Print Page | Close Window

Evolution and Monotheism

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Intellectual discussions
Forum Discription: Discuss political and philosophical theories, religious beliefs and other academic subjects
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8687
Printed Date: 27-Apr-2024 at 19:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Evolution and Monotheism
Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Subject: Evolution and Monotheism
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 23:43
What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc.
The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

Replies:
Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 00:20
Some sects or even individuals believe that their holy book must be taken to the letter, particularly some Protestant groups. And in the Bible (OT, Genesis) there is a depiction of the creation that doesn't fit with evolutionary biology however you look at it (birds "are created" before lizards, for instance). They see a problem with that and, instead of adopting a more flexible approach to their book, as other correligionaries do, they prefer to adopt an intrasigent attitude on science.

Sociologically it's mostly a problem in the USA but there's people everywhere that prefer to see error in scientists (humans) than in such ancient mythological text (God).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Periander
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 01:42
(I hope this works now, I just lost a post when the database went borked.)

Maju, I agree.

The Orthodox Church views the Bible as infallible as regards its Ethical and Dogmatical stance, however, when it comes to some points of Science and/or Historical accuracy (such as the date of a battle etc.), the Bible can and does err (cf. human element as well as Inspiration = Synergy).

I am not certain how well this sits with the Roman Catholic Church, Anglicanism or even with the Judaic and Islamic Traditions.

Sociologically, although less vociferous, such stances as displayed by the Christian Right (for example) in the US not only deny certain truths that both Science and History may present, but they end up doing more damage to their cause than good. Such sentiments, unfortunately, can be found even within some Churches who have already made the above distinction...

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:07
In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maziar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:20
(The database borks daily at about 6:00 GMT)

In this case I think the hierarchies are being a moderating force in all hierarchical churches, as they are not acting dogmatically regarding to science (now - they did in the past, as we all know). Instead in the acephallous Protestant enviroment, where the Bible is seen as only guide, many people tend to be acritical with the content of the text and favors a rigid interpretation.

Of course, there are also Catholic fundamentalists and many many moderate and open minded protestants but, in the USA, the role of tele-preachers of more than dubious intent has become a force in itself, that is not controlled by anything but probably money and power.

This doesn't mean that hierarchical churches are inmune to that. It probably depends on other factors, such as culture and public opinion - though, of course, hierarchies are less prone to change easily.

In any case it is a very worrying trend. I just read yesterday that only 48% of Britons believe that the theory of evolution is correct and the percentage of creationists was surprisingly high for Europe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4648598.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4648598.stm

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:26
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maizar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

But Quran doesn't have a story telling how God created evrything. You have to go to the Jewish Old Testament for that (as I understand that the Bible is accepted in Islam as holy book). What saves you probably is that you put all the emphasis in the Quran and not the Bible. Most Christians are saved from literalism because the put emphasis in the New Testament and not in the Old (the Jewish text) but many Protestant sects are truly Judaizing, in the sense that they put at least as much emphasis in the pre-Christian texts (OT) as in the Christian ones (NT). And even in this sense, surely Jews are more flexible and rationalist than some Protestant sects.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 04:03
When a Christian reads the Old Testament literally, it is a recipe for disaster. The point is to read it typologically (prefigurements in the Old towards the New), it saves a lot hassle, especially when it comes to scenes of murder, pillage and battle. The Judaising element that you refer to, Maju, and in no way am I referring to Jews themselves here, leads to off-the-track interpretations... even though it is meant to be literal (cf. some sects who wish to bring on the "Anti-Christ" by becoming part of the pro-Israel lobby.

As regards the Evolution survey in your previous post, perhaps the question is put forth too simplistically. I am sure that many more would have answered "yes" to evolution if the question contained a little consideration for the divinity (I hope you understand what I am getting at here).

Indeed, the Church Hierarchy is less prone to change, especially when one considers dogmatical presuppositions. When it comes to Science, many are more open-minded than both you or I would think. Truth is, that there are some of the hierarchy who are as equally obstinate. None would differ on Creation per se, but many would differ on its processes, whether it be with regards to time, sequence of events - chicken or egg considerations- and other such things.

NB. Thanks for the tip re the database.

Posted By: Leonardo
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 04:28

In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maziar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

This guy, Harun Yahya, preaches against evolution:

http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/ - http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/

I wonder how popular are his views among muslim believers ...

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 06:46

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc. The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

You mean Adam existed, but he was looking like a monkey?

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 07:00
Hello barish,

I don't know why, but each time I encounter the classic Evolution vs Creation argument, the Adam is an ape question is posited.

Some of the Church hierarchy have stated that through divine providence, after having allowed Creation to mature slowly, the divinity "steps in" and gives the most able of the human-ish creature its present form, along with the soul and intellect.

One more thing, Adam in Hebrew (unless a Hebrew scholar can rebuff this) is not only a name for a man, it also is the name for Man.

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 08:01

You have to rather careful in saying things like 'the theory of evolution is correct' (or 'wrong' for that matter) since there are several theories of evolution (Lamark, Lysenko, 'punctuated', 'gestalt'....) many of which are wrong, probably all of which will be proven wrong eventually, since they are scientific theories.

The contrast between scientific theories of evolution and stuff like creationism and ID is that the latter are not testable and therefore totally useless to any attempt to understand the universe.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 10:16
Originally posted by Leonardo

Muslims against Evolution - LOL! The Bush camarilla is making friends quickly.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 10:24
Originally posted by barish

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc. The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

Who cares a bout Adam? It's just a legend. Smart "Abrahmanics" read it loosely in contrast with scientific facts, while fundamentalists of all sects prefer to read it word by word.

