Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEvolution and Monotheism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evolution and Monotheism
    Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:34
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maziar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

This guy, Harun Yahya, preaches against evolution:

http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/

I wonder how popular are his views among muslim believers ...

Muslims against Evolution - LOL! The Bush camarilla is making friends quickly.

Yeah, looks like Christian thinking being taken up by muslims. I don't see why any muslim needs to deny evolution.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:58

Originally posted by Maziar

Darwin's theory may not be perfect, but it is more logical and acceptable than believing in Adam and Eve myth or God has created the univers befor 6000 years in only 6 days.

Maziar, I thought you were an ex-muslim. Without looking up the exact words, the Qu'ran says:
The universe was created in 6 days, but a day unto Allah is like 50000 years unto man.
The number of years changes in different parts of the Qu'ran to emphise that the number of years is not important, mearly that it is a very long time, aeons.
Quite signifcantly longer than 6000 years.
Surely the rotation of the earth, or the earth about the sun is a silly way of measuring time, when you talking about the creation of the entire universe!

Yes my friend i know that, but here i mean religions generaly, also christianity included. And yes i am an ex-moslem.

Edited by Maziar
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 02:11
So tell us your arguement then, why did you change your faith?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 03:56

Originally posted by barish

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc. The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

You mean Adam existed, but he was looking like a monkey?

The difference between man and ape being cognative thought and intelligence. Why not? In fact if you remove intellegence from humans, we pretty much are monkeys.

Not monkeys (that are another branch of primates) but great apes. But for the rest you are right.

Of course this means if an Ape is a Librarian and a senior faculty member in a certain university, he would count as a man.

This raises a most interesting question. There are no ape librarians obviously but there are apes, specially chimpanzees and bonobos, our closest cousins, that have shown rather surprising intelectual abilities. I read once of a chimp that had been rated of a non-verbal IQ of 80, which is well below human average but above some of our species.

Verbal abilities are surely another specific trait of humankind: Leakey already compared a human and a chimp brain to conclude that it's not just overall size but that there are two main regions of huma brain that are specially overdeveloped: frontal and lateral lobes, the ones in charge of cognitive though and comunication. It seems that our communicative ability, that allows us to exchange knowledge and to organize cooperative effort, is a very important though often underrated human ability.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 06:05

In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maziar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

Where can I find a copy of the Qu'ran? I would like to see for myself how "scientific" it is. Is there a site where I could read the Qu'ran? 

I really doubt that it has plenty of "scientific facts". I think it's as full as the Bible (OT, NT, whatever). Why are the islamic fundamentalists not posting? Their christian counterparts seem to be doing it.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 07:48

Of course this means if an Ape is a Librarian and a senior faculty member in a certain university, he would count as a man.

This raises a most interesting question. There are no ape librarians obviously

Are you casting slurs on my avatar?

And sorry, Omar, while I personally appreciate your remark, if you go around calling the Librarian a man (as opposed to an ex-man) you are likely to have trouble reconnecting your head to your neck

Edited by gcle2003
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:14

So tell us your arguement then, why did you change your faith?

Oh, very difficult question and indeed difficult to answer. It hadn't happened in a one night, i has taken many years. But something is sure, i always had doubt, even on my childhood. I always had to hide my doubt, but now in Germany there is no reason to hide.

King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 21:15
Originally posted by Cezar

Where can I find a copy of the Qu'ran? I would like to see for myself how "scientific" it is. Is there a site where I could read the Qu'ran? 

I really doubt that it has plenty of "scientific facts". I think it's as full as the Bible (OT, NT, whatever). Why are the islamic fundamentalists not posting? Their christian counterparts seem to be doing it.

This looks like a good site, it has three english translations for reference
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

This is a site which links to many Islam and science type sites, I don't know how many are good or not.
http://www.ummah.net/directory/menu/science.html

This one looks Ok, its only on embryology though:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/6377/Embryonic.html

ADDITION: This site was posted in another thread:
http://www.answering-christianity.com/sci_quran.htm

Edited by Omar al Hashim
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 21:37
Originally posted by gcle2003

And sorry, Omar, while I personally appreciate your remark, if you go around calling the Librarian a man (as opposed to an ex-man) you are likely to have trouble reconnecting your head to your neck

I love your avatar. Although I can't recall an incident where anyone called the Librarian a man, most of the head reconnection incidents involve monkeys.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 04:17

Originally posted by gcle2003

I love your avatar. Although I can't recall an incident where anyone called the Librarian a man, most of the head reconnection incidents involve monkeys.

