Forum Discription: Topics on archaeology and anthropology
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14886
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 15:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: who are pomaks?
Posted By: pomak35
Subject: who are pomaks?
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 08:00

I wonder to know the origin of pomak people who are they? According to me there are two important data for pomaks. One of is they seem like slavic people(physically) one of is they speak a kind of slavic tongue but they have got turkish traditions and most of all are muslims. Lets discuss  meanwhile im a pomak Smile

Regards 

Replies:
Posted By: galvatron
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 08:12
i think pomak are bulgaria muslim .

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 09:07
hey do a search, this has been discussed before in this forum

-------------

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 09:59
There seem to be two historical definitions of  the word "pomak"

Definition 1-  Bulgarian Slavs who converted to Islam under Turkish rule.  Unlike Balkans, there were few converts in Bulgaria (approximently 50,000 today?)

Definition 2-  People of uncertain origins living in mountains on Greek  - Bulgarian border.  They are either a Turkish people who adopted some Christian cultural practices or a convert people who retained some Christian cultural practices after their conversion.

Posted By: Desimir
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 12:39
Pumaks are bulgarians converted to Islam.Even today most of the pumaks say that they are bulgarians.There is no doubt.

-------------

Posted By: Brainstorm
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 12:58
Pomaks are not Bulgarians.
Pomaks were Bulgarians
Pomaks are muslims.
Pomaks are Pomaks!

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 14:52
There is this theory, the 'official' greek theory, that they are descedants of ancient Agrianes, because they call themsleves 'Ahran'.
I think their culture is quite unique to fit them into categories as 'bulgarian' or 'turkish'

-------------

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.

Posted By: Anton
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 15:39

Wiki says:

The Agrianians ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek - Gk. Agrianes) were a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paionian - Paionian tribe, who chiefly inhabited an area north of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thracian - Thracian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maedi - Maedi .

They were crack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin - javelinmen and the elite unit of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great - Alexander's light infantry, who fought under the command of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attalus_%28general%29 - Attalus . They carried a bundle of javelins into battle and wore no armor, perhaps not even a shield. Alexander made heavy use of them: indeed, every time he dispatched a flying column the Agrianians were always included. They were supplied by the http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Client_king&action=edit - client king http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langarus - Langarus . They were expert fighters in mountainous terrain where the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx - phalanx was obsolete. Being the elite unit of the light infantry they often took their place with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypaspists - hypaspists battalion and the companion cavalry at the right wing of the army. At the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gaugamela - battle of Gaugamela their numerical strength was 1000.

Can somebody explain then why they speak clearly slavic languages? Just took a look on it, not that clearly but very close to Bulgarian anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 15:41
Originally posted by xristar

I think their culture is quite unique to fit them into categories as 'bulgarian' or 'turkish'

Well, it can be explained as sort of mix of Turkish and Bulgarian cultures.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by Brainstorm

Pomaks are not Bulgarians.Pomaks were BulgariansPomaks are muslims.Pomaks are Pomaks!

They are bulgarians.Just understand it once and for all.
May be Karakachans dont have bulgarian origin but pumaks are undoubtfully bulgarians who are muslims.But that doesnt mean that they are descendants of some ancient tribe.

-------------

Posted By: perikles
Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 06:42
There was a documanter some years ago about pomaks. They visit the pomaks villages and there was interviews of pomaks. They said that they are neither Tuskish, Bulgarians(Both tribes came to the region centuries after pomaks been there) but they are neither Greeks. They are pomaks. Now they onsider themselves Greeks because for many many yeas they live in Greece and have the Greek culture.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 06:53
Originally posted by perikles

Now they onsider themselves Greeks because for many many yeas they live in Greece and have the Greek culture.

Like that they are muslim for example? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 07:18
They are muslins. It is well known. They are the muslin minority in Thrace.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 07:24
So, what makes their culture greek?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 07:50
They go to greek schools. They watch greek tv. They read greek books and greek newspaper. They listen to greek music, they speak, read and write greek. And of course they deal with Greeks all the time, they mary greeks. The only difference s their religion. If you think that is determines the culture then Greeks, Bulgarians, Russians, Serbians we would have the same culture. Please think before you write something like that.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 08:09
It seems that greeks dont know nothing about pumaks.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 08:35
yes. We wait the BUlgarians to teach us. Please be my guest

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 08:52
well they are what they want to be called.

why cant a greek be muslim anton? or is the culture diferent from one side of the aegean to the other?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 09:10

They go to greek schools. They watch greek tv. They read greek books and greek newspaper. They listen to greek music, they speak, read and write greek. And of course they deal with Greeks all the time, they mary greeks. The only difference s their religion. If you think that is determines the culture then Greeks, Bulgarians, Russians, Serbians we would have the same culture. Please think before you write something like that.

Pericles, usually I tend to think what am I writing. How about you? You said they are greek in culture. So, please show us womething frompomak culture that is common with Greeks, but not Turks and Bulgarians?  

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 09:14

Originally posted by Leonidas

well they are what they want to be called.

why cant a greek be muslim anton? or is the culture diferent from one side of the aegean to the other?

Leonidas, Greek can be muslim. Why not? What I am against is generalization. And what I did, I just pointed things that differs pomak culture from Greek culture -- they are muslims and they speak slavic language (very close to Bulgarian). Many other aspects of Balkan cultures apart from language and religion are very common in balkan nations. See for example music, couisine, celebrations (which depend very much on religion BTW), customs, etc. So, one should be very carefull speaking about cultures.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 09:20

we make cross examination pomaks have got slavic specialities ! what a rubbish assertion! pomaks are not greek!!!  we interrogate slavs and islam

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 10:07
You confused me.What do you mean that pomaks are greek and slavic mix?
You are pomak but you live in Tukey right?
What do you think about pomaks. If you are pomak form what village you come from?

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 11:34

im sure that pomaks havent got greek specialities. i feel my self half bulgarian and half turkish. race=as like as slavic, religion=as like as turkish. My family are from ''PLOVDIV" im 4th generation in turkey and still i use pomak tongue as my second language at least between my family. I see many turkish words in pomak tongue on greek based websites about pomaks. For example counting numbers as like as turkish bu we never use turkish counting numbers and more like that in real pomak tongue. I have got a claim that pomaks who live in greece are generally mix with turks source of turkish word usage belongs to this mixture(pomak-turk) But pomaks in bulgaria are pure than greece.

