Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Islam and democracy compatible really

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Islam and democracy compatible really
    Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 15:36
I think Turkey is more of an Islamic equivalent of the United
States. You still have religious power and influence on the
government, and you still have religious citizens (and a few
fanatics), but it's a delicate balance because people are
sensitive. They don't want to think their government is attacking
religion.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 16:10
Originally posted by Seko

Of course freedom of speech is allowed you ninny. Otherwise, Turkey wouldn't have the serious news and 'trash-gossip' magazines galore that it does. Protests in Turkey are more abundant then I have seen in the US. The people always demonstrate their rights. The main constraint is that police do not abuse their jobs and that the protestors do not act contrary to the law.

Turkey became secular by implementing the Swiss, Italian and French codes of law into their constitution. The National Congress votes on them and amends them as needed.

Ataturk was against foreign dominance and religious laws affecting the government. He expanded on rights of farmers, women, villagers, and created state subsidies. These are a few among many of the things he had done.

Churches have not been given a fair shake by certain governmental municipalities. That is true. The Churches already in use have not been affected. They still welcome practicing whorshippers. Whether the limited numbers has to do with limited followers of a certain faith or blackballing by various local agencies is a viable line of reasoning which could be debated.

I may be disillusioned and biased but I have alot more knowledge of the country then you do. I don't hoot from the hip. I have experince with what I am talking about.

Is Turkey done progressing as a nation? Of course not. Does it have its share of disgruntled citizens? For sure. Does this mean that it lacks a democracy and that it is against religous people or institutions? No.

turkey does not have full freedom of speech and you know that.  what about "insulting turkish dignity law"?

you call that freedom of speech? there are many topics that are not allowed in turkey.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 18:14

There is a law in the US state that I live in that goes back to the 1800's. In essence one should not use profanity in public and especially in front of children. It is archaeic and old fahioned yet some poor soul was actually successfully prosecuted because of it and was fined.

There are laws in Turkey that protect the republic and some areas are not allowed without consequences. Each country has that right. I would like to see reporting in certain provinces of Turkey less restricted and open to public scrutiny. Thhis and other issues need progress. So yes, Turkey still has a way to go.

Edited by Seko
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 02:17

If the Turkish Parliament's decision not to allow the US to invade Iraq through Turkey wasn't an issue of democracy, I don't know what is.

The Turkish government gave in to public pressure, which only means that public opinion in Turkey does matter.  Whereas in the US and the UK, thousands had taken part in anti-war demonstrations, but their respective "elected" governments have nevertheless gone to war, ignoring the peoples' protests.

I prefer the Turkish example of democracy.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 04:05

It's not that simple. Turkish government was not willing to allow US to invade Iraq though Turkey, just it couldn't directly reject the request, and used democtracy as a tool, as the government was aware well the result will comply with the government dicision.

Anyway, Is Turkish government willing to held a national vote towards the Turban policy? I'm pretty sure about the result.

Either make a history or become a history.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 06:53

Would France do it?

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:08

Turkey, as i have said before, is a semi democracy.

it has many democratic aspects, but it also has its dictatorial aspects.

for example, the military in turkey has more say in the government than the president! the last coup was in 1996.  turkey is half democracy, half military state.

the military has a lot of say, and a lot of times it forces its own opinions on the democratically elected government.  and turks have even told me that the people in turkey believe what ever the military tells them.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:25
The military is a big inlfuence due to having its position in the country's national security council. I would like the military to contnue this presence and influence in Turkey since it is a balance to various political parties that verge off the desired secularist path, Turkish style.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 23:20
Originally posted by Mira

Would France do it?

France's case is totally different from that of Turkey's. Muslims there are minorities, democtratically French government can approve any harmful policies towards Muslims. So what should these people do? Simply fighting for their right (Surely in peaceful way)! Can you say they are anti-democratic? NO!

i don't think democracy is the perfect system, but at least it meets with the needs of the majoriey. I believe some policies are democtractically achieved at the sake of the minority benifits, in this case there should be some complementary systems.

I can say a policy which doesn't meet the needs of the majority as non-democratic. Can't I?

Either make a history or become a history.
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 23:08

Islam and democracy are only compatible in a Secular State. I stronly believe that religion should be separete from the state. My definition of an Islamic State is that the majority of its citizens are moslems ruled and protected by a constitution that guarantees every individual freedom of speech,religion ,press and protection of property.In other words a democratic secular state ruled on the principles of separation of powers and governed by law and order.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 08:16
Kapikulu wrote:
I am personally a Muslim either but I drink alcohol...It is person's freedom to do whatever he/she wants to...You can't impose it, it is their own choice..If someone drinks, it's his own choice, if not, that's another choice....

we need more muslims like you.

And How do you pray while your mind is corrupted!

with all respect , we don't need muslims like you.

