Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War brings out the best in men...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SJI Lasallian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War brings out the best in men...
    Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:22

War brings out the best in men...do you agree?

War brings out courage and test the real character of oneself. War also pushes men to their limits whether it's emotionally or physically and it's a tremendous yet cruel experience for men. Do you agree?

"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:24
Yes, but dom't forget it also brings out the worst.
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:30

Wounding and cornering a badger brings out the best in badgers

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:52

Wounding and cornering a badger brings out the best in badgers

Badgers..........We don't need no stinking Badgers!

I tend to agree with both SJI and Styrbiorn. War can cause terrible things like have soldiers mow down an entire line of civilians while having good qualities brought out with a soldier sacrificing his life to save that same line of civilians.

I think only one word can describe war accurately and that is emotional.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:57
Originally posted by SJI Lasallian

War brings out the best in men...do you agree?

no. It brings out the evillest in men.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 13:08
Unfortunately yes Lasallian,countless examples show that war and adversity sometimes unveil the best we are capable of. It is perhaps to counter the depths of evil in war.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 14:22
the evil out weigs the good by a longshot, as I dont view bravery and waht not as good per se just survival instinct or companion loyalty drive on overload.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 15:51
The spark that ignites the war is evil.  It does bring out the best in men.. but what happens to those men?

War is evil... the quintessence of all negative emotions in a human being brought out on a global scale.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 21:21
i believe(unforuntatly)(i believe i mangled the spelling on that word) that war brings out the best in men, but also it brings out the worst in men, and once again, unfortuneatly(mangled again ) the worst out weighs the best
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 22:11

All negative emotions? No, war is the epitome of human strife. It's not all the largest negative emotions, far from it. How did Britian and France get involved in WWII? Because they hated Hitler? Not really. But yes, it does bring out evil.

And also inspires us to advance faster.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 22:45
War is the way in which boys turn to men, and men to barbarians. The true boys will die, the true men shall either live and fight or at the worst die a glorious death, and the true barbarians remain barbarians in times of peace.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 02:10

Anyone who says that war brings the best in man, certainly doesn't have a clue of the real nature of war.

Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 09:17
The best in men would be brought out in the hope of stopping the 'evils' of other men...without bringing out their best and pushing themselves to the limit, this 'evil' would almost be impossible to stop.
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 09:24
War gives men power over other people but it also makes men vulnerable. With this power comes the ultimate test of character for men and it would certainly change the lives and future of mankind whether it's for good or bad.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 09:51
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:41
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Pal, Im not sure how old are you, but I can tell not enough to be in a war.

Very few forumers as Glinert how served in Afganistan or one of our polish folks ( Im not sure if TJK or Maciek ) served in the Army as I did back in 1994, but war is everything but glorious.

Aye, looking at the posts can give you quite a grip on the age of the posters.

Personally, I have no first hand experice (I'm grateful for that!), only the national military service, though I've heard quite a few testimonies/stories from people who served in the Balkans and Congo.

For all those who believe that wars are all Glory and Honour, do some reading on Nanking, Magdeburg, the Balkans or preferably a soldier's diary.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:55

or look on the blogs of troops in Iraq right now, none of them seem very happy...

War may turn boy sinto men, but I think wed be all beter off as boys, without the mad ambitions and creul intentions of men

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 15:35
Well... If you define glorious as brutally murdering people, it is glorious.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 17:25
I think some people are getting me wrong here. I'm not saying that war is glorious and I certainly don't think it is. However, what I'm trying to say now is that war force the 'best' out of us... and this 'best' does not have to be good, this 'best' is basically a special 'thing' that one have a talent for... I'm not saying war brings out the 'good' of men, please don't get me wrong and I'm sorry if I misled anyone.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 18:32

I think some people are getting me wrong here. I'm not saying that war is glorious and I certainly don't think it is. However, what I'm trying to say now is that war force the 'best' out of us... and this 'best' does not have to be good, this 'best' is basically a special 'thing' that one have a talent for... I'm not saying war brings out the 'good' of men, please don't get me wrong and I'm sorry if I misled anyone

What a load of balony basically. When you see the gut and the brain of your friend spill in front of you, then come back and say war bring the best. If you want to win war you have to summon what is the worst in you. Take vietnam for example, even the US who claimed the moral high ground has been killing babies, raping and even at time mass murdering civilians. They did that because of the horror they've seen, gradually all humanity is taken away from them, and they become no more than dogs, war dogs with only one purpose to kill as efficiently as possible.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>