Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stanislaw Koniecpolski vs Gustav II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanislaw Koniecpolski vs Gustav II
    Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 11:06
This topic is a continuation of this discussion:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13436&PN=22

By now, the first part of my answer to the last Spartan's post:

Majkes: We had more serious oponents. In 1621 over 100.000 Ottomans army invaded Poland. I can assure You that Gustav Adolf and Swedish weren't at that time consider as a force which could defeat PolishLithuanian army...

Spartan: Perhaps, but they must have really underestimated the Swedes by leaving such a scant amount of forces;

my comment: It's true that the Poles understimated the Swedes until (at least) 1621. But there were solid reasons to do it. The Swedish-Polish war began in 1600. Until 1626 the Poles and Lithuanians won every battle with Swedish army even if the Swedes outnumbered P-L armies many times (like at Kircholm 1605 or at Paide 1604 etc.). Sweden was poor, weak and sparsely populated country. And I have to say it (I hope Swedish members of this forum will forgive me), Sweden wasn't civilized country (at least in the opinion of the Poles). The war until 1620 only confirmed that P-L Commonwealth had no reason to affraid Sweden.

Opposite to Sweden, Ottoman Empire was one of the strongest states in the world. Its successes in fighting Christians were well known in Poland. The Poles remembered very well battles of Warna 1444 and Mochacz 1526 (where fought and lost also Polish soldiers). And the Poles had new and terrible example in 1620 the battle of Cecora, where Polish regular army was beaten and where 2 main commanders of Polish army (I mean both hetmans) were killed (Stanisław Żłkiewski) and captured (Stanisław Koniecpolski).

Spartan, imagine that you are a Polish king (or any other politician) in 1620. Having this knowledge, which enemy you can affraid more? Remember that the heart of your country (P-L Commonwealth) will be attacked by a huge and victorious army of the great Empire (nobody had doubts in 1620 that Ottomans will attack in 1621). And probably (but only probably) one and new province of your country (I mean Livonia) will be attacked from the other side by a weak and loser Swedish army.

Spartan, you are a Polish king in 1620. You have an army, which might be insufficient against more dangerous enemy (Ottoman Empire). Are you sure that it is a good idea to send more soldiers to Livonia?

Spartan: Gustavus occupied Livonia and Courland by the end of 1622. The Ottomans were checked by Jan Chodkiewicz in 1621,

my comment: Gustavus occupied Livonia only because the bulk of Polish-Lithuanian army fought against Ottomans in 1621. The Ottoman invasion was stopped, but after that Polish and Lithuania soldiers, who didn't receive salary, rebeled and they couldn't have been used against the Swedes neither in 1621 nor in 1622.

Spartan: and, unless I'm missing something, no serious threat to the Polish-Lithunian Commonwealth emerged from the south-east again until 1633, and Stanislaw Koniecpolski crushed Tartar threats from 1624-1626, which allowed for his arrival against Gustavus in November, 1626. But Tartar raids would still disrupt life in SE Poland.  

my comment: Spartan, Polish southern borders were threated until 1644. For example in 1626 the Poles expected the war with Ottoman Empire again. The Poles mobilised army, but fortunately the war with Ottomans didn't occur. When Koniecpolski left southern Poland, numerous Tartar army invaded Poland, but it was defeated by the Polish army. In the period 1626-1629 southern Poland and Crimean Khanate saw bigger battles than in Prussia. There was a rivalry in Khanate about the throne. Polish Cossacks were involved in this rivalry. For a short period of time the Khanate was a vassal of Poland. Of course Ottoman Empire couldn't tolerate this change. The war with Ottoman Empire was a real danger.

Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 03:42
[QUOTE=ataman]

<SPAN>my comment: It's true that the Poles understimated the Swedes until (at least) 1621. But there were solid reasons to do it. The Swedish-Polish war began in 1600. Until 1626 the Poles and Lithuanians won every battle with Swedish army even if the Swedes outnumbered P-L armies many times (like at Kircholm 1605 or at Paide 1604 etc.). Sweden was poor, weak and sparsely populated country. And I have to say it (I hope Swedish members of this forum will forgive me), Sweden wasn't civilized country (at least in the opinion of the Poles). The war until 1620 only confirmed that P-L Commonwealth had no reason to affraid Sweden. </SPAN>