We all look like monkeys, we like it or not - though a more adequate word is ape (monkeys have tail). What's the problem with it if that's how actually we were "created"? Are you challenging God because "he" let evolution/Nature to do its job? It doesn't seem a pious attitude to me.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by gcle2003

You have to rather careful in saying things like 'the theory of evolution is correct' (or 'wrong' for that matter) since there are several theories of evolution (Lamark, Lysenko, 'punctuated', 'gestalt'....) many of which are wrong, probably all of which will be proven wrong eventually, since they are scientific theories.

The contrast between scientific theories of evolution and stuff like creationism and ID is that the latter are not testable and therefore totally useless to any attempt to understand the universe.

Ah Lysenko evolution, that brings back memories... Giraffe wanting to stretch their necks.

In science class at school we were taught this theory instead of Darwin. Or rather as what Darwin really meant to say. Fortunately we we're sent to gulags if we disagreed. However shows the ILEA really was controlled from Moscow as everyone suspected.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 15:25
gcle2003, good point. Then there are the problems of missing links etc. But I doubt anyone can really claim today, that the Earth is only 7,000 years old.

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 17:21
Amoungst christians, it seems to me it is protties who have the biggest issues with Evolution.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 17:52

Homo erectus, our ancestore, dated befor 1.7 million and 300,000 years

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 17:56

Darwin's theory may not be perfect, but it is more logical and acceptable than believing in Adam and Eve myth or God has created the univers befor 6000 years in only 6 days.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:27
Originally posted by Maziar

Darwin's theory may not be perfect, but it is more logical and acceptable than believing in Adam and Eve myth or God has created the univers befor 6000 years in only 6 days.

Maziar, I thought you were an ex-muslim. Without looking up the exact words, the Qu'ran says:
The universe was created in 6 days, but a day unto Allah is like 50000 years unto man.
The number of years changes in different parts of the Qu'ran to emphise that the number of years is not important, mearly that it is a very long time, aeons.
Quite signifcantly longer than 6000 years.
Surely the rotation of the earth, or the earth about the sun is a silly way of measuring time, when you talking about the creation of the entire universe!

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:31

The difference between man and ape being cognative thought and intelligence. Why not? In fact if you remove intellegence from humans, we pretty much are monkeys.

Of course this means if an Ape is a Librarian and a senior faculty member in a certain university, he would count as a man.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:34
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Leonardo

Muslims against Evolution - LOL! The Bush camarilla is making friends quickly.

Yeah, looks like Christian thinking being taken up by muslims. I don't see why any muslim needs to deny evolution.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:58

Originally posted by Maziar

Maziar, I thought you were an ex-muslim. Without looking up the exact words, the Qu'ran says:
The universe was created in 6 days, but a day unto Allah is like 50000 years unto man.
The number of years changes in different parts of the Qu'ran to emphise that the number of years is not important, mearly that it is a very long time, aeons.
Quite signifcantly longer than 6000 years.
Surely the rotation of the earth, or the earth about the sun is a silly way of measuring time, when you talking about the creation of the entire universe!

Yes my friend i know that, but here i mean religions generaly, also christianity included. And yes i am an ex-moslem.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 02:11
So tell us your arguement then, why did you change your faith?

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 03:56

The difference between man and ape being cognative thought and intelligence. Why not? In fact if you remove intellegence from humans, we pretty much are monkeys.

Not monkeys (that are another branch of primates) but great apes. But for the rest you are right.

Of course this means if an Ape is a Librarian and a senior faculty member in a certain university, he would count as a man.

This raises a most interesting question. There are no ape librarians obviously but there are apes, specially chimpanzees and bonobos, our closest cousins, that have shown rather surprising intelectual abilities. I read once of a chimp that had been rated of a non-verbal IQ of 80, which is well below human average but above some of our species.

Verbal abilities are surely another specific trait of humankind: Leakey already compared a human and a chimp brain to conclude that it's not just overall size but that there are two main regions of huma brain that are specially overdeveloped: frontal and lateral lobes, the ones in charge of cognitive though and comunication. It seems that our communicative ability, that allows us to exchange knowledge and to organize cooperative effort, is a very important though often underrated human ability.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Cezar
Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 06:05

Where can I find a copy of the Qu'ran? I would like to see for myself how "scientific" it is. Is there a site where I could read the Qu'ran? 

I really doubt that it has plenty of "scientific facts". I think it's as full as the Bible (OT, NT, whatever). Why are the islamic fundamentalists not posting? Their christian counterparts seem to be doing it.

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 07:48

This raises a most interesting question. There are no ape librarians obviously

Are you casting slurs on my avatar?

And sorry, Omar, while I personally appreciate your remark, if you go around calling the Librarian a man (as opposed to an ex-man) you are likely to have trouble reconnecting your head to your neck

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:14

So tell us your arguement then, why did you change your faith?

Oh, very difficult question and indeed difficult to answer. It hadn't happened in a one night, i has taken many years. But something is sure, i always had doubt, even on my childhood. I always had to hide my doubt, but now in Germany there is no reason to hide.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 21:15
Originally posted by Cezar

Where can I find a copy of the Qu'ran? I would like to see for myself how "scientific" it is. Is there a site where I could read the Qu'ran? 

