Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy
    Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 17:33
ROMAN CATHOLICISM and EASTERN ORTHODOXY
I N  B O S N I A  A N D  H E R Z E G O V I N A

ROMAN CATHOLICISM

Roman Catholicism arrived in Bosnia and Herzegovina at roughly the same time it did elsewhere in the Roman Empire but was much slower to spread and take hold.

Pagan Illyrian cultural practices adopted by the Slavs of Bosnia and Herzegovina were still commonplace in these early years and, for a time, greatly influenced Bosnian perceptions and understanding of Roman Catholicism.

During this era, Bosnia and Herzegovina was not recognized as a distinct nation but existed as a region of the territory that would one day constitute Croatia. The Bosnian Catholic diocese of VrhBosna ruled over the core of the Bosnian region but had very little power beyond the Miljacka Valley settlements.

It was from this VrhBosna diocese that the distinct and heretical Bosnian Church developed, having mirrored developments that had long ago taken hold in the surrounding countryside. King Kulin became the first leader of the Bosnian region as a political entity.

He was a devout member of the Bosnian Church and - although he renounced his heretical beliefs to the Pope in an attempt to stay numerous Roman Catholic incursions into the area - he and his heirs, right up until the Kotromanic family, practiced the Bosnian faith.

The pink and orange areas of this map depicts the VrhBosna region over which King Kulin reigned.

The rise of the Bosnian church did not spell the end of Roman Catholicism in the region. Franciscan monks have operated on the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina continuously for the past several centuries. They converted many pagans and members of the Bosnian church.

In addition, Bosnia and Herzegovina expanded its borders to include neighboring regions where Roman Catholicism was still the accepted faith.

While the Roman Catholic church was responsible for many forays into Bosnia and Herzegovina - attempts to exterminate the Bosnian church that left thousands slaughtered - it is important to note none of these incursions were carried out or supported by Roman Catholics on the territory of what is now Bosnia and Herzegovina.

EASTERN ORTHODOXY

Eastern Orthodoxy, on the other hand, was a relative new-comer to the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina. In fact, the first Orthodox churches in Bosnia and Herzegovina were actually built in Serbia. They became a part of Bosnia and Herzegovina only during the Kotromanic dynasty's wars of territorial conquest with Serbia near the end of the independent Bosnian kingdom (See the eastern yellow area on the map)

"The original Bosnia and the parts of the Croatian kingdom annexed up until the reign of Stjepan II Kotromanic, did not have any Orthodox inhabitants. But an Orthodox population could be found in those border regions which earlier belonged to medieval Serbia, and which during the reigns of Stjepan II (east Zahumlje) and Tvrtko I (Podrinje, Travunja) became a part of Bosnia. Only in those border regions, in the east and south-east, which became a part of an enlarged Bosnia, could one find Orthodox churches and convents."
(Bosnian Borders, by Tomislav Rauka)

During the Kotromanic reign, the first Orthodox churches were built in the heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina but serviced relatively small populations. In fact, more than 30 per cent of Bosnia and Herzegovina's current Eastern Orthodox population arrived in the country during and after the 1992-1995 war (Croatian Serb population movements, Vlada RS).

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 17:43

R"oman Catholicism arrived in Bosnia and Herzegovina at roughly the same time it did elsewhere in the Roman Empire "

Roman Catholicism was spread only in the Western Roman Empire.The Eastern Empire was Orthodox.Concerning the Balkans,they were under the rule of the Patriarchate of Constantinople,until the Byzantine border were shrunk in the Balkans.Cannot forget the battle between the Pope and Patriarch for the territory of Bulgaria...

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 17:51
Slavonia, Bosnia, Dalmatia and other areas of Croatia that later claimed their independence were never the acknowledged subjects of the Byzantine Empire.

