Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old West History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Online Status: Offline
  Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old West History
    Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 12:37

Dirty Dave came to a fitting end:

" border="" width="39" height="22">

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 15:10
Yup.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 15:26
The Battle of Massacre Canyon
Quite possibly the last great fight of any significant numbers of two Native North American Tribes. It's not well known to layman and or professional and it's rarely referenced. Non the less, I've been in the region many times and while perusing some old notes and references I had on it; offer it up for your edification. This can be tough and desolate country in summer and or winter. I was backpacking thru on the way to Julesburg....had nothing better to do and happened to see the monument. Got me interested... in the story.
The two primary contestants were elements of the Lakota And Pawnee nations. Inveterate foes and tremendously good haters and rivals, from as far North as Inyan Kara and Bear Butte to the edges of the Arkansas... (and yes your Unkie Centrix has been there too) tho there they were messing with Cheyennes, Kiowas, Arapahoes and Comanches along those waters. Not good in many cases. The best examination, review and retelling of the tale, is that of their agent John W. Williamson.

Enjoy the read.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 05-Jul-2012 at 21:19

S. T. Friedman

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 20:54
Thanks CV, that's a great read.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 21:29
Yes no problem Unkie...recently I have been accused of lesser quality posts by individuals unnamed.....It appears that when I post other then according to the mainstream interpretation of many subjects, most recently, political analysis I am a heretic. Which infers I have no knowledge or experience or right to an analysis...commentary.... opinion or personal choice of sources. 

So I'll just come and go and post occasionally as apparently my presence or contributions are not necessary. Or considered of merit or value. 

Iow...politics like war...on an internet forum blog or elsewhere.... is  still hell...And the Lakota and Pawnee proved that in 1873.Wink

So given the aforementioned this post is probably of no merit or value other then to a few. And I probably just wasted my time by contributing it.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 05-Jul-2012 at 22:02

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2012 at 11:43
Perhaps the most proficient plainsman and scout of his time and in par with the earlier greats, Bridges etc.

Yet he remains one of the least known and least recognized. The reasons are complex and as a result of his work during the time frame that Cody and Hickok were also in the business....and whom thru great publicity agents and voluminous publication of their exploits...true and fictional... garnered the majority of recognition.

None the less from contemporary sources, fellow scouts and military officers (Both Custer and Carr held him in high regard), that he worked for; William A. "Medicine Bill" Comstock was without a doubt nearly peerless.

See the links:

See also the comments on the great scout by Rosa in: Wild Bill Hickok The Man and His myth.
Chp Four. pg 94-99.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 07-Jul-2012 at 12:34

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 17:55
Battle of Blue Water Creek/aka/Ash Hollow
We just celebrated the 157th (yup I know that doesn't sound like a sexy number) anniversary of this little known fight between elements of the US Army and the Brule Sioux in NW Nebraska from 2-3 Sept 1855.

Essentially defined as the culminating action of what's referred to as the 'First Sioux War'. It really involved alleged violations of the Fort Laramie treaty (1851) and the theft of a cow by a Brule warrior from a Mormon immigrant train passing near their camp on the Oregon trail; Aug 1854 and subsequent Sioux raiding in 1855.

Long and short of it is...immigrant gets mad, turns in the theft to the military authorities at Fort Laramie; who then send out a less then qualified Indian negotiation team led by Lt. JL Grattan and 29 stalwarts to seek redress. Things did not go well to say the least and at the end of the day a clan Chief is dead and so is Grattan and 29 other soldiers (The Grattan Massacre 19 Aug 1854).

Now it has escalated into a massacre of US forces and the entire nation is up in arms over an incident reference a cow. A cow that varying sources alleged the Sioux were willing to make restitution for. But the lad leading the Army expedition, in an effort, no doubt, to show his moxie nix's that and demands the surrender of the Sioux Warrior. Which was summarily rejected by the Chief.

Well things can only get worse and they did. Because now bowing to the public howling President F. Pierce orders a punitive expedition, under Colonel WS Harney into the field to chastise the hostiles for their temerity. On site Negotiations fail And the rest... they say is history. Hopefully, I've whetted your appetite and I hope for you to follow up on the actual battle which then occurs.

And for you CW buffs there's some familiar names involved. Bottom line... heavily outnumbered and outgunned the Natives (approx 250 men versus 600 infantry and cavalry) are defeated. With significant casualties including (yup you guessed it) women and children. This then is the beginning of a long road ahead against the Sioux.

So if your interested see the following link for what ends up being a return favor of massacre...all over a cow. And I encourage you to read about it by perusing:

Beck, Paul Norman (2004). The First Sioux War: The Grattan Fight and Blue Water Creek, 1854-1856], University Press of America

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/battle_of_blue_water.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=Nqcng_YtoXQC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=John+Lawrence+Grattan&source=bl&ots=RZihbej3f1&sig=u2NN948DhyVB6ya5x1Xnu8D_OIc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#v=onepage&q=John%20Lawrence%20Grattan&f=false

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 15-Sep-2012 at 17:56

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2012 at 14:08
Battle of Slim Buttes
After unsuccessfully attempting, in concert with General A. Terry, to locate the bands responsible for the Custer fight on the Big Horn during the summer of 1876. BG G. Crook commences what is now his famous mud march back to the SW to the goldfields of Dakota Terr. By late August, into early Sept, his command...

(elements of the 2nd-3rd and 5th US Cavalry Regiments and the 4th-9th and 14th US Infantry regiments)

...virtually starving and nearly dismounted and forced to eat dead horses and mules, is beset with unusually severe rains and bad weather.

Crook orders Captain Anson Mills, 3rd US Cavalry and a contingent to push onto the Black hills and supplies... while en route, Mills on 8 September 1876, accidentally stumbles onto the camp of Lakota Chief American Horse near Slim Buttes (Reva, SD).

While the village is destroyed and American Horse mortally wounded, for the next two days, Crook and his forces (approx 1200 men) fend of counterattacks led by the famed Oglala Warrior Crazy Horse (600-800 warriors). On 10 Sept, Crook proceeds as per his intent to the gold camps. A running fight will continue for several days amongst minor elements of the forces. However by 15 September Crook will be resupplied and his commands security ensured.

Nominally an Army victory it will not yet be the last action in the long war versus the Sioux.

For more see: Werner, Fred H., The Slim Buttes Battle, San Luis Obispo, CA: Werner Publications, 1981.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 07:45

Dingdong the spammer has been busy, but i think i've deleted the majority of his posts

Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345