Forum Discription: Debates on topical, current World politics
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6886
Printed Date: 13-May-2024 at 13:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 23:26
Turkey can ban Islamic headscarves in universities, the European Court of Human Rights{YEAH RIGHT!, rights my a**} has ruled.

The court rejected an appeal by a Turkish woman who argued that the state ban violated her right to an education and discriminated against her.

Leyla Sahin had brought the case in 1998 after being excluded from class at Istanbul University.

But the judges ruled that the ban was justified to maintain order and avoid giving preference to any religion.

Although overwhelmingly Muslim, Turkey is a secular republic and the Islamic headscarf is banned in all universities and official buildings.

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Istanbul says the verdict will have a major impact, as more than 1,000 other women from Turkey have filed similar applications.

Source:-http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4424776.stm

Replies:
Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 01:30
Well, it's like banning hats or nudity. You can do what you want in your home but when it comes to public or private institutions there are limits.

Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Illuminati
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 02:39
Good. Religion should be kept as far away from public educational institutions as possible.

-------------

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 03:38

Bad. wearing a headscarf, Yamaka or whatever is not the business of the government. If ladies can attend Istanbul university wearing mini-skirt, I don't see why a headscarf will be any different.

Let us face it. You wearing headscarf does not harm people around you and universities in Britain, US and Japan (best schools) don't have any objections to your clothing style.  It is all just an act of Islamophobia. To be precise, for instance, a friend of mine who had a friend studying in Bilkent University, Ankara, tried to use bandana instead of headscarf. It worked till the professors noticed that It might be a subtitute of headscarf and demanded the poor lady to take it off and not wear. The morale of the story is, it is not a matter that your dress violates a certain school code, it is just a law against religious freedem no more, no less.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 03:54
I agree with cok gec. Since when did national governments also become the fashion police? Didnt France do the same thing a little while ago? What pointless laws, they will not change anything, they will only piss people off. But hey, thats what government does best

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Õ”Õ«Õ¹ Õ¥Õ¶Ö„ Õ¢Õ¡ÕµÖ Õ€Õ¡Õµ Õ¥Õ¶Ö„Ö‰

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 04:10

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

But hey, thats what government does best

True, it seems like the only good thing our Middle Eastern governments are good at these days

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 04:27

Originally posted by Maju

Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes.

nop its not a social custom like miniskirt , its part of the religion and its mentioned in the Quran Clearly.

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 06:47

This is clearly a way for the secularist/kemalist to show who's in charge. A muslim country banning headscarfs is unthinkable. Its bad enough a christian country does the same on its minority (france), but this is a joke. The government should have better thing to do than dictate/police what can or cannot be worn by a individual, religious or not. If I want to walk down sydney in a tradional greek outfit, skirts and all no one should be able to stop me, even if i look completely ridiculous.

Posted By: morticia
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 13:10
maju wrote: "Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes."

Exactly!! So, then why ban it? Those women should keep fighting for the right to wear whatever they choose. They should be able to go dressed like "Carmen Miranda" with fruits on their heads if they want to! Ole and Touche!

-------------
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 13:50
Shouldn't be banned, it is a matter of choice.

-------------

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 14:59

VERY SAD NEWS

Turkey is being made the laughing stock of the world!!!

Just a thought: I bet if Turkey werent allowing Jews to go to uni with a beard and hat the international court for human rights would back their bid

Turkey must rid itself of oppresive ideologies and allow a freedom of religion. The country has become far too militaristic, North Korea forces people to have certain hair cuts. See the similarity

Where is the Muslim world, why are they not protesting their disgust against such things, too busy with thier freinds the Americans!!! perhaps.

-------------

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 16:10
Didn't the same court of human rights state that dictating what girl coul wear as part of her school uniform infringed on her rights?
It did uphold the right of private institutions to decide what could be worn as uniforms thoughj, which it should, but public institutions should strive to be more inclusive (but again they do have the right to decide what goes ultimatly).
Still, i'm all for the European court of Human rights, its helped to get rid of some stupidities in the UK, but really it has no power over Turkey or any country for that matter IIRC other than tell them they've been naughty (contrary to popular believe it has nothing to do with the EU).

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: erci
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:34
I don't think the situation was going to change in Turkiye if the court decided the othervise.Headscarf law in Turkiye has nothing to do with banning islam or restrict the freedom.if it was, it should have been banned on streets at homes etc.European court smply secured its own soils and used Turkey for that matter.

Next case should be banning woman drivers from streets.They should be allowed to drive only in emergency or have to take 5 years compulsory driving lessons maybe 8 years in total along with parallel parking.

-------------
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:52
As far as the ECHR is concerned, Turkey is its "own soils", since 1949 when Turkey joined the council of Europe.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:58
Originally posted by çok geç

Bad. wearing a headscarf, Yamaka or whatever is not the business of the government. If ladies can attend Istanbul university wearing mini-skirt, I don't see why a headscarf will be any different.

Do you know if they are allowed to wear miniskirts? I bet they aren't. I'm sure other provisions on dress apart of the headscarf are in use.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:00
Originally posted by Cywr

As far as the ECHR is concerned, Turkey is its "own soils", since 1949 when Turkey joined the council of Europe.

unfortunately

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:01
Originally posted by azimuth

nop its not a social custom like miniskirt , its part of the religion and its mentioned in the Quran Clearly.

Where? All the verses I've read only mention that women (and men) should wear modestly. No mention on keeping something on your head. This is an interpretation, not an essential part of Muslim religion.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:02
Incidently, the school girl that i was refering to was Shabina Begum, and whilst not the court itself, it was the convention that was found to support her case (the descision taken by the highest appeal court in the UK. Though ultimatly it had no affect on the school (which she no longer attended anyways).

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:07

Do you know if they are allowed to wear miniskirts? I bet they aren't. I'm sure other provisions on dress apart of the headscarf are in use.

miniskirts are banned, as well as shawls(only in winter by a permit) body piercings are free

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:07
Originally posted by morticia

maju wrote: "Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes."

Exactly!! So, then why ban it? Those women should keep fighting for the right to wear whatever they choose. They should be able to go dressed like "Carmen Miranda" with fruits on their heads if they want to! Ole and Touche!

Sorry, but when I went to school, and more when I was in teh USA for a year, dressing rules existed. In th High School I went to in Virginia one guy was punished for getting a punk crest. Mostly I haven't seen any other repression but any kind of hats were banned in classrooms (in both sides of the Ocean) too - veils included.

The sentence "X, get out that cap!" is not new to me. Not that I am in favour or against but it seems like the veil should be considered some kind of exception. Why?

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:11
Hehe, the school i went to didn't have much in the ways of restrictions, but something funny did happen. One guy decided to shave his head (purely for aesthetic and sporting reasons), and was suspended for having a 'nazi haircut', this Dutch-Chinese guy decided to have some fun, he came to school in a 'white power' T-shirt, whilst some of the staff noticed and commented on it, none of them could bring themselves to take any form of action or talk to him about it. 

British schools can very anal about restrictions, i'm so glad i didn't have to go to one.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 08:54

Where? All the verses I've read only mention that women (and men) should wear modestly. No mention on keeping something on your head. This is an interpretation, not an essential part of Muslim religion.

read this then 24:31

surat Al Nor

dont know how is that in the translations you have but its clear enough in Arabic.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 09:09
surat al nor,  how do you translate it to english?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 09:19

its sura number 24 and the Ayah is 31

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 11:00
We've discussed the headscarf issue before and in dfferent translations it may have different meanings. Cover your chest is the predominant meaning! Some see it as cover the head though.

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 13:42
In a lot of cultures women wear and wore some sort of head cover, sari (rusar in persiani) was in Iran before Islam and its hijab, I think this interpretation has never been enforced by law in Iran until 1979.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 16:08

read this then 24:31

surat Al Nor

dont know how is that in the translations you have but its clear enough in Arabic.

Here you have three diferent translations in English from http://al-islam.org/ - http://al-islam.org/ :

[Shakir 24:31] And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful.
[Yusufali 24:31] And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.
[Pickthal 24:31] And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.

I have looked in http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/bosom - Merryam-Webster online dictionary , just in case I was misreading the meaning of bosom but it is very clear: it means breast or chest.

bosom

Main Entry: 1bos·om javascriptopWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?bosom001.wav=bosom')">
Pronunciation: 'bu-z&m also 'bü-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English bOsm; akin to Old High German buosam bosom
1 a : the human chest and especially the front part of the chest <hugged the child to his bosom> b : a woman's breasts regarded especially as a single feature <a woman with an ample bosom>; also : http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/breast -
NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 16:20

I think there is in surat elnisaa2(women) even clearer things about hijab...  I will ask one of the girls{they know better about this} and get back to you...

in anyway you think of it... as islamic law or not, still unfear to ban girls from going to school because they're covered...

I heared the Islamic party won in Turkey a year ago or so.. what happened nw?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 17:27

In a lot of cultures women wear and wore some sort of head cover, sari (rusar in persiani) was in Iran before Islam and its hijab, I think this interpretation has never been enforced by law in Iran until 1979.

That's also for Turkish culture. Traditional women used to wear head scarfs (not hijabs though) since ancient times and they still use such costumes, though they arent prohibited or banned anywhere. But covering your hair shouldnt have to be the very same way that Arabs used to 2000 years ago, eve before Islam, right?

But anyway, the EU court's decision makes no sense or no importance for me, since it isnt God or our father to decide the right ot wring for us. If we have any problems with wearing hijab or not (we dont, that's false agenda), we should solve it our own, not by the advices of a western court or Arab league...

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 17:41

They are still in power.

But anyway, the EU court's decision makes no sense or no importance for me, since it isnt God or our father to decide the right ot wring for us. If we have any problems with wearing hijab or not (we dont, that's false agenda), we should solve it our own, not by the advices of a western court or Arab league...

Turkey is willingly member of some pan-European organizations such as the OSCE, guess that it was in that context that the affected woman decided to appeal Turk judicial decission to the European Human Rights Tribunal... and lost the appeal.

In any case, it must be clear that it is a Turk decission to ban headscarves in Universities, not a European one. Just that the Tribunal was asked to rule on that Turk norm by a Turk woman that felt discriminated against, so it had to decide something.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 18:46

The, or an?
AFAIK there is more than one.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: The Hidden Face
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 19:27
technically It's imposible that Turkey has an Islamic party. 

-------------

Posted By: oTToMAn_TurK
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 19:51

It should not be banned and it should not be forced on to. thats if the state doesnt want any internal problems, but as i can see the turkish government is really pushing it. there are way too many devoted muslims in turkey, 25-30% of the country. its just a matter of time till an uprising of somesort to happen.

-------------
Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 19:51
Well, one of them has been outlawed AFAIK.
The one in power now is akin to many of those Christian Democrat parties in Europe.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:37

i think this is one of the great disadvantages of translating the quran, it simply loses its meaning.

they should translate the Explanation of the words in the Quran not the Quran itself word by word,

for example from the above Ayah (verse) it says in Arabic "Wa LeYadhrebna BeKhumrehinah Ala Jeyobehenah"

if you asked someone who knows Arabic but not the Calssical Arabic to translate that word by word he would say.

"And To Hit themselvs with their Head Scarf on their Pokets"

really that how it sounds. but its not correct.

the Translations you provided for this exact verse says.

