Print Page | Close Window

Are Islam and democracy compatible really

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9357
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 13:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Are Islam and democracy compatible really
Posted By: Iranian41ife
Subject: Are Islam and democracy compatible really
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 20:48

Well are they?

Some people will bring up Turkey and here is what I have to say about that.

Turkey has gotten to where it is today (its secularism and semi democracy) by rejecting Islam.

Even today in Turkey the religous citizens dont have as much rights as the non religous citizens.  So the Turkish model seems to actually prove that if you want a secular, democratic nation, you need to force it.

More examples are that the shah's of Iran did not do enough to force secularism into the mainstream and therefore we have the mullah's today.  And the Egyptian and Palestinian examples also prove that in a democratic election where the radical religous parties are not controlled (like in Turkey) they will sweep to power. 

What do you all think? Can we get to democracy through Islam or do we have to do it by fighting Islam?

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Replies:
Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 22:31
Your question is valid for any religion: Europe has not walked the path of democracy by following the Inquisition and bowing under "God-appointed" monarchs.

One must chose between liberty or rigid patterns. You can't be free in a cage... but, if you are addict, you can return to your cage all fridays...

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 23:14

no, i dont agree. with christianity, it was never forced aside, the mentality was always more liberal then islam.

there were instances where religion had to be forced out of politics, but for the most part, religion and politics were almost always seperate because of the non religous monarchs.

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 00:27
Originally posted by prsn41ife

no, i dont agree. with christianity, it was never forced aside, the mentality was always more liberal then islam.

there were instances where religion had to be forced out of politics, but for the most part, religion and politics were almost always seperate because of the non religous monarchs.

Don't forgett the witch hunt, inquisation and their victims who were burnt at the stake.

I agree with Maju when he says:"Your question is valid for any religion: Europe has not walked the path of democracy by following the Inquisition and bowing under "God-appointed" monarchs."

Maybe i will make a thread about "Heinrich Kramer" the german inquisator and his book "malleus malleficarum" (The Hammer of Witches or the Hexenhammer).

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 00:32
It is attitudes and values which need to be changed, rather than religion. If rigid Medieval Christianity, which actively promoted a society to mirror Heaven (i.e. an absolutist King playing the role of god, the bureaucrats and soldiers being archangels and cheribs) can become largely democratised, then so can the Islamic world. It will just require a separation of church and state and for social values to believe in in a strong legal system and democratic rule.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 00:42
There's a point in Christianity being a little less essentially political than Islam. After all Christianity developed for 3 centuries outside any state and even in opposition to it. But after Christianity becomes the oficial religion of the Roman Empire and its successor states, it became a very political religion.

I can understand though that Islam, which is born as a religious state (except for a brief forming period), and a very vigorous one, this separation of religion and state that Christians can found with the sentence "to Caesar what is of Caesar, to God what is of God" - that is a statement of apoliticism inside a context of the political nationalist Judaism of Jesus' and early Christian times.

But the essential question can be: did Mohammed concieve Islam without state or it concieved it as a political entity. I can't answer that... only Muslims can.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 02:46

Is Democracy compatible with Islam? Well, how many successful democratic islamic nations do you see?

The fundamentalists are more loudspoken than the "moderate" muslims. Some have said that they stay silent in other threads. How does staying silent help your case at all?

Democracy requires an acceptance of different thoughts and ideas, and at this time islam does not have this, so at this time, I do not think islam and democracy are very compatible. However, there could be a time.

But if the majority do wish to continue to be ruled in backward theocratic nations, I say let them have it their way.

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Posted By: Mira
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 04:09

This article answers your question:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BCW7WG/qid=1140426288/sr=1-28/ref=sr_1_28/002-8386381-4831211?v=glance&s=books - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BCW7WG/qid =1140426288/sr=1-28/ref=sr_1_28/002-8386381-4831211?v=glance &s=books

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 17:07

the thing with christianity it is that it is a pliable religion that adapts. that is why the christian world is mostly democratic today.

islam on the other had is strict and, for lack of a better word, backward in ideology, still clinging on beliefs, and rituals that are now obsolete.

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 01:50

well here what i think

a secular country does NOT mean a Democratic country.

and stopping religiouse groups from participating in the governmnet isnt Democratic.

also prsn41life forcing people to belive in what they dont belive in isn't Democratic either. dont you think so?

and maju many muslims belive that islam is  the correct way God wanted people to live from brith to death. thats include politics. and politics in Islam does include how to have a peacfull relation with non-muslims.

if you looked at history you will see that the percentage of non-muslims lived in Islamic empires/states was much much higher than non-Christans lived in a Christan empires/states.

Islamic times of spain and portugal are very good example of that, a spanish told me that houses of Christans muslims and Jews in Alandalusia were together in the same areas not sperated or put into communities, a well known arab christan and arab Jewish scintists came from that period, and  when Christans kicked the Muslims and the Jews of Spain islamic states took them.

-------------

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:49
Originally posted by strategos

Is Democracy compatible with Islam? Well, how many successful democratic islamic nations do you see?

And how many Christian countries were ruled by democracy in 1600's? Does this mean Christianity is not compatible with democracy? What is yoru point?

Why do you go that far even? Just in 1973? what was the "Christian" nation of Greek? A dictatorship under George Papadopoulos.

But if the majority do wish to continue to be ruled in backward theocratic nations, I say let them have it their way.

Well, to be more realistic. Those so called Christian nations that are democratic are not only silent about no democracy in the Middle East, but have supported raising dictators. In fact, in may parts of the world too including again George Papadopoulos' regime being supported by the United States.

So, maybe if the West remove its hands from supporting dictatorships through all contemporary history of the Middle East and from Shah of Iran to Qadafi, then maybe Middle East will be better.

However, I don't think this will happen. Realistically speaking, if the West will leave the Middle East politics alone for Democractice elections, maybe we will see more of Hamas stunning victories repeated again. Can they stand that? 

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:54

well said cok gec.

they (the west) just need to leave us alone. politicaly wise.

but to be more realistic since they (the west again) created Israel they wont leave us alone ( politicaly wise again) not anytime soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 17:05
And how many Christian countries were ruled by democracy in 1600's?

Can I get a check on todays date?

maybe we will see more of Hamas stunning victories repeated again. Can they stand that? 

Maybe the question is, can the muslim world stand that? These terrorist groups and theocratic states do not make the middle east's image any better.

[/QUOTE]

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 17:50
Originally posted by azimuth

and maju many muslims belive that islam is  the correct way God wanted people to live from brith to death. thats include politics. and politics in Islam does include how to have a peacfull relation with non-muslims.

By peaceful, you mean blackmailing them: "convert, pay tribute or be invaded"?

