Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paris riots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paris riots
    Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 13:13
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Don't get too upset about this. Our friend sees the "evil hand of
the U.S." behind many things. And a lot of people in here think
Jews run the world (because someone told them they do, and after all
everyone knows it, etc.).....well that's enough of that. I doubt
too many people think this is a plot by foreign agents of the nasty, evil American
Zionist imperialistic hegemonists.

This is a French man made "hurricane Katrina."

Can't help it.

But if we have to look for conspiracy theories, why go abroad, when you can stay at home.
Who will profit from the whole affair most, once the whole thing is over, and the next elections come along?

If I were a cynic, which I ain't, I would say that facing a further slide into political oblivion, the French Far-Right came up with a really innovative marketing idea.
If I were.......

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 15:39
Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Komnenos

It defies belief how Anti-Semitism can still rears its ugly head in corners where you least expect it.

It defies belief as much as the ability of some people to see anti-Semitism where none existed.

Don't blame me for the over-reaction of my sub-conscious that twitches uncontrollably everytime the words "zionist" and "conspiracy" reach it.
It's probably our national collective memory, that reminds us that we have heard it all before.

It has nothing to do with anti-Semitism. USA and Israel are best friends and have many shared geopolitical interests. Among them is to cause a largely artificial "Clash of Civilizations" between the Muslim World and Europe, so they can keep manipulating both and justifying their own anti-Muslim anti-Semitism. Nowadays anti-Semitism has nothing to do with being anti-Jew, it's actually about being anti-Arab or anti-Muslim, in the broad cultural sense of the word (notice that Arabs are also "Semites" so I'm not misusing the term here).

I reckon that it is a little paranoid but with the Anglo-Saxon-Zionist bloc (USA, UK, Australia and Israel) leading clearly the international scene, there are some major reasons to be wary of whatever inccident that happens to increase tensions between the two major sociological communities of Western Eurasia. It may be accidental, it may be caused by other reasons that can't be ignored... but some specific things may well be caused by foreign provocators like those SAS agents that were captured loaded with bombs in Basra.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 17:08
Those riots in France were clearly spontaneously, they don't have a leader(ship). If it were one or two bomb attacks it would have been possible (though not likely) but it is impossible that either Israel or the US have mobilized all those people.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 17:36

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_i d=58&story_id=25151&name=Muslims+more+integrated+in+ US+than+France

Muslims more integrated in US than France

CHICAGO, Nov 8 (AFP) - While Arab Americans and Muslims suffered a spike in hate crimes after the September 11 attacks, they do not face the same level of disenfranchisement as their French counterparts, experts say.

"They're discriminated against but they have jobs -- this is the major difference from Europe," Yvonne Haddad, a professor of Islamic history at Georgetown University in Washington told AFP.

Arab and Muslim immigrants in the US generally identify themselves as Americans and integrate with relative ease into a society that prides itself on social mobility and has more tolerance for cultural and religious differences, Haddad said.

"To identify as French you have to renounce your

faith and have to renounce you previous identity as though your previous self didn't exist. In the US you don't have to," she said.

Arabs are a tiny minority in the United States, making up less than one percent of the population, according to the census bureau. They also constitute only about a quarter to a third of the country's Muslims, estimated at six million to seven million people or about two percent of the population.

Arab Americans and Muslims are better educated and have a higher income than the national average, said Edina Lekovic, communications director for the Muslim Public Affairs Council.

"There's no clear connection between the European and the American Muslim experience," she said, explaining that Muslims in the United States are less isolated and homogeneous than their European counterpart.

She cautioned against painting the riots as a religious issue rather than the result of economic and political disenfranchisement.

"This is the culmination of a series of events and it has very little or nothing to do with quote-unquote (Muslim) extremism," she said, noting that France has more Muslim-friendly foreign policy than the United States.

"French Muslims are not responding to the issues of Palestine or Iraq. They are responding to their domestic situation."

The real parallel to the French riots is the African-American race riots of the 1960s and following the Rodney King beating in Los Angeles, said James Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute.

"It's the act of an underclass with expectations that have gone unfulfilled for a long period of time striking out, out of a combination of despair and anger," he said in a telephone interview.

France and other European countries have maintained a national identity that is tied to ethnicity while the American identity has shifted over time as waves of immigrants reshape the country.