"and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms"

"that they should draw their veils over their bosoms"

"and to draw their veils over their bosoms"

each saw that the word Veils is the correct translation for the Word "Khumrihena"

also each saw that Bosoms is the Correct translation for the word "Jeyobehenah"

so now what does that verse means????

in Arabic we have like 7 volums of Explanations of the Words of the Quran in Arabic, 7 volums from one scholar. not to mention other scholars through history.

in the Explanation "Tafseer"  of Ibn Katheer , this verse orders women to use their Head scarf to cover their chests,

Which means that they are already Covering their heads with their Head Scarfs and need to Cover their Chests with that scarf too.

so covering the Head, the Neck, the shoulders and the Chest with their scarf.

i dont know if there are any English translations of the explanations of the Quran, such as the reasons of each verse and when it was said and what people did understand that at that time and what they did in accordance with this verse.

anyway there are more verses talking about Hijabs.

such as Surat Al Ahzab Ayah 59,  "chapter 33 verses 59"

[59] O Prophet! tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

in Arabic its much much clearer than that.

it says "Yudneena Alayhinah Men Jalabebhenah" which simply means "lower (cover) on themselves with thier clothes"

Tabari in his Explanation says that this is an order for wormen to cover their heads and faces when they go out of their homes.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:47
Originally posted by oTToMAn_TurK

It should not be banned and it should not be forced on to. thats if the state doesnt want any internal problems, but as i can see the turkish government is really pushing it. there are way too many devoted muslims in turkey, 25-30% of the country. its just a matter of time till an uprising of somesort to happen.

it's not the government, its the law.if it was up to government, your beloved islamic party would change everything by now.

as for uprising, keep dreaming ottoman

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:59
Afaik Kuran mention  the word "Hymar" if I'm not mistaken it means veil or cover?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 12:23

i think this is one of the great disadvantages of translating the quran, it simply loses its meaning.

they should translate the Explanation of the words in the Quran not the Quran itself word by word,

for example from the above Ayah (verse) it says in Arabic "Wa LeYadhrebna BeKhumrehinah Ala Jeyobehenah"

if you asked someone who knows Arabic but not the Calssical Arabic to translate that word by word he would say.

each saw that the word Veils is the correct translation for the Word "Khumrihena"

in Arabic we have like 7 volums of Explanations of the Words of the Quran in Arabic, 7 volums from one scholar. not to mention other scholars through history.

in the Explanation "Tafseer"  of Ibn Katheer , this verse orders women to use their Head scarf to cover their chests,

Which means that they are already Covering their heads with their Head Scarfs and need to Cover their Chests with that scarf too.

i dont know if there are any English translations of the explanations of the Quran, such as the reasons of each verse and when it was said and what people did understand that at that time and what they did in accordance with this verse.

[59] O Prophet! tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

it says "Yudneena Alayhinah Men Jalabebhenah" which simply means "lower (cover) on themselves with thier clothes"

Tabari in his Explanation says that this is an order for wormen to cover their heads and faces when they go out of their homes.

I'm not persuaded. What's the true commandment? The advise of the prophet or the interpretation of some scholars, who are obviously contaminated by a given cultural tradition?

Notice that in the second verse you mention Muhammed says only "that is most convenient" - not necessary or compulsory.

Anyhow, the essence is to praise modesty but they seem very culturally contextual comments and not very specific.

Don't know in Islam, but in Christianity at least there's a school that suggests that each commandment and precept must be followed withing each person's context and conscience. I may be read as some sort of moral relativism but it is beloved of the Jesuits, the promoters of Counter-Reformation but also of missionarism.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 22:45
In one of the phrases above, it is written:
"shame of sex".
Why is sex considered shameful? It is a normal function for the male and female human species, not to mention neurologically and physically necessary to maintain hormonal levels (chemical imbalances) at a normal level! It's no secret that males and females have sex not only to procreate but for the pure pleasure, excitement and enjoyment of the act. It is vital for human existence, yet it is looked down upon as shameful. Why is that?

Back to the topic, headwear in schools should not be banned, period. There used to be a time when women were not allowed to wear pants in the US public schools, but society changed, times changed, and therefore the laws were changed in accordance with same, and now women can pretty much wear comfortable clothing, including slacks, jeans, etc to schools. I really can't see the connection between headwear and education, or why education should be sacrificed because you wearing something on your head, be it a hat,veil, or whatever! That's all!   

I bet if Queen Elizabeth showed up with one of her frilly, feathery, pompous, designer hats, no one would say a word to her or tell her she's banned from anything!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 22:51

Why is sex considered shameful?

They are Yahvists... you know: they concept of life is a perpetual martyrdom.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 02:54

I'm not persuaded. What's the true commandment? The advise of the prophet or the interpretation of some scholars, who are obviously contaminated by a given cultural tradition?

Notice that in the second verse you mention Muhammed says only "that is most convenient" - not necessary or compulsory.

Anyhow, the essence is to praise modesty but they seem very culturally contextual comments and not very specific.

Don't know in Islam, but in Christianity at least there's a school that suggests that each commandment and precept must be followed withing each person's context and conscience. I may be read as some sort of moral relativism but it is beloved of the Jesuits, the promoters of Counter-Reformation but also of missionarism.

well first of all Muslims belive that the Quran is NOT Prophet Mohammed's words, its God's words.

the life of the Prophet and his sayings are called "Seirah" which includes the "Hadiths" or the sayings.

each Hadith has its sources goes back to the Prophet from his companions ( males and females) from his wife Aisha there are more than 3000 Hadiths. total Hadiths are over 100000 i think. more info about the Hadiths check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadiths - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadiths  ( note that the links they provided as sources are as important as the article itself)

now back to the topic.

the Scholars are not making or saying anything new here, they are more like collectors of the events and what the prophet did, what his companion understood from each verse and how did they obay any orders mentioned in the Quran.

so abou the Hejab or Head scarf, most of the scholars has mentioned that when this order came women started covering their hairs and neck. starting from the prophet's wifes.

so its clear that they understood the verse as an order to cover their hair with a veil as an order not as a suggestion from God.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 03:46
But it is evident that the veil on the head is never specifically mentioned and all the verses you mentioned are unclear in their meaning, while you do make much of them there's nothing in them that says that women must use veil, just that "it is advised" that they should cover their chest or wear some unspecific clothes when out of home.

I'm sure that if God meant what you say and wanted to be strict in that, he would have been much more clear in his wording, don't you think?

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Loknar
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 04:13
Hmmmm. Do Christians also have to take off their crosses?

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 05:04

well Maju its clear enough in Arabic, and people at that time understood the meanings very well.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 08:05
Originally posted by Loknar

Not sure in Turkey but in France you must (at schools). Of course small disimulated crosses or other symbols are not included, what are banned are explicit ostentative religious symbols.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 08:11

well Maju its clear enough in Arabic, and people at that time understood the meanings very well.

Are you so sure? Anyhow, it seems that this issue is polemic among Muslims today so maybe what they took for granted in the Arabia or Byzantium of the VII century is not what one would take for granted today. I'm sure God, who supposedly is atemporal, would have taken in account such mundane discrepancies when giving his message, specially if he meant to be so explicit. He wasn't, so I think that the prudent thing is to disregard the fundi interpretation and accept the open one, considering it as another sign of divine benevolence and the importance that God gives to freedom of choice.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 09:46

I don't think the veil should be banned or forced upon. It should be the woman's choice. The justification for head covering, as far as I can see, comes from hadiths. Between the hadiths and the Qur'an, I go for the Qur'an! The hadiths present too many inconsitencies and one in his own sane mind can't think they're not corrupted.

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 11:10
Infidel wrote: "I don't think the veil should be banned or forced upon. It should be the woman's choice."

Correctamundo!!! I totally agree with this statement. Why are there no restrictions anywhere on what men should wear? Then there should be none for women as well!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 17:42

Not sure in Turkey but in France you must (at schools). Of course small disimulated crosses or other symbols are not included, what are banned are explicit ostentative religious symbols.

Here's the thing. The cross is idol worship, the burcca isnt. African women wear the doorag (spelling?) but it is culture thing and i dont believe that the burcca should be eliminated.

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 20:27

Are you so sure? Anyhow, it seems that this issue is polemic among Muslims today so maybe what they took for granted in the Arabia or Byzantium of the VII century is not what one would take for granted today. I'm sure God, who supposedly is atemporal, would have taken in account such mundane discrepancies when giving his message, specially if he meant to be so explicit. He wasn't, so I think that the prudent thing is to disregard the fundi interpretation and accept the open one, considering it as another sign of divine benevolence and the importance that God gives to freedom of choice.

what are you talking about? what the VII century has to do with this?

as i said it is Clear in Arabic, also The Quran came in Arabic language the exact one the people used to talk 1400 years ago. which means they would understand it much much faster and easier than today's Arab may do.

so what the scholars do is see through history and check what the people ACTULLY did when this verse came. Did they got confused what to do? or they all did what they understood?, clearly they did what they understood. which is covering their hair,shoulders and chests.

and i did explain above that the word "khumrehinah" means Head Scarf also the translations you provided translated it as veil right?

which means they are wearing veils already and need to cover their chests aswell.

about the "polemic", the wearing of veils are accepted by the majority of the muslim population in the world, the people who are trying to show us that we misunderstood the quran after more than 1400 years of practice are the nonreligiouse ones who want to get support and reasons for their non religiouse actions. and obviously aren't getting that much support.

the order is clear enough, people who doesnt know much about the religion and its history would aruge about these things. half knowlege is worse than ignorance.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 20:38

I think we all agree somehow on the bottom line that banning headscarf is a result of secular & anti-religious laws rather than the argument that there is a code of dress that must be respected. If the secular state will place rules that ban headscarf arguing that it is the freedom of women to wear what they like and headscarf is a constrain on their freedom, how is this any different to a religious state that enforces headscarf? Both of the secular anti-headscarf state and the religious headscarf-imposing state are restricting women's freedom to wear what is suitable and what is their choice.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 23:21

Here's the thing. The cross is idol worship, the burcca isnt. African women wear the doorag (spelling?) but it is culture thing and i dont believe that the burcca should be eliminated.

The burka is that fantasmagoric insulting dress that they force upon women in Afghanistan. Not just it should be totally forbidden but those promoting it should be cautionarily castrated and then sent to Maoist re-education camp for a decade or so.

Waht do you want to make of women? When you wear it you will have the right to defend it... as you personal choice.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 23:31

which means they are wearing veils already and need to cover their chests aswell.

It is assumed that they wear headscarfs as that was apparently customary among Arabic Pagans. You are trying to use this accidental mention of a Pagan custom to enforce it in the name of Islam. I find it a total aberration.

the order is clear enough, people who doesnt know much about the religion and its history would aruge about these things. half knowlege is worse than ignorance.

One can't know about everything. But I try to understand. Yet the more I understand Islam the less I like it. It seems a cult, in the worst sense of the term: mixing religion and politics since its origins, trying to get women back to the dark ages, threatening those that decide to abandon the sect...

Ugly.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 00:00

I think we all agree somehow on the bottom line that banning headscarf is a result of secular & anti-religious laws rather than the argument that there is a code of dress that must be respected. If the secular state will place rules that ban headscarf arguing that it is the freedom of women to wear what they like and headscarf is a constrain on their freedom, how is this any different to a religious state that enforces headscarf? Both of the secular anti-headscarf state and the religious headscarf-imposing state are restricting women's freedom to wear what is suitable and what is their choice.

The state is not forbidding women to wear anything. Universities have some dress regulations: no mini-skirts, no hats and no veils, among others. You can always wear that outside of University but when you get in you must take it out, the same that you take out your shoes whe you enter a mosque.

Regarding French rules in schools, it must be noticed that many countries impose uniforms to all students, to erase artificially any class or social diferences in classrooms. This is not the French case but they have decided to ban all religious symbols, what I consider a prudent measure.

