Print Page | Close Window

War brings out the best in men...

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: General World History
Forum Discription: All aspects of world history, especially topics that span across many regions or periods
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=849
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 11:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: War brings out the best in men...
Posted By: SJI Lasallian
Subject: War brings out the best in men...
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:22

War brings out the best in men...do you agree?

War brings out courage and test the real character of oneself. War also pushes men to their limits whether it's emotionally or physically and it's a tremendous yet cruel experience for men. Do you agree?

-------------
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)

Replies:
Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:24
Yes, but dom't forget it also brings out the worst.

Posted By: TMPikachu
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:30

Wounding and cornering a badger brings out the best in badgers

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:52

Wounding and cornering a badger brings out the best in badgers

Badgers..........We don't need no stinking Badgers!

I tend to agree with both SJI and Styrbiorn. War can cause terrible things like have soldiers mow down an entire line of civilians while having good qualities brought out with a soldier sacrificing his life to save that same line of civilians.

I think only one word can describe war accurately and that is emotional.

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:57
Originally posted by SJI Lasallian

War brings out the best in men...do you agree?

no. It brings out the evillest in men.

-------------

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 13:08
Unfortunately yes Lasallian,countless examples show that war and adversity sometimes unveil the best we are capable of. It is perhaps to counter the depths of evil in war.

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 14:22
the evil out weigs the good by a longshot, as I dont view bravery and waht not as good per se just survival instinct or companion loyalty drive on overload.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Kubrat
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 15:51
The spark that ignites the war is evil.  It does bring out the best in men.. but what happens to those men?

War is evil... the quintessence of all negative emotions in a human being brought out on a global scale.

-------------
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare

Posted By: white dragon
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 21:21
i believe(unforuntatly)(i believe i mangled the spelling on that word) that war brings out the best in men, but also it brings out the worst in men, and once again, unfortuneatly(mangled again ) the worst out weighs the best

-------------
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman

Posted By: Abyssmal Fiend
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 22:11

All negative emotions? No, war is the epitome of human strife. It's not all the largest negative emotions, far from it. How did Britian and France get involved in WWII? Because they hated Hitler? Not really. But yes, it does bring out evil.

And also inspires us to advance faster.

-------------

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 22:45
War is the way in which boys turn to men, and men to barbarians. The true boys will die, the true men shall either live and fight or at the worst die a glorious death, and the true barbarians remain barbarians in times of peace.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 02:10

Anyone who says that war brings the best in man, certainly doesn't have a clue of the real nature of war.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 09:17
The best in men would be brought out in the hope of stopping the 'evils' of other men...without bringing out their best and pushing themselves to the limit, this 'evil' would almost be impossible to stop.

-------------
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 09:24
War gives men power over other people but it also makes men vulnerable. With this power comes the ultimate test of character for men and it would certainly change the lives and future of mankind whether it's for good or bad.

-------------

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 09:51
-

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:41
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Pal, Im not sure how old are you, but I can tell not enough to be in a war.

Very few forumers as Glinert how served in Afganistan or one of our polish folks ( Im not sure if TJK or Maciek ) served in the Army as I did back in 1994, but war is everything but glorious.

Aye, looking at the posts can give you quite a grip on the age of the posters.

Personally, I have no first hand experice (I'm grateful for that!), only the national military service, though I've heard quite a few testimonies/stories from people who served in the Balkans and Congo.

For all those who believe that wars are all Glory and Honour, do some reading on Nanking, Magdeburg, the Balkans or preferably a soldier's diary.

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:55

or look on the blogs of troops in Iraq right now, none of them seem very happy...

War may turn boy sinto men, but I think wed be all beter off as boys, without the mad ambitions and creul intentions of men

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Abyssmal Fiend
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 15:35
Well... If you define glorious as brutally murdering people, it is glorious.

-------------

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 17:25
I think some people are getting me wrong here. I'm not saying that war is glorious and I certainly don't think it is. However, what I'm trying to say now is that war force the 'best' out of us... and this 'best' does not have to be good, this 'best' is basically a special 'thing' that one have a talent for... I'm not saying war brings out the 'good' of men, please don't get me wrong and I'm sorry if I misled anyone.

-------------

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 18:32

I think some people are getting me wrong here. I'm not saying that war is glorious and I certainly don't think it is. However, what I'm trying to say now is that war force the 'best' out of us... and this 'best' does not have to be good, this 'best' is basically a special 'thing' that one have a talent for... I'm not saying war brings out the 'good' of men, please don't get me wrong and I'm sorry if I misled anyone

What a load of balony basically. When you see the gut and the brain of your friend spill in front of you, then come back and say war bring the best. If you want to win war you have to summon what is the worst in you. Take vietnam for example, even the US who claimed the moral high ground has been killing babies, raping and even at time mass murdering civilians. They did that because of the horror they've seen, gradually all humanity is taken away from them, and they become no more than dogs, war dogs with only one purpose to kill as efficiently as possible.

