Print Page | Close Window

Seyyeds of Turkey

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9298
Printed Date: 17-May-2024 at 10:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Seyyeds of Turkey
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Seyyeds of Turkey
Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 20:49
I wonder are there still seyyids ( the decendants of the prophet Muhammad) exist in Turkey. I know they are still in good standing in Jordan but not so in Saudi. How about Turkey after Ataturk came to power? Did they just disappear or immigrate or what?

Does anyone knows?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Fizzil
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 08:47

I don't believe in these decendants, i seen alot of seyyids in europe (london, germany, sweden) wherever i went there is this arab/turk/whathaveyou who says "Hey i'm a seyyid!"

Even Jordan, the Hashemites claim they descended from the prophet for legitimacy to rule reasons, but there is no solid evidence.

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 08:53
How a can Turk be descendant of Muhammed?

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 10:10
Originally posted by barish

Turk as citizen of Turkey

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 10:36
Originally posted by Fizzil

I don't believe in these decendants, i seen alot of seyyids in europe (london, germany, sweden) wherever i went there is this arab/turk/whathaveyou who says "Hey i'm a seyyid!"

Even Jordan, the Hashemites claim they descended from the prophet for legitimacy to rule reasons, but there is no solid evidence.

I don't believe either, everyone knows Mohammad had no offsprings. His children died all in their childhood.

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 11:29
it is pure BS, people who say it do so for prestige, we have so many seyyeds in Iran, it beggars belief. every other mullah thinks he is muhamad or the mahdi.

-------------

Posted By: Mira
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 13:28
Lol, some of the statements made above are quite funny, coming from people I thought would have some common sense, if not knowledge about the matter.

Being a Hashemite does not necessarily mean one is a direct descendant of the Prophet (peace be upon Him), but someone from the same tribe; banu (bani) Hashim (sons of Hashim).

Fizzil, I thought you, at least, would know this much.

-------------

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 14:06
well  i know there is a seyid in Menzil/Adiyaman  Turkey. His name is Abdulhekim

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 14:24
How could there be a Seyyed, if Mohammad had no offsprings?

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 14:26
Maziar,

Being a Seyyid does not mean a person is a descendant of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon Him).  It means the person is a Hashemite, only.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 14:28
Originally posted by DayI

Originally posted by barish

Turk as citizen of Turkey

I don't see that happening in that way either.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 14:31
Not possible in Turkey, since nobody knows his/her relatives from even 150 years before.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 14:53

Originally posted by Mira

Maziar,

Being a Seyyid does not mean a person is a descendant of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon Him).  It means the person is a Hashemite, only.

Well i don't know, all seyyeds i know claim they are direct descandants of Mohammad.

And do you think hashemis had so much offsprings streched in the whole world? were the Hashemis supermen?

-------------

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 17:45

"I don't believe either, everyone knows Mohammad had no offsprings. His children died all in their childhood."

So who did the Caliph Ali marry?

"How a can Turk be descendant of Muhammed? "

Ones ancestors can be of diffrent nation, surely Turks of all races should know that.

Ofcourse there are Seyyids out there in various countries. However i do agree with the point that the can be many false claims out there.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 19:24
Originally posted by OSMANLI

"I don't believe either, everyone knows Mohammad had no offsprings. His children died all in their childhood."

So who did the Caliph Ali marry?

Well i won't claim this, you muslims do: the blood of man won't be given by a woman.

-------------

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 19:27
why not?

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 21:15
Guys you need to calm down. I was not asking your opinions about the Seyid class system. All I asked is how its condition in Turkey these days.

The Seyyids and espeically the Sherifs family class was huge in instabul during the Ottoman empire and they had high positions in the government.

Almost you can tell by the family last name if it ends with El din ..such as fahreldin or arsh eldin( ercetin), Cemaleddin, etc that they are a sharif or a seyyid family...or last names such as Abidin were reserved for seyyids. The celebi sufi orders family heads are mostly a family of seyids, as well as alot but not all whose name end with DeDe etc etc. Also, even turkish sounding names such as Doğan and many others do claim to be seyyids. Anyway , the list is huge but ever since the revolution they have become invisible. When Ataturk came to power lots of these priviliged families along with Imams, and ottoman empirial family it self lost their privilages.