I would rather wonder why are women in Saudi Arabia or other countries forced to wear veil and even forbidden from driving cars? That is actually an intolerable interference in social life and another Saudi abuse of Human Rights, as internatonally acknowledged. Furthermore, while France gives citizenship to any person born in French soil, Saudi Arabia doesn't give citizenship in almost any way, so most of its population are foreigners with no rights. In Europe there may be some ethnic and social problems but Gulf countries are ignoring their demographic reality: nowadays the majority of the populaton of those countries are not anymore Arabs but Philipinos, Pakistanis, etc. This was very clear when Saddam annexed Kuwait and gave citizenship to most foreigners, particularly Palestinians. Kuwaitis happened to be only a tiny fraction of the people in their own country.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 00:49

The state is not forbidding women to wear anything. Universities have some dress regulations: no mini-skirts, no hats and no veils, among others. .

Though the initial story was about universities banning headscarf, It is definitely a state law. The state of Turkey enforce that law on all public universities (I think the exception of Istanbul university?) and in all governmental offices and buildings.

The mosque is only a religious institution and only Muslims pray in a mosque. It is like the Banana club where all members choose to wear a banana hat and it is only defined to that group. Whereas universities and government offices and work are public institution.

The purpose of the law of banning headscarf is claimed that all religious symbols are prohibited to create a unified look and no segregation based on your religion which will enhance tolerance. I find this a "mentally-challenged" argument since you learn tolerance by dealing with people in their state withoug hiding. If you are a Christian, are not going to learn a respect to a jew who looks like you exactly with no differences. You will respect others when you have to deal with them in respect wether they wear Yamakas, headscarf, or crosses.

Regarding French rules in schools, it must be noticed that many countries impose uniforms to all students, to erase artificially any class or social diferences in classrooms. This is not the French case but they have decided to ban all religious symbols, what I consider a prudent measure.  .

Same argument above i will use it here too. Children learn tolerance dealing with different people who acts different to them and wear different.

I would rather wonder why are women in Saudi Arabia or other countries forced to wear veil and even forbidden from driving cars? That is actually an intolerable interference in social life and another Saudi abuse of Human Rights, as internatonally acknowledged.

As I said before, a secular imposing state is no better than a religious imposing state. Both are violating personal freedom.

Furthermore, while France gives citizenship to any person born in French soil, Saudi Arabia doesn't give citizenship in almost any way, so most of its population are foreigners with no rights..

Actually Saudi Arabia is different than other Gulf states. Locals compromise the majority. There are 20 million locals for 5 million foriegners. Other Gulf states except Oman too, have more foriegners than locals. Regarding the law of citizenship, Saudi Arabia used to give citizenship extensively before King Fahad ascending to the crown in 1981. Due to huge population expand (the population growth is 2.3% annually). The country has suffered economic downfalls that had a tremendous impact due to the increasing populaiton of 38% under 14 years old, who will need job by the time they are in their 20's. In fact, two years ago, unemployment reached 30%. Therefore, it will make sense to shut down the neutralization of citizenship to foriegners as the country itself is unable to deal with its expanding population. Something similar to what the United States does as they control the number of Green Card holders (permenant residance) and H-1 visas (employment visa which can convert to Green card easier after five years). In years where unemployment is high, US will supply less Green cards and H-1 application.

France on contrast, has a 0.37% annual population growth and 18.4% of its population under 14 years old. France and other European countries in fact, were able to maintain a positive population growth only through neutralizing foriegners as citizens.

Regarding the absence of rights to foriegners in Saudi Arabia, that of course is acknowledged with no dispute. However, Saudi Arabia does not maintain a second class citizenship or a segregated body of neutralized citizens as some European countries due (without naming them).

This was very clear when Saddam annexed Kuwait and gave citizenship to most foreigners, particularly Palestinians. Kuwaitis happened to be only a tiny fraction of the people in their own country.

Saddam did not give citizenship to foreigners for the sake of God and love and justice. Most Kuwaitis opposed Saddam and will make sense to turn Kuwait to a state of a majority that support Saddam through giving citizenship of locals there who supported him. Palestianians unfortunately were on the top of that list.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 01:53
So are you saying, Çok Geç, that because Universities are a public institution they should allow nudity (another personal choice that is harmless and helps to learn about tolerance)?

Not that I am against it but as they actually have rules o how you are supposed to dress and to behave, they can well chose whatever rules they think better.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 02:13

So are you saying, Çok Geç, that because Universities are a public institution they should allow nudity (another personal choice that is harmless and helps to learn about tolerance)?

If you can assure me no kids will see your naked friends and pollute their virgin eyes, then sure

That was a joke. In answering your question, I will quote myself first:

Both of the secular anti-headscarf state and the religious headscarf-imposing state are restricting women's freedom to wear what is suitable and what is their choice.

to make things clear, we have two issues here and not to mix them, headscarf is banned because 1- there is a dress code that must be followed, or 2-banning headscarf (a religious symbol) will assure tolerance and respectful envirnoment.

I purposely used "what is suitable" because I recognize that every place has its dress. If you going to attend a president party, you cannot enter the party except with a toxedo. If you are joing the Banana club, you might be able only if you wear a banana hat. If you are entering Church or a mosque, you should follow the dress code there. If you enter a private university, you stick with their dress codes.

All of the above are examples of private and special-club entities that require dress codes. My objection was to Public school, universities, and governmetn offices. These are not private entities that can forbid an individual from expressing his religious obligation wether a yamaka or headscarf. Neither it is my business or your business to try to persuade them that it is not a religious obligation. I guess something I always admired the United States for, their respect of who you are whatever you wear.

Your example of allowing nudity in public insitution is little unrealistic. First, it is not a dress it is nudity . Second, who said it is "harmless". Many kids and passbyers are around. Same as the laws that prevent nudity in public beaches or on streets. Third, it teaches what tolerance? to nudity?

As I said earlier, if you want tolerance, dont group people and tell them wear this and that, and speak this and that, and do this and that, making them homogeneous. That is in fact intolerance as you cannot stand their differences. And what is tolerance except accepting people's differences as they are and allowing them to be different?

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 03:28

Your example of allowing nudity in public insitution is little unrealistic. First, it is not a dress it is nudity . Second, who said it is "harmless". Many kids and passbyers are around. Same as the laws that prevent nudity in public beaches or on streets. Third, it teaches what tolerance? to nudity?

Yes indeed. Nudists also have rights and after all it's no man made clothing but the way that God left us on Earth. And I'm deadly serious about it.

From your Yahvist moral prejudices you see nudity as something dirty or shameful but there's no shame in wearing the cloths that God gave to us (none). In this regard I find Hinduism much more profound than any Western religion because many Hindu holy men precisely chose to live with the dress of air.

And there's no problem in kids seeing nudity, they won't care (as long as they are used to it) and they will develope a much healthier and tolerant mentality.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 06:38

I respect your view on nudity (god I hope you are joking though )

For me, I retain my realistic view that nudity is unacceptable thing on public and a tastless behavior. Only animals that can enjoy being naked (if they do even realize it). I dont think I would love to watch my female 50 years old professor giving me a lecture while she is nude or my 60 years old grandpa to come nude or my parents too. This is going back to premitive stone age. Wait, even in the stone age they used furr to cover up

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 09:34

Forcing someone to wear something is much much more of a restriction than forbidding them to wear a particular garment, and leaving them free to wear whatever they like otherwise.

On the questionof interpreting the Koran: if you are going to claim that the original Arabic has to be translated so that it can be understood by people today (including today's Arab speakers) then what you are taching is no longer the word of God but the word of the translator.

Interpretations of the Koran are no more valid as Koranic truths than the translations of Christ's teachings in the King James version are valid as Christian truths.

They are both the work of men.

(The Christians get out of this to some extent thanks to the doctrine of the Holy Ghost, but Muslims can't claim that.)

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 10:44

I tried to stay out of this topic (redundant) but now I have an urge to say a thing or two.

Two issues: Turkey banning head scarfs; and Islamic understanding of sentences that some choose to accept as 'headscarf'.

By making this first point short and sweet, I'll say that Turkey has been on the defensive against fundamentalism from the beginning of the Republic. Part of the developement of it's political culture consisted on clarifying it's language, doctrines and state authority. The headscarf issue falls under this catagory. It is a secular (laik) law refraining from wearing it while in and on governmental duty and university settings. Other then that, the headscarf is allowed anywhere else. Opinions currently vary on the headscarf banning and the accompanying impact it has had. I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue.

the Scholars are not making or saying anything new here, they are more like collectors of the events and what the prophet did, what his companion understood from each verse and how did they obay any orders mentioned in the Quran.

so abou the Hejab or Head scarf, most of the scholars has mentioned that when this order came women started covering their hairs and neck. starting from the prophet's wifes.

so its clear that they understood the verse as an order to cover their hair with a veil as an order not as a suggestion from God.

Many scholars had already wore the headscarf prior to turning moslem. Jewish and Christian women had already done so in their past. The moslems borrowed this tradition to the tee. Same for most Arab men and women prior to Muhammed. They wore hijab as a custom. Not because of their own religious beliefs.

The order for the prophets wives to cover themselves are the following: 

-  [7:26] "O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best
garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of GOD's signs, that they may take heed."

- [24:31]

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and keep covered their private parts, and that they should not show-off their beauty except what is apparent, and let them cast their shawls over their cleavage..." 

Which means they should (Khimar) cover their chests.

- [33:59] "O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their
garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid
being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful."

The Arabic words used for cover are "KHuMuR" (to cover). One can cover a floor with a rug and cover a chest with clothing for example. In 24:31 "fel yedribne 'they shall put, they shall cover' is used. However in verse 33:59 "fel yudnine 'they shall lengthen' is used. The first is to cover the bossom and the next one is to lenghten garments. Specifically varied phrases for different sentences carry meanings appropriate to each context. 

The word 'Hijab' was not used. The words for 'hair' was not even used in the above aya (verses). The word "Hijab" appears in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban," these are 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 & 19:17. Yet none of those are in the context of a dress code. 

In summary and contrary to what was suggested by others, covering hair is not a commandment.

as i said it is Clear in Arabic, also The Quran came in Arabic language the exact one the people used to talk 1400 years ago. which means they would understand it much much faster and easier than today's Arab may do.

The Quran is still clear. 

[12:2] "We have sent it down an Arabic Quran, perhaps you will comprehend."

People of the past and present can still analyze the Quran. It is not the domain of past scholars to interprete it only.

Muslim scholars have many opinions about women that are often degrading and insulting. i.e.- comparisons to dogs, can't pray at certain times, abominations, etc. Though such scholars have much good to say too, I still focus on the negative to highlight the rediculous beliefs that still exist in the muslim mentality.

The Quran, on the other hand, permits men and woman to eat together or to help each other (24:61; 3:195; 9:71). The Quran provides several examples of women being active role models in their societies and were interacting with men, such as Abraham's wife (11:69-71; 60:4-6), Muslim women in Madyan with one whom Moses married (28:23-28), the Queen of Sheba who later surrenders to the will of God (27:34:40), and Mary (19:16-30; 3:42-43; 66:11-12). Muslim women were so outspoken that they could engage in debate with Muhammad (28:23-28), and women pledged allegiance and voted for Muhammad's leadership (60:12).