I really doubt that it has plenty of "scientific facts". I think it's as full as the Bible (OT, NT, whatever). Why are the islamic fundamentalists not posting? Their christian counterparts seem to be doing it.

This looks like a good site, it has three english translations for reference
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

This is a site which links to many Islam and science type sites, I don't know how many are good or not.
http://www.ummah.net/directory/menu/science.html

This one looks Ok, its only on embryology though:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/6377/Embryonic.html

ADDITION: This site was posted in another thread:
http://www.answering-christianity.com/sci_quran.htm

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 21:37

And sorry, Omar, while I personally appreciate your remark, if you go around calling the Librarian a man (as opposed to an ex-man) you are likely to have trouble reconnecting your head to your neck

I love your avatar. Although I can't recall an incident where anyone called the Librarian a man, most of the head reconnection incidents involve monkeys.

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 04:17

I love your avatar. Although I can't recall an incident where anyone called the Librarian a man, most of the head reconnection incidents involve monkeys.

Of course that is more common. I'm just very careful about whom I meet when I'm wandering around the little piece of L-space that my cellar has turned into.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 04:58
Unfortunately I have not yet amassed enough books in one place to warp the fabric for space-time so I do not have an entry into L-space.

Posted By: Cezar
Date Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 06:11

Thanks for the links Omar. I must admit that I like Quran style rather than the Bible's. But that doesn't make it different. It's better written IMO and that's about all. Sorry I'm not getting any faith from it. To take a few words from whatever holy book and state that they are congruent with some scientific theory is pure interpretation. I could quote both the Quran and the Bible and consider the words as being at least hilarious. Keep your faith as long as you don't feel like hurting people because of it.

*BTW what happened to Iblis?

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 01:20
Do you mean Iblis as in Satan or another Iblis?
If you mean in the Qu'ran the word has probably been translated to Satan or similar.

I've always considered the description of the embryo fairly free of interpretation.

-------------

Posted By: R_AK47
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 12:52

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc.
The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

Omar, for once I must agree with you.  I have often wondered this same thing.  I've always thought that, if evolution does exist, then it is a process that God uses for his purposes.  I don't know why it has become a science versus religion battle.  Proving the existance of evolution (I doubt the scientists have come even close to figuring it out, if exists at all) does not mean that God does not exist.  It simply means that we now know a method he has used to create the life forms we see today.  Of course, I am speaking from a christian standpoint.

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 13:01
It's become religion vs. science because some fundamentalists like reality to adapt to their dreams... and, well... it seldom happens. It's religious fanatics who attack science in the name of exactitude of the Bible and things like that, it's religious fanatics who want philosophy and tehology to be teached in science classes. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 13:29

Evolution theory is just that, a THEORY.

Charles Darwin was a rasist. He claimed that the white race is higher then all othersand that all other races are the inbetween of Human's and Ape's. It led to evil ideologies such as Nazism and Fasism.

The missing link has yet to be found.

Below is a statement by an evolutionist:

A major problem in proving the theory has been the fossil record; the imprints of vanished species preserved in the Earth's geological formations. This record has never revealed traces of Darwin's hypothetical intermediate variants - instead species appear and disappear abruptly, and this anomaly has fueled the creationist argument that each species was created by God.

Mark Czarnecki, "The Revival of the Creationist Crusade", MacLean's, January 19, 1981, p. 56.

The following is by a creationist:

Life Emerged on Earth Suddenly and in Complex Forms

When terrestrial strata and the fossil record are examined, it is to be seen that all living organisms appeared simultaneously. The oldest stratum of the earth in which fossils of living creatures have been found is that of the Cambrian, which has an estimated age of 500-550 million years.

The living creatures found in the strata belonging to the Cambrian period emerged all of a sudden in the fossil record-there are no pre-existing ancestors. The fossils found in Cambrian rocks belonged to snails, trilobites, sponges, earthworms, jellyfish, sea hedgehogs, and other complex invertebrates. This wide mosaic of living organisms made up of such a great number of complex creatures emerged so suddenly that this miraculous event is referred to as the "Cambrian Explosion" in geological literature.

Most of the creatures in this layer have complex systems have complex systems and advanced structures, such as eyes, gills, and circulatory systems, exactly the same as those in modern specimens. For instance, the double-lensed, combed eye structure of trilobites is a wonder of design. David Raup, a professor of geology in Harvard, Rochester, and Chicago Universities, says: "the trilobites 450 million years ago used an optimal design which would require a well trained and imaginative optical engineer to develop today". http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/chapter5.php#28 - 28

These complex invertebrates emerged suddenly and completely without having any link or any transitional form between them and the unicellular organisms, which were the only life forms on earth prior to them.

http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/chapter5.php - http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/chapter5.php

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 13:53
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Charles Darwin was a rasist. He claimed that the white race is higher then all others

Evidence?

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 14:04

That's it: it is a scientific theory and not just the babbling of a monk in his hallucination.

Charles Darwin was a rasist. He claimed that the white race is higher then all othersand that all other races are the inbetween of Human's and Ape's. It led to evil ideologies such as Nazism and Fasism.

Learn before you talk.

So called "Social-Darwinism" and racism pre-date Darwin. You're mixing apples with elephants.

The missing link has yet to be found.

Hundreds of "mising links" have been found.

Genetics allows us to prescind largely of fossils anyhow.

A major problem in proving the theory has been the fossil record; the imprints of vanished species preserved in the Earth's geological formations. This record has never revealed traces of Darwin's hypothetical intermediate variants - instead species appear and disappear abruptly, and this anomaly has fueled the creationist argument that each species was created by God.

