Print Page | Close Window

May MUSLIM woman have more than one husband?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11249
Printed Date: 15-May-2024 at 01:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: May MUSLIM woman have more than one husband?
Posted By: Maziar
Subject: May MUSLIM woman have more than one husband?
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 01:03

Ok, hope i am in the right forum. I want to disscusse why isn't allowed for women to have more than one husband, while this is allowed for men in Islam? 

Someone mentioned once, if there is a child , how whould you know who the father is, to whom whould this child belong? well first of all a paternity test today is no probleme, it will go very fast. second the child belongs to the mother and no one else.

Another reason i have heared is, the polygamy in islam was due to the war at beginning of islamic history, most of the men were killed or missed during the war, so there were more women than men. Well today we are not anymore in a situation we need to extend Islam by war. But there are still men who have more than 1 wife.

Again another reason is, men should marry poor women to take custody of them. But why are women not permitted to marry poor men to take custody of them?

Ok people, i am open to read all argues and opinions from religious or  non religiuos people, muslims or non muslims, atheists, humanists, etc....

Replies:
Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 01:33
thats China in 20 years...

-------------

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 03:35
They have it in Nepal now.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Posted By: Suren
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 04:59
that's cool Idea

Posted By: Mira
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 07:01
Polyandry (women having more than one husband) is permitted and practiced in some places today, I guess.

All monotheistic religions do not allow that.  While King Solomon is reported to have had more than 300 wives, I'm sure his wives only had him as a hubby.

Why would a woman want to have more than one husband, anyway?

I can hardly imagine having one - let alone more!

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 09:46

Guys i am talking about Muslims women, not about chines or nepals, I didn't write this thread only by accident in the post classic middle east forum.

Originally posted by Mira

Perhaps from the same reason men want to have more than one wife.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 12:31
Originally posted by Maziar

Originally posted by Mira

Perhaps from the same reason men want to have more than one wife.

Then maybe you should ask men why (and if) they'd want to have more than one wife.

I don't think most woman would want to have more than one husband - Muslim or not.

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 14:54
All i want to know is why in Islam are men allowed to marry 4 women, but women are not permitted, come on, is it really unclear how i ask?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 14:59
No, you're asking a very clear question. 

There's a mistake though.  Men are not unrestrictedly allowed to marry four.

I'm asking, why should women be allowed to marry more than one man?  Was it allowed in any other religion?

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 15:18
well it doesn't interest me how many men are women allowed to marry, i wanna know why men have the permittion, and why hadn't islam gave women this permittion.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 15:24
Why should Islam grant such a permission, when no other religion had done that before?

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 15:45

well it doesn't interest me how many men are women allowed to marry, i wanna know why men have the permittion, and why hadn't islam gave women this permittion.

why are you asking it to us? we didnt decide what is banned or not.

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 17:11
Becouse i still want to know why muslims women and men are not equal. I am looking the reason for it, you understand now? and i am really interested to know YOUR opinion too.

-------------

Posted By: The Hidden Face
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 18:31
The equality of men and women is a modern principle. As mira mentioned, the prophet Solomon (Peace upon him) had 700 wifes, which shows the understanding of men-women equality of Judaism. As an abrahamic religion Islam has similar point of view on the equality, not just marriage, but also legal statute. The reason maziar want to know is without a doubt based on ecomonic factors. But the problem is that effects of economic factors do not appear as logical rules which is changeable by logic. So you can not say Indians are not agricultural people anymore so Hindus are free to eat cows. It's belief. In Islamic countries, there is no economic factors to have more than one wife anymore, but polygyny is still seem to be an Islamic tradition. Therefore the only way to change this tradition is to manipulate the beliefs in modern principles.

As for the question, again, there is no economic reason for women. Otherwise women'd have had already more than one husband.

Posted By: erci
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 18:40

Women can't even walk next to their husband or even her youngest son in Islam, what more did you expect? Women come after men and even after animals in some cases according to Islam.

-------------
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 21:34

Originally posted by erci

Women can't even walk next to their husband or even her youngest son in Islam, what more did you expect? Women come after men and even after animals in some cases according to Islam.