With respect to all the believers we still have the duty to enhance social rights and question inhibiting actions that impact the standards of living for all sexes. Modesty has been encouraged. But fear and insecurity (secular or traditional Islamic) can and should take a back seat to open discussions and freedoms. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 10:55

I respect your view on nudity (god I hope you are joking though )

No I'm not joking. When weather helps I do enjoy being totally or partly naked. I always go to beaches that allow nudism and do not wear anything at all there.

Clothes are just an option, specially recomended to withstand the weather.

For me, I retain my realistic view that nudity is unacceptable thing on public and a tastless behavior. Only animals that can enjoy being naked (if they do even realize it). I dont think I would love to watch my female 50 years old professor giving me a lecture while she is nude or my 60 years old grandpa to come nude or my parents too. This is going back to premitive stone age. Wait, even in the stone age they used furr to cover up

Well, Greeks were shocked that some "barbarians" (that is foreigners) used to bath with clothes, for them it was a nonsense.

You have an education and a social background that makes you think that way, the same that my own background makes me see burkhas and hijabs as an aberration contra-natura.

Anyhow, where climate helps, total or rather partial nudity is common. Often sexual parts (or other body parts, this varies much from culture to culture) are hidden or decorated somehow (but not always). In harsh climates clothes were a must but that's just part of the wide cultural adaptability of humankind. But in tropical climates, clothes are totally prescindible and among natural tribes often not very much used. This is not any sign of barbarism but just an appropiate custom.

Also in Western societies there's been several naturist currents that strongly promote nudism. They are relatively minoritary but anyhow must be taken in account just as any other ideology, philosophy or religion. You won't find naturist beaches in the Muslim world, not even in Turkey, but you will find many anywhere in Europe. And women breast exposure is now a commonplace, in any kind of beaches and swimming pools.

I agree that not all bodies are equally pretty but not all faces are either, yet we don't hide them. And as the (Spanish) refrain says: even if the monkey dresses in silks, monkey still is.

Get used to it.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 11:06
Originally posted by gcle2003

(The Christians get out of this to some extent thanks to the doctrine of the Holy Ghost, but Muslims can't claim that.)

The Holy Ghost, just love it. The most uncertain element in all Christian (Trinitarian) doctrine. It's almost a true Pantheist element... even it could be considered with delight by Chaotists.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 11:17
I must say that I also enjoyed the post by Seko. This is the kind of Islam that I find respectable: the open minded one.

I understand from Seko's quotes that the message is to emphasize spiritual beauty over purely animal beauty, something that I find very respectable and that I can share. I guess that you can be very spiritual in absolute nudity and you can be very animal under all kind of covers. And not that "being animal" is necessarily bad (unless you are a violent beast) but just maybe less subtle or "divine".

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 15:28
I would like to know what is the big deal with the headscarfs and covering of breasts, and all the yards of materials women have to wear in order to be considered "modest and proper women". Clothing does not make a woman, her mind and character does. Just because a woman uses a Headscarf and covers her breasts and flesh does not make her a "modest or a good woman". I can be wearing an itsy, bitsy, teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini and still have better morals, be completely faithful and loyal to my partner, and be a better and happier person than someone who is trapped in an impenetrable armored suit and not showing any flesh at all, merely to satisfy a delusion of modesty. I think (and this is my interpretation only) that it is the males who do not want their women looked upon by other males and therefore make them wear lots of clothing to cover them from the eyes of other males. I think it all boils down to pure jealosy among males. Treating females like possessions must give males exhuberant feelings of power and control, and that feeling must not be compromised in any way. I find hipocracy in that!

As far as nudity is concerned, we are all born naked. Males and females exist in most species. It's no secret that males have male organs and females have female reproductive organs. We all come in different shapes, color, and sizes - what't the big deal? I still have not seen anyone being born fully clothed yet.    We are the only "species" who have decided to put clothing over our flesh to appease society's acceptance of "proper behavior". I can understand putting clothes on for protection from the elements...sun, rain...etcetera....but the truth is, we humans wear clothing because it is the acceptable way that society dictates - some are more strict than others.

I've seen documentaries of tribes still in existence who run around completely naked all the time and it is completely acceptable! There's little rape in such communities,the body is looked upon as a tool for survival in life, and the children aren't even fazed by it. I find no hipocracy in that!

-------------
"Morty

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 15:31

I guess that you can be very spiritual in absolute nudity and you can be very animal under all kind of covers.

I agree, as the Sufi saying goes:

'I have seen many men without any garments on them, and many  garments with no men in them'.

Don't judge Islam too fast, Maju.

Having said that, as an atheist, I support religious garment ban on government employees and schoolchildren (under 18). The rest, including universities and non-officials in government space should be free.

If you reduce the problem to individual freedom vs state oppression, of course it follows that everyone should be free to do what they like. But this world, in which the individuals are free and the state is the evil oppressor this is just a liberal-bourgeois fantasy world. In the real world, individuals are oppressed by many actors besides the state. The family forces the little girl to cover up, the village community forces the young woman to cover up, traditions decreed by people who died a thousand years ago dictate what the individual does or thinks. If the individual emancipation is important, as you all agree, the state can be a liberator as it can be an oppressor. The state can show people that their little village is not the whole universe, they won't get killed by a thunderbolt if they take their headdress off. It is very important to know (and see) that it is indeed possible to live a different life, if they want to, and the state can do this, through economic support, education, example, creating opportunity, etc.

Only when the individual has her economic, social, sexual, conceptual, etc. freedom, can we call her decision a free one. So in, say the UK, where much of this is real, a woman's decision to wear the headscarf may mean something. Without that, as is the case for many people in rural Turkey, it is so much empty talk.  

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 16:28

Clothes does not make you a modest person or an educated one. However, dressing "modestly" is something else. It is like: please act responsible. That does not mean you are a responsible person.

Regarding nudity, I really don't think that because we are born naked it means we have to learn being naked. Trust me, I might faint if i saw a granny walking naked. Also flashing is a crime that you can get arrested for. It does bother normal people that you show them what they don't need to see.

Bottom line, the only thing that defines us as human from animals is two things.  Brain and constraining our urges.

Not because you are naturally born with it or a natural part of you, it means you should unlimit it.  We all have the urge of sex (or spreading our genes) just like animals. Does this mean you should excuse your husband if he slept with his secretary. Imagine him saying "oh dear, sorry but that was natural"!!  and that is an urge, soemthing even stronger than just walking naked because I was born like that. If you are expected to control a natural urge in you, of course you should control exposing yourself.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 02:45
Well, I don't have any problem with well understood poliamory either. As you say well, Çok,  it is a natural thing. There's nothing wrong about that, specially if there is consensus inside the couple on it (though some prefer not to know, I know). It's a complex matter anyhow but I won't be the one judging on such things. Anyhow, Islam condones poligynia, which is a machoist form of poliamory, why not poliandria or other imaginative variants?

Many cultures allow diferent kind of marriages and love out of marriage. If we're going to be truly cosmopolitan and open-minded we can't judge such practices.

You said that you would faint if you see an old lady naked. And I say you're truly a whimpy. It's not surely your fault but that of your education. What happens in Saudi Arabia: do they censor anthoropological documentaries when old (and young) people appear naked or almost? Not in my country luckily. You only have to travel to Sudan to find peoples like the Dinga that live their lives in total nudity. Climate helps of course.

But you can also come to Europe and visit some beaches to see people of all ages taking the sun and bathing in complete nudity without anybody caring much about it. It's not mainstream but it's ok. And has nothing to do with sex, at least in the common restricted acception of the term.

I don't think that what makes us humans are our brains and restricting our urges: in fact, animals also restrict their urges, at least those that are social: the dominant male will take care that other males do limit their needs. This disciplinary process is in fact very animal and not truly human, as one of the characteristics of our human brain is the increased capability for communication, what makes social life a lot more pleasant and consensual activity, at least potentially.

Anyhow, there's nothing wrong in being animal, a least now and then, unless it happen that you are a violent beast, in which case, for the sake of the community, society will need to take disciplinary measures.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 04:13

Well, I don't have any problem with well understood poliamory either. As you say well, Çok,  it is a natural thing. There's nothing wrong about that, specially if there is consensus inside the couple on it (though some prefer not to know, I know). It's a complex matter anyhow but I won't be the one judging on such things.

If I understood you well, you are saying basically that you are fine with spouses having sex out of marraige?

The number one element in raising a healthy society is a healthy family. Otherwise, why governments are spending all that money in family support and dealing with high divorce rates.

Try to watch Jerrey Springer's show and see how pathetic it is filled with spouses who had sex out of marriage and got children who needs a DNA test and refusal of custody...etc   Or have you looked in the newspaper maybe and watched how many divorces are caused by cheating?

If you and your spouse are fine goofing around with other men and women, that is your choice, but try not to miss up with other people's spouses.

Anyhow, Islam condones poligynia, which is a machoist form of poliamory, why not poliandria or other imaginative variants?

I'm not sure what are you tring to say here. That Islam ignores or condones polygame?
no porque otras naciones hacen la poligynia, significa que tienen razón! (not because other nations do polygame, it means they are correct).

Many cultures allow diferent kind of marriages and love out of marriage. If we're going to be truly cosmopolitan and open-minded we can't judge such practices.

Siempre! Many cultures allow for a wife to be burned with her desceased husband. Does it mean we should watch it and admire that part of the culture and have an open mind about it???

You said that you would faint if you see an old lady naked. And I say you're truly a whimpy. It's not surely your fault but that of your education.

You can call me a whimpy and i can call you a nuptial figher. However, I think most of today's human being don't appreciate you walking nude in public. If you are proud of your nudity, find a proper place maybe.

What happens in Saudi Arabia: do they censor anthoropological documentaries when old (and young) people appear naked or almost? Not in my country luckily..

My sister studys nursing and they have seen even videos of male private organs. No sanction is imposed on educational and special-purpose films.

But you can also come to Europe and visit some beaches to see people of all ages taking the sun and bathing in complete nudity without anybody caring much about it. It's not mainstream but it's ok. And has nothing to do with sex, at least in the common restricted acception of the term. ..

Thank you for your European style invitation. I have been to Europe and nude beaches are seperate from public beaches. In fact, you have to be of a certain age in order to enter those nude beaches, which means it has a negative impact on immatures and children.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 05:09
To prevent all those problems Napoleon had a remedy "the child born of a married woman is son of the husband" (Napoleonic code). I have another: support lone mothers and end with that anachronism of traditional family. 

If your wife wants to make love with me (this is a hypothetical case, of course, I only make love with people that I fall in love with - but I don't ask them their civil status anyhow), you may have objections but I don't see why I would have to worry. It is she who has to make her choices. It is her right.

Anyhow, polyamory is a fact, I don't know why to waste energies in prosecuting it. I'm against speding a cent in supporting family. The only thing that must be supported is motherhood, so children do have a reasonable good enviroment to grow in and women are not forced to become their husbands' slaves on economic grounds.

Many cultures allow for a wife to be burned with her desceased husband. Does it mean we should watch it and admire that part of the culture and have an open mind about it???

I don't admire that - I reject it as I reject burka, but I do admire naturality in allowing diferent types of relationships without making big deal of that.

What is a nuptial fighter? First time I read or hear that term.

You're wrong about nude beaches, at least here. There are beaches where nudism is not allowed (something I dispute) and there are others where it is (but being clothed is also allowed, paradoxically). No age requirement exists at all (though some old lascive men maybe should have their entrance forbidden, just maybe). As I said before female breast exposure in any kind of beaches is now a normal thing.

I'll tell you one story about my great-grandma Maximina. She was a traditional woman with a strong character. She used to go to the beach in her long and "very decent" underclothing and she also seemingly went hitting women in bikini with her cane saying them they were "shameless", etc.