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 18:03
Yes,teach them a lesson.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 15:08
It is quiet funny ,how some people understand nationality.

Posted By: Sirona
Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 02:28
Culture is also something gained. Pomaks, a small group in Greece, living here for a long time, would have eventually gained the Greek culture and start identifying as Greek. Just think of the Bosnians who immigrated to Turkey and after a generation or two started identifying as Turkish -many groups in Turkey identify as Turkish after a few generations, if their religion is not a minority religion. As for their background, I don't think anyone was asserting that they have a Greek background.

From what I know, Pomaks are descended from the Thracian tribes, and are autoctonous to the region. They, no doubt mixed with the Bulgarians, and the majority of them live in Bulgaria today. No doubt they also mixed with Turks and Greeks. There is Pomaks or Pomak descendents living in Turkey today as well.

Especially with the new style of life, ie. greater communication between groups compared to a hundred years ago, it's hard for any group to completely keep their identity -what I mean is, these minority groups no longer live isolated in their villages and mix with the majority population much more.

The other issue is nationality. Don't mix nationality with ethnicity. A Greek citizen, is a Greek national, Orthodox, Catholic, Muslim or Atheist; just as a Bulgarian citizen is a Bulgarian national regardless or religion.

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 06:53
All ethnoses in Balkans are descendants of authochtonic population, not only pomaks.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 07:26
Well, I thought the Slavs came to the Balkans around 6th century and the Bulgars around that time, too (though their raids started earlier)? The proto-Bulgars were from Central Asia and the Slavs from Eastern Europe (more NE than the Balkans) The earlier populations (as tribes go) seem to be Peonians, Illyrians, Thracians, etc. The Celts also had settled in the Balkans (especially around Dobrudja, also what is now Serbia and Croatia) but they disappeared as a seperate group, mixing with the other tribes.

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 07:48

Yes, you are right more or less. except maybe that Bulgars came from Central Asia -- /this is challenged nowadays (the most far East Bulgarian settlement is known to be in Caucassus).

But present Slavic nations are not composed only by Slavs but by Thracians as well. These data were supported by genetical and cultural anthropology data. And Thracians did not disappear or assimilated by Greeks and Romans as some believe since they are  frequently mentioned by Byzantium authors (see for example Procopius, The Gotic war) as nations with their language. They even specify some of those nations -- like Bessi (Procopius, Theophanus). Jordanes knew bessic language in VI century and Antoninus Placentinus mentioned it 570 year, when Slavs were already settled. The fact that they didn't immigrate to Byzantium as some people claim but instead continued to live with slavs, especially after Bulgaria became Christian.This is mentioned in Ducla's Chronicle. And finally, if pomaks are descendatns of Thracians, why shouldn't other slavs be? The major difference between pomaks and Bulgarians is that pomaks are muslims. Language, customs, songs, dances, mythology etc. are very cimilar. And these customs, songs, dances, mythology and, maybe, partially language was inherited at least in part by pomaks as well as other slavic nations.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 08:04
Of course I agree with you, all nations in the Balkans are a mixture of these groups, both the autochonous tribes and the Slavs, Bulgars and others who came later in great numbers (even Scythians and Sarmatians in some areas -but they are so remote now) I just mentioned the Thracian connection with the Pomaks because I remember reading about it that Pomaks consider themselves the descendants of the ancient Thracians. In reality, I don't think they are any different than Christian Bulgarians all that much. The only difference might have been that because they more or less lived as a closer society (both due to geography (mountainous area) and religion) they might have kept more to themselves. Though, I know that there are many intermarriages between Pomaks and Christians, both in Bulgaria and Greece and I remember hearing from some Bulgarian friends that Pomaks in Bulgaria are considered no less Bulgarian.

Thanks for the sources, by the way. :)

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 08:08

We can ask pomak35 about this. If he stops loughing at us and be so kind to share with us some information about his ethnos (nation, group -- whatever) it will be interesting for many people here. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 08:44
Pomak35 is making propaganda. As you said he is laughing at us. I asked him his opinion and saying again for turks. Pomaks with turks are absolutely no relation. I mean Ottomans made a lot of nations mixed up. There is a connection but not the way he describes it.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 15:54
Who are you to tell a "Pomak" that he's not what he is. Accept people for what they are not what you want them to be. If he said Pomaks were Greeks you'd try and promote this because he said there closer to Turks you try to denounce him, its pathetic.

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Posted By: Patrinos
Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 18:27
I have seen some Pomaks here in Greece,and discussed with them. They do not have a ethnicity. Maybe we don't understand it well but this is true, They see themselves as toys of the three neighboring countries.Their ethnicity is the islam.They want to preserve their languaga(slavic) and they are complaining for the turkish efforts to make them turcophones. As for their physical appearance,they look too slavic and are easily distinguished by their greek and turk neighboors.

Date Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 02:52
i am ot denouncing anyone. I said that Pomaks are no Turkish origin neither Greek origin. I don't know what they are but it is for sure that they are not Turks or Greeks. They live in Greece, they are educating with greek system, they speak greek(along with pomaks). So what is the reason you acccusing me?

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 06:56
I agree. That is, the Pomaks who live in Greece are legally "Greek" -not ethnically, as a nationality. Same thing for the Pomaks who live in Bulgaria and Turkey. As for how they identify ethnically or historically, I think that depends on the individual. Some would identify Pomak, some would identify within the host nation, some a more generic "Balkanian". Though, I do know that at least some Pomaks in Bulgaria identify as Muslim Bulgarians. Might very well be the case for those in Greece, though I do remember reading that (in a text for class, I'll try to dig up where exactly), with the support of the United States and in fact, the okay of Greece, the Pomaks were held subject to Turkifying propaganda during the Cold War, so that they wouldn't identify as "Communist" Bulgarians. Identifying as Turkish would be even easier as there would be no difference in religion, once the language barrier was overcome. 

Date Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 09:49
i dont make propoganda. i wonder to know my origin so we have got two data as a matter of fact i designate them. One of is slavic one of is islam. we dont make politic discussion.  i had laughed to "descedants of ancient Agrianes" greece official theory also for turkish and bulgarian official theories. i dont believe all because this subject havent got  basic definition as like as official therories or official definitions.

