Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romans vs Germans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romans vs Germans
    Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 15:52

Originally posted by HistoryGuy

That battle in 9AD was basically a massacre since the Romans didn't know how to fight in enclosed spaces. They only knew how to fight in open fields.

Enclosed spaces indeed didnt suit the way Romans fought, undermining formation and favouring individual prowess in combat, the legionary system was one of groups fighting as one, the Gallic/Germanic tribes put much more emphasis on individual ability.

The Roman system was far better in the open that much is true, but that doesnt mean to say they couldnt fight in the dense woodland of Germany at all, take the campaigns of Germanicus in the early 1st century AD, his victories greatly made up for the annihilation of Varus' column.

As a general rule ambush (to infantry based armies especially) puts all be they Germanic or Roman to a great disadvantage, the tribes the Romans fought would of been cut to pieces or fled just as easily had they been cramped into a tight space and had the Romans closing in on them from all sides. Enclosed spaces could benefit the Romans as much as the tribes if planned properly, as the Romans tended to be on the offensive between the Rhine and Elbe it meant the Germanics had more chance of laying an ambush in the first place.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 06:50
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Socrates

A good source for this appears to be
"Germania" by Tacitus...some interesting observations made by Tacitus
about Germans.Appearently,Grmans used to laugh at the size of Roman
soldiers(maybe this is not Tacitus).Two more very inter. things-when
germans got drunk,they didn't quarell with eachother like Romans
did-they wouldoften kill eachother without prior argument;this is
nice-they seemed to care more for their women then men-Romansknew
that and used itconstantly-they kidnapped their women and
blackmail their husbands-poor sods did everything requested;but when
romans kidnapped one of rheir male relatives,they didn't give a
dime-"kill him,so what?"...

Anyone hereread Germania...?

I haven't read it, but about the height thing archaeological evidence
suggests that the Germans had an average height of just two inches more
than the Romans.

First of all, I would like to point out again, that calling the deadly enemies of the Roman Empire "Germans" is something of a historical fallacy, as that term in English is reserved for the inhabitants of a country that came in existence much later than the first centuries AD. It's like calling the Ancient Romans "Italians".
Either one uses the latin term "Germani", or if writing in English one should be more precise.
The probably more correct term for the people that massacred Varus and his legions is "West-Germanic tribes".
It works in the German language, as there is a difference between "Germanisch" und "Deutsch", but in English it's a bit confusing.

Secondly, I think the physical stature of the "Germani" is somewhat exaggerated, first by the Roman historians who, for propaganda purposes, had the tendency to overplay size and strength of their enemies, and later by German nationalist historians in the 19th century, who created an idealised vision of the Germanic warrior as a giant, blond and blue eyed figure, which then of course served as model for the alleged "Aryan super-race".

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 23:54
Originally posted by Socrates

A good source for this appears to be "Germania" by Tacitus...some interesting observations made by Tacitus about Germans.Appearently,Grmans used to laugh at the size of Roman soldiers(maybe this is not Tacitus).Two more very inter. things-when germans got drunk,they didn't quarell with eachother like Romans did-they would often kill eachother without prior argument;this is nice-they seemed to care more for their women then men-Romans knew that and used it constantly-they kidnapped their women and blackmail their husbands-poor sods did everything requested;but when romans kidnapped one of rheir male relatives,they didn't give a dime-"kill him,so what?"...

Anyone here read Germania...?

I haven't read it, but about the height thing archaeological evidence suggests that the Germans had an average height of just two inches more than the Romans.
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 18:20
That battle in 9AD was basically a massacre since the Romans didn't know how to fight in enclosed spaces. They only knew how to fight in open fields.
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 03:41

A good source for this appears to be "Germania" by Tacitus...some interesting observations made by Tacitus about Germans.Appearently,Grmans used to laugh at the size of Roman soldiers(maybe this is not Tacitus).Two more very inter. things-when germans got drunk,they didn't quarell with eachother like Romans did-they would often kill eachother without prior argument;this is nice-they seemed to care more for their women then men-Romans knew that and used it constantly-they kidnapped their women and blackmail their husbands-poor sods did everything requested;but when romans kidnapped one of rheir male relatives,they didn't give a dime-"kill him,so what?"...

Anyone here read Germania...?

Edited by Socrates
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 00:31

the whole roman vs germans thing reminds me of two things.

1) how the romans lost every battle against hte greeks who had settled italy, yet still won the war.