Mark Czarnecki, "The Revival of the Creationist Crusade", MacLean's, January 19, 1981, p. 56.

As I say, with genetics you can skip all that.

Also, we know two things now:
a/ evolution islargely puntuated: it doesn't happene gradually but by sudden jumps
b/ most fossils just can't be found. It's a miracle that we can see some of them

The following is by a creationist:

Life Emerged on Earth Suddenly and in Complex Forms

When terrestrial strata and the fossil record are examined, it is to be seen that all living organisms appeared simultaneously. The oldest stratum of the earth in which fossils of living creatures have been found is that of the Cambrian, which has an estimated age of 500-550 million years.

The living creatures found in the strata belonging to the Cambrian period emerged all of a sudden in the fossil record-there are no pre-existing ancestors. The fossils found in Cambrian rocks belonged to snails, trilobites, sponges, earthworms, jellyfish, sea hedgehogs, and other complex invertebrates. This wide mosaic of living organisms made up of such a great number of complex creatures emerged so suddenly that this miraculous event is referred to as the "Cambrian Explosion" in geological literature.

Most of the creatures in this layer have complex systems have complex systems and advanced structures, such as eyes, gills, and circulatory systems, exactly the same as those in modern specimens. For instance, the double-lensed, combed eye structure of trilobites is a wonder of design. David Raup, a professor of geology in Harvard, Rochester, and Chicago Universities, says: "the trilobites 450 million years ago used an optimal design which would require a well trained and imaginative optical engineer to develop today". http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/chapter5.php#28 -

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 18:57

Originally posted by R_AK47

Omar, for once I must agree with you.  I have often wondered this same thing.  I've always thought that, if evolution does exist, then it is a process that God uses for his purposes.  I don't know why it has become a science versus religion battle.  Proving the existance of evolution (I doubt the scientists have come even close to figuring it out, if exists at all) does not mean that God does not exist.  It simply means that we now know a method he has used to create the life forms we see today.  Of course, I am speaking from a christian standpoint.

It's become religion vs. science because some fundamentalists like reality to adapt to their dreams... and, well... it seldom happens. It's religious fanatics who attack science in the name of exactitude of the Bible and things like that, it's religious fanatics who want philosophy and tehology to be teached in science classes. 

Well said R_AK47. What I would like to know, is why religous fantics see the need to dispute over the theory of evolution.

Originally posted by Osmanli

Osmanli, you sound like the perfect person to answer my question. I take it from that quote that you do not believe in the theory of evolution. I would like to know from what religous stand point do you have any reason to doubt the theory. Agreed it is only a theory but so it the Theory of Gravity. Religously how can you justify arguing with science?

-------------

Posted By: TeldeIndus
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 19:20

a/ evolution islargely puntuated: it doesn't happene gradually but by sudden jumps

Gradual speciation cannot account for historical events. Rectangular speciation doesnt make any sense to me - you can prove anything theoretically.

b/ most fossils just can't be found. It's a miracle that we can see some of them

I dont see why. It's too coincidental that you dont find any intermediate species fossils, only distinct ones. 

-------------
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 21:35

If someone believes in evolution as the system that sustains life on earth that does not means that he/she necessarily believed that no has put that system in place. The concepts of creator and evolution don't have a contradiction. The problem comes up when Christianity has specifics on how the world was created which may not support evolution

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 00:10
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

Gradual speciation cannot account for historical events. Rectangular speciation doesnt make any sense to me - you can prove anything theoretically.

I dont see why. It's too coincidental that you dont find any intermediate species fossils, only distinct ones. 

You do find many intermediate fossils, just not enough to satisfy the always challenging fundmentalist demand: "more, more".

Let's see that I am proving that Yellow and Red are related. You say: "that's theory" I wnat an intermediate fossil. So I "discover" Orange. But you say then, so what? Where is the intermediate fossil between Orange and Yellow, and I discover Yelowish Orange... and so on.

Obviously posing a question is a lot easier than finding "the intermediate fossil".

Anyhow lots and lots of intermediate fossils have been found not just for human species but for many others. We know a lot about evolution now but you can remain beliveing whatever you prefer because there's not enough emphasis in educating people.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Cuauhtemoc
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 22:34
There seems to be an assumption that Macro-evolution is a fact. POINT 1: Micro-evolution is the only type of evolution that has been observed. Micro-evolution are the changes within kinds that we observe in domesticated animals. As hard as it may be to believe, a Great Dane and a Chihuahua can be mated, however size is a problem! Micro-evolution is why we have different types of dogs, horses, cows, pigeons, guppies, ect. Micro-evolution is also seen in nature, finches, iguanas, tortioses all found on the Galapagos islands. MICRO EVOLUTION is thus EMPIRICAL as it has been tested and observed. Macro evolution is NOT EMPIRICAL.

POINT 2:The fossil record has always been a problem for MACRO EVOLUTION, as the quote of the above Macro evolutionist shows regarding Darwin's theory. The fossil record as Osmanli correctly points out has ALWAYS been a problem for Macro-evolution, as missing links of living animals have never been found. In fact some "missing links" have been found, the coelacanth, however, this missing link was found ALIVE off of Africa. So much for the speculation in Macro evolution.

