Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurks in the Mongol Horde

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turks in the Mongol Horde
    Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 21:55
Originally posted by Akskl

Do you have proofs to support your statement?

Read back a few comments, we have written records in Mongol that state they spoke Mongol.

ps until recently the Naimen were assumed to have spoken a Mongol language because of the preponderance of Mongol root words in the fragments we have.  Current theory is that they spoke a Turkic language but had lots of loan works from their Quara Khitai overlords.
rgds.

Tom..
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 17:11

19th century Russian historian Ivan Berezin, British scientist Colonel Yule, famous Soviet historian L.L.Viktorova, French Academician Rene Grousset, Australian professor de Rachewiltz, German professor Paul Ratchnevsky, Chinese professor Tu Ji (or Tu Chi), Dutch historian Leo de Hartog, US historians R.P.Lister, J.J.Saunders,  and many others think that Naimans, Kereits, Merkits, Onguts, Qongyrats, etc. were TURKIC speaking steppe peoples.   

Today they are parts of modern Kazakhs, and they still speak the same Turkic language .

Edited by Akskl
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 04:52

19th century Russian historian Ivan Berezin, British scientist Colonel Yule, famous Soviet historian L.L.Viktorova, French Academician Rene Grousset, Australian professor de Rachewiltz, German professor Paul Ratchnevsky, Chinese professor Tu Ji (or Tu Chi), Dutch historian Leo de Hartog, US historians R.P.Lister, J.J.Saunders,  and many others think that Naimans, Kereits, Merkits, Onguts, Qongyrats, etc. were TURKIC speaking steppe peoples.   

Today they are parts of modern Kazakhs, and they still speak the same Turkic language .

If you read all the publications by the above (deceased and living) you will find that this statement isn't true.

AND
You will find that they all consider the Mongols to have spoken a Mongol language.

FURTHER
The statement that Naimans, Kereits, Merkits, Onguts, Qongyrats are "part of modern Kasakhs" implies a continuity that doesn't exsist.

Edited by tadamson
rgds.

Tom..
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 11:11

Sorry, you are wrong. I did read many of publications of the above-mentioned authors. They wrote about so-called "Turko-Mongols" (sounds like "Arabo-Negroes" when speaking about Sudanese or Mauritanian Arabs) - i.e. Turkic speaking peoples or tribes. Even when the authors write "Mongols" that does not mean that the "Mongols" are somehow related to the modern Khalkha-Mongols. They are more related to Great Moghuls and to Moghulistan - Turkic speaking nomads.  

Why the continuation "doesn't exist"? They still  live practically at the same territories, keep speaking the same language, having the same traditional culture  and food - horse meat, kurt - dried cheese, drinks - kumyss, traditional religion - Tengri, Umai, and even having the same tribal names! 

Modern Kazakhs never had ancestors, they probably arrived from Moon!

Why nobody says something like that about, say, Greeks, Italians,  Chinese, Celts, Slavs, etc.? 

Edited by Akskl
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 21:31

Sorry, you are wrong. I did read many of publications of the above-mentioned authors. They wrote about so-called "Turko-Mongols" (sounds like "Arabo-Negroes" when speaking about Sudanese or Mauritanian Arabs) - i.e. Turkic speaking peoples or tribes. Even when the authors write "Mongols" that does not mean that the "Mongols" are somehow related to the modern Khalkha-Mongols. They are more related to Great Moghuls and to Moghulistan - Turkic speaking nomads.  

Why the continuation "doesn't exist"? They still  live practically at the same territories, keep speaking the same language, having the same traditional culture  and food - horse meat, kurt - dried cheese, drinks - kumyss, traditional religion - Tengri, Umai, and even having the same tribal names! 

Modern Kazakhs never had ancestors, they probably arrived from Moon!

Why nobody says something like that about, say, Greeks, Italians,  Chinese, Celts, Slavs, etc.? 

Ah comprehension dawns.   The term "Turco-Mongol" doesn't mean Turkic speaking Mongol tribes.  It is used by historians to describe the various Turkic, Mongol, Tunguistic, Iranian and Tibetan tribes who shared a common pastoral nomadic lifestyle and culture.  Their actions and motivations are so similar that they can normaly be treated as a single culture historicaly.  As most of the great federations, coalitions and empires were led by either Turkic or Mongo tribes/clans the term Turco-Mongol is a convienient way to refer to them.l
rgds.

Tom..
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 22:37
OK, then let's use a term of "Franco-Germans" to describe the various German, Roman, Slavic, Celtic, Finno-Ugric, Letto-Lithuanian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Persian, Armenian, Georgian etc. peoples who shared a common sedentary  lifestyle and culture. 
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 05:59
With hindsite it's a serious issue.

Turco-Mongol is a term that historians have used for many years, all of us blythly happy that we understood the term.  It wouldn't surprise me if it's never been explained anywhare.  Jargon is a problem in any field but one we should be much more aware of.

ps I've now got to do a block change in my own stuff.  What would be a better (or at least more obvious) term ?

"pastoral nomads"         -   this is still jargon
"nomadic tribes"            -   perhaps too vague
"Turkic, Mongol and similar tribes"      -      cumbersome but more accurate

I'm open to suggestions
rgds.

Tom..
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 14:19
Kazakhs are a mix of Turkified Mongols and Turkic tribes already living there. Timur the Lame was also such a Turkified Mongol.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 14:31
mongols don't value your origin. they'll accept anyone who is a good fighter.
eavin in there own rancks blood didn't mean anything. you had to earn your ranck. there where turkic tribes in the hord. If you was a good warrior and you could ride a horse you could join i think.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 03:52

Yes,We(Turks) have been in Mongol Hordes.And Mongols have been in our hordes.As Temujin's said,Timur was a Turkified Mongol.Gengis Khan was a Mongolified Turk.