Portions of southeast Bosnia and Herzegovina were part of the Byzantine Empire but these are the same regions mentioned above as having been incorporated into the country only during the Kotromanic dynasty.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 18:10
The specific area of Dalmatia and Bosnia was pretty much changing hands from time to time.For example,during the 9th century with the expanion of Bulgars,especially of Symewn(893-927) those territories were not in the hands of the Empire.This situation changed during the Byzantine expansion from 950 to 1050 were they were conquered by Basileius the Second "Killer of the Bulgars" (if i am not mistaked).Then again they were lost to be regained by the Byzantines during the rule of the komninoi,especially of Manuel the First(1143-80).
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 18:59
There are competing claims as to who was actually in control of this region and both the Roman and Byzantine empires made unrealistic claims that we know were not accurate. The Romans, for example, claimed to have conquered Kotorac (near Sarajevo) - a fortified village that we now know had vanished from existence long before Rome ever entered this region.

What we do know is the Roman Empire had and maintained a level on control here. Our churches were western, our roads went west, our taxes went west, and even Serbian history books acknowledge Bosnians were never the "acknowledged subjects" of the Byzantine Empire - whatever that means.

Did they say they owned us, yes. Did they, probably. Did the people living here at the time even know, probably not.
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:02
Another thread by Mila, another thread pertaining to Bosnia.

Thanks for the post, I actually found it interesting. Next time, please post more pictures of Bosnian woman as you have in your other threads.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:07
The border between Bosnia and Serbia was one of the strongest, most strictly defined in the Balkans. It changed hardly at all throughout the centuries because of the inhospitable terrain in the area, especially along the Drina and Tara rivers.

Even when this area was part of the Ottoman province of Bosnia, which included a vast area of modern-day Serbia and Montenegro:

You see the penis-shaped appendage on the eastern flank of the province? This is the Sandzak. It was awarded to Serbia and Montenegro in 1912 but had, and to this day has, a population that is overwhemingly Muslim. Until 1992, the area of Bosnia and Herzegovina proper just across the border from the Sandzak was the most densely Muslim region of this country as well, the Podrinje.

Even when both sides of the border were Islamic, with very close cultural ties (The capitals of Sandzak and Bosnia were both founded by the same man) there was very little interaction because of the border. No roads, no ships, nothing but a few foot trails. It's more or less the same today and nothing like the Bosnia and Herzegovina proper, which is criss-crossed by old Roman roads heading everywhere.

That border is a brick wall and the Byzantine's never controled anything, in any real sense, beyond it.

Edited by Mila
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:08
Originally posted by Herschel

Thanks for the post, I actually found it interesting. Next time, please post more pictures of Bosnian woman as you have in your other threads.

No man should speak to a woman with such contempt and disrespect.

If you have a problem with threads about Bosnia, don't participate in them. At least I'm posting something.

Edited by Mila
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:35

Originally posted by Mila

If you have a problem with threads about Bosnia, don't participate in them. At least I'm posting something.

Lets not have you two arguing here if you wouldn't mind, these kind of things have a habit of getting very personal very quickly. I'm sure you can both co-exist.

Originally I to objected to the number of Bosnia related threads, however 1, like Mila said atleast she is posting something 2, they do actually tend to be very interesting and informative on a part of the world I was until recently rather unfamiliar with.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:42
Sorry Heraclius. It's just what I know the most about and like discussing the most, showing off the most, that sort of thing. I'm doing better though, yes? I was focussed completely on Islamic and Jewish Bosnia at first. Now I've gotten Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Bosnia in groove.

There's only so many Bosnia's left before I have to move on more fully to Albania and Kosovo.

There's just nothing on this place that isn't an Eastern Orthodox view of the Balkans that I didn't put here. Sssooo much more to tell!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:52

I don't mind you posting on Bosnia or infact any topic you want as much as you want aslong as it's of good quality which your posts always are. I have to say I commend you on having such in-depth knowledge on your country and the regions surrounding it.