Date Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 11:08
I can't understand why you have to be either Slaivc, Greek or Turkish. You are pomak. Greeks have no origin. They are Greeks. Turkish also. I am not follow. i mean both slavs and turks came to the area centuries after Pomaks were there. Maybe i am wrong. As i said i am not familiar with pomaks very well but i know that they were living in Thrace and todays southern Bulgaria before slavs and Turks. So... maybe i am wrong.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Posted By: nikodemos
Date Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 13:44
Actually pomaks are pomaks.Plain and simple.Smile
Their origin is obscure and there is no evidence in order to assert that they originate from this population or the other.
There are two theories which lack however solid evidence about their origins:
1.They are descendants of Bulgarian heretics,of the Bogomils, who converted to Islam after the turkish conquest of the Balkans
2.They are descendants of semi-slavicised,semi-christianised pechenegs and Cumans who had been settled in Rodope by the Byzantine authorities so as to guard the mountainous passages of Rodope.Later they adoptd the islamic faith when the ottomans came to the Balkans.

Posted By: Arbër Z
Date Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 14:35
Originally posted by Patrinos

I have seen some Pomaks here in Greece,and discussed with them. They do not have a ethnicity. Maybe we don't understand it well but this is true, They see themselves as toys of the three neighboring countries.Their ethnicity is the islam.They want to preserve their languaga(slavic) and they are complaining for the turkish efforts to make them turcophones. As for their physical appearance,they look too slavic and are easily distinguished by their greek and turk neighboors.

I am sure you didnt think much before posting this. Firstly you say that they dont have an ethnicity (and this is strangeConfusedConfused). And then you try to explain what their ethnicity is...by restricting it to the religion. Ethnos is not only religion.

Regarding the physical appearence, are you sure that you can distinguish easily the greeks from their neighbours. Shall i test you, I have two pictures of a seminary in Athens. Participants were representatives from all the balkan countries, and they met the former-president Stefanopoulos in the palace Maximo. I was there too, and I know everyone of my friends and colleagues. So lets see if you can tell me who are the albanians, who the turks, who the serbians, who the macedonians, who the bulgarians, who the romanians and who are the greeks at the end. I believe it will be easy for you, there were three representatives from each country, while Greece as the organizer had 7 participants. Shall I post that picture and see if you can get it right. Myself I find it impossible to tell who is who from the physical appearence...at least in the balkans

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 05:05
at 90% we can distinguish the Albanians and the Romanians. The Bulgars are tougher to be distinguished. The Turks if are coming for Asia minor are looks like Greek more or less. If the are living in eastern Turkey is very easy to be distinguished. The Serbs can be distinguuished from Greeks.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 05:09
Macedonians are easy to be distinguish. They are like the rest of Greeks. No mater if they live in Thesaloniki , Kavala or Chalkidiki, Drama, Florina,Kilkis or Edessa. For which territory ou refering?
And also the people living in Greek side of Albania(Southern Albania) are look like Greeks.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 06:38
according to me language is more rational criteria than physical appearence...But we have got both of them language and physical appearence and also many slavic traditions as like as "prestilka" and "sabor"

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 07:50

Arber I suppose as a Balkanian you know some local history. Why does the fact of not having a clear ethnic identity seem strange to you, haven't you ever heard about the slavic-speaking population in  today Fyrom in the early 20th century and later? I've heard from a Pomak answering to a question about his ethnicity to say that i'm neither bulgarian,nor greek nor turk and that his ethicity is islam and it depends on who give them the most. Pomaks are very tall,blond,blue-eyed,whiteskined and the majority of Greeks aren't.

As for the issue if we can distinguish a foreigner,yes i think that there are many differences between the physical appearences of the Balkanians. I think that we can distinguish an Albanian from miles away and every Greek here can confirm it. The majority of the Greeks and the majority of the Albanians are easily distinguishable, but there are persons that can be found in all Balkans. If you want we can make a topic to discuss it thoroughly.
Send me the photo in PMWink

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 12:33

Arber I suppose as a Balkanian you know some local history. Why does the fact of not having a clear ethnic identity seem strange to you, haven't you ever heard about the slavic-speaking population in  today Fyrom in the early 20th century and later? I've heard from a Pomak answering to a question about his ethnicity to say that i'm neither bulgarian,nor greek nor turk and that his ethicity is islam and it depends on who give them the most. Pomaks are very tall,blond,blue-eyed,whiteskined and the majority of Greeks aren't.

As for the issue if we can distinguish a foreigner,yes i think that there are many differences between the physical appearences of the Balkanians. I think that we can distinguish an Albanian from miles away and every Greek here can confirm it. The majority of the Greeks and the majority of the Albanians are easily distinguishable, but there are persons that can be found in all Balkans. If you want we can make a topic to discuss it thoroughly.
Send me the photo in PMWink

Patrinos, I saw your picture in the "post your picture thread", and I can guarantee that in Albania, in Serbia, in Bosnia, in Montenegro, in Kosova, in FYRoMacedonia, in Romania, in Bulgaria, in Spain, in Italy and perhaps even somewhere else I can find many people looking like you..I ll post the pic in a new thread, lets see how able you will be distinguishing the nationalities...
How can you distinguish an albanian?
How can you distinguish a greek?

Regarding the pomaks, they certainly have an ethnic culture, and this has nothing to do with their physical appearence. There are some elements of which we define ethnic culture, such as language, costumes, traditions, suits, music, and sometimes religion. They might not feel turkish, greek or bulgarian, but this doesnt mean that they have no ethnic identity pof their own. IMO they are muslim bulgarians, but at the end its on them to decide...

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:09

Arber because you asked i'll sayaccording to my opinion how do the two nations can be distinguished.

Of course I speak about the majority:
Greeks: The Greeks are in high percentage brown to dark brown haired, with a very high frequency of brown eyes. The blonds I think reach about 5% and they are not as blond as the Germans and Russians are. Their skin is not so light as our northern neighbors and not as dark as our south neighbors by sea in the south-east(middle-east,north africa). The main difference espesially with Albanians is that we have a majority of mediterranean types and alpine types(espesially in Epirus) and the dinaric type isn't missing among Greeks. Also Greeks have a higher percentage of curly hair.
Albanians: Albanians have a majority of dinaric types,with nordic,mediterranean and alpine types(south Albania) in a smaller percentage.Their skin is lighter than Greeks' and  they don't grow facial and body hair in big percentage as Greeks. Albanians are taller in average and they have a bigger percentage of blonds and blue-eyed individuals.

