Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban
    Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 00:53
Originally posted by Seko

Loknar please follow the discussion. I never mentioned sexuality and its various inclinations. Call me a liberal or secularist but do so with respect and don't put words into my mouth. We have been discussing the different interpretations of how religion effects womens' roles in society. This came from the topic of banning the headscarf in Turkey. Because I question the authenticity of the headscarf 'command' doesn't mean I completely agree with the Turkish legal decision. Reread my post on this issue from an earlier response. I said the following: " I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue."

My apologies. I've had conversations before with real wacky liberal people who were so insistent that religion conform to contemporary society's standards and to not do so made them oppressive and reactionary. I assumed, incorrectly, you believed that religion should move to conform to a societal standard.

Your comment "But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface" is what led me on. There are millions of ways I can twist my explanation.....Lets say that something like fornication becomes accepted doctrine of mainstream Christianity, this in order to conform to a societal standard even though this throws away thousands of years of traditions. "Truth" can be twisted to mean many different things and change isnt always for the good.

I have always felt that religion is not supposed to conform to the standards of society for the very purpose of building ones spirituality and faith. Other words whats the point of religion?

Anyway, again I do appologize for forcing words down your throat.

Edited by Loknar
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 19:23

Loknar please follow the discussion. I never mentioned sexuality and its various inclinations. Call me a liberal or secularist but do so with respect and don't put words into my mouth. We have been discussing the different interpretations of how religion effects womens' roles in society. This came from the topic of banning the headscarf in Turkey. Because I question the authenticity of the headscarf 'command' doesn't mean I completely agree with the Turkish legal decision. Reread my post on this issue from an earlier response. I said the following: " I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue."

What is your point anyways? To say that I want religion conform to society's whims and fancies? If that is your understanding than you have not been paying attention. To clear the air I will leave you with my view once again. Socieities have the capabilities to create governments as they feel necessary. Religious doctrine may or may not become law within the legal jurisdiction. If it is to become law then it needs to be understood with utmost clarity that the law is an actual religious command and not only a dogmatic persuasion. How a government makes that decision was not discussed. 

You are always welcome to prove your position, whatever that may be. Lastly, religion is not static. Society is not static. Religion grows through adherents who find an appealing quality to it. Religion helps one in the spiritual and worldy realms. Because people have held age old beliefs about certain aspects of religious duties does not mean that religion is completely understood. The duties may be fixed but the search for understanding of it may continue. We are told to judge by what God has sent down and not to follow others wishes. We are told to investigate lest we harm someone out of ignorance. 49:6, 5:49. So why would you say I want to bend a religion so it can conform to something else? I am searching for meaning through investigation. And when I have doubts I'll research it. Some of my doubts have been presented so far. If you have an offense to it then that is your perogative. If you want to correct me then please do so. Just bring the proof.  

Edited by Seko
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 18:12

Lastly, I am of the mind that the Islamic religion is going through a reformation. It has in the past too. Yet currently we have greater access to vast amounts of information that enables us to question, confront or reafirm our own knowledge. The traditionalists will have to answer alot of questions with sound evidence while trying persuade inquisitive minds to see things there way. And the inquisitive ones will have much to say about age old beliefs. Commands will be evaluated and rules will be changed. People will be offended. But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface. No more diets perscribed by the scholars (i.e.-shelled fish are harram); no more dress codes prescribed by scholars beyond the freedom of personal choice as layed out in the Quran; no more baseless commands. Piety is not how long one grows a beard or follows the rigours of blind superstitions. To each their own.   

From what you've said here I take it you are one of these liberal secularists who want religion to conform to what society wants. I suppose you will demand that Christianity and Islam accept and condone homosexuality.

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 17:53
Originally posted by ok ge

Originally posted by Maju

. but I hate the feeling of being limited..

That is the whole foundation of our argument. When it is allright for you to excercise options of not feeling limited and when is it not your right to unlimit yourself. You have to teach yourself to accept feeling of being limited. From simple things as being limited not to eat the whole candy box in a store without being able to pay for it, all the way to limiting your sex adventure to your truely chosen beloved wife.

To say "I hate the feeling of being limited" is kind of a selfish statement.

That is what is supposed to seperate us from lower animals, the ability to reason and the ability to limit ourselves and supress our animal urges and practice self control.  If anyone has a question of why muslims fast during Ramadan that would be it.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 11:43
Originally posted by cahaya

the topic is discussing on Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban...

I just wondering... why the turks law is banning headscarf wearing?? are they denying  Islam practices and muslims right in carrying their obligation according to their faith? If the country is claiming tht they are practicising democracy policies and acknowledge human rights...then they shouldnt ban the headscarft wearing.. if they are denying ISlam's laws at least they should respect individual rights and it is the person choice to select wht he or she is going to wear in order to follow him or her religion demand... this is so strange...

For other people who is not a muslim... well headscarft wearing maybe not important for you guys... but me as a muslim.. to wear headscarft is a compulsory. in islam a woman must cover her hair from non family member or those men who she can be married to.. once u married to tht person.. thn feel free to do whtever u wish to...

