prussia about 2 (sometimes even 3) to 1. The Swedes always had more infantry than the Poles. They had more infantry and they usually didn't want to leave they fortified postitions. Koniecpolski, having less infantry than the Swedes, was wise enough to avoid attack Swedish fortifications. But in the open field, he attacked the Swedes, even if the Swedes outnumbered him (like at Trzciana 1629)

The use of fire discipline had a major effect on both sides, and changed the way the war was fought.

IMHO (which is based on the newest Polish elaborations) it wasn't the use of fire discipline, which had a major effect on both sides, and changed the way the war was fought. It was the use of obstacles, which secured the Swedes from charges of Polish cavalry. Polish and Lithuanian hetmans (commanders) stressed many times that the Swedes avoided open field engagements, and that Gustaw Adolf tried to win this war by 'krecia wojna' (moles' war). Neither Lithuanian nor Polish hetmans wrote about any impact of fire discipline of the Swedes on their tactic.

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 09:25
ataman:

OK

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 11:20
Pikeshot1600, can you quote Hepburn's description?

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 15:11

I'll try to find the exact wording.  It is one of those "you know you read it, but you are not sure where."

Maybe one of the Swedish forumers has it right to hand.

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 15:37

I'll try to find the exact wording.  It is one of those "you know you read it, but you are not sure where."

Maybe one of the Swedish forumers has it right to hand.

Well, I can't find it.  Come to think of it, it may have been another Scots officer in the Swedish army.  I do remember reading it although I did not find it in the texts I own.

I came up with too many internet hits on Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn.  Smile

The hits on "salvo" and "Swedish salvo" were inconclusive on a description in English.   Sorry.

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 02:49

Well, I can't find it.  Come to think of it, it may have been another Scots officer in the Swedish army.  I do remember reading it although I did not find it in the texts I own.

I came up with too many internet hits on Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn.  Smile

The hits on "salvo" and "Swedish salvo" were inconclusive on a description in English.   Sorry.

It's ok.

Anyway, I know description of these charges from Polish primary source. The member of the battle (a servant of Tomasz Zamojski) claims that hussars charged both - Swedish cuirrasiers and Swedish infantry. While hussars defeated cuirrasiers, they couldn't reach infantry because in front of inantry were trenches which stopped hussars.

Posted By: Spartan
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 15:21
Hello everyone.

ataman, I have been reading everything you have written, and you're are not going to intimidate me, albeit in a 'mild' manner, with your nationalistic conviction. You want to act tough? You've been doing that since our 1st correspondence. Soory, but that's the feeling I'm getting here, even though I should remember where we are.

You say 'Swedish propoganda', as if you are the just voice? I say much Polish propoganda on you part. How's that? Sikora and you mention 'credible' sources - sources not being followed by historians? Credible because you say so? OK, I guess that's etched in stone, huh? Historians like Michael Roberts are inept. Let's start all over! I'm sorry, but I don't care how much you exude all your 'information' and knowledge of what you've been told by your people, you have convinced me of almost nothing with your elaborate breakdowns and self-proclaimed refuttals (via connotation) of my comments. I'm the one who stresses 'point of view', and 'bias' from both sides, not you. I read that your ancestry was involved in the war. Good, that's a source of strong pride, but also the most powerful impetus which induces unilateral subjectivity. Don't even try to deny that. Well, go ahead. You go on of how who was the credible source and who wasn't to too much of a degree of incontrovertible assurety. You do not know for sure; nobody does.

Now, my anger is probably good fodder for one to say, 'Spartan is angry because he is being proven wrong". Nope - I'm just too nice sometimes, and I don't like being condescended. Of course, in such disagreements the one accused of bias and condescension thinks they are simply the correct one.

I was indeed mistaken about the Cossack cavalry - a mistake I edited elsewhere before I saw your rancor here on AE (I am constantly re-edited things here and there in the article on paradox and twc): the name simply was changed to pancerni to distinguish the ethnic Cossack rebellions in 1648 or so. It's difficult to procure accurate information about Polish history at this time, as so much of it is obscure and seemingly not in complete accordance with varying accounts. I am hardly ashamed to admit that mistake.

Zygmunt III never had Sweden, nor were any of his claims for it better than dust in the wind, in my opinion. Being that Sweden was about 1/4 century away from being an 'elective kingdom', there were literally dozens of people that had either a better claim or a better chance to become king if not for the one who actually already was. His beliefs as the legitimate king of Sweden were understandable, and his invading army (look up what 'incursion' means) at the battle of Stangebro may not have so much a Polish army as that of one composed of his loyal followers among the Swedish and Finnish nobility, but his crossing into Sweden was an incursion against his uncle. As far as the rebellious Erik was concerned, protestant Sweden could not have a Catholic king, particularly one who advocated counterreformation. Zygmunt lost much support, then arrived in Kalmer with a fleet from across the Baltic - an incursion.

I have pulled nothing out of the air to purposely offend Poland etc., and you will have to disprove what you vehemently question, not the other way around, such as Hepburn's memoirs, which are supported by Robert Munro.

pikeshot, try googling on 'George A. Henty on Hepburn', or something like that. He wrote about this war, and although he also wrote fiction (Polish posters and Gustavus detractors will certainly jump on that issue to discredit his writings of Gniew etc.), he was also a war correspondent in the 19th century. His accounts make use of memoirs from the Scottish mercenaries. But he's not a primary source.

Gustavus couldn't defeat 2,000 of the enemy when armed with 15,000 of his own? Whatever the 'situation', who do you think you're fooling??

All history is a story, so to speak, and we can never totally disprove anyone else. We are not splicing DNA here! But again, you've convinced me of nothing (nothing personal), and you're assiduous quest seems to be one of patriotism, not out of an avocational interest in history, as is the case with me.

It would be a waste of time to counter all your counters, but it doesn;t matter what you intricately offer, it's all not irrefutable. What is? Call me a coward all you want.

ataman and Majkes and everyone else, please, trust me, I am fully aware the Swedes are hardly innocent when it comes to the coloring of this conflict to favor their cause: there is no doubt that Swedish cavalry companies and/or their reiter allies, if caught out in the open by the husaria, without support from significant musketry fire, they were run roughshed over! That was part of Gustavus' apprenticeship, but my amateurish extrapolations simply concur more with them than the Polish view. I actually wish I didn't care about any of this! But thanks for taking the time.

Thanks, Spartan

-------------
"A ship is safe in the harbor; but that's not why ships are built"

Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 01:49
Spartan, it is quite obvious for me that our discussion leads to nothing. Let me only aks you about one thing. You have writen

Originally posted by Spartan

Historians like Michael Roberts are inept. 

Tell me if Michael Roberts knew Polish language to can read Polish primary (or at least secondary) sources? And what do you think about 'historian' who doesn't know English language but who writes books for example about history of ACW or about history of ECW?

Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 09:59
Originally posted by Spartan

ataman and Majkes and everyone else, please, trust me, I am fully aware the Swedes are hardly innocent when it comes to the coloring of this conflict to favor their cause: there is no doubt that Swedish cavalry companies and/or their reiter allies, if caught out in the open by the husaria, without support from significant musketry fire, they were run roughshed over! That was part of Gustavus' apprenticeship, but my amateurish extrapolations simply concur more with them than the Polish view. I actually wish I didn't care about any of this! But thanks for taking the time.

Thanks, Spartan

Sparten, no reason to be so offended. As I posted before I respect Your large knowledge in this subject as well as in the other matters. I agree with You that GA won the war with Commonwealth( it would be hard to deny). That's a fact. Though I wouldn't be able to agree that Swedish cavalry was as good or better than Polish-LithuanianApprove.

P.S. I know You are not Swedish nationalist.

Posted By: Spartan
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 10:08
I'm a little disgusted, but perhaps jumoing the gun:

I noticed the initial account I posted was only half-done; when I tried to paste over the 2nd half (I don't know why it was 'halved', if I didn't make a mistake), something came up about 'spamming' on my part.

I don't want to become presumptuous or suspicious, but that doesn't look good.

If anyone is interestred, this is my full account, with revisions,

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278565 - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278565

Spartan Smile 

-------------
"A ship is safe in the harbor; but that's not why ships are built"

Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 13:27
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1401674 -  
I have found this thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1401674

Spartan, it seems to me that I am not the only one guy who you don't want to talk to when you don't have any arguments :).

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 22:29
Regarding the so called battle of Riga in 1621.
First of all I've never seen an academic Swedish source that claism that this was a Swedish victory. The highest number give for the Lithuanian troops is 1500, not 3000 or 10,000.

It was a minor skirmish at best and all of it took place on the west bank were only a minor Swedish force commanded by Cobron was located. Gustavus was on the east bank together with his main body which was entrenched before Riga.

The Swedish army had 17850 men at the start of the siege and only a part of those were on the west bank.

Cobron had started of with some 3600 foot and 750 horse when the siege began but disease soon rendered 20-25% of his men unfit for duty at any one time. His forces were spread out across some 5000 meters of riverbank holding a series of redoubts, sconces and entrenchments located on the bank itself or on islands in the Düna.

When Radziwill advance around 5 PM on the 9th he didn't 'surprise' the Swedes, Cobrons pickets had warned him of his arrival and he deployed a smal field force numbering about 600-700 men  in the open before the so called Red Tower. Outnumbered the Swedes suffered losses and were forced back into their fortifications but Radziwill would not risk exposing his men to the crossfire from the swedish redoubts and thus way to the Düna remained closed.

When Radziwill reapperad on the 10th Cobron wisely avoided battle since he could not assemble enough troops to fight Radzwill in the open. During the 10th the citizens of Riga also launched an amphibious attack against Cobrons entrenchments but this was beaten back with losses.
Seeing that Cobron would not again exposes his troops rashly in the open like yesterday and given that the Lithuanians coudl not take the larger Swedish entrechments due to a lack of infantry & artillery Radziwill withdrew from the field at around 1PM.  

