Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish Professor: Muslims Discovered Ame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Professor: Muslims Discovered Ame
    Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 00:19

I've read books about how Phonecians circumnavigated Africa and reached America... all sorts of possible stories.  I had a look on that map on some book I've encountered in a library, and it showed a bare coutour of Brazil and the Carribean, as well as what the book labeled "unfrozen Antarctica."  Fascinating stuff indeed.

First we get Europeans saying they discovered it, then CHINESE, now the freakin Turks discovered it???

Hello!?!?!?! the native americans were there first. It was not really discovered, because there were people already living there!!!! 

Hello?!?!?!  You were supposed to have discovered the "Pacific Ocean," and named it "pacific!"  You shouldn't be complainng! 

Grrr..
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 18:08

Of course, we are chinoportuguese, put a Madeira's wine and a Panda in the shield of the spanish flag, and you will see the new spanish flag.

the meeting which was held to honor Sezgins different and abundant researches in the fields of Islamic sciences and the history of sciences.

where he founded the Institute for the History of Arabic-Islamic Science, affiliated with the University of Frankfurt
Fuat Sezgin has published about 750 books by now.

If this is true, i recommend revise his works, don't lost the money in his books, and send a letter to the Frankfurt University advasing their that this man is mad.

The nationalism...

Edited by Ikki
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 17:44
Originally posted by Komnenos

I hereby proudly claim that the German people did not undertake the first European exploration (or discovery) of the American continent, did not participate in its initial colonialisation and therefore not be held responsible for any subsequent events.

wrong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didrik_Pining
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 15:05
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

First we get Europeans saying they discovered it, then CHINESE, now the freakin Turks discovered it???

Hello!?!?!?! the native americans were there first. It was not really discovered, because there were people already living there!!!!

I agree.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 14:52
Na I think it is just trumpeting Islamo chauvinism.

Edited by Zagros
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 14:30
This is an anti-Turkish propaganda.  We do know from Piri Reis's memoirs that he had never been to America, and his well-known map is a copy of spanish-Portuguese maps!! 
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 14:20
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 14:03
I claim Iranians discovered Amerika first

Edited by Maziar
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:59
Plato discovered America, he called it: Atlantis.

Well, actually, it was a prophetic view, soon the USA will be crushed by a giant asteroid falling from the sky in the supervolcano of yellowstone.
Vae victis!
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:49
This is as stupid as it sounds.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:28
I hereby proudly claim that the German people did not undertake the first European exploration (or discovery) of the American continent, did not participate in its initial colonialisation and therefore not be held responsible for any subsequent events.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:46
Originally posted by Decebal

Please, this is nationalist hogwash.   The only people for which there is evidence that they got to America during the last few thousand years before Columbus are the Norsemen ("Vikings").

The true "discoverers" of the Americas are the native people anyway.

I'm not very neutral in this point , and if  someone wants  , i will write down the story of life eriksson ,who travelled with his men and women from europe to america and made first contact with the native americans.not very enjoyable for them (the vikings) !!!
so please , read books from thor heyerdahl or something else but don't listen to this rubbish.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:17
What a waste of time: Piri Reis map is well known, it is as commented a 16th century map and it is known to have been reconstructed out from other maps, that the famous Turk admiral captured to Christian vessels most likely.

The map depicts the coasts of South America (particularly Brazil) and the Caribbean without a clear concordance. For 1513, the date normally attributed to the Piris Reis map, the Spaniards (Colombus and others) had throughty explored the Caribean Sea and Amergo Vespucci had doen the same with Brazil for the Portuguese crown. It is precisely the works of these explorers and nothing else what is in Piri Reis map, which is no doubt an excellent work of military inteligence.

In fact the map seems to depict very exactly what Colombus and Vespucci had discovered - and nothing else

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:08

Please, this is nationalist hogwash. It is a well known fact that the Piri Reis map was made using Portuguese and Spanish maps. It was simply a copy of European knowledge. There is no proof whatsoever that any muslim ships reached America before 1492. The only people for which there is evidence that they got to America during the last few thousand years before Columbus are the Norsemen ("Vikings").

The true "discoverers" of the Americas are the native people anyway.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:08

What, does this guy think he has discovered something new in the Piri Reis map?  There is a good deal of scholarly literature covering the map and its possibilities, but I have never heard it put forward that what Reis thought was Africa was actually the Americas!

One of my side interests is Ottoman perceptions of the New World.  As far as I can tell from what I have studied, there were not many Ottomans (or Muslims, for that matter) who came to the New World in the early period of discoveries, 15th-17th centuries.  I really don't think there were any official Ottoman expeditions to the New World; they concentrated mostly on Eastern Africa and the Indian Ocean for their explorations.

Of the primary source accounts that we have, in which Ottomans discuss the New World, most are copies and borrowings from European accounts.  However, I am always open to finding new mentionings, and according to scholars, there are some original first-hand accounts of the New World written by Ottomans.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:05

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:01
Turkish Professor: Muslims Discovered America!

Presenting some documents, founder of the Institute for History of Arabic-Islamic Science argued that Turkish Muslims discovered America before others.

Tehran, 9 February 2006, (CHN) -- In his commemoration ceremony which was held at the Association of Written Heritage office in Tehran this week, Professor Fuat Sezgin, founder and chairman of the Institute for the History of Arabic-Islamic Science, presented some documents regarding the discovery of America by the Turkish Muslims.

Presenting a map which he called Piri Reis, the 82 year old Turkish Islamic scholar said, There is a map belonging to the 16th Century AD showing the journey of the first people who discovered America which the Chinese and Portuguese claim to be theirs, while due to some reasoning, this map does not belong to them. It was Piri Reis, a Turkish Muslim admiral who noticed for the first time the existence of a region in the west of Africa which was later called America.

Some foreign and domestic scholars in historical and Islamic sciences attended the meeting which was held to honor Sezgins different and abundant researches in the fields of Islamic sciences and the history of sciences.

Praising the Turkish scholars worldwide contributions, Akbar Irani, managing director of Association of Written Heritage said, One of the most important accomplishments of Professor Sezgin is printing over 80 volumes of significant and old Islamic texts which have played key roles in bringing to the surface the glory of Islamic sciences all around the world.

Sezgin was born in Turkey in 1924 and graduated from the University of Istanbul in Islamic Sciences & Iranian Studies in 1954.

In the year 1956 he set off for Germany where he founded the Institute for the History of Arabic-Islamic Science, affiliated with the University of Frankfurt. Fuat Sezgin has published about 750 books by now.

http://www.chn.ir/en/news/?section=1&id=1543

My Gift to our dear Turkish Forumers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314