I think any Greek here can confirm what i said. I agree that ethnic identity cannot be based on physical appearence and anything about races and staff are only for historic interest.

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:28
Patrinos, I think you have a point, but don't you think people generally get quite light as you go north in Greece itself? I think, generally speaking, Macedonians (I mean like Thessaloniki) and Thracians are quite lighter compared to Peloponnesians, for example. 

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:47
First the majority of the Greeks in Macedonia have Minor Asian or Pontian origin.
You may be right that there can be found lighter people in Macedonia in bigger extent in comparison with the south(where I live) but in my opinion(as I've seen myself of course) the ligth percentage is very lower than our northern neighbors. A mixing in the north Greece is logical due to the history of the area but in a low extent.You can also add that in southern Greece the sunny days are about 280 per year.

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:59

First the majority of the Greeks in Macedonia have Minor Asian or Pontian origin.
You may be right that there can be found lighter people in Macedonia in bigger extent in comparison with the south(where I live) but in my opinion(as I've seen myself of course) the ligth percentage is very lower than our northern neighbors. A mixing in the north Greece is logical due to the history of the area but in a low extent.You can also add that in southern Greece the sunny days are about 280 per year.

Well, i dont think you are right (excuse me). I have visited Greece, fortunately, and I can tell that I didnt find a specific common appearence. They were all differing. Of course they could be distinguished in a wider sense, they are mediterranean, and they are a bit different from center-europeans, and slightly more from the northerners.
Did you see my picture in the Post your Pic (page 45 or 46)?

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 14:52
I didn't say that I took a measure and started measure all macedonian heads to find out their cephalic indexSmile.But i think that the blonds are in a very higher percentage in our northern neighbors(and in Pomaks) in contrast with us but i can say that Albanians have smaller percentage in blondism from Fyromians and Bulgarians(they are the sameBig smile).I think that Albanians Labs are very blond compared to the surrounding Tosks and Greeks,am I right?
Don't you agree with tthe "stereotypes" of the two nations? Where do you disagree? As I said Greeks are mainly a combination of meds and Alpines but blondism isn't totaly because of the slavs but it is known that there were blond and among ancient Greeks.
You can be in he ten % that we can not distinguish. I think that you have both dinaric and mediterranean elements with the second strongest. Do you descend from coastal Albania?

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 15:24

I didn't say that I took a measure and started measure all macedonian heads to find out their cephalic indexSmile.But i think that the blonds are in a very higher percentage in our northern neighbors(and in Pomaks) in contrast with us but i can say that Albanians have smaller percentage in blondism from Fyromians and Bulgarians(they are the sameBig smile).I think that Albanians Labs are very blond compared to the surrounding Tosks and Greeks,am I right?
Don't you agree with tthe "stereotypes" of the two nations? Where do you disagree? As I said Greeks are mainly a combination of meds and Alpines but blondism isn't totaly because of the slavs but it is known that there were blond and among ancient Greeks.
You can be in he ten % that we can not distinguish. I think that you have both dinaric and mediterranean elements with the second strongest. Do you descend from coastal Albania?

Man, I am originary from the region near the city of Berat, in southern Albania, or near the mount Tomor (ancient Tomaron). In my family you can find blonds and brunes(if I can use these terms). My father has green eyes, my gr.father blue eyes, my uncle brown eyes etc. I dont think that greeks, albanians, italians, southernslavians etc differ very much...anyway thats just an opinion.
But all this is off topic, lets focus on Pomaks, and in their identity...

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 05:33
So you live in Southern Albania. That makes you Greek. According to your assumptions. Good mate.

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 05:56
Does anyone know when the name Pomak first used?

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 11:45

So you live in Southern Albania. That makes you Greek. According to your assumptions. Good mate.

Man, how serious can you be? In another thread you wrote that greece has no claims on other countries, while albania & co claim everything from greece?
Please stick to the normal logic of every human, where did I assumpt myself to be a Greek????
And stop believing (wrongly) that southern albania is inhabitated only by greeks, we could say that there is a greek minority living there, but dont post gibberish...

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 11:59
Arber why you got so angry. Perikles just noticed that you don't ressemble the majority of the albanians we see and you are very mediterranean.

Posted By: nikodemos
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 13:47
Originally posted by Arbër Z

Regarding the pomaks, they certainly have an ethnic culture, and this has nothing to do with their physical appearence. There are some elements of which we define ethnic culture, such as language, costumes, traditions, suits, music, and sometimes religion. They might not feel turkish, greek or bulgarian, but this doesnt mean that they have no ethnic identity pof their own. IMO they are muslim bulgarians, but at the end its on them to decide...

It is better to say that their ancestors were probably muslim bulgarians.But now they have their own cultural identity,they are Pomaks,not muslim bulgarians.They are a unique ethnicity,different from the turks,the Greeks and the Bulgarians

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 13:55
Why is so hard to swallow that Pomaks are Pomaks?
Some people here tend to oversimplify everything .
It seems like the think that God came once down on Earth and created Nations. :Bulgarians,Turks,English,French etc...

Nations are living organisation, they are being formed ,reformed by common memories and common customs of their people, organized by the "nation's leaders and scholars" ,being born ,and die.

The ancestors of the Pomaks maye were Bulgarians-the ancestors of them may were Slav peasants,or ancient people of the Balcans...and it goes upper till an ancestor who walked on 4.Smile

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 14:43

Arber why you got so angry. Perikles just noticed that you don't ressemble the majority of the albanians we see and you are very mediterranean.

Patrinos, I didnt get angry, and for me it is not an offence if somebody says that I look like a greek (actually I am saying that these people do not have any racial or physical differences or whatever). But believe me, I am not different from the albanians in Tirana, Gjirokastra, Korca, Vlora, Shkodra, Berati, Gjakova, Prizreni, or Shkupi. And its the same regarding those albanians which live in athens, they are not different (physically). The only difference that you probably found is that those emmigrants are not very wealthy, and they cannot wear the same, or frequent the same places. And they also have to work hard all day. But physically, culturaly etc, they are balcanic in every sense. Of course that a greek is different from an albanian, but not in the appearence, they differ in their ethnical culture, in some traditions, as well as in the language.