Gustavus & his main force had neither the time nor the means to avoid or engage Radziwill in battle at Riga.  There was simply no way for Gustavus to transfer an effective field force to the west bank before Radziwill withdrew. The Hetman had been very carefull to ensure that he would not  have to risk any engagement with the main body of the Swedish army when he approached Riga on 9th.

Of course sentences like
"Gustaw Adolf, having huge numerical superiority, didn't risk an open field fighting (although Lithuanians waited 2 days in the open field and although Radziwill provoked GA to the battle)."look impressive but they are actully a rather significant distortion of what happend.
Gustav Adolf wasn't present, nor did the Swedes have a huge superiority in numbers. 
Waiting less than one day when the enemys main body is on the other side of a major river is hardly trying to provoke the enemy to battle.
(Radziwill arrived shortly before 5 PM on the 9th and withdrew around 1 PM on the 10th, less than 24 hours)

1. October the 16th, 1621. Close to Mitawa

Krzysztof Radziwill, having less than 1900 soldiers (including 500 infantrymen), sent a 'starosta trojdeński' Benedykt Wahl to Gustavus with a official invitation to a battle. Gustavus, having 7350 infantry and 3000 cavalry (Radziwill thought that Gustavus had 15 000 soldiers), didn't decide to fight in the open field.

While he may claim to have done so (such an event is not record in the Swedish sources) his cavalry consistently refused to engaged the Swedish detachments sent out to avenge the ambush of a Swedish foraging detachmetn on the 15th. At no time between the 16th and the 20th would the Lithuanians risk fight with the Swedish cavalry & musketeers sent out to chase them down.

2. October the 25th, 1621. By the river Musza.

Krzysztof Radziwill, having 2171 soldiers (including 500 infantrymen), sent a trumpeter to Gustavus with a official invitation to a battle. Gustavus again didn't decide to fight in the open field. 

Yes it's very easy to fight in the 'open field' when the enemy is on one side of a river and you are on another. Especially when the enemy has destroyed all the bridges.  
Once Gustav Adolf had built an new bridge and crossed the river with his 4000 men and 8 cannon on the 26th it was Radziwill who abandoned his camp withdrew behind a screen of light cavalry.

3. November the 24th, 1621. Battle of Kropimojza.

Aleksander Gosiewski, having 500 cavalry, defeated the vanguard of Gustavus's army (the vanguard counted about 900 cavalrymen). The Lithuanians killed 280 and prisoned 20 Swedish soldiers. This Lithuanian victory stopped Gustavus's offensive action against Kokenhausen and Dyneburg/Daugavpils.

This wasn't the 'vanguard' of Gustav Adolfs army but a independent detachment led by Cobron which was to attempt to take Kokenhausen by surprise. Cobron had 6 companies of cavalry which had started the campaign with 790 fighting men. By November no more than 700 men were fit for battle and it is likely that the actual strenght was aroudn 600. In addition to this had Cobron perhaps  1000 men of his regiment
The actuall 'battle' was an ambush in which Cobrons force was scattered, casulties among the cavalry were light but the scattered infantry suffered during the pursuit.

BTW of Livonian war 1620's. I've read recently about a very interesting battle of Poswol (September the 29th, 1625). 2 banners of Lithuanian hussars annihilated the elite of Swedish Reiters (Gustaw's Reiter guard + chosen the best Reiters from other reiter companies). Only 1 reiter was able to escape. The rest were killed or prisoned by hussars.
An ambush involving a bit more than 300 cavalry is hardly a battle, more properly a skirmish or an action if one uses English terms.
Aderkas had 119 men at the start of the campaign and no other troops were presen and was thus outnumbered by the Lithuanians not to mention that he was on the reciving end of another of those skillfully conducted Polish ambushes.
Since Aderkas company mustered some 80 troopers 10 day later it can been seen that his losses were sever but his company wasn't wiped out.  

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 01:17
Originally posted by Captain Gars

Regarding the so called battle of Riga in 1621.
First of all I've never seen an academic Swedish source that claism that this was a Swedish victory. The highest number give for the Lithuanian troops is 1500, not 3000 or 10,000.

Captain Gars,
Welcome to the AE forum. And thank you for the clarification. 

Spartan, if Polish and Swedish historians agree about the ammount of Lithuanian army at Riga then where did you take your data about 10,000 Lithuanian soldiers from? Spartan, don't get me wrong. My question is not a caustic remark. I only wonder why there are so big differences between Polish and Swedish historians and your source.  

It was a minor skirmish at best and all of it took place on the west bank were only a minor Swedish force commanded by Cobron was located. Gustavus was on the east bank together with his main body which was entrenched before Riga.

Captain Gars, can you explain something? I suppose there was some connection between both banks of the Dźwina river (some bridge? or maybe boats?). Why did Gustavus completly ignore Radziwiłł's army? Why did he rely only on Cobron's initiative?
Radziwiłł's army (these few hundreds men) was the only one protection of Lithuania in that time. Defeating his army meant free hand in the whole Livonia and Lithuania. But Gustavus even didn't try to do it. I don't believe that Swedish army didn't have enough time. Even if Gustavus had only 24 hours (in fact he had more time, because - as you have written - Radziwiłł's army at Riga wasn't a surprise for the Swedes at all), it is fairly enough to move many thousand soldiers from the east bank of the river to the west bank of the river.

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 04:10

Captain Gars, can you explain something? I suppose there was some connection between both banks of the D?wina river (some bridge? or maybe boats?). Why did Gustavus completly ignore Radziwi??'s army? Why did he rely only on Cobron's initiative?

Radziwi??'s army (these few hundreds men) was the only one protection of Lithuania in that time. Defeating his army meant free hand in the whole Livonia and Lithuania. But Gustavus even didn't try to do it. I don't believe that Swedish army didn't have enough time. Even if Gustavus had only 24 hours (in fact he had more time, because - as you have written - Radziwi??'s army at Riga wasn't a surprise for the Swedes at all), it is fairly enough to move many thousand soldiers from the east bank of the river to the west bank of the river.

I think you might be making the wrong presupposition here — that the point of warfare, and the way to win, is to fight and win battles, no?
That was not how a commander like Gustavus and his contemporaries would have seen it. (You tell me what the Polish attitude would be, I have no idea. Maybe there was a cultural difference in military doctrine?)

The doctrine for warfare Gustavus came out of said that if you had any other choice you didn't fight battles. They were always the worst option, the last resort of commanders out of all other. It seems Gustavus had options at Riga, and made the choice considered right according to the military thinking of the time.

If the Swedes had Riga bottled up good an proper and were in a strong position, why fight? Reduce Riga, keeping your army intact in enemy lands would mean the gradual destruction of them anyway, as the army would feed itself through plunder. Shipping it home wouldn't be an option as the army would then just plunder Sweden to feed itself. That was the kind of war Gustavus had been trained in — burning and razing Skåne to the ground in the war with Denmark, with no set piece battles at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 06:22
Thank you Ataman,

Crossing the Dvina
In 1621 the only fast way for the Swedish army to cross the Dvina in force was to use the fords at Kircholm or ÜxKüll and the Kircholm ford was not very suitable for infantry or artillery. Using the fords would require any troops to march 15-20km from their encampments, cross the river and then march another 15-20km to reach Cobrons lines. I.e it would take close to two days for for a combined arms force to reinforce Cobron. And that is assumign that the troops were ready to march at a moments notice, which they were not since they were fully engaged in the siege.

Using the Swedish navy ships would have taken longer and most usefull boats had been collected by the defenders of Riga and were kept in the harbour. And 17th Century boats & ships are not modern day landingcraft, loading and unloading them takes a significant amount of time.  It was only after Riga was captured that the Swedish froces had enough boats and rivercraft to ferry large amounts of troops across the Dvina in a short time.

Why ignore Radziwiłł's army?
Because Gustav Adolf could do so, his target was Riga, not the Lithuanian army.  As long as the Swedish army remained sheltered by their fortifications Radziwiłł's army had no way of halting the capture of Riga.

Gustav Adolf was conducting operations according to the 'Dutch school' of warfare in which the focus was on controllign territory by the use of forts and fortified towns & cities. Siegewarfare was perfered strategy, not large scale field battles.
Take for example Maurits van Nassau, the great military reformer, he fought & won only one large battle (two if you count the smaller battle of Tournhout) but captured 110 towns and cities in siege warfare.
To quote military writer John Cruso
"The actions of the modern warres consist chiefly in sieges, assaults, sallies, skirmishes, etc., and so affoard but few set battels."

The Polish-Lithuanian armies were almost alone basing their a large part of their strategy on seeking out and defeating the enemy in open battle.
If we look at the 1620's the only other army to consistently do so was the army of the Cathlic Leauge led by Johann Tserclaes Tilly.

Gustav Adolf would slowly change his focus from 'Dutch' style siege warfare to seeking 'battle' in the Polish style, but this development would not be complete until the great victory of Breitenfeld in 1631.  

In 1621-1622 he would employ the cautious Dutch style to the full due the problems the Swedish army still suffered from. From 1625 a new elemet becomes part of the 'Gustavian' strategy. Alongside the focus on fortified positions Gusatv Adolf begins take advantage of any opportunity to agressively strike at smaller enemy forces that are exposed. The battle of Wallhof is a good exampel of this.

Fighting an all-out battle with the Polish army is still not a main goal of Swedish strategy. Indeed only two attempts to do so can be 100% verfied. The first  is at Dirschau in 1627 were the Swedish plan for the second day of fighting was to bring about a full scale battle. But this was brought to a halt when Gustav Adolf was hit by Polish marksmen.
The second attempt was in August of 1628 outside Graudenz were Gustav Adolf attempted to draw Koniecpolski into battle but Koniecpolski refused to engage Gustav Adolf who held a strong position. (In a similar way Gustav Adolf had refused fight with Koniecpolski earlier when a significant part of the Swedish cavalry was absent from  the Swedish camp.)