Of course that is more common. I'm just very careful about whom I meet when I'm wandering around the little piece of L-space that my cellar has turned into.

King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 04:58
Unfortunately I have not yet amassed enough books in one place to warp the fabric for space-time so I do not have an entry into L-space.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 06:11

Thanks for the links Omar. I must admit that I like Quran style rather than the Bible's. But that doesn't make it different. It's better written IMO and that's about all. Sorry I'm not getting any faith from it. To take a few words from whatever holy book and state that they are congruent with some scientific theory is pure interpretation. I could quote both the Quran and the Bible and consider the words as being at least hilarious. Keep your faith as long as you don't feel like hurting people because of it.

*BTW what happened to Iblis?

King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 01:20
Do you mean Iblis as in Satan or another Iblis?
If you mean in the Qu'ran the word has probably been translated to Satan or similar.

I've always considered the description of the embryo fairly free of interpretation.
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 12:52

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc.
The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

Omar, for once I must agree with you.  I have often wondered this same thing.  I've always thought that, if evolution does exist, then it is a process that God uses for his purposes.  I don't know why it has become a science versus religion battle.  Proving the existance of evolution (I doubt the scientists have come even close to figuring it out, if exists at all) does not mean that God does not exist.  It simply means that we now know a method he has used to create the life forms we see today.  Of course, I am speaking from a christian standpoint.

Edited by R_AK47
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 13:01
It's become religion vs. science because some fundamentalists like reality to adapt to their dreams... and, well... it seldom happens. It's religious fanatics who attack science in the name of exactitude of the Bible and things like that, it's religious fanatics who want philosophy and tehology to be teached in science classes. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 13:29

Evolution theory is just that, a THEORY.

Charles Darwin was a rasist. He claimed that the white race is higher then all othersand that all other races are the inbetween of Human's and Ape's. It led to evil ideologies such as Nazism and Fasism.

The missing link has yet to be found.

Below is a statement by an evolutionist:

A major problem in proving the theory has been the fossil record; the imprints of vanished species preserved in the Earth's geological formations. This record has never revealed traces of Darwin's hypothetical intermediate variants - instead species appear and disappear abruptly, and this anomaly has fueled the creationist argument that each species was created by God.

Mark Czarnecki, "The Revival of the Creationist Crusade", MacLean's, January 19, 1981, p. 56.

The following is by a creationist:

Life Emerged on Earth Suddenly and in Complex Forms

When terrestrial strata and the fossil record are examined, it is to be seen that all living organisms appeared simultaneously. The oldest stratum of the earth in which fossils of living creatures have been found is that of the Cambrian, which has an estimated age of 500-550 million years.

The living creatures found in the strata belonging to the Cambrian period emerged all of a sudden in the fossil record-there are no pre-existing ancestors. The fossils found in Cambrian rocks belonged to snails, trilobites, sponges, earthworms, jellyfish, sea hedgehogs, and other complex invertebrates. This wide mosaic of living organisms made up of such a great number of complex creatures emerged so suddenly that this miraculous event is referred to as the "Cambrian Explosion" in geological literature.

Most of the creatures in this layer have complex systems have complex systems and advanced structures, such as eyes, gills, and circulatory systems, exactly the same as those in modern specimens. For instance, the double-lensed, combed eye structure of trilobites is a wonder of design. David Raup, a professor of geology in Harvard, Rochester, and Chicago Universities, says: "the trilobites 450 million years ago used an optimal design which would require a well trained and imaginative optical engineer to develop today".28

These complex invertebrates emerged suddenly and completely without having any link or any transitional form between them and the unicellular organisms, which were the only life forms on earth prior to them.

http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/chapter5.php

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 13:53
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Charles Darwin was a rasist. He claimed that the white race is higher then all others

Evidence?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 14:04
Originally posted by OSMANLI

That's it: it is a scientific theory and not just the babbling of a monk in his hallucination.