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Posted By: GoldenBlood
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 17:31
Greek race from famous C.S. Coon

http://dienekes.angeltowns.net/texts/coongreeks/

-------------
Kosova dhe Ilirida, pjese te Dardanise

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 17:57
GoldenBloodLOL why did you quote that link to tease me. From your nickname its obvious that you have some thing racist in mind. Did you bothered from the fact that the majority of the albanians differ from the majority of the Greeks?
Read your link carefully you missed the most important part: 3rd paragraph : "It is inaccurate to say that the modern Greeks are different physically from the ancient Greeks"
I suppose if you have read that sentence you wouldn't send it.Clap

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 10:38
hi!!
I have noticed the topics new. I am very interested at this topics. I think the pomaks are turks(which came from central Asia like Bulgarians and Hungarians etc. and pomaks havent changed their identities like them. pomaks only have changes at language) But pomaks cannot be Greeks. I think they only live at border of the Greece.

Finally I want to said POMAKS ARE TURKS maybe its latest mesage of this topics(I dont say this sentence as a propaganda) I have made detailed search and I want to share with you

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 10:52
thanks for your contribution, i cant wait to your detailed search.

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Afsar Beghi
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 12:17
me too.. sounds interesting

-------------
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice koç yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen ölür kalan sağlar bizimdir!

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 12:32
Bah, I heard some theory that say Bosniaks are Turks..

Okey We love them, but I dont think we should make them Turks.

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 18:07
No body here claimed that Pomaks are Greeks. They are greek citisens, they speak and greek,but their mother language is a bulgarian  dialect. They are just Pomaks, and angry with the propaganda on  from all the involved countries.

PS: At last deside how whre physically the original Turks who came to Europe in different waves? Slavlooking(Pomaks) or Turanids (mainly among Konya Turks)

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 11:06
We know that proto-bulgarians had been from central asia like their turkish tribes. Ok than pomaks are turk tribe but just we cant say bulgarians are turk so they have got different region, different tongue and different appearence which make them slavic as like as pomaks. We all accept that  pomaks have got more pure slavic specialities than bulgarians. Answer of this topic hide in ukranian history so many people say that pomaks have been in ukrania for 300-400 years

Posted By: The Chargemaster
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 11:15
The truth about the pomaks:

The British specialist in Balkan minority-studies Hugh Poulton writes: 'The Bulgarian Muslims (i.e. the Pomaks) are a religious minority. They are Slavic Bulgarians who speak Bulgarian as their mother tongue, but whose religion and customs are Islamic.' (Poulton 1994:111)

Read the full text here: http://www-gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at/csbsc/ulf/pomak_identities.htm - http://www-gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at/csbsc/ulf/pomak_identities.h tm

It is important to be marked the fact, that THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the pomak - bulgarians and the other bulgarians is their religion. In the old historical sources are preserved many pieces of information about the time and the methods of the forcible coversion to mohammedanism of these AUTHENTIC BULGARIANS.

The older pomaks call the christian bulgarians "kaur" which comes from Turkish "gâvur" (infidel). In Pomak dialects there is no word for "Bulgarian". So - those people don't have a sense of ethnic, but just religious difference with christian bulgarians.

Pomaks--a term that loosely translates as collaborators- -were the descendants of ethnic Bulgarians who accepted the Islamic faith during Ottoman rule, mostly between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries. In 1990 about 150,000 Pomaks lived in mountain villages in southern and southwestern Bulgaria. They were chiefly employed in agriculture, forestry, and mining. Because of their relative isolation in the mountains, the Pomaks did not become mixed with the Turks during the turkish rule, and because of that, one big part of them were not assimilated from the turks, and they retained their bulgarian physical features. Because the Ottoman Turks showed little interest in Pomak lands, and because the Pomaks were converted rather late, most of their traditional Bulgarian customs remained intact. Thus, for example, the Pomaks never learned to speak Turkish.

AND MORE(IN ENGLISH):

The covercion to mohammedanism was not only "with sword". The other factor "was the economic pressure and the temptation of privileges and tax reductions received for adopting Islam" - this is one characteristic feature of the Turkish Empire.

Read more here: http://www.coronetbooks.com/books/moha8413.htm - http://www.coronetbooks.com/books/moha8413.htm

Also read this:

Muslim Bulgarians

See also
  • http://www.thinkexist.com/ - Phrases and Sayings

Muslim Bulgarians (also Bulgarian Mohammedans, http://www.biography.ms/Bulgarian_language.html - bul: Áúëãàðè-ìîõàìåäàíè; local: Pomak, Ahrian, Poganets, Marvak, Poturnak) are descendants of Christian http://bulgarians.biography.ms/ - Bulgarians who were forcibly converted to http://islam.biography.ms/ - Islam by the Turks, during the http://www.biography.ms/16th_century.html - 16th and the http://www.biography.ms/18th_century.html - 18th century . The word pomak is derived from Bulgarian dialectal pomaka (torture) and pomacen (tortured). Those who accepted Islam voluntarily are called Poturnak, meaning "One who turned into a Turk".

Muslim Bulgarians live mostly in the http://rhodopes.biography.ms/ - Rhodopes – the http://www.biography.ms/Smolyan_%28region%29.html - Smolyan region , the Southern part of the http://www.biography.ms/Pazardzhik_%28region%29.html - Pazardzhik and http://www.biography.ms/Kurdzhali_%28region%29.html - Kurdzhali regions and the Western part of the http://blagoevgrad.biography.ms/ - Blagoevgrad region in Southern http://bulgaria.biography.ms/ - Bulgaria and the http://xanthi.biography.ms/ - Xanthi and http://rhodope.biography.ms/ - Rhodope provinces in Northeastern http://greece.biography.ms/ - Greece . They also live in a group of villages in the http://www.biography.ms/Lovech_%28region%29.html - Lovech region in Northern http://bulgaria.biography.ms/ - Bulgaria .

Muslim Bulgarians speak a variety of archaic http://www.biography.ms/Bulgarian_language.html - Bulgarian dialects. Under the influence of mass media and school education, the dialects have been almost completely unified with standard http://www.biography.ms/Bulgarian_language.html - Bulgarian among Muslim Bulgarians living in http://bulgaria.biography.ms/ - Bulgaria . As http://greece.biography.ms/ - Greece has tended to regard its http://muslim.biography.ms/ - Muslim minority as only http://www.biography.ms/Turkish_language.html - Turkish -speaking and has allowed only education in http://www.biography.ms/Turkish_language.html - Turkish , the Muslim Bulgarian community in http://greece.biography.ms/ - Greece has become largely bilingual and the mother tongue of some of its members now is http://www.biography.ms/Turkish_language.html - Turkish . The spoken language of those members of the community who have preserved the dialect as their mother tongue has been influenced to a large extent by http://www.biography.ms/Turkish_language.html - Turkish and http://www.biography.ms/Greek_language.html - Greek and shows many aberrations from formal http://bulgarian.biography.ms/ - Bulgarian .