Alot of people tend to come on here and are very patriotic and ramble on constantly about how amazing their country is and how superior it is to everywhere else etc. Posts filled with nationalistic points of view and propaganda. That is entirely different from what your doing as far as I can see, so no problem with it .

I'm sure more people are sick of me talking about Byzantium every opportunity I get  then there are about your Bosnia related posts.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:52
By the way, Spartakus: here's the border in that region.

The second largest canyon in the world, actually. Only the Grand Canyon in America is deeper.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:53
Originally posted by Heraclius

I don't mind you posting on Bosnia or infact any topic you want as much as you want aslong as it's of good quality which your posts always are.

Alot of people tend to come on here and are very patriotic and ramble on constantly about how amazing their country is and how superior it is to everywhere else etc. Posts filled with nationalistic points of view and propaganda. That is entirely different from what your doing as far as I can see, so no problem with it .

I'm sure more people are sick of me talking about Byzantium every opportunity I get  then there are about your Bosnia related posts.

Aww, thanks. I know I'm patriotic, probably nationalist - but I try to build it up with facts and not just ramble.
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 21:01

I think you misunderstand me. I LIKE your topics more than most, because they are extremely informative, and I can tell you put a lot of effort into them. You add pictures, you have nice layouts, and I can tell when you're moving from one point to the next.

I don't know where this contempt and disrespect came from. I made no mention of hate, so I don't know how "contempt" could have been included in that sentence. And there was one thread where you said something to the effect of "Islam: the Bosian way" then you posted many pictures of hot Bosnian women. I thought that was very cool. Again, I think you misunderstood me, but if you did take offense, I apologize.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 21:07

I think you misunderstand me. I LIKE your topics more than most, because they are extremely informative, and I can tell you put a lot of effort into them. You add pictures, you have nice layouts, and I can tell when you're moving from one point to the next.

I don't know where this contempt and disrespect came from. I made no mention of hate, so I don't know how "contempt" could have been included in that sentence. And there was one thread where you said something to the effect of "Islam: the Bosian way" then you posted many pictures of hot Bosnian women. I thought that was very cool. Again, I think you misunderstood me, but if you did take offense, I apologize.

Well, I've grown so used to swallowing my own feet that I don't even notice anymore.

I'm so sorry, Herschel, I completely misunderstood. I thought you were - what do you call it in this sense? Critiqing me? - in a rude way and I just don't like being talked down to. I often think the worst possible understanding of any situation is the right one and I completely misunderstood.

I truly apologize. I'm sorry - and I was wrong.

An ordinary woman says any of those three things very rarely - and a woman like me even less, so please know it's sincere.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 22:19
Aw group hug 

I'm glad you two sorted this out in a civilized way while i was bring in the New Year in the far east of the world.

Anyway, I was under the impression that there would have been sizable missionary activity in Bosnia by Orthodox monks. During the reign of Basil II the Byzantine Empire actually managed to achieve direct sovereignty over Bosnia/Herzegovina. During that period especially we could have expected to see a sizeable presence of Orthodox clergymen and monks.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 00:03
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Anyway, I was under the impression that there would have been sizable missionary activity in Bosnia by Orthodox monks. During the reign of Basil II the Byzantine Empire actually managed to achieve direct sovereignty over Bosnia/Herzegovina. During that period especially we could have expected to see a sizeable presence of Orthodox clergymen and monks.

There's no evidence of this at all.

The oldest Eastern Orthodox religious buildings in Bosnia and Herzegovina are all from the reign of the Kotromanic dynasty, not a single building - nor legend of or evidence of a building - predates this era.