I know it's not "convert" but "allow missions" - but at the same time Islam doesn't allow other religions (or anti-religious discourse) to be promoted in its domain.

That scheme is not valid for non-Muslims and tehrefore it can't be valid for Muslims either... unless Muslims want to be the pariahs of the World.

if you looked at history you will see that the percentage of non-muslims lived in Islamic empires/states was much much higher than non-Christans lived in a Christan empires/states.

Not actually. Look at the colonial empires: how many Muslims lived in British India? In French Algeria? Or in the Russian Empire?

When "Christian" countries have expanded over Islamic lands they have mostly respected Muslims - with the only exception of Iberia.

In contrast, how many non-Muslims are there in Northern Africa? In modern "secular" Turkey?

The situation has changed depending of the places and circumstances.

Islamic times of spain and portugal are very good example of that, a spanish told me that houses of Christans muslims and Jews in Alandalusia were together in the same areas not sperated or put into communities, a well known arab christan and arab Jewish scintists came from that period, and  when Christans kicked the Muslims and the Jews of Spain islamic states took them.

This is a topic on its own. Spain has always been a fundamentalist state. Also, in that time, the political principle in Europe was "cuius regio, eius religio", and Protestants and Catholics were also persecuted, the same that Cathars or Hussites had been in the past.

Apparently (some) Christian Spanish believed that Moriscos and Jews helped the Barbary corsairs: they were the scapegoat of their frustration about the cotinuous raids of these Algerian pirates. Spain also sought to build its national identity on religion, and in this sense Moriscos were a "problem".

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 18:05

its the year 2006. if you are comparing muslim countries to that of europeans ones in teh 1600's, then you prove my point.

you guys should be ashamed.  my personal opinion is that islam is not compatible, its either one of the other, and i applaud people like Ataturk who made the right decision.

-------------

Posted By: Loknar
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 18:25

How about this...who cares?

What is real democracy? Real democracy is decision making by a vote of the whole populace, which is impossible. What is a republic? elected representatives. However, in an elected legislature, which by definition is democratic, it does not mean religion must be kept separate,

Separation of church and state is an American idea. Even when Europe started to change religion still held official status (and in many countries it still does).

I don’t care if religion is involved in Islamic governments. It is their concern and if the people want it (which is most important) then you have true free government. Just because it isn’t in the image as the west would like it means nothing.

For example, freedom of speech in the Muslim world and in Europe doesn’t work, but in America it does, that is just a difference in culture. However if that is how the people want it then it is a freedom in it self.

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 18:34
Islam is no less compatible to democracy or secularism than Christianity.

I am personally non-theist/agnostic, but I think Islamists are not real Muslims.

Even the most religious people can be secular.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 18:37
Democracy is a paradox in itself, because there is always a possibility that the majority could want a non-democratic system.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 23:03
Originally posted by barish

Democracy is a paradox in itself, because there is always a possibility that the majority could want a non-democratic system.

But this is very rare to say the least. Hitler (the typical case that is claimed to have been a democratically chosen tyrant) didn't have a majority and only using extraordinary powers (after a full decade of minority governments against the Parlament by other conservative parties) and banning the main opposition party (the communists) could rise to government by a majoritary vote in a mutilated parlament.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 23:23

what are you guys talking about?

democracy being a paradox? democracy not even being a democracy? tell that to the billions of people hoping one day to live in a truly free democratic state and rid themselves of their tyrant dictators.

what do you have to say to those people? what do you have to say to the freedom loving afghans, who prayed for the taleban to fall, what do you say to the iranians, who want the mullahs gone, but cant do anything about it, what do you say to the belarusians? waht do you say to the zimbweians?

i bet all those people are happy with the status quo right?

your comments are the very same reasons that dictators claim in order to stay in power.

-------------

Posted By: Illuminati
Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 01:23
I believe that Islam is compatible with democracy. It all depends on a muslims upbringing. If youa re brought up in a fundamnetalist state where ISlam controls most everything, then it may be ahrd for Islam in that country to be compatible with democracy.

Yet, there are many muslims in America today, and I've never really seen any issue with them and democracy. For the most they live and take part in the same political process that I do. They are still muslim, and they believe strongly in Islam, but also believe strongly in democracy. So, in many cases, I think that Islam is compatible with democracy.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 16:22

its the year 2006. if you are comparing muslim countries to that of europeans ones in teh 1600's, then you prove my point.

Strategos and Prsn4life, drawing the same conclusion of my example as other forumers did is not so difficult.
Christianity existed in 1600's and Christianity exist today in 2006. If you are living in 1600's and you said that "look at those Christian autocratic and crusading states, Christianity is not compatible with democracy" it will be as plain igorant, naiive, and simple-vision as saying today and standing with many non-democratic Muslim countries that Islam is not compitable with democracy.  Understand now?

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:10
Originally posted by çok geç

Strategos and Prsn4life, drawing the same conclusion of my example as other forumers did is not so difficult.
Christianity existed in 1600's and Christianity exist today in 2006. If you are living in 1600's and you said that "look at those Christian autocratic and crusading states, Christianity is not compatible with democracy" it will be as plain igorant, naiive, and simple-vision as saying today and standing with many non-democratic Muslim countries that Islam is not compitable with democracy.  Understand now?

what are you talking? it is the year 2006, 1600's was a different era! today, the muslim nations have no excuse for not being democracy!

look what has happened in egypt and palestine, islamic radicals quickly take control.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:20

what are you talking? it is the year 2006, 1600's was a different era! today, the muslim nations have no excuse for not being democracy!

look what has happened in egypt and palestine, islamic radicals quickly take control.

Wither they have an excuse or not, it does not give you or anyone here the right to push the blame to religion and it is clear that doing so is definitely a twisted presentation as I explained in my example.

Now, you talk about it as if the Middle East is isolated from the outside world. You seem unknowledgable about the fact that the delimma of democracy in the middle east is also a by-product of the "democratic " West!!

Was Shah of Iran a democracy? No. But he was supported by the United States. Who supported Saddam too before 1990 invasin of kuwait? Who helped Qadafi to take control except the American base in Tripoli. Even if you want to talk about Saudi Arabia, who supported King Abdul Aziz except Britain?

You seem to be living abroad and away from the Middle East. So I guess you can watch the new movie Syriana. Though it is not a documentary movie, but you will get the idea. This is not an idea produced here in the Middle East to throw the blame out. It is an accepted fact even by Westerners themselves.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:26

i have seen syriana.

your argument is sensible, i agree, the west hasnt been too benevolent. egypt was a dictatorship anyway, all the countries in the middle east were dictatorships so the west supporting another dictator doesnt make a difference.

the only exception here is Iran, in which there was a democracy. the USA apologised and admitted its mistaken overthrowing mossadegh in 2000.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:40

your argument is sensible, i agree, the west hasnt been too benevolent. egypt was a dictatorship anyway, all the countries in the middle east were dictatorships so the west supporting another dictator doesnt make a difference.