As I say, with genetics you can skip all that.
 POINT 3: DNA has and will continue to make problems for MACRO EVOLUTION too. Maju must be aware of the latest DNA studies which confirm the Bible, the WORD of GOD. However it is NOT surprising that a MACRO evolutionist, like Maju wants to skip the FOSSIL evidence that contradicts Darwin's theory of Macro-evolution. FACT 1: The Bible, thousands of years old, and it is, said all humans came from one couple! GENESIS 3:20 Thus the Bible, a document written by God stated a truth! All humans related to one original couple! FACT 2: DNA studies agree with the BIBLE and proves what it has always said! All humans related to original couple Adam and Eve.
Who would have believed humanity came from one women or man before this discovery? The answer is no one! it is interesting since there was a disregarded theory in an ancient book known as the BIBLE that said all humans were decended from one pair and thus they named them Y chromosome "Adam" and Mitochrondia "Eve"! What could they do with this competing theory but give it grudging recognition? Obviously SCIENTISTS recognise which is the more credible account of CREATION! As you must know the theory advanced before this discovery was that humans evolved from different groups and different parts of the world. Who would dare endorse that theory today?  

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 02:44
Micro and Macro evolution are terms used by creationists to fool people into rejecting evolution. In actuality, macroevolution is nearly universally accepted by those who study evolution.

There are no problems with the DNA data to support "macroevolution." Its just fundamental groups who are promoting it.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 03:24
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Micro and Macro evolution are terms used by creationists to fool people into rejecting evolution. In actuality, macroevolution is nearly universally accepted. 
It is easy to see a distinction between both terms. In fact, I have a college textbook which uses both terms, Biology by Neil A. Campbell which is used in a non religious university. If a college textbook makes the distinction between Macro and Micro, why not deal with the reality of the differences, instead of simply dismiss a legitimate point? I clearly showed and anyone can see, there is a difference between the two terms. Thus the terms are clear and distinctive and I have a college textbook to support my position and the point made must stand if it can't be answered. Point2: The fossil record does not support Macro evolution as the quotation submitted by Osmanli indicats. A quotation that even an Darwinian evolutionist admits. OSMANLI wrote:

I assume your agreeing with this statement made by a Darwinian evolutionist when he honestly admits that the fossil record does not conform to Darwin's theory, as as you did not mention in your response.

There are no problems with the DNA data to support "macroevolution." Its just fundamental groups who are promoting it.
 The DNA studies startled the scientific world, as the popular theory prior to the studies showing we come from one couple as in Genesis 3:20, was that humanity come from different populations and from different parts of the world. The evidence from DNA as we can see shows the theory derived and interpreted from fossil record incorectly, which a Darwinian evolutionist admits does not support macro evolution, as per the quote of Osmanli in his earlier post.  

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 05:02
Why are you disputing evolution but?

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc

Who would have believed humanity came from one women or man before this discovery? The answer is no one! it is interesting since there was a disregarded theory in an ancient book known as the BIBLE that said all humans were decended from one pair and thus they named them Y chromosome "Adam" and Mitochrondia "Eve"! What could they do with this competing theory but give it grudging recognition? Obviously SCIENTISTS recognise which is the more credible account of CREATION! As you must know the theory advanced before this discovery was that humans evolved from different groups and different parts of the world. Who would dare endorse that theory today? 

Could you at least re-write this paragraph please? You must've posted the exact paragraph in 30 of your 32 posts.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 05:51

Why are you disputing evolution but?
My dear friend Omar, are you dealing with the points by saying why are you disputing evolution? The points made my friend speak for themselves.  Can you answer them?

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 06:02
I am not asking, if evolution is correct or not.
I am asking Why a religous person needs to argue over evolution.
Why does the (possible) existance of evolution require a religous person to say "No it cannot be true"?
Why did you even need to post that post?
Why does it affect your faith?
Why don't you say "God is so great, he creating beings in such a beautiful way"?

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 06:17

It just occurred to me to wonder why the title of the thread is 'Evolution and Monotheism'.

Do polytheists have any trouble accepting evolution? I don't see why any more than (like Omar) I can't see why monotheists would.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 06:25

Why does the (possible) existance of evolution require a religous person to say "No it cannot be true"?
Why don't you say "God is so great, he creating beings in such a beautiful way"?
Thank you Omar for your question. The FIRST reason is because the evidence for evolution is not scientific and does not exist. The SECOND reason is that the Word of God says that humanity came from one couple in Genesis 3:20, and science now agrees with God's word as a result of DNA studies. So as you can see it affects faith because of what God revealed as far as how He created humanity. God is great however there is no evidence for Macro evolution and so it is not beautiful. The only evidence we have is for Micro evolution as you know and I pointed out in my post. Now that you see, please answer my points as you can see my points clearly deal with the fact MACRO EVOLUTION is false. In fact did you notice the quote of an Darwinian evolutionist who admits honestly the fossil record does not support Macro evolution?

Evidently Omar not all Musloms agree with you, note this site of Muslim Harun Yahya, he does not agree with you on evolution and that it does not affect the faith of Islam. So not all Muslims view as you do:

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 08:55

There seems to be an assumption that Macro-evolution is a fact. POINT 1: Micro-evolution is the only type of evolution that has been observed. Micro-evolution are the changes within kinds that we observe in domesticated animals. As hard as it may be to believe, a Great Dane and a Chihuahua can be mated, however size is a problem! Micro-evolution is why we have different types of dogs, horses, cows, pigeons, guppies, ect. Micro-evolution is also seen in nature, finches, iguanas, tortioses all found on the Galapagos islands. MICRO EVOLUTION is thus EMPIRICAL as it has been tested and observed. Macro evolution is NOT EMPIRICAL.

