Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban
    Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:07

Originally posted by Maju

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. .

To say you have nothing against prostitute but you have a lot against who use them it is an unbalanced view as much as saying "you have nothing agaist drug sellers, but you have a lot against drug users".

While some prostitute are forced LITERALLY to engage in prostitution, most are forced by economic difficulties. Those are as worse as saying I had to steal money because of economic difficulties. I  have no sympathy to prostitutes and those who use them too.

. but I hate the feeling of being limited..

That is the whole foundation of our argument. When it is allright for you to excercise options of not feeling limited and when is it not your right to unlimit yourself. You have to teach yourself to accept feeling of being limited. From simple things as being limited not to eat the whole candy box in a store without being able to pay for it, all the way to limiting your sex adventure to your truely chosen beloved wife.

To say "I hate the feeling of being limited" is kind of a selfish statement.

I'm not placing cultural diversity as any ideal. I'm just putting cultural examples of diferent morals. Some I like, others are indiferent and the most violent and represive are hateful to me.

Then I guess we agree here that injust cultural morals cannot be tolerated. What fits under injust? that is a whole new discussion. 

When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

Then I assume here again that we both agree on supporting single women who cannot support themselves. Regarding a pre-cautionary common sense procedure, is marriage. Naturally most ladies are reluctant to raise kids or various kids out of marriage. We always witness the hit-and-run habit of men where he get her pregnant and disappear or deny it. Marriage assures parent support, taking responsibility and pro-women policies of divorce (in US, mostly half of husbands assets goes to the ex-wife) are nothing but an assuring measurement of protecting their rights and recognizing they are valnurable to all challenges.

You have some funny strange ideas about people who doesn't follow your schemes.

Don't get sensitive Maju. You should take it as a joke as much as I took your "whimpy" label on me. I hope you enjoyed it. At least, you have now a new terminology.

Next time you are in Porstmouth take the ferry to Bilbao. .

Since Im a whimpy, I prefer traditional family-friendly beaches. But thank you though.

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect.

As yourself said it, "this is not privative of that sect". Nudists are not the only people with scandals. But their news visit our newspaper much more regular with other groups of course. No wonder that is happening as now, every a child molestar, a psycho is claiming to be a nudist as an access gate for their fullfillment. Same as the doctorine of repent in Catholism which allows for priests to take advantage of kids in private sets of confessions.

There is a lot that can be said here, I personally prefer observing the developing studies regarding nudity effect on the society and based on those imperial studies, I will be able to render a better decision in the future.

I enjoyed the topic though

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:30
Originally posted by ok ge

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. .

To say you have nothing against prostitute but you have a lot against who use them it is an unbalanced view as much as saying "you have nothing agaist drug sellers, but you have a lot against drug users".

While some prostitute are forced LITERALLY to engage in prostitution, most are forced by economic difficulties. Those are as worse as saying I had to steal money because of economic difficulties. I  have no sympathy to prostitutes and those who use them too.

I do have sympathy for prostitutes because I know theirs is a miserable life (at least in most cases) and I am entitled to the divine virtue of compassion. Instead I feel no respect for their masters nor their clients, specially the first kind, but rather hate.

I don't think you got the point when us used that drug comparison. It's like saying I don't like drug sellers but I feel compassion for drug users. I see prostitutes and addicts as the victims of their stories. You can't compare a prostitute to a drug dealer, the most with the drug itself. I also don't think that prostitute clients are any kind of vitims but vicious people that should learn to solve their urges on their own.

But of course you're not in favor of masturbation either, am I wrong?

That is the whole foundation of our argument. When it is allright for you to excercise options of not feeling limited and when is it not your right to unlimit yourself. You have to teach yourself to accept feeling of being limited. From simple things as being limited not to eat the whole candy box in a store without being able to pay for it, all the way to limiting your sex adventure to your truely chosen beloved wife.

Maybe but it is not anymore selfish that saying that you don't want to pay the manteinance of other's children.