Well, there was a constitution, political parties, free press, and a parliment in the Kingdom of Hijaz after the WWI.  Britian decided to support King Abdul Aziz just to serve its interest. So it gives signals to all citizens in that region and till now that Western powers don't mind supporting a non-democratic choice if it means securing their interest.

After the 1990 Gulf War, Bush the father came on TV encouraging Iraqis to revolt against Saddam and promised them support. Guess what? they revolted and the United States, the winning side in the war, was just watching the failed revolt against the tyranny and the butcher of Shia in the south and the Kurds in the north and finally they put the no-fly zone areas.

Of course, this argument if it is expanded to include the rest of the world, it will become inevitable to observe many examples were actually democratic choices were removed and dictatorships were installed as in Greece coup and Chili.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:54
yes, as i said, i agree with you that the west has made mistakes. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 20:12

Well, there was a constitution, political parties, free press, and a parliment in the Kingdom of Hijaz after the WWI.  Britian decided to support King Abdul Aziz just to serve its interest. So it gives signals to all citizens in that region and till now that Western powers don't mind supporting a non-democratic choice if it means securing their interest.

After the 1990 Gulf War, Bush the father came on TV encouraging Iraqis to revolt against Saddam and promised them support. Guess what? they revolted and the United States, the winning side in the war, was just watching the failed revolt against the tyranny and the butcher of Shia in the south and the Kurds in the north and finally they put the no-fly zone areas.

Of course, this argument if it is expanded to include the rest of the world, it will become inevitable to observe many examples were actually democratic choices were removed and dictatorships were installed as in Greece coup and Chili.

We have all pointed out that neither west nor muslim world are perfect, but I believe the west is headed in the better direction

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 21:43

yes, as i said, i agree with you that the west has made mistakes. 

Mistakes? The west is just a bunch of olygarchically directed "republics" that have the objective interests of the corporation that rule them.

Said that, the same corporations rule non-democratic countries equally. So it's always better that you are allowed to cry foul.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 01:17

We have all pointed out that neither west nor muslim world are perfect, but I believe the west is headed in the better direction

Ok. Then Im glad you saw the big difference between "Islam" and "Muslims". Having said that, I guess then your second observation that Muslims are behind the West. Well not all, but most and truly behind the West. Reasons? we can discuss that in any form.

However, my previous objection was to blame Islam in a general statement as you made earlier. Christianity and Islam existed before and exist today.  Christian world went from advancement to decline to advancement again.  Civiliazation raise and fall. As it is not fair to blame Christianity for the decline in medival ages of Europe and the massacres done by its name, it is also unfair to point in the same direction to Islam.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 03:28

Christian world went from advancement to decline to advancement again.  Civiliazation raise and fall. 

That's not true: Classical World declined with the rise of Christianity and Europe arose only by fighting and destroying Christianity. Abrahmanic beliefs are destructive always: they don't accept reality only their "Word".

"At the beginning it was the Word..."

Blah-blah-blah...

I say that at the beginning it was the fact or maybe the will or the love but not "the Word". The word is just reflexive: it names what exists in matter or idea... it has no power of itself unless you want to decieve and seduce.

Unless you want to sell Bibles and tell tales...

And this is a truth of the size of the Himalaya and the depth of the Ocean.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 03:40

Originally posted by Maju

That's not true: Classical World declined with the rise of Christianity and Europe arose only by fighting and destroying Christianity. Abrahmanic beliefs are destructive always: they don't accept reality only their "Word".

I think you are right on this. Christianity practices in Europe went against science at the begining. Something that most early Muslims did not face regarding science. Therefore, a lot of Muslims wont' know that religion can stand against science sometimes.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 09:04

I think you are right on this. Christianity practices in Europe went against science at the begining. Something that most early Muslims did not face regarding science. Therefore, a lot of Muslims wont' know that religion can stand against science sometimes.

While it's true that Islam was less rigid towards (most) science and philosophy initially, it has eventually become very conservative. Apparently this happened since the Mongol destruction of Bagdad... but the trend was present even before.

You can be religious and scientific but you must give priority to either one, so when they neter in conflict you know which one has priority. A society based in religion, unless it is a very flexible and non-dogmatic one, will always find science and philosophy dangerous for their dogma and taboos.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 17:24

You can be religious and scientific but you must give priority to either one, so when they neter in conflict you know which one has priority.

Well, that is the precise point I was talking about. Most Westerners will fail to understand that for Muslims, religion (Quran and Sunnah) has not posed a conflict to science.

Now most Muslims know that early centruries of Islam are characterized by religious awakening and religious conservatism. However, science flourished much better during those centuries than later centuries. Therefore, there is no correlation between religious conservatism and science acceptance, at least in the Muslim world.

The change that occured is people reaction to science later where they decided to involve religion in matter that should not be in conflict to it. For instance, Fatwas in the Ottoman time of prohibiting printing machines that were discovered in Europe pointing toward fears of Quran manupilation. While Quran is silent about that, those scholars have done a great mistake in their analysis. They used religion for that decision, however, definitely they are not more or less conservative than previous Muslim scientists.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 21:11

You can be religious and scientific but you must give priority to either one, so when they neter in conflict you know which one has priority.

Well, that is the precise point I was talking about. Most Westerners will fail to understand that for Muslims, religion (Quran and Sunnah) has not posed a conflict to science.

Now most Muslims know that early centruries of Islam are characterized by religious awakening and religious conservatism. However, science flourished much better during those centuries than later centuries. Therefore, there is no correlation between religious conservatism and science acceptance, at least in the Muslim world.

The change that occured is people reaction to science later where they decided to involve religion in matter that should not be in conflict to it. For instance, Fatwas in the Ottoman time of prohibiting printing machines that were discovered in Europe pointing toward fears of Quran manupilation. While Quran is silent about that, those scholars have done a great mistake in their analysis. They used religion for that decision, however, definitely they are not more or less conservative than previous Muslim scientists.

Actually that's the point: weird ultra-conservative ideas with a religious pretension can destroy scientfic advance. For that reason one must be ultra-careful about bringing religion into non-spiritual matters, into society and politics. And definitively, here Islam doesn not make a clear distinction between spirituality (religion) and politics and social uses. Islam is a very political religion and that is danger in itself.