"As long as these kids grow up not only in an economic underclass but excluded from being French or Dutch it's problematic," Zogby said. "When people in my community get angry about American foreign policy they get angry as citizens and they fight back as citizens. The process is more open to including them."

Copyright AFP

Lord Pork View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Lord Pork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 17:56

like make it simple like it is....the Franch people don't disscremnat thier arbs or muslims.....beacuse who they are....but just beacuse they are in thier contry and macking more crime then the presntage of Franch people.....it's like this if someone come to live at your home...but he dosen't exept on him the rules of your house steels forks from the table and starting burning stuff at your house beacuse he feels that you don't treat him as a fool member of the house.....what would you do?

the problem that all the imegrants who imegrated from thier country like from north Africa beacuse they search a beeter life...witch neans that they were poor back in thier country....witch mean that they are not educated people who really can learn and understand the importants of the education of thier kids......and then beacuse of this there kids are also poor....and dum and resort to crime to make a living...and making big families beacuse they don't need to make a creer they don't have a job any why....and then don't have even money to send thier kids to school

and anyway thats macking circule of poor people imegrants that are a problmatic peoplation that the franch government and people need to care to.....

i think it's the tip of the isburg wich will end in a cluteral war bettwen the islam and chritians...hhh if war between china and the us will not come first

When the situation is obscure, attack !
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 18:48
Loknar: Muslims migrating to America, not just the USA but also Latin America, are middle class people with relatively high studes (as average). The Muslims coming to Europe are working class, sometimes without any studies (specially previous waves, they are more learned now). European Muslim inmigrants can compare with US Mexican or Haitian inmigrants, who I don't think are better integrated in the US than for instance in Spain.

Anyhow, we're talking about 2nd or 3rd generation people. They are not inmigrants. They are mostly working class people living in suburbs and unwilling to do the menial works that their parents used to do. They have high school, professional and even universitary degrees and speak French perfectly. They demand the same opportunities as the people of European origin. But much of the European (or French for the case) population don't see them as equals. This is a mjor problem of ghettization.

But that has happened before. In my city, the industrial and portuary type of city, many Spaniards used to come as inmigrants, they were often looked upon as foreigners but nowadays their descendants are relatively well integrated. Yet, if you go to certain poor districts and ask for surnames, you will see that most of them are either Castilian or Galician, not Basque. Now in the poorest neighbourhoods they're being displaced by this new wave of African (and some Asian) inmigrants. In the future some of these districts will be like those of Paris, full of descendandts of Moroccans, Guineans and Rumanians. It's just part of a process. Mass inmigration has never been easy to assimilate.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 23:20

Originally posted by Lord Pork

like make it simple like it is....the Franch people don't disscremnat thier arbs or muslims.....beacuse who they are....but just beacuse they are in thier contry and macking more crime then the presntage of Franch people.....it's like this if someone come to live at your home...but he dosen't exept on him the rules of your house steels forks from the table and starting burning stuff at your house beacuse he feels that you don't treat him as a fool member of the house.....what would you do?

Muslim French and African French are discrimanted with no doubt. If you are coming to work in France, yes you have to abide by the rules, but that doesn't mean you get treated differently and will less opportunities because of what you are or what you are doing. Also most of those angry people are second generation French citizens so, they are not recent immigrants.

Anyhow, The French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin has adimitted the existance of descrimination which all Amnesty reports and other organizations has been pointing to long time ago. Too late to realize for sure by the French:

From BBC Last Updated: Wednesday, 9 November 2005, 02:15 GMT
Headline: French riot police enforce curfew

Social improvements

The nightly protests have gripped deprived areas with large African and Arab communities where unemployment is rife and residents complain of racism and discrimination.

KEY FLASHPOINTS

Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin said on Tuesday the restoration of law and order in those suburbs would take time and hard work.

And he also outlined plans to improve opportunities for young people through jobs and education programmes and create an agency to combat racial discrimination.

"The republic is at a moment of truth," he said. "What is being questioned is the effectiveness of our integration model."

The unrest was first sparked by the deaths in the run-down Paris suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois of two youths, who were accidentally electrocuted at an electricity sub-station.

FRENCH RIOTS
One man killed
5,873 cars torched
1,500 people arrested
17 people sentenced
120 police and firefighters injured
Figures as of 8 November

Locals said they were being chased by the police, but the police deny this.

