Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

May MUSLIM woman have more than one husband?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May MUSLIM woman have more than one husband?
    Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 01:03

Ok, hope i am in the right forum. I want to disscusse why isn't allowed for women to have more than one husband, while this is allowed for men in Islam? 

Someone mentioned once, if there is a child , how whould you know who the father is, to whom whould this child belong? well first of all a paternity test today is no probleme, it will go very fast. second the child belongs to the mother and no one else.

Another reason i have heared is, the polygamy in islam was due to the war at beginning of islamic history, most of the men were killed or missed during the war, so there were more women than men. Well today we are not anymore in a situation we need to extend Islam by war. But there are still men who have more than 1 wife.

Again another reason is, men should marry poor women to take custody of them. But why are women not permitted to marry poor men to take custody of them?

Ok people, i am open to read all argues and opinions from religious or  non religiuos people, muslims or non muslims, atheists, humanists, etc....

Edited by Maziar
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 01:33
thats China in 20 years...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 03:35
They have it in Nepal now.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 04:59
that's cool Idea
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 07:01
Polyandry (women having more than one husband) is permitted and practiced in some places today, I guess.

All monotheistic religions do not allow that.  While King Solomon is reported to have had more than 300 wives, I'm sure his wives only had him as a hubby.

Why would a woman want to have more than one husband, anyway?

I can hardly imagine having one - let alone more!
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 09:46

Guys i am talking about Muslims women, not about chines or nepals, I didn't write this thread only by accident in the post classic middle east forum.

Originally posted by Mira

Perhaps from the same reason men want to have more than one wife.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 12:31
Originally posted by Maziar

Originally posted by Mira

Perhaps from the same reason men want to have more than one wife.

Then maybe you should ask men why (and if) they'd want to have more than one wife.

I don't think most woman would want to have more than one husband - Muslim or not.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 14:54
All i want to know is why in Islam are men allowed to marry 4 women, but women are not permitted, come on, is it really unclear how i ask?
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 14:59
No, you're asking a very clear question. 

There's a mistake though.  Men are not unrestrictedly allowed to marry four.

I'm asking, why should women be allowed to marry more than one man?  Was it allowed in any other religion?
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 15:18
well it doesn't interest me how many men are women allowed to marry, i wanna know why men have the permittion, and why hadn't islam gave women this permittion.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 15:24
Why should Islam grant such a permission, when no other religion had done that before?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 15:45

well it doesn't interest me how many men are women allowed to marry, i wanna know why men have the permittion, and why hadn't islam gave women this permittion.

why are you asking it to us? we didnt decide what is banned or not.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 17:11
Becouse i still want to know why muslims women and men are not equal. I am looking the reason for it, you understand now? and i am really interested to know YOUR opinion too.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 18:31
The equality of men and women is a modern principle. As mira mentioned, the prophet Solomon (Peace upon him) had 700 wifes, which shows the understanding of men-women equality of Judaism. As an abrahamic religion Islam has similar point of view on the equality, not just marriage, but also legal statute. The reason maziar want to know is without a doubt based on ecomonic factors. But the problem is that effects of economic factors do not appear as logical rules which is changeable by logic. So you can not say Indians are not agricultural people anymore so Hindus are free to eat cows. It's belief. In Islamic countries, there is no economic factors to have more than one wife anymore, but polygyny is still seem to be an Islamic tradition. Therefore the only way to change this tradition is to manipulate the beliefs in modern principles.

As for the question, again, there is no economic reason for women. Otherwise women'd have had already more than one husband.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 18:40

Women can't even walk next to their husband or even her youngest son in Islam, what more did you expect? Women come after men and even after animals in some cases according to Islam.

Edited by erci
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 21:34

Originally posted by erci

Women can't even walk next to their husband or even her youngest son in Islam, what more did you expect? Women come after men and even after animals in some cases according to Islam.

Yes i agree, Women are not allowed to keep their children when they are divorced, becouse Quran gives the child custody to the man. Even if the man is dead the grandfather will take the child, this is disgusting. 

Anyway i think it is time to talk about it, we are living in a modern time.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:17

Yes i agree, Women are not allowed to keep their children when they are divorced, becouse Quran gives the child custody to the man. Even if the man is dead the grandfather will take the child, this is disgusting. 

eric from where you got this idea? please dont mix culture with religion,

what you stated is not true.

the same with what you saying maziar about child costudy , its not true.

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:48
aren't i glad i am baha'i
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 16:12
It is all instinct. Although I may be wrong, (and please point it out if i am) as i see it in nature, men are the controlling factors. In Lion Prides we see a dominant male having his pick of the litter of females. And we see this in other mammals too. The dominant male "owns" all the females. So it is naturally accepted "in the before time" for a man to have many wives. I cannot imagine a woman having more than one husband. Just think about it..woman are not as horny "most of the time" as men. She doesnt need more than one man. But a man hell for sure would love more than one woman
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 18:26
Originally posted by azimuth

eric from where you got this idea? please dont mix culture with religion,

what you stated is not true.

the same with what you saying maziar about child costudy , its not true.

The best prove for my claim is the Iran's islamic law. After divorcing the father will have the custody for the child, if the father dies or by any reason can't care for the child so his father(child's grandfather) takes the children.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>