Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seyyeds of Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seyyeds of Turkey
    Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 01:22

it shouldn't be important.

and those who say that they are desendant of the prophet are not better muslims or anything. each as per his/her work not by his/her bloodline.

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 14:26
I don't understand why it is that important. Being a descendant of a prophet?
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 10:23

All of you who rwrote that Prophet Mohamed peace be upon him had no children are wrong.

Khadija was the Prophet's first wife and the mother of the only child to survive him,his daughter Fatima Az-Zahra,who married Ali Ibn Abu Talib,the Prophtet's cousin and son in law.

Their descendants are sharifs or Seyyeds. Also the Fatimides Dynasty who ruled Egypt and the Arab world are descendants of Fatima. In Cairo today you can find Sayeda Zeinab's Mosque was  where the  grand daughter of the prophet is buried. The Alaoui Dynasty of Morroco are also Sharifs. King Abdallah II of Jordan is a Hachemite who can claim to be a sharif (descendant of the Prophet).

It is also true that the genalogy tree of the Prophet has been manipulated in some unscrupulos  cases which created tens of thousands of false sharifs. That does not prove that he had no descendants.

Sharifs are nobles and Sayyeds Lords

Edited by Moustafa Pasha
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 11:55

look at the title for this topic.. i dont understand much wht u guys were saying ... lol...

Seyyed.. Sayyid..Seyed... looks like have different ways of spelling and  who this people are actually?

In malaysia... we have some people name "Syed"

I wonder this name is having connection with wht u guys are talking here...
For anyone whose father names is Syed... the son will carry the name also.. for daughter.. Sharifah...

Example:
Syed Indra B. Syed Omar
Sharifah Shakirah Bt. Syed Omar

and i guess.. they are all Sunni...

Just wondering....

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 10:09
Salaamz ok ge,

I hate to disagree with you, but ..

Originally posted by ok ge

I didnt see anyone who justify Khadem Al Haramayn title. But anyhow, It is not an inherited title by birth as Sayyid.  It is a position title as King, Minister, Vasir, or whatever. Notice only the King can be named Khadem Al Haramayn when he reaches the crown.

How does he reach the crown?  He inherits it.  You don't elect the King.

Originally posted by ok ge

Well any title is harmless, either King, Khadem Al Haramayn, Sir, Sayyid. However what is the essense of assuming that title? To point out the descendancy of the prophet. Can you guess why do I need to know that you are a descendant of the prophet? Unless Im suppose to react different to the Sayyid title, there is no point of telling me your blood lineage without asking.

If it is up to me, any title that is exclusive and points out to bloodline lineage is only aimed to extend proudness of that lineage. Something we call in Arabic "Tafakher Bel Ansab" " " and this is definitely at least discourged in Islam. The title is harmless? well maybe for you but in many parts of the world,  people are expected to react different to the title and they glorify the holder of that title just by default. So definitely it serves a purpse either way.

Why is the ruling family in your country, for example, allowed to preserve their family and lineage as royalty, while the descendants of the Prophet (peace be upon Him) and the Hashemites should be discouraged and disallowed from doing so? 

Al Tafakhur bi al-Ansaab is not necessarily un-Islamic.  If it was, as you say, then the Prophet (peace be upon Him) wouldn't have made it one of the "qualities" that a man can look for in a potential wife; "nassab."  It is not Islamic, but it is also not un-Islamic.  It is a cultural characteristic of the Arabs that predates Islam, but was not displaced by it.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 17:05

Originally posted by Mira

Isn't Khadim al-Haramayn an inherited title?  Why make distinction between this and the title of Sayyid, and justify the first but not the latter?

I didnt see anyone who justify Khadem Al Haramayn title. But anyhow, It is not an inherited title by birth as Sayyid.  It is a position title as King, Minister, Vasir, or whatever. Notice only the King can be named Khadem Al Haramayn when he reaches the crown. He cannot get that title by birth, in contrast to Sayyid.  The title as old as the Abbasyd caliphs assumed. The distinction between Khadem Al Haramayn title and Sayyid application can be summerized in two points:

1- Khadem Al Haramayn is earned when the position is reached (to be the king of who is protecting the two holy mosques) in contrast to Sayyid which it is inherited by birth.

2- Khadem Al Haramayn title means custodian of the two holy mosques and and can be attained by any who assume this position regardless of bloodline. Whereas Sayyid is a bloodline title and totally exclusive.

