Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEvolution and Monotheism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evolution and Monotheism
    Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 23:43
What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc.
The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 00:20
Some sects or even individuals believe that their holy book must be taken to the letter, particularly some Protestant groups. And in the Bible (OT, Genesis) there is a depiction of the creation that doesn't fit with evolutionary biology however you look at it (birds "are created" before lizards, for instance). They see a problem with that and, instead of adopting a more flexible approach to their book, as other correligionaries do, they prefer to adopt an intrasigent attitude on science.

Sociologically it's mostly a problem in the USA but there's people everywhere that prefer to see error in scientists (humans) than in such ancient mythological text (God).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Periander View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 01:42
(I hope this works now, I just lost a post when the database went borked.)

Maju, I agree.

The Orthodox Church views the Bible as infallible as regards its Ethical and Dogmatical stance, however, when it comes to some points of Science and/or Historical accuracy (such as the date of a battle etc.), the Bible can and does err (cf. human element as well as Inspiration = Synergy).

I am not certain how well this sits with the Roman Catholic Church, Anglicanism or even with the Judaic and Islamic Traditions.

Sociologically, although less vociferous, such stances as displayed by the Christian Right (for example) in the US not only deny certain truths that both Science and History may present, but they end up doing more damage to their cause than good. Such sentiments, unfortunately, can be found even within some Churches who have already made the above distinction...
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:07
In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maziar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

Edited by Omar al Hashim
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:20
(The database borks daily at about 6:00 GMT)

In this case I think the hierarchies are being a moderating force in all hierarchical churches, as they are not acting dogmatically regarding to science (now - they did in the past, as we all know). Instead in the acephallous Protestant enviroment, where the Bible is seen as only guide, many people tend to be acritical with the content of the text and favors a rigid interpretation.

Of course, there are also Catholic fundamentalists and many many moderate and open minded protestants but, in the USA, the role of tele-preachers of more than dubious intent has become a force in itself, that is not controlled by anything but probably money and power.

This doesn't mean that hierarchical churches are inmune to that. It probably depends on other factors, such as culture and public opinion - though, of course, hierarchies are less prone to change easily.

In any case it is a very worrying trend. I just read yesterday that only 48% of Britons believe that the theory of evolution is correct and the percentage of creationists was surprisingly high for Europe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4648598.stm

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:26
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maizar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

But Quran doesn't have a story telling how God created evrything. You have to go to the Jewish Old Testament for that (as I understand that the Bible is accepted in Islam as holy book). What saves you probably is that you put all the emphasis in the Quran and not the Bible. Most Christians are saved from literalism because the put emphasis in the New Testament and not in the Old (the Jewish text) but many Protestant sects are truly Judaizing, in the sense that they put at least as much emphasis in the pre-Christian texts (OT) as in the Christian ones (NT). And even in this sense, surely Jews are more flexible and rationalist than some Protestant sects.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Periander View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 04:03
When a Christian reads the Old Testament literally, it is a recipe for disaster. The point is to read it typologically (prefigurements in the Old towards the New), it saves a lot hassle, especially when it comes to scenes of murder, pillage and battle. The Judaising element that you refer to, Maju, and in no way am I referring to Jews themselves here, leads to off-the-track interpretations... even though it is meant to be literal (cf. some sects who wish to bring on the "Anti-Christ" by becoming part of the pro-Israel lobby.

As regards the Evolution survey in your previous post, perhaps the question is put forth too simplistically. I am sure that many more would have answered "yes" to evolution if the question contained a little consideration for the divinity (I hope you understand what I am getting at here).

Indeed, the Church Hierarchy is less prone to change, especially when one considers dogmatical presuppositions. When it comes to Science, many are more open-minded than both you or I would think. Truth is, that there are some of the hierarchy who are as equally obstinate. None would differ on Creation per se, but many would differ on its processes, whether it be with regards to time, sequence of events - chicken or egg considerations- and other such things.

NB. Thanks for the tip re the database.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 04:28

In Islam I can't see any problem, the Qu'ran has plenty of scientific facts in it and everyone has turned out to be correct. I consider Evolution to be one of these, although Maziar in the idoletry thread seems to disagree.