Yes i agree, Women are not allowed to keep their children when they are divorced, becouse Quran gives the child custody to the man. Even if the man is dead the grandfather will take the child, this is disgusting. 

Anyway i think it is time to talk about it, we are living in a modern time.

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:17

Yes i agree, Women are not allowed to keep their children when they are divorced, becouse Quran gives the child custody to the man. Even if the man is dead the grandfather will take the child, this is disgusting. 

eric from where you got this idea? please dont mix culture with religion,

what you stated is not true.

the same with what you saying maziar about child costudy , its not true.

-------------

Posted By: fastspawn
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:48
aren't i glad i am baha'i

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 16:12
It is all instinct. Although I may be wrong, (and please point it out if i am) as i see it in nature, men are the controlling factors. In Lion Prides we see a dominant male having his pick of the litter of females. And we see this in other mammals too. The dominant male "owns" all the females. So it is naturally accepted "in the before time" for a man to have many wives. I cannot imagine a woman having more than one husband. Just think about it..woman are not as horny "most of the time" as men. She doesnt need more than one man. But a man hell for sure would love more than one woman

Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 18:26
Originally posted by azimuth

eric from where you got this idea? please dont mix culture with religion,

what you stated is not true.

the same with what you saying maziar about child costudy , its not true.

The best prove for my claim is the Iran's islamic law. After divorcing the father will have the custody for the child, if the father dies or by any reason can't care for the child so his father(child's grandfather) takes the children.  

-------------

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 04:56
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

It is all instinct. Although I may be wrong, (and please point it out if i am) as i see it in nature, men are the controlling factors. In Lion Prides we see a dominant male having his pick of the litter of females. And we see this in other mammals too. The dominant male "owns" all the females. So it is naturally accepted "in the before time" for a man to have many wives. I cannot imagine a woman having more than one husband. Just think about it..woman are not as horny "most of the time" as men. She doesnt need more than one man. But a man hell for sure would love more than one woman

I think your right. Its one of those society things, if you want to know the answer Maziar I suggest you do a scientific study on it. If you look hard enough at anything in Islam it generally makes sense.

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 08:38

It is quite simple, really. Islam was a relgion tailor-made to suit the needs of the Arab people in the sixth century. It accommodated their needs.

Arabia at that time was still very tribal and warlike in many regions. Because of the constant internecine warfare among the tribes, mortality in the adult male population was quite high. However, as females were not expected to partake in this continual combat their mortality rate was not as high. This left Arab society with a problem, how to take care of so many women whose husbands had been killed in the constant tribal warfare. The simple solution was polygamy, the surviving males taking on the role of protector and provider for the extra women by taking her into his care as his wife. Before Mohammed polygamy was already very well established in Arab society, Mohammad actually put restrictions on it by cutting down the number of wives you could legally marry.

The reason why men can and women cannot enjoy this polygamy is fairly clear if we accept the above as being the reason.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 13:23

It doesn't make sense, i have read in newspaper about women who loved more than one man. Even i saw in news a report about a german woman she had a husband in germany and another husband in Kenia. She came to court and was sentenced, becouse polygamy is forbidden in germany.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 13:25
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I think your right. Its one of those society things, if you want to know the answer Maziar I suggest you do a scientific study on it. If you look hard enough at anything in Islam it generally makes sense.
My question in this thread is a part of the scient study you mentione.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 13:31

Originally posted by Constantine XI

It is quite simple, really. Islam was a relgion tailor-made to suit the needs of the Arab people in the sixth century. It accommodated their needs.

Arabia at that time was still very tribal and warlike in many regions. Because of the constant internecine warfare among the tribes, mortality in the adult male population was quite high. However, as females were not expected to partake in this continual combat their mortality rate was not as high. This left Arab society with a problem, how to take care of so many women whose husbands had been killed in the constant tribal warfare. The simple solution was polygamy, the surviving males taking on the role of protector and provider for the extra women by taking her into his care as his wife. Before Mohammed polygamy was already very well established in Arab society, Mohammad actually put restrictions on it by cutting down the number of wives you could legally marry.

The reason why men can and women cannot enjoy this polygamy is fairly clear if we accept the above as being the reason.