Prove that hijab or turbans were used at the time of the prophet as an islamic headgear. I do not think that it is compulsatory. Islam is an august religion, but there is no way one can bring about a reconciliation between the republic and the kind of mentality that reduces Islam to turban wearing and also confines ethics to the narrowest interpretation of chastity, although ethics should embrace all society and every societal activity. I have given my reasoning against the hijab. Aside from azimuth no one else seem to provide documenatation to prove otherwise. http://i-cias.com/e.o/index.htm

Originally posted by azimuth

the one Islam ordered women to wear is different , that it has to cover all the hair and the neck and to be less attracting when the women is out of their homes

...dont know how you can use the christian and the jewish wearing of hijab against the using of hijab to musilms?

these two religions are supposed to be the same in line with islam and as per muslims belive that these religions were corrupted and changed by its people, so having some wearing hijabs can be considered one of the things which werent changed or corrupted.

Opinion or reality? Need proof from you on this one. Most traditionalists seem to follow the notion that women back then tied there hair behind their backs and all that the new revelations provided was to cover the hair fully past their necks.

- [33:59] "O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their
garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid
being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful."

So what could this mean azimuth? Lengthen garments. But it does not say how far. Thats is up to us. Avoid being insulted. Yeah! So they would not become harrassed by aggressive men who might think of them as something less noble or conservative. Notice how no punishment is proclaimed for believers who don't lengthen the garments. But I am sure the history of traditional Islam and the taliban types love to take basic freedoms and personal choice out of the equation.

Or is this how traditionalists treat their women?

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi 3257, narrated Talq ibn Ali

Allah's Messenger said, "When a man calls his wife to satisfy his desire she must go to him even if she is occupied at the oven."

[Tirmidhi transmitted it.]

If the religion was not changed or corrupted then you are going against your own scholars?

Hadith - Bukhari 4:668, Narrated Abu Huraira , see also Bukhari 7:786

Allah's Apostle said, "The Jews and the Christians do not dye (their grey hair), so you shall do the opposite of what they do (i.e. dye your grey hair and beards)."

lol

how is that in the contrary?

how did you assume that these verses were for the prophet wives?

did you even check the reasons behind these verses and when they came on which occations and what the muslims DID in order to follow these verses??

i can see you are using different meanings of the words in the quran i wonder which dictionary you are using.

also the word hijab has more than one meaning.

you cant just make up a conclution by yourself and deciede that these verses where for prophet's wives.

In the process of writing I wrote prophet's wives and not believers. Only the last verse specifically mentions prophet's wives. My mistake if you were confused. Obviously the two previous verses I mentioned were for women of all ages. You seemed to jump on that like you have made a great discovery. But the point and logic of my presentation has not changed. The things to keep in mind is that the best garment is righteousness modesty; covering bossoms, and lenghten garments (cover legs or chest for example) are physical ways to do so. This all helps keep the wolves at bay and brings respect to women.

what i meant from my quote which you used is that the quran came in the same exact languge as the Arab spoke that time WHICH means that it was understood by them faster and the Actions they took were the accurate ones regarding any order in any verse.

Arabs today do understand the Quran easly too but as you can see to know the exact requrement of certain verses Muslims had to check through history What the early muslims did when such order or requirenmt came.

iam not saying Arabs dont know what is written in the Quran unless they transtlate it. we do know whats written there and for more details about certain matter a history must be used

a simple example the prayers werent mentioned in details in the Quran.

how would you know that you  are praying as God wanted?!

it was explained by the Prophet as he said Pray as you saw me Pray.

I have no problem with the Quran today as being written in the same language as when it first was delivered. The actions taken, as you say, were shared by the prophet and followers. That is why it reminds people to follow God and the prophet. He was a role model. His guide was God and the Quran. The hadith books were not around at the time of the prophet. It would be absurd to think that his compatriots lived by contradictory standards created generations later when they were not cannonized. Muhammad received personal revelations too, like many other humans do. But, the Quran was the only revelation he was commissioned to deliver and it is the only revelation we are supposed to follow.

If you think a believer needs to check with history and historical responses then you do not believe God that he is the teacher of the Quran. You need scholars and historians to tell you what to believe.

Seems that traditional believers tend to bring up this lack of detail bit into an arguement. Questions on prayers and such are given as examples. But if you look closer you will find it there in the Quran. I will show you if you do not have that info. But first, I am interested in how you get your info on prayer. Show me your hadiths on it. They must be out there somewhere. Are they detailed as you imply?

Lastly, I am of the mind that the Islamic religion is going through a reformation. It has in the past too. Yet currently we have greater access to vast amounts of information that enables us to question, confront or reafirm our own knowledge. The traditionalists will have to answer alot of questions with sound evidence while trying persuade inquisitive minds to see things there way. And the inquisitive ones will have much to say about age old beliefs. Commands will be evaluated and rules will be changed. People will be offended. But this is all worth it if the truth has a chance to surface. No more diets perscribed by the scholars (i.e.-shelled fish are harram); no more dress codes prescribed by scholars beyond the freedom of personal choice as layed out in the Quran; no more baseless commands. Piety is not how long one grows a beard or follows the rigours of blind superstitions. To each their own.   

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:30

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. .

To say you have nothing against prostitute but you have a lot against who use them it is an unbalanced view as much as saying "you have nothing agaist drug sellers, but you have a lot against drug users".

