Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Islam and democracy compatible really

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Islam and democracy compatible really
    Posted: 26-May-2006 at 07:23
Originally posted by Seko

The military is a big inlfuence due to having its position in the country's national security council. I would like the military to contnue this presence and influence in Turkey since it is a balance to various political parties that verge off the desired secularist path, Turkish style.

Do you really mean this? Confused
If a moderator (supposed to be quiet moderateSmile ) says that,
what can someone expect by fanatic nationalists ???Confused

Do u excuse the political role of army,because its a way to balance political parties? I am afraid with such opinions Turkey is miles away from being a western democracy-and entering EU.
I hope there are people with different point of view within Turkey...

On the other side,maybe its meant that military is necessary for keeping extreme islamism under control.
If this exist ...what could be the solution ..?
Can Turkey reach real democracy ,following another way to control Islamic extremism ,than using the Army for this?

Simple speculations..
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 08:50
Originally posted by Digenis

The military is a big inlfuence due to having its position in the country's national security council. I would like the military to contnue this presence and influence in Turkey since it is a balance to various political parties that verge off the desired secularist path, Turkish style.

Do u excuse the political role of army,because its a way to balance political parties? I am afraid with such opinions Turkey is miles away from being a western democracy-and entering EU.

On the other side,maybe its meant that military is necessary for keeping extreme islamism under control.
If this exist ...what could be the solution ..?
Can Turkey reach real democracy ,following another way to control Islamic extremism ,than using the Army for this?

Simple speculations..

Turkey needs the military for influence. Turkey is border to all the countries you fear in the west If Turkey's borders where open with no military control you would have your so called "terrorist" way easier in the west. Turkey needs the military for countering the PKK.

BTW I don't see Turkey entering the EU. They ask to much from them.
france brought the armenain genocide law. If you "denie" it it's a crime.
So Nah that's not good. And I think Turkey is way better of with asian countries. Europe is falling(economic) all the investments are going towards japan china, korea and other asian counties so noSmile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 08:59
For Digenis,

Moderators are human too. Unless you thought we were robots! But you don't really know the role of Turkey's miliitary and you have no problems pointing out a critcism at Turkey or even Turkish moderators. So I will take this remark of yours in jest and think that you simply do not know better.

Of course I mean that. As a Turk the army has been the protector of civil rights in cases of national emergency. Whether against communist terrorism or islamic fanatacism the military branch has stood for secularism. Sounds weird to a foreigner, especially for an arche rival of the Turks. Granted the military's role is often an extra voice (some either say unnecessary yet the majority of Turks say they are necessary) along the lines of seperate political party, yet with Ataturks principles in mind.

So I hope you keep the psychoanalyisis for yourself next time and respect my differing view of life and politics. Especially if it differs from yours. Next subtle comparison between my moderation and 'fanatic nationals' will lead to an interesting experience here. That was a big leap of mistaken understanding for you to even come to the conclusion that you did.

Edited by Seko - 26-May-2006 at 09:00
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 13:37

As a Turk the army has been the protector of civil rights in cases of national emergency.

This reminded me the 1st speech of colonel Papadopoulos in 1967,when dictatorship emerged in Greece.It started with "The country goes on a national emergency crisis..."

I dont know why you feel personal insulted-critisism is the basis of free speech.The fact is that i felt a bit surprised.
Its weird to consider military in politics natural,when raised in a western type republic-and this has nothing to do with "arche-rivals"-dont see everywhere enemies.

So,as i understand u consider for now,the military necessary in politics...(cause of extremist islamism etc) But do you think that this is a quiet good type of government,or in the future this must end?
Is full democratization possible,with military involved in politics?
My opinion: certainally,not-And i think most of Europeans share this opinion too.

Next subtle comparison between my moderation and 'fanatic nationals' will lead to an interesting experience here.

Like what?
Is this a threat ?Confused

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 14:44
The role of the miitary in Turkish politics can be reivewed in the link below.

Although the army's composition changes over time, it is possible to discern patterns in the way Turkey's military functions. In general, the Turkish military can be characterized as moderately conservative, because it tends to retain the existing order, but at the same time it does not hesitate to remedy the state's malfunctions.....
Synoptically, it is clear that the Turkish Army has conformed to its guardian role for almost half a century. It has become over time increasingly reluctant to physically seize power, but is very determined to strike down real or perceived threats to the constitutional integrity. http://jspc.library.wisc.edu/issues/1998-1999/article5.html

The military is a political party of its own. It is part of the governmental structure.