The 'battles' at Gniew 1626 were small scale only and only involved a small part of the Swedish army at any one time.
Gorzno 1629 was the result of Potocki attemtping to block Wrangel from resupplying the Swedish garrison of Strasburg.

Why rely on Cobron's initiative?
Because he had faith in Cobron as a commander and was certain that the troops assigned to the west bank was enough to carry out their mission which was to mantain the encirlement on that side of the river.
And in the end he was right, Cobron's troops were strong enough to prevent Radziwiłł from breaking through. Indeed had Cobron not exposed troops in the open Swedish losses would have been even lower than they were.
(Swedish losses were about 100 killed or captured over the course of two days)

Sending additional "thousands" of troops across the river would have achived little since Radziwiłł could always have avoided battle due to the great manouvrability of the Lithuanian army.  Chasing Radziwiłł's army around Courland would achive little gain for much effort. And it would increased the risk of exposing the Swedish forces to suprise attacks like the one at Kroppenhof were Cobron was defeated in the fall of 1621.  
To adopt a battle seeking strategy in 1621 woudl have been an error, siege warfare provided safer and surer results.  

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 00:19

I think you might be making the wrong presupposition here — that the point of warfare, and the way to win, is to fight and win battles, no?

Not exactly.
My poin is that wining a battle always gives some advantages. As far as the siege of Riga is concerned, Swedish army in this way could:
1. to shorten the siege
Every siege was time-consuming and expensive. The time of siege depened on many factors, but IMO one of the most important factor always was a morale of defenders. If Radziwiłł's army - these 900 soldiers, who approached to Riga - had been defeated at Riga, defenders of Riga would have lost any hope for a rescue. They would have lost a hope that their defence had any meaning. They would have surrendered much earlier
2. to gain much more than only Riga
Riga wasn't the only one Gustavus' goal. The best proof is his later activity (after Swedish army took Riga). Defeating Radziwiłł's army meant free hand for Swedish army in Livonia and Lithuania. But Radziwiłł's army wasn't defeated at Riga. Thanks to this, Radziwiłł organised more numerous army, which disturbed the Swedes quite efficient.

Here you have 2 very good reasons to fight and defeat Lithuanian army at Riga.

That was not how a commander like Gustavus and his contemporaries would have seen it. (You tell me what the Polish attitude would be, I have no idea. Maybe there was a cultural difference in military doctrine?)

The doctrine for warfare Gustavus came out of said that if you had any other choice you didn't fight battles.

That is the doctrine of the army, which didn't believe that it is better than the enemy army. Avoiding battle - even if sombody has great numerical superiority - was the best sign of weakness. Look at any good army or commander in history. Aleksander the Great, Napoleon or Karl XII - they didn't avoid battles at all. They fought battles (and usually won) even when enemies outnumbered them many times. That is why they were so great. That is why their armies were so good. 

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 01:14

Crossing the Dvina
In 1621 the only fast way for the Swedish army to cross the Dvina in force was to use the fords at Kircholm or ÜxKüll and the Kircholm ford was not very suitable for infantry or artillery. Using the fords would require any troops to march 15-20km from their encampments, cross the river and then march another 15-20km to reach Cobrons lines. I.e it would take close to two days for for a combined arms force to reinforce Cobron. And that is assumign that the troops were ready to march at a moments notice, which they were not since they were fully engaged in the siege.

Captain Gars, do you know anything about the ford close to Riga? According to Henryk Wisner's description of this war, there was a ford at Riga. Unfortunately Wisner doesn't write too many details. He only claims that the ford was in Swedish hands and it was protected by some Swedish blokhauz.

Using the Swedish navy ships would have taken longer and most usefull boats had been collected by the defenders of Riga and were kept in the harbour.

Does it mean that Swedish army didn't have any boats/ships at Riga?
And something else - when did Swedish army find out about Radziwiłł's march to Riga? Is there any correspondence between Cobron and GA about it?

Gustav Adolf was conducting operations according to the 'Dutch school' of warfare in which the focus was on controllign territory by the use of forts and fortified towns & cities. Siegewarfare was perfered strategy, not large scale field battles.

Ok, but the 'Dutch school' was the effect of a very specific situation in Netherlands. Netherlands was a small but dense populated country with a lot of fortified cities and places. And Dutchmen had to rely on fortesses, because they were weaker in the open field than Spanish army (which was probably the best Western army in that time). The 'Dutch school' was the effect of advantages and disadvantages of Netherlands and its army.

The Polish-Lithuanian armies were almost alone basing their a large part of their strategy on seeking out and defeating the enemy in open battle.

It's true. But it was the effect of superiority of Polish army in the open field. The army which believed that is better in the open field, tried to fight in the open field (even if it was ounumbered by enemy). That is why Karl XII and his Swedish army sought enemies and attacked them in the open. That is why Karl XII had so many successes in Poland (and other countries). Can you imagine Karl XII who being in the Gustavus' place at Riga, ignores Radziwiłł's army?

If we look at the 1620's the only other army to consistently do so was the army of the Cathlic Leauge led by Johann Tserclaes Tilly. .

But if you look at Swedish army before GA's reign, you will find that Swedish army wasn't so 'cautious' and if it only outnumbered enemy, it fought in the open field.

Gustav Adolf would slowly change his focus from 'Dutch' style siege warfare to seeking 'battle' in the Polish style, but this development would not be complete until the great victory of Breitenfeld in 1631.  

IMHO, the changing of GA's tactic reflected the changing of quality of his army and the changing of a GA's selfconfidence. GA choose more agressive tactic when he believed that he could win in the open field. 

In 1621-1622 he would employ the cautious Dutch style to the full due the problems the Swedish army still suffered from. From 1625 a new elemet becomes part of the 'Gustavian' strategy. Alongside the focus on fortified positions Gusatv Adolf begins take advantage of any opportunity to agressively strike at smaller enemy forces that are exposed. The battle of Wallhof is a good exampel of this.

Fighting an all-out battle with the Polish army is still not a main goal of Swedish strategy. Indeed only two attempts to do so can be 100% verfied. The first  is at Dirschau in 1627 were the Swedish plan for the second day of fighting was to bring about a full scale battle. But this was brought to a halt when Gustav Adolf was hit by Polish marksmen.
The second attempt was in August of 1628 outside Graudenz were Gustav Adolf attempted to draw Koniecpolski into battle but Koniecpolski refused to engage Gustav Adolf who held a strong position.

When was it exactly?

(In a similar way Gustav Adolf had refused fight with Koniecpolski earlier when a significant part of the Swedish cavalry was absent from  the Swedish camp.)

AFAIK, Gustav Adolf's army at Grudziąc always outnumbered Koniecpolski's one. AFAIK it was Koniecpolski, who provoked GA to open field fighting (even though Swedish army outnumbered Polish one).

The 'battles' at Gniew 1626 were small scale only and only involved a small part of the Swedish army at any one time.
Gorzno 1629 was the result of Potocki attemtping to block Wrangel from resupplying the Swedish garrison of Strasburg.

Why rely on Cobron's initiative?
Because he had faith in Cobron as a commander and was certain that the troops assigned to the west bank was enough to carry out their mission which was to mantain the encirlement on that side of the river.
And in the end he was right, Cobron's troops were strong enough to prevent Radziwiłł from breaking through. Indeed had Cobron not exposed troops in the open Swedish losses would have been even lower than they were.
(Swedish losses were about 100 killed or captured over the course of two days)

Sending additional "thousands" of troops across the river would have achived little since Radziwiłł could always have avoided battle due to the great manouvrability of the Lithuanian army. 

Well, Lithuanian army didn't have great manouvrability at all due 2 factors:
1. it was composed also of infantry (there were at least 3 units of infantry in Radziwiłł's army at Riga, including units of: Mikołaj Korsak, Krzysztof Ołdakowski, Jan Ukolski)
2. there were sloppy roads in that time

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 01:27
BTW, does anybody have a map of the siege of Riga 1621?

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 02:56

1. to shorten the siege
Every siege was time-consuming and expensive. The time of siege depened on many factors, but IMO one of the most important factor always was a morale of defenders. If Radziwiłł's army - these 900 soldiers, who approached to Riga - had been defeated at Riga, defenders of Riga would have lost any hope for a rescue. They would have lost a hope that their defence had any meaning. They would have surrendered much earlier
The siege of Riga was alreayd one of the shortest of the time, that such a large city with strong fortifications fell in only one month time was considered astonishing in Western Europe. It shoudl have taken many months to capture such a city, in the Netherlands such sieges could even take years. Swedish plans show that the siege was expected to take much longer.  

2. to gain much more than only Riga
Riga wasn't the only one Gustavus' goal. The best proof is his later activity (after Swedish army took Riga). Defeating Radziwiłł's army meant free hand for Swedish army in Livonia and Lithuania. But Radziwiłł's army wasn't defeated at Riga. Thanks to this, Radziwiłł organised more numerous army, which disturbed the Swedes quite efficient.
If one reads the swedish documents (which sadly most Polish historians doesn't do for several reasons) it's quite clear that a first Riga and the castles controlling the land route from Estonia was the only target set for that year. However when Riga fell in record time and Radziwiłł's army proved much weaker than expected Gusav Adolf expanded his plans. Instead of starting negotiations for a truce as previously planed the informed Axel Oxenstierna that he would attempt to secure all of Livonia and parts of Courland. Hence the offensive against Mitau which was a success and the failed attempt by Cobron to take Kokenhausen by surprise attack.

I wouldn't consider losing all but one of the attacked towns and castles "quite efficient".

That is the doctrine of the army, which didn't believe that it is better than the enemy army. Avoiding battle - even if sombody has great numerical superiority - was the best sign of weakness. Look at any good army or commander in history. Aleksander the Great, Napoleon or Karl XII - they didn't avoid battles at all. They fought battles (and usually won) even when enemies outnumbered them many times. That is why they were so great. That is why their armies were so good. 
Both Napoleon and Karl XII lost their armies and empires, warfare is about winnign the war, not winning battles.
A battle seeking strategy can be the shortest way to victory but it is not the surest way. Karl X Gustav and Karl XII defeated enemy forces many times but neither were able to defeat Russia or the Commonwealth. In contrast Gustav Adolf who focused on securing territory and contolling it with strong fortifications was able sercure favourable treaties with both Russia and the Commonwealth.  