While some prostitute are forced LITERALLY to engage in prostitution, most are forced by economic difficulties. Those are as worse as saying I had to steal money because of economic difficulties. I  have no sympathy to prostitutes and those who use them too.

I do have sympathy for prostitutes because I know theirs is a miserable life (at least in most cases) and I am entitled to the divine virtue of compassion. Instead I feel no respect for their masters nor their clients, specially the first kind, but rather hate.

I don't think you got the point when us used that drug comparison. It's like saying I don't like drug sellers but I feel compassion for drug users. I see prostitutes and addicts as the victims of their stories. You can't compare a prostitute to a drug dealer, the most with the drug itself. I also don't think that prostitute clients are any kind of vitims but vicious people that should learn to solve their urges on their own.

But of course you're not in favor of masturbation either, am I wrong?

That is the whole foundation of our argument. When it is allright for you to excercise options of not feeling limited and when is it not your right to unlimit yourself. You have to teach yourself to accept feeling of being limited. From simple things as being limited not to eat the whole candy box in a store without being able to pay for it, all the way to limiting your sex adventure to your truely chosen beloved wife.

Maybe but it is not anymore selfish that saying that you don't want to pay the manteinance of other's children.

And, anyhow, I value Freedom as one of the three sacred pillars of  human existence, so as long as I'm not damaging anyone else, I don't have to constrain anything.

I'm not placing cultural diversity as any ideal. I'm just putting cultural examples of diferent morals. Some I like, others are indiferent and the most violent and represive are hateful to me.

Then I guess we agree here that injust cultural morals cannot be tolerated. What fits under injust? that is a whole new discussion.

I agree that the pillar of Justice is the more dificult one to define. Still it's all about freedom: if you damage others' freedom it's unjust, if you don't it's fair. That's why I didn't use the term "just" (somehow ambiguous) but "violent and repressive" (quite more precise).

When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

Then I assume here again that we both agree on supporting single women who cannot support themselves. Regarding a pre-cautionary common sense procedure, is marriage. Naturally most ladies are reluctant to raise kids or various kids out of marriage. We always witness the hit-and-run habit of men where he get her pregnant and disappear or deny it. Marriage assures parent support, taking responsibility and pro-women policies of divorce (in US, mostly half of husbands assets goes to the ex-wife) are nothing but an assuring measurement of protecting their rights and recognizing they are valnurable to all challenges.

That's another solution but doesn't help when the father is unknown or only sometimes when the husband is abusive.

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect.

As yourself said it, "this is not privative of that sect". Nudists are not the only people with scandals. But their news visit our newspaper much more regular with other groups of course. No wonder that is happening as now, every a child molestar, a psycho is claiming to be a nudist as an access gate for their fullfillment. Same as the doctorine of repent in Catholism which allows for priests to take advantage of kids in private sets of confessions.

These kind of things only happen in the USA. I have never read such stories about people claiming to be nudist to escape a prosecution for child abuse. It doesn't make sense: one thing is walking nude and another thing is sex, particularly forced sex or, let's call thing by their name, rape.

Instead I once came to know about one (isolate) case in which one naturist foster-father was denounced by the more conservative natural father because he used to bath with his son!  Fortunately the case went nowhere, I think.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:07

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. .

To say you have nothing against prostitute but you have a lot against who use them it is an unbalanced view as much as saying "you have nothing agaist drug sellers, but you have a lot against drug users".

While some prostitute are forced LITERALLY to engage in prostitution, most are forced by economic difficulties. Those are as worse as saying I had to steal money because of economic difficulties. I  have no sympathy to prostitutes and those who use them too.

I'm not placing cultural diversity as any ideal. I'm just putting cultural examples of diferent morals. Some I like, others are indiferent and the most violent and represive are hateful to me.

Then I guess we agree here that injust cultural morals cannot be tolerated. What fits under injust? that is a whole new discussion. 

When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

Then I assume here again that we both agree on supporting single women who cannot support themselves. Regarding a pre-cautionary common sense procedure, is marriage. Naturally most ladies are reluctant to raise kids or various kids out of marriage. We always witness the hit-and-run habit of men where he get her pregnant and disappear or deny it. Marriage assures parent support, taking responsibility and pro-women policies of divorce (in US, mostly half of husbands assets goes to the ex-wife) are nothing but an assuring measurement of protecting their rights and recognizing they are valnurable to all challenges.

You have some funny strange ideas about people who doesn't follow your schemes.

Don't get sensitive Maju. You should take it as a joke as much as I took your "whimpy" label on me. I hope you enjoyed it. At least, you have now a new terminology.

Next time you are in Porstmouth take the ferry to Bilbao. .

Since Im a whimpy, I prefer traditional family-friendly beaches. But thank you though.

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect.

As yourself said it, "this is not privative of that sect". Nudists are not the only people with scandals. But their news visit our newspaper much more regular with other groups of course. No wonder that is happening as now, every a child molestar, a psycho is claiming to be a nudist as an access gate for their fullfillment. Same as the doctorine of repent in Catholism which allows for priests to take advantage of kids in private sets of confessions.

There is a lot that can be said here, I personally prefer observing the developing studies regarding nudity effect on the society and based on those imperial studies, I will be able to render a better decision in the future.