Yes this makes sense to me. If we accept your theory (what i do), so we  assume there was a situation of distress. So we can say today this tradition is obsolete, and there is no need to practisize it anymore.

-------------

Posted By: Gharanai
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 14:49

Well dear Maziar,
First of all I would like to say that non of the major religions allow this act and one of the most basic reason behind it is that; If a woman has more than one husband and she gets pregnant, how one decide whose child she is carrying.

I mean while there wasn't any advance technology to determine the blood group of the child and all those other DNA tests, how could one know a child's father while there is more than one husband at a time.

That's (as far as I know) why Islam and all other major religions don't allow more than one husband at a time and men are allowed four wives at a time only if he could provid all 4 equal rights and could feed all 4 of them. So the option for men are also not as easy as said.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 15:03
Originally posted by Gharanai

Well dear Maziar,
First of all I would like to say that non of the major religions allow this act and one of the most basic reason behind it is that; If a woman has more than one husband and she gets pregnant, how one decide whose child she is carrying.

I mean while there wasn't any advance technology to determine the blood group of the child and all those other DNA tests, how could one know a child's father while there is more than one husband at a time.

That's (as far as I know) why Islam and all other major religions don't allow more than one husband at a time and men are allowed four wives at a time only if he could provid all 4 equal rights and could feed all 4 of them. So the option for men are also not as easy as said.

I have already answered to this one, please read my main post again, i wrote:"Someone mentioned once, if there is a child , how whould you know who the father is, to whom whould this child belong? well first of all a paternity test today is no probleme, it will go very fast. second the child belongs to the mother and no one else."

I really interested to find out the real reason, and i think the answer Constantine XI gave is more sensfull than other reasons.

-------------

Posted By: Gharanai
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 15:23

I really interested to find out the real reason, and i think the answer Constantine XI gave is more sensfull than other reasons.

First of all I really am sorry that I hadn't read your first post properly, so I replied with that point of veiw.

Afterwards as you said that Constantine XI's answer was more sensfull which said; "It is quite simple, really. Islam was a relgion tailor-made to suit the needs of the Arab people in the sixth century. It accommodated their needs."

Ok we now know why Islam banned it, now could you eleborate us why did Christianity, Judiasm and all other major religions banned this act ?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 16:41
Originally posted by Gharanai

First of all I really am sorry that I hadn't read your first post properly, so I replied with that point of veiw.

Don't worry about it, i do this mistake permanently

Afterwards as you said that Constantine XI's answer was more sensfull which said; "It is quite simple, really. Islam was a relgion tailor-made to suit the needs of the Arab people in the sixth century. It accommodated their needs."

No, i said this theory is more sensefull than other reasons i have read here. Still i think i am missing a better and sensefull reason.

Ok we now know why Islam banned it, now could you eleborate us why did Christianity, Judiasm and all other major religions banned this act ?

I don't know, and this is why i ask this question here. But let us first find out a satisfying answer to this question about Islam. Another major religions will have another reasons, or maybe the same reasons for this act.

Btw, to my knowledg only Islam gives men the permission to have more than one wife. Another majore religions don't.

-------------

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 21:16
In many people now have, a wife, a girlfriend, and a secretary. Messy divorces occur, families are destroyed and the biggest loosers are always the women. I'm sure its better to have a failsafe to protect the family.

Originally posted by Constantine

Because of the constant internecine warfare among the tribes, mortality in the adult male population was quite high. However, as females were not expected to partake in this continual combat their mortality rate was not as high.

Women fought on the battlefield as well, at least after Islam they did, before I think they did.

-------------

Posted By: barbar
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 23:50

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Yes this makes sense to me. If we accept your theory (what i do), so we  assume there was a situation of distress. So we can say today this tradition is obsolete, and there is no need to practisize it anymore.

You are right, there is no need to practice it anymore now. In Islam, it is said that it's better you take one wife,  can take two only on the basis that you can equally treat them (which it's always difficult to do), and the limit is four.  It's clear that Islam discourages poligamy, which was well established before Islam as Constantine XI stated.

As for your initial question, if woman fought in the battlefield, workoutside to support the family (several husbands who give birth to the children ), And physiologically and psychologically made some changes, then they might have had this previlege.