I just wonder if they are still invisible in Turkey... Thats all i am asking.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 21:54

Originally posted by erkut

why not?

ask the muslims i don't know. As i said i don't claim this, but muslims do.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 04:26

You should really show your sources. Could you please provide it.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 07:18

No Osmanli.  Maziar cannot provide any sources.  In fact, he is even ignorant of his own parents' beliefs.  According to Shia, a person who's mother is a Hashemite is given the title "Mirza". 

As said earlier, you need not be a direct descendant of the Prophet, but only a descendant of the same tribe.  The Hashemites - or Qureyshis, as they are more widely known -  just like members of other tribes, were traders who migrated to different places.  It is not at all surprising to find Qureyshis in different parts of the world.  Bani Hashim was one of the biggest tribes in Arabia.  Its members took pride in having so many children.  As a matter of fact, the tribe of Hashim has many branches within it and they're all able to trace back their ancestors.  The only so-called Hashemites who have not been able to prove their ancestry are the monarchs of Morocco.

It is wrong to assume that people link themselves to Bani Hashim for prestige or privilege.  The only place I could think of where such a lineage could be used/abused for some sort of privilege or social status is Iran.

Having Hashemite Turks is not at all odd.

-------------

Posted By: Fizzil
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 08:18

Lol, some of the statements made above are quite funny, coming from people I thought would have some common sense, if not knowledge about the matter.

Being a Hashemite does not necessarily mean one is a direct descendant of the Prophet (peace be upon Him), but someone from the same tribe; banu (bani) Hashim (sons of Hashim).

Fizzil, I thought you, at least, would know this much.

I'm pretty burned by my visits in europe, sorry

Then again my main gripe is against the fakers.

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 12:17

The Seyyid is honorfic title given to descendant of the Prophet (peace be upon Him), Through his grandsons Hassan and Hussein(PBUT).

the sons of his daughter Fatima Zahra and his son-in-law Ali ibn Abi Talib (who was Muhammad's younger cousin and had been raised in his household).

not all Banu Hashim are Seyyids only the descendant of Hassan or Hussein,The line of Hassani sayyeds who ruled Mecca and Medina and now rule in Jordan, the Hashemites, bore the title Sharif.

In Iraq they called him "Sayed",In north africa "Sidi".

Alevis in Turkey use "Sayed" as an honorific before the names of their saints.
Sayeds  often include titles in their names to indicate the figure from whom they trace their descent. If they are descended from more than one notable ancestor or Shi'a imam, they will use the title of the ancestor from whom they are most directly descended.

like Sayed Hassan Al Mousawi,Sayed mean the honorfic title,hassan his real name ,Al Mousawi ancestor title(Imam Mousa Al Kadhim the 7th Imam in twelver shia)

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 12:56

No Osmanli.  Maziar cannot provide any sources.  In fact, he is even ignorant of his own parents' beliefs.  According to Shia, a person who's mother is a Hashemite is given the title "Mirza". 

As said earlier, you need not be a direct descendant of the Prophet, but only a descendant of the same tribe.  The Hashemites - or Qureyshis, as they are more widely known -  just like members of other tribes, were traders who migrated to different places.  It is not at all surprising to find Qureyshis in different parts of the world.  Bani Hashim was one of the biggest tribes in Arabia.  Its members took pride in having so many children.  As a matter of fact, the tribe of Hashim has many branches within it and they're all able to trace back their ancestors.  The only so-called Hashemites who have not been able to prove their ancestry are the monarchs of Morocco.

It is wrong to assume that people link themselves to Bani Hashim for prestige or privilege.  The only place I could think of where such a lineage could be used/abused for some sort of privilege or social status is Iran.

Having Hashemite Turks is not at all odd.

so this makes clear why some Arabs are anti-Iranian. I am very embrassed, but i am glad to know that there are only a handfull Arabs which hate Iranians. Most Arabs i know here are very good friends and they are not mad with me, only becouse i "ignore" my parents belief. Nor my parents are mad with me becouse of it. Mira can't you imagine there are tolerant people among moslems, who are not close minded like you? come on girl learn to be more tolerant and take it easy. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 13:09
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

The Seyyid is honorfic title given to descendant of the Prophet (peace be upon Him), Through his grandsons Hassan and Hussein(PBUT).

the sons of his daughter Fatima Zahra and his son-in-law Ali ibn Abi Talib (who was Muhammad's younger cousin and had been raised in his household).

not all Banu Hashim are Seyyids only the descendant of Hassan or Hussein,The line of Hassani sayyeds who ruled Mecca and Medina and now rule in Jordan, the Hashemites, bore the title Sharif.