I enjoyed the topic though

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 01:05

If your wife wants to make love with me (this is a hypothetical case, of course, I only make love with people that I fall in love with - but I don't ask them their civil status anyhow), you may have objections but I don't see why I would have to worry. It is she who has to make her choices. It is her right.

Then I think it is easier and wise to marry a prostitute. She has no objections with you goofing around and she will support the family financially too.

While I have nothing against prostitutes, I have a lot against the people who use them and abuse them. So I would never be that kind of "guy", the shame of my gender. Paying for sex... what a misery!

But I've been with polyamorous people and it's fine. Better than jealous ultra-monogamous ones. And not that I'm a particularly polyamorous person, I think I'm rather monogamous but I hate the feeling of being limited.

I don't admire that - I reject it as I reject burka, but I do admire naturality in allowing diferent types of relationships without making big deal of that.

I think you missed the point here. The point is that if other cultures do it, it does not mean it is correct or it is a part of the culture that we shall stay nuetral about. If you are opposing Burka for women rights, I oppose sex out of marriage as it has been proven the case most of the time the husband will escape his obligation leaving the women valnurable to many difficulties. Also, why would I support a child that is not mine? We are not hamsters who only produce with only motherhood support.

I would have no problem supporting children that aren't biologically "mine", assumed I love their mother. But, just in case let's the state or community make sure that lone mothers have means for a worthy survival, so the kids (and the mothers) are not negatively affected by any marital problems.

The couple is not any contract for bringing kids it is a matter of love between two persons (more persons wouldn't be a couple ). When love is dead, and, sorry, but life sucks sometimes and love can't be bought, the family (understood as mother + children) still need means to survive with dignity and for that the state or community must provide if they want to promote a reasonable demographic stability/growth compatible with the rights of women.

What is a nuptial fighter? First time I read or hear that term.

Don't worry, Nuptial fighter is much politer than a whimpy. Nuptial fight is when males go and fight during the breeding seasons of various animals. I just loved classifying you a nuptial fighter as you might wait for your breeding season and excercise your mother nature-given right of breeding around with various females at the same time

You have some funny strange ideas about people who doesn't follow your schemes. Nuptial fight is not the idea I have of attraction and love, it's more a man-woman bilateral thing. When I see strong competition I know it's time to go (not because I fear any fight but because I know when I am in excess and find "nuptial competition" ridiculous). After all it's just an affair. If there's something strong there's not any of that competition, though there can be affairs always. Why to put limits to Eros?

You're wrong about nude beaches, at least here. There are beaches where nudism is not allowed (something I dispute) and there are others where it is (but being clothed is also allowed, paradoxically).

Im not sure about Spain, but Portsmouth, England, sets an age requirement for entering a nudist beach..

Next time you are in Porstmouth take the ferry to Bilbao.

I'll tell you one story about my great-grandma Maximina.

Funny story. For me, I would like to tell you also a story but not as peaceful and funny as yours.

Nudism is nothing but a blanket for social decay. If it wasnt to encourage it, at leasts it covers it. As far as I recall, the well-known American nudist Jonathan Tampico  was convicted of child molester. He is known to frequent nudist camps and to use the preaching of family nudism and whole body acceptance to victimize male children. He is not on the "Caution List" of the American Association for Nude Recreation (past American Sunbathing Association).

Also in 1992, Joseph Robert Wanner, 39 years old and a substitute elementary school teacher; pro-feminist member of a university women's action committee; naturist; and articulate defender of abortion, animal, atheist, and Native American rights, was arrested at his home in Kutztown, Pennsylvania. Mr. Wanner was charged with 14 counts of rape, 14 counts of statutory rape, 12 counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, 3 counts of corruption of minors, 19 counts of sexual abuse of children for the production and manufacturing of child pornography, 144 counts of child sex abuse for possession of child pornography, 17 counts of indecent assault, 6 counts of aggravated indecent assault, and 1 count of voluntary deviate sexual intercourse (with a cat).  

This is ridiculous! Do you know how many Catholic priests have been prosecuted and convicted for pederasty in the last years only in the USA? And I'm sure this is not privative of that sect. Mixing nudism and pederasty seems to me totally absurd. I don't deny that there are some perverts around in all kind of enviroments but I don't make of child abuse my banner against religion. I think that most Catholics (or Muslims for the case) are not such kind of people.

Anyhow, I have also a recipe against rapists, including child abusers, surgical castration. They will be still able to live normal lives but they won't have anymore those urges that they don't know how to manage. It's quite a compassive and effective measure and I wonder why it is not applied everywhere already.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 00:56

what are you talking about?

discuss whatever you like anywhere, that quote is not a complain or a restriction or anything.

you misunderstood what i meant obviously and happily tried to make fun of it >>><<< and another one for the "banana club"  suggestion here it is >><<

anyway

i meant you dont expect people to belive you on your claims with few knowledge you got from reading a transilted verses, and not caring about what people did through history from their understanding to such verses.

its wiser to take into account why others did such actions regarding such orders and didnt do what you see as obviouse order.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 00:40
you dont come now after all these years and to tell us that the Quran was misunderstood and you the wise one after 14 centures found out the truth !