<SPAN>Opposite to Sweden, Ottoman Empire was one of the strongest states in the world. Its successes in fighting Christians were well known in Poland. The Poles remembered very well </SPAN><SPAN>battles of Warna 1444 and Mochacz 1526 (where fought and lost also Polish soldiers). And the Poles had new and terrible example in 1620 the battle of Cecora, where Polish regular army was beaten and where 2 main commanders of Polish army (I mean both hetmans) were killed (Stanis?aw ??kiewski) and captured (Stanis?aw Koniecpolski).</SPAN>

Looks like a fair assessment.
The Poles would have been nuts not to focus on the Ottomans. The Swedish turning up would be part of this internal dynastic squabble within the family of the Wasa, hence personal and bitter, but the Swedish army had not yet aquired these new tactics and technologies coming into use. They weren't yet what they later became.
The Swedish poverty and constant problem of underpopulation would only later be (temporarily) made up for by getting really good at administration, but that took the reforms of Oxenstierna (maybe even more important than Gustavus for keeping the Swedes in a fight, his reforms provided the sinews of war for Sweden). Polish confidence at the time would seem to be entirely justified.

However, the break down of the major battles between Swedes and Poles for that particular war by Swedish count comes out even:

Kokenhusen, 17 June 1601 (Polish victory)
Weissenstein 15 September 1604 (Polish victory)
Kirkholm 17 September 1605 (Polish victory)
Riga 15 September 1621 (Swedish victory)
Wallhof 8 January 1626 (Swedish victory)
Mewe 21 September 1626 (Swedish victory)
Hammerstein 13 April 1627 (Polish victory)
Dirschau 8 August 1627 (tie)
Danzig 15 July 1628 (Swedish victory)
Osterode 14 October 1628 (Polish victory)
Gurzno 2 February 1629 (Swedish victory)

And if the initial three encounters were all Polish, after the 16 year "lull", it's Sweden 5-2 and a draw 1621-1629. (Very much looking like sports this...)

And if it's the perfomance of Gustavus on the line, the first three battles were fought under his father Charles IX, at which point Sweden wasn't just dealing with Poland but with Denmark and Russia as well, of which the Danish threat was the most immediate and serious.

The early part of this war might have been a bit of a sideshow for Swedes and Poles alike.
One must not insult the future.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 20:05

Spartan: The campaigns fought by Gustaf II Adolf, more commonly known to us outside of Sweden as Gustavus Adolphus, the king of Sweden, in Livonia and Polish Prussia between 1617 and 1629 recieve comparitively little attention. This disappoints me, as the military reforms of Gustavus, those of utilizing his country's patriotic fervor with a draft of manpower and combining arms of shock power with cavalry charges in conjunction with infantry and lighter and more mobile field artillery, were surely influenced by the fact that the superior Polish-Lithuanian cavalry, most notably the vaunted husaria (plural for hussar), the crack heavy Polish cavalry, and the pancerni,

my comment: Actually in the first half of 17th c. Polish light cavalry was called 'kozacy' (cossacks in English). The name 'pancerni' was used only since the second half of 17th c.

Spartan: the medium cavalry, could not be beaten at this time in the early 17th century without utilizing combined arms and terrain not conducive to their style, which would diminish their ability to fight to the degree that ensured them victory. As it turned out, it worked.  

Gustavus' father, king Karl (Charles) IX of Sweden, repulsed an incursion into Sweden by Sigismund III at Stangebro (near modern Linkoping) in 1598.

my comments: Spartan, don't get me wrong, but I think that you involuntarily repeat old Swedish propaganda. Why do you write 'repulsed an incursion'? Sigismund III (Zygmunt III Waza in Polish) was a legal king of Sweden since 1592. The Swedish throne was heraditary. Sigismundus was the oldest son of king of Sweden Johan III (Jan III in Polish). After Johan's dead Sigismundus become a king of Sweden.

When legal Swedish king Sigismundus went to Sweden, he wasn't invader.

Karl (later Karl IX) was a brother of Johan III. In 1598 he was only a chancellor. Nothing more. It should be also remembered that before Johan III's death, the king administered an oath to Swedish aristocracy which obliged them to resistance against Karl. I mean, if Karl had tried to reach Swedish throne, Swedish aristocracy was obliged to resistance.