And, anyhow, I value Freedom as one of the three sacred pillars of  human existence, so as long as I'm not damaging anyone else, I don't have to constrain anything.

I'm not placing cultural diversity as any ideal. I'm just putting cultural examples of diferent morals. Some I like, others are indiferent and the most violent and represive are hateful to me.

Then I guess we agree here that injust cultural morals cannot be tolerated. What fits under injust? that is a whole new discussion.

I agree that the pillar of Justice is the more dificult one to define. Still it's all about freedom: if you damage others' freedom it's unjust, if you don't it's fair. That's why I didn't use the term "just" (somehow ambiguous) but "violent and repressive" (quite more precise).

When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

Then I assume here again that we both agree on supporting single women who cannot support themselves. Regarding a pre-cautionary common sense procedure, is marriage. Naturally most ladies are reluctant to raise kids or various kids out of marriage. We always witness the hit-and-run habit of men where he get her pregnant and disappear or deny it. Marriage assures parent support, taking responsibility and pro-women policies of divorce (in US, mostly half of husbands assets goes to the ex-wife) are nothing but an assuring measurement of protecting their rights and recognizing they are valnurable to all challenges.

That's another solution but doesn't help when the father is unknown or only sometimes when the husband is abusive.

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect.

As yourself said it, "this is not privative of that sect". Nudists are not the only people with scandals. But their news visit our newspaper much more regular with other groups of course. No wonder that is happening as now, every a child molestar, a psycho is claiming to be a nudist as an access gate for their fullfillment. Same as the doctorine of repent in Catholism which allows for priests to take advantage of kids in private sets of confessions.

These kind of things only happen in the USA. I have never read such stories about people claiming to be nudist to escape a prosecution for child abuse. It doesn't make sense: one thing is walking nude and another thing is sex, particularly forced sex or, let's call thing by their name, rape.

Instead I once came to know about one (isolate) case in which one naturist foster-father was denounced by the more conservative natural father because he used to bath with his son!  Fortunately the case went nowhere, I think.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 11:43
Originally posted by cahaya

the topic is discussing on Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban...

I just wondering... why the turks law is banning headscarf wearing?? are they denying  Islam practices and muslims right in carrying their obligation according to their faith? If the country is claiming tht they are practicising democracy policies and acknowledge human rights...then they shouldnt ban the headscarft wearing.. if they are denying ISlam's laws at least they should respect individual rights and it is the person choice to select wht he or she is going to wear in order to follow him or her religion demand... this is so strange...

For other people who is not a muslim... well headscarft wearing maybe not important for you guys... but me as a muslim.. to wear headscarft is a compulsory. in islam a woman must cover her hair from non family member or those men who she can be married to.. once u married to tht person.. thn feel free to do whtever u wish to...

Prove that hijab or turbans were used at the time of the prophet as an islamic headgear. I do not think that it is compulsatory. Islam is an august religion, but there is no way one can bring about a reconciliation between the republic and the kind of mentality that reduces Islam to turban wearing and also confines ethics to the narrowest interpretation of chastity, although ethics should embrace all society and every societal activity. I have given my reasoning against the hijab. Aside from azimuth no one else seem to provide documenatation to prove otherwise. http://i-cias.com/e.o/index.htm

Originally posted by azimuth

the one Islam ordered women to wear is different , that it has to cover all the hair and the neck and to be less attracting when the women is out of their homes

...dont know how you can use the christian and the jewish wearing of hijab against the using of hijab to musilms?

these two religions are supposed to be the same in line with islam and as per muslims belive that these religions were corrupted and changed by its people, so having some wearing hijabs can be considered one of the things which werent changed or corrupted.

Opinion or reality? Need proof from you on this one. Most traditionalists seem to follow the notion that women back then tied there hair behind their backs and all that the new revelations provided was to cover the hair fully past their necks.

- [33:59] "O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their
garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid
being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful."