Why not? (Inside your scheme) I am as much Allah's creation and Allah's intention as you or Mohammed himself. If I can discuss Christian religion with Jesuit priests (and put them in quite dificult situations), I can also discuss Islam with mullahs or Hindusim with babas. I don't need to believe in it to discuss it. If you don't like it you can found your own private "banana club" with restricted access.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 23:27

which means they are wearing veils already and need to cover their chests aswell.

It is assumed that they wear headscarfs as that was apparently customary among Arabic Pagans. You are trying to use this accidental mention of a Pagan custom to enforce it in the name of Islam. I find it a total aberration.

The headscarf Arab wore before Islam is different than the one women had to wear after Islam.

that the first one was not actully covering the hair, it was mostly used as a type of sun and environment protection, women also used it as a beauty accessory, with more colors and gold hanging on it.

the one Islam ordered women to wear is different , that it has to cover all the hair and the neck and to be less attracting when the women is out of their homes.

and iam not using anything here which is not being used through history.

AS i said earlier when any verse comes with an order for muslims to follow the usual practice is to see what did the prophet and his companions reacted to such verse.

the way they delt with such verses IS the way the Verse is has to be understood  as simple as that.

you dont come now after all these years and to tell us that the Quran was misunderstood and you the wise one after 14 centures found out the truth !

the way the Prophet and his companions dealt with the Orders in the Quran is the exact action required by the Quran.

the order is clear enough, people who doesnt know much about the religion and its history would aruge about these things. half knowlege is worse than ignorance.

One can't know about everything. But I try to understand. Yet the more I understand Islam the less I like it. It seems a cult, in the worst sense of the term: mixing religion and politics since its origins, trying to get women back to the dark ages, threatening those that decide to abandon the sect...

Ugly.

i didnt say one can know or cant know, i said half knowledge is worse than ignorance,

that when you base your actions and decision on such poor or incomplete knowledge about certain matter.

and about the dark ages story, well if you are intersted i advice you to keep getting more infos and read more about how women treated through history and how are they actully treated now FROM DIFFERENT angles and not from one community and one source.

Originally posted by gcle2003

On the questionof interpreting the Koran: if you are going to claim that the original Arabic has to be translated so that it can be understood by people today (including today's Arab speakers) then what you are taching is no longer the word of God but the word of the translator.

Interpretations of the Koran are no more valid as Koranic truths than the translations of Christ's teachings in the King James version are valid as Christian truths.

They are both the work of men.

(The Christians get out of this to some extent thanks to the doctrine of the Holy Ghost, but Muslims can't claim that.)

iam not claiming that the original arabic has to be transilated to be understood by Arabs today, we Arabs read the quran as it is when it first came.

the thing is that there are some words which are not popular today and not clear to many people and we have Arabic/Arabic Dictionaries for these words. similar to the English/English ones.

also it is known that the Quran has deep meanings which are transilated through the Actions of the Prophet and His close Companions after him.

these Actions ARE the ones the Islamic Scholars used to give more details about certain verses.

so the comparision between the Quran and the bible is weak, that the first bible is not the same as the ONES available today.

Muslims dont treat the transilations of the Quran as Quran.

I tried to stay out of this topic (redundant) but now I have an urge to say a thing or two.

Two issues: Turkey banning head scarfs; and Islamic understanding of sentences that some choose to accept as 'headscarf'.

By making this first point short and sweet, I'll say that Turkey has been on the defensive against fundamentalism from the beginning of the Republic. Part of the developement of it's political culture consisted on clarifying it's language, doctrines and state authority. The headscarf issue falls under this catagory. It is a secular (laik) law refraining from wearing it while in and on governmental duty and university settings. Other then that, the headscarf is allowed anywhere else. Opinions currently vary on the headscarf banning and the accompanying impact it has had. I think that the government is being protectionist. If and when governmental ideology matures further, dependant on percieved or legitamate threats to its constitution, then the headscarf situation will not be such a grave issue.

well obviously this law is not being enforced as you are saying, less than a month ago the Turkish President made a party in his residence and didnt invite the women from some political parties because they wear head scarf and made an announcement that this place wont allow any women with head scarf to enter it. !! how can this be a governmental duty and university settings???

and how would you make this as a law while a huge percentage of the population are against it? very democratic huh?

they are calling themselvs secular and Muslims at the same time and so strict about a peice of extra cloths a woman wants to wear on her head. i wonder if they acctuly pray and if they do  what do they wear? i mean the female ones.

the Scholars are not making or saying anything new here, they are more like collectors of the events and what the prophet did, what his companion understood from each verse and how did they obay any orders mentioned in the Quran.

so abou the Hejab or Head scarf, most of the scholars has mentioned that when this order came women started covering their hairs and neck. starting from the prophet's wifes.

so its clear that they understood the verse as an order to cover their hair with a veil as an order not as a suggestion from God.

Many scholars had already wore the headscarf prior to turning moslem. Jewish and Christian women had already done so in their past. The moslems borrowed this tradition to the tee. Same for most Arab men and women prior to Muhammed. They wore hijab as a custom. Not because of their own religious beliefs.

dont know how you can use the christian and the jewish wearing of hijab against the using of hijab to musilms?

these two religions are supposed to be the same in line with islam and as per muslims belive that these religions were corrupted and changed by its people, so having some wearing hijabs can be considered one of the things which werent changed or corrupted.

and as i mentioned above the wearing of head scarf before islam is not as it is after islam.