-------------

Posted By: Genghis
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 23:24

Let us hope that the best and evilest shall remain inside all of us and not be pried out by war.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 08:54
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

What a load of balony basically. When you see the gut and the brain of your friend spill in front of you, then come back and say war bring the best. If you want to win war you have to summon what is the worst in you. Take vietnam for example, even the US who claimed the moral high ground has been killing babies, raping and even at time mass murdering civilians. They did that because of the horror they've seen, gradually all humanity is taken away from them, and they become no more than dogs, war dogs with only one purpose to kill as efficiently as possible.

Now again, I don't mean to define that the 'best' is the nature of the things you do.

What I'm trying to put across to everyone is that war pushes men to their limits and produce their 'best' performance. For example, Hitler 'invented' the new 'Blitz' strategy that took the world by storm and even for all the evils he has done, no one can deny the fact that he was a military genius. Hitler could never have achieved this if the war had not pushed him to the top of his abilities and caused him to produce his 'best' military tactics...

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 10:17
-

Posted By: Sharrukin
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:17

For example, Hitler 'invented' the new 'Blitz' strategy that took the world by storm and even for all the evils he has done, no one can deny the fact that he was a military genius.

Whether Hitler was a "military genius" is quite debatable.  Some, if not more, attribute German military success to his generals and other military commanders, rather than to him.  Some attribute German failures to Hitler not listening to his generals. 

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:24
Hitler "military genious"? That is quite debatable.
Bad choices on the manufacture of certain weapons and gun types, the using of the 262, are the tip of the iceberg for this man evidently.
His Generals did indeed consider him a military fool. They said he would give broad orders overlooking a map saying" go here, push here", without even considering the consequences or the situation.

-------------

Posted By: Kubrat
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:39

Aye, looking at the posts can give you quite a grip on the age of the posters.

Really?  What's my age?

Let us hope that the best and evilest shall remain inside all of us and not be pried out by war.

I agree with this too.

-------------
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 05:52
Ok, it may be debatable whether Hitler was a real 'military genius'... but we can't deny the fact that the ones who made this possible can also be called 'military geniuses' ...

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 05:54
However, all these tactics would never exist if there wasn't a World War II...because everyone would just not bother about them...

-------------

Posted By: fastspawn
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 09:01
Winning the Peace brings about the best in men

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 10:55
 true...

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 11:50
-

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 20:40
Everyone makes mistakes...even a genius. Napoleon is widely known as a military genius but he still made mistakes...

-------------

Posted By: white dragon
Date Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 14:52
(quote)Let us hope that the best and evilest shall remain inside all of us and not be pried out by war.(end quote)

agreed

-------------
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 15:44

Ok, it may be debatable whether Hitler was a real 'military genius'... but we can't deny the fact that the ones who made this possible can also be called 'military geniuses' ...

Actually it is not debatable. Hitler was a real military idiot, not genius. I would say that Germany would have chance to win that war if Hitler ddint try to put his 2 cents into every plan of his HQ.

The only thing which can be debatable is if Hitler was or wasnt political genius. He was able to take Austria and Czechoslovakia without a shot. If he gave up after Czechoslovakia i guess that he would be today considered a second Bismarck. But his problem was that he didnt know when to stop so it might be debatable if he was a political genius or not. He didnt forseen his final disaster.

Everyone makes mistakes...even a genius. Napoleon is widely known as a military genius but he still made mistakes......

Napoleon was great. You can think about him that he was evil or good, you can think whatever you want about him but it still doesnt change the fact that Napoleon was great and he wouldnt even care for your opinion. While Hitler was just pathetic. Comparing those 2 one to other is just pointless. Its moreless like comparing Augustus to Heliogabal.

Posted By: TMPikachu
Date Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 19:34

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Now again, I don't mean to define that the 'best' is the nature of the things you do.

What I'm trying to put across to everyone is that war pushes men to their limits and produce their 'best' performance. For example, Hitler 'invented' the new 'Blitz' strategy that took the world by storm and even for all the evils he has done, no one can deny the fact that he was a military genius. Hitler could never have achieved this if the war had not pushed him to the top of his abilities and caused him to produce his 'best' military tactics...

Hmmm, well... he didn't really 'invent' anything. It seems kinda obvious that "catch them with their pants down and don't stop the beating!" is a good way to fight. It's kinda expected that a war stratedgy would be thought up of, and used in war though.

Ice cream cones were invented during peace time, at the world's fair. Noone had to die to make that genious apply waffle to icecream.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com