Edited by ataman - 30-Nov-2006 at 20:06
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by Joinville

However, the break down of the major battles between Swedes and Poles for that particular war by Swedish count comes out even:

Kokenhusen, 17 June 1601 (Polish victory)
Weissenstein 15 September 1604 (Polish victory)
Kirkholm 17 September 1605 (Polish victory)
Riga 15 September 1621 (Swedish victory)
Wallhof 8 January 1626 (Swedish victory)
Mewe 21 September 1626 (Swedish victory)
Hammerstein 13 April 1627 (Polish victory)
Dirschau 8 August 1627 (tie)
Danzig 15 July 1628 (Swedish victory)
Osterode 14 October 1628 (Polish victory)
Gurzno 2 February 1629 (Swedish victory)

Joinville, the list above isn't too accurate. But forgive me, I don't want to involve myself in a next discussion now. First of all I'd like to write a reply for Spartan's loooooooooooong message.

Edited by ataman - 30-Nov-2006 at 20:13
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 05:25
my comments: Spartan, don't get me wrong, but I think that you involuntarily repeat old Swedish propaganda. Why do you write 'repulsed an incursion'? Sigismund III (Zygmunt III Waza in Polish) was a legal king of Sweden since 1592. The Swedish throne was heraditary. Sigismundus was the oldest son of king of Sweden Johan III (Jan III in Polish). After Johan's dead Sigismundus become a king of Sweden.

When legal Swedish king Sigismundus went to Sweden, he wasn't invader.

Karl (later Karl IX) was a brother of Johan III. In 1598 he was only a chancellor. Nothing more. It should be also remembered that before Johan III's death, the king administered an oath to Swedish aristocracy which obliged them to resistance against Karl. I mean, if Karl had tried to reach Swedish throne, Swedish aristocracy was obliged to resistance.

Swedish propaganda? Not exactly. Both points of view exist in Sweden: that Sigismund was the legal king and Karl a rebel, as well as that Karl fought for Swedish interest against a foreign king that did not have the support of the Swedish population.  
It was a civil war yes, but also a foreign incursion. Sigismund's army consisted mostly of Polish troops, and he had plans to incorporate Sweden into the Catholic sphere (there were even plans to station a Spanish navy in lvsborg!), something which is definitely a hostile move - or treasonous, dependending on how you see it. Sigismund was widely disliked by the farmers, the church as well the Council and did not have support to rule the country. Sweden had only been a heriditary kingdom for about half a century, and the old customs were still alive: if a king is not fit, replace him. Thus, Karl's forces that annihilated Sigismunds army at Stngebro consisted mainly of volunteer farmers.

Further Karl was not "only a chancellor"; he was the son of Gustav Vasa and stllfretrdande konung, ie king-in-charge when Sigismund was absent.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 10:50
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Swedish propaganda? Not exactly. Both points of view exist in Sweden: that Sigismund was the legal king and Karl a rebel, as well as that Karl fought for Swedish interest against a foreign king that did not have the support of the Swedish population.  

Styrbiorn, both points of view are not contradictory. The Swedes can believe that Karl fought for Swedish interest, but it doesn't change the fact  that Sigismund was a legal king of Sweden.
Even if Sigismundus didn't have a support from a part of the Swedish population, he was a legal king of Sweden.
I only wonder why you call him 'foreign king'. Sigismund was the Swede. In 1598 he was heraditary king of Sweden and elected king of Poland. Did it make him a foreigner in his own country?

It was a civil war yes, but also a foreign incursion. Sigismund's army consisted mostly of Polish troops,

Batory's guard (Batory was the king of Poland before Sigismund) consisted mostly of Hungarians. Does it mean that Hungarians invaded Poland?
Sigismund went to Sweden with his private army - his guard. There weren't Polish (state) troops. There were mercenary soldiers.
Polish Sejm/Parliament permited Sigismund to leave Poland to regulate his buisness in Sweden. Polish Sejm didn't send Sigismund to a war.

and he had plans to incorporate Sweden into the Catholic sphere (there were even plans to station a Spanish navy in lvsborg!), something which is definitely a hostile move - or treasonous, dependending on how you see it. Sigismund was widely disliked by the farmers, the church as well the Council and did not have support to rule the country.

