Print Page | Close Window

Romans vs Germans

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6028
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 21:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Romans vs Germans
Posted By: Argentum Draconis
Subject: Romans vs Germans
Date Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 12:58
Who had the upper hand?

Replies:
Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 13:36

For the vast majority of the time the Romans had the upper hand, there was the disaster at the Teutoburg in 9AD but in a pitched battle the Roman legions could smash almost any force in the known the world and the Germanic tribes atleast for awhile were not the most difficult army to face.

During the crisis of the 3rd century when the Roman empire was collapsing coordinated invasions from the Goths, Vandals, Franks, Alemanni and many many more tribes still couldnt break the Romans and at the Battle of Naissus in September 268 a massive army of Goths was annihilated.

At the same time when the Roman army was smashing the Goths at Naissus the Alemanni the big threat to the west had occupied parts of northern Italy, however at the lake Benacus in November 268 the Emperor Claudius II Gothicus with some 35,000 men crushed an Alemanni force of 100,000 leaving half of them dead of captured and the rest running for their lives.

Soon the Roman empire was reunited and the Germanic tribes expelled from imperial territory. A sure sign that the Roman empire was far from dead and was more than capable of resisting the barbarian threat.

The Germanic threat then dwindled for some time and although invasions still occurred it didnt reach the chronic levels of the 3rd century again until the late 4th century when the eastern Roman armies were smashed at Adrianople in 378 by the Goths, not long after that the western empire began to seriously unravel and the tribes simply could not be held back any longer.  

So army V army in a pitched battle the Romans were highly likely to win, if however there was incompetance in the leadership of the Roman army like at Adrianople then the Germanics could take advantage of it and their often superior numbers began to tell as the Imperial army rushed from one crisis point to another.

Many successes of the Germanics coincided with internal chaos for the Roman empire which the Germanics exploited, civil wars, corruption and the decaying of the Imperial army meant it was eventually unable to hold the frontiers on a regular basis and the empire fell away as the tribes were pushed westward by the seemingly unstoppable Huns and the frontiers collapsed, the pressure on the empire was then irresistable and destruction was inevitable for the west.

The general rule is I think that a well led Roman army would probably defeat anything the Germanics could throw at them, a good example is the Roman/Byzantine reconquests in which the Vandals and Ostrogoths were defeated by small but extremely well led Roman armies. There are also many examples of superior Roman tactics overcoming Germanic numerical superiority, however as the Roman army slowly decayed the Germanic army advanced and the balance was broken.

I still strongly believe however that the Roman legions were superior to the the Germanic armies and that view is justified in the various examples ive pointed out, even when in dire crisis the Romans were able to defeat and expel the Germans. Also had the Germans been superior the Roman empire would surely not have survived as long as it did.

Even though the Germans obviously contributed the collapse of the empire the internal decay was far more serious than the common invasions from across the Danube and Rhine. They only added to the chaos the empire was already in and eventually helped tip the balance and the empire was unable to recover.

The last century or so of general German superiority was one out of 4 or 5 centuries of general Roman dominance.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Abyssmal Fiend
Date Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 16:33
The Romans. They had discipline, the Germans did not. The Germans were fierce individual fighters, the Romans were fierce group fighters. Obviously, in massed numbers, the side that fights as a group will triumph over the side that does not.

The Romans only really lost when they faced insuperable odds or screwed up badly, like in Teutoberg. Varus was an idiot.

-------------

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 19:41
One interesting point I want to raise about the Byzantine reconquest is that Germanic armies had changed since the days of the Great Migrations. I read a particularly intersting work by R. W. Koch which claims that one of the greatest assets of Germanic armies early on was that they were an organic unit that had strong blood and tribal ties. Because of this, their solidarity in battle was vastly enhanced. When they settled down in North Africa  and Italy, they were forming armies of huge levies who were only united by genetic stock and not so much family ties any longer. This consequently weakened their battlefield morale and solidarity.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 20:34

I did wonder why the *tribes* if they could even be called that by the time of the reconquests, seemed to be far less effective as they used to be, against Byzantine armies which quite frankly left alot to be desired if im honest. Ruthless largely uncivilised mercenaries as likely to attack their own commanders than the enemy they had come to defeat.

Also the numbers seem to have vastly decreased i'm more familiar to seeing Germanic tribes having armies of 100,000 men in the field, obviously the tribes where no longer on the move and had settled but still the size of the armies Belisarius faced in North Africa for example were pretty small, I mean Belisarius only had 15,000 men when he landed in Africa.

Had the warrior culture which had so characterised the Germanic tribes deteriorated so fast and so considerably? I wonder was the Vandal army for example made up of a mixed blooded force of Vandal-Libyan troops and that the culture the Vandals had come into contact to greatly diluted there own to the point were Vandal males were more likely to be merchants or something like that instead of the fierce warriors of days gone by? I mean it was only 75 years or so before when they had sacked Rome under Geiseric.

Probably miles off but I find it odd how the Vandals who were once a ferocious germanic tribe were defeated by a pretty hit and miss Byzantine army.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 20:45

Well one thing that needs to be considered when looking at the numbers is the Ostrogoths could naturally field more men in the days when they were on the march. "Wherever I might roam, where I lay my head is home", and how true it was for them. Either they stick together, travel together and above all fight together, or else they die. When they took over Italy things suddenly changed, because now they had land to til, towns and cities to guard, and borders to defend. Not only that, but they also had a navy with dozens of ships (though much of this was manned by local Italians). All this used up thousands of men, so much that Belisarius' impending invasion made the Ostrogoths realize they had conquered a territory which they lacked the manpower to hold. They ceded Provence to the Franks simply because they didn't have the men to hold it.

