Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Islam and democracy compatible really

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Islam and democracy compatible really
    Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 01:23
I believe that Islam is compatible with democracy. It all depends on a muslims upbringing. If youa re brought up in a fundamnetalist state where ISlam controls most everything, then it may be ahrd for Islam in that country to be compatible with democracy.

Yet, there are many muslims in America today, and I've never really seen any issue with them and democracy. For the most they live and take part in the same political process that I do. They are still muslim, and they believe strongly in Islam, but also believe strongly in democracy. So, in many cases, I think that Islam is compatible with democracy.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 16:22

Originally posted by strategos

And how many Christian countries were ruled by democracy in 1600's?
Can I get a check on todays date?

Originally posted by prsn41ife

its the year 2006. if you are comparing muslim countries to that of europeans ones in teh 1600's, then you prove my point.

Strategos and Prsn4life, drawing the same conclusion of my example as other forumers did is not so difficult.
Christianity existed in 1600's and Christianity exist today in 2006. If you are living in 1600's and you said that "look at those Christian autocratic and crusading states, Christianity is not compatible with democracy" it will be as plain igorant, naiive, and simple-vision as saying today and standing with many non-democratic Muslim countries that Islam is not compitable with democracy.  Understand now?

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:10
Originally posted by ok ge

And how many Christian countries were ruled by democracy in 1600's?
Can I get a check on todays date?

its the year 2006. if you are comparing muslim countries to that of europeans ones in teh 1600's, then you prove my point.

Strategos and Prsn4life, drawing the same conclusion of my example as other forumers did is not so difficult.
Christianity existed in 1600's and Christianity exist today in 2006. If you are living in 1600's and you said that "look at those Christian autocratic and crusading states, Christianity is not compatible with democracy" it will be as plain igorant, naiive, and simple-vision as saying today and standing with many non-democratic Muslim countries that Islam is not compitable with democracy.  Understand now?

what are you talking? it is the year 2006, 1600's was a different era! today, the muslim nations have no excuse for not being democracy!

look what has happened in egypt and palestine, islamic radicals quickly take control.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:20

what are you talking? it is the year 2006, 1600's was a different era! today, the muslim nations have no excuse for not being democracy!

look what has happened in egypt and palestine, islamic radicals quickly take control.

Wither they have an excuse or not, it does not give you or anyone here the right to push the blame to religion and it is clear that doing so is definitely a twisted presentation as I explained in my example.

Now, you talk about it as if the Middle East is isolated from the outside world. You seem unknowledgable about the fact that the delimma of democracy in the middle east is also a by-product of the "democratic " West!!

Was Shah of Iran a democracy? No. But he was supported by the United States. Who supported Saddam too before 1990 invasin of kuwait? Who helped Qadafi to take control except the American base in Tripoli. Even if you want to talk about Saudi Arabia, who supported King Abdul Aziz except Britain?

You seem to be living abroad and away from the Middle East. So I guess you can watch the new movie Syriana. Though it is not a documentary movie, but you will get the idea. This is not an idea produced here in the Middle East to throw the blame out. It is an accepted fact even by Westerners themselves.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:26

i have seen syriana.

your argument is sensible, i agree, the west hasnt been too benevolent. egypt was a dictatorship anyway, all the countries in the middle east were dictatorships so the west supporting another dictator doesnt make a difference.

the only exception here is Iran, in which there was a democracy. the USA apologised and admitted its mistaken overthrowing mossadegh in 2000.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:40

your argument is sensible, i agree, the west hasnt been too benevolent. egypt was a dictatorship anyway, all the countries in the middle east were dictatorships so the west supporting another dictator doesnt make a difference.

Well, there was a constitution, political parties, free press, and a parliment in the Kingdom of Hijaz after the WWI.  Britian decided to support King Abdul Aziz just to serve its interest. So it gives signals to all citizens in that region and till now that Western powers don't mind supporting a non-democratic choice if it means securing their interest.

After the 1990 Gulf War, Bush the father came on TV encouraging Iraqis to revolt against Saddam and promised them support. Guess what? they revolted and the United States, the winning side in the war, was just watching the failed revolt against the tyranny and the butcher of Shia in the south and the Kurds in the north and finally they put the no-fly zone areas.

Of course, this argument if it is expanded to include the rest of the world, it will become inevitable to observe many examples were actually democratic choices were removed and dictatorships were installed as in Greece coup and Chili.