Sigismund's policy could be unpopular in Sweden, but he still was a legal king of Sweden. I don't know if there was a legal way to dethrone Sigismund. I suppose there wasn't. Even if there was a legal way to dethrone Sigismund, in the time of the battle of Stangebro, he still was a legal king of Sweden. People (even if they were volunteers) who fought against him were rebels. Therefore I don't agree with this Spartan's statement:

'Gustavus' father, king Karl (Charles) IX of Sweden, repulsed an incursion into Sweden by Sigismund III at Stangebro (near modern Linkoping) in 1598.'

Gustavus' father Karl, wasn't a king of Sweden in 1598 (and nobody doubts this).
Karl didn't 'repulse an incursion into Sweden by Sigismund III', because Sigismund didn't invade Sweden. He arrived in Sweden with his own mercenary army/his guard as a legal prevailing king of Sweden.

Edited by ataman - 01-Dec-2006 at 23:59
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 23:55

Spartan: Sigismund III desired to establish a permanent union between Sweden and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth,

my comment: Spartan, I am not certain if Sigismund has ever thought about a permanent union between Sweden and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Sigismund was most of all the Swede and the Catholic. AFAIK, he didn't plan to join Sweden and Poland. But by no means he wanted to increase Catholic influences in Sweden.

Spartan: but instead created hostilities which led to intermittent war between the 2 nations lasting until 1660. He was, however, unsuccessful when he invaded Livonia in 1600

my comment: I suppose that you mean Karl here?

Spartan:; his army was smashed by Jan Chodkiewicz's husaria at Kircholm in 1605, and another army helping the Muscovites under Jakob De la Gardie was defeated 10 years later at Kluchino.

my comment: Actually it was 5 years later (in 1610).

Anyway, in the meantime (I mean in the first decade of 17th c.) there was also a serie of battles won by the Lithuanians and Poles (here is a site which describes the war 1600-1609 http://www.jasinski.co.uk/wojna/battles/1600-Sw/1600-Sw-02.htm )

Spartan: But Sweden's power was rising in the Baltic, as her fleet appeared outside Danzig (modern Gdansk) and Riga, capturing and searching ships trading with these prominent ports. Because of Danzig's neutral status at this time, the Swedes were able to provision their troops in Livonia from there.

my comment: Really? I didn't know this.

Spartan: Aging and overwrought, Karl IX died in October, 1611, while war with Christian IV of Denmark, known as the War of Kalmar, which broke out the previous April, was looking inauspicious for Sweden. As a ruler, Karl IX, basically a practical man, was the link between his great father Gustavus Vasa and his even greater son.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 01:19

Spartan: At 16 years of age, Gustavus Adolphus inherited the wars his father began, and only by exerting himself to the utmost was he able to achieve peaceful settlements with Denmark (Treaty of Knarod, January, 1613) and Russia (Treaty of Stolbova, February, 1617). He had to restrict himself due to the terms involving indemnity with Denmark, but his treaty with Russia altogether shut out Muscovy from the Baltic, with its trade there being dependent on Sweden. It was clear that Gustavus would resolve to take up the struggle with the Poles in Livonia if necessary. The Sveriges Riksdag (Swedish Diet) consented to this in spite of financial difficulties.

Hostilies had already begun in 1617, though a truce had been formally agreed upon in 1613 and prolonged for 2 years the following year. The king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth,
Sigismund III , whose unfortunate and unwavering claims to the throne of Sweden (by birth he was united along the royal lines of the Vasa and Jagiello) would involve Poland in a whole series of unprofitable wars with Sweden spanning 6 decades, instructed his government to not renew the truce. The Swedes captured Pernau (modern Parnu), and by the autumn of 1618 Gustavus was willing to arrange an armistice, but Sigismund III rejected every proposal in that course, keeping unflinchingly to his claim to be acknowledged King of Sweden. Finally a truce was arranged on September 23, 1618, and Jan Chodkiewicz, who had conducted himself with such esteem on the Livonian front, was sent against the Ottoman threat from the south.

my comments: Spartan, you omited some important issues.

In July 1617 Polish and Swedish commissioners signed new armistice in Livonia for 10 years. The armistice was broken by the Swedes in the same month. They captured Dynemunt (it was on the 21th of July 1617), Windawa (on the 23th of July 1617), Parnawa/Pernau (on the 14th of August 1617) and Salis (on the 18th of August 1617).