Pomaks in http://bulgaria.biography.ms/ - Bulgaria do not represent a homogenous community. Pomaks living in the eastern part of the http://rhodopes.biography.ms/ - Rhodopes tend to be non-practising http://muslims.biography.ms/ - Muslims and usually have Christian names. A large number of them, especially those living in the municipalities of Zlatograd, Nedelino, Krumovgrad, and Kirkovo, converted to http://christianity.biography.ms/ - Christianity in the http://www.biography.ms/1990.html - 1990s . Pomaks in the western part of the http://rhodopes.biography.ms/ - Rhodopes are, on the hand, strongly religious and have preserved the http://muslim.biography.ms/ - Muslim name system, customs and clothing. Whereas the majority of the Pomak community has identified itself as http://bulgarian.biography.ms/ - Bulgarian in the population censuses in http://www.biography.ms/1992.html - 1992 and http://www.biography.ms/2001.html - 2001 , a certain minority in the western http://rhodopes.biography.ms/ - Rhodopes has opted for http://www.biography.ms/Turkic_peoples.html - Turkish ethnicity although its mother tongue is also http://www.biography.ms/Bulgarian_language.html - Bulgarian . The name ‘Pomak’ is strongly pejorative in http://www.biography.ms/Bulgarian_language.html - Bulgarian and is resented by most members of the community, especially by non-practising http://muslims.biography.ms/ - Muslims . The name adopted and used instead is Bulgarian Mohammedans (Muslim Bulgarians).

The Muslim Bulgarian community in http://greece.biography.ms/ - Greece has been largely Turkified. Since the http://www.biography.ms/1990.html - 1990s http://greece.biography.ms/ - Greece has made tentative attempts to promote a separate "Pomak" identity, partly because of the advanced Turkification of the non-Turkish members of its http://muslim.biography.ms/ - Muslim minority (Muslim Bulgarians and http://roma.biography.ms/ - Roma ) and partly for fear of the growing percentage of http://muslims.biography.ms/ - Muslims in http://thrace.biography.ms/ - Thrace in the past couple of decennia. A http://www.biography.ms/Greek_language.html - Greek -Pomak dictionary has been issued and Muslim Bulgarians have frequently been described by Greek authorities as "an amalgamation of http://bulgarians.biography.ms/ - Bulgarians , http://greeks.biography.ms/ - Greeks and http://turks.biography.ms/ - Turks " or even as "Muslim Slavophone Greeks".

There is also a substantial Muslim Bulgarian community in http://turkey.biography.ms/ - Turkey , estimated at some 120,000 people. These are not recognized by the Turkish government as an http://www.biography.ms/Ethnic_group.html - ethnic minority and have been largely Turkified. Some of them have http://www.biography.ms/Turkic_peoples.html - Turkish or distinctive "Pomak" self-consciousness.

Source: http://pomaks.biography.ms/ - http://pomaks.biography.ms/

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 11:27
Originally posted by pomak35

so many people say that pomaks have been in ukrania for 300-400 years

That`s right. Thumbs Up
Before the slavic invasion in the Balkans (VI - VII century), the slavic tribes who colonized in the eastern and central part of the Balkan peninsula, were living in the territory of today`s Ukraine & Romania.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 06:46

I am so sorry Ihave problem with my pc Icant join the forum:

Ithink the truths:
1. INTRODUCTION:

Pomak Turks, an inseperable part of Turks, mostly live in Bulgaria and some of them live in the "forbidden zone" on Rodop Mountains in West Thrace.

Pomak Turks, whom Bulgarians wanted to assimilate by massacres are face to face with the same plans of Greeks in Western Thrace since 1960.

In the Balkans especially between 1877-78, this Turkish tribe experienced severe cruelity by Russians and Bulgarians. They are the dynamic factor of the Turkish minority in Bulgaria and West Thrace.

Bulgarians claim that Pomak Turks are "Moslem Bulgarians" and Greeks claim that they are "Moslem Greeks", actually they are from the Kuman-Kıpçak Turkish Tribe who came from North to the region. (2)

They could not been destroyed although they had fell into soverignity of Bulgarians and Byzantians for a while.

The name "Pomak" means "the helper" and was given by Slavs to this tribe.

Bulgarians used the name insultingly to mean "the helper of Ottomans"

According to Greeks, Pomaks are the sons of Alexander the Great and had been forced to become Moslems by Greeks. These arguments are far from reality.

Interstingly the name "Pomak" was extensivley used in XIX. century at the same time with the emergence of the term "Kurd" and "Armenian Problem". This was not a coinicidence, but used deliberatley to seperate Turkish Nation and Ottoman Empire..

http://www.middleeastinfo.org/forum/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=85&t=5523 - http://www.middleeastinfo.org/forum/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=85&t=5523

Posted By: Antioxos
Date Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 07:17
Originally posted by aysa

Ithink the truths:
1. INTRODUCTION:

Pomak Turks, an inseperable part of Turks, mostly live in Bulgaria and some of them live in the "forbidden zone" on Rodop Mountains in West Thrace.

Pomak Turks, whom Bulgarians wanted to assimilate by massacres are face to face with the same plans of Greeks in Western Thrace since 1960.

In the Balkans especially between 1877-78, this Turkish tribe experienced severe cruelity by Russians and Bulgarians. They are the dynamic factor of the Turkish minority in Bulgaria and West Thrace.

Bulgarians claim that Pomak Turks are "Moslem Bulgarians" and Greeks claim that they are "Moslem Greeks", actually they are from the Kuman-Kıpçak Turkish Tribe who came from North to the region. (2)

They could not been destroyed although they had fell into soverignity of Bulgarians and Byzantians for a while.

The name "Pomak" means "the helper" and was given by Slavs to this tribe.

Bulgarians used the name insultingly to mean "the helper of Ottomans"

According to Greeks, Pomaks are the sons of Alexander the Great and had been forced to become Moslems by Greeks. These arguments are far from reality.