-------------
Either make a history or become a history.

Posted By: flyingzone
Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 13:23

The following is a very unique case ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060502/ap_on_fe_st/unusual_couple - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060502/ap_on_fe_st/unusual_coup le

Couple, 33 and 104, Reportedly Marry

Tue May 2, 8:11 AM ET

A 33-year-old man in northern Malaysia has married a 104-year-old woman, saying mutual respect and friendship had turned to love, a news report said Tuesday.

It was Muhamad Noor Che Musa's first marriage and his wife's 21st, according to The Star newspaper which cited a report in the Malay-language Harian Metro tabloid.

Muhamad, an ex-army serviceman said he found peace and a sense of belonging after meeting Wook Kundor, whom he said he initially sympathized with because she was childless, old and alone, the report said.

"I am not after her money, as she is poor," Muhamad reportedly said. "Before meeting Wook, I never stayed in one place for long."

He said he hoped to help his new bride to master Roman script while she taught him Islamic religious knowledge.

The report did not say if any of Wook's previous 20 husbands are still alive.

Malaysian Muslim men are allowed by their religion to take up to four wives at a time, but reports of women who marry more than once are rare. Muslim women do not practice polygamy.

Malaysia's 26 million population comprises about 60 percent Muslims, almost all ethnic Malays. Large ethnic Chinese and Indian minorities are Buddhists, Hindus or Christians.

-------------

Posted By: Super Goat (^_^)
Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:46
Malaysian Muslim men are allowed by their religion to take up to four wives at a time, but reports of women who marry more than once are rare. Muslim women do not practice polygamy.

Why did they mention polygamy in the article?

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 17:53

hmm.. u guys knw about this?

Quote:

Why did they mention polygamy in the article?

because the old granny married more thn 20 times..  due to re-marriage and divorce.. just to inform tht muslims women do not practice married more thn one person in a time...

Now she is looking for second wife for her husband... i'm confuse..

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 23:21

You know it is a western media. They always are very concerning to mention the poligamy when they get any chance to.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 07:51
If a woman allowed to marry more than one man then she is not going to know who are her child's father is , that's one of the reasons has been explained by islam

Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 13:56

Originally posted by HeilHim

If a woman allowed to marry more than one man then she is not going to know who are her child's father is , that's one of the reasons has been explained by islam

I have answered this befor, look:

Someone mentioned once, if there is a child , how whould you know who the father is, to whom whould this child belong? well first of all a paternity test today is no probleme, it will go very fast. second the child belongs to the mother and no one else.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 13:46

Originally posted by HeilHim

I have answered this befor, look:

Someone mentioned once, if there is a child , how whould you know who the father is, to whom whould this child belong? well first of all a paternity test today is no probleme, it will go very fast. second the child belongs to the mother and no one else.

why a muslim woman needs to have more thn a husband Maziar? As wht Mira had asked u previously..

It isnt only regarding the child belong to who but Islam rules and regulations itself... i think u knw that..

A child must be named and follow the father's surname.. not the mom's name.. and it's already being discussed so many times in AE about man leadership and rights in Islam. Only one man.. a father will lead the family.. not the mom. I dont think it is practicle to have a wife with few husbands in a family.. and it just not so acceptable in Islam.. Yucks!

Hmmm.. I guess those men who willing to be married and share his wife with other guys are not man enough.. lol

Futhermore... a man will be the 'wali' for his children when they are getting married (refer to daughters).. the responsibility has been given to the man not to woman.

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 14:34
Originally posted by cahaya

why a muslim woman needs to have more thn a husband Maziar? As wht Mira had asked u previously..

Like Mira you havn't got my point. I ask why are men allowed to marry 4 women and women are not allowed, in another words: why have men more privilegs than the women?

It isnt only regarding the child belong to who but Islam rules and regulations itself... i think u knw that..
for sure i know that. yes Islam rules and regulations itself, but in a unequal way, men are always favored.