Although Polish-Lithuanian armies were involved at 2 other fronts:

- the war in Russia (the expedition to Russia by Wladyslaw Waza. He wanted to recover tzar's throne)

- protection of southern Polish borders (fightings with Tartar incursions, demonstration of Ottoman forces at Busza in 1617 and fightings with Ottoman army at Orynin in 1618)

Lithuanian army commanded by Krzysztof Radziwill was able to recover all losses in Livonia except Parnawa.

New truce with the Swedes was signed on December 8, 1618.

Jan Karol Chodkiewicz couldn't command Lithuanian army in Livonia, because at that time he was with prince Wladyslaw in Russia.

Spartan: The great Polish hetman died in September, 1621, amid his successful entrenched defense against the Sultan Osman II's huge invading army at Khotyn (Chocim), in the Ukraine. During this time the rivalry between Gustavus and Sigismund III transposed into a very different and higher plane.

Another blow for the Poles was the death of Jan Zamoyski in 1605. It had been the firm conviction of this great szlachcic and magnate that Poland could not achieve any long term success against Sweden without a navy. But his efforts to prevail upon Danzig (modern Gdansk) to produce a fleet were in vain, as the neutral city didn't want to displease the Swedish sovereign at the time (among other reasons).

my comments: Here is some kind of misunderstanding. Gdansk belonged to Poland and (for example) paid taxes to Polish treasure. Polish (royal) fleet was build in Gdansk. Sailors of Polish fleet were from Gdansk etc. But cities (especially big ones) in those times in Poland had broad autonomies and many privileges. Gdansk was the biggest and the richest Polish city. Therefore it was a very important 'political player'. The wealth of Gdansk was depended on a trade. Polish Swedish war was a danger for the trade of Gdansk. Therefore as much as possible Gdansk tried to do everything to be neutral in this war. No sooner than the ending of 1626 had Gdansk understood that its neutral policy gave nothing and it clearly declared itself for Poland.

Spartan: After thorough preparations, Gustavus sailed for the mouth of the Dvina (Duna) in July, 1621 with 158 ships and about 24,000 men (some accounts say 19,000), took the fort commanding it, and opened the siege of Riga on August 13. Gustavus' army in 1621, was well-equipped, but not yet the disciplined force of a few years to come. He offered terms to the garrison before opening a bombardment. A belated relief army under Radziwill was attacked and beaten (Swedish sources say 10,000 men, Polish ones 3,000).

my question: Spartan, anybody
Can you write the description of that battle (between Radziwill and GA at Riga) the way the Swedes saw it? I must admit that I don't have a description of this battle yet. But I'll try to consult Radoslaw Sikora.

Edited by ataman - 03-Dec-2006 at 01:26
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 06:23

Spartan: After thorough preparations, Gustavus sailed for the mouth of the Dvina (Duna) in July, 1621 with 158 ships and about 24,000 men (some accounts say 19,000), took the fort commanding it, and opened the siege of Riga on August 13. Gustavus' army in 1621, was well-equipped, but not yet the disciplined force of a few years to come. He offered terms to the garrison before opening a bombardment. A belated relief army under Radziwill was attacked and beaten (Swedish sources say 10,000 men, Polish ones 3,000).

my comments: I've got from Radek scans from primary sources which describe Lithuanian version of the so called battle of Riga. Below is a summary.

The so called 'battle of Riga' on the 9-10th of September, 1621 (according to Gregorian calendar).

Situation before the battle:

The Sejm in 1620 decided that Radziwill's army in Livonia should have 3000 people. It was a theory. In practice, no sooner than on the16th of June 1621, had Radziwill begun to mobilise this army. He had very difficult task, because P-L Commonwealth had already mobilised huge army against Ottomans. There was simply a shortage of people who wanted to serve in an army.

According to Radziwill's letter to the king (dated on 29th of August, 1621) he had in the camp only 6 units of infantry and 150 horses of light (cossack) cavalry. He had already garrisoned: in Riga 200 reiters, in Dyament 150 reiters and in Kokenhauzen 50 cossack cavalrymen.

According to the Radziwill's instruction for Ditrzyk (dated on 14th of September, 1621) hetman expected new soldiers from Lithuania.