In Iraq they called him "Sayed",In north africa "Sidi".

Alevis in Turkey use "Sayed" as an honorific before the names of their saints.
Sayeds  often include titles in their names to indicate the figure from whom they trace their descent. If they are descended from more than one notable ancestor or Shi'a imam, they will use the title of the ancestor from whom they are most directly descended.

like Sayed Hassan Al Mousawi,Sayed mean the honorfic title,hassan his real name ,Al Mousawi ancestor title(Imam Mousa Al Kadhim the 7th Imam in twelver shia)

I might have to disagree with you, Ahmed.  Perhaps the title of Seyyid, according to Shia belief, may be only restricted to the descendants of the Prophet (peace be upon Him) through His grandsons, al-Hassan and al-Hussein (rAa), but according to Sunni belief, this restriction doesn't stand.

I'm not trying to start a debate.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 13:18
Originally posted by Maziar

so this makes clear why some Arabs are anti-Iranian. I am very embrassed, but i am glad to know that there are only a handfull Arabs which hate Iranians. Most Arabs i know here are very good friends and they are not mad with me, only becouse i "ignore" my parents belief. Nor my parents are mad with me becouse of it. Mira can't you imagine there are tolerant people among moslems, who are not close minded like you? come on girl learn to be more tolerant and take it easy. 

I apologize, Maziar, if my response had given you such an erroneous impression.  I am not anti-Iranian, and definitely not anti-Shia, either. 

It is just that you have shown evident ignorance in such a matter that is of focal significance in your parents' belief.  I thought you would know, but I guess I was wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:40

I disagree Mira,If all Hashimite(Banu Hashim)are Seyyids why the Abbasid Caliphs didn't claim this title.

if what you said is right then we don't need this title, it become invalueable cause this title refer to descendants of Muhammad (PBUH) if we generalize it to all Banu Hashim,the result is nonsense title.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:43
@ Mira, ok I apologize too, maybe i was going to far. I am seeking freedom for criticism, i know for sure not everyone would like this.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:56

I disagree Mira,If all Hashimite(Banu Hashim)are Seyyids why the Abbasid Caliphs didn't claim this title.

if what you said is right then we don't need this title, it become invalueable cause this title refer to descendants of Muhammad (PBUH) if we generalize it to all Banu Hashim,the result is nonsense title.

That is an opinion I respect, Ahmed, though I don't necessarily agree with.  The title is also given to the Hashemite descendants of Abu Talib, through his other sons, Jaafar, 'Aqeel and Talib. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:58
Originally posted by Maziar

@ Mira, ok I apologize too, maybe i was going to far. I am seeking freedom for criticism, i know for sure not everyone would like this.

No problem, Maziar.  I shouldn't have taken it personally, either.  Misunderstanding cleared, I hope.

-------------

Posted By: erci
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:59
I thought the alevis are the followers of Ali

-------------
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 05:21
So Mazier you still hae not explained your statement about blood coming via the father. Or is this a cultural thing among your people?

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 06:31

That is an opinion I respect, Ahmed, though I don't necessarily agree with.  The title is also given to the Hashemite descendants of Abu Talib, through his other sons, Jaafar, 'Aqeel and Talib. 
I know that Mira but it is wrong,again if what you said is true what is the need for the title.

please explain.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 06:53

The title is honorific for the Hashemites, whom the Prophet (peace be upon Him) belonged to.  The title entails no certain obligations, responsibilities or privileges, but again it depends on your interpretation of the whole matter.  It's different for Shias and Sunnis, you know.  I'm sure the title conveys respect, but that it, I believe.

Being a descendant of a Prophet or any great man/woman doesn't necessarily make you a privileged person, deservant of a special status.  Let me remind you of this ayyah in Surat al-Baqarah.  See what you can make out of it.

"And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an Imam to the Nations." He pleaded: "And also (Imams) from my offspring!" He answered: "But My Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers." [2:124]

-------------

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 11:06

The only so-called Hashemites who have not been able to prove their ancestry are the monarchs of Morocco.

I agree, the moroccan royal family's descendance from Mohamed is complete BS, aswell as all those to claim that they are. How is it possible to retrace your lineage so far back in time ?

What proves it ? (except a DNA analysis, which is impossible... isn't it?).

Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 11:12
Originally posted by sedamoun

The only so-called Hashemites who have not been able to prove their ancestry are the monarchs of Morocco.