After having firsthand experience of the chaos that was 1970's Turkey I have a fond affection for it's (military) ability to control and thwart threats to the state and the civilian population. Whether you understand my arbritary sentiments are irrelevant to this topic. For you to dig up an old quote and pidgeon hole me is inconsiderate, yet to compare my beliefs as being marginally better than some fanatic nationalists is bordering on naivete. However, on the other hand, if the fanatic nationalists are law abiding secular citizens then I do share many of the same ideologies. If you mean that such individuals do not respect the rule of law then I am not one of them. Perhaps this clarifies the differences. See it is not so bad afterall. The military as part of the state and is not so 'weird' if you were familiar with Turkey. It is something I have appreciated and respected.

Is full democratization possible,with military involved in politics?
My opinion: certainally,not-And i think most of Europeans share this opinion too.

So what!

I take offense that you could automatically degrade the military institution and then say that I, as a moderator, am some type of fanatic. That is why I said this will be an interesting experience. Your questions seemed more like a put down than a sincere inquiry. I respect your opinion and I don't question your personal beliefs as a member. That is who you are. It amazes you that I could be a democrat and support the military institutions of Turkey even in politics at the same time. Now after understanding my views maybe you will appreciate my beliefs too.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 17:08
I think the turkish army is the insurance for the democracy and stability in this country. Middle East is a highly instable region. I agree this is a bit wired the turkish army has a such extrem role, but it is highly necessary. If Iran's army had a same role 1978, so we wouldn,t have an extrem fundamentalist gov. like islamic gov of Iran today.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 13:05
I think the turkish army is the insurance for the democracy and stability in this country.

Well If we are talking about democracy, effect of army over politics cannot become insurance of democracy, but some type of fasism.
It is impossible, because army itself is attacking democracy. I

nfact I am sure neither you nor our democrat friends (who support army role), infact care for democracy.

After having firsthand experience of the chaos that was 1970's Turkey I have a fond affection for it's (military) ability to control and thwart threats to the state and the civilian population.

Well Infact now, It is military who is creating chaos at Turkey, not otherwise. We have an army support that people attack over politician, Infact Ozkok said, this type of protests should be every day, not only one day. What a democracy.

As a Turk the army has been the protector of civil rights in cases of national emergency.

That is totally far from reality, If we ignore 1961 coup, army is always restricted civil rights, and they are still doing it. 

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 04:55
LOL an Army forcing people not to practice their rights is "an insurance of Democracy".  Please LOL

any way moved to intellectula discussion.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 06:50
Originally posted by Maziar

I think the turkish army is the insurance for the democracy and stability in this country. Middle East is a highly instable region. I agree this is a bit wired the turkish army has a such extrem role, but it is highly necessary. If Iran's army had a same role 1978, so we wouldn,t have an extrem fundamentalist gov. like islamic gov of Iran today.

BravoClapGreat observation.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 07:04
Originally posted by Mortaza

I think the turkish army is the insurance for the democracy and stability in this country.

Well If we are talking about democracy, effect of army over politics cannot become insurance of democracy, but some type of fasism.
It is impossible, because army itself is attacking democracy. I

nfact I am sure neither you nor our democrat friends (who support army role), infact care for democracy.

After having firsthand experience of the chaos that was 1970's Turkey I have a fond affection for it's (military) ability to control and thwart threats to the state and the civilian population.

Well Infact now, It is military who is creating chaos at Turkey, not otherwise. We have an army support that people attack over politician, Infact Ozkok said, this type of protests should be every day, not only one day. What a democracy.

That is totally far from reality, If we ignore 1961 coup, army is always restricted civil rights, and they are still doing it. 

Oh yeah,military attacking democracy+fascism..

Leave the fractions alone and let them change the regime...Let it be forced into be like Khomeini's Iran...

In many states, army's intervention is unnecessary.In the nations who have a deep tradition of democracy and whose folk totally adopted fundemental rules of democracy such as secularism, there is no need for such an intervention.

But as the institution who steamrolled in establishment of democracy in Turkey, the army is necessary to be its guardian.