So what could this mean azimuth? Lengthen garments. But it does not say how far. Thats is up to us. Avoid being insulted. Yeah! So they would not become harrassed by aggressive men who might think of them as something less noble or conservative. Notice how no punishment is proclaimed for believers who don't lengthen the garments. But I am sure the history of traditional Islam and the taliban types love to take basic freedoms and personal choice out of the equation.

Or is this how traditionalists treat their women?

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi 3257, narrated Talq ibn Ali

Allah's Messenger said, "When a man calls his wife to satisfy his desire she must go to him even if she is occupied at the oven."

[Tirmidhi transmitted it.]

If the religion was not changed or corrupted then you are going against your own scholars?

Hadith - Bukhari 4:668, Narrated Abu Huraira , see also Bukhari 7:786

Allah's Apostle said, "The Jews and the Christians do not dye (their grey hair), so you shall do the opposite of what they do (i.e. dye your grey hair and beards)."

lol

how is that in the contrary?

how did you assume that these verses were for the prophet wives?

did you even check the reasons behind these verses and when they came on which occations and what the muslims DID in order to follow these verses??

i can see you are using different meanings of the words in the quran i wonder which dictionary you are using.

also the word hijab has more than one meaning.

you cant just make up a conclution by yourself and deciede that these verses where for prophet's wives.

In the process of writing I wrote prophet's wives and not believers. Only the last verse specifically mentions prophet's wives. My mistake if you were confused. Obviously the two previous verses I mentioned were for women of all ages. You seemed to jump on that like you have made a great discovery. But the point and logic of my presentation has not changed. The things to keep in mind is that the best garment is righteousness modesty; covering bossoms, and lenghten garments (cover legs or chest for example) are physical ways to do so. This all helps keep the wolves at bay and brings respect to women.

what i meant from my quote which you used is that the quran came in the same exact languge as the Arab spoke that time WHICH means that it was understood by them faster and the Actions they took were the accurate ones regarding any order in any verse.

Arabs today do understand the Quran easly too but as you can see to know the exact requrement of certain verses Muslims had to check through history What the early muslims did when such order or requirenmt came.

iam not saying Arabs dont know what is written in the Quran unless they transtlate it. we do know whats written there and for more details about certain matter a history must be used

a simple example the prayers werent mentioned in details in the Quran.

how would you know that you  are praying as God wanted?!

it was explained by the Prophet as he said Pray as you saw me Pray.

I have no problem with the Quran today as being written in the same language as when it first was delivered. The actions taken, as you say, were shared by the prophet and followers. That is why it reminds people to follow God and the prophet. He was a role model. His guide was God and the Quran. The hadith books were not around at the time of the prophet. It would be absurd to think that his compatriots lived by contradictory standards created generations later when they were not cannonized. Muhammad received personal revelations too, like many other humans do. But, the Quran was the only revelation he was commissioned to deliver and it is the only revelation we are supposed to follow.

If you think a believer needs to check with history and historical responses then you do not believe God that he is the teacher of the Quran. You need scholars and historians to tell you what to believe.

Seems that traditional believers tend to bring up this lack of detail bit into an arguement. Questions on prayers and such are given as examples. But if you look closer you will find it there in the Quran. I will show you if you do not have that info. But first, I am interested in how you get your info on prayer. Show me your hadiths on it. They must be out there somewhere. Are they detailed as you imply?

Lastly, I am of the mind that the Islamic religion is going through a reformation. It has in the past too. Yet currently we have greater access to vast amounts of information that enables us to question, confront or reafirm our own knowledge. The traditionalists will have to answer alot of questions with sound evidence while trying persuade inquisitive minds to see things there way. And the inquisitive ones will have much to say about age old beliefs. Commands will be evaluated and rules will be changed. People will be offended. But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface. No more diets perscribed by the scholars (i.e.-shelled fish are harram); no more dress codes prescribed by scholars beyond the freedom of personal choice as layed out in the Quran; no more baseless commands. Piety is not how long one grows a beard or follows the rigours of blind superstitions. To each their own.   

