Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help translating an inscription

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Drug View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Drug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help translating an inscription
    Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 13:52
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyway... I have recently found this old ring, which has an inscription on it. I am not sure what the language is, probably Turkish. Please help me translate it)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 14:03
Where are you from Drug?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 14:36
Looks like a seal ring. You need to press it into some soft material (hot wax, clay etc) and then read the impression. At the moment the inscription is backwards.
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 14:43
Looks like it might say "La Ilaha Illallah" or "There is no god but God".
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 15:19

The image should be flipped horizontally:

I can read the name of Ali (علی) at the middle top and it seems to be the name of Hossein (حسین) at the bottom.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:56
The name of the owner, perhaps? Drug, do you know of any famous historical people called Ali Hossein who lived in your area?
Drug View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Drug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 12:17
Hi, thanks for your answers. I am from Moldova.
I will try to press it on to paper with ink and post an image.
Ali Hossein, no I have never heard of him.
Drug View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Drug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 18:14
Here is the print I made. Not sure if this is the right side to read it. Anyway the ring was found in an area that used to belong to a Khan. There was probably a battle there judging by the remaining arrows. The poor person probably had lost his fingers during battle. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 19:25
Moldova was under Ottoman rule from 1538-1812 and was in regular conflict with the Turks and Tatars during the Middle Ages. Perhaps the ring belonged to an Ottoman official as Ali is a popular Muslim name?
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 20:56
Man the other words written are not clear at all, very tough to read especially since it might have Turkish components (names).

The first from the right looks like Yokali  يوكلي or Bokali بوكلي , not very clear to be honest. The problem is that doesn't mean anything in Arabic so perhaps it means something in Turkish.

After Ali, it looks like it reads Qalim قالم but again what does that mean? Is i a name?

Yokali Ali Qalim Hussein?
Timidi mater non flet
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 06:46
The upper text is "Tawakali 'ala khaleqi" (توكلي علي خالقي) which means "I trust my creator", similar to this Ottoman seal:

توكلي علي خالقي عبده عثمان "I trust my creator whose servant is Ottoman"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 19:29
Maybe the decoration of the ring can provide some clues as to when it was made?
 Post Reply Post Reply