She eventually got arrested, not for agression but for pulic scandal: for being dressed in underwear.

All this happened under the fundamentalist government of Franco.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 14:01

To prevent all those problems Napoleon had a remedy "the child born of a married woman is son of the husband" (Napoleonic code). I have another: support lone mothers and end with that anachronism of traditional family. 

Napoleon was not the initiator of children of married couples to be named after their husband. Supporting the mother is not the answer because that support has to come from somewhere. If you enjoyed your sex with her or not, sorry you have to support her child as it is a product of you. Plus, it is not the fault of the mother to be a single-parent. Social and Scientific studies has shown that children can have a severe mental and growth imbalance with single-parent uprising.

If your wife wants to make love with me (this is a hypothetical case, of course, I only make love with people that I fall in love with - but I don't ask them their civil status anyhow), you may have objections but I don't see why I would have to worry. It is she who has to make her choices. It is her right.

Then I think it is easier and wise to marry a prostitute. She has no objections with you goofing around and she will support the family financially too.

I'm against speding a cent in supporting family. The only thing that must be supported is motherhood, so children do have a reasonable good enviroment to grow in and women are not forced to become their husbands' slaves on economic grounds. .

Wether you and me like it or not, women need an external support especially during their pregenancy period and recovery period and the time they spend with their children at early ages. If you are opposing spending a cent in supporting a family, then who is going to support them? Government? They need to tax you for that, so you are going to support them no matter what. Or maybe the husband? Yes, he has an obligation. This child does not only belongs to the mother and deserves a normal stable life.

I don't admire that - I reject it as I reject burka, but I do admire naturality in allowing diferent types of relationships without making big deal of that.

I think you missed the point here. The point is that if other cultures do it, it does not mean it is correct or it is a part of the culture that we shall stay nuetral about. If you are opposing Burka for women rights, I oppose sex out of marriage as it has been proven the case most of the time the husband will escape his obligation leaving the women valnurable to many difficulties. Also, why would I support a child that is not mine? We are not hamsters who only produce with only motherhood support. 

Don't worry, Nuptial fighter is much politer than a whimpy. Nuptial fight is when males go and fight during the breeding seasons of various animals. I just loved classifying you a nuptial fighter as you might wait for your breeding season and excercise your mother nature-given right of breeding around with various females at the same time

You're wrong about nude beaches, at least here. There are beaches where nudism is not allowed (something I dispute) and there are others where it is (but being clothed is also allowed, paradoxically).

Im not sure about Spain, but Portsmouth, England, sets an age requirement for entering a nudist beach..

I'll tell you one story about my great-grandma Maximina.

Funny story. For me, I would like to tell you also a story but not as peaceful and funny as yours.

Nudism is nothing but a blanket for social decay. If it wasnt to encourage it, at leasts it covers it. As far as I recall, the well-known American nudist Jonathan Tampico  was convicted of child molester. He is known to frequent nudist camps and to use the preaching of family nudism and whole body acceptance to victimize male children. He is not on the "Caution List" of the American Association for Nude Recreation (past American Sunbathing Association).

Also in 1992, Joseph Robert Wanner, 39 years old and a substitute elementary school teacher; pro-feminist member of a university women's action committee; naturist; and articulate defender of abortion, animal, atheist, and Native American rights, was arrested at his home in Kutztown, Pennsylvania. Mr. Wanner was charged with 14 counts of rape, 14 counts of statutory rape, 12 counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, 3 counts of corruption of minors, 19 counts of sexual abuse of children for the production and manufacturing of child pornography, 144 counts of child sex abuse for possession of child pornography, 17 counts of indecent assault, 6 counts of aggravated indecent assault, and 1 count of voluntary deviate sexual intercourse (with a cat).  

Copies of the police reports are available on http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/NudistHallofShame/Tampico.html - http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/NudistHallofShame/Tampico.ht ml

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 15:04

the topic is discussing on Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban...

I just wondering... why the turks law is banning headscarf wearing?? are they denying  Islam practices and muslims right in carrying their obligation according to their faith? If the country is claiming tht they are practicising democracy policies and acknowledge human rights...then they shouldnt ban the headscarft wearing.. if they are denying ISlam's laws at least they should respect individual rights and it is the person choice to select wht he or she is going to wear in order to follow him or her religion demand... this is so strange...

For other people who is not a muslim... well headscarft wearing maybe not important for you guys... but me as a muslim.. to wear headscarft is a compulsory. in islam a woman must cover her hair from non family member or those men who she can be married to.. once u married to tht person.. thn feel free to do whtever u wish to...

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 17:54

Social and Scientific studies has shown that children can have a severe mental and growth imbalance with single-parent uprising.

This is not true. It is known that such children grow up quite normal.

What are you trying to show us by those examples? I am an atheist and I support feminism. Do you claim that we are less moral than religious people?

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:31

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

This is not true. It is known that such children grow up quite normal.

No, empirial studies show just the oppsite to what is claimed now. I will copy myself from another thread in which we touched over this issue.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6979&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6979& ; ; ;PN=1

Sure, in this case, the social dimension of a family is the best illustrative example of family's importance. To be precise, research on single parenting indicated earlier that separation or divorce only had short-term effects, more recent research suggests the effect can be more lasting.

For instance, researchers in Sweden observed between 1991 and 1998 for more than 65,000 children in single-parent households and more than 920,000 children in households with two parents.

After adjusting for other factors, children with a lone parent were found to be twice as likely to have a psychiatric disease compared to their two-parent counterparts. They were also at double the risk for suicide attempts and for alcohol-related diseases. The chances of drug abuse were three times as high among girls and four times as high among boys in single-parent households. Boys in single-parent households were more likely than girls to develop psychiatric and narcotics-related problems and were also more likely to die of any cause.

http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/511438.html - http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/511438.html

What are you trying to show us by those examples? I am an atheist and I support feminism. Do you claim that we are less moral than religious people?

To be precise, what examples?

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:32

Your article says the results were not normalised for all factors. Most single-parent families are poor, because the parent does not have support. If they were not poor, things would have been different. Also, I have seen research which gives different results than this before.

To be precise, what examples?

The example at the end of your previous post. I am asking you if you believe that there is a connection between that person's deviant sexual behaviour and him being an atheists' and feminists' rights supporter? 

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:48

Your article says the results were not normalised for all factors. Most single-parent families are poor, because the parent does not have support. If they were not poor, things would have been different. Also, I have seen research which gives different results than this before.

I don't see where it says the results were not normalized for all factors. In fact it says clearly "After adjusting for other factors, children with a lone parent were found to be twice ...."

Also, it admits that other contradicting articles exist, however not in the size of this study or even closer.

Regarding that if a single parent can succeed if financial and educational support is given, Im sure it did exist. However, we are discussing the norms and not the exceptions. I quote myself from the same thread:

The only difference is that the responsibility is normally divided and no burden is imposed on a single parent.

While some single parents succeeded in offsetting the challenge, the general trend from imperial studies shows that most single-parents fails in keeping up that shortage.

The example at the end of your previous post. I am asking you if you believe that there is a connection between that person's deviant sexual behaviour and him being an atheists' and feminists' rights supporter? 

Both of the two examples were given in regards to Nudism. The fact that he was an athiest just a state of the fact, positions, and roles he was involved with, including being a teacher and an animal right supporter.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 23:27

It is assumed that they wear headscarfs as that was apparently customary among Arabic Pagans. You are trying to use this accidental mention of a Pagan custom to enforce it in the name of Islam. I find it a total aberration.

The headscarf Arab wore before Islam is different than the one women had to wear after Islam.

that the first one was not actully covering the hair, it was mostly used as a type of sun and environment protection, women also used it as a beauty accessory, with more colors and gold hanging on it.

the one Islam ordered women to wear is different , that it has to cover all the hair and the neck and to be less attracting when the women is out of their homes.

and iam not using anything here which is not being used through history.

AS i said earlier when any verse comes with an order for muslims to follow the usual practice is to see what did the prophet and his companions reacted to such verse.

the way they delt with such verses IS the way the Verse is has to be understood  as simple as that.

you dont come now after all these years and to tell us that the Quran was misunderstood and you the wise one after 14 centures found out the truth !

the way the Prophet and his companions dealt with the Orders in the Quran is the exact action required by the Quran.

One can't know about everything. But I try to understand. Yet the more I understand Islam the less I like it. It seems a cult, in the worst sense of the term: mixing religion and politics since its origins, trying to get women back to the dark ages, threatening those that decide to abandon the sect...

Ugly.

i didnt say one can know or cant know, i said half knowledge is worse than ignorance,

that when you base your actions and decision on such poor or incomplete knowledge about certain matter.

and about the dark ages story, well if you are intersted i advice you to keep getting more infos and read more about how women treated through history and how are they actully treated now FROM DIFFERENT angles and not from one community and one source.

Originally posted by gcle2003

On the questionof interpreting the Koran: if you are going to claim that the original Arabic has to be translated so that it can be understood by people today (including today's Arab speakers) then what you are taching is no longer the word of God but the word of the translator.

Interpretations of the Koran are no more valid as Koranic truths than the translations of Christ's teachings in the King James version are valid as Christian truths.

They are both the work of men.

iam not claiming that the original arabic has to be transilated to be understood by Arabs today, we Arabs read the quran as it is when it first came.

the thing is that there are some words which are not popular today and not clear to many people and we have Arabic/Arabic Dictionaries for these words. similar to the English/English ones.

also it is known that the Quran has deep meanings which are transilated through the Actions of the Prophet and His close Companions after him.

these Actions ARE the ones the Islamic Scholars used to give more details about certain verses.

so the comparision between the Quran and the bible is weak, that the first bible is not the same as the ONES available today.

Muslims dont treat the transilations of the Quran as Quran.

Originally posted by Seko

I tried to stay out of this topic (redundant) but now I have an urge to say a thing or two.

Two issues: Turkey banning head scarfs; and Islamic understanding of sentences that some choose to accept as 'headscarf'.

By making this first point short and sweet, I'll say that Turkey has been on the defensive against fundamentalism from the beginning of the Republic. Part of the developement of it's political culture consisted on clarifying it's language, doctrines and state authority. The headscarf issue falls under this catagory. It is a secular (laik) law refraining from wearing it while in and on governmental duty and university settings. Other then that, the headscarf is allowed anywhere else. Opinions currently vary on the headscarf banning and the accompanying impact it has had. I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue.

well obviously this law is not being enforced as you are saying, less than a month ago the Turkish President made a party in his residence and didnt invite the women from some political parties because they wear head scarf and made an announcement that this place wont allow any women with head scarf to enter it. !! how can this be a governmental duty and university settings???

and how would you make this as a law while a huge percentage of the population are against it? very democratic huh?

they are calling themselvs secular and Muslims at the same time and so strict about a peice of extra cloths a woman wants to wear on her head. i wonder if they acctuly pray and if they do  what do they wear? i mean the female ones.

Many scholars had already wore the headscarf prior to turning moslem. Jewish and Christian women had already done so in their past. The moslems borrowed this tradition to the tee. Same for most Arab men and women prior to Muhammed. They wore hijab as a custom. Not because of their own religious beliefs.

dont know how you can use the christian and the jewish wearing of hijab against the using of hijab to musilms?

these two religions are supposed to be the same in line with islam and as per muslims belive that these religions were corrupted and changed by its people, so having some wearing hijabs can be considered one of the things which werent changed or corrupted.

and as i mentioned above the wearing of head scarf before islam is not as it is after islam.