The order for the prophets wives to cover themselves are the following: 

-  [7:26] "O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best
garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of GOD's signs, that they may take heed."

- [24:31]

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and keep covered their private parts, and that they should not show-off their beauty except what is apparent, and let them cast their shawls over their cleavage..." 

Which means they should (Khimar) cover their chests.

- [33:59] "O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their
garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid
being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful."

The Arabic words used for cover are "KHuMuR" (to cover). One can cover a floor with a rug and cover a chest with clothing for example. In 24:31 "fel yedribne 'they shall put, they shall cover' is used. However in verse 33:59 "fel yudnine 'they shall lengthen' is used. The first is to cover the bossom and the next one is to lenghten garments. Specifically varied phrases for different sentences carry meanings appropriate to each context. 

The word 'Hijab' was not used. The words for 'hair' was not even used in the above aya (verses). The word "Hijab" appears in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban," these are 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 & 19:17. Yet none of those are in the context of a dress code. 

In summary and contrary to what was suggested by others, covering hair is not a commandment.

lol

how is that in the contrary?

how did you assume that these verses were for the prophet wives?

did you even check the reasons behind these verses and when they came on which occations and what the muslims DID in order to follow these verses??

i can see you are using different meanings of the words in the quran i wonder which dictionary you are using.

also the word hijab has more than one meaning.

you cant just make up a conclution by yourself and deciede that these verses where for prophet's wives.

as i said it is Clear in Arabic, also The Quran came in Arabic language the exact one the people used to talk 1400 years ago. which means they would understand it much much faster and easier than today's Arab may do.

The Quran is still clear. 

[12:2] "We have sent it down an Arabic Quran, perhaps you will comprehend."

People of the past and present can still analyze the Quran. It is not the domain of past scholars to interprete it only.

Muslim scholars have many opinions about women that are often degrading and insulting. i.e.- comparisons to dogs, can't pray at certain times, abominations, etc. Though such scholars have much good to say too, I still focus on the negative to highlight the rediculous beliefs that still exist in the muslim mentality.

The Quran, on the other hand, permits men and woman to eat together or to help each other (24:61; 3:195; 9:71). The Quran provides several examples of women being active role models in their societies and were interacting with men, such as Abraham's wife (11:69-71; 60:4-6), Muslim women in Madyan with one whom Moses married (28:23-28), the Queen of Sheba who later surrenders to the will of God (27:34:40), and Mary (19:16-30; 3:42-43; 66:11-12). Muslim women were so outspoken that they could engage in debate with Muhammad (28:23-28), and women pledged allegiance and voted for Muhammad's leadership (60:12).

With respect to all the believers we still have the duty to enhance social rights and question inhibiting actions that impact the standards of living for all sexes. Modesty has been encouraged. But fear and insecurity (secular or traditional Islamic) can and should take a back seat to open discussions and freedoms. 

what i meant from my quote which you used is that the quran came in the same exact languge as the Arab spoke that time WHICH means that it was understood by them faster and the Actions they took were the accurate ones regarding any order in any verse.

Arabs today do understand the Quran easly too but as you can see to know the exact requrement of certain verses Muslims had to check through history What the early muslims did when such order or requirenmt came.

iam not saying Arabs dont know what is written in the Quran unless they transtlate it. we do know whats written there and for more details about certain matter a history must be used

a simple example the prayers werent mentioned in details in the Quran.

how would you know that you  are praying as God wanted?!

it was explained by the Prophet as he said Pray as you saw me Pray.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:48

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Your article says the results were not normalised for all factors. Most single-parent families are poor, because the parent does not have support. If they were not poor, things would have been different. Also, I have seen research which gives different results than this before.

I don't see where it says the results were not normalized for all factors. In fact it says clearly "After adjusting for other factors, children with a lone parent were found to be twice ...."

Also, it admits that other contradicting articles exist, however not in the size of this study or even closer.

Regarding that if a single parent can succeed if financial and educational support is given, Im sure it did exist. However, we are discussing the norms and not the exceptions. I quote myself from the same thread:

The only difference is that the responsibility is normally divided and no burden is imposed on a single parent.

While some single parents succeeded in offsetting the challenge, the general trend from imperial studies shows that most single-parents fails in keeping up that shortage.

The example at the end of your previous post. I am asking you if you believe that there is a connection between that person's deviant sexual behaviour and him being an atheists' and feminists' rights supporter? 

Both of the two examples were given in regards to Nudism. The fact that he was an athiest just a state of the fact, positions, and roles he was involved with, including being a teacher and an animal right supporter.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:32

Your article says the results were not normalised for all factors. Most single-parent families are poor, because the parent does not have support. If they were not poor, things would have been different. Also, I have seen research which gives different results than this before.

To be precise, what examples?

The example at the end of your previous post. I am asking you if you believe that there is a connection between that person's deviant sexual behaviour and him being an atheists' and feminists' rights supporter? 

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:31

This is not true. It is known that such children grow up quite normal.

No, empirial studies show just the oppsite to what is claimed now. I will copy myself from another thread in which we touched over this issue.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6979& ; ; ;PN=1

Sure, in this case, the social dimension of a family is the best illustrative example of family's importance. To be precise, research on single parenting indicated earlier that separation or divorce only had short-term effects, more recent research suggests the effect can be more lasting.