Numerical superiority is probably the least usefull advantage in battle, other factors are more important. In the case of 1621-1622 period the most important factor was the weakness of the Swedish cavalry which were few in number and whose quality & equipment needed much improvment.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 04:39

BTW, does anybody have a map of the siege of Riga 1621?

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rigawestcol1kz3.jpg">

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6967/rigawestcol1kz3.jpg -

http://imageshack.us">

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1107/rigaeastcol1iy1.jpg -  

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 05:25

Captain Gars, do you know anything about the ford close to Riga? According to Henryk Wisner's description of this war, there was a ford at Riga. Unfortunately Wisner doesn't write too many details. He only claims that the ford was in Swedish hands and it was protected by some Swedish blokhauz.
Not ford as such, at least not in 1621, but it is possible to cross the river with swiming cavalry at the small islands in the lower corner of the second map picture. boats coudl be used to establish a ferry here. But it is not fordable in the military sense. When Sweidhs army crossed river at Riga it always used ship & boats to ferry troops across. Or built a temporary bridge but the army in 1621 had not enough pontoons for this.  

Does it mean that Swedish army didn't have any boats/ships at Riga?
And something else - when did Swedish army find out about Radziwiłł's march to Riga? Is there any correspondence between Cobron and GA about it?

The Swedish fleet was nearby, anchored closer to mouth of the river but the armed ships of Riga and the batteries in the castle and along the riverside made it dangerous to move close to Riga. When Swedish fleet to tried captured the islands opposite the castle the first time one warship was damaged, one transport was set on fire and one transport was captured by ships of from Riga.

Also only a few Swedish ships were suitable for river warfare, the largest ship's boats and seven small galleys. In all only 20-25 Swedish boats and galleys operated effectively in the Dvina at any one time.  

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 10:24

The doctrine for warfare Gustavus came out of said that if you had any other choice you didn't fight battles.

So?
Most armies of the day weren't better than their opponents anyway. At least the Swedes weren't underestimating the Poles, which was what mattered.
Sweden at the time was weak, by all units of measurement. Poor, underpopulated, just having graduated from the little-league of civil wars and fighting the Danes, and occasionally the Russians, to play the international game of war and diplomacy with the Big Boys, like Poland.

What's for damn sure is that engaging the Poles and losing would have been a sign of weakness. Considering the position Sweden was, that was hardly a risk worth taking. It could likely result in a new war with either Denmark or Russia, or both, as they were looking for opportunities.

It sounds as if you're somehow trying to retrospectively shame the Swedes for how they conducted themselves? (Afaik like Polish commentators at the time.)Wink

The Swedish way of fighting wars was often brutal, rarely flashy, but generally careful and methodical. It made them successful enough in the end too, which was what mattered to them.

So sure, the Swedish army might have been a "bad" army, by your measuring-stick. Good or bad tends to take a back-seat to "successful" though. The trick is to know what you've got, know what the enemy's got, and get the best possible result. On balance Gustavus did rather well with the limited means at his disposal, no?Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 11:34

The siege of Riga was alreayd one of the shortest of the time, that such a large city with strong fortifications fell in only one month time was considered astonishing in Western Europe. It shoudl have taken many months to capture such a city, in the Netherlands such sieges could even take years. Swedish plans show that the siege was expected to take much longer.  

Let me compare 2 commanders and 2 campaigns. It will show you what I mean (Joinville, it is also a reply for your last message).

These 2 commanders are Gustav Adolf and Karl XII. And these 2 campaigns are the campaign in Livonia/Courland 1621-1622 and the campaign against Poland in 1702.

Karl XII's offensive against PLC began in the end of March, 1702. 2 weeks later his army captured Vilnius (the capitol of Lithuania). 2 months after begining of the offensive, his army captured Warsaw (the capitol of Poland). Karl XII and his Swedish army defeated Polish-Saxon army in the battle of Kliszów on the 19th of July, 1702. They did it, although Polish-Saxon army outnumbered Swedish one! A half year after the begining of the campaign, Swedish army was at Kraków (old Polish capitol). It wasn't the end of Swedish successes at all. It was just the begining of Karl's great achievements. He did all of this, although Polish-Lithuanian-Saxon army outnumbered his army.

This brief shows what a talented commander with a good army could do.

Now Gustav Adolf

Gustav Adolf landed in Parnawa on the 10th of August 1621 (we can consider this date as the begining of the campaign). The truce was signed exactly one year later. During this year, GA took Riga (Riga capitulated on the 25th of September, 1621) and few minor towns. GA didn't defeat Lithuanian army in any battle, although Swedish army outnumbered Lithuanian one many times (in the begining of the campaign it was about 20:1, while in the end ot the campaign it was about 5:1 disproportion).

And once again - If Radziwiłł's army - these 900 soldiers, who approached to Riga - had been defeated at Riga, defenders of Riga would have lost any hope for a rescue. They would have lost a hope that their defence had any meaning. They would have surrendered on the 10th, or 11th or 12th of September. As I have alredy written, Radziwiłł's army was the only one protection of Lithuania. So 10-14 days later, Swedish army could capture Vilnius (sombody should remember that armies of PLC in that time still were fighting Ottomans at Chocim). One month later Swedish army could capture Warsaw or Gdańsk or every other city in Northern Poland, Prussia or Lithuania. It was still possible, because northern provinces of PLC were completly vulnerable. Professional armies of PLC and even common levy were in the South of Poland until the end of October 1621.

A talented commander with a good army could conquer a half of PLC in the second half of 1621. But the Swedes had cautious GA, who didn't take advantage of the unique situation. Therefore my opinion about GA can't be too good. Comparing to Karl XII, Gustav Adolf was a poor commander. His strategy and tactic was very cautious.

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 12:35
And something else - I have alredy written 'Can you imagine Karl XII who being in the Gustavus' place at Riga, ignores Radziwiłł's army?' I'd like to add to this one comment.
Even if GA really couldn't sent more troops on the west bank of the river (although IMHO he could do it), Swedish army on the west bank counted about 3600 infantry and 750 cavalry - all together about 4350 soldiers (maybe 20-25% less). Radziwiłł had 900 soldiers (including at most 600 cavalry). It means that the Swedes outnumbered Lithuanian army about 4:1. I'm sure that if Karl XII had been there even with only few hundreds soldiers, he would have attacked Radziwiłł's army. GA didn't do it, although he had a few thousands soldiers.

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 12:40

Numerical superiority is probably the least usefull advantage in battle, other factors are more important. In the case of 1621-1622 period the most important factor was the weakness of the Swedish cavalry which were few in number and whose quality & equipment needed much improvment.  

Sombody should remember that Swedish cavalry alone was more numerous than the whole Lithuanian army. Sombody should also remember that Lithuanian army in Livonia was composed of the worst soldiers PLC had (good soldiers were mobilised earlier and were sent against Ottomans).

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 08:08

An ambush involving a bit more than 300 cavalry is hardly a battle, more properly a skirmish or an action if one uses English terms.
Aderkas had 119 men at the start of the campaign and no other troops were presen and was thus outnumbered by the Lithuanians not to mention that he was on the reciving end of another of those skillfully conducted Polish ambushes.
Since Aderkas company mustered some 80 troopers 10 day later it can been seen that his losses were sever but his company wasn't wiped out.  

Captain Gars, your description of the battle (skirmish if you prefer) of Poswol doesn't fit to Polish primary source. For example, the Polish source claims that 'porucznik' (the source doesn't give us his name; could it be Aderkas?) of 'Leibfahne' (Gustav's reiter guard) thanks to GA's permission, before the battle, supported his 'Leibfahne' by the best reiters from other reiter companies. This information comes from this 'porucznik' (Aderkas?), who was imprisoned in that battle/skirmish.

Another divergence – if Aderkas' company was the only one unit which participated in this skirmish and if it lost only 119-80=39 reiters, Lithuanians couldn't kill and imprison more than 39 Swedish soldiers. But it appears that apart from a lot of killed Swedish reiters (the source doesn't state precisely how many Swedes were killed; it only claims that only 1 reiter was able to escape; the rest were killed and imprisoned), Lithuanian hussars imprisoned 43 reiters + 2 corporals + 1 'porucznik' (that is all together 46 POW).

So, could you tell me, what is the source of your information about that skirmish? Which does Swedish primary or secondary source describe this skirmish?

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:27
A close study of the situation in 1621 and 1702 will reveal that it is not possible to compare the two campaigns.

The Swedish armies
In 1621 Gustav Adolf invaded Livonia with 18.000 men out of an army of 24.000, supported only by the meager resources of Sweden-Finland. They army had decent training but was not well equipped. The infantry was poorly clothed which led to lots of disease among the troops in the winter of 1621-1622, 50-75% in Swedish infantry and 25% of Finnish infantry was lost to dieseas in that period. The native cavalry had poor horses and lost many to disease in the winter and of top of that the toops were not well equipped and suffered from a shortage of  pistols and armour. Following a capture of Riga only some 11.000 to 12.000 troops would be available for an invasion of the PLC.

In 1702 Karl XII invaded the PLC with at least 34.000 men out of any army of about 80.000 men. This force was supported by the entire Swedish Empire and could invade by land from two strategic directions. From Livonia as the main army of Karl XII and it's supporting Corps (Stuart, Mörner, Maydel) . It could also advance from Pommerian province as the army of Gyllenstierna did. This army was supported by the wealth of the Swedish Empire i.e not only Sweden-Finland but also the Baltic, Russian and German provinces. It was probably the best trained army of the time and it was very well equipped.

The Polish &Lithuanian armies.