The new emergency powers handed to local authorities have been invoked under a 1955 law.

The law was originally passed to combat violence in Algeria in its war of independence against France from 1954-62. It was also used in New Caledonia in 1985.

This is the first time the law has been implemented in mainland France.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4419770.stm

Originally posted by Lord Pork

I think it's the tip of the isburg wich will end in a cluteral war bettwen the islam and chritians...hhh if war between china and the us will not come first

Clearly you are a promoter of the Clash of Civlizations. Again, this is a social unrest and not a religious war. All imigrants of north African and African descend are in that riot.

France either fix its policies as the French Prime Minister has noted, or it will face such riots which are by the way best way for theives and looters to engage and take advantage of that social unrest.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 01:43
And, as someone posted in the discussion page of Wikipedia, in pure French language, these people have not seen the interior of a mosque in their lifes. They are Muslim (some) only by background but for the rest they are normal French that don't care about religion more than I do. Only that their name may be Ali instead of Alain - and they don't want to change their names either. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 03:33
Look at the numbers on the damage in ok ge's post. Who's fault, these politicians or the people that elected them? Instead of protecting the country and the property that they were suppose to, they chose play political games.

You stomp these things early and talk about them later.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 04:59

Originally posted by cattus

Look at the numbers on the damage in ok ge's post. Who's fault, these politicians or the people that elected them? Instead of protecting the country and the property that they were suppose to, they chose play political games.

You stomp these things early and talk about them later.

Chirac is getting old, it took him 13 days to declare a curfew: the senile old man. Thankfully Sarkozy has one tough personality, you just need to see his focused eyes, the way he expresses himself: there is great strength in that man and he is France's hope. He isn't giving  one inch to the rioters despite all the criticism from the hippies and vandals.

I think it is better to confront the rioters head on rather than trying to settle the matter peacefully. Let all that bad blood surfaces , let the criminals express themselves so that their deeds can be exposed to the light for all good men to see. And we've seen, what more proof does the good men and women of France need?

There will be a good outcome out of these riots, either sarkozy or Le Pen will be propelled into power. A truly right wing government will come into power.

I used to think Bush was a moron, but now I'm not so sure, if I was american I would have definitely been a Republican.  I think I understand Bush now, he is simple man with a complex misison but he sure has one clear vision and for that I respect him.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 05:57

Hey guys !!! I live in Paris and the riots are nothing more than angry young arabs and africans in the suburbs burning their neighbourhoods' own cars.

Can you see the message in the gesture? They are trashing their own property, not in the inner city but on their own turf.

FYI, this happens every 10-15 years, right before elections... and by lord... next election is in 2007. This will calm down (i think) and fire up again just before the presidential first round. A great film called La Haine was made on this topic in the mid 1990's.

The second and third generation of french immigrants from the old colonies are poorly integrated and segregated against (on the labour market, can't really get housing in paris, they live in ghettos, unemployment...).

Please, Pork Lord, i ask you not to put in your 2$ sociological analysis of France... Please.

If you take a look at the schools in the french suburbs and in the inner city, there is no comparison... it is like this for everything, populations are being outcasted.

Cheers guys.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 09:29
Pork Lord wrote:
"the problem that all the imegrants who imegrated from thier country like from north Africa beacuse they search a beeter life...witch neans that they were poor back in thier country....witch mean that they are not educated people who really can learn and understand the importants of the education of thier kids......and then beacuse of this there kids are also poor....and dum and resort to crime to make a living..."

Wow, how long did it take for you to think up that theory? My background is from uneducated, dirt poor peasants in large families, searching for a better life just like you described. In one generation; im in a family where two out of three (not 13) kids have degree, one a pilot license, we all can get jobs (no  crime) and atleast for the greek (well actaully the migrant) story in Australia my family are typical.

It wasnt easy and you still get the odd peice of racism, but this place is a whole lot better than europe in regards to migrants. The difference is we are a part of the same society.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 09:40
I think the rioters are mainly spoiled kids of a too social country.

My friend from of Esatern Europe are shocked, they have free healthcare, access to schools and unis. Those French poor suburbs have (or maybe had) sport arena, social activities and so on.... the standard of living of an unemployed in those suburbs have a fairly decent standard of living compared to many other places in the world and enjoy a remarquable peace and safety. So yeah, I understand my friends from poorer countries are digusted at those riots.
Vae victis!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 09:44
Originally posted by Maju

European Muslim inmigrants can compare with US Mexican or Haitian
inmigrants, who I don't think are better integrated in the US than for
instance in Spain.