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 17:53

That is what is supposed to seperate us from lower animals, the ability to reason and the ability to limit ourselves and supress our animal urges and practice self control.  If anyone has a question of why muslims fast during Ramadan that would be it.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 18:12

Lastly, I am of the mind that the Islamic religion is going through a reformation. It has in the past too. Yet currently we have greater access to vast amounts of information that enables us to question, confront or reafirm our own knowledge. The traditionalists will have to answer alot of questions with sound evidence while trying persuade inquisitive minds to see things there way. And the inquisitive ones will have much to say about age old beliefs. Commands will be evaluated and rules will be changed. People will be offended. But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface. No more diets perscribed by the scholars (i.e.-shelled fish are harram); no more dress codes prescribed by scholars beyond the freedom of personal choice as layed out in the Quran; no more baseless commands. Piety is not how long one grows a beard or follows the rigours of blind superstitions. To each their own.   

From what you've said here I take it you are one of these liberal secularists who want religion to conform to what society wants. I suppose you will demand that Christianity and Islam accept and condone homosexuality.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 19:23

Loknar please follow the discussion. I never mentioned sexuality and its various inclinations. Call me a liberal or secularist but do so with respect and don't put words into my mouth. We have been discussing the different interpretations of how religion effects womens' roles in society. This came from the topic of banning the headscarf in Turkey. Because I question the authenticity of the headscarf 'command' doesn't mean I completely agree with the Turkish legal decision. Reread my post on this issue from an earlier response. I said the following: " I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue."

What is your point anyways? To say that I want religion conform to society's whims and fancies? If that is your understanding than you have not been paying attention. To clear the air I will leave you with my view once again. Socieities have the capabilities to create governments as they feel necessary. Religious doctrine may or may not become law within the legal jurisdiction. If it is to become law then it needs to be understood with utmost clarity that the law is an actual religious command and not only a dogmatic persuasion. How a government makes that decision was not discussed. 

You are always welcome to prove your position, whatever that may be. Lastly, religion is not static. Society is not static. Religion grows through adherents who find an appealing quality to it. Religion helps one in the spiritual and worldy realms. Because people have held age old beliefs about certain aspects of religious duties does not mean that religion is completely understood. The duties may be fixed but the search for understanding of it may continue. We are told to judge by what God has sent down and not to follow others wishes. We are told to investigate lest we harm someone out of ignorance. 49:6, 5:49. So why would you say I want to bend a religion so it can conform to something else? I am searching for meaning through investigation. And when I have doubts I'll research it. Some of my doubts have been presented so far. If you have an offense to it then that is your perogative. If you want to correct me then please do so. Just bring the proof.  

Edited by Seko
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 00:53
Originally posted by Seko

Loknar please follow the discussion. I never mentioned sexuality and its various inclinations. Call me a liberal or secularist but do so with respect and don't put words into my mouth. We have been discussing the different interpretations of how religion effects womens' roles in society. This came from the topic of banning the headscarf in Turkey. Because I question the authenticity of the headscarf 'command' doesn't mean I completely agree with the Turkish legal decision. Reread my post on this issue from an earlier response. I said the following: " I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue."

My apologies. I've had conversations before with real wacky liberal people who were so insistent that religion conform to contemporary society's standards and to not do so made them oppressive and reactionary. I assumed, incorrectly, you believed that religion should move to conform to a societal standard.

Your comment "But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface" is what led me on. There are millions of ways I can twist my explanation.....Lets say that something like fornication becomes accepted doctrine of mainstream Christianity, this in order to conform to a societal standard even though this throws away thousands of years of traditions. "Truth" can be twisted to mean many different things and change isnt always for the good.

I have always felt that religion is not supposed to conform to the standards of society for the very purpose of building ones spirituality and faith. Other words whats the point of religion?

Anyway, again I do appologize for forcing words down your throat.