D.J. Kaufman
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:54
yes, as i said, i agree with you that the west has made mistakes. 
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 20:12

Well, there was a constitution, political parties, free press, and a parliment in the Kingdom of Hijaz after the WWI.  Britian decided to support King Abdul Aziz just to serve its interest. So it gives signals to all citizens in that region and till now that Western powers don't mind supporting a non-democratic choice if it means securing their interest.

After the 1990 Gulf War, Bush the father came on TV encouraging Iraqis to revolt against Saddam and promised them support. Guess what? they revolted and the United States, the winning side in the war, was just watching the failed revolt against the tyranny and the butcher of Shia in the south and the Kurds in the north and finally they put the no-fly zone areas.

Of course, this argument if it is expanded to include the rest of the world, it will become inevitable to observe many examples were actually democratic choices were removed and dictatorships were installed as in Greece coup and Chili.

We have all pointed out that neither west nor muslim world are perfect, but I believe the west is headed in the better direction

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 21:43

yes, as i said, i agree with you that the west has made mistakes. 

Mistakes? The west is just a bunch of olygarchically directed "republics" that have the objective interests of the corporation that rule them.

Said that, the same corporations rule non-democratic countries equally. So it's always better that you are allowed to cry foul.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 01:17

We have all pointed out that neither west nor muslim world are perfect, but I believe the west is headed in the better direction

Ok. Then Im glad you saw the big difference between "Islam" and "Muslims". Having said that, I guess then your second observation that Muslims are behind the West. Well not all, but most and truly behind the West. Reasons? we can discuss that in any form.

However, my previous objection was to blame Islam in a general statement as you made earlier. Christianity and Islam existed before and exist today.  Christian world went from advancement to decline to advancement again.  Civiliazation raise and fall. As it is not fair to blame Christianity for the decline in medival ages of Europe and the massacres done by its name, it is also unfair to point in the same direction to Islam.

D.J. Kaufman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 03:28

Christian world went from advancement to decline to advancement again.  Civiliazation raise and fall. 

That's not true: Classical World declined with the rise of Christianity and Europe arose only by fighting and destroying Christianity. Abrahmanic beliefs are destructive always: they don't accept reality only their "Word".

"At the beginning it was the Word..."

Blah-blah-blah...

I say that at the beginning it was the fact or maybe the will or the love but not "the Word". The word is just reflexive: it names what exists in matter or idea... it has no power of itself unless you want to decieve and seduce.

Unless you want to sell Bibles and tell tales...

And this is a truth of the size of the Himalaya and the depth of the Ocean.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 03:40

Originally posted by Maju

That's not true: Classical World declined with the rise of Christianity and Europe arose only by fighting and destroying Christianity. Abrahmanic beliefs are destructive always: they don't accept reality only their "Word".

I think you are right on this. Christianity practices in Europe went against science at the begining. Something that most early Muslims did not face regarding science. Therefore, a lot of Muslims wont' know that religion can stand against science sometimes.

D.J. Kaufman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 09:04

I think you are right on this. Christianity practices in Europe went against science at the begining. Something that most early Muslims did not face regarding science. Therefore, a lot of Muslims wont' know that religion can stand against science sometimes.

While it's true that Islam was less rigid towards (most) science and philosophy initially, it has eventually become very conservative. Apparently this happened since the Mongol destruction of Bagdad... but the trend was present even before.

You can be religious and scientific but you must give priority to either one, so when they neter in conflict you know which one has priority. A society based in religion, unless it is a very flexible and non-dogmatic one, will always find science and philosophy dangerous for their dogma and taboos.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 17:24

You can be religious and scientific but you must give priority to either one, so when they neter in conflict you know which one has priority.

Well, that is the precise point I was talking about. Most Westerners will fail to understand that for Muslims, religion (Quran and Sunnah) has not posed a conflict to science.

Now most Muslims know that early centruries of Islam are characterized by religious awakening and religious conservatism. However, science flourished much better during those centuries than later centuries. Therefore, there is no correlation between religious conservatism and science acceptance, at least in the Muslim world.

The change that occured is people reaction to science later where they decided to involve religion in matter that should not be in conflict to it. For instance, Fatwas in the Ottoman time of prohibiting printing machines that were discovered in Europe pointing toward fears of Quran manupilation. While Quran is silent about that, those scholars have done a great mistake in their analysis. They used religion for that decision, however, definitely they are not more or less conservative than previous Muslim scientists.

D.J. Kaufman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 21:11

You can be religious and scientific but you must give priority to either one, so when they neter in conflict you know which one has priority.

Well, that is the precise point I was talking about. Most Westerners will fail to understand that for Muslims, religion (Quran and Sunnah) has not posed a conflict to science.