Charles Darwin was a rasist. He claimed that the white race is higher then all othersand that all other races are the inbetween of Human's and Ape's. It led to evil ideologies such as Nazism and Fasism.

Learn before you talk.

So called "Social-Darwinism" and racism pre-date Darwin. You're mixing apples with elephants.

The missing link has yet to be found.

Hundreds of "mising links" have been found.

Genetics allows us to prescind largely of fossils anyhow.

Below is a statement by an evolutionist:

A major problem in proving the theory has been the fossil record; the imprints of vanished species preserved in the Earth's geological formations. This record has never revealed traces of Darwin's hypothetical intermediate variants - instead species appear and disappear abruptly, and this anomaly has fueled the creationist argument that each species was created by God.

Mark Czarnecki, "The Revival of the Creationist Crusade", MacLean's, January 19, 1981, p. 56.

As I say, with genetics you can skip all that.

Also, we know two things now:
a/ evolution islargely puntuated: it doesn't happene gradually but by sudden jumps
b/ most fossils just can't be found. It's a miracle that we can see some of them

The following is by a creationist:

Life Emerged on Earth Suddenly and in Complex Forms

When terrestrial strata and the fossil record are examined, it is to be seen that all living organisms appeared simultaneously. The oldest stratum of the earth in which fossils of living creatures have been found is that of the Cambrian, which has an estimated age of 500-550 million years.

The living creatures found in the strata belonging to the Cambrian period emerged all of a sudden in the fossil record-there are no pre-existing ancestors. The fossils found in Cambrian rocks belonged to snails, trilobites, sponges, earthworms, jellyfish, sea hedgehogs, and other complex invertebrates. This wide mosaic of living organisms made up of such a great number of complex creatures emerged so suddenly that this miraculous event is referred to as the "Cambrian Explosion" in geological literature.

Most of the creatures in this layer have complex systems have complex systems and advanced structures, such as eyes, gills, and circulatory systems, exactly the same as those in modern specimens. For instance, the double-lensed, combed eye structure of trilobites is a wonder of design. David Raup, a professor of geology in Harvard, Rochester, and Chicago Universities, says: "the trilobites 450 million years ago used an optimal design which would require a well trained and imaginative optical engineer to develop today".28

These complex invertebrates emerged suddenly and completely without having any link or any transitional form between them and the unicellular organisms, which were the only life forms on earth prior to them.

http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/chapter5.php

So what?

It wasn't that way but, if it was that way, what? It is still totally different than how it's written in Genesis.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 18:57

Originally posted by R_AK47

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc.
The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

Omar, for once I must agree with you.  I have often wondered this same thing.  I've always thought that, if evolution does exist, then it is a process that God uses for his purposes.  I don't know why it has become a science versus religion battle.  Proving the existance of evolution (I doubt the scientists have come even close to figuring it out, if exists at all) does not mean that God does not exist.  It simply means that we now know a method he has used to create the life forms we see today.  Of course, I am speaking from a christian standpoint.

It's become religion vs. science because some fundamentalists like reality to adapt to their dreams... and, well... it seldom happens. It's religious fanatics who attack science in the name of exactitude of the Bible and things like that, it's religious fanatics who want philosophy and tehology to be teached in science classes. 

Well said R_AK47. What I would like to know, is why religous fantics see the need to dispute over the theory of evolution.

Originally posted by Osmanli

Osmanli, you sound like the perfect person to answer my question. I take it from that quote that you do not believe in the theory of evolution. I would like to know from what religous stand point do you have any reason to doubt the theory. Agreed it is only a theory but so it the Theory of Gravity. Religously how can you justify arguing with science?
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 19:20

Also, we know two things now:
a/ evolution islargely puntuated: it doesn't happene gradually but by sudden jumps

Gradual speciation cannot account for historical events. Rectangular speciation doesnt make any sense to me - you can prove anything theoretically.

b/ most fossils just can't be found. It's a miracle that we can see some of them

I dont see why. It's too coincidental that you dont find any intermediate species fossils, only distinct ones. 

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>