Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paris riots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paris riots
    Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 17:13
Originally posted by Cywr

Modern democracy is 18th/19th century BC.

BC?

I meant AD of course

Edited by Mixcoatl
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 16:38
Modern democracy is 18th/19th century BC.

BC?

Has anyone got any link with what other ethnic or religious groups beside the N.African Blacks and Arabs Muslims are taking part in the riots??

Theres been mention of regular French kids taking part. bare in mind that much of the 'rioting' is just teenagers ziping around on scooters, torching stuff, and then zipping away again. Theres a lot of people joining in for kicks inevitably. Some of the 'rioiting' that apparently 'splled over' into Belgium, was actualy some extreme leftists throwing a molotov cocktail at some Flams Blok (extreme rightists) place, which isn't especialy related, but got swept in the whole' riots all over Europe' reporting vibe.

They are religious, but they twist islam in their own way.

It is my understanding that in France, just like in the Netherlands, Mosque attendance has been falling for a decade. The younger generation may identify with the religion as an identity within their society, but they aren't intrested in hanging around in mosques listening to older farts. Which is why stuff like that council issuing a fatwa is worthless, more intended for those groups to appear important and influencial as self-appointed community leaders in the eyes of the press and politicians than anything else.
Arrrgh!!"
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 08:23
Exarchus wrote:
"I would say living in a rich and develloped country like France, with a strong social protection and so on is no birthright."
Is that for all french born or just ones born with names like ali or mehmed? You seem to dismiss the issue of racism yet provide the best example of it.

I found a good arcticle on the BBC on the muslim minority
9.2% unemployment rate for people of French origin
14% unemployment for people of foreign origin (adjusted for education)
5% overall unemployment for university graduates
26.5% unemployment for "North African" university graduates

[It says such discrimination is particularly rife in the retail and hospitality industries - but also for jobs involving no contact with the public. 

"Some companies believe that to be responsible for marketing you must have roots in mainland France over several generations to understand the French consumer attitudes," according to a recent SOS Racisme report. 

"Doors are closed when you are an Arab," says Yazid Sabeg, a businessman and writer. 

For many young people, the first time they notice the closed door is when they try to go clubbing. 

"The first time the guy at the entrance says: 'You're not coming in', you accept it," says Nadir Dendoune, a journalist from lace>Saint-Denislace>

"But after two or three times, you go home carrying a bag of hatred on your shoulders." 

And when you can't find a job, Mr Dendoune adds, despondency turns to paranoia. 

"Every rejection - even those that may not be racially motivated - undermines your self-confidence. You feel you will never make it because you are Arab."]

As I was saying in a earlier post on this thread bad treatment breeds bad behavoiur. Even if the rioters are all arrested but the crap treatement continues, it most probably will happen again.

Edited by Leonidas
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 15:55
Update: riots in the center of Lyon despite the many police and the announced curfew.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4430540.stm

The trouble in Lyon began at about 1700 (1600 GMT) on Place Bellecour where a large number of riot police were on duty as a preventative measure.

About 50 youths attacked stalls and damaged vehicles, witnesses were quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

The strongest unrest yesterday night was reported in Lyon and Tolouse, while Paris is under a ban of any kind of meetings for all the weekend. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 08:21

We Turks have similar situation. In Istanbul there are a lot of kurdish suburban and unfortunately most of these people are drug dealers, burglars etc.

Where do those Kurds come from?

Hint: where did the 300k-1 million poor Kurdish peasants without any skills other than agriculture, whose villages were evacuated by the state during the PKK war go?

Turkish government knows very well to cope with this challengers.

Turkish government is the cause of the social problem in Turkey, not the Kurds.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 20:22
Put the blame on the Kurds, like if they are living in Turkey because if it's their wish. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:23
A short time ago, I watched a tv news-show on turkish tv. The subject is Paris riots and the announcer introduced a turkish guy who joined in the rioters as if a national hero. The guy proudly told us what he did. The editing of the show wants that we should get sympathy for him.

But...

We Turks have similar situation. In Istanbul there are a lot of kurdish suburban and unfortunately most of these people are drug dealers, burglars etc.

The turkish guy said that he is
unemployed person but most probably he is a guy who does illegal jobs. So I can understand french people. Sarkozy might be a fasist but he is right, the rioters are virus. Unemployed and culturally/socially unintegrated Turks in France should back to Turkey. Turkish government knows very well to cope with this challengers.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:56
Originally posted by Exarchus

As much as telling them to move out is out of proportion, I would say living in a rich and develloped country like France, with a strong social protection and so on is no birthright.

Actually it is birthright.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 07:19
Originally posted by Deng

Has anyone got any link with what other ethnic or religious groups beside the N.African Blacks and Arabs Muslims are taking part in the riots??

If the rioters are unhappy with French social system then perhaps they should go to a different EU state and search for a job or start their own business or if they don`t like Europe perhaps they should imigrate back to their ancestral countries. Dissapointment shouldnt be expressed by violence.

As much as telling them to move out is out of proportion, I would say living in a rich and develloped country like France, with a strong social protection and so on is no birthright.

@Amerniansurvival, I 100% agree (I'm agnostic myself, with atheist tendencies).
Vae victis!
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 06:26

Same thing with people who call themselves "Christian" and go to church when they have had plenty of pre-marital sex and drunken episodes. Every group has people like this.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 05:51

If the rioters are unhappy with French social system then perhaps they should go to a different EU state and search for a job or start their own business or if they don`t like Europe perhaps they should imigrate back to their ancestral countries. Dissapointment shouldnt be expressed by violence.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 05:37
Originally posted by Maju

They don't follow Islam. They just have (most) an Islamic cultural background but the rioters don't go to the mosque, at least most of them. They are as agnostic and irreligious as any other French or European. In this sense I think that they are well integrated. 