Interstingly the name "Pomak" was extensivley used in XIX. century at the same time with the emergence of the term "Kurd" and "Armenian Problem". This was not a coinicidence, but used deliberatley to seperate Turkish Nation and Ottoman Empire..

http://www.middleeastinfo.org/forum/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=85&t=5523 - http://www.middleeastinfo.org/forum/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=85&t=5523

About the plans to exterminate the pomaks from the Greek state I don t think that the Greek state is so capable like the Turkish state did in the past with minorities

because the population of WT raised from 1960 till today .

My opinion is to leave these poor people that live in the mountain of Rodop to believe what ever they want and stop trying to make them Greeks, Turks, Bulgarians or what ever.

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 08:00

Thanks for the very ridiculous source.Lamp
Maybe the truth is somewhere between the rows... LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 08:46

we have to be more forbearancely! and have to be out of official theories also not define pomaks as like(pomak turks,muslim bulgarians and ex-greeks) in fact we need to investigate slavic tribes and their effects to balkans. am i right?

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 08:57
Aren`t they investigated already?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 09:04
 i'm afraid it seems like that at least in this topic...

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 05:09

According to Greeks,
Pomaks are the sons of Alexander the Great and had been forced to become Moslems by Greeks. These arguments are far from reality.

Do you read what you are writing?Big smile

Oh no..we ll miss some moments of laughing!

http://www.middleeastinfo.org/forum/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=85&t=5523 -

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 06:34

yes it is between the rows if you know looking And there are more truths which are hard copy

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 06:44
yes Brainstorm I read What I write And these are my thoughts.

and you can laugh whatever you want .it dont disturb me

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 07:59

Except from:

SAKALIBA ARE KIPCHAKS, AND BULGARS ARE ONE OF KIPCHAK TRIBES

Mirfatykh ZAKIEV

An article from his book TATARS: Problems of history and language. Kazan, 1995. Pp. 68–81.

That ku in ethnonim Kuchak~Kipchak (Kuman) means ‘white, red, fair haired’, proves also to be true by the fact that in many Turkic peoples we observe white (yellow) and not white (not yellow) people. Thus, in 5-6 cc. on the territory of Central Asia, Afghanistan, Northwest India and part of East Turkestan the White Huns, who are also referred to as Epthtalites, formed a state. In the history are known White Tatars and Black Tatars, White Khazars and Black Khazars, White Kirghiz and other Kirghiz, Sary Uigurs (Yellow Uigurs) and other Uigurs.

So, in the Turkic fold were peoples who called themselves Fair Haired, White. Further we shall see that these were Kipchaks. That ethnonim Kipchak designates white, light (Turk.: sary chechle ‘yellow haired’), the Turkological scientists noticed long ago. Thus, the Hungarian scientist Yu. Nemet came to this conclusion at the end of 30-es. He wrote, that “pale yellow” names of Kumans (Russ. Polovets) are a copy of their Turkic (self?) names Kuman and Kun, which ascend to Turkic adjective ku (from older kub) ‘pale’, ‘yellow’ [Dobrodomov I.G., 1978, 116; Nemet Yu., 1941, 99].

In Turkic languages the blond man also frequently is referred to as sary chechle ‘yellow haired’. Therefore it is no wonder that Kipchaks had also another ethnonim from a word sary ‘yellow’. The Western Kipchaks (Russ. Polovets) in ancient Russian sources were called Sorochinets, in that name was reflected the name of the Sary people, which was used prior to the name of the Kun people.

Since the Kipchaks mixed with other steppe tribes they picked up various eastern features. Cultural norms and views regarding ethnic features have had a part to play. For a Mongols, the Kipchaks were fair looking. For a westerner perhaps their doesn't exist much difference.

Lets talk about kumans imigration to eastern europe and slavic effect

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 11:43

Haemoglobin O Arab in the Pomak population of Thrace.

• http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Skaragas+G%22%5BAuthor%5D - Skaragas G ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Koliakos+G%22%5BAuthor%5D - Koliakos G ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Repanta+E%22%5BAuthor%5D - Repanta E ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Zaphiriou+K%22%5BAuthor%5D - Zaphiriou K ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Chatziachmet+A%22%5BAuthor%5D - Chatziachmet A ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Dimitriadou+A%22%5BAuthor%5D - Dimitriadou A ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Papazoglou+N%22%5BAuthor%5D - Papazoglou N ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Trakatellis+A%22%5BAuthor%5D - Trakatellis A .

Internal Medicine Clinic, First General Hospital Agios Pavlos, Thessaloniki, Greece.

A 21 year old woman from Thrace with clinical and laboratory findings of mild hemolysis, was found to be homozygous for haemoglobin O Arab. Blood samples from 15 members of her family and from 42 inhabitants of her village were examined for the presence of Hb O Arab. A high incidence of this variant allele was also detected among the patient's family members as well as in other inhabitants of the village (p = 0.274 +/- 0.049). The possibility that Pomaks, a culturally unique tribe with controversial ethnic origin, may represent one of the original pools for the geographic distribution of the gene in the broader area of the Mediterranean basin is discussed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=9049622&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=9049622&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:40

In another article different authors point that high frequency of this HbO-Arab mutation might be a result of inbreeding due to isolation of Pomaks for obvious resons.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15710581&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15710581&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 09:31
im not a scientist but i have noticed this document.

HbO Arab is the fourth most common abnormal hemoglobin in Turkey  It is one of the
abnormal hemoglobins that moves like HbA2 at pH 8.6. However, it can be separated from
other hemoglobins with similar mobility by acid agar gel electrophoresis  HbO Arab was
first reported from an Arab but later on was found to be present in Turkey, Bulgaria
and Macedonia. Two siblings from Kütahya(turkish city) were found to be homozygous for
this variant hemoglobin. Simple heterozygotes and compound heterozygotes were reported
from several parts of the country.

Turkish Journal of Haematology http://tjh.dergisi.org/ -

Posted By: akritas
Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 11:09

HbO Arab was  first reported from an Arab but later on was found to be present in Turkey, Bulgaria  and Macedonia.

Propably this Turkish journal mean the FYROMacedonia!!! Any help from the Heamatologists?Point out  the Slavmacedonians or any other ethnic group?

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 11:35
Originally posted by akritas

HbO Arab was  first reported from an Arab but later on was found to be present in Turkey, Bulgaria  and Macedonia.

Propably this Turkish journal mean the FYROMacedonia!!! Any help from the Heamatologists?Point out  the Slavmacedonians or any other ethnic group?