According to Radziwill's letter to the king (dated on 25th of September, 1621), he had in the field not more than 1500 soldiers.

So during the so called battle of Riga, Radziwill didn't have more than 1500 soldiers.

Before 'the battle of Riga', Radziwill knew from Swedish POW that Swedish army had 24.000-30.000 soldiers.

According to Piotr Kochlewski's diary (Kochlewski was Radziwill's secretary) on the 9th of September, Radziwill's 'komunik' (komunik = an army without wagons) approached to Riga. Radziwill's soldiers suprised some Swedish soldiers close to Riga and defeated them in the open field. Tens Swedish soldiers were killed, tens of them drowned in Dzwina river. Lithuanians imprisoned 1 Swedish captain (Abraham Isaac Rosenkranz) and 2 lieutenants.

The whole night between 9th and 10th September, the Lithuanian army stayed in the order close to Riga and waited for the Swedes. The Swedes didn't leave their fortified positions.

On the 10th of September, after the assault of Lithuanian army, Lithuanians returned to their camp, which was 2,5miles (meaning about 18km) from Riga.

Radziwill's instruction for Ditrzyk (dated on 14th of September, 1621), describes events of the 10th of September.

Radziwill explained that the whole expedition of Lithuanian army was only a reconnaissance of Swedish positions. Radziwill wanted to see Swedish camp and its position/fortifications. He wanted to take some POW, which could inform him about Swedish army. He also wanted to show citizens of Riga that they are not alone.

Radziwill also tried to provoke the Swedes to the open field fighting. Therefore he stormed one Swedish 'blokhaus' (earthwork) and withdrew. Unfortunately the Swedes didn't leave their fortified positions.

After that, having knowledge about Swedish camp and fortifications, having POW (which later were sent to the Polish king to inform him about Swedish army), Radziwill ordered to return to the camp. He also explained that he had an appointment with the prince of Courland and expected supports from Lithuania (some new units of cavalry).

So, according to these sources, Radziwill, knowing that the Swedes outnumbered him about 20 : 1, even didn't try to rescue Riga and didn't try to supply Riga (therefore Lithuanian wagons didn't leave the camp). Radziwill, having less than 1500 soldiers, only reconnaissanced Swedish army at Riga. He also tried to provoke Gustaw Adolf to open field fighting, but with no result, because the Swedes didn't leave their fortified positions.

After the reconnaissance, Radziwill returned to the camp to gather bigger army and to talk with the prince of Courland. The Swedes didn't chase him.

The so called battle of Riga was nothing more like small encounter, where the Swedes didn't attack.

Gustaw Adolf, having huge numerical superiority, didn't risk an open field fighting (although Lithuanians waited 2 days in the open field and although Radziwill provoked GA to the battle).

Edited by ataman - 04-Dec-2006 at 06:26
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 00:34

Spartan: The conquest of Riga meant there was no longer any possibility for Poland to establish herself as a Baltic power. Through Riga passed 1/3 of her exports.

my comments: Through Riga passed only 6.2% of P-L export. To comparison, through Gdansk passed 82% of P-L export.

Spartan: With it Gustavus gained political and strategic advantages and a base for equipping his fleet.

The east part of Livonia and the important town of Dorpat remained, however, in the Polish hands. In the autumn of 1622 both sides were again ready to accept an armistice. Gustavus was too eager for peace to grudge Sigismund III the title of King of Sweden, so long as he did not call himself Hereditary King. Kryztof Radziwill had advised Sigismund III to ask for an armistice, but, as usual, he hesitated to the very last. This gave Sweden's Chancellor, Axel Oxenstierna, an opportunity to seperate the interests of Poland and Lithuania, and to offer the latter peace and neutrality in the struggle between Sweden and Poland. This was the first Swedish attempt to drive a wedge between the two halves of the Polish-Lithuanian Monarchy. But the plan did not succeed, and Gustavus personally conducted the campaign in the summer of 1622. A battle was fought on August 3, 1622 at Mitawa against Radziwill. Initially, Swedish infantrymen, positioned in thickets with swampy ground between them and the Lithuanians, fired upon the enemy, refusing to come out in the open, a condition which Radziwill proposed. The Swedes overwhelmed the outnumbered haiduks (mercenary foot-soldiers of mostly Magyar stock) in an infantry clash. Some companies of husaria then displayed some recalcitrance, as there existed serious financial problems with the Lithuanian forces, which was more a private army than a state one at this time, which led to a lack of loyalty and morale amongst many. But 2 banners (some 400 husaria?) did charge and despite unfavorable ground, penetrated through with minimal loss. But the Swedes reinforced their positions which precluded the husaria from turning around.