In 1621 the Polish army was justly regarded as one of the strongest in Europe both in numbers and in combat efficiency. Off their contemporaries only the spanish and the Dutch enjoyed smiliar reputations. In 1621 the PLC mobilized close to 100.000 combat troops from various sources, historian Radoslaw Sikora has deitaled the PLC effort in an two part article about the Chocim campaing.
About 35.000 Regulars (paid troops), 2000 facing Sweden in Livonia, 3000 as garrisons in southern Poland and 30.600 at Chocim. The Noble levy and the private armies of the magnates provided 27.400 troops that were retained as a reserv at Lwow. The registered Cossacks numbered 3000 but altogether the Cossacks raised over 40.000 troops of whom some 30.000 were at Chocim.  
While almost all of these troops were commited to the southern theatre of war they would hardly have disapered from the face of the earth simply beacuse Swedish troops took Vilnius and/or Warsaw. Furthermore as I'll show below the fighting at Chocim was over by the time that any Swedish offensive into the Commonwealth.  

In 1702 the PLC armies were weak. According to historian Robert I Frost the Polish army numbered barely 13.000 men while the Lithuanian army had an actual strenght below 4.000 i. e well below their paper strenght. To this one must add the Saxon army which had a main field force of roughly 16.000. The Saxon-Polish troops were effectively outnumbered by the Swedes by a small margin. On top of this the PLC leadership was divided by bitter internal struggles and the will to resist the Swedish invasion was low. In the field the PLC troops were still well equipped in 1702 but their military effiectivness was at an all time low. The Polish army performance at Kliszow was poor, after two charges the entire Crown army left the field, an action which cost the Saxon-Polish forces the victory. Had the Polish troops fought like the men at Kircholm, Kluszyn and Wien the career of Karl XII would have been over then and there.

Comparison of the armed forces of 1621&1702
As can be ssen above the balance of forces in 1621 and 1702 was very diffrent. Karl XII invaded the Commonwealth with forces that were 42% greater than the entire army of Gustav Adolf in 1621(!) and almost twice as large as the army with which Gustav Adolf invaded Livonia. Karl XII probably outnumbered the PLC and Saxon army by a small margin or at least ha parity of numberes. Gustav Adolf on the other hand faced an enemy which fielded over 5 times his own invasion force when one looks at the strategic level.

In 1702 the Swedish army was probably the best in Europe and it would prove it's superiroity of the Saxon and PLC troops time and again. In 1621 the Swedish army was still an untested force, following the numerous defeats in Livonia, Russia and against Denmark it was regarded as one of the worst armies in Europe. It had to face an army which was acknowledged as one of the best in Europe, as far as battlefield success was concerned only the Spanish army had a reputation equal to that of the PLC army. (The Dutch had a great reuptation for siege warfare but had only won one major victory over the Spanish in the open field.)   

In the end it is not possible to make a valid comparison between 1621 and 1702, while superficialy similar the balance of forces was so diffrent as to render a factual historical comparison impossible. But this is only one of problem with the proposed scenario.   

Marching speeds
It would have been impossible for a Swedish army to reach Vilnius in only 10-14 days, that would require the army to march 32 to 23 kilometers a day, such speeds were not possible over a long periof of time for large combined arms army in eastern Europe. Reaching Warsaw in one months time from Vilnius was beyond even Karl XII who ha a faster army. Karl XII who marched almost without artillery and whose pikemen did not wear armour could only average just below 9 kilometers a day on his 'rapid' march from Kowno to Warszawa. And Karl XII moved in the spring and summer, Gustav Adolf would have to move in the fall and winter.

If we look at the actual marching speed of Gustav Adolf's army in 1621 he moved an average of 14km during the advance from Riga to Mitawa. When Cobron moved against Kokenhausen in Novembre the roads were worse and his "flying column" which was to surprise Kokenhausen could only move an average of 7 km a day.
Not only must one take into account the status of the roads (which you yourself said was poor) but the time needed to rest men & horses, repair damaged equippment and most importantly the time need to gather supplies.

So even if the Gustav Adolf's army had moved towards Vilna it would have taken at least 23 days march to get there.(And it unlikely that the army could have sustained such a speed on as long a march as the that between Riga and Vilnius) Using the same speed as Karl XII it would have taken 36 days to get there.

Destroying Radziwill's army
First of all the 900 men Radziwill supposedly had at Riga were not his only troops, after all according to Radziwill himself he had 650 infantry, 550 hussars, 200 kozacky style cavalry and 120 dragoons in the field army in July. And you youself has shown later on the number of troops rose to 2171. In an article about Chocim Polish historian Radoslaw Sikora puts the the Lithuanian army facing Gustav Adolf to 2000 troops. (Obviously an simplification since the article is not focused on Riga but on Chocim.) So clearly more troops were available.

Secondly as shown in the Livonian & Prussian campaigns of 1625-1629 it was essentialy impossible for a Swedish force to destroy a Polish army even it the Polish army was defeated. As at Wallhof and Gorzno the Lithuanian or Polish mounted troops would run away, leaving their infantry & artillery to face the Swedes alone. The superior quality of the Polish horses allowed them to outrun any pursuers. Even if Cobron or Gustav Adolf had defeated Radziwill he would have got away with most of his cavalry to which he could add the new troops being raised.  Do note that not even Karl X Gustav could effectively pursue a defeated Polish force and his cavalry was vastly superiro to anythign that Gustav Adolf had in 1621.

Earlier surrender of Riga
The failure of Radziwill to break the Swedish blockade already had a significant effect on the morale of the defenders of Riga. They had had front row seats when itwas s clealry demonstrated that the Lithuanian army was incapable of taking on the fortified Swedish positions. For all intents and purposes Radziwill had been defeated, wether his losses were low or high the actual losses would have had little impact on the defenders. The important thing was that the Lithuanian army had shown itself to be incapabale of breaking the siege. Still the Rigans fought on, why? Because their defences were still not breached and with a little luck they could prolong the siege until the weather and disease began to wear down the besiegers. Had they faced an 'ordinary' army they would have had resonable chance of this happening.

What they had not taken into account was the power of the Swedish artillery, by landing naval cannon fromt the ships of the Swedish fleet Gustav Adolf was able to assemble a force of almost 60 siege cannon outside Riga, this at a time when most armies seldom employed no more than 10-15 siege cannon at a time. This unprecendented concentration of firepower allowed Gustav Adolf to batter down the fortifications of Riga in record  time.

In the end it is unlikely that the Rigans woudl have surrendered any earlier but even if they had a Swedish offensive outside the boundaries of Livonia and Courland was out of the question.

The 1621 what-if scenario reconsidered. 

Even if Riga had surrendered earlier (which I have shown is unlikely) it would have taken Gustav Adolf at least 33 days to reach Vilnius, 10 days to prepare the field army (the time it took historicaly to get it ready for the Mitawa offensive) and 23 days of marching. Hence Gustav Adolf would reach Vilnius on the 14th of October at the earliest. A more likely arrival time is the 27th if one uses Karl XII's marching speed for the calculations. Eitehr wa, by that time the fighting at Chocim was over, negotiations had ended on the 8th and the Polish army was on the move by the 11th of October . If Gustav Adolf moved from Vilnius at the same speed as Karl XII it would take another 53 days to reach Warsaw. Ample time for the Commonwealth army from Chocim to move to the same area. Even if only the Registred Cossacks had been used that would have meant facing some 22.500 regulars and Cossacks not to mention the 27.400 troops of the Noble Levy and the private armies of the Magnates which had been retained as a reserve army at Lwow. I.e about 50.000 men (less marching losses) against 11.000 men (less large marching losses as well as garrison detachments.)

A calcualtion of the marching losses for both armies as well as looking at the garrison detachments needed would indicate that even with minimal garrisons detached at key points to secure the Swedish line of communications the army of Gustav Adolf would have been reduced to at best 5000 to 5500 men by the time it reach Warsaw were it would face up to 40.000 to 45.000 Polish troops.  Even if none of Levy, Private armies or Cossacks had been used the Swedish army would be outnumbered almost 4-1 indeed the hussars alone would outnumber the entire Swedish army.

Given that the Swedish army suffered severe losses while in winter quarters in Livonia it is entirely possible that any offensive would have ground to a halt well bfore Warsaw was reached as disease and the weather decimated the Swedish troops.    

Capturing Gdansk would have been out of the questions, Gdansk was the greatest fortress city of Northern Europe and quite able to defend it self. It's milita alone wwoudl have outnumbered any Swedish attackers. While not at it's best in the open field it was quite suitable for manning Gdansk's modern fortifications. Add to this the mercenary forces that Gdansk could raise thanks to it's wealth. 

In 1621 an invasion of the PLC was clearly something well beyond the capabilities of the army of Gustav Adolf, to have attempted one would have not only been foolish, it woudl have suicidal. Furthermore it would have provoked the Sejm into greater support of Sigismund (Zygmunt) at a time when there was little interest to finance his 'Swedish' war. Somthing that Gustav Adolf wanted to avoid.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 18:55

If we look at the 1620's the only other army to consistently do so was the army of the Cathlic Leauge led by Johann Tserclaes Tilly. .

But if you look at Swedish army before GA's reign, you will find that Swedish army wasn't so 'cautious' and if it only outnumbered enemy, it fought in the open field.

And lost every battle for their troubles.
Furthermore the reasons the Swedish army fought those battles in the Livonia are a bit more complex than them simply outnumbering the enemy. For much of the 1600-1609 period the Swedish armies were forbidden by Royal order to engage in a major battle and at least one battle was fought in direct disobedience of such an order. Johann von Nassau-Siegen who was in overall command for much of 1601-1602 actively avoided battle.

Kokenhausen 1601
Gyllenhielm was under orders to break the Lithuanian siege and intentionaly engaged in a field battle.

Mexhof (Bialy Kamien) 1604
Arvid Stålarm had strict orders not to fight a battle but was driven to do so by being outmanouvered by Chodkiewicz. The battle was a desperate move by a poor commander. Stålarm was sentenced to death by a Court Martial after the battle.