For instance, researchers in Sweden observed between 1991 and 1998 for more than 65,000 children in single-parent households and more than 920,000 children in households with two parents.

After adjusting for other factors, children with a lone parent were found to be twice as likely to have a psychiatric disease compared to their two-parent counterparts. They were also at double the risk for suicide attempts and for alcohol-related diseases. The chances of drug abuse were three times as high among girls and four times as high among boys in single-parent households. Boys in single-parent households were more likely than girls to develop psychiatric and narcotics-related problems and were also more likely to die of any cause.

http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/511438.html

What are you trying to show us by those examples? I am an atheist and I support feminism. Do you claim that we are less moral than religious people?

To be precise, what examples?

D.J. Kaufman
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 17:54

Social and Scientific studies has shown that children can have a severe mental and growth imbalance with single-parent uprising.

This is not true. It is known that such children grow up quite normal.

What are you trying to show us by those examples? I am an atheist and I support feminism. Do you claim that we are less moral than religious people?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 15:04

the topic is discussing on Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban...

I just wondering... why the turks law is banning headscarf wearing?? are they denying  Islam practices and muslims right in carrying their obligation according to their faith? If the country is claiming tht they are practicising democracy policies and acknowledge human rights...then they shouldnt ban the headscarft wearing.. if they are denying ISlam's laws at least they should respect individual rights and it is the person choice to select wht he or she is going to wear in order to follow him or her religion demand... this is so strange...

For other people who is not a muslim... well headscarft wearing maybe not important for you guys... but me as a muslim.. to wear headscarft is a compulsory. in islam a woman must cover her hair from non family member or those men who she can be married to.. once u married to tht person.. thn feel free to do whtever u wish to...

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 14:01

To prevent all those problems Napoleon had a remedy "the child born of a married woman is son of the husband" (Napoleonic code). I have another: support lone mothers and end with that anachronism of traditional family. 

Napoleon was not the initiator of children of married couples to be named after their husband. Supporting the mother is not the answer because that support has to come from somewhere. If you enjoyed your sex with her or not, sorry you have to support her child as it is a product of you. Plus, it is not the fault of the mother to be a single-parent. Social and Scientific studies has shown that children can have a severe mental and growth imbalance with single-parent uprising.

If your wife wants to make love with me (this is a hypothetical case, of course, I only make love with people that I fall in love with - but I don't ask them their civil status anyhow), you may have objections but I don't see why I would have to worry. It is she who has to make her choices. It is her right.

Then I think it is easier and wise to marry a prostitute. She has no objections with you goofing around and she will support the family financially too.

I'm against speding a cent in supporting family. The only thing that must be supported is motherhood, so children do have a reasonable good enviroment to grow in and women are not forced to become their husbands' slaves on economic grounds. .

Wether you and me like it or not, women need an external support especially during their pregenancy period and recovery period and the time they spend with their children at early ages. If you are opposing spending a cent in supporting a family, then who is going to support them? Government? They need to tax you for that, so you are going to support them no matter what. Or maybe the husband? Yes, he has an obligation. This child does not only belongs to the mother and deserves a normal stable life.

I don't admire that - I reject it as I reject burka, but I do admire naturality in allowing diferent types of relationships without making big deal of that.

I think you missed the point here. The point is that if other cultures do it, it does not mean it is correct or it is a part of the culture that we shall stay nuetral about. If you are opposing Burka for women rights, I oppose sex out of marriage as it has been proven the case most of the time the husband will escape his obligation leaving the women valnurable to many difficulties. Also, why would I support a child that is not mine? We are not hamsters who only produce with only motherhood support. 

Don't worry, Nuptial fighter is much politer than a whimpy. Nuptial fight is when males go and fight during the breeding seasons of various animals. I just loved classifying you a nuptial fighter as you might wait for your breeding season and excercise your mother nature-given right of breeding around with various females at the same time

You're wrong about nude beaches, at least here. There are beaches where nudism is not allowed (something I dispute) and there are others where it is (but being clothed is also allowed, paradoxically).

Im not sure about Spain, but Portsmouth, England, sets an age requirement for entering a nudist beach..

I'll tell you one story about my great-grandma Maximina.

Funny story. For me, I would like to tell you also a story but not as peaceful and funny as yours.

Nudism is nothing but a blanket for social decay. If it wasnt to encourage it, at leasts it covers it. As far as I recall, the well-known American nudist Jonathan Tampico  was convicted of child molester. He is known to frequent nudist camps and to use the preaching of family nudism and whole body acceptance to victimize male children. He is not on the "Caution List" of the American Association for Nude Recreation (past American Sunbathing Association).

Also in 1992, Joseph Robert Wanner, 39 years old and a substitute elementary school teacher; pro-feminist member of a university women's action committee; naturist; and articulate defender of abortion, animal, atheist, and Native American rights, was arrested at his home in Kutztown, Pennsylvania. Mr. Wanner was charged with 14 counts of rape, 14 counts of statutory rape, 12 counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, 3 counts of corruption of minors, 19 counts of sexual abuse of children for the production and manufacturing of child pornography, 144 counts of child sex abuse for possession of child pornography, 17 counts of indecent assault, 6 counts of aggravated indecent assault, and 1 count of voluntary deviate sexual intercourse (with a cat).  