My comment: More detailed description of the fighting in that day was written by Radoslaw Sikora in the group Zaglobastavern. Below is a quotation from Sikora's description. But I'd like to stress that the fightings on the 3rd of August, 1622 were only part of the battle of Mitawa 1622. I'll write more about that battle in my next message.

On August 3, 1622 in the vicinity of Courland's town of Mitawa/Mittau the armies of Krzysztof Radziwiłł and Gustavus Adolphus clashed. Vanguard of the Swedish army consisted of several (3 or 4) reiter cornets/companies. They placed themselves at the forest's edge, "in the thickets, past the swamps" in such manner so the Lithuanian horse could not attack them. In van of these reiters came two canons, "and they fired from them against our banners/companies but by God's grace without any harm." Then, the commander of the Lithuanian reiters, Jerzy Krzysztof Rożen, with the hetman's permission sent a trumpeter to the Swedish reiters, "challenging them to take to the field unless they were sons-of-the-bitches." Swedes did not show any interest in such presented proposition. Instead of awaited cavalry action "several companies of (enemy) infantry rushed out from the forest.". Hetman directed against them three rota/companies of haiduk infantry. The firefight raged between the infantries of both sides. "Very laud musket gunplay lasted for an entire hour, as in a regular battle it would not have been greater." There were some 20 haiduks killed (and fell into the enemy's hands) while wounded there were some 30 more. When the servants "that on a hillock were digging a trench (entrenchment), being afraid of the gunplay, started to flee with their spades," Swedes, "understanding that these were the soldiers who were fleeing, sent to their own a larger reinforcement, and in such manner more than 2000 Swedish infantrymen jumped our throats and onto the hillock pushed."

Radziwiłł turned then to the JK Rożen's reiter companies (those were three companies, on register numbering 500-horse strong but their real strength was merely 300 horses) "so they would aid the infantry," but they evasively "said that they had no field" (the ground was not suitable for cavalry) and " replied that winged hussars should rush first." Why they refused? Reiters were foreigners that fought for a profit and not out of patriotic call. The Lithuanian army had serious financial problems at that time and was seriously behind the pay for their soldiers. In face of serious numerical advantage held by the enemy, when the motivation to continue fighting was not strong enough, when the ground was not favorable, all that was enough that the reiters refused to execute command. In such circumstances hetman turned then to the Janusz Ulik Szweryn's hussaria (on the register this unit had 200 horses, the real strength of this unit is unknown). But they also refused to charge. Why? The sources known to us do not explain this. One thing is certain - there is no mention in the sources about any winged hussars' fear of the gunfire of the Swedish infantry. These source suggest that, when faced with numerically superior adversary (just Swedish infantry alone was supposed to be 2000-3000), and having the ground unsuitable for cavalry action and - what may be the most important - the winged hussars seeing that they would not be supported by the reiters (after all those already had refused to attack), then the morale of Szweryn's hussaria must have been weak. Their commander did not decide to charge under such conditions. Thus meeting with another refusal there, Radziwiłł then turned to the next reiter company - Henryk Szmeling (200 horses on the register). Yet and this reiter company refused to carry out the command.

This crisis, however, did not spread throughout the entire Lithuanian army. Unfortunately, "other [companies] albeit willing [to fight] their own places in the army's battle order had to guard, because the enemy horse with part of the infantry in the affair [battle order] stood fast, awaiting our confusion." In these circumstances, before the Lithuanian battle order regrouped, before those 'willing' companies arrived onto the field, the Swedes were able to take the hillock with the Lithuanian artillery pieces there.