That's just rethoric.

First micro-evolution is enough to explain macro-evolution, you just have to wait enough time. Micro-evolution actually demonstrates macro-evolution, the same that satellites demonstrate Relativity. You don't need to directly observe everything: you create a model based in empirical observation and then you prove the model as far as you can. You cant go back to the past physically, you can't stay watching evolution for milennia or evos... but you can check other implications - and that proves the model.

Theories include propositions that may or not be demonstrated. If they are, then the theory is solid; if they aren't, the theory would remain a hypothesis; if they are shown false (and only then), the theory would be demonstrated false or imperfect...

... and a new theory would need to be built and reality-checked.

That's science.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 09:05
Another thing, Cuauhtemoc: evolution is punctuated and accelerated by catastrophes. That explains very well, why the fossil record lacks some intermediate steps that presumably existed.

First the fossil record in incomplete (by definition), it only includes a tiny part of what once was alive and roaming over there. Second, only the most populous species are likely to be found - those transitional (sub)species that lived in small numbers in rare niches are not so likely to be found at all.

You must be reasonable about that.

For instance, a future paleontologist that would study our era, would find lots of homo sapiens, cow, dog and sheep fossils... but wouldn't find many of the related species: chimpanzee, auroch, wolf or moufflon. Particularly chimpanzee and moufflon are much less likely to be found at all, because their natural niches are small, while humans and sheep live in virtually all the planet and in incredible numbers.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 11:35
No, Macro evolution is not false. It is just that the models for macroevolution was not developed as clearly as those for "microevolution" for a while. Macroevolution is a more advanced concept to obsever than microevolution. Creationists have been using that fact that it did not develop coherently to falsely claim that it is not "real".

If you want to read more on macroevolution, here's a site for you:
http://www.micro.utexas.edu/courses/levin/bio304/evolution/macroevolution.html - http://www.micro.utexas.edu/courses/levin/bio304/evolution/m acroevolution.html

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 00:52

It just occurred to me to wonder why the title of the thread is 'Evolution and Monotheism'.

Do polytheists have any trouble accepting evolution? I don't see why any more than (like Omar) I can't see why monotheists would.

Thats a very good point.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 00:58

Thank you Omar for your question. The FIRST reason is because the evidence for evolution is not scientific and does not exist. The SECOND reason is that the Word of God says that humanity came from one couple in Genesis 3:20, and science now agrees with God's word as a result of DNA studies. So as you can see it affects faith because of what God revealed as far as how He created humanity. God is great however there is no evidence for Macro evolution and so it is not beautiful. The only evidence we have is for Micro evolution as you know and I pointed out in my post. Now that you see, please answer my points as you can see my points clearly deal with the fact MACRO EVOLUTION is false. In fact did you notice the quote of an Darwinian evolutionist who admits honestly the fossil record does not support Macro evolution?

Evidently Omar not all Musloms agree with you, note this site of Muslim Harun Yahya, he does not agree with you on evolution and that it does not affect the faith of Islam. So not all Muslims view as you do:

So evolution is at odds with Genesis in the bible? Do you have a quote?

I know not all muslims agree with evolution but why they don't is completely beyond me. Nothing I have ever seen in Islam contradicts evolution and there are a couple of ayats that could even be referring to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 06:49

First micro-evolution is enough to explain macro-evolution, you just have to wait enough time.
How much time Maju? Micro evolution does not explain Macro evolution or we would have countless examples in domesticated animals through intensive breeding humanity has done. Can you give one example of a Macro change in any domesticated animal? Through intensive breeding programs in the laboratory and in farming can you give an example of even one macro evolutionary development?

Another thing, Cuauhtemoc: evolution is punctuated and accelerated by catastrophes. That explains very well, why the fossil record lacks some intermediate steps that presumably existed.
Maju, do you have any proof for punctuated equalibrium? Is that theory proposed because there is evidence for equalibruim? What castastrophy accelerated Macro evolution? Do you have any evidence for these statements? Again evolution is mere speculation and there is no evidence for equilibruim. it was a desparate attempt to explain the contradictions found in the fossil record that contradicts Macro evolution. In fact originally it was call the "hopeful monster"! However as we both know there is no example in the fossil record for punctuated equilibrium.

For instance, a future paleontologist that would study our era, would find lots of homo sapiens, cow, dog and sheep fossils... but wouldn't find many of the related species: chimpanzee, auroch, wolf or moufflon. Particularly chimpanzee and moufflon are much less likely to be found at all, because their natural niches are small, while humans and sheep live in virtually all the planet and in incredible numbers.
However as you the fossil record does not support and in fact contradicts Macro evolution. Your statements are your opinion. Here is a quotation from an Darwinian evolutionist who does not agree with your assessment of the fossil record.

We recognise this darwinian evolutionist knows more then both you and I about the fossil record.

Posted By: Vamun Tianshu
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:08

Still,Creationists have absolutely NO evidence or proof that a God created anything,except writings from books that were written years after their messenger or prophet's time.Evidence leans toward Evolution more than it does Creation,but evidence,however,is not proof.Creationists can say what they will,show us scriptures and writings,but those were all written by humans,and humans can lie,exaggerate,imagine,and dream.Fossil Records,Numbers,Facts and Figures,all those don't mean a damn thing when it comes to finding out what really had a hand in making us what we are today.Logic,and Irationality,what are they really?