I think also that there is some idealization of the early period of Islam. While it is true that sciences flourished under the tolerant Abbasid Caliphs and other illustrated and tolerant Muslim leaders, it is also true that the outbursts of fanaticism that worked against science and tolerance were present since the begining and eventually, as Islamic society was becoming less Hellenistic and less Persian and more purely Muslim... they became dominant condemning Islam to decadence. Obviously forbidding printing can only be an attempt of restricting the floe of knowledge, typical of a society that fears change...

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:07

islam is a system of life to many muslims and it encourage science and learning and knowledge.

dont see how its dangerouse to science !

also the printing  or painting or drawing part is only for living things except plants trees ..etc. and for the sake of learning and knowledge it is i think allowed by many modern scholars. note in the past it was allowed too many scientific works had drawings in them. so painting a living thing for the sake of beautiy and decoration is forbiden in islam.

but anyway there are many muslims in the past which are doing the drawing things for the sake of decoration only. its a sin which is considered one of the (minor) sins. while making pictures of God and the prophet is higher (major) sins since it comes under insulting the religion.

but drawing some living things or not drawing them at all is just a matter how religious a person is. doing so wont change the fact that he/she is still a muslim beliving in the main pillars of Islam ( the 5 pillars) .

-------------

Posted By: ramin
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:14
So what you're saying is that Shias and Sunnis are not that different? and even probably the same?

_______
I'm still waiting for a clear respond for Salman Farsi thread.

-------------
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"

Posted By: Loknar
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:34

I think it is a myth that religion has always been detrimental to science and cultural advancement. No doubt the Catholic church halted such advancement but it was more due to ignorance than conspiracy.

The Muslims actually mapped the circular system of the human body. They correctly measured the distance between the Earth and Moon. I also hear they invented Algebra but I also heard the Chinese did. The Muslims also theorized that if an atom was split the energy would destroy a city the size of Baghdad.

The Christians advanced in different areas, in culture. They developed the music language and developed it to what you see today. IN fact, I once read that Islamic music hasn’t advanced in hundreds of years but western music has advanced quite well. Before the Renaissance in Italy, there was the Chargolonian renaissance which saw advancement in metalwork and I think it should be said that the Christians were masters at developing beautiful manuscripts. Then we heave a renaissance and I don’t think I need to elaborate on that.

Don’t get me wrong, Christian religion played a counter productive role in the advancement of science but it was the dark middle ages. In the dark ages especially people were ignorant and still developing a post Romantic world. It isn’t as bad as people make it out to be (especially anti religious people).

Overall, the strengths of the religions would, in my own view, have to be defined as followes.

Islam: Strong development in the sciences, great scholarly research (the Greek classics. And thus, the idea of democracy...this is the way in which Europe learned of such concepts) and great architecture.

Christianity: Strong development of culture and refinement. Great architecture (the haiga Sophia was actually built correctly to withstand earth quakes. The architect actually went against the then common thought of making the building heavy and instead made it light).

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 01:03

Originally posted by ramin

So what you're saying is that Shias and Sunnis are not that different? and even probably the same?

_______
I'm still waiting for a clear respond for Salman Farsi thread.

no they are not, if they belive in the 5 pillars of islam then they are muslims, some branches or sectors of shias were considered not muslims by some scholars (sunni ones.

on the other hand some shi'e scholars (imams) also consider sunnis as not muslims.

from both sides the ones who decided who is muslims or not muslims are mostly the ones who usually think "if you dont think like i think then you are kafir" !.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 03:03
would you reminde me with those 5 pillars please. I've forgotten them!
also I think there are another 3 pillars of same sort (Osoole Din?)... i'm not even sure what I'm talking about. Maybe you know it, if not probably shias could help out.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 03:14
I think it was Osoole Shar

-------------

Posted By: Turkish Soul
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 18:32

"Some people will bring up Turkey and here is what I have to say about that.

Turkey has gotten to where it is today (its secularism and semi democracy) by rejecting Islam."

We never reject ISlam.We are proud of being Muslims.Please don2t use these kinds of words!

-------------
dardanos

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 18:34
yes we are muslim and democrat.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 18:39

Originally posted by erkut

yes we are muslim and democrat.

I certainly agree with you.We succeeded to be a modern civilization as a Muslim.

We saw  democracy in Denmark.They said bad sayings to our cultere and religion and they said this is democracy! I certainly disagree!

-------------
dardanos

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 18:56
Oh yeah? Who are you people? Aren't you ordinary citizens? Then what the hell are you talking about?

You may be muslim, but you don't represent the republic. Turkish Republic has a secular political structure.

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:04
Originally posted by Turkish Soul

"Some people will bring up Turkey and here is what I have to say about that.

Turkey has gotten to where it is today (its secularism and semi democracy) by rejecting Islam."

We never reject ISlam.We are proud of being Muslims.Please don2t use these kinds of words!

im sure you have heard of ataturk.

he made the wearing of the hijab illegal for sometime, killed many religious people who stood in the way of his reforms, as well as many many other things.

dont deny it, its not a bad thing that ataturk was willing to go to extreme measures for his country.

and its certainly obvious that turkey is majority religous (60% of the women wear the hijab), and that is why the islamic parties always win, and i believe the last "coup" was in 1996, when a mililtary campaign removed a democratically elected religous government that wanted to make turkey a bit less liberal (like limitting alcohol stuff like that).

and you guys are trying to tell me that turkey is democratic because of islam? no turkey is democratic because of its fight against islam. and thats not a bad thing.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:18
We are not against islam we are against fundamentals.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:22

We are not against islam we are against fundamentals.

so all the muslims in turkey are fundemental?

so why cant women who wear scarves drive? or go to university? or go into government buildings?

why cant the president of turkey bring his wife to political gatherings?

are they all fundamentals?

why cant you guys admit that turkey is where it is today because it has rejected and sometimes oppressed its religous majority.

the turkish method actually isnt a very good one though, because i believe everyone should have equal rights, but still, turkey is great today because of ataturk's anti islam policies, which last to this day.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:31

Oh yeah? Who are you people? Aren't you ordinary citizens? Then what the hell are you talking about?

You may be muslim, but you don't represent the republic. Turkish Republic has a secular political structure.

Nobody rejects we are are a republic.But nobody can say that Turkiye rejects ISlam..

You don't know me so you must be restpecful to my opinion.I can both drink alcahol and go to cuma ok?

-------------
dardanos

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 20:11

and that is why the islamic parties always win,

Turkish Republic has multi-party elections since 1950. Islamists won twice. One in the 1990s, and one in 2004. It can also be debated that the current government is not Islamists. In any case, 'Islamic parties always win' is obviously wrong.

and i believe the last "coup" was in 1996, when a mililtary campaign removed a democratically elected religous government that wanted to make turkey a bit less liberal (like limitting alcohol stuff like that).