Edited by HeilHim
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 08:26
If Kapikulu drink is his problem with God and his wife (more dangerous).
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 08:34

Turkey has a long way to be considered a proper democracy.It has many problems with it's minorities,which are not represented in the Turkish parliament and in fact the only language permitted in Turkish TV ,a few years ago , was Turkish.It contuasly persecutes the Patriarchate of Constantinople,illegally capturing it's properties while allowing the Grey Wolves to blaspheme the Patriarch.It's a State "a la Turka" ,meaning that there was no chance of those assholes to reach the Patriarch in a very close distance,which happened 3 times this year, and damn him and his religion ,if the State was not secretly in favor of it.On the other hand ,the white cages for political prisoners are still there and the Army has a very strong presence.Actually ,there are many suspicions of Turkish Generals who were involved in smuggling drugs through the Army during the operations against PKK.

The whole situation saw some changes in the last years,because of it's will to enter EU.If it was not the EU,i doubt if there would be any.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 09:12
Originally posted by HeilHim

Kapikulu wrote:
I am personally a Muslim either but I drink alcohol...It is person's freedom to do whatever he/she wants to...You can't impose it, it is their own choice..If someone drinks, it's his own choice, if not, that's another choice....

we need more muslims like you.

And How do you pray while your mind is corrupted!

with all respect , we don't need muslims like you.

Of course I don't go to pray at the same time I drink alcohol...

But it is between God and me, neither the state, nor any other person, has right to get involved into that.

And What we are discussing here is not "how much" a Muslim you are, but your point of view 

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 11:12
I dont think shia islam and democracy cant go hand in hand... And opression is sometimes the best way to get a seculair state (ata turk was the best thing that happened to Turkey in the last age) We need the same in Iran.

Edited by shayan
Iran parast
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 12:30
We did have Reza shah in Iran who was of the same frame of mind, but he was deposed by the Anglo-Russian invasion.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 13:10

what were Reza shah's plans for future Iran?

shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 14:06
He had the same ideas as Ata Turk didnt he?
Iran parast
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 19:40

Islam is a religion.

Muslims are the followers of the religion.

Democracy is a style of governance.

If we look at this objectively, Islam teaches equal rights, freedom of speach, the importance of technology, knowledge and being advanced aswell as science etc etc

Its interesting as most of what Islam preache's doesn't contradict with Democracy, I mean the Welfare State, benefit's to the poor and needy, shelter to the homeless, good healthcare are actually key aspects.

I don't understand where alot of these extremely backwards people are comming from in their weird interpretations, they ignore all this and turn it into a power crazed oppressive form of governing.

If we look at history alot of the Muslim world has actually gone backwards, the governance of prior Islamic State's could infact be considered a Democracy or Semi-Democracy today.

A big misunderstanding is the notion that AtaTurk outlawed Islam and was oppressive to Muslims.

He was responsible for translating the Qur'an to Turkish so that the Turkish population could actually read and understand their religion.   He distributed Qur'an's and religous material for free.

Its actually quite amazing, his views on Islam was that it benefited society and he wanted what was actually writting to be taught.

This is the side of AtaTurk which unfortunately has not been told, it could act as a role-model in the Muslim world.

The backwards clerics who attempted to use the religion were banned and their power stripped, they rebelled and many were defeated and left Turkey and invented these stories that he was oppressing Muslims etc

He actually to my knowledge allowed the average folk to understand their religion, started up University Faculties for people to study Islam in a proper environment making sure what was taught was actually what Islam teaches etc

Well this is what a few Turks have told me, maybe somebody who understands TUrkish could translate some of the below for us it would be very interesting to know because if as is commongly thought AtaTurk actually wan't oppressive against Muslims his reforms should be studied deeply again.

http://www.bilimarastirmavakfi.org/izinde/ata3.html

p.s I have visited Turkey, I saw woman with traditional headscarves walking around freely, even headscarved and non-headscarved woman holding hands talking as friends which I found sweet and impressive as it seems the average society is quite tolerant and doesn't mind?

maybe the Turks here could enlighten us a bit more.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 21:58
Yes there can be an, Islamic Democracy. However I find an Islamic democracy, or any type of Islamic gov't period, very disturbing. Not that Chrisitian is any better, but right now we're discussing Islam.

Case and Poin: Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is and Islamic country and a democracy. Yet, about a month ago they all wanted to kill a man because he converted from Islam to Christianity. That is very barbaric. However, in Islamic tradition this is acceptable. And the people voted, democractically, for a gov't that supported these laws and traditions.

Only a secular, constitutional gov't, where specific universal human rights are given, can guarantee human rights.

Of course you can ramble on in theory about how religion and gov't can co-exist, however in practice it rarely if ever works, from the inquistition to the modern day Islamic barbarism of gov'ts like Afghanistan and Iran.

Religion and Politics DONT MIX!
Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>