I can't speak for Haitians, but I would say that many Mexicans families integrate to U.S. society in about three generations. There are significant exceptions to the rule, especially in Southern California, Texas, and other states in the South West, but the general trend is for integration.

From what I hear, Muslim immigrants have much harder than how Mexicans have it in the U.S..
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 09:52

I had never liked the dominant class in France.

We Turks are also victims of the racist remarks uttered by French politicians everytime when The EU and Turkey get closer.

I am no sad for France.We all reap what we breed.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 11:24
Bottom line is that riots in France isnt a bright example of the alleged failed policy of multiculturism as some claimed these days, neither a muslim revolution in France as other rushed to label it and cannot even be counted as race riots. They are simply outcome of grievance and dissapointment from the marginalization and unemployement of people belonging in every ethnic group.

Edited by Aeolus
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 12:52

Originally posted by Exarchus

. Those French poor suburbs have (or maybe had) sport arena, social activities and so on.... the standard of living of an unemployed in those suburbs have a fairly decent standard of living compared to many other places in the world and enjoy a remarquable peace and safety. So yeah, I understand my friends from poorer countries are digusted at those riots.

Is this a common view in France? because if it is, that explains a lot of the racist mentality that is wide spread there. You are just simply saying that why are they complaining to the racism they face in France, unemployment, marginalization, ill-treatment by the police, opportunities shut down on their faces, poor education in their ghettos, all of that becasue if those second generation kids thought about where their parents came from or other poorer countries, it is much worse than France!! So praise the Lord that they are paid higher in France than in Algeria!!!

Seriously, why would they compare the sh*t they are in with other countries poorer than France? They are FRENCH and they will compare their treatment only to their fellow French men.

Originally posted by Aeolus

They are simply outcome of grievance and dissapointment from the marginalization and unemployement of people belonging in every ethnic group.

Well summerized. It is a social riot and uprising. Might be ugly but how many revolutions came with flowers and candies? This is a typical uprising.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:13
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

I had never liked the dominant class in France.

We Turks are also victims of the racist remarks uttered by French politicians everytime when The EU and Turkey get closer.

It's true that Turks are often victims of racism in Europe, but I don't think one could blame the dominant class for that. Apart from a few populist rightwing politicians almost all racists are from the lower classes.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:37
Originally posted by ok ge

Is this a common view in France? because if it is, that explains a lot of the racist mentality that is wide spread there. You are just simply saying that why are they complaining to the racism they face in France, unemployment, marginalization, ill-treatment by the police, opportunities shut down on their faces, poor education in their ghettos, all of that becasue if those second generation kids thought about where their parents came from or other poorer countries, it is much worse than France!! So praise the Lord that they are paid higher in France than in Algeria!!!

I think you are misinformed and uneducated on the issue, I've been in middle school in a ZEP. Zone with a special founding, and I managed to go out by being taken in a latin option that wasn't avaible in. So don't tell me about the miseducation, they have teachers and the middle and high schools in those area too and the schools are better funded, they are just trashed by their own pupills who make working in impossible. Their schools are fairly good, with modern gymnasium (sadly burned now).

The rioters have absolutly no excuses at all, they must not be bargained with, just calm them down one way or another. It's not the streets that are rioting, only bands of vandals, the largest part of them are suffering of this, who do you think they are burning the cars of? The Mercedes and BMW are not in their neightbourhoods, they burn their neightbours car, cheap and low quality cars people working in the suburbs bought.

As for the unemployment, they can create their own entreprises. Don't tell me it's not possible it is, think of Mecca Cola. They should have to rely on us to create job for them, we are not a socialist republic. There are examples of them succeeding. And for racism, the sword swing two ways mind you.

Edited by Exarchus
Vae victis!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:04

God bless unrestrained Capitalism......All for profit.No social justice,goverments who refuse deliberately to see people's misery.The right to work is A HUMAN RIGHT.It is not a matter of France only.It's a matter of Europe.And it is not only concern 2d or 3rd generation immigrants,but all poor people.Hunger my friends,is the worst form of violence.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>