In fact there was no military campaign. The military threatened them and the Islamist PM resigned. Later that party was tried in court for unconstitutional activities and was banned. They applied to the European Court of Justice, which agreed with the decision of the Turkish judiciary. I.e. Turkey was right to ban it. So this event doesn't really count as a military coup, like the one in 1980. Turkish press often refers to it as 'the post-modern coup'. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 02:39

islam is a system of life to many muslims and it encourage science and learning and knowledge.

dont see how its dangerouse to science !

also the printing  or painting or drawing part is only for living things except plants trees ..etc. and for the sake of learning and knowledge it is i think allowed by many modern scholars. note in the past it was allowed too many scientific works had drawings in them. so painting a living thing for the sake of beautiy and decoration is forbiden in islam.

It is forbidden in some currents of Islam. Muslims have painted living things and even Mohammed himself (without the face) for the sake of decoration.

It's just a fashion.

but anyway there are many muslims in the past which are doing the drawing things for the sake of decoration only. its a sin which is considered one of the (minor) sins. while making pictures of God and the prophet is higher (major) sins since it comes under insulting the religion.

but drawing some living things or not drawing them at all is just a matter how religious a person is. doing so wont change the fact that he/she is still a muslim beliving in the main pillars of Islam ( the 5 pillars) .

So you make your religion on silly precepts as these... where's the spirituality? All is norms without meaning...

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 02:53

what silly precepts i made my religion on?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 04:55

so why cant women who wear scarves drive?

There is no such thing.

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 06:47

what silly precepts i made my religion on?

Drawing.

Rather not drawing... there are many more but this was the significant at the moment.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 06:51

There is no such thing.

Actually it's the women who are forced to wear scarves and not to drive not far away in Saudia.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 06:57

There is no such thing.

Actually it's the women who are forced to wear scarves and not to drive not far away in Saudia.

yes but they are talking about Turkey

-------------

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 10:16

Islam doesn't deny democracy...What Islam orders is equality and giving the same rights to all the people and it doesn't make any discrimination in races and genders.

Islam is in fact, in its idea, compatible with democracy. But being a majorly Muslim country doesn't mean that the state doesn't have to be secular...Secularism is very important in every aspect.

Turkey,Malaysia are good examples in this, the harmony of Islam and democracy..

But what created and supported the dictatorships in the Islamic world, is the former and today's imperialist powers...Better ask them about this, plus, the Islamic concept of democracy is deformed a lot by Wahabite ideology either, and radical extremism.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 10:19
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

and that is why the islamic parties always win,

Turkish Republic has multi-party elections since 1950. Islamists won twice. One in the 1990s, and one in 2004. It can also be debated that the current government is not Islamists. In any case, 'Islamic parties always win' is obviously wrong.

and i believe the last "coup" was in 1996, when a mililtary campaign removed a democratically elected religous government that wanted to make turkey a bit less liberal (like limitting alcohol stuff like that).

In fact there was no military campaign. The military threatened them and the Islamist PM resigned. Later that party was tried in court for unconstitutional activities and was banned. They applied to the European Court of Justice, which agreed with the decision of the Turkish judiciary. I.e. Turkey was right to ban it. So this event doesn't really count as a military coup, like the one in 1980. Turkish press often refers to it as 'the post-modern coup'. 

Just agreed with Beylerbeyi upon this..There wasn't even any Islamic party formed in Turkey for a long time...And yes, they had only won twice in the elections...Well, it is democracy, everybody can win, but making such a generalization is wrong.

The last one cannot be referred as a coup, only an ultimatum.

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 10:40

There is no such thing.

yes but they are talking about Turkey

we are talking about turkey because the subject is if islam is compatible with democracy, an turkey is (atleast to me) a prime example that to become liberal and democratic, you need to do some very drastic things.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 10:40

There is no such thing.

are you sure?

but you do agree about the other things.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 10:46
Originally posted by Kapikulu

just agreed with Beylerbeyi upon this..There wasn't even any Islamic party formed in Turkey for a long time...And yes, they had only won twice in the elections...Well, it is democracy, everybody can win, but making such a generalization is wrong.

The last one cannot be referred as a coup, only an ultimatum.

so the army giving the government an ultimatum to leave or else isnt a coup????

anyway, if its democracy, then why did the army force the government to leave?

and didnt ataturk's successor (or himself, dont quite remember) ban islamic parties from even forming?? maybe thats why.

and secondly, this new government is also islamic but because they dont want to get kicked out like the previous administration, then have toned it down a bit.

infact, there was something on bbc news a while ago that was talking about how religous muslims want turkey to be less liberal, for example banning alcohol and other things....

the fact of the matter is that, by providing the turkish model as evidence, it is clear that democracy and liberalism can only come from fighting islam.

for example, the dictator of egypt has kept egypt secular only by banning islamic parties ( for a long time). and now with the elections, the radical islamic parties have gained tremendous power, now the future of egypt is not so clear any more, another country like saudi? like iran?

-------------

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 17:26
IMHO, Islam is compatible with democracy ... providing it's a secularized Islam.
I think this is valid for any religion, as long as religion is a private fact there is no problem.
Problems come when someone wants to impose principles exclusively based upon one's faith on those who do not share it.

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 17:29

i wish islam is like that. if it was like that then there would be no problem.

but islam is not like that! islam is waaaaaay to strict and the religious always interfere with the non religous because they think that that is what God wants. for example, Iran, after 60+ years of secularism, you would think that the religous community would be used to it right? but no, they kept forcing their ideals till they finally got an islamic revolution.

-------------

Posted By: Super Goat (^_^)
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 17:40
the dictator of egypt has kept egypt secular only by banning islamic parties ( for a long time).

Secular, not democratic.Wink

IMHO, Islam is compatible with democracy ... providing it's a secularized Islam.
I think this is valid for any religion, as long as religion is a private fact there is no problem.
Problems come when someone wants to impose principles exclusively based upon one's faith on those who do not share it.

Agree. With the exception of Shia Islam, where one is supposed to follow a Cleric's rule, I dont see how how democracy is incompatible with Islam.

If your thinking of Saudia as the ideal country where pure islamic law is implemented everywhere, they you're wrong. No where does it say in Islam that a despot must rule.

As for minorities who are not muslim, I don't think giving them full rights as muslims in a muslim nation is such a blasphemous act against Islam, and it can be quite possible.

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 17:52

There is no such thing.

are you sure?

Yes, I'm sure. That would be really ridiculous.

Do I agree about other things?

I can understand you. You live in Iran. Iran is ruled by fundamentalists.

And they claim that we act according to Islam. That's why you hate Islam.

But I think "true" Islam is compatible with democracy.

Date Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 11:16

so the army giving the government an ultimatum to leave or else isnt a coup????