A Creationist's Arguement will never change,it'll always be about the Quran,or the Bible,or the Torah,or whatever Religious Book they hold sacred,but the Quran doesn't contradict Evolution directly,so there is some comprimise there.They'll always quote from the book,but Evolutionists will always find something new to back them up.It seems a century old theory is gaining more ground than a two millenia old religion.Thats funny.

-------------

In Honor

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:22

No, Macro evolution is not false. It is just that the models for macroevolution was not developed as clearly as those for "microevolution" for a while. Macroevolution is a more advanced concept to obsever than microevolution. Creationists have been using that fact that it did not develop coherently to falsely claim that it is not "real".

If you want to read more on macroevolution, here's a site for you:
http://www.micro.utexas.edu/courses/levin/bio304/evolution/macroevolution.html - http://www.micro.utexas.edu/courses/levin/bio304/evolution/m acroevolution.html
The pictures on the above website appear to all be Micro evolution. Certainly body shape whether in birds, foxes, rabbits or humans are all example of changes within the types represented. Here is a website that does not agree with the one cited, http://www.nmidnet.org - www.nmidnet.org
Has science shown that macroevolution is fact?  >>

Science takes the position that macroevolution is undisputed fact and insists that it be taught as such in public schools.  However, macroevolution has never been observed...not in the laboratory and not in the wild...and scientists plainly admit in the mainstream scientific literature that the microevolutionary process observed in living populations cannot explain the large scale biological changes and adaptations hypothesized to have taken place in the past.  >>

Macroevolution may have taken place in the past as claimed, however, it has never been observed and because it has never been observed, there is no basis for claiming that it is fact and it should not be presented as such in public schools.

CLEARLY there a debate on issue however Intelligent Design has made inroads.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:35
If 'intelligent' design is so intelligent, then why do people have an appendix? It serves no function but can cause a lot of trouble.
Evolution can explain the appendix as a redudant leftover of an organ that used to be useful in earlier stages of evoltion, but how can the existance such a 'stupid' organ be explained with intelligent design?

-------------

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 14:56
^^^Great, now you just found out god isn't perfect and the universe is going to implode...

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 21:40
Originally posted by Vamun Tianshu

Still,Creationists have absolutely NO evidence or proof that a God created anything,except writings from books that were written years after their messenger or prophet's time.Evidence leans toward Evolution more than it does Creation,but evidence,however,is not proof.

Tianshu says creationists have No evidence, however, offers no evidence at all for what he is advancing. Apparently Tianshu is not aware of the honest assessments of Darwinian evolutionists regarding Macro evolution. These Darwinian evolutionist are disillusioned with the theory of Macro evolution. Here is a quotation from a renown evolutionist.

Pierre-Paul Grassé - distinguished evolutionist, Chair of Evolution (The Sorbonne, Paris),

and past-President (French Acadamie des Sciences).

Indeed, the best studies on evolution have been carried out

by biologists who are not blinded by doctrines and who observe facts coldly without considering

whether they agree or disagree with their theories. Today, our duty is to destroy the myth of

evolution, considered as a simple, understood, and explained phenomenon which keeps rapidly

unfolding before us. Biologists must be encouraged to think about the weaknesses of the

interpretations and extrapolations that theoreticians put forward or lay down as established truths. The

deceit is sometimes unconscious, but not always, since some people, owing to their sectarianism,

purposely overlook reality and refuse to acknowledge the inadequacies and the falsity of their beliefs."

Written by Pierre-Paul Grassé in his book "Evolution of Living Organisms", Academic Press: New York, 1977 p:8..

As we can see men who know more about macro evolution then Tianshu and I, are disillusioned with the theory. Many people unfortunately choose to disregard the honest statements by disillusioned darwinian, macro evolutionist, and like Tianshu lapse into blind faith to continue to believe in a collapsing theory.

Fossil Records,Numbers,Facts and Figures,all those don't mean a damn thing when it comes to finding out what really had a hand in making us what we are today.
Tianshu is thowing what is supposely the support of evolution out of the window. It does not surprise me Tianshu says the fossil record, among other things does not matter, because the fossil record, among other things, in fact contradicts the theory of macro evolutionist and actually supports creationists. Tianshu has "blind faith". He does not need evidence or facts for his beliefs. Tianshu must agree with the above dillusioned darwinian macro evolutonist for like Tianshu, he finds there is no evidence for the myth of macro evolution? Tianshu must realize from the above quote in my previous post that the fossil record by another evolutionist, instead of supporting macro evolution, the fossils actually supports creationists or actually the Intelligent Design position. Here is the quote in question,Quote:

As we see, Tianshu and I and this darwinian macro evolutionist agree that there is no evidence for darwin's theory of evolution. Instead the above quote shows the fossil record supports intelligent design as "species appear and disappear abruptly" That is what a creationist would expect to find in the fossil record. Yet Tianshu says there is "no evidence" for the creationist or intelligent design position? 