A child must be named and follow the father's surname.. not the mom's name..
Why?

and it's already being discussed so many times in AE about man leadership and rights in Islam. Only one man.. a father will lead the family.. not the mom
Yes i am awar. But let me ask you something, if you were a university professor and your husband a street cleaner, would you still think he is the right one to lead the family? would you still stand in front of him sinking your head and saying i'll do what you order me?(nothing against street cleaners, but for sure as uni professor you are more intelligent than him)

I dont think it is practicle to have a wife with few husbands in a family.. and it just not so acceptable in Islam.. Yucks!
neither i will accept to share my wife with another men, and you know women don't like to share their men with other women too.

Hmmm.. I guess those men who willing to be married and share his wife with other guys are not man enough.. lol
agree with this. Don't you think women who share their husband with another women are not women enough? i think so.

Futhermore... a man will be the 'wali' for his children when they are getting married (refer to daughters).. the responsibility has been given to the man not to woman.

Yes, and i am so sorry for that, like i said befor Islam is a manly religion and men are favored.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 10:38

Mazier, answer me please:

Are women same as men physiologically and psychologically? Are their responsibilities in the societies and families the same?

If the answer is no, then how come they can be equal?

In Islam, it is stated very clearly that women are the clothes of men, as the same men are the clothes of women.  As men take more responsibilities for the families, then they should be a level higher in position. The reason is:

Their more responsibilites came from the structure of the society and men's physical and mental abilities, which somehow protects women from engaging in social struggle.  How come one can claim Islam favours men, while it's requiring more responsibilites from men?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 10:56

Sorry, but if you think like that, so can't provide you a logically answer, becouse you don't think logically. Your way of thinking is inherited by your forfathers and very obsolete.

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 08:59
While it may once have been the case that women were at a disadvantage in participating in certain activities such as warfare or hard physical labour due to their naturally lower level of muscular strength and their role as mothers and nurturers, I think today that modern technology has raised women to above what they used to be. While in the 7th century their gender may have disadvantaged them, in the 21st things like education can make a single woman many times more economically valuable as a typical male. I don't see why they shouldn't have access to the same privileges as men if they are today economically and politically as relevant to society as males are.

In anycase, the reality of today is vastly different to the context of 7th century Arabia. Hence why by today's standards the laws of Muhammad's day may not  seem to fit as well as they once did.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 12:17

Ok, hope i am in the right forum. I want to disscusse why isn't allowed for women to have more than one husband, while this is allowed for men in Islam? 

Another reason i have heared is, the polygamy in islam was due to the war at beginning of islamic history, most of the men were killed or missed during the war, so there were more women than men. Well today we are not anymore in a situation we need to extend Islam by war. But there are still men who have more than 1 wife.

Again another reason is, men should marry poor women to take custody of them. But why are women not permitted to marry poor men to take custody of them?

Ok people, i am open to read all argues and opinions from religious or  non religiuos people, muslims or non muslims, atheists, humanists, etc....

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 12:43
When topic is religion, never forget the fact that rules take spirit from the individual believe of God's massage. On the otherhand the matter is not to convence every person, but to give all people the chance to share the information. Ýslam is forever true based religion snd my job tought me that it's possible to find the DNA OF EVERYBODYS FATHER. Still in every institute there must be a mannager and the man had been donated with the qualifications to lead the family institute. As far as Ý know it's impossible to participate in more than on company at the same time as membership otherwise intolerebable caos uprise.  

-------------

Posted By: Maharbbal
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 22:49
Hi,

my post is not related to islam but is pure logic:

men and women are not equals. nothing un-PC here, just mere common
knowledge: ask yourself how many babies a woman can have in a
lifetime? maximum twenty, usually less. and a man? potentially hundreds
of thousands. no wonder that in a traditionnal society where the more
kids you had the better, males tended to have as many potential mate as
they could.
the richer they were they were the more wives and kids they could
sustain. it had a very evolutionary friendly value in the sense the
wealthiest is supposed to be the fittest.
finally as nomadic people, the arabs as the ability to spread equaly their
goods between their heirs. i.e. if you have a land and you cut it in pieces,
there won't be enough food for everybody within one or two generations.
on the countrary sheep, camels and cattle are potentially of un-limited
number.

hence polygamy is a strategy of power at a social and personal level.
polyandry wouldn't make sense. on the countrary, now that the familly or
the individual are the very base of the economy poligamy can be counter-
productive in many ways.

M.

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com