Well, gotta make the difference between an ultimatum and a coup..It is referred as a post-modern coup,but cannot be called totally as a coup, as there hadn't been a total military intervention...Just an ultimatum and the government had to resign.It would have been a coup if the parliament was shut down and military had got the administraton.

anyway, if its democracy, then why did the army force the government to leave?

Things are a bit different in Turkey..Army, who has been a major force in foundation of the republic, is considered as its guardian.And when some governments try to do some acts threatening a Republican Turkey, army intervenes for protection of the republic, like in that significant example.

and didnt ataturk's successor (or himself, dont quite remember) ban islamic parties from even forming?? maybe thats why.

Atatürk's successor was İsmet İnönü, and he was the man who brought full democracy to Turkey in 1946 by allowing other parties to be founded.

Atatürk had made the same attempt for two times but the parties founded had been the bases for reactionary and anti-republican groups and had unfortunately been shut down due to that fact

infact, there was something on bbc news a while ago that was talking about how religous muslims want turkey to be less liberal, for example banning alcohol and other things....

I am personally a Muslim either but I drink alcohol...It is person's freedom to do whatever he/she wants to...You can't impose it, it is their own choice..If someone drinks, it's his own choice, if not, that's another choice..

the fact of the matter is that, by providing the turkish model as evidence, it is clear that democracy and liberalism can only come from fighting islam.

Not really, it hasn't been in that way in Turkey...It is not fighting Islam, but fighting the people who doesn't believe in secularism and is trying by force to impose their ideology on other people, like in Iran...

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 11:20

There is no such thing.

are you sure?

Yes, I'm sure. That would be really ridiculous.

Do I agree about other things?

I can understand you. You live in Iran. Iran is ruled by fundamentalists.

And they claim that we act according to Islam. That's why you hate Islam.

But I think "true" Islam is compatible with democracy.

i dont live in iran, and i wasnt raised in iran.

i live in the GREAT USA!!!

and i hate all religions. i believe religions hare corrupt and a form of control over the masses for people who want power.

so, are avoiding the other facts i listed. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 11:22

I am personally a Muslim either but I drink alcohol...It is person's freedom to do whatever he/she wants to...You can't impose it, it is their own choice..If someone drinks, it's his own choice, if not, that's another choice....

we need more muslims like you.

-------------

Posted By: Moustafa Pasha
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 21:56

After the death of Prophet Mohamad,Peace be upon him,The first Rightly Guided Caliphs (successors) of Arabia were elected in the following order:Abou Bakr al-Siddik,Omar ibn al-Khattab,Osman Abou Affan and Ali Ibn Abi-Talib who was assassinated on the order of Moaawya Ibn Abou Sufian who declared himself Caliph and ruled from Damascus adopting the Byzantine custom of heredidetary monarchy. So democracy was known to the Arabs but absolute monarchy was copied from the Christian west.

For many centuries the Caliphs held secular and temporal powers and were called"Amir El Mouominin" or Leader of the blievers. What has happned since is that a number of countries have separated the secular from the temporal power thus becoming more democratic.

Some  good examples of Islamic democratic counties are Turkey,Bosnia Herzegovina,Malaysia,Indonesia,Egypt  etc.

Posted By: flyingzone
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 22:09

To answer the question: Are Islam and democracy really compatible? Just check out this thread:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10159&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10159&am p;PN=1

I think it says it all.

-------------

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 23:38
Oh yes, you are right flyingzone. One of the very important fact for democracy is faith freedom, which doesn't be supported in Islam. Many Muslims claim people are free to choose their faith( in this forum too), but we all know the truth.

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 23:56
Originally posted by flyingzone

To answer the question: Are Islam and democracy really compatible? Just check out this thread:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10159&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10159&am p;am p;PN=1

I think it says it all.

Not quite. It is one case from a country. According to the link from Maju's post, "Conservatives still dominate the Afghan judiciary".

-------------

Posted By: Rajput
Date Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 15:05

who says they're not coming around to the concept of democracy? See for yourself... 

Lahme = Meat

http://www.youtube.com/w/Arab-meat-%28lahme%29-song?v=XFxll8LiR1I&search=lahme - http://www.youtube.com/w/Arab-meat-%28lahme%29-song?v=XFxll8 LiR1I&search=lahme

-------------

“If God did not create the horse, he would not have created the Rajput.”

Posted By: barbar
Date Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 23:22

Turkey,Malaysia are good examples in this, the harmony of Islam and democracy..

Are you kidding? Turkey isn't fully democratic. This is just because she has some unfair policies towards religious population.

Islamic country surely can be democratic, you can take Malaysia or Pakistan( Before Musharaf) for example, but never Turkey, at least until now.

-------------
Either make a history or become a history.

Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 00:04

turkey is not an example of a muslim democratic country.

firstly, like barbar said, they arent a full democracy, secondly, religous people are not tolerated in turkey. so turkey would be an example of how a country has to fight islam in order to be secular.

but malaysia is a good example of democracy and islam, althought not completely either.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 00:35

If voting rights, seperation of church and state, consent of the majority and citizen involvement in state affairs directly or via representation are not reflective of a democracy then what is? Turkey has all that.

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

firstly, like barbar said, they arent a full democracy, secondly, religous people are not tolerated in turkey. so turkey would be an example of how a country has to fight islam in order to be secular.

The mind of a true scholar. Simplifying an arguement with broad generalizations. I guess Turkey is full of automatons with no religion then.

All religions are tolerated in a multi religious country such as Turkey. Citizens have abundant mosques, churches and synygogs to practice as much as they like. A dress code is stipulated at state offices and university levels. However, that has eased up since Erdogan has been Prime Minister. Unfortunately, because the pendulum has shifted in the other direction. Now breaks at prayer times are abundant in governmental jobs. Sounds good unless you're not an avid moslem. Such interuptions are encouraged by conservative religious staff management in post offices, banks, etc. where non-conservative muslims are discriminated against. This is against Ataturk's and the secular republic's laik identity. No problem for individuals who pray at work, just do not demand it and close shop in the middle of the day to do it if you work for the government. But this is the very behavior that has been going on in Erdogan's AKP version of democracy. This is the very type of usurpation that Turkey has been dealing with and has been trying to safegueard the citizens from!

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 02:12

Originally posted by Moustafa Pasha

Some  good examples of Islamic democratic counties are Turkey,Bosnia Herzegovina,Malaysia,Indonesia,Egypt  etc.

Egypt is not Islamic - let alone democratic.

The Muslim Brotherhood is not tolerated, and Al Azhar (the highest religious authority) is paralyzed by the government. 