In the heart of Bosnia, there were several significant migrations of Serbs. The first occured before the Serbian identity had developed so it's pointless to even talk about. (It's like saying Serbs settled the Balkans instead of saying Slavs settled the Balkans. The Slavs who arrived here certainly had not developed either Serbian, Croatian, or Bosnian national identities. Some who believe otherwise actually claim all Slavs were Serbs, or Croats, depending on their national allegiance.) The mass migration of Serbs away from Kosovo affected this area slightly, though most of these Serbs settled in what is now northern Serbia and Vojvodina. During the years of Yugoslavia there was a massive movement of Serbs into Bosnia and Herzegovina. I forget the statistics, but I believe it's well over 50 per cent of the overall Serbian population in this country. Only Montenegro experienced more "immigration" during this era, in their case Kosovar Albanians.

Most of Bosnia's cities count Orthodox Churches and Jewish Synagogues as their most recent religious buildings. Sarajevo's oldest Orthodox church, for example, was built at the same time as was the Gazi Husrev-bey's Mosque; but Sarajevo is a new city. Tuzla (6000 years inhabited) and Jajce (1000 years inhabited) both have no Orthodox church older than 1800. All but one church in Banja Luka, now the largest Serbian-populated city in Bosnia and Herzegovina, were built after 1900.

Bosnia simply wasn't influenced by the Eastern Orthodox Church in any dramatic sense. Surely it influenced those Eastern Orthodox Christians who came under the rule of the country, or moved here - and who until recently contributed positively to its development - but to say it influenced the country as a whole is simply wrong.

Bosnia and Herzegovina was overwhelmingly Roman Catholic and linked with Croatia. Then it developed a church of its own and a national consciousness unique to its territory. Finally it associated itself with Islam and the Ottoman Empire.

Nowhere, from start to finish, was it an Eastern Orthodox country and certainly nowhere was an acknowledged part of Serbia whose people referred to themselves as Serbs.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 00:35
Fair enough, I don't know that much about Bosnia & Herzegovina. Considering the Papacy and Constinopolitan Patriarchate were competing over areas such as Moravia, Bulgaria, Serbia and Russia I thought it may have been possible the Byzantine Emperors tried to also influence Bosnia & Herzegovina with some sort of missionary activity.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 00:44
Oh I'm sure they tried. You'd never find any record that Bosnia and Herzegovina has Jehovah's Witnesses - but we do. I've yelled at three or four myself.

As for Constantine, he did come here. He wrote a record of the villages in the Miljacka River valley, among other things. And he did call us Serbs - but, at the same time, the Pope called us Croats.

Tomislav Raukar noted in "Bosnian Borders" that while there are numerous references to Bosnia being either Croatian or Serbian, and populated by either Croats or Serbs, none - none - came from Bosnia or its people. They were all composed by outsiders with obvious interests in choosing the term they did.

They (Orthodox missionaries) were certainly not as organized as were the Franciscans - who have left a wealth of heritage and historical evidence in Bosnia and Herzegovina of their work. There's nothing to show they were even here, the monks you mention - still, though, I'd bet they were in isolation.

Today there are a lot of missionaries in Bosnia and Herzegovina but the response has not been entirely positive. I believe they've gotten 1,700 converts - all in total. Most of these, of course, were athiest children of communist families - a small percentage were practicing Muslims, Catholics, or Eastern Orthodox Christians.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 00:54
Okay, a question for you all...

I've read many times in history books that Bosnian Muslims practice such a relaxed, western interpretation of Islam because they've lived among Christians for centuries.

I disagree.

Bosnians were largely indifferent to formal religion long before the Ottoman Empire arrived and the Christians who we lived among were far from "relaxed and Western".

If anything - given the situation in the centuries leading to Bosnians en masse conversion to Islam and the centuries immediately following it - I'd expect their influence would have been one to radicalize the Bosnian population (as we've seen following the 1992-1995 war).

I believe Bosniaks are largely as relaxed and tolerant as most regions of the Ottoman Empire were; the only difference is that we've managed to maintain it - and other areas, like Turkey, have maintained it almost as much, and still others, like Albania, are even more relaxed and western in their practice.

Because we're white and European, Eurocentric historians are more open to noticing here what existed far beyond Europe for many centuries.

So I disagree with this sentement of this affect of Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, what do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>