If only, I know one, who doesn't eat pork because of his religion. I say fair enough, it doesn't matter to me. But I had him at my gates completly drunk one night. So much for islam.

Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 05:34
Solving unemployment will not go through more social reform. We need an economic policy for once and not a social one. We are all hammered by taxes. If those people want employment, they shouldn't ask for more social, if they do so they didn't understand a damn thing, they first have to create their employments and not wait for the government to create them.
Vae victis!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 04:05

People who were expecting a revolution will be disapointed, and proven wrong.

I don't think anyone here expected a revolution more than just a social riot.

Also, the LCI poll is not a quiet great measurement to be taken seriously. I still recall LCI showing 52% for Yes to EU constitution on April 30th 2005, which proved wrong later.  Anyhow, I don't think the social riot will go beyod its current situation. Though the riot was unorganized and not clear in its demands, it defnitely woke up France to a painful reality whcih caused the establishment of anti-racism agencies, promises of social reform, and employment plan correction. A more honest approach to the public than pre-riot France

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 19:49
Originally posted by Loknar

Democracy and Republic are 5th century BC ideology.

Democracy meant something completely different in ancient Athens than it means know. Modern democracy is 18th/19th century BC.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 19:24
They don't follow Islam. They just have (most) an Islamic cultural background but the rioters don't go to the mosque, at least most of them. They are as agnostic and irreligious as any other French or European. In this sense I think that they are well integrated. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 19:08

I love it when people say "they follow Islam, a 6th century ideology,...." They feel a need to point out that Islam is 6th century (it was 7th century btw, but i usually see it as 6th century) when they want to insult it. But Christianity is a 1st century AD ideology. Democracy and Republic are 5th century BC ideology.

So, if you criticize Islam, dont throw out the "6th century" or "10t century because you only sound like an a**

Edited by Loknar
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 15:52
I have some good news, according to LCI poll around 80% of the French support more repression today. And the support for the police is at its highest including in the suburbs. Several people were arrested denounced by their neightbours (probably pissed at the violence) and 5 fires were prevented due to the population support.

Guard groups also formed to watch over sensible buildings in the suburbs like schools or gymnasium. Groups often formed of descendants of immigrants. With success they prevented assaults on those buildings.

People who were expecting a revolution will be disapointed, and proven wrong.
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 15:08
Originally posted by ok ge

That non sense was supported by articles, links, and sources. Even his claim that 20% of French practice racism was provided with his sources (not to say they are true, but at least sources are laid down). I haven't seen any single link in your posts that support your argument.

You post links, but can't read them, it was showed. Do you really believe 20% (or more precisely 16,86%, just google French presidential elections 2002) voted Le Pen because they are racists? I think that's a shameful simplification, we could put similar stereotypes on the whole muslim world because of the support OBL has and the amount of hate preachers we have to deal with (even in France). This is just a wrong conclusion, there is the whole economical context behind several people voted for him (I know that because I know some of them) only because they are severely pissed at the ambiant corporatism and corruption among the governments we had (forgetting the FN breaks all record of corruption).
Vae victis!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 14:45
Originally posted by Veritas

France has a muslim problem...."French youths" aren't burning the town down, people who have imported a 10th century religion are doing the deeds.

Check your history book. Islam was in Africa by the 8th century. Also, I remember African non-Muslims immigrants participating in that riot. It seems you havent' followed any news at all.

Originally posted by Veritas

France thought anyone who lived in France was "French".....maybe not.  Remember what one of the "clerics" recently said in Germany, "We are not going home.  We ARE home, and when allah wills it, the Germans will run from us.  Germany will be returned to Islam".

Yes, France thought that anyone of African descend who lived in France must accept normal treatment of a second class citizen. Calling for social reform is late by France but not too late though.

What is the relationship between an Imam in Germany (if it happens that he said that) and France? Next time, are you going to post an allegation that an Imam in Afghanisan called for a Jihad? You seem to mix religious causes and social causes. Anyhow, since you are talking about Germany, I would like to talk about FRANCE.

Serious violence committed in 2002:

Molotov cocktails thrown at the mosques of Mericourt (in the Pas-de-Calais region) and Chalons (in the Marne region), on April 25 and 27, and on March 24 against the Ecaudin mosque (in the Rhone region) ; a letter bomb was sent to an association seated at the Perpignan mosque (in the Pyrenees-Orientales), on April 9; an Islamic religious sculpture was profaned in Lyon, on April 24; attempted torching of a place of worship in Rillieux-la-Pape (Rhone), on December 27; anonymous tracts distributed during the presidential campaign [held in April 2002 which had set far-right racist candidate Jean-Marie Le Pen against incumbent president Chirac].

As for 2003, three facts can be pointed to: profaned tombs in the Haut-Rhin region in July, torching of a place of worship at Nancy, and profanation of an Islamic square in the Meuse region in March. These are only examples that, in the CNCDH's view, "fall well under the real number [of racist acts committed against Islam]", especially as far as verbal insults and lighter forms of violence is concerned.

Source: France's Commission nationale consultative des droits de l'homme (CNCDH --National Consultative Commission on Human Rights) http://www.commission-droits-homme.fr/anglais.htm

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>