Copies of the police reports are available on http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/NudistHallofShame/Tampico.ht ml

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 05:09
To prevent all those problems Napoleon had a remedy "the child born of a married woman is son of the husband" (Napoleonic code). I have another: support lone mothers and end with that anachronism of traditional family. 

Anyhow, polyamory is a fact, I don't know why to waste energies in prosecuting it. I'm against speding a cent in supporting family. The only thing that must be supported is motherhood, so children do have a reasonable good enviroment to grow in and women are not forced to become their husbands' slaves on economic grounds.

Many cultures allow for a wife to be burned with her desceased husband. Does it mean we should watch it and admire that part of the culture and have an open mind about it???

You're wrong about nude beaches, at least here. There are beaches where nudism is not allowed (something I dispute) and there are others where it is (but being clothed is also allowed, paradoxically). No age requirement exists at all (though some old lascive men maybe should have their entrance forbidden, just maybe). As I said before female breast exposure in any kind of beaches is now a normal thing.

I'll tell you one story about my great-grandma Maximina. She was a traditional woman with a strong character. She used to go to the beach in her long and "very decent" underclothing and she also seemingly went hitting women in bikini with her cane saying them they were "shameless", etc.

She eventually got arrested, not for agression but for pulic scandal: for being dressed in underwear.

All this happened under the fundamentalist government of Franco.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 04:13

Well, I don't have any problem with well understood poliamory either. As you say well, ok,  it is a natural thing. There's nothing wrong about that, specially if there is consensus inside the couple on it (though some prefer not to know, I know). It's a complex matter anyhow but I won't be the one judging on such things.

If I understood you well, you are saying basically that you are fine with spouses having sex out of marraige?

The number one element in raising a healthy society is a healthy family. Otherwise, why governments are spending all that money in family support and dealing with high divorce rates.

Try to watch Jerrey Springer's show and see how pathetic it is filled with spouses who had sex out of marriage and got children who needs a DNA test and refusal of custody...etc   Or have you looked in the newspaper maybe and watched how many divorces are caused by cheating?

If you and your spouse are fine goofing around with other men and women, that is your choice, but try not to miss up with other people's spouses.

Anyhow, Islam condones poligynia, which is a machoist form of poliamory, why not poliandria or other imaginative variants?

I'm not sure what are you tring to say here. That Islam ignores or condones polygame?
no porque otras naciones hacen la poligynia, significa que tienen razón! (not because other nations do polygame, it means they are correct).

Many cultures allow diferent kind of marriages and love out of marriage. If we're going to be truly cosmopolitan and open-minded we can't judge such practices.

Siempre! Many cultures allow for a wife to be burned with her desceased husband. Does it mean we should watch it and admire that part of the culture and have an open mind about it???

You said that you would faint if you see an old lady naked. And I say you're truly a whimpy. It's not surely your fault but that of your education.

You can call me a whimpy and i can call you a nuptial figher. However, I think most of today's human being don't appreciate you walking nude in public. If you are proud of your nudity, find a proper place maybe.

What happens in Saudi Arabia: do they censor anthoropological documentaries when old (and young) people appear naked or almost? Not in my country luckily..

My sister studys nursing and they have seen even videos of male private organs. No sanction is imposed on educational and special-purpose films.

But you can also come to Europe and visit some beaches to see people of all ages taking the sun and bathing in complete nudity without anybody caring much about it. It's not mainstream but it's ok. And has nothing to do with sex, at least in the common restricted acception of the term. ..

Thank you for your European style invitation. I have been to Europe and nude beaches are seperate from public beaches. In fact, you have to be of a certain age in order to enter those nude beaches, which means it has a negative impact on immatures and children.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 02:45
Well, I don't have any problem with well understood poliamory either. As you say well, ok,  it is a natural thing. There's nothing wrong about that, specially if there is consensus inside the couple on it (though some prefer not to know, I know). It's a complex matter anyhow but I won't be the one judging on such things. Anyhow, Islam condones poligynia, which is a machoist form of poliamory, why not poliandria or other imaginative variants?

Many cultures allow diferent kind of marriages and love out of marriage. If we're going to be truly cosmopolitan and open-minded we can't judge such practices.

You said that you would faint if you see an old lady naked. And I say you're truly a whimpy. It's not surely your fault but that of your education. What happens in Saudi Arabia: do they censor anthoropological documentaries when old (and young) people appear naked or almost? Not in my country luckily. You only have to travel to Sudan to find peoples like the Dinga that live their lives in total nudity. Climate helps of course.

But you can also come to Europe and visit some beaches to see people of all ages taking the sun and bathing in complete nudity without anybody caring much about it. It's not mainstream but it's ok. And has nothing to do with sex, at least in the common restricted acception of the term.

I don't think that what makes us humans are our brains and restricting our urges: in fact, animals also restrict their urges, at least those that are social: the dominant male will take care that other males do limit their needs. This disciplinary process is in fact very animal and not truly human, as one of the characteristics of our human brain is the increased capability for communication, what makes social life a lot more pleasant and consensual activity, at least potentially.

Anyhow, there's nothing wrong in being animal, a least now and then, unless it happen that you are a violent beast, in which case, for the sake of the community, society will need to take disciplinary measures.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>