I agree, the moroccan royal family's descendance from Mohamed is complete BS, aswell as all those to claim that they are. How is it possible to retrace your lineage so far back in time ?

What proves it ? (except a DNA analysis, which is impossible... isn't it?).

Cheers.

Wrong.

It's got to do with culture.  In this part of the world, especially Arab culture, we keep track of our lineage.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 13:07

I didn't say"The title entails  certain obligations, responsibilities or privileges" .

The Seyyid is like other people,I don't see anything about privilege in my previous topic,you get me wrong.

agree with you about convoys respect.

I know this verse but it hasn't any relation about what we talking,we are not here to know the evil and the angel and the Imam.

Finally,you didn't answer my question.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 14:06
I'm sorry, Ahmed.  Maybe I didn't understand your question.  Could you please elaborate?

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 16:25
Guys, sure you will never , genelogically speaking, if these people are truly linked to the prophet, however, it is about a social agreement that was made hundreds of years ago. Of course there are imposters, however if you go to any muslim country there are certain families that have been known to be of a seyyid class for hundered and hundered of years. They were not just made yesterday.

So it is sort of a centuries old tradition.. an accepted reallity.. sort of like religion it self, after all how can u prove that there were for sure jesus or Mohamed or wether they had communicated with God?see? it is a century old tradional belifs that has became part of reality.

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 23:22

last month my brother gave me a huge poster which has all the "family" tree of the Prophets from Adam, it was intersting to see, the last bit of it has the decendents of the Prophet pbuh through his daughter Fatima, i guess the people calling themselvs Hashimits today are the ones decendent from Ali not the Prophet, Caliph Ali raa, married more than one wife after the death of prophet's daughter.

i agree more with Ahmad's post here than mira's, the people call themselvs Sayyeds are the ones who think that they are from the Prophet's blood line not from the Banu Haship trib

i personally think its not true. and these people are making this up just to get more people to support them. and they are mostly She'as.

i remember in 98 i saw a programme here in Australia about Saddam and the jornalist went to a huge she'e mosque in Karbala and they Imam of the mosque said that Saddam is one of the prophet's decendents !! and he showed him a Poster with prophet's family tree , the Prophet's name was the tree and saddam was one of the leafs

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:13

Salaamz azimuth,

I disagree.  All the Hashemites in the UAE are Sunni Saadah (Sayyids).  Their birth certificates, as well as their passports carry the title in them.  I speak out of knowledge, as my grandmother is a Sayyida.  She is the cousin of al-Sayyid al-Hashemi, Director of the Dubai Courts, and the aunt of Emaar's director.  And yes, they are able to trace back their ancestors just like you can, and they do have family trees.

The title Sayyid is not restricted to the descendants of Ali (rAa), at least not according to Sunni belief.  It includes all Hashemite descendants through Abu Talib, and his sons (rAa).

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:21

trace beck their ancestors to who? which one of the Hashemites?

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:23
Talib

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:30

who is talib?

or you meant Abu Talib ?

and AFAIK the people who has Hashimi as their last names are from Yemen and the ones who came from Iran in the last centurey.

in iran there are shie'e and sunnie Hashimis the ones who came from Iran to arabia are the sunnie ones.

dont know if they were in Arabia then they moved to iran and then came back or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:42

Talib is the son of Abu Talib, azimuth.  You need to do some reading.

As for the Hashemites, the Sunni ones are from Hijaz + Iran.  And yes, the ones from Persia were returning migrants.  Hijazis, however, have always been here.  The late King Hussein of Jordan is a Hijazi Hashemite, so are most of the Hashemites in the UAE.  I know quite a number of them come from Iran as well.  Their looks reveal that.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:51

lol

well Abu Talib is much much more famouse than Talib.

anyway didnt know that they had titles, i was thinking that guy called Al Sayyed Al Hashimi was his name not his title !!

i guess its just the ones who hold higher position in the country are the ones who are usuing their titles.

also i think its stupid to use such title "sayyed", which is usually translated as Mister in english.

or they meant Sayyed as in Master?

anyway both aren't appropriate i think, so as having the title Sheikh for the ruler's sons . the sheikh title supposed to be the ruler only and whoever get to that position not everybody from that family. not everybody related to the king called king !, calling them princes is more correct that they are from the royal family.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 03:00

No, his name is not al-Sayyid.  His name is Mohammed.  In Jordan, women carry the title "Sharifa."  They don't apply that here in the UAE.  So my grandmother doesn't carry a title, but she's automatically "bint el-Sayyid Ahmed," if you know what I mean.