This guy, Harun Yahya, preaches against evolution:

http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/

I wonder how popular are his views among muslim believers ...

Edited by Leonardo
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 06:46

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc. The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

You mean Adam existed, but he was looking like a monkey?
Periander View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 07:00
Hello barish,

I don't know why, but each time I encounter the classic Evolution vs Creation argument, the Adam is an ape question is posited.

Some of the Church hierarchy have stated that through divine providence, after having allowed Creation to mature slowly, the divinity "steps in" and gives the most able of the human-ish creature its present form, along with the soul and intellect.

One more thing, Adam in Hebrew (unless a Hebrew scholar can rebuff this) is not only a name for a man, it also is the name for Man.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 08:01

You have to rather careful in saying things like 'the theory of evolution is correct' (or 'wrong' for that matter) since there are several theories of evolution (Lamark, Lysenko, 'punctuated', 'gestalt'....) many of which are wrong, probably all of which will be proven wrong eventually, since they are scientific theories.

The contrast between scientific theories of evolution and stuff like creationism and ID is that the latter are not testable and therefore totally useless to any attempt to understand the universe.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 10:16
Originally posted by Leonardo

This guy, Harun Yahya, preaches against evolution:

http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/

I wonder how popular are his views among muslim believers ...

Muslims against Evolution - LOL! The Bush camarilla is making friends quickly.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 10:24
Originally posted by barish

What I don't understand, is what the problem with evolution is. How does evolution have any affect on anyones religous beliefs regardless of whether they are muslim, christian, hindu etc. The way I understand it, is that because it exists, God must have meant it to exist.

Who cares a bout Adam? It's just a legend. Smart "Abrahmanics" read it loosely in contrast with scientific facts, while fundamentalists of all sects prefer to read it word by word.

We all look like monkeys, we like it or not - though a more adequate word is ape (monkeys have tail). What's the problem with it if that's how actually we were "created"? Are you challenging God because "he" let evolution/Nature to do its job? It doesn't seem a pious attitude to me.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by gcle2003

You have to rather careful in saying things like 'the theory of evolution is correct' (or 'wrong' for that matter) since there are several theories of evolution (Lamark, Lysenko, 'punctuated', 'gestalt'....) many of which are wrong, probably all of which will be proven wrong eventually, since they are scientific theories.

The contrast between scientific theories of evolution and stuff like creationism and ID is that the latter are not testable and therefore totally useless to any attempt to understand the universe.

Ah Lysenko evolution, that brings back memories... Giraffe wanting to stretch their necks.

In science class at school we were taught this theory instead of Darwin. Or rather as what Darwin really meant to say. Fortunately we we're sent to gulags if we disagreed. However shows the ILEA really was controlled from Moscow as everyone suspected.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Periander View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 15:25
gcle2003, good point. Then there are the problems of missing links etc. But I doubt anyone can really claim today, that the Earth is only 7,000 years old.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 17:21
Amoungst christians, it seems to me it is protties who have the biggest issues with Evolution.
Arrrgh!!"
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 17:52

Homo erectus, our ancestore, dated befor 1.7 million and 300,000 years

Edited by Maziar
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 17:56

Darwin's theory may not be perfect, but it is more logical and acceptable than believing in Adam and Eve myth or God has created the univers befor 6000 years in only 6 days.

King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:27
Originally posted by Maziar

Darwin's theory may not be perfect, but it is more logical and acceptable than believing in Adam and Eve myth or God has created the univers befor 6000 years in only 6 days.

Maziar, I thought you were an ex-muslim. Without looking up the exact words, the Qu'ran says:
The universe was created in 6 days, but a day unto Allah is like 50000 years unto man.
The number of years changes in different parts of the Qu'ran to emphise that the number of years is not important, mearly that it is a very long time, aeons.
Quite signifcantly longer than 6000 years.
Surely the rotation of the earth, or the earth about the sun is a silly way of measuring time, when you talking about the creation of the entire universe!
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:31
Originally posted by barish

The difference between man and ape being cognative thought and intelligence. Why not? In fact if you remove intellegence from humans, we pretty much are monkeys.

Of course this means if an Ape is a Librarian and a senior faculty member in a certain university, he would count as a man.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>