Kircholm 1605
When the Swedish attempt to surprise the Polish army by a night attack failed the Swedish commanders wanted to avoid battle. Despite the strong objections of Anders Lennartsson Karl IX impatiently ordered the Swedish army to attack after being provoked into doing so by Chodkiewicz.

Dünamunde 1609
Mansfeld had orderns not to fight any large battles but had persmission to strike at exposed Polish forces. An attempt to capture the Lithuanian camp turned into a major engagement when Polish troops returned to camp and forced the Swedish army to fight a large scale battle. 

Klushino 1610
De la Gardie and Evert Horn was forced to fight this battle.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 19:37
I have been interested in the era under discussion and in the Swedish army for many years.

Really, what does all this minutiae have to do with anything?  The Swedes were experimenting; finding their way with new theories of military organization, and with tactics that they might not have thought would work.  These military attitudes were learned from the Dutch.  The offensive thinking of the Swedish king was different than the defensive attitudes of the Dutch.  He didn't know the tactics would work.  Caution was required, especially considering the limited resources of the Swedish monarchy.

Date Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 12:09

I have been interested in the era under discussion and in the Swedish army for many years.

Really, what does all this minutiae have to do with anything?  The Swedes were experimenting; finding their way with new theories of military organization, and with tactics that they might not have thought would work.  These military attitudes were learned from the Dutch.  The offensive thinking of the Swedish king was different than the defensive attitudes of the Dutch.  He didn't know the tactics would work.  Caution was required, especially considering the limited resources of the Swedish monarchy.
Well, I have the impression Ataman wants to say something about the virtues and moral quality of Gustavus and the Swedish army (and probably not something complimentary), but is a bit too circumspect to just blurt it out.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 15:25

Well, I have the impression Ataman wants to say something about the virtues and moral quality of Gustavus and the Swedish army (and probably not something complimentary), but is a bit too circumspect to just blurt it out.Wink

You are probably rightLOL. Gustav Adolf doesn't seem to be one of his favourites. He prefers Karl X Gustav and Karl XII just like me.

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 04:30

A close study of the situation in 1621 and 1702 will reveal that it is not possible to compare the two campaigns.

The Swedish armies
In 1621 Gustav Adolf invaded Livonia with 18.000 men out of an army of 24.000, supported only by the meager resources of Sweden-Finland. They army had decent training but was not well equipped. The infantry was poorly clothed which led to lots of disease among the troops in the winter of 1621-1622, 50-75% in Swedish infantry and 25% of Finnish infantry was lost to dieseas in that period. The native cavalry had poor horses and lost many to disease in the winter and of top of that the toops were not well equipped and suffered from a shortage of  pistols and armour. Following a capture of Riga only some 11.000 to 12.000 troops would be available for an invasion of the PLC.

It was still many times more than Radziwiłł had at his disposal. Moreover Radziwiłł's army was composed of the worst soldiers PLC had.

In 1702 Karl XII invaded the PLC with at least 34.000 men out of any army of about 80.000 men.

Were there 34.000? Polish historian Jan Wimmer in his book claims that Karl XII's army counted only 22.000 (+ 6000 soldiers under Stenbock and Mörner).

Anyway, opposite to 1621, Swedish army in 1702 had to divide its potential, because PLC wasn't the only one enemy of Sweden. Sweden was at war with Russia too. Apart from other armies the Russian army, which was dislocated close to Livonia, counted about 60.000 soldiers.

This force was supported by the entire Swedish Empire and could invade by land from two strategic directions. From Livonia as the main army of Karl XII and it's supporting Corps (Stuart, Mörner, Maydel) . It could also advance from Pommerian province as the army of Gyllenstierna did. This army was supported by the wealth of the Swedish Empire i.e not only Sweden-Finland but also the Baltic, Russian and German provinces. It was probably the best trained army of the time and it was very well equipped.

I agree that the morale was good and that Swedish soldiers were well trained. But I don't agree that they were well equipped. Polish sources claim something opposite. For example Otwinowski claimed that Swedish soldiers were: almost naked, ill-looking and they used poor horses.

The Polish &Lithuanian armies.

In 1621 the Polish army was justly regarded as one of the strongest in Europe both in numbers and in combat efficiency.

Ok, but in 1621-1622 armies of PLC were in Southern Poland. Livonia and other Northern and central provinces of PLC were vulnerable.

Off their contemporaries only the spanish and the Dutch enjoyed smiliar reputations. In 1621 the PLC mobilized close to 100.000 combat troops from various sources, historian Radoslaw Sikora has deitaled the PLC effort in an two part article about the Chocim campaing.

I don't know this article, but in the book 'Wojskowość polska w dobie wojny polsko-szwedzkiej 1626-1629. Kryzys mocarstwa' Sikora explains how many forces were used in Ukraine and how many soldiers were mobilized. He also explains why PLC could use so many soldiers in Southern Poland, while it was imposible to use such big army against the Swedes.

About 35.000 Regulars (paid troops), 2000 facing Sweden in Livonia, 3000 as garrisons in southern Poland and 30.600 at Chocim. The Noble levy and the private armies of the magnates provided 27.400 troops that were retained as a reserv at Lwow. The registered Cossacks numbered 3000 but altogether the Cossacks raised over 40.000 troops of whom some 30.000 were at Chocim.  
While almost all of these troops were commited to the southern theatre of war they would hardly have disapered from the face of the earth simply beacuse Swedish troops took Vilnius and/or Warsaw. Furthermore as I'll show below the fighting at Chocim was over by the time that any Swedish offensive into the Commonwealth.  

Let me explain something. First of all, after the battle of Chocim, mercenary amies of PLC were in catastrophic form. Infantry was so poor that was dying during the march to Lwów. Cavalry lost most of their horses (some primary sources claim that cavalrymen lost 70% of their horses). Horses, which survived, were in catastrophic form. Moreover, the soldiers, who reached Lwów rebelled. Therefore for a long time Radziwiłł wasn't supported by any unit, which participated in the battle of Chocim. The rebellion finished only in August, 1622.

After the battle of Chocim, Cossacks came back homes. They did it so late only thanks to prince Władysław Waza, who hold them in the camp at Chocim until the end of the battle. It was impossible to hold Cossacks after the battle at all. Moreover using of Cossacks in Northern PLC wasn't possible for many other reasons.

Private armies depended on their owners, who (like Polish magnate Tomasz Zamojski) had to defend their estates in Souther Poland. The only one support for Radziwiłł's army could be (but only in theory) armies of Lithuanian magnates. In practice Lithuanian magnates weren't able to pay more for soldiers. They already paid huge costs, when they became rotmistrzes of regular army (the army, which fought at Chocim). AFAIK there wasn't any Lithuanian private army at Lwów. There were only Polish magnates.

Noble levy – was almost worthless. Moreover there was the right, which limited their activity only to 6 weeks.

That is why over a year after Swedish invasion of Livonia, Radziwiłł's army was still so small.

In 1702 the PLC armies were weak. According to historian Robert I Frost the Polish army numbered barely 13.000 men while the Lithuanian army had an actual strenght below 4.000 i. e well below their paper strenght.

But:
1. PLC wasn't at war with any other country
2. These numbers above are correct only for the time of peace. Karl XII knew (and probably expected) that PLC could raise much bigger army against him (in fact it happened, thought later).
3. After victorius war with Ottoman Empire (finished in 1699), armies of PLC had a good name.
4. Together with Saxon army, August II Sas had in the battle of Kliszów (the decisive battle of this campaign) more soldiers than Karl XII had.

To this one must add the Saxon army which had a main field force of roughly 16.000. The Saxon-Polish troops were effectively outnumbered by the Swedes by a small margin. On top of this the PLC leadership was divided by bitter internal struggles and the will to resist the Swedish invasion was low. In the field the PLC troops were still well equipped in 1702 but their military effiectivness was at an all time low.

Anyway poor army is still better than army, which doesn't exist :).

The Polish army performance at Kliszow was poor, after two charges the entire Crown army left the field, an action which cost the Saxon-Polish forces the victory. Had the Polish troops fought like the men at Kircholm, Kluszyn and Wien the career of Karl XII would have been over then and there.

Ok, but when Karl XII invaded PLC in 1702, he couldn't be sure that:
  1. the invasion won't unit the country against him

2. the internal struggles in Polish army won't stop

3. Polish army in the battle of Kliszów will fight so poor

Comparison of the armed forces of 1621&1702
As can be ssen above the balance of forces in 1621 and 1702 was very diffrent. Karl XII invaded the Commonwealth with forces that were 42% greater than the entire army of Gustav Adolf in 1621(!) and almost twice as large as the army with which Gustav Adolf invaded Livonia. Karl XII probably outnumbered the PLC and Saxon army by a small margin or at least ha parity of numberes. Gustav Adolf on the other hand faced an enemy which fielded over 5 times his own invasion force when one looks at the strategic level.

As I have already written, it is not so simple. Karl XII invaded PLC with army which was much smaller than the potential of PLC and Saxony (and in fact he fought with PLC-Saxon army, which outnumbered him in the battle of Kliszów). Moreover Sweden was at war also with Russia, while PLC was at war only with Sweden.

On the other hand, in 1621 Sweden wasn't at war with any other country, while PLC had to divide its potential between Sweden and Ottoman Empire. Thanks to this, GA outnumbered enemies many times.

In 1702 the Swedish army was probably the best in Europe and it would prove it's superiroity of the Saxon and PLC troops time and again.

Well, the participation of Polish or Lithuanian army in the GNW before 1702 was really insignificant. In fact Karl XII couldn't know if his army is superior to Polish one.

In 1621 the Swedish army was still an untested force, following the numerous defeats in Livonia, Russia and against Denmark it was regarded as one of the worst armies in Europe. It had to face an army which was acknowledged as one of the best in Europe, as far as battlefield success was concerned only the Spanish army had a reputation equal to that of the PLC army. (The Dutch had a great reuptation for siege warfare but had only won one major victory over the Spanish in the open field.)   