Most of them use the title, even the ones who are as young as 20.  They don't use that informally, but it's always there on official papers.  My 20 year old cousin is al-Sayyid Abdullah, for instance.

I don't think it conveys any special meaning.  As said, it is an honorific title and shouldn't be used/abused for personal gains.  It doesn't make one a better person or deservant of a big position. 

One of the things I noticed during taraweeh in Ramadan is that they'll have water cups distributed in the mosque before, during and after prayers.  My grandmother refuses to drink the water no matter how thirsty she is, because according to Hashemite protocol, "la tajooz al sadaqah 3alayhim."  That's the only 'different' thing I've seen the Hashemites do.

-------------

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 03:14

I disagree.  All the Hashemites in the UAE are Sunni Saadah (Sayyids)

Greetings Mira. I'm curious if you are 100% sure that all Hashemites in UAE are Sunnis? I know personally two Emiratis who are Sayyids. One from Abu Dhabi and he is Sunni. One from Dubai and he is Shiite.

Their birth certificates, as well as their passports carry the title in them. 

I have to agree with Azimuth on the point he raised that no official papers should mention that title. When an official document mention that title in your name, it makes it an official title or name. A prince does not have on his passport next to his name AL Prince So & So. So, I think we don't need to know that he/she is Al Sayed So & So on official documents. Afterall, what is the reason to have that on official documents of the government of UAE, like your passport?

My grandmother refuses to drink the water no matter how thirsty she is, because according to Hashemite protocol, "la tajooz al sadaqah 3alayhim."  That's the only 'different' thing I've seen the Hashemites do.

I did notice that protocol in their actions and I think it is beautiful because it teaches humbleness and force them not to accept free tributes. However, how does this protocol is practiced without a collision with another Hashemite protocol where they are to be recognized to receive an annual financial tributes from the public?

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 04:30
Originally posted by çok geç

I disagree.  All the Hashemites in the UAE are Sunni Saadah (Sayyids)

Greetings Mira. I'm curious if you are 100% sure that all Hashemites in UAE are Sunnis? I know personally two Emiratis who are Sayyids. One from Abu Dhabi and he is Sunni. One from Dubai and he is Shiite.

Salaamz çok geç,

Some of those who call themselves Sayyids are not Hashemites, or at least don't carry that last name.  The ones who carry the last name in the UAE are all Sunnis.

Their birth certificates, as well as their passports carry the title in them. 

I have to agree with Azimuth on the point he raised that no official papers should mention that title. When an official document mention that title in your name, it makes it an official title or name. A prince does not have on his passport next to his name AL Prince So & So. So, I think we don't need to know that he/she is Al Sayed So & So on official documents. Afterall, what is the reason to have that on official documents of the government of UAE, like your passport?

There's no reason but to honor and pay respect to those descendant from the Prophet's (peace be upon Him) tribe and family.  I don't see why not.

My grandmother refuses to drink the water no matter how thirsty she is, because according to Hashemite protocol, "la tajooz al sadaqah 3alayhim."  That's the only 'different' thing I've seen the Hashemites do.

I did notice that protocol in their actions and I think it is beautiful because it teaches humbleness and force them not to accept free tributes. However, how does this protocol is practiced without a collision with another Hashemite protocol where they are to be recognized to receive an annual financial tributes from the public?

That will require a "Bayt Maal" for the Muslims to fulfill that, which we don't have these days.  Such monetary amounts are also deducted from the spoils of war.  Do we have such wars nowadays?

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 05:37
Originally posted by azimuth

last month my brother gave me a huge poster which has all the "family" tree of the Prophets from Adam, it was intersting to see, the last bit of it has the decendents of the Prophet pbuh through his daughter Fatima, i guess the people calling themselvs Hashimits today are the ones decendent from Ali not the Prophet, Caliph Ali raa, married more than one wife after the death of prophet's daughter.

i agree more with Ahmad's post here than mira's, the people call themselvs Sayyeds are the ones who think that they are from the Prophet's blood line not from the Banu Haship trib

i personally think its not true. and these people are making this up just to get more people to support them. and they are mostly She'as.

i remember in 98 i saw a programme here in Australia about Saddam and the jornalist went to a huge she'e mosque in Karbala and they Imam of the mosque said that Saddam is one of the prophet's decendents !! and he showed him a Poster with prophet's family tree , the Prophet's name was the tree and saddam was one of the leafs

Right Azimuth Only through Fatima,the  sons or decendent of Ali except through  Hassan and Hussein don't consider as Seyyids.