The order for the prophets wives to cover themselves are the following: 

-  [7:26] "O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best
garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of GOD's signs, that they may take heed."

- [24:31]

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and keep covered their private parts, and that they should not show-off their beauty except what is apparent, and let them cast their shawls over their cleavage..." 

Which means they should (Khimar) cover their chests.

- [33:59] "O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their

The Arabic words used for cover are "KHuMuR" (to cover). One can cover a floor with a rug and cover a chest with clothing for example. In 24:31 "fel yedribne 'they shall put, they shall cover' is used. However in verse 33:59 "fel yudnine 'they shall lengthen' is used. The first is to cover the bossom and the next one is to lenghten garments. Specifically varied phrases for different sentences carry meanings appropriate to each context. 

The word 'Hijab' was not used. The words for 'hair' was not even used in the above aya (verses). The word "Hijab" appears in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban," these are 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 & 19:17. Yet none of those are in the context of a dress code. 

In summary and contrary to what was suggested by others, covering hair is not a commandment.

lol

how is that in the contrary?

how did you assume that these verses were for the prophet wives?

did you even check the reasons behind these verses and when they came on which occations and what the muslims DID in order to follow these verses??

i can see you are using different meanings of the words in the quran i wonder which dictionary you are using.

also the word hijab has more than one meaning.

you cant just make up a conclution by yourself and deciede that these verses where for prophet's wives.

The Quran is still clear. 

[12:2] "We have sent it down an Arabic Quran, perhaps you will comprehend."

People of the past and present can still analyze the Quran. It is not the domain of past scholars to interprete it only.

Muslim scholars have many opinions about women that are often degrading and insulting. i.e.- comparisons to dogs, can't pray at certain times, abominations, etc. Though such scholars have much good to say too, I still focus on the negative to highlight the rediculous beliefs that still exist in the muslim mentality.

The Quran, on the other hand, permits men and woman to eat together or to help each other (24:61; 3:195; 9:71). The Quran provides several examples of women being active role models in their societies and were interacting with men, such as Abraham's wife (11:69-71; 60:4-6), Muslim women in Madyan with one whom Moses married (28:23-28), the Queen of Sheba who later surrenders to the will of God (27:34:40), and Mary (19:16-30; 3:42-43; 66:11-12). Muslim women were so outspoken that they could engage in debate with Muhammad (28:23-28), and women pledged allegiance and voted for Muhammad's leadership (60:12).

With respect to all the believers we still have the duty to enhance social rights and question inhibiting actions that impact the standards of living for all sexes. Modesty has been encouraged. But fear and insecurity (secular or traditional Islamic) can and should take a back seat to open discussions and freedoms. 

what i meant from my quote which you used is that the quran came in the same exact languge as the Arab spoke that time WHICH means that it was understood by them faster and the Actions they took were the accurate ones regarding any order in any verse.

Arabs today do understand the Quran easly too but as you can see to know the exact requrement of certain verses Muslims had to check through history What the early muslims did when such order or requirenmt came.

iam not saying Arabs dont know what is written in the Quran unless they transtlate it. we do know whats written there and for more details about certain matter a history must be used

a simple example the prayers werent mentioned in details in the Quran.

how would you know that you  are praying as God wanted?!

it was explained by the Prophet as he said Pray as you saw me Pray.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 00:40
you dont come now after all these years and to tell us that the Quran was misunderstood and you the wise one after 14 centures found out the truth !

Why not? (Inside your scheme) I am as much Allah's creation and Allah's intention as you or Mohammed himself. If I can discuss Christian religion with Jesuit priests (and put them in quite dificult situations), I can also discuss Islam with mullahs or Hindusim with babas. I don't need to believe in it to discuss it. If you don't like it you can found your own private "banana club" with restricted access.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 00:56

what are you talking about?

discuss whatever you like anywhere, that quote is not a complain or a restriction or anything.

you misunderstood what i meant obviously and happily tried to make fun of it >>><<< and another one for the "banana club"  suggestion here it is >><<

anyway

i meant you dont expect people to belive you on your claims with few knowledge you got from reading a transilted verses, and not caring about what people did through history from their understanding to such verses.

its wiser to take into account why others did such actions regarding such orders and didnt do what you see as obviouse order.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 01:05

Then I think it is easier and wise to marry a prostitute. She has no objections with you goofing around and she will support the family financially too.

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. So I would never be that kind of "guy", the shame of my gender. Paying for sex... what a misery!

But I've been with polyamorous people and it's fine. Better than jealous ultra-monogamous ones. And not that I'm a particularly polyamorous person, I think I'm rather monogamous but I hate the feeling of being limited.

I think you missed the point here. The point is that if other cultures do it, it does not mean it is correct or it is a part of the culture that we shall stay nuetral about. If you are opposing Burka for women rights, I oppose sex out of marriage as it has been proven the case most of the time the husband will escape his obligation leaving the women valnurable to many difficulties. Also, why would I support a child that is not mine? We are not hamsters who only produce with only motherhood support.

I'm not placing cultural diversity as any ideal. I'm just putting cultural examples of diferent morals. Some I like, others are indiferent and the most violent and represive are hateful to me.

I would have no problem supporting children that aren't biologically "mine", assumed I love their mother. But, just in case let's the state or community make sure that lone mothers have means for a worthy survival, so the kids (and the mothers) are not negatively affected by any marital problems.

The couple is not any contract for bringing kids it is a matter of love between two persons (more persons wouldn't be a couple ). When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

Don't worry, Nuptial fighter is much politer than a whimpy. Nuptial fight is when males go and fight during the breeding seasons of various animals. I just loved classifying you a nuptial fighter as you might wait for your breeding season and excercise your mother nature-given right of breeding around with various females at the same time

You have some funny strange ideas about people who doesn't follow your schemes. Nuptial fight is not the idea I have of attraction and love, it's more a man-woman bilateral thing. When I see strong competition I know it's time to go (not because I fear any fight but because I know when I am in excess and find "nuptial competition" ridiculous). After all it's just an affair. If there's something strong there's not any of that competition, though there can be affairs always. Why to put limits to Eros?

You're wrong about nude beaches, at least here. There are beaches where nudism is not allowed (something I dispute) and there are others where it is (but being clothed is also allowed, paradoxically).

Im not sure about Spain, but Portsmouth, England, sets an age requirement for entering a nudist beach..

Next time you are in Porstmouth take the ferry to Bilbao.

I'll tell you one story about my great-grandma Maximina.

Funny story. For me, I would like to tell you also a story but not as peaceful and funny as yours.

Nudism is nothing but a blanket for social decay. If it wasnt to encourage it, at leasts it covers it. As far as I recall, the well-known American nudist Jonathan Tampico  was convicted of child molester. He is known to frequent nudist camps and to use the preaching of family nudism and whole body acceptance to victimize male children. He is not on the "Caution List" of the American Association for Nude Recreation (past American Sunbathing Association).

Also in 1992, Joseph Robert Wanner, 39 years old and a substitute elementary school teacher; pro-feminist member of a university women's action committee; naturist; and articulate defender of abortion, animal, atheist, and Native American rights, was arrested at his home in Kutztown, Pennsylvania. Mr. Wanner was charged with 14 counts of rape, 14 counts of statutory rape, 12 counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, 3 counts of corruption of minors, 19 counts of sexual abuse of children for the production and manufacturing of child pornography, 144 counts of child sex abuse for possession of child pornography, 17 counts of indecent assault, 6 counts of aggravated indecent assault, and 1 count of voluntary deviate sexual intercourse (with a cat).  

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect. Mixing nudism and pederasty seems to me totally absurd. I don't deny that there are some perverts around in all kind of enviroments but I don't make of child abuse my banner against religion. I think that most Catholics (or Muslims for the case) are not such kind of people.

Anyhow, I have also a recipe against rapists, including child abusers, surgical castration. They will be still able to live normal lives but they won't have anymore those urges that they don't know how to manage. It's quite a compassive and effective measure and I wonder why it is not applied everywhere already.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:07

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. .

To say you have nothing against prostitute but you have a lot against who use them it is an unbalanced view as much as saying "you have nothing agaist drug sellers, but you have a lot against drug users".

While some prostitute are forced LITERALLY to engage in prostitution, most are forced by economic difficulties. Those are as worse as saying I had to steal money because of economic difficulties. I  have no sympathy to prostitutes and those who use them too.

. but I hate the feeling of being limited..

That is the whole foundation of our argument. When it is allright for you to excercise options of not feeling limited and when is it not your right to unlimit yourself. You have to teach yourself to accept feeling of being limited. From simple things as being limited not to eat the whole candy box in a store without being able to pay for it, all the way to limiting your sex adventure to your truely chosen beloved wife.

To say "I hate the feeling of being limited" is kind of a selfish statement.

I'm not placing cultural diversity as any ideal. I'm just putting cultural examples of diferent morals. Some I like, others are indiferent and the most violent and represive are hateful to me.

Then I guess we agree here that injust cultural morals cannot be tolerated. What fits under injust? that is a whole new discussion. 

When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

Then I assume here again that we both agree on supporting single women who cannot support themselves. Regarding a pre-cautionary common sense procedure, is marriage. Naturally most ladies are reluctant to raise kids or various kids out of marriage. We always witness the hit-and-run habit of men where he get her pregnant and disappear or deny it. Marriage assures parent support, taking responsibility and pro-women policies of divorce (in US, mostly half of husbands assets goes to the ex-wife) are nothing but an assuring measurement of protecting their rights and recognizing they are valnurable to all challenges.

You have some funny strange ideas about people who doesn't follow your schemes.

Don't get sensitive Maju. You should take it as a joke as much as I took your "whimpy" label on me. I hope you enjoyed it. At least, you have now a new terminology.

Next time you are in Porstmouth take the ferry to Bilbao. .

Since Im a whimpy, I prefer traditional family-friendly beaches. But thank you though.

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect.

As yourself said it, "this is not privative of that sect". Nudists are not the only people with scandals. But their news visit our newspaper much more regular with other groups of course. No wonder that is happening as now, every a child molestar, a psycho is claiming to be a nudist as an access gate for their fullfillment. Same as the doctorine of repent in Catholism which allows for priests to take advantage of kids in private sets of confessions.

There is a lot that can be said here, I personally prefer observing the developing studies regarding nudity effect on the society and based on those imperial studies, I will be able to render a better decision in the future.

I enjoyed the topic though

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:30

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. .

To say you have nothing against prostitute but you have a lot against who use them it is an unbalanced view as much as saying "you have nothing agaist drug sellers, but you have a lot against drug users".

While some prostitute are forced LITERALLY to engage in prostitution, most are forced by economic difficulties. Those are as worse as saying I had to steal money because of economic difficulties. I  have no sympathy to prostitutes and those who use them too.

I do have sympathy for prostitutes because I know theirs is a miserable life (at least in most cases) and I am entitled to the divine virtue of compassion. Instead I feel no respect for their masters nor their clients, specially the first kind, but rather hate.

I don't think you got the point when us used that drug comparison. It's like saying I don't like drug sellers but I feel compassion for drug users. I see prostitutes and addicts as the victims of their stories. You can't compare a prostitute to a drug dealer, the most with the drug itself. I also don't think that prostitute clients are any kind of vitims but vicious people that should learn to solve their urges on their own.

But of course you're not in favor of masturbation either, am I wrong?

That is the whole foundation of our argument. When it is allright for you to excercise options of not feeling limited and when is it not your right to unlimit yourself. You have to teach yourself to accept feeling of being limited. From simple things as being limited not to eat the whole candy box in a store without being able to pay for it, all the way to limiting your sex adventure to your truely chosen beloved wife.