In the end it is not possible to make a valid comparison between 1621 and 1702, while superficialy similar the balance of forces was so diffrent as to render a factual historical comparison impossible. But this is only one of problem with the proposed scenario.   

Marching speeds
It would have been impossible for a Swedish army to reach Vilnius in only 10-14 days, that would require the army to march 32 to 23 kilometers a day, such speeds were not possible over a long periof of time for large combined arms army in eastern Europe.

Impossible? I don't agree. Combined army could march very fast. When Polish army marched to rescue Vienna in 1683 it had a marching speed about 30km per day (although Sobieski's army was bigger than Swedish one in 1621).

Reaching Warsaw in one months time from Vilnius was beyond even Karl XII who ha a faster army. Karl XII who marched almost without artillery and whose pikemen did not wear armour could only average just below 9 kilometers a day on his 'rapid' march from Kowno to Warszawa. And Karl XII moved in the spring and summer, Gustav Adolf would have to move in the fall and winter.

September and October is not a winter Wink. Moreover, when GA captured Riga, armies of PLC still were fighting at Chocim. And remember that the distance from Riga to Warszawa isn't bigger than the distance from Chocim to Warszawa.

I will write the rest of my reply later...

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 04:34
Originally posted by Majkes

You are probably rightLOL. Gustav Adolf doesn't seem to be one of his favourites. He prefers Karl X Gustav and Karl XII just like me.

Majkes, Joinville, anyone
I am just trying to be objective.

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 06:53

Majkes, Joinville, anyone

I am just trying to be objective.

Yes, but there seems to be very little real dissension about the basic facts of the situations involved.

And then it boils down to interpretation. With you essentially saying that Gustavus was a bad commander of a bad army, and others pretty much saying sure, or whatever, but it got the job done.

And you come back insinuating that getting the job done, achieving the limited but realistic war objectives of Gustavus and the Swedes in 1621, somehow just isn't good enough.

Why isn't the limited but realistic Swedish objective of taking Riga in 1621, which they blithely went an did pretty much unmolested, somehow not good enough for you? Why should Gustavus and the Swedes have been more ambitious and more aggressive at the time?

And aren't you making assumptions about what you, and modern historians, know about the state of the Polish army in 1621, and then browbeating Gustavus for not possessing this information? He was a careful commander. The trick isn't just taking stuff, but not over-extending and holding on to it. Riga was the objective. It remained Swedish until 1710, in one blow giving Swedish a major city four times the size of Stockholm, and a major cash-cow for the Swedish government. Seems a fair profit for the stakes involved, no?

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 10:30

And then it boils down to interpretation. With you essentially saying that Gustavus was a bad commander of a bad army, and others pretty much saying sure, or whatever, but it got the job done.

Joinville, you have got me wrong. I have written a couple of times in this forum (though maybe not in this tread), that Gustavus was a good commander, but - opposite to many people, who think that he was one of the best commander in history - IMHO, he wasn't a brilliant commander. That's my point.

I also think that Karl XII was much better than GA. It's true that Karl XII finally lost a war, but:
- although Napoleon finally lost, nobody doubts that he was one of the best commander in history. So, although Karl XII lost a war, he can't be judged only from this point of view.
- GA was killed in the battle and it wasn't his achievement that Sweden didn't lose TYW.

And you come back insinuating that getting the job done, achieving the limited but realistic war objectives of Gustavus and the Swedes in 1621, somehow just isn't good enough.

Why isn't the limited but realistic Swedish objective of taking Riga in 1621, which they blithely went an did pretty much unmolested, somehow not good enough for you? Why should Gustavus and the Swedes have been more ambitious and more aggressive at the time?

And aren't you making assumptions about what you, and modern historians, know about the state of the Polish army in 1621, and then browbeating Gustavus for not possessing this information? He was a careful commander. The trick isn't just taking stuff, but not over-extending and holding on to it. Riga was the objective. It remained Swedish until 1710, in one blow giving Swedish a major city four times the size of Stockholm, and a major cash-cow for the Swedish government. Seems a fair profit for the stakes involved, no?

Riga wasn't the main aim of Polish-Swedish wars in 1620's. The aim was a profitable peace. AFAIK, GA in 1620's wanted to give back Livonia (and Riga) to PLC. But GA demanded a relinquishment of the right to Swedish throne by Zygmunt III Waza.
Zygmunt III Waza didn't relinquish this right. Maybe because GA captured only Riga Wink? So, GA involved his country in next wars against PLC. These wars (1625-1629) finally didn't get Sweden nothing more except experience. Remember that the truce in 1635 wasn't better for Sweden than the truce in 1622. And I think that temporary profits (I mean the truce in 1629) can't compensate costs (I mean monay and died and wounded soldiers) of years of expensive wars against PLC.

Joinville, I'm talking about an alternative history. I'm talking about history in which GA could gain a profitable peace in 1621 or in 1622. But if sombody wants to force his enemy to any concession, he has to have a strong arguments. IMHO a half of PLC (with 2 capitols and the richest cities and ports) in Swedish hands were fairly enough to make a concession by Zygmunt III Waza.
GA didn't take advantage of the unique situation in 1621. He could finish the war in 1621-1622, but instead of this, he captured only Riga. That's why IMHO he was only a good commander, but he wasn't a brilliant one.

Date Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 19:42

Destroying Radziwill's army
First of all the 900 men Radziwill supposedly had at Riga were not his only troops, after all according to Radziwill himself he had 650 infantry, 550 hussars, 200 kozacky style cavalry and 120 dragoons in the field army in July. And you youself has shown later on the number of troops rose to 2171. In an article about Chocim Polish historian Radoslaw Sikora puts the the Lithuanian army facing Gustav Adolf to 2000 troops. (Obviously an simplification since the article is not focused on Riga but on Chocim.) So clearly more troops were available.

Secondly as shown in the Livonian & Prussian campaigns of 1625-1629 it was essentialy impossible for a Swedish force to destroy a Polish army even it the Polish army was defeated. As at Wallhof and Gorzno the Lithuanian or Polish mounted troops would run away, leaving their infantry & artillery to face the Swedes alone. The superior quality of the Polish horses allowed them to outrun any pursuers. Even if Cobron or Gustav Adolf had defeated Radziwill he would have got away with most of his cavalry to which he could add the new troops being raised.  Do note that not even Karl X Gustav could effectively pursue a defeated Polish force and his cavalry was vastly superiro to anythign that Gustav Adolf had in 1621.

Captain Gars, a couple of messages above you have stated that Radziwiłł's army didn't disturb the Swedes quite efficient. I mean that Lithuanian army, which in reality, after reinforcement, had about 2000 soldiers.

So, why do you think that smaller Lithuanian army could do anything? Why do you think that the army composed only of a few hundreds cavalry (if we agree that Lithuanian cavalry could survive the battle of Riga) could be any obstacle for 11.000-12.000 Swedish soldiers?

Earlier surrender of Riga
The failure of Radziwill to break the Swedish blockade

It is possible to talk about 'failure', only if there is a will to do something. I've already explained that Radziwiłł didn't try to break Swedish blockade of Riga. It was impossible with only 900 soldiers. And Radziwiłł knew about it very well. I have already explained what Radziwiłł's goal was.

already had a significant effect on the morale of the defenders of Riga. They had had front row seats when itwas s clealry demonstrated that the Lithuanian army was incapable of taking on the fortified Swedish positions. For all intents and purposes Radziwill had been defeated, wether his losses were low or high the actual losses would have had little impact on the defenders.

Radziwiłł's army wasn't defeated at Riga. Radziwiłł's army defeated Swedish one in the first day of 'the battle' and couldn't provoke Swedish army to leave fortified position in the second day of the battle. In fact it is the Radziwiłł's failure to provoke the Swedes to the open field fighting. It is not a defeat of Radziwiłł's army.

Capturing Gdansk would have been out of the questions, Gdansk was the greatest fortress city of Northern Europe and quite able to defend it self.

It's a wrong assumption. It is enough to check the campaign in 1626 to see that Gdańsk wasn't able to defend itself without the help of the state army. The situation in 1621 was even worse than in 1626, because in 1621 Gdańsk didn't have mercenary army.

It's milita alone wwoudl have outnumbered any Swedish attackers. While not at it's best in the open field it was quite suitable for manning Gdansk's modern fortifications.

The modern fortifications of Gdańsk weren't finished in 1621, but only in 1628.

Add to this the mercenary forces that Gdansk could raise thanks to it's wealth. 

During a peace Gdańsk indeed could raise numerous mercenary army, but it couldn't do it so fast. The situation in 1621 was much worse than during a peace, because PLC had already mobilized almost everything it could. There weren't enough soldiers to raise new and numerous army. Radziwiłł in Livonia had huge problem to raise any new unit, because there weren't enough soldiers. Even the army which fought at Chocim was smaller than it was planed, because the shortage of soldiers didn't permit to raise bigger army.

Date Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 20:05
The 1621 what-if scenario reconsidered.

History shows, that in reality GA had huge numerical superiority in Northern PLC for over a year. Thanks to rebellion of mercenary soldiers of PLC, thanks to other factors, Radziwiłł's army was in that time outnumbered by GA's army many times. If GA had defeated Radziwiłł's army at Riga, the disproportion would have been even bigger.
Cities in Northern Poland were vulnerable for over a year. Even the biggest and the richest Gdańsk wasn't able to defend itself in 1621-1622.
GA's army was able to capture every city in Northern PLC in that time. The conquest of Vilnius, Warsaw, Gdańsk could be enough to negotiate a profitable peace for Sweden.
Both Sweden and PLC had limited resources, but with these 3 cities in Swedish hands and with a will to negotiation, Sweden was able to finish the war in 1622. PLC in that time didn't have neither monay, nor will (nor soldiers) to fight Sweden. It had other problems, like rebelled soldiers or possible attack of Russia. Sombody should also take into consideration an influence of Swedish offensive in Northern PLC on sultan's decisions. It is possible that sultan could decide to fight much longer at Chocim.