Saddam suddenly claimed he is decendent of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) through his grandson Hussein(PBUH).

they made poems,songs,etc to glorify this event.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 13:33

hehe If I decide to become tiran at some muslim country, I will decleare myself as seyit too.

By the way, there are turkish, kurdish and arabish seyit in Turkey. Marriage and asimilation changed their ethnics.

But well I think at least 90% of them is fake.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 13:48
I'm sure there are imposters, but if you can trace your ancestors (like many Arabs claim to be able to), then I don't see why it's impossible for others, too, i.e. the Hashemites.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 13:51

AsalamuAleykum,

Firstly i would like to thank you all for such an informative debate. I have found it very interesting. Jazakallah Kheyr/Jazaki

Although i would like to make the point for all non-Muslims that this whole title thing is un-Islamic and is more cultural more than anything else.

WassalamuAleykum,

OSMANLI

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 16:38

Some of those who call themselves Sayyids are not Hashemites, or at least don't carry that last name.  The ones who carry the last name in the UAE are all Sunnis.

Ok, I will ask him to support his claim in official documents to check him, enshallah.

There's no reason but to honor and pay respect to those descendant from the Prophet's (peace be upon Him) tribe and family.  I don't see why not.

Mira, respect is earned. Not inherited.

That will require a "Bayt Maal" for the Muslims to fulfill that, which we don't have these days.  Such monetary amounts are also deducted from the spoils of war.  Do we have such wars nowadays?

Well, you raise an interesting point here. Bayt Al Maal techniqually is the government or Muslim ruling authority's house of credit and savings. Just like a Central Bank or any supreme financial institution. Now, as far as I remember, the deducted amount of the spoils of war is given to the poor of the house of the prophet, so they won't need to beg or receive Zakah from public. So it is not a financial tribute that is given to any of the Hashemites as it is done wrongly in some places.
Furthermore, since you mentioned it already that there is no spoil of war to serve that order, many scholars including Sheikh Al Qaradawi have given fatwa that Zakah will substitute it. So the Hashemites are entitled to Zakah as any other people since the means are cut for them without spoil of war and thus, nullify the rule of no Zakah to the Hashemite of the Prophet house (PBUH).

Although i would like to make the point for all non-Muslims that this whole title thing is un-Islamic and is more cultural more than anything else.

A lot of truth in this. Adding the title Sayed is definitely un-islamic. But I need to check on the "no Zakah recievient" rule here since many Fatwas came regarding it.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 01:20

There's no reason but to honor and pay respect to those descendant from the Prophet's (peace be upon Him) tribe and family.  I don't see why not.

Mira, respect is earned. Not inherited.

Salaamz çok geç,

You're absolutely right.  I just need to clarify that I'm not justifying their having any titles (although I don't see why not); I was simply offering an explanation.  In an earlier response, I posted this ayyah, which more or less supports your statement - which really means we're in total agreement regarding this - :

"And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an Imam to the Nations." He pleaded: "And also (Imams) from my offspring!" He answered: "But My Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers." [2:124]

My point is, I don't see why they can't carry harmless titles that give them no privileges or status above others.  If they can't earn respect, they can at least inherit the title as a 'secular' one, just like the English "Sir," and "Lord," you know?

Well, you raise an interesting point here. Bayt Al Maal techniqually is the government or Muslim ruling authority's house of credit and savings. Just like a Central Bank or any supreme financial institution. Now, as far as I remember, the deducted amount of the spoils of war is given to the poor of the house of the prophet, so they won't need to beg or receive Zakah from public. So it is not a financial tribute that is given to any of the Hashemites as it is done wrongly in some places.
Furthermore, since you mentioned it already that there is no spoil of war to serve that order, many scholars including Sheikh Al Qaradawi have given fatwa that Zakah will substitute it. So the Hashemites are entitled to Zakah as any other people since the means are cut for them without spoil of war and thus, nullify the rule of no Zakah to the Hashemite of the Prophet house (PBUH).

Most of the existing Hashemites - including those who claim to be - are pretty well-off financially, so the hukm regarding the zakaah, I would assume, becomes void.  Besides, there's no government entity that gives out zakaah to the poor anymore.