Maybe but it is not anymore selfish that saying that you don't want to pay the manteinance of other's children.

And, anyhow, I value Freedom as one of the three sacred pillars of  human existence, so as long as I'm not damaging anyone else, I don't have to constrain anything.

Then I guess we agree here that injust cultural morals cannot be tolerated. What fits under injust? that is a whole new discussion.

I agree that the pillar of Justice is the more dificult one to define. Still it's all about freedom: if you damage others' freedom it's unjust, if you don't it's fair. That's why I didn't use the term "just" (somehow ambiguous) but "violent and repressive" (quite more precise).

When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

Then I assume here again that we both agree on supporting single women who cannot support themselves. Regarding a pre-cautionary common sense procedure, is marriage. Naturally most ladies are reluctant to raise kids or various kids out of marriage. We always witness the hit-and-run habit of men where he get her pregnant and disappear or deny it. Marriage assures parent support, taking responsibility and pro-women policies of divorce (in US, mostly half of husbands assets goes to the ex-wife) are nothing but an assuring measurement of protecting their rights and recognizing they are valnurable to all challenges.

That's another solution but doesn't help when the father is unknown or only sometimes when the husband is abusive.

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect.

As yourself said it, "this is not privative of that sect". Nudists are not the only people with scandals. But their news visit our newspaper much more regular with other groups of course. No wonder that is happening as now, every a child molestar, a psycho is claiming to be a nudist as an access gate for their fullfillment. Same as the doctorine of repent in Catholism which allows for priests to take advantage of kids in private sets of confessions.

These kind of things only happen in the USA. I have never read such stories about people claiming to be nudist to escape a prosecution for child abuse. It doesn't make sense: one thing is walking nude and another thing is sex, particularly forced sex or, let's call thing by their name, rape.

Instead I once came to know about one (isolate) case in which one naturist foster-father was denounced by the more conservative natural father because he used to bath with his son!  Fortunately the case went nowhere, I think.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 11:43
Originally posted by cahaya

the topic is discussing on Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban...

I just wondering... why the turks law is banning headscarf wearing?? are they denying  Islam practices and muslims right in carrying their obligation according to their faith? If the country is claiming tht they are practicising democracy policies and acknowledge human rights...then they shouldnt ban the headscarft wearing.. if they are denying ISlam's laws at least they should respect individual rights and it is the person choice to select wht he or she is going to wear in order to follow him or her religion demand... this is so strange...

For other people who is not a muslim... well headscarft wearing maybe not important for you guys... but me as a muslim.. to wear headscarft is a compulsory. in islam a woman must cover her hair from non family member or those men who she can be married to.. once u married to tht person.. thn feel free to do whtever u wish to...

Prove that hijab or turbans were used at the time of the prophet as an islamic headgear. I do not think that it is compulsatory. Islam is an august religion, but there is no way one can bring about a reconciliation between the republic and the kind of mentality that reduces Islam to “turban” wearing and also confines ethics to the narrowest interpretation of chastity, although ethics should embrace all society and every societal activity. I have given my reasoning against the hijab. Aside from azimuth no one else seem to provide documenatation to prove otherwise. http://i-cias.com/e.o/index.htm - http://i-cias.com/e.o/index.htm

the one Islam ordered women to wear is different , that it has to cover all the hair and the neck and to be less attracting when the women is out of their homes

...dont know how you can use the christian and the jewish wearing of hijab against the using of hijab to musilms?

these two religions are supposed to be the same in line with islam and as per muslims belive that these religions were corrupted and changed by its people, so having some wearing hijabs can be considered one of the things which werent changed or corrupted.

Opinion or reality? Need proof from you on this one. Most traditionalists seem to follow the notion that women back then tied there hair behind their backs and all that the new revelations provided was to cover the hair fully past their necks.

So what could this mean azimuth? Lengthen garments. But it does not say how far. Thats is up to us. Avoid being insulted. Yeah! So they would not become harrassed by aggressive men who might think of them as something less noble or conservative. Notice how no punishment is proclaimed for believers who don't lengthen the garments. But I am sure the history of traditional Islam and the taliban types love to take basic freedoms and personal choice out of the equation.

Or is this how traditionalists treat their women?

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi 3257, narrated Talq ibn Ali

Allah's Messenger said, "When a man calls his wife to satisfy his desire she must go to him even if she is occupied at the oven."

[Tirmidhi transmitted it.]

If the religion was not changed or corrupted then you are going against your own scholars?

Hadith - Bukhari 4:668, Narrated Abu Huraira , see also Bukhari 7:786

Allah's Apostle said, "The Jews and the Christians do not dye (their grey hair), so you shall do the opposite of what they do (i.e. dye your grey hair and beards)."

lol

how is that in the contrary?

how did you assume that these verses were for the prophet wives?

did you even check the reasons behind these verses and when they came on which occations and what the muslims DID in order to follow these verses??

i can see you are using different meanings of the words in the quran i wonder which dictionary you are using.

also the word hijab has more than one meaning.

you cant just make up a conclution by yourself and deciede that these verses where for prophet's wives.

In the process of writing I wrote prophet's wives and not believers. Only the last verse specifically mentions prophet's wives. My mistake if you were confused. Obviously the two previous verses I mentioned were for women of all ages. You seemed to jump on that like you have made a great discovery. But the point and logic of my presentation has not changed. The things to keep in mind is that the best garment is righteousness modesty; covering bossoms, and lenghten garments (cover legs or chest for example) are physical ways to do so. This all helps keep the wolves at bay and brings respect to women.

what i meant from my quote which you used is that the quran came in the same exact languge as the Arab spoke that time WHICH means that it was understood by them faster and the Actions they took were the accurate ones regarding any order in any verse.

Arabs today do understand the Quran easly too but as you can see to know the exact requrement of certain verses Muslims had to check through history What the early muslims did when such order or requirenmt came.

iam not saying Arabs dont know what is written in the Quran unless they transtlate it. we do know whats written there and for more details about certain matter a history must be used

a simple example the prayers werent mentioned in details in the Quran.

how would you know that you  are praying as God wanted?!

it was explained by the Prophet as he said Pray as you saw me Pray.

I have no problem with the Quran today as being written in the same language as when it first was delivered. The actions taken, as you say, were shared by the prophet and followers. That is why it reminds people to follow God and the prophet. He was a role model. His guide was God and the Quran. The hadith books were not around at the time of the prophet. It would be absurd to think that his compatriots lived by contradictory standards created generations later when they were not cannonized. Muhammad received personal revelations too, like many other humans do. But, the Quran was the only revelation he was commissioned to deliver and it is the only revelation we are supposed to follow.

If you think a believer needs to check with history and historical responses then you do not believe God that he is the teacher of the Quran. You need scholars and historians to tell you what to believe.

Seems that traditional believers tend to bring up this lack of detail bit into an arguement. Questions on prayers and such are given as examples. But if you look closer you will find it there in the Quran. I will show you if you do not have that info. But first, I am interested in how you get your info on prayer. Show me your hadiths on it. They must be out there somewhere. Are they detailed as you imply?

Lastly, I am of the mind that the Islamic religion is going through a reformation. It has in the past too. Yet currently we have greater access to vast amounts of information that enables us to question, confront or reafirm our own knowledge. The traditionalists will have to answer alot of questions with sound evidence while trying persuade inquisitive minds to see things there way. And the inquisitive ones will have much to say about age old beliefs. Commands will be evaluated and rules will be changed. People will be offended. But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface. No more diets perscribed by the scholars (i.e.-shelled fish are harram); no more dress codes prescribed by scholars beyond the freedom of personal choice as layed out in the Quran; no more baseless commands. Piety is not how long one grows a beard or follows the rigours of blind superstitions. To each their own.   

-------------

Posted By: ill_teknique
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 17:53

That is what is supposed to seperate us from lower animals, the ability to reason and the ability to limit ourselves and supress our animal urges and practice self control.  If anyone has a question of why muslims fast during Ramadan that would be it.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 18:12

Lastly, I am of the mind that the Islamic religion is going through a reformation. It has in the past too. Yet currently we have greater access to vast amounts of information that enables us to question, confront or reafirm our own knowledge. The traditionalists will have to answer alot of questions with sound evidence while trying persuade inquisitive minds to see things there way. And the inquisitive ones will have much to say about age old beliefs. Commands will be evaluated and rules will be changed. People will be offended. But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface. No more diets perscribed by the scholars (i.e.-shelled fish are harram); no more dress codes prescribed by scholars beyond the freedom of personal choice as layed out in the Quran; no more baseless commands. Piety is not how long one grows a beard or follows the rigours of blind superstitions. To each their own.   

From what you've said here I take it you are one of these liberal secularists who want religion to conform to what society wants. I suppose you will demand that Christianity and Islam accept and condone homosexuality.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 19:23

Loknar please follow the discussion. I never mentioned sexuality and its various inclinations. Call me a liberal or secularist but do so with respect and don't put words into my mouth. We have been discussing the different interpretations of how religion effects womens' roles in society. This came from the topic of banning the headscarf in Turkey. Because I question the authenticity of the headscarf 'command' doesn't mean I completely agree with the Turkish legal decision. Reread my post on this issue from an earlier response. I said the following: " I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue."

What is your point anyways? To say that I want religion conform to society's whims and fancies? If that is your understanding than you have not been paying attention. To clear the air I will leave you with my view once again. Socieities have the capabilities to create governments as they feel necessary. Religious doctrine may or may not become law within the legal jurisdiction. If it is to become law then it needs to be understood with utmost clarity that the law is an actual religious command and not only a dogmatic persuasion. How a government makes that decision was not discussed. 

You are always welcome to prove your position, whatever that may be. Lastly, religion is not static. Society is not static. Religion grows through adherents who find an appealing quality to it. Religion helps one in the spiritual and worldy realms. Because people have held age old beliefs about certain aspects of religious duties does not mean that religion is completely understood. The duties may be fixed but the search for understanding of it may continue. We are told to judge by what God has sent down and not to follow others wishes. We are told to investigate lest we harm someone out of ignorance. 49:6, 5:49. So why would you say I want to bend a religion so it can conform to something else? I am searching for meaning through investigation. And when I have doubts I'll research it. Some of my doubts have been presented so far. If you have an offense to it then that is your perogative. If you want to correct me then please do so. Just bring the proof.  

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 00:53

Loknar please follow the discussion. I never mentioned sexuality and its various inclinations. Call me a liberal or secularist but do so with respect and don't put words into my mouth. We have been discussing the different interpretations of how religion effects womens' roles in society. This came from the topic of banning the headscarf in Turkey. Because I question the authenticity of the headscarf 'command' doesn't mean I completely agree with the Turkish legal decision. Reread my post on this issue from an earlier response. I said the following: " I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue."

My apologies. I've had conversations before with real wacky liberal people who were so insistent that religion conform to contemporary society's standards and to not do so made them oppressive and reactionary. I assumed, incorrectly, you believed that religion should move to conform to a societal standard.

Your comment "But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface" is what led me on. There are millions of ways I can twist my explanation.....Lets say that something like fornication becomes accepted doctrine of mainstream Christianity, this in order to conform to a societal standard even though this throws away thousands of years of traditions. "Truth" can be twisted to mean many different things and change isnt always for the good.

I have always felt that religion is not supposed to conform to the standards of society for the very purpose of building ones spirituality and faith. Other words what’s the point of religion?

Anyway, again I do appologize for forcing words down your throat.