Now most Muslims know that early centruries of Islam are characterized by religious awakening and religious conservatism. However, science flourished much better during those centuries than later centuries. Therefore, there is no correlation between religious conservatism and science acceptance, at least in the Muslim world.

The change that occured is people reaction to science later where they decided to involve religion in matter that should not be in conflict to it. For instance, Fatwas in the Ottoman time of prohibiting printing machines that were discovered in Europe pointing toward fears of Quran manupilation. While Quran is silent about that, those scholars have done a great mistake in their analysis. They used religion for that decision, however, definitely they are not more or less conservative than previous Muslim scientists.

Actually that's the point: weird ultra-conservative ideas with a religious pretension can destroy scientfic advance. For that reason one must be ultra-careful about bringing religion into non-spiritual matters, into society and politics. And definitively, here Islam doesn not make a clear distinction between spirituality (religion) and politics and social uses. Islam is a very political religion and that is danger in itself.

I think also that there is some idealization of the early period of Islam. While it is true that sciences flourished under the tolerant Abbasid Caliphs and other illustrated and tolerant Muslim leaders, it is also true that the outbursts of fanaticism that worked against science and tolerance were present since the begining and eventually, as Islamic society was becoming less Hellenistic and less Persian and more purely Muslim... they became dominant condemning Islam to decadence. Obviously forbidding printing can only be an attempt of restricting the floe of knowledge, typical of a society that fears change...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:07

islam is a system of life to many muslims and it encourage science and learning and knowledge.

dont see how its dangerouse to science !

also the printing  or painting or drawing part is only for living things except plants trees ..etc. and for the sake of learning and knowledge it is i think allowed by many modern scholars. note in the past it was allowed too many scientific works had drawings in them. so painting a living thing for the sake of beautiy and decoration is forbiden in islam.

but anyway there are many muslims in the past which are doing the drawing things for the sake of decoration only. its a sin which is considered one of the (minor) sins. while making pictures of God and the prophet is higher (major) sins since it comes under insulting the religion.

but drawing some living things or not drawing them at all is just a matter how religious a person is. doing so wont change the fact that he/she is still a muslim beliving in the main pillars of Islam ( the 5 pillars) .

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:14
So what you're saying is that Shias and Sunnis are not that different? and even probably the same?

_______
I'm still waiting for a clear respond for Salman Farsi thread.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:34

I think it is a myth that religion has always been detrimental to science and cultural advancement. No doubt the Catholic church halted such advancement but it was more due to ignorance than conspiracy.

The Muslims actually mapped the circular system of the human body. They correctly measured the distance between the Earth and Moon. I also hear they invented Algebra but I also heard the Chinese did. The Muslims also theorized that if an atom was split the energy would destroy a city the size of Baghdad.

The Christians advanced in different areas, in culture. They developed the music language and developed it to what you see today. IN fact, I once read that Islamic music hasnt advanced in hundreds of years but western music has advanced quite well. Before the Renaissance in Italy, there was the Chargolonian renaissance which saw advancement in metalwork and I think it should be said that the Christians were masters at developing beautiful manuscripts. Then we heave a renaissance and I dont think I need to elaborate on that.

Dont get me wrong, Christian religion played a counter productive role in the advancement of science but it was the dark middle ages. In the dark ages especially people were ignorant and still developing a post Romantic world. It isnt as bad as people make it out to be (especially anti religious people).

Overall, the strengths of the religions would, in my own view, have to be defined as followes.

Islam: Strong development in the sciences, great scholarly research (the Greek classics. And thus, the idea of democracy...this is the way in which Europe learned of such concepts) and great architecture.

Christianity: Strong development of culture and refinement. Great architecture (the haiga Sophia was actually built correctly to withstand earth quakes. The architect actually went against the then common thought of making the building heavy and instead made it light).

Edited by Loknar
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 01:03

Originally posted by ramin

So what you're saying is that Shias and Sunnis are not that different? and even probably the same?

_______
I'm still waiting for a clear respond for Salman Farsi thread.

no they are not, if they belive in the 5 pillars of islam then they are muslims, some branches or sectors of shias were considered not muslims by some scholars (sunni ones.

on the other hand some shi'e scholars (imams) also consider sunnis as not muslims.

from both sides the ones who decided who is muslims or not muslims are mostly the ones who usually think "if you dont think like i think then you are kafir" !.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 03:03
would you reminde me with those 5 pillars please. I've forgotten them!
also I think there are another 3 pillars of same sort (Osoole Din?)... i'm not even sure what I'm talking about. Maybe you know it, if not probably shias could help out.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>