Scientists dont make political comment as like as real scientists! But many of them may be on the way of official theories can easily make... There are a reality that is balkan countries have got mixed ethnic groups and their Heamatologic data's would be mixed.

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:10
Unlike you, akritas, scientists do not give a damn about names. They call this nation Macedonians. Sorry about this. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:13

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:52
HBO Arab? Is it like HBO but in the Arabic language?

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 14:46
Originally posted by DayI

Do you know how disgusting you are?
Tell me how far disqusting am I and the reasons of course ?  
Originally posted by Anton

Unlike you, akritas, scientists do not give a damn about names. They call this nation Macedonians. Sorry about this. Big smile
It depends the scientists.The Scientists that not involve policy and names and segerate the nations and the ethnic groups. The others , those that you follow are those that just make political games and involve bloods researches  and  ethnicitySmile

Scientists dont make political comment as like as real scientists! But many of them may be on the way of official theories can easily make... There are a reality that is balkan countries have got mixed ethnic groups and their Heamatologic data's would be mixed.

Agree, but still you didnt answer in my question for what kind of Macedonians spoken your Turkish essay. Slavs, Greek or Bulgarians?

and one more think.Pomaks are not only in Greece but also and in Bulgaria.The same essay what have to do with the Pomaks?

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 15:19
I "follow" many authors and most of them are very far away from blood and genetics, because my research field is neuroscience. But I will answer you.

I know you (because of lack understanding) always claim that biological result depend on nationality of the researcher. I follow for example this article from Spanish and German authors:
Alu insertion polymorphisms in the Balkans and the origins of the Aromuns.

• http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Comas+D%22%5BAuthor%5D - Comas D ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Schmid+H%22%5BAuthor%5D - Schmid H ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Braeuer+S%22%5BAuthor%5D - Braeuer S ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Flaiz+C%22%5BAuthor%5D - Flaiz C ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Busquets+A%22%5BAuthor%5D - Busquets A ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Calafell+F%22%5BAuthor%5D - Calafell F ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Bertranpetit+J%22%5BAuthor%5D - Bertranpetit J ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Scheil+HG%22%5BAuthor%5D - Scheil HG ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Huckenbeck+W%22%5BAuthor%5D - Huckenbeck W ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Efremovska+L%22%5BAuthor%5D - Efremovska L ,
  • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_AbstractPlus&term=%22Schmidt+H%22%5BAuthor%5D - Schmidt H .

Unitat de Biologia Evolutiva, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona Department of Anthropology, University of Ulm, Germany. david.comas@upf.edu

We have analysed 11 human-specific Alu insertion polymorphisms in the Balkans to elucidate the origins of the Aromuns, a linguistic isolate inhabiting scattered areas in the Balkan Peninsula. Four Aromun samples (two from the Republic of Macedonia, one from Albania, and one from Romania) and five neighbouring populations (Macedonians, Albanians, Romanians, Greeks, and Turks) were analysed by means of genetic distances, principal components and analyses of the molecular variance (AMOVA). Three hypotheses were tested: Aromuns are Romanophonic Greeks; the result of a Romanian southward migration; or local descendants of the Thracians. The analyses show that the Aromuns do not constitute a homogeneous group separated from the rest of the Balkan populations. Grouping by language or geography does not explain the genetic differences observed in the region, suggesting a lack of genetic structure in the area. Aromuns do not seem to be particularly related to Greeks, Romanians, or to other Romance speakers. The Aromuns might have their origin to the south of the Danube river, with extensive gene flow with the neighbouring populations. The present results suggest a common ancestry of all Balkan populations, including Aromuns, with a lack of correlation between genetic differentiation and language or ethnicity, stressing that no major migration barriers have existed in the making of the complex Balkan human puzzle.

Now please stop to be disgusting and flame in Macedonian topics. Those, many of which you started yourself. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 15:31
Originally posted by Zagros

HBO Arab? Is it like HBO but in the Arabic language?

It's just the name of a mutation.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 16:11

We speake for who are the  Pomaks and here we have you and the Pomak35 to speak for connection between Slavmacedonian, Bulgarian and Turkish people.Now Anton you bring me the Aromuns.At least the last essay speak for Republic of Macedonia!!!

As about if I start flame as about the Macedonia issues is because I am Macedonian and I don't see anyone to steal my cultural Heritage like the Slavonic inhibants of the Macedonia. But I forget that  you are Thracian-Paeonian-Moesian e.t.c.  Anton  and you don't have anyone neighbour state or nation with that name.Your  "Thracian"  heritage is intactSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 16:19

I brought you this paper to show that people refer to Macedonians as Macedonians (from Republic of Macedonia) not FYROMacedonaians or Slavomacedonians (from FYROM) or etc. Because they don't care about bull*t you care too much about. As for the rest part your post I completely agree with DayI.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 16:33
Originally posted by Anton

I brought you this paper to show that people refer to Macedonians as Macedonians (from Republic of Macedonia) not FYROMacedonaians or Slavomacedonians (from FYROM) or etc. Because they don't care about bull*t you care too much about. As for the rest part your post I completely agree with DayI.

Of course you don't care.You are intact. LOLAnd as about you or Day I what thinking as about the rest  of my post I don't give a dime dear  Anton.Smile 

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 16:41
Fine Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 18:38

Originally posted by DayI

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 18:55

Day I I answered you via PM

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 05:25

As about if I start flame as about the Macedonia issues is because I am Macedonian and I don't see anyone to steal my cultural Heritage like the Slavonic inhibants of the Macedonia.

If you are too sure about this why you cant give any proof about what you wrote like pomak35 and anton?????

Posted By: giani_82
Date Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 09:43
They are quite like the modern day chechenians, as I've heard of they are of an indigeneous origin defenders of the mountains. In BG they are probably of thracian and slavonic roots. The non-stopping islamic wave converted these clans into Islam in search for protection. Ottomans never used fortifications for defending their possitions, and in the Balkans they used these mountain tribes to supply for their protection.

-------------
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius

Posted By: Turk Nomad
Date Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 14:49
Well at final:Pomaks originally Turkic or Arabic?

Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 03:13
Originally posted by Turk Nomad

Well at final:Pomaks originally Turkic or Arabic?

Arabic?
No..indonesian (they are muslims too) lol

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 03:28
Malaysian too ! Smile.

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com