Today,there is no Mongol.All of them have been Turk...

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 04:57
Originally posted by Alone_Wolf

Yes,We(Turks) have been in Mongol Hordes.And Mongols have been in our hordes.As Temujin's said,Timur was a Turkified Mongol.Gengis Khan was a Mongolified Turk.

Actually, Timur was a Turk and Temuljin (the Chingiss Khan) was a Mongol.

Today,there is no Mongol.All of them have been Turk...

I suspect that some of our members would cosider this a racist and objectionable statement, even if it is garbage.

rgds.

Tom..
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 07:51

Originally posted by tadamson

[QUOTE=Alone_Wolf]
Actually, Timur was a Turk and Temuljin (the Chingiss Khan) was a Mongol.

You're right.Feeling are the most important.I can be a Mongol but if I feel myself as a Turk,Im a Turk

Err,I didn't understand your last sentence.My english isnt good.As I understood you're saying racist about my sentence(They have been Turk at all).If reals are racist,It doesn't interest me

Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 10:18
I know that Tatars came with Golden Horde.

kuralas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 11:39
Originally posted by Temujin

Kazakhs are a mix of Turkified Mongols and Turkic tribes already living there. Timur the Lame was also such a Turkified Mongol.

Falsehood!!! Kazakhs always were turki. Mongols of Chingishan also were turki. All niruns were turkic. Chingishan and Timur were niruns and turkic!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 19:35
you can repeat that as often as you want but it will not become true...
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 21:39
You can repeat that Naimans, Kereits, Jalairs, Merkits, Qongyrats, Onguts etc. were Mongols, but this isn't true. 100%. They were and they are Turkic tribes - today they are parts of modern Kazakhs.  
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 20:18
in the 13th century they were Mongols, today i don't know.
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 21:53

You can repeat that Naimans, Kereits, Jalairs, Merkits, Qongyrats, Onguts etc. were Mongols, but this isn't true. 100%. They were and they are Turkic tribes - today they are parts of modern Kazakhs.  

The Naimen I've already talked about.  In the 13th C the rest were Mongol.

There is no source or authority that calls Keraits Turkic,  why do you repeat this?

ps the Modern Kazakhs only trace the sub tribes back to the 18th C.
rgds.

Tom..
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 22:22
I think some of those are far from certain that they were Mongols (or Turkic).

Kerits:
East of the Naimans, from the Orkhon River in the west to the Onon and Kerulen rivers, was the new home of the Keraits. This is a group of people that had been disputed by Tao Zongyi (T'ao Tsung-i 1316- ?) to be Mongols, but Rashid ad-Din placed them in a subgroup with the Naimans, Uygurs, Kirghiz, Kipchaks and other Turkic peoples while acknowledging the resemblances between the Keraits and the Mongols. Still one more Chinese, Tu Ji, in his "History of the Mongols" (Mengwuer Shiji), assumed that the Keraits were Turkic and originated from Turkic Kangli and Ghuzz and their language was Turkic. It was also said that an important Kirghiz tribe bears the name of Kirai, which is equivalent to Kerait. As to their Mongol characteristics, Paul Ratchnevscky assumed that some Khitans were left behind and got assimiliated into the Keraits. Paul Ratchnevsky emphasized the amicableness between the Keraits and West Khitans as exemplified by the fact that Kerait's khan, Toghrul, had once sought refuge in Western Liao. Paul Ratchnevsky mentioned that the Keraits accepted Nestorian faith and that the grandfather and father of Toghrul had Latin names like Marghus (Markus) and Qurjaquz (Kyriakus).
(Source)

I think in the end, Turkic-Mongol should probably be used for most of the tribes other than the Mongols.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone to keep the discussion civil. Anything that's rude toward a group or can be contrued as propoganda may result in actions.
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 23:28
IGOR DE RACHEWILTZ, Turks in China under the Mongols: A Preliminary Investigation of Turco-Mongol Relations in the 13th and 14th Century, in: CHINA AMONG EQUALS - THE MIDDLE KINGDOM AND ITS NEIGHBORS, 10th - 14th CENTURIES, EDITED BY MORRIS ROSSABI, Chapter 10, University of California Press - Berkeley - Los Angeles London, pp.281-310.

The Turkish peoples that I have surveyed for the present investigation are the following: Uighur, Kharlukh, Khangli, Kipchak, Ongut, Kereyid, Naiman

We must not forget also that, as a young man and for many years, Chinggis Khan had been a client and an ally of the Kereyid court, and that he must inevitably have been exposed to Turkish culture through this close association. It is perhaps not fortuitous that the very title he assumed, Chinggis Khan, is of Turkish origin [8].

To-lo-chu (died before 1260), also from Khocho, who taught the Uighur script to Mongol nobles and also to Khubilai [23].

Of the 5 Naimans, 1 was Batus teacher Pai Pu hua (Beg Bukha) [35],

As was mentioned earlier, Khubilai was instructed in Uighur script by To-lo-chu. While still a prince he had as senior secretary Shiban, and among the people who, in one capacity or another, served him in these formative years were Uighurs like Lien Hsi-hsien, Esen Nai, Arigh Khaya, and Meng-su-ssu (Mungsuz).

http://www.kyrgyz.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=263

Edited by Akskl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>