Edited by Loknar
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 02:15
Originally posted by ill_teknique

That is what is supposed to seperate us from lower animals, the ability to reason and the ability to limit ourselves and supress our animal urges and practice self control.  If anyone has a question of why muslims fast during Ramadan that would be it.

While I don't have any objection about ascestism, fasting and other self-imposed restrictions for one's spiritual improvement. I also think that just that doesn't make us humans.

What make us humans is the great fan of choices we can make with our intelligence, using the animal instincts or overcoming them at our convenience.

Instincts are not anything negative on themselves, the animal, the body is like a car. It's useful and you have to give it some attention, according to its needs. You just can't start beating the car because you will break it, you can't force it to break in ice conditions because you are likely to lose control and crash, you can't put water in the depot because the car won't work, etc. While prescinding of the car and walking for instance is good, while not abusing the potential of the car is good, you just can't abandon the car in a corner because it will break down on lack of use.

There is an intermediate path: enjoying the car (the body) in a reasonable manner, which is diferent depending on each person and group of people.

I definitively don't want a posessive couple. I just can't bear it. I need a free person like myself. What I look for in a couple is understanding, respect, friendship, not dependence and posession.

Overdependence and possesivity are destructive and paranoid. It's sick. I know well.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 10:32

I think that the government is being protectionist.

which goverment  you mean? I cant see any goverment protectionist  against headscarf ban. this issue has nothing with goverment.  Infact Erdogan goverment is complately against to this ban.isnt this a little weird? goverment was choosen by turkish people, but he cannot even stop this nonsense ban? Ban is not wish of turkish people.

It is not important if headscarf is related with islam or not. headscarf ban is related with freedom. Even If It have no relation with islam, people should have right to use it.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 10:54

Darn! I don't like it when this happens.

When I say government, I mean the ruling bodies in charge. So for clarity sake and my lack of being more specific I should say 'Governmental bodies'. That would be the current reigning political parties, National Secutity Council, Office of the President and the Constitution. So in this sense the process of checks and balances would approve/reject such laws.

I agree that freedoms of expression can improve.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 11:29
I really don't know how I feel about the banning of
headscarves anymore.

Firstly, it's very important to distinguish between a
headscarf or veil and the idea of hijab, or modesty.

You can wear a headscarf with the most tight-fitting,
revealing outfits and then it has absolutely no
religious relevence because it defeats the whole
purpose. Likewise you can still be modest in
thousands of other styles and fashions that still
conform to Islamic rules.

So are they banning a fashion accessory, or a
religiously-motived idea? The story that they also
banned women from wearing bandanas as a
substitute seems to suggest they're banning the
religious idea, which I don't support. But then again,
Turkey is a secular country - and the majority of the
population are proud of that, want it, and fight for it -
every day. What I would consider harmless, by my
country's standards and what threats we face, might
seem as bad as domestic terrorism to most Turks.

And the same is true in reverse. Take a Jehovah's
witness visiting door-to-door. In Dallas, Texas, it
might be a simply inconvenience. In Zepa, Bosnia, it
would probably be a terrifying, uncomfortable
experience. In Tel Aviv, Israel, I believe it's even a
crime? Like Shakespeare said: Nothing is either
good or bad, thinking makes it so.

As for banning a veil, who cares. These politicians
have to feed their egos and feel they're doing
something. As for banning a religious idea, that
shouldn't be allowed. Secular states aren't Godless
or soulless states, or at least they don't have to be.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 20:03
Mortaza worte:
"It is not important if headscarf is related with islam or not. headscarf ban is related with freedom. Even If It have no relation with islam, people should have right to use it."

totally agree. This isnt about religion just freedom of expression, and hec fashion!! This problem i hope Erdogan can fix.

Edited by Leonidas
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 16:48

I will state my own ideas about that.

I totally have nothing against people wearing headscarfs or not. It is a matter of choice. And people in Turkey are free to wear it except those who work for the state institutions and high school/university students(So still the state institutions). So there is freedom except for the workers of those places.