They've had the same government for the past 25 years, and the current president is pushing for his son to inherit the presidency.  (Thanks to the Assads of Syria, others have learned how to get around the system to allow for the inheritance of the presidency in a so-called republic.)

Mubarak's opponent from the last elections, Ayman Nour, is in jail for alleged forgery.  I don't know if this sounds belivable to you; but Mubarak supposedly received 89% of the votes.  (Reminds me of Saddam receiving 99.9% of the votes, lol.)

I don't know if I'd call that a democracy.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 14:38
Originally posted by Seko

If voting rights, seperation of church and state, consent of the majority and citizen involvement in state affairs directly or via representation are not reflective of a democracy then what is? Turkey has all that.

no, that is not democracy, that is secularism.

democracy is freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of press, freedom of religion, etc... turkey is not fully democratic because it has limited alot of the freedoms, like freedom of speech.

that is why the EU and the USA are still some what critical of turkey on the democracy issue.

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

The mind of a true scholar. Simplifying an arguement with broad generalizations. I guess Turkey is full of automatons with no religion then.

[/quote]

is it not true that turkey became secular by fighting islam? wasnt ataturk the one who blamed islam for turkey's defeat and vowed to westernise?

the majority of turks are very religious muslims, that is true, but the foundations of turkey were built with an anti islamic attitude.

All religions are tolerated in a multi religious country such as Turkey. Citizens have abundant mosques, churches and synygogs to practice as much as they like. A dress code is stipulated at state offices and university levels. However, that has eased up since Erdogan has been Prime Minister. Unfortunately, because the pendulum has shifted in the other direction. Now breaks at prayer times are abundant in governmental jobs. Sounds good unless you're not an avid moslem. Such interuptions are encouraged by conservative religious staff management in post offices, banks, etc. where non-conservative muslims are discriminated against. This is against Ataturk's and the secular republic's laik identity. No problem for individuals who pray at work, just do not demand it and close shop in the middle of the day to do it if you work for the government. But this is the very behavior that has been going on in Erdogan's AKP version of democracy. This is the very type of usurpation that Turkey has been dealing with and has been trying to safegueard the citizens from!

christians werent even allowed to build churches in turkey until 2003! you call that freedom of religion?

and the dress codes imposed on people in government buildings and universities are discriminatory against muslims, and you are trying to tell me that turkey is a full democracy?

you are so disillusioned.

yes turkey is better than a lot of the other muslim countries when it comes to democracy, and much much better when it comes to secularism, but you have to admit that turkey is not the best example.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 15:18

Of course freedom of speech is allowed you ninny. Otherwise, Turkey wouldn't have the serious news and 'trash-gossip' magazines galore that it does. Protests in Turkey are more abundant then I have seen in the US. The people always demonstrate their rights. The main constraint is that police do not abuse their jobs and that the protestors do not act contrary to the law.

Turkey became secular by implementing the Swiss, Italian and French codes of law into their constitution. The National Congress votes on them and amends them as needed.

Ataturk was against foreign dominance and religious laws affecting the government. He expanded on rights of farmers, women, villagers, and created state subsidies. These are a few among many of the things he had done.

Churches have not been given a fair shake by certain governmental municipalities. That is true. The Churches already in use have not been affected. They still welcome practicing whorshippers. Whether the limited numbers has to do with limited followers of a certain faith or blackballing by various local agencies is a viable line of reasoning which could be debated.

I may be disillusioned and biased but I have alot more knowledge of the country then you do. I don't hoot from the hip. I have experince with what I am talking about.

Is Turkey done progressing as a nation? Of course not. Does it have its share of disgruntled citizens? For sure. Does this mean that it lacks a democracy and that it is against religous people or institutions? No.

-------------

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 15:33

firstly, like barbar said, they arent a full democracy, secondly, religous people are not tolerated in turkey.

This is a huge overstatement. Turkey's problems with religious people aren't anywhere near as bad as its problems with other groups such as Kurds.

but malaysia is a good example of democracy and islam, althought not completely either.

Malaysia is less democratic than Turkey is.

-------------

Posted By: Mila
Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 15:36
I think Turkey is more of an Islamic equivalent of the United
States. You still have religious power and influence on the
government, and you still have religious citizens (and a few
fanatics), but it's a delicate balance because people are
sensitive. They don't want to think their government is attacking
religion.

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 16:10

Of course freedom of speech is allowed you ninny. Otherwise, Turkey wouldn't have the serious news and 'trash-gossip' magazines galore that it does. Protests in Turkey are more abundant then I have seen in the US. The people always demonstrate their rights. The main constraint is that police do not abuse their jobs and that the protestors do not act contrary to the law.

Turkey became secular by implementing the Swiss, Italian and French codes of law into their constitution. The National Congress votes on them and amends them as needed.

Ataturk was against foreign dominance and religious laws affecting the government. He expanded on rights of farmers, women, villagers, and created state subsidies. These are a few among many of the things he had done.

Churches have not been given a fair shake by certain governmental municipalities. That is true. The Churches already in use have not been affected. They still welcome practicing whorshippers. Whether the limited numbers has to do with limited followers of a certain faith or blackballing by various local agencies is a viable line of reasoning which could be debated.

I may be disillusioned and biased but I have alot more knowledge of the country then you do. I don't hoot from the hip. I have experince with what I am talking about.

Is Turkey done progressing as a nation? Of course not. Does it have its share of disgruntled citizens? For sure. Does this mean that it lacks a democracy and that it is against religous people or institutions? No.

turkey does not have full freedom of speech and you know that.  what about "insulting turkish dignity law"?

you call that freedom of speech? there are many topics that are not allowed in turkey.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 18:14

There is a law in the US state that I live in that goes back to the 1800's. In essence one should not use profanity in public and especially in front of children. It is archaeic and old fahioned yet some poor soul was actually successfully prosecuted because of it and was fined.

There are laws in Turkey that protect the republic and some areas are not allowed without consequences. Each country has that right. I would like to see reporting in certain provinces of Turkey less restricted and open to public scrutiny. Thhis and other issues need progress. So yes, Turkey still has a way to go.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 02:17

If the Turkish Parliament's decision not to allow the US to invade Iraq through Turkey wasn't an issue of democracy, I don't know what is.

The Turkish government gave in to public pressure, which only means that public opinion in Turkey does matter.  Whereas in the US and the UK, thousands had taken part in anti-war demonstrations, but their respective "elected" governments have nevertheless gone to war, ignoring the peoples' protests.

I prefer the Turkish example of democracy.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 04:05

It's not that simple. Turkish government was not willing to allow US to invade Iraq though Turkey, just it couldn't directly reject the request, and used democtracy as a tool, as the government was aware well the result will comply with the government dicision.