Arguement will never change,it'll always be about the Quran,or the Bible,or the Torah,or whatever Religious Book they hold sacred
I have advanced a scientific point, and as all know who have been reading my posts, I have been advancing the evidence from DNA studies that say all men and women come from one original couple and we all know that is a scientific fact. How can Tianshu say I have not advanced a scientific point? I have also pointed out in this thread the fact that GENESIS 3:20 also says humanity came from one original couple. Thus science has confirmed what a book written thousands of years ago is true.  Science now agrees with the Word of God, the Bible that all humanity came from one couple. Who would believe such a thing, before these DNA studies showed we are from one original couple? In fact the most popular theory, was that humanity resulted from separate populations in different areas. These conclusions were drawn as a result of fossil evidence and based on interpretations of skulls and cranial size. Who would believe that now, after these DNA studies today?

always quote from the book,but Evolutionists will always find something new to back them up.It seems a century old theory is gaining more ground than a two millenia old religion.Thats funny.
The problem with what Tianshu is saying here, is it is not true. In fact as I quoted Dr. Pierre-Paul Grasse above, they are saying the opposite of Tianshu and that the theory of macro evolution should be dropped. Maybe another quotation from a disillusioned darwinian evolutionist will help.

"I know that, at least in Paleoanthropology, data are still so sparse that theory heavily influences

interpretations. Theories have, in the past, clearly reflected our current ideologies instead of the actual

data." David Pilbeam in his article "Rearranging Our Family Tree" in Human Nature, June, 1978 p:45

I would Tianshu rather have a discussion on the facts in order to arrive at logical conclusions. http://www.bible.ca - www.bible.ca

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 22:06
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

If 'intelligent' design is so intelligent, then why do people have an appendix? It serves no function but can cause a lot of trouble.
Evolution can explain the appendix as a redudant leftover of an organ that used to be useful in earlier stages of evoltion, but how can the existance such a 'stupid' organ be explained with intelligent design?
Hi hermano Mixcoatl, you may not be aware of the latest scientific advances in understanding functions of the so called "vestigial organs". It is unfortuanate universities continue to teach this in science classes, for I am sure they must be aware of the current discoveries. When the vestigial argument was originally made over 100 years ago, the uses of many organs were not understood. As you know many medical advances have occured since then and with those advances have come the understanding of the use of the supposed vestigial organs.This misused point, "vestigial organs" should be dropped as this is not a legitimate or factual point. Could darwinian macro evolutionists have misrepresented the facts to us? The understandings about these organs are a result of medical science and not creationistst ideaology as so many groundlessly say and the quote will clearly show that. Here are some quote,

The appendix has long been categorized as a useless vestigial organ, but this is totally inaccurate.

Since the 1960’s it has been scientifically known that it has an important lymphatic and antibody

production function, as part of the body’s immune system. See Dr Jerry Bergman and Dr George Howe’s review of the

scientific literature in their book “Vestigial Organs are Fully Functional”, CRS Monograph Series No. 4, 1993

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 22:25
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

^^^Great, now you just found out god isn't perfect and the universe is going to implode...
Hi SearchAndDestroy, God is perfect and as He wrote in the Bible, in Genesis 3:20, which is thousands of years old, all humanity is related to one original couple. As we know that original couple is Adam and Eve. Science through DNA studies, SearchAndDestroy, now confirms what the Word of God has always said. Science now agrees as it traces humanities ancestry to one original couple, Y Chromosome Adam and Mitochondria Eve. These are facts that can't be disputed as anyone can check out the verse I cited in the Bible and do a search for the studies on DNA that confirm it. The previous theory, before this discovery as a result of DNA research, was that humanity arose from different groups in different parts of the world. This theory was advanced because of fossil discoveries and the interpretation of skulls and cranial size. However the fossil record does not support darwinian macro evolution. Here is a quote, Quote:

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 00:29
You are repeating yourself Cuauhtemoc.

Believe what you wish... but I suggest you to study the matter in depth and give authority to scientists (serious people) not to tele-preachers (Bible-sellers who would sell their own mother if that would give them money or power).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 01:06

You are repeating yourself Cuauhtemoc.

Believe what you wish... but I suggest you to study the matter in depth and give authority to scientists (serious people) not to tele-preachers (Bible-sellers who would sell their own mother if that would give them money or power).
No Maju as everyone sees, I have addressed every question that was asked of me by any previous post. I have not run or had to make prejudicial statements as you did above. It seems you cannot support your position and so instead of doing that, you seek to use predudicial statements not true, for I don't agree or listen to tele evangelist preachers. However I am glad you made this post for I will give you a quote of a serious scientist who is disillusioned with the darwinian theory of macro evolution and who you define as a serious person and who does not agree with you. Quote:
Søren Løvtrup - evolutionist.

Søren Løvtrup does not adhere to the commonly promulgated Darwinian theory of evolution. He maintains that the logical consequence of any form of Darwinism "requires us to surrender our common sense". He claims that Darwinism is like the emperor's new clothes in the Hans Christian

Anderson tale - "nakedly false". New Scientist, October 15, 1988 p:66

"I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest deceit in the history of

science. When this happens many people will pose the question: How did this ever happen?" S. Lovtrup in

"Darwinism: The Refutation of a Myth", Croom Helm: London, 1987 p:422; Quoted in New Scientist, October 15, 1988 p:66

It seems to me, due to this quotation, your belief in darwinian macro evolution is nothing more then blind faith, the very thing you accuse religioius people of doing. Instead of simply saying false prejucial statements, for I have done personal study, why not dear friend, Maju, consider the facts I have presented to you in our previous posts.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:43
The quotes you've all cited are all from the 1970s and 1980s. As I've mentioned earlier, Macro evolution theory was not consistentenly developed until recent times.

It is unquestionable that evolutionary theory has changed dramatically since then.

Since this post has evolved to the same eiscussion as that in the "Genesis" thread. I'm closing this one to prevent redundency. Please post in that thread.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com