So, what we discuss here is the dressing of headscarf in the state institutions.But Turkey's situation is different here on that specific issue.

The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians use headscarf as an Islamic symbol. They even force some students to wear that to make their propaganda.They give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf. They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system. They want to found a theocratic regime in Turkey in long term. So, what makes headscarf to be banned in these state institutions were the abuse of them.Some people didn't wear it for their own reasons, but for their sect's reasons, they weren't really cordial.

Either, the traditional headscarf worn in Turkey is a little different from the turban which some groups use, mostly still for provocative reasons.Especially, there are some who is around with black sheets, closing even their nose and one eye, that is really absurd, and has nothing to do with religion.

So, I am personally not against headscarfs being worn in those state institutions as it is worn outside, but of course if it is made cordially, from the heart, in the right form,not the provocative one and not abused by blending religion and politics.

What is done in Turkey was something abusive, and the court is totally right about this issue considering terms of secularism.Some things had to be given to prevent more dangerous things.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 17:25

Pretty much my sentiments too Kapikulu.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 17:32
Originally posted by Seko

Pretty much my sentiments too Kapikulu.

Thanks a lot,Seko

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 19:18

Originally posted by morticia

In one of the phrases above, it is written:
"shame of sex".
Why is sex considered shameful? It is a normal function for the male and female human species, not to mention neurologically and physically necessary to maintain hormonal levels (chemical imbalances) at a normal level!

Sex without marriage is banned in Islam as it is considered as adultery.

It has reasons though, to provide true loyalty and commitment and either, we see children being left by parents, and AIDS,syphilis etc. 

It is the rule, some apply it, some don't

And about the scarf stuff in Qur'an, from what I know either, there is no clear and bare statement about covering the head, it is about covering the bosom as I read in some Turkish translations.

Not sure in Turkey but in France you must (at schools). Of course small disimulated crosses or other symbols are not included, what are banned are explicit ostentative religious symbols.

It is not banned in Turkey, I had several Armenian people in my old school when I was in high school, walking around freely with their crosses on and showing them to us intentionally.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 01:24

Originally posted by Kapikulu

.The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians use headscarf as an Islamic symbol. They even force some students to wear that to make their propaganda.They give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf. They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system. They want to found a theocratic regime in Turkey in long term.

How did a simple right of choice turns to be at the end a step toward a theocratic regime!

Making assumption that Islamist parties are giving money for spread of headscarf and to increase religion involvement in politics is an untested claim. Also, working toward religious groups invovlement in politics is not a bad thing. In fact, it encourages the application of the state system on all groups and provide an access to authority to all the groups in a true democracy. Instead of frustrated members who cannot participate in decision making turning against the state and adopt extreme measures, allowing them to participate is alwaying them to persue their believes and goals through systematic and recognized channels.

By the way, many religious groups operate in many secular countries, even in France, Germany, Austria....etc.  In fact, some European countries witnessed an increase of  the right & conservative groups involvement in politics, as recently the Christian Democrat party succeeding in Germany.

Increased representation of Islamic parties in Turkey should not be a worry if there is a true democracy as people are englighted and free to choose their approperiate next president. It can only worry either  Islamo-phobic or fanatic secular who sees every increase of religious representation a direct threat to the whole democratic system! As if religious groups can produce only theocratic leaders!

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 04:10

is a matter of choice. And people in Turkey are free to wear it except those who work for the state institutions and high school/university students(So still the state institutions). So there is freedom except for the workers of those places.

I dont  think becoming a student can be called as a workers of those places.

Hospitals, public parks or even some big banks are state institution, will we not accept ill people because they use headscarfs, because hospital is  state instutition? No need to distort fact, and lets remember, headscarfs not only banned at state univercity but also private university, so this state institution dont hold much water.

So, what we discuss here is the dressing of headscarf in the state institutions.But Turkey's situation is different here on that specific issue.

Yeah, I agree, we have a little different from france or germany. Our population is mostly muslim.