-------------

Posted By: Arpad
Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 09:17

just a question, do most Seyed's wear the green turban?

And also i met A Seyed from Iraq once, he was a beutiful man, his character was so charming and intelligent. He was a great man i must say, and even when he spoke it made me feel he is soo intelligent. Very polite man indeed, and if your asking about the Validity of people claiming they are Seyed,, then i would put this guy into those being decendant.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 09:48
Originally posted by Arpad

And also i met A Seyed from Iraq once, he was a beutiful man, his character was so charming and intelligent. He was a great man i must say, and even when he spoke it made me feel he is soo intelligent. Very polite man indeed, and if your asking about the Validity of people claiming they are Seyed,, then i would put this guy into those being decendant.

Actually Arpad they wear black turban,Green is the symbolic and flag's colour for Alawis.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 01:28

yes

As far as i know turban colors with she'es has meanings, the Black color are they "Sayyeds" and the white color are the normal religious people.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 05:12
I just remembered something:

Isn't Khadim al-Haramayn an inherited title?  Why make distinction between this and the title of Sayyid, and justify the first but not the latter?

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:23

no Khadim al-haramayn was chosen by the late king fahad to replace "his majesty" title.

i think the title "khadem alharamayn" was used by one of the Abbasids Caliphs, not sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:38
You need to be sure, azimuth.  Either it was or it wasn't.  And assuming it was used by an Abbassid Caliph, just for the sake of the argument, does that give it any legitimacy?  The Caliphates, after the four righteous Caliphs, can all be looked at as a distortion of the Islamic political system that is based on Shura, not absolute monarchy.

Either we accept and use all religious titles or none.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:52

Actually Arpad they wear black turban,Green is the symbolic and flag's colour for Alawis.

Some Sunni Sayyids wear green turbans, especially in Turkey.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 07:27

Right Mira,but I meant Seyyids in Iraq,all of them wearin black turban.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 07:30

Right Mira,but I meant Seyyids in Iraq,all of them wearin black turban.

In Lebanon they wear black turbans, too, I think.  It's nice.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:19

is wearing kind of color important?

I mean my father found it crazy when he whas in hajj 2 years ago, that Iranians and iraqi hajji's weared black clothes under 45°C!

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:33
I don't know if wearing colored-turbans is imporant, but with respect to your father's astonishment at seeing people wearing black; I think I must tell you, we, women of Arabia, wear black all the time, in all seasons, and it's perfectly OK. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:49

I don't know if wearing colored-turbans is imporant, but with respect to your father's astonishment at seeing people wearing black; I think I must tell you, we, women of Arabia, wear black all the time, in all seasons, and it's perfectly OK. 
Isnt it warmer in a black cloth under sun then white? You should try it, see the difference

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:58
Originally posted by DayI

Isnt it warmer in a black cloth under sun then white? You should try it, see the difference

Lol, a misconception, I guess.  We didn't wear abayyas (black cloak) in school, and it felt exactly the same.  Actually, it's better to wear an abayya.  We get to wear lighter clothes underneath and still preserve our modesty.  It's beautiful, we love it.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 11:57
Correct me if iam wrong but isnt the wearing of black attire a Shi'a custom

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 14:22

Correct me if iam wrong but isnt the wearing of black attire a Shi'a custom
Yes,but it is not execlusive custom,anyone can wear black attire.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 17:05

Isn't Khadim al-Haramayn an inherited title?  Why make distinction between this and the title of Sayyid, and justify the first but not the latter?

I didnt see anyone who justify Khadem Al Haramayn title. But anyhow, It is not an inherited title by birth as Sayyid.  It is a position title as King, Minister, Vasir, or whatever. Notice only the King can be named Khadem Al Haramayn when he reaches the crown. He cannot get that title by birth, in contrast to Sayyid.  The title as old as the Abbasyd caliphs assumed. The distinction between Khadem Al Haramayn title and Sayyid application can be summerized in two points:

1- Khadem Al Haramayn is earned when the position is reached (to be the king of who is protecting the two holy mosques) in contrast to Sayyid which it is inherited by birth.

2- Khadem Al Haramayn title means custodian of the two holy mosques and and can be attained by any who assume this position regardless of bloodline. Whereas Sayyid is a bloodline title and totally exclusive.