2) how the USA won every battle during vietnam and still lost the war.

the romans suffered the same thing, they won every battle but in the end, they could not replenish their troops while the germans kept coming back for more. over and over again the romans lost troops they couldnt replace, much like sparta duing their war with thebes (which they lost and were obliterated basically).  in the end, it all came down to numbers.

mars View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 16:39
Originally posted by Kafkazli

if we'll mention, we'll see that, the battles that Rome fouht, they lost very few men, and battles that they lost, they lost almost all the men

This was no strange here, in the ancient battle, most of soldiers were killed in the one-side slaughter after line of his side was broken , as Romans always said "whatever odds you faces, if you could manage to hold your line, face the enemy with weapon in hand, you will be safe"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 19:16

And also, it was not easy for Rome to capture

It was not easy for legion to fight against celt which holds 3 times bigger sword in his hands

I would say, it was Roman discipline and experience that won battles

if we'll mention, we'll see that, the battles that Rome fouht, they lost very few men, and battles that they lost, they lost almost all the men

That give us a key word-unexperienced generals or wrong tactical choise

Why Romans could not win Hannibal in Cannae, but They could do it in Zama???

Becouse Scippio chosed better tactics that those 2 legats did (sorry i forgot the name)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 19:12

I would vote for Romans

If Germans could make such army as Rome did, then they could also be the best.

In fact, if any enemy of Roman Empire was weak and had not such army, it is their fault, if they had a good army, then Rome was not THE BEST

am i right?

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 20:54
I guess that was a time when they screwed up badly. 

As was mentioned earlier, battles like Cannae are famous because they were rare battles in which Romans screwed up really badly.

The Romans won most of their battles against Barbarians until near the end of the Empire.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 20:48
< ="text/">ZwXxso(1,"var SymTmpWinOpen = window.open; window.open = SymWinOpen; ZwXTimeout('enableDesignMode()', 20);; window.open = SymTmpWinOpen;");
Originally posted by Praetorian

"The Romans. They had discipline, the Germans did not. The Germans were fierce individual fighters, the Romans were fierce group fighters. Obviously, in massed numbers, the side that fights as a group will triumph over the side that does not.

The Romans only really lost when they faced insuperable odds or screwed up badly, like in Teutoberg. Varus was an idiot.

What about the slaughtering of 50,000 Romans in Cannae by Hannibal?

Genghis_Kan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Genghis_Kan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 18:52
I think the Romans and the Germans ar quite evenly handed. The Romans have discipline,ar well armoured, highly trained and fight in formations. On the hand, the Germans ar aggressive, have high mobility, good fighters. However, if the Romans fight tactically, they should beat the Germans.
Drusus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Drusus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 22:48
I wouldn't go so far to say that the Romans mostly thrashed the Germans by
just looking at the figures of dead in each battle. I agree that the Romans
were greater but often these battles were closer than statistics suggest.
Most casualties in Ancient battles actually came from the killing of soldiers
who were routing.

Oh and I think the reason the Romans were so successful in these battles
was because the legions were successful in spite of their generals, not
becasue of them. I know that there are many examples of grat generals who
led their troops to victory, but many times the romans won in spite of
medicore leadership and this was, I think one of the reasons for success.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 14:08
Originally posted by Komnenos

Never heard this story, could you please give a bit more detail.

for futher informations please kontact  www.varusschlacht.de

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 13:09

Originally posted by Heraclius

This guy just doesnt know when to quit

Well, you really must admire his tenacity. A lesser man in his situation would have just broken down and become more open-minded.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 11:46
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

. but latest excravations at kalriese ,the
place it happens ,shown that there were no german countrymen ,who beat
the romans , but well trained germans in roman uniforms.

Never heard this story, could you please give a bit more detail.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 10:39
 This guy just doesnt know when to quit
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 01:41
Originally posted by Bayazit

I think everybody says that Rome was the best-just becouse In fact in the world, if u ganna gather all the Ancient History books, half of them will be books which were dedicated to Rome, and even 1% will not be about Scythians, Sarmatians, Numidians, Goths and so on.

That is the main reason.

But nobody thinks that the was German states too, which fought and defated plenty of roman legioners, and died for their IDEA.

I do not wanna say that Romans were best, becouse they were not, they just were one of the best, that is it

Thanks again, Janissary.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 23:25

I think everybody says that Rome was the best-just becouse In fact in the world, if u ganna gather all the Ancient History books, half of them will be books which were dedicated to Rome, and even 1% will not be about Scythians, Sarmatians, Numidians, Goths and so on.

That is the main reason.

But nobody thinks that the was German states too, which fought and defated plenty of roman legioners, and died for their IDEA.

I do not wanna say that Romans were best, becouse they were not, they just were one of the best, that is it

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 23:45
This is true. Anti-Romans alway raise the arguments of such catastrophic defeats like Carrhae, Adrianople, and perhaps a couple of dozen more. On the other hand, there are hundreds of battles in which the Romans defeated the enemy as badly, or even more badly, as they lost in these few defeats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>