The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians use headscarf as an Islamic symbol. They even force some students to wear that to make their propaganda.

lie, noone is forcing student to wear headscarf(they have no force), but state force them to not use headscarf. Changing fact?

by the way, what it this The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians?

I dont know any The extreme-Islamic sects who is effective too much in Turkey, but I think for you, wearing headscarf make every one, extreme islamic sect.

give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf.

Not excatly true, even If this is true,this means nothing, this people use headscarf with their free will and let remember, they have more thing to loose than gain. Remember they wont let to enter uni, If they use headscarf.

They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system.

Nonsense, all  world muslim use headscarf, do you think all of them is against turkish secular state system? ridiculus.

They want to found a theocratic regime in Turkey in long term. So, what makes headscarf to be banned in these state institutions were the abuse of them.

what I can see is, state is pressuring religious people, not otherwise.You cannot punish someone, because you think he would do something. Against every basic of law.

there cannot be any punishment  without guilt.

Some people didn't wear it for their own reasons, but for their sect's reasons, they weren't really cordial.

Absurd, cant find other word.

they  wear headscarf not their religious idea but politic idea. Great sense, just curiosity, do this people also pray for their politic ideas?

Either, the traditional headscarf worn in Turkey is a little different from the turban which some groups use, mostly still for provocative reasons

let me think, banning headscarf is accepted, but wearing is called as provocative. are you out of mind, do your grantmother wear it because  of provocative reason? hit her, she is provoking you.

Especially, there are some who is around with black sheets, closing even their nose and one eye, that is really absurd, and has nothing to do with religion.

this is their decision, not yours. and lets remember they are minority of minority. even, no need to mention(of course If you have good will)

So, I am personally not against headscarfs being worn in those state institutions as it is worn outside, but of course if it is made cordially, from the heart, in the right form,not the provocative one and not abused by blending religion and politics.

can you tell me, what they should do, to be not called as provocative? do not wear headscarf?

What is done in Turkey was something abusive, and the court is totally right about this issue considering terms of secularism.Some things had to be given to prevent more dangerous things.

So you are not against headscarf. I understand you, remember your grand mother is enemy of state. (most probably she is wearing  headscarf)

It is not banned in Turkey, I had several Armenian people in my old school when I was in high school, walking around freely with their crosses on and showing them to us intentionally.

oh so this crosses are also provocative. To much provocation in Turkey.

Ironic, minority have more right than majority. they can use their cross, but a muslim cannot use headscarf.

By the way, dont you think, Iranian goverment also think not using headscarf is provoking.

I think our country is different than Iran(Infact It is mainly said, If we let this people use headscarf, our country would become like Iran)

But It looks like your country is almost same with iran, just different face..

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 04:33

give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf.

Not excatly true, even If this is true,this means nothing, this people use headscarf with their free will and let remember, they have more thing to loose than gain. Remember they wont let to enter uni, If they use headscarf.

So they are actually bribing families to force their women to wear the veil... I see.

They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system.

Nonsense, all  world muslim use headscarf, do you think all of them is against turkish secular state system? ridiculus.

Not actually, have you seen the pictures posted by Mila of Bosnian Muslim women? They do not wear headscarf but they do wear miniskirt at times. In my neighborhood, old Muslim ladies do but young ones mostly don't. It's a vanishing fashion.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 08:17

Typical traditional Islamic prejudism in action?  Looks like Turkey isn't the only country facing the injustices of religious bigots.

"While some are fighting the ban against headscarves, others are struggling against order to put them on. In the Netherlands, Muslim teacher Samira Haddad filed a suit against Amsterdam's Islam Preparatory School when her application for work there was rejected on the basis of her not wearing a headscarf." http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=20051118093203684

Turkey may sound extreme, but I would rather have it her way then let fundamentalists take it over and make all women were a headscarf. Look at the Iranian women. That is one kind of revolution that is not welcome in Turkey.

Edited by Seko
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>