Some people say Khadem Al Haramayn is a title that suppose to de-glorify the King, since it is literally translated as "servant=Khadem", and it serves a reminder of the position and obligation of the king. Al Sayyid title serves only one purpse. You yourself summerized it as:

My point is, I don't see why they can't carry harmless titles that give them no privileges or status above others.  If they can't earn respect, they can at least inherit the title as a 'secular' one, just like the English "Sir," and "Lord," you know?

Well any title is harmless, either King, Khadem Al Haramayn, Sir, Sayyid. However what is the essense of assuming that title? To point out the descendancy of the prophet. Can you guess why do I need to know that you are a descendant of the prophet? Unless Im suppose to react different to the Sayyid title, there is no point of telling me your blood lineage without asking.

If it is up to me, any title that is exclusive and points out to bloodline lineage is only aimed to extend proudness of that lineage. Something we call in Arabic "Tafakher Bel Ansab" "ÊÝÇÎÑ ÈÇáÃäÓÇÈ" and this is definitely at least discourged in Islam. The title is harmless? well maybe for you but in many parts of the world,  people are expected to react different to the title and they glorify the holder of that title just by default. So definitely it serves a purpse either way.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 10:09
Salaamz çok geç,

I hate to disagree with you, but ..

I didnt see anyone who justify Khadem Al Haramayn title. But anyhow, It is not an inherited title by birth as Sayyid.  It is a position title as King, Minister, Vasir, or whatever. Notice only the King can be named Khadem Al Haramayn when he reaches the crown.

How does he reach the crown?  He inherits it.  You don't elect the King.

Well any title is harmless, either King, Khadem Al Haramayn, Sir, Sayyid. However what is the essense of assuming that title? To point out the descendancy of the prophet. Can you guess why do I need to know that you are a descendant of the prophet? Unless Im suppose to react different to the Sayyid title, there is no point of telling me your blood lineage without asking.

If it is up to me, any title that is exclusive and points out to bloodline lineage is only aimed to extend proudness of that lineage. Something we call in Arabic "Tafakher Bel Ansab" "ÊÝÇÎÑ ÈÇáÃäÓÇÈ" and this is definitely at least discourged in Islam. The title is harmless? well maybe for you but in many parts of the world,  people are expected to react different to the title and they glorify the holder of that title just by default. So definitely it serves a purpse either way.

Why is the ruling family in your country, for example, allowed to preserve their family and lineage as royalty, while the descendants of the Prophet (peace be upon Him) and the Hashemites should be discouraged and disallowed from doing so? 

Al Tafakhur bi al-Ansaab is not necessarily un-Islamic.  If it was, as you say, then the Prophet (peace be upon Him) wouldn't have made it one of the "qualities" that a man can look for in a potential wife; "nassab."  It is not Islamic, but it is also not un-Islamic.  It is a cultural characteristic of the Arabs that predates Islam, but was not displaced by it.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 11:55

look at the title for this topic.. i dont understand much wht u guys were saying ... lol...

Seyyed.. Sayyid..Seyed... looks like have different ways of spelling and  who this people are actually?

In malaysia... we have some people name "Syed"

I wonder this name is having connection with wht u guys are talking here...
For anyone whose father names is Syed... the son will carry the name also.. for daughter.. Sharifah...

Example:
Syed Indra B. Syed Omar
Sharifah Shakirah Bt. Syed Omar

and i guess.. they are all Sunni...

Just wondering....

-------------

Posted By: Moustafa Pasha
Date Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 10:23

All of you who rwrote that Prophet Mohamed peace be upon him had no children are wrong.

Khadija was the Prophet's first wife and the mother of the only child to survive him,his daughter Fatima Az-Zahra,who married Ali Ibn Abu Talib,the Prophtet's cousin and son in law.

Their descendants are sharifs or Seyyeds. Also the Fatimides Dynasty who ruled Egypt and the Arab world are descendants of Fatima. In Cairo today you can find Sayeda Zeinab's Mosque was  where the  grand daughter of the prophet is buried. The Alaoui Dynasty of Morroco are also Sharifs. King Abdallah II of Jordan is a Hachemite who can claim to be a sharif (descendant of the Prophet).

It is also true that the genalogy tree of the Prophet has been manipulated in some unscrupulos  cases which created tens of thousands of false sharifs. That does not prove that he had no descendants.

Sharifs are nobles and Sayyeds Lords

Date Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 14:26
I don't understand why it is that important. Being a descendant of a prophet?

Date Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 01:22

it shouldn't be important.

and those who say that they are desendant of the prophet are not better muslims or anything. each as per his/her work not by his/her bloodline.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com