Some people say Khadem Al Haramayn is a title that suppose to de-glorify the King, since it is literally translated as "servant=Khadem", and it serves a reminder of the position and obligation of the king. Al Sayyid title serves only one purpse. You yourself summerized it as:

My point is, I don't see why they can't carry harmless titles that give them no privileges or status above others.  If they can't earn respect, they can at least inherit the title as a 'secular' one, just like the English "Sir," and "Lord," you know?

Well any title is harmless, either King, Khadem Al Haramayn, Sir, Sayyid. However what is the essense of assuming that title? To point out the descendancy of the prophet. Can you guess why do I need to know that you are a descendant of the prophet? Unless Im suppose to react different to the Sayyid title, there is no point of telling me your blood lineage without asking.

If it is up to me, any title that is exclusive and points out to bloodline lineage is only aimed to extend proudness of that lineage. Something we call in Arabic "Tafakher Bel Ansab" " " and this is definitely at least discourged in Islam. The title is harmless? well maybe for you but in many parts of the world,  people are expected to react different to the title and they glorify the holder of that title just by default. So definitely it serves a purpse either way.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 14:22
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Correct me if iam wrong but isnt the wearing of black attire a Shi'a custom
Yes,but it is not execlusive custom,anyone can wear black attire.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 11:57
Correct me if iam wrong but isnt the wearing of black attire a Shi'a custom
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:58
Originally posted by DayI

Isnt it warmer in a black cloth under sun then white? You should try it, see the difference

Lol, a misconception, I guess.  We didn't wear abayyas (black cloak) in school, and it felt exactly the same.  Actually, it's better to wear an abayya.  We get to wear lighter clothes underneath and still preserve our modesty.  It's beautiful, we love it.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:49

I don't know if wearing colored-turbans is imporant, but with respect to your father's astonishment at seeing people wearing black; I think I must tell you, we, women of Arabia, wear black all the time, in all seasons, and it's perfectly OK. 
Isnt it warmer in a black cloth under sun then white? You should try it, see the difference
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:33
I don't know if wearing colored-turbans is imporant, but with respect to your father's astonishment at seeing people wearing black; I think I must tell you, we, women of Arabia, wear black all the time, in all seasons, and it's perfectly OK. 
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:19

is wearing kind of color important?

I mean my father found it crazy when he whas in hajj 2 years ago, that Iranians and iraqi hajji's weared black clothes under 45C!

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 07:30
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Some Sunni Sayyids wear green turbans, especially in Turkey.
Right Mira,but I meant Seyyids in Iraq,all of them wearin black turban.

In Lebanon they wear black turbans, too, I think.  It's nice.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 07:27

Originally posted by Arpad

just a question, do most Seyed's wear the green turban?

And also i met A Seyed from Iraq once, he was a beutiful man, his character was so charming and intelligent. He was a great man i must say, and even when he spoke it made me feel he is soo intelligent. Very polite man indeed, and if your asking about the Validity of people claiming they are Seyed,, then i would put this guy into those being decendant.

Actually Arpad they wear black turban,Green is the symbolic and flag's colour for Alawis.

Right Mira,but I meant Seyyids in Iraq,all of them wearin black turban.
Khalid Bin Walid
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:52

And also i met A Seyed from Iraq once, he was a beutiful man, his character was so charming and intelligent. He was a great man i must say, and even when he spoke it made me feel he is soo intelligent. Very polite man indeed, and if your asking about the Validity of people claiming they are Seyed,, then i would put this guy into those being decendant.

Actually Arpad they wear black turban,Green is the symbolic and flag's colour for Alawis.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:38
You need to be sure, azimuth.  Either it was or it wasn't.  And assuming it was used by an Abbassid Caliph, just for the sake of the argument, does that give it any legitimacy?  The Caliphates, after the four righteous Caliphs, can all be looked at as a distortion of the Islamic political system that is based on Shura, not absolute monarchy.

Either we accept and use all religious titles or none.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:23

no Khadim al-haramayn was chosen by the late king fahad to replace "his majesty" title.

i think the title "khadem alharamayn" was used by one of the Abbasids Caliphs, not sure.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 05:12
I just remembered something:

Isn't Khadim al-Haramayn an inherited title?  Why make distinction between this and the title of Sayyid, and justify the first but not the latter?
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 01:28

yes

As far as i know turban colors with she'es has meanings, the Black color are they "Sayyeds" and the white color are the normal religious people.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 09:48

Khalid Bin Walid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>