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 02:15
Originally posted by ill_teknique

That is what is supposed to seperate us from lower animals, the ability to reason and the ability to limit ourselves and supress our animal urges and practice self control.  If anyone has a question of why muslims fast during Ramadan that would be it.

While I don't have any objection about ascestism, fasting and other self-imposed restrictions for one's spiritual improvement. I also think that just that doesn't make us humans.

What make us humans is the great fan of choices we can make with our intelligence, using the animal instincts or overcoming them at our convenience.

Instincts are not anything negative on themselves, the animal, the body is like a car. It's useful and you have to give it some attention, according to its needs. You just can't start beating the car because you will break it, you can't force it to break in ice conditions because you are likely to lose control and crash, you can't put water in the depot because the car won't work, etc. While prescinding of the car and walking for instance is good, while not abusing the potential of the car is good, you just can't abandon the car in a corner because it will break down on lack of use.

There is an intermediate path: enjoying the car (the body) in a reasonable manner, which is diferent depending on each person and group of people.

I definitively don't want a posessive couple. I just can't bear it. I need a free person like myself. What I look for in a couple is understanding, respect, friendship, not dependence and posession.

Overdependence and possesivity are destructive and paranoid. It's sick. I know well.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 10:32

I think that the government is being protectionist.

which goverment  you mean? I cant see any goverment protectionist  against headscarf ban. this issue has nothing with goverment.  Infact Erdogan goverment is complately against to this ban.isnt this a little weird? goverment was choosen by turkish people, but he cannot even stop this nonsense ban? Ban is not wish of turkish people.

It is not important if headscarf is related with islam or not. headscarf ban is related with freedom. Even If It have no relation with islam, people should have right to use it.

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 10:54

Darn! I don't like it when this happens.

When I say government, I mean the ruling bodies in charge. So for clarity sake and my lack of being more specific I should say 'Governmental bodies'. That would be the current reigning political parties, National Secutity Council, Office of the President and the Constitution. So in this sense the process of checks and balances would approve/reject such laws.

I agree that freedoms of expression can improve.

-------------

Posted By: Mila
Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 11:29
I really don't know how I feel about the banning of
headscarves anymore.

Firstly, it's very important to distinguish between a
headscarf or veil and the idea of hijab, or modesty.

You can wear a headscarf with the most tight-fitting,
revealing outfits and then it has absolutely no
religious relevence because it defeats the whole
purpose. Likewise you can still be modest in
thousands of other styles and fashions that still
conform to Islamic rules.

So are they banning a fashion accessory, or a
religiously-motived idea? The story that they also
banned women from wearing bandanas as a
substitute seems to suggest they're banning the
religious idea, which I don't support. But then again,
Turkey is a secular country - and the majority of the
population are proud of that, want it, and fight for it -
every day. What I would consider harmless, by my
country's standards and what threats we face, might
seem as bad as domestic terrorism to most Turks.

And the same is true in reverse. Take a Jehovah's
witness visiting door-to-door. In Dallas, Texas, it
might be a simply inconvenience. In Zepa, Bosnia, it
would probably be a terrifying, uncomfortable
experience. In Tel Aviv, Israel, I believe it's even a
crime? Like Shakespeare said: Nothing is either
good or bad, thinking makes it so.

As for banning a veil, who cares. These politicians
have to feed their egos and feel they're doing
something. As for banning a religious idea, that
shouldn't be allowed. Secular states aren't Godless
or soulless states, or at least they don't have to be.

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 20:03
Mortaza worte:
"It is not important if headscarf is related with islam or not. headscarf ban is related with freedom. Even If It have no relation with islam, people should have right to use it."

totally agree. This isnt about religion just freedom of expression, and hec fashion!! This problem i hope Erdogan can fix.

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 16:48

I will state my own ideas about that.

I totally have nothing against people wearing headscarfs or not. It is a matter of choice. And people in Turkey are free to wear it except those who work for the state institutions and high school/university students(So still the state institutions). So there is freedom except for the workers of those places.

So, what we discuss here is the dressing of headscarf in the state institutions.But Turkey's situation is different here on that specific issue.

The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians use headscarf as an Islamic symbol. They even force some students to wear that to make their propaganda.They give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf. They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system. They want to found a theocratic regime in Turkey in long term. So, what makes headscarf to be banned in these state institutions were the abuse of them.Some people didn't wear it for their own reasons, but for their sect's reasons, they weren't really cordial.

Either, the traditional headscarf worn in Turkey is a little different from the turban which some groups use, mostly still for provocative reasons.Especially, there are some who is around with black sheets, closing even their nose and one eye, that is really absurd, and has nothing to do with religion.

So, I am personally not against headscarfs being worn in those state institutions as it is worn outside, but of course if it is made cordially, from the heart, in the right form,not the provocative one and not abused by blending religion and politics.

What is done in Turkey was something abusive, and the court is totally right about this issue considering terms of secularism.Some things had to be given to prevent more dangerous things.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 17:25

Pretty much my sentiments too Kapikulu.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 17:32

Pretty much my sentiments too Kapikulu.

Thanks a lot,Seko

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 19:18

In one of the phrases above, it is written:
"shame of sex".
Why is sex considered shameful? It is a normal function for the male and female human species, not to mention neurologically and physically necessary to maintain hormonal levels (chemical imbalances) at a normal level!

Sex without marriage is banned in Islam as it is considered as adultery.

It has reasons though, to provide true loyalty and commitment and either, we see children being left by parents, and AIDS,syphilis etc. 

It is the rule, some apply it, some don't

And about the scarf stuff in Qur'an, from what I know either, there is no clear and bare statement about covering the head, it is about covering the bosom as I read in some Turkish translations.

It is not banned in Turkey, I had several Armenian people in my old school when I was in high school, walking around freely with their crosses on and showing them to us intentionally.

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 01:24

Originally posted by Kapikulu

.The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians use headscarf as an Islamic symbol. They even force some students to wear that to make their propaganda.They give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf. They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system. They want to found a theocratic regime in Turkey in long term.

How did a simple right of choice turns to be at the end a step toward a theocratic regime!

Making assumption that Islamist parties are giving money for spread of headscarf and to increase religion involvement in politics is an untested claim. Also, working toward religious groups invovlement in politics is not a bad thing. In fact, it encourages the application of the state system on all groups and provide an access to authority to all the groups in a true democracy. Instead of frustrated members who cannot participate in decision making turning against the state and adopt extreme measures, allowing them to participate is alwaying them to persue their believes and goals through systematic and recognized channels.

By the way, many religious groups operate in many secular countries, even in France, Germany, Austria....etc.  In fact, some European countries witnessed an increase of  the right & conservative groups involvement in politics, as recently the Christian Democrat party succeeding in Germany.

Increased representation of Islamic parties in Turkey should not be a worry if there is a true democracy as people are englighted and free to choose their approperiate next president. It can only worry either  Islamo-phobic or fanatic secular who sees every increase of religious representation a direct threat to the whole democratic system! As if religious groups can produce only theocratic leaders!

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 04:10

is a matter of choice. And people in Turkey are free to wear it except those who work for the state institutions and high school/university students(So still the state institutions). So there is freedom except for the workers of those places.

I dont  think becoming a student can be called as a workers of those places.

Hospitals, public parks or even some big banks are state institution, will we not accept ill people because they use headscarfs, because hospital is  state instutition? No need to distort fact, and lets remember, headscarfs not only banned at state univercity but also private university, so this state institution dont hold much water.

So, what we discuss here is the dressing of headscarf in the state institutions.But Turkey's situation is different here on that specific issue.

Yeah, I agree, we have a little different from france or germany. Our population is mostly muslim.

The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians use headscarf as an Islamic symbol. They even force some students to wear that to make their propaganda.

lie, noone is forcing student to wear headscarf(they have no force), but state force them to not use headscarf. Changing fact?

by the way, what it this The extreme-Islamic sects and sectarians?

I dont know any The extreme-Islamic sects who is effective too much in Turkey, but I think for you, wearing headscarf make every one, extreme islamic sect.

give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf.

Not excatly true, even If this is true,this means nothing, this people use headscarf with their free will and let remember, they have more thing to loose than gain. Remember they wont let to enter uni, If they use headscarf.

They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system.

Nonsense, all  world muslim use headscarf, do you think all of them is against turkish secular state system? ridiculus.

They want to found a theocratic regime in Turkey in long term. So, what makes headscarf to be banned in these state institutions were the abuse of them.

what I can see is, state is pressuring religious people, not otherwise.You cannot punish someone, because you think he would do something. Against every basic of law.

there cannot be any punishment  without guilt.

Some people didn't wear it for their own reasons, but for their sect's reasons, they weren't really cordial.

Absurd, cant find other word.

they  wear headscarf not their religious idea but politic idea. Great sense, just curiosity, do this people also pray for their politic ideas?

Either, the traditional headscarf worn in Turkey is a little different from the turban which some groups use, mostly still for provocative reasons

let me think, banning headscarf is accepted, but wearing is called as provocative. are you out of mind, do your grantmother wear it because  of provocative reason? hit her, she is provoking you.

Especially, there are some who is around with black sheets, closing even their nose and one eye, that is really absurd, and has nothing to do with religion.

this is their decision, not yours. and lets remember they are minority of minority. even, no need to mention(of course If you have good will)

So, I am personally not against headscarfs being worn in those state institutions as it is worn outside, but of course if it is made cordially, from the heart, in the right form,not the provocative one and not abused by blending religion and politics.

can you tell me, what they should do, to be not called as provocative? do not wear headscarf?

What is done in Turkey was something abusive, and the court is totally right about this issue considering terms of secularism.Some things had to be given to prevent more dangerous things.

So you are not against headscarf. I understand you, remember your grand mother is enemy of state. (most probably she is wearing  headscarf)

It is not banned in Turkey, I had several Armenian people in my old school when I was in high school, walking around freely with their crosses on and showing them to us intentionally.

oh so this crosses are also provocative. To much provocation in Turkey.

Ironic, minority have more right than majority. they can use their cross, but a muslim cannot use headscarf.

By the way, dont you think, Iranian goverment also think not using headscarf is provoking.

I think our country is different than Iran(Infact It is mainly said, If we let this people use headscarf, our country would become like Iran)

But It looks like your country is almost same with iran, just different face..

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 04:33

give extra monetary help to those who wear the headscarf.

Not excatly true, even If this is true,this means nothing, this people use headscarf with their free will and let remember, they have more thing to loose than gain. Remember they wont let to enter uni, If they use headscarf.

So they are actually bribing families to force their women to wear the veil... I see.

They want to put the religion into the politics, which is basically against a secular state system.

Nonsense, all  world muslim use headscarf, do you think all of them is against turkish secular state system? ridiculus.

Not actually, have you seen the pictures posted by Mila of Bosnian Muslim women? They do not wear headscarf but they do wear miniskirt at times. In my neighborhood, old Muslim ladies do but young ones mostly don't. It's a vanishing fashion.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 08:17

Typical traditional Islamic prejudism in action?  Looks like Turkey isn't the only country facing the injustices of religious bigots.

"While some are fighting the ban against headscarves, others are struggling against order to put them on. In the Netherlands, Muslim teacher Samira Haddad filed a suit against Amsterdam's Islam Preparatory School when her application for work there was rejected on the basis of her not wearing a headscarf." http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=20051118093203684 - http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=20051118093203684

Turkey may sound extreme, but I would rather have it her way then let fundamentalists take it over and make all women were a headscarf. Look at the Iranian women. That is one kind of revolution that is not welcome in Turkey.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com