I think there are many parts that the Turkish army had done wrong, especially during the past coups,but if we speak about today, army is just showing its face when it sees a threat against the future and safety of the democratic regime.

Army hadn't restricted the civil rights except the 1980 coup.In 1960 coup, it supported a more libertarian constitution and extended civil rights while removing a party group that started to turn into a party dictatorship.But the problem with it was, as one of the leaders of the coup Cemal Madanoglu said, they had no idea what to do after the coup. So,there had been an uncertain condition for a while...In 1980, that was a disaster..Political terrorism was going around all Turkey, but a better solution than such a hardcore and terrible coup with a horrible aftermath could have been found.

After that,army left its incline to make coups in every ten yearsSmilefor example in 1997, army intervened in to save Turkey from falling into power of extreme Islamic hands.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 08:12

I have travelled a lot in Turkey, not just Istanbul, and i have discussed with many people. I don't think that extreme islamists are a big percentage of the turkish population. I would say it's practically the same with any europeans country christian fanatics. Especially, in western Turkey, young people concider themselves muslim-europeans and not middle-east exremist muslims. It's only my opinion but i don't think Turkey is in danger of an ''islamist coup'' like the one Iran had.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 08:26
I fully support the Turkish army's role in Turkey too...

My female cousins live in Turkey and they were telling me that the islamic government of Erbakan was trying to impose virginity tests as part of their grade ... When you have sick fanatical islamists like this you seriously need an army to stop them from violating the human rights of secular turks
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 09:30
With these virginity and adultary laws proposed by islamists you really learn to appreciate the role played by the army. I mean if I were a Turkish citizen I would stand by my right to choose to have sex before marriage and outside marriage, and no Islamist party no matter how many votes it gets, can have the right to criminalize such acts. You really have to be a secular Turk to understand and appreciate the pressure islamists are exerting on your way of life and the Army not matter how imperfect and anti-democratic in some of its practices is at least relieving some of it.

I believe in the strict seperation of religion and state, and while I believe islamists should be free to do whatever they want in their private personal lives, I also think they should keep their islamic ways away from the secular and modern institutions of the Republic, and should stop trying to impose them on others.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 10:18
There are better ways to protect secularism.

I think military coup is as bad as Islamic government to say the least.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 11:18

1. No religion based on propaganda and trying to convert the people is really compatible with democracy. Christian faith seeks the baptising of still unconsious children, and Islam & Judaism has the circumcision. Since the begining of their religious life a muslim, a christian or a jew is abused from a non democratic culture. And when they grow, they abuse the others.

2. The army is not a democratic institution in theory, and it would not be necessary in a peaceful world, But since we live in the real world, and since not all the turkey's neighbours are "goodwilling" and "pacifists", then i guess that they need an army. And they are not a democracy (this is utopic, I dont know if we can really talk about democracy in modern states).

3. The army is an institution not compatible with modern religions!
Prej heshtjes...!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 11:38
Originally posted by barish

For example?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 12:27
I think military coup is as bad as Islamic government to say the least.

well said, I dont want to  live at iran, but that does not mean I want to live another militarist and undemocratic country.

iran and turkey is two side of one coin.

Infact our army is not better than jenisarries.

Both of them dont respect people of turkey, both of them attacked legitimate rulers and politicians. Both of them restricted  and suppressed people. and both of them care for their pocket.

One big difference, our army is using secularism, jenissaries were using religion.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by bg_turk

I mean if I were a Turkish citizen I would stand by my right to choose to have sex before marriage and outside marriage, and no Islamist party no matter how many votes it gets, can have the right to criminalize such acts.

And that's the deal in Turkey nowdays, that's what the new generetions believe. Turkish society is an open multi-cultured society. I can't believe that there are enough extremists to change the form of modern Turkey to an Iral-like country.
Propably, turkish people have get used of military presence in their politics and don't know how to overthrow it.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 16:51

Originally posted by bg_turk

Originally posted by barish

For example?

Are you serious? Does your question need an answer?

Turkey is not a police state. Secular structure can be preserved through law.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that our current government is a threat to secularism.

Edited by barish - 05-Jun-2006 at 16:54
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 16:57
Originally posted by Mortaza

Both of them dont respect people of turkey, both ofthem attacked legitimate rulers and politicians. Both of them restricted and suppressed people. and both of them carefor their pocket.

The government is far more corrupted than the army, that's for sure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>