Date Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 20:59

Captain Gars, a couple of messages above you have stated that Radziwiłł's army didn't disturb the Swedes quite efficient. I mean that Lithuanian army, which in reality, after reinforcement, had about 2000 soldiers.

So, why do you think that smaller Lithuanian army could do anything? Why do you think that the army composed only of a few hundreds cavalry (if we agree that Lithuanian cavalry could survive the battle of Riga) could be any obstacle for 11.000-12.000 Swedish soldiers?

"Quite efficient" is the same as writing completly effcient or 100% efficent, i.e it denotes an extremly high degree of success. There are more levels of efficiency than "quite efficient" and "inefficient".

Secondly there is a marked difference between harassign a Swedish army holdign fortified postions with small but mobile force of predominantly cavalry and harassing an army on the march.   On the march the Swedish army would have been vulnerable to the kind surprise attack which shattered Cobrons corps when it attempted to take Kokenhausen.

The Lithuanians could have adopted the kind of light cavalry operations that were so successfull against the Swedes even in 1656, a time when the Swedens held the upper hand in most large scale battles.
Karl Gustav with a much more effcient and 5 times larger army still lost over 40% of his troops under such conditions.
Given that the Swedis cavalry of 1621 was much poor in quality than that of 1656 and on top of that much fewer the Lithuanians coud easily have destroyed the Swedish cavalry as a fighting force through a series of raids an ambushes. Once the cavalry was rendered ineffective the infantry would be lost.  Which in a nutshell is why there was no Swedish offensive deep into the PLC.

It is possible to talk about 'failure', only if there is a will to do something. I've already explained that Radziwiłł didn't try to break Swedish blockade of Riga. It was impossible with only 900 soldiers. And Radziwiłł knew about it very well. I have already explained what Radziwiłł's goal was.

(...) 
Radziwiłł's army wasn't defeated at Riga. Radziwiłł's army defeated Swedish one in the first day of 'the battle' and couldn't provoke Swedish army to leave fortified position in the second day of the battle. In fact it is the Radziwiłł's failure to provoke the Swedes to the open field fighting. It is not a defeat of Radziwiłł's army.

Regardless of Radziwiłł's intentions his apperance was precived as an attempt to break the blockade by the Rigans. On the 2nd Day they even launched a dangerous amphibious assault on the Swedish position on the west bank to aid Radziwiłł in breaking through. It failed and cost Riga irreplacable resources.

Hence his withdrawal was seen as a defeat of the Lithuanian army by the Rigans and they reacted accordingly.

That Radziwiłł's mission was reconaissance, not a breakrhough  and that he was undefeated is true but this the Rigans did not know at the time.

It's a wrong assumption. It is enough to check the campaign in 1626 to see that Gdańsk wasn't able to defend itself without the help of the state army. The situation in 1621 was even worse than in 1626, because in 1621 Gdańsk didn't have mercenary army.

(...)
(...) 
During a peace Gdańsk indeed could raise numerous mercenary army, but it couldn't do it so fast. The situation in 1621 was much worse than during a peace, because PLC had already mobilized almost everything it could. There weren't enough soldiers to raise new and numerous army. Radziwiłł in Livonia had huge problem to raise any new unit, because there weren't enough soldiers. Even the army which fought at Chocim was smaller than it was planed, because the shortage of soldiers didn't permit to raise bigger army.
Since Swedish troops didn't approach with in 20 kilometers of Gdansk in 1626 and indeed neither intended nor made any attempt to attack the city the 1626 campaign tells us exaclty zero about Gdansk's ability to defend itself. (Since it was not called upon to do so.) 

I have extensive drawings & information of Gdansk's fortificatiosn in the 1620's, even in their less than ideal state in 1621 they were far stronger than those of Riga and even without sizeable force of mercenaries the small standing force of troops mantained together with the milita would have been more than enough to defend the city against 3000-4000 half-starved and ill equipped Swedes.

Gdansk could have done what it did both before and after 1621, hired foreign mercenaries. The PLC mobilization effort had no impact what so ever on the availability of German mercenaries. Rasing an enitre amry wpudl have taken time but enough troops could have been recruited make the defences impregnabel against any possible Swedish attack.

(Of course the possibility of a Swedish attack was nill since the Swedish army would have been destroyed by strategic consumption before it arrived at Gdansk.)   

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 23:02

Marching speeds
It would have been impossible for a Swedish army to reach Vilnius in only 10-14 days, that would require the army to march 32 to 23 kilometers a day, such speeds were not possible over a long periof of time for large combined arms army in eastern Europe.

Impossible? I don't agree. Combined army could march very fast. When Polish army marched to rescue Vienna in 1683 it had a marching speed about 30km per day (although Sobieski's army was bigger than Swedish one in 1621).

I've checked the real marching speed of Polish army in September-October 1621. It shows what was possible in those weather conditions.

Zygmunt III Waza's guard (3000 soldiers; combined army of cavalry and infantry) marched from Warszawa to Lwów (that is about 350 km) in 17 days. It gives an average speed of about 20-21 km/day. In fact the marching speed was 20-25% higher, because I've measured the distance (350 km) in a straight line direction.

The distance from Riga to Vilnius is about 275 km (in a straight line direction) = about 13-14 days
The distance from Vilnius to Warszawa/Warsaw (in a straight line direction) is about 390 km = about 19 days
The distance from Chocim to Lwów (in a straight line direction) is about 250 km = about 14 days

The distance from Riga to Gdańsk depends on winds Wink I suppose that it might be a week of voyage (by the Baltic).

So, even if marching to Warsaw could be risky for Swedish army (because Swedish army could meet the Royal guard - the only one real force, which was at Polish disposal in October 1621), capturing vulnerable Gdańsk and Vilnius certainly was possible.

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 23:35

(...)
(...) 
Since Swedish troops didn't approach with in 20 kilometers of Gdansk in 1626 and indeed neither intended nor made any attempt to attack the city the 1626 campaign tells us exaclty zero about Gdansk's ability to defend itself. (Since it was not called upon to do so.) 

You are wrong. The approaching of the Swedish army to Gdańsk was fairly enough to send imploring letters to Polish king with a request about immediate rescue. It shows the real ability of Gdańsk to defend itself in 1626. Sombody should remember that in 1626 Gdańsk had 3000 mercenary army and had better fortifications (thought they still weren't finished) than in 1621.
In 1621 Gdańsk didn't have a mercenary army and couldn't rely on any rescue.

I have extensive drawings & information of Gdansk's fortificatiosn in the 1620's, even in their less than ideal state in 1621 they were far stronger than those of Riga

So, you have forgoten about something. Gdańsk had really good fortifications in 1621, but they didn't protect the whole city. Eastern side was protected only by Motława river (some 50m wide). There weren't any fortifications in 1621. Opposite to Gdańsk, Riga was protected by fortifications and Dźwina river (a few hundred meters wide). It certainly was better protection than 50 m wide Motława.
Gdańsk realized that Motława wasn't a suitable defence. Therefore it had built Eastern fortifications later.

and even without sizeable force of mercenaries the small standing force of troops mantained together with the milita would have been more than enough to defend the city against 3000-4000 half-starved and ill equipped Swedes.

3000-4000 half-starved and ill equipped Swedes? I think you've exaggerated. Can you tell me how many soldiers GA had in last days of September 1621? Those soldiers (several thousands) could be use at Gdańsk. As I've written in my previous message, the distance from Riga to Gdańsk is only as long as the sea voyage between these cities.

Gdansk could have done what it did both before and after 1621, hired foreign mercenaries. The PLC mobilization effort had no impact what so ever on the availability of German mercenaries.

The PLC mobilization effort had huge impact on the availability of German mercenaries. Do you know that PLC planed to hire 10.000 German infantrymen to the war against Ottoman Empire in 1621? The life proved it impossbile. Having almost a year, PLC couldn't hire more than 6500 German infantrymen.
If the whole state couldn't hire as many soldiers as it needed, one city (even the biggest and the most wealthy) couldn't do it too.

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 23:46

The Lithuanians could have adopted the kind of light cavalry operations that were so successfull against the Swedes even in 1656, a time when the Swedens held the upper hand in most large scale battles.
Karl Gustav with a much more effcient and 5 times larger army still lost over 40% of his troops under such conditions.

Captain Gars, Karl Gustav didn't lose 40% of his army in 1 month. And there was another disproportion of forces in 1656 than in 1621. In 1656 Polish and Lithuanian army outnumbered the Swedish one, while in 1621 it was the Swedish army, which outnumbered Lithuanian one many times.

(...) 

Regardless of Radziwiłł's intentions his apperance was precived as an attempt to break the blockade by the Rigans.

Are you sure? AFAIK, Rigans had a contact with Radziwiłł, so they should know that his action wasn't any attempt to break the Swedish blockade. I wonder what our Latvian friends can say about it.

Date Posted: 01-May-2007 at 14:50

I have extensive drawings & information of Gdansk's fortificatiosn in the 1620's, even in their less than ideal state in 1621 they were far stronger than those of Riga

So, you have forgoten about something. Gdańsk had really good fortifications in 1621, but they didn't protect the whole city. Eastern side was protected only by Motława river (some 50m wide). There weren't any fortifications in 1621. Opposite to Gdańsk, Riga was protected by fortifications and Dźwina river (a few hundred meters wide). It certainly was better protection than 50 m wide Motława.
Gdańsk realized that Motława wasn't a suitable defence. Therefore it had built Eastern fortifications later.

Look at this
http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/latvia/riga/maps/braun_hogenberg_III_43_2_b.jpg - http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/latvia/riga/maps/braun_hogenberg_III_43_2_b.jpg
This is the sight of Riga in 1581. Riga was protected by walls even from the bank of Duna.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com