Anyway, Is Turkish government willing to held a national vote towards the Turban policy? I'm pretty sure about the result.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 06:53

Would France do it?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:08

Turkey, as i have said before, is a semi democracy.

it has many democratic aspects, but it also has its dictatorial aspects.

for example, the military in turkey has more say in the government than the president! the last coup was in 1996.  turkey is half democracy, half military state.

the military has a lot of say, and a lot of times it forces its own opinions on the democratically elected government.  and turks have even told me that the people in turkey believe what ever the military tells them.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:25
The military is a big inlfuence due to having its position in the country's national security council. I would like the military to contnue this presence and influence in Turkey since it is a balance to various political parties that verge off the desired secularist path, Turkish style.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 23:20
Originally posted by Mira

Would France do it?

France's case is totally different from that of Turkey's. Muslims there are minorities, democtratically French government can approve any harmful policies towards Muslims. So what should these people do? Simply fighting for their right (Surely in peaceful way)! Can you say they are anti-democratic? NO!

i don't think democracy is the perfect system, but at least it meets with the needs of the majoriey. I believe some policies are democtractically achieved at the sake of the minority benifits, in this case there should be some complementary systems.

I can say a policy which doesn't meet the needs of the majority as non-democratic. Can't I?

-------------

Posted By: Moustafa Pasha
Date Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 23:08

Islam and democracy are only compatible in a Secular State. I stronly believe that religion should be separete from the state. My definition of an Islamic State is that the majority of its citizens are moslems ruled and protected by a constitution that guarantees every individual freedom of speech,religion ,press and protection of property.In other words a democratic secular state ruled on the principles of separation of powers and governed by law and order.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 08:16
Kapikulu wrote:
I am personally a Muslim either but I drink alcohol...It is person's freedom to do whatever he/she wants to...You can't impose it, it is their own choice..If someone drinks, it's his own choice, if not, that's another choice....

And How do you pray while your mind is corrupted!

with all respect , we don't need muslims like you.

Posted By: Richard XIII
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 08:26
If Kapikulu drink is his problem with God and his wife (more dangerous).

-------------
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 08:34

Turkey has a long way to be considered a proper democracy.It has many problems with it's minorities,which are not represented in the Turkish parliament and in fact the only language permitted in Turkish TV ,a few years ago , was Turkish.It contuasly persecutes the Patriarchate of Constantinople,illegally capturing it's properties while allowing the Grey Wolves to blaspheme the Patriarch.It's a State "a la Turka" ,meaning that there was no chance of those assholes to reach the Patriarch in a very close distance,which happened 3 times this year, and damn him and his religion ,if the State was not secretly in favor of it.On the other hand ,the white cages for political prisoners are still there and the Army has a very strong presence.Actually ,there are many suspicions of Turkish Generals who were involved in smuggling drugs through the Army during the operations against PKK.

The whole situation saw some changes in the last years,because of it's will to enter EU.If it was not the EU,i doubt if there would be any.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 09:12
Originally posted by HeilHim

Kapikulu wrote:

And How do you pray while your mind is corrupted!

with all respect , we don't need muslims like you.

Of course I don't go to pray at the same time I drink alcohol...

But it is between God and me, neither the state, nor any other person, has right to get involved into that.

And What we are discussing here is not "how much" a Muslim you are, but your point of view 

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Posted By: shayan
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 11:12
I dont think shia islam and democracy cant go hand in hand... And opression is sometimes the best way to get a seculair state (ata turk was the best thing that happened to Turkey in the last age) We need the same in Iran.

-------------
Iran parast

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 12:30
We did have Reza shah in Iran who was of the same frame of mind, but he was deposed by the Anglo-Russian invasion.

Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 13:10

what were Reza shah's plans for future Iran?

-------------

Posted By: shayan
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 14:06
He had the same ideas as Ata Turk didnt he?

-------------
Iran parast

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 19:40

Islam is a religion.

Muslims are the followers of the religion.

Democracy is a style of governance.

If we look at this objectively, Islam teaches equal rights, freedom of speach, the importance of technology, knowledge and being advanced aswell as science etc etc

Its interesting as most of what Islam preache's doesn't contradict with Democracy, I mean the Welfare State, benefit's to the poor and needy, shelter to the homeless, good healthcare are actually key aspects.

I don't understand where alot of these extremely backwards people are comming from in their weird interpretations, they ignore all this and turn it into a power crazed oppressive form of governing.

If we look at history alot of the Muslim world has actually gone backwards, the governance of prior Islamic State's could infact be considered a Democracy or Semi-Democracy today.

A big misunderstanding is the notion that AtaTurk outlawed Islam and was oppressive to Muslims.

He was responsible for translating the Qur'an to Turkish so that the Turkish population could actually read and understand their religion.   He distributed Qur'an's and religous material for free.

Its actually quite amazing, his views on Islam was that it benefited society and he wanted what was actually writting to be taught.

This is the side of AtaTurk which unfortunately has not been told, it could act as a role-model in the Muslim world.

The backwards clerics who attempted to use the religion were banned and their power stripped, they rebelled and many were defeated and left Turkey and invented these stories that he was oppressing Muslims etc

He actually to my knowledge allowed the average folk to understand their religion, started up University Faculties for people to study Islam in a proper environment making sure what was taught was actually what Islam teaches etc

Well this is what a few Turks have told me, maybe somebody who understands TUrkish could translate some of the below for us it would be very interesting to know because if as is commongly thought AtaTurk actually wan't oppressive against Muslims his reforms should be studied deeply again.

http://www.bilimarastirmavakfi.org/izinde/ata3.html - http://www.bilimarastirmavakfi.org/izinde/ata3.html

p.s I have visited Turkey, I saw woman with traditional headscarves walking around freely, even headscarved and non-headscarved woman holding hands talking as friends which I found sweet and impressive as it seems the average society is quite tolerant and doesn't mind?

maybe the Turks here could enlighten us a bit more.

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Posted By: PrznKonectoid
Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 21:58
Yes there can be an, Islamic Democracy. However I find an Islamic democracy, or any type of Islamic gov't period, very disturbing. Not that Chrisitian is any better, but right now we're discussing Islam.

Case and Poin: Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is and Islamic country and a democracy. Yet, about a month ago they all wanted to kill a man because he converted from Islam to Christianity. That is very barbaric. However, in Islamic tradition this is acceptable. And the people voted, democractically, for a gov't that supported these laws and traditions.

Only a secular, constitutional gov't, where specific universal human rights are given, can guarantee human rights.

Of course you can ramble on in theory about how religion and gov't can co-exist, however in practice it rarely if ever works, from the inquistition to the modern day Islamic barbarism of gov'ts like Afghanistan and Iran.

Religion and Politics DONT MIX!

-------------
Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com - http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com