Ultimately the Lithuanian hussaria charged those ( troops). There were found "two so righteous hussaria companies" that "while the ground was not for a hussar (undesirable for winged hussars)" yet "in the very fire of the enemy troops they rushed" and "great injury in them they caused." Those companies were: the Połock voivode Janusz Kiszka's company, on the register 200 hussars, and the referendarz of Grand Dutchy of Lithuania Aleksander Korwin Gosiewski's company, of the same register's number. This charge proved to be successful. Hussars, in spite that they were attacking on the ground not quite suitable for cavalry action, withstood the fire of more numerous infantry and passed through its lines, inflicting heavy causalities on the Swedes. It was not, however, the end of fighting. Winged hussar companies "having broken through and without reinforcement remaining, could not turn around." Swedes brought onto the battlefield additional infantry units, position them in the thickets and in the trenches (including the entrenchment dig out by the Lithuanian servants) and maintained their positions, because on such prepared infantry "the cavalry second time could not joust (strike)."

The very charge on the fire-spewing lines of the Swedish infantry cost our winged hussars 2 killed (Nakurski and Orwid) and unknown quantity of wounded, while "in the horses not a small injury they caused." The Swedes were supposed to have died "close to 500" on this day. Some of quoted number included that infantry, which had been under Lithuanian infantry fire before the hussaria's charge.

Edited by ataman - 05-Dec-2006 at 00:35
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 11:14

I've found some new information to the 'battle' of Riga. According to prof. Henryk Wisner's 'Rzeczpospolita Wazw' v. 2, p. 202, Radziwill had about 900 soldiers at 'the battle of Riga'. Wisner claims that Gustaw Adolf's army outnumbered Radziwill's one 20:1 and that Gustaw Adolf didn't decide to fight with Radziwill.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 03:20

Spartan, you might be also interested in these events:

1. October the 16th, 1621. Close to Mitawa

Krzysztof Radziwill, having less than 1900 soldiers (including 500 infantrymen), sent a 'starosta trojdeński' Benedykt Wahl to Gustavus with a official invitation to a battle. Gustavus, having 7350 infantry and 3000 cavalry (Radziwill thought that Gustavus had 15 000 soldiers), didn't decide to fight in the open field.

2. October the 25th, 1621. By the river Musza.

Krzysztof Radziwill, having 2171 soldiers (including 500 infantrymen), sent a trumpeter to Gustavus with a official invitation to a battle. Gustavus again didn't decide to fight in the open field.

3. November the 24th, 1621. Battle of Kropimojza.

Aleksander Gosiewski, having 500 cavalry, defeated the vanguard of Gustavus's army (the vanguard counted about 900 cavalrymen). The Lithuanians killed 280 and prisoned 20 Swedish soldiers. This Lithuanian victory stopped Gustavus's offensive action against Kokenhausen and Dyneburg/Daugavpils.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 12:37
This topic is already finished (at least by me :)). The explanation is here:

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 14:31
What a shame that Sparten gave up. It could have been very interesting discussion. Anyway, you did a good workThumbs Up
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 03:02
Originally posted by Majkes

Anyway, you did a good workThumbs Up

Thanks Smile.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 04:58
Alright, I see three specialists on the two commanders. So I must make this proposition for you:

Could you three work together (or two or one, if other's don't wish to do so) and write an article for the Mag about the differences of the two commanders and their skills as commanders?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by rider

Alright, I see three specialists on the two commanders.

Which ones Smile? If you think about me, I must explain that I am not a specialist. I am a fan of history, that's all.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 11:13
Well... that counts not.

I was talking of you Ataman, Sparten and Majkes. So, could you work together?
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 13:31
Sorry Rider, but between me and Ataman with Sparten there is too much diffrence in knowledge about the subject. They are just far more knowledgable than me in this subject so I don't think I could help them. ( I lost myself reading their discussion - some battles I even not heard of ). Considering they have a little bitLOL diffrent view on the subject it would be hard for them to cooperate I think. It would be graet if Ataman and Sparten would write an article about it.
I will have more time at the begining of january so I will be much more active on the forum.. Now I just jump here for a minute only.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by rider

Well... that counts not.

I was talking of you Ataman, Sparten and Majkes. So, could you work together?

I'm affraid that Spartan doesn't even have time to read my posts Wink

BTW of Livonian war 1620's. I've read recently about a very interesting battle of Poswol (September the 29th, 1625). 2 banners of Lithuanian hussars annihilated the elite of Swedish Reiters (Gustaw's Reiter guard + chosen the best Reiters from other reiter companies). Only 1 reiter was able to escape. The rest were killed or prisoned by hussars.

Edited by ataman - 31-Dec-2006 at 13:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>