I wouldn't say their numbers were all that much different from the time they were rampaging around, Vitigis was still able to muster a force of 80,000 men to besiege Belisarius at Rome. But overall settlement meant using men to defend the lands that had been taken, migratory mentality and pressures no longer applied and so men were less willing to serve as they had been in hard times of the migrations.

-------------

Posted By: Janissary
Date Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 21:00
GERMANS

-------------

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 09:16
Janissary,please stop trolling. If you have an insightful comment, please accompany it by a full explanation.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Posted By: Praetorian
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 19:42

"The Romans. They had discipline, the Germans did not. The Germans were fierce individual fighters, the Romans were fierce group fighters. Obviously, in massed numbers, the side that fights as a group will triumph over the side that does not.

The Romans only really lost when they faced insuperable odds or screwed up badly, like in Teutoberg. Varus was an idiot."

True.... 

I say Romans. Because the Romans conquered the know world, and they had the longest Empire in history. The Romans also had the most organized army on Earth, dude a average Roman soldier can mach 20 to 25 mils in 5 or 6 hours. They even Fought big bad battles like 40,000 Romans VS 255,000 others the Romans bin known to win.

They also Romanized Europe and influents the world we live in. I mean (correct me if Im wrong, politely ) the Germans at one point in history saw them selves as Romans and named there ruler Kaiser meanig Caesar, and help build the Holy Roman Empire.

-------------
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 02:20
Originally posted by Praetorian

They also Romanized Europe and influents the world we live in. I mean (correct me if Im wrong, politely ) the Germans at one point in history saw them selves as Romans and named there ruler Kaiser meanig Caesar,and help build the Holy Roman Empire.

As you asked so nicely, to be corrected.
I don't think we can get so far as to state that the Germans understood themselves to be Roman, in the sense that it would define an ethnicity.
Before Charlemagne, most of the Germanic kingdoms that popped up everywhere in Europe and Africa, made a point of seperating themselves from the indigenous population that they had conquered, by outlawing interrmarriage for example.
The title that Charlemagne adopted, "imperator romanum gubernans imperium", refered more to the concept of the Roman Empire as a unified and centralised state, than to the Romans as an ethnic group. The Franks had realised the cultural superiority of the lost West-Roman Empire, but continued to see themselves as Germanic, being its heirs by becoming the dominating force in Western-Europe.
As discussed many times on AE, Charlemagne himself, having conquered most of the Western-European half of the former Roman Empire, including Italy, probably understood himself as the rightful successor to the vacant West-Roman throne.
In the 16th century to the official title "Holy Roman Empire" the suffix "of the German Nation" was added, possibly recognising political realities, or because the idea of nationhood began to dawn.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 15:27

I believe Roman success had more to do with excellent leadership rather than superior troops. The list of great Roman generals is unending, Ceasar, Pompey, Lucullus, Aetius, Scipio, Belisarius, and Narses just to name a few. No matter how disciplined a force is, unless it is well led it will be defeated. This can be seen in various Roman disasters like Cannae, Carrhae, Teutoburg, and Adrianople, where the Roman command was not competent enough, or simply made too many mistakes, though in a battle, one mistake is already too much.

In a muscle to muscle confrontation, the barbarians would simply have overpowered the Romans. They were physically more hardy and possessed superior numbers. It was Roman tactics that won the day, not just the legionnaires.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 16:24

The Roman army was no braver than its enemies, when the Romans appear to have been more courageous over a longer period of time its almost certainly due to their training and self-confidence.

It seems biased to say many of the great Roman defeats were due to incompetance of leadership than the army itself, however when you look at these heavy defeats as Belisarius points out you can see major problems with the commanders in those battles.

Varro (Cannae), Crassus (Carrhae), Valens (Adrianople) and Varus (Teutoburg forest).

None of them appear to have been skilled commanders, in the hands of a Trajan or Aetius or indeed Belisarius those same Roman armies that were crushed would almost certainly not of been. If the commander is poor then even the great army can be annihilated.

I personally feel its a grave injustice how Roman defeats are infinitely more famous than its victories.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 16:57
Let's ask ourselves how it was that Rome ensured such brilliant men led her armies. I think this is the product of the Roman political system itself, in the Republican period ambitious men had to achieve results to get anywhere in the Roman political scene. The Empire itself always showed itself capable of great social mobility and one of the best ways again was via military success.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 18:38

o yeah, Crassus was the worth general

U know what?????

When u guys, western guys, when Rome or any other western or European states won the war, u always will say thet, sure, this battle was theirs, there is no problem with other side, Romans were powerfull and that is why they won

But when Rome loses, u ganna say that, well, The commonders were weak, or there was no discipline in that army, or something else that will try to cover "your" lost

Am I not right?????

Did I wrote any nationalist ideas here????-NO

Becouse that is reality, Because there was 300 senators in Roman Senate, and Each of them had their own mass, and each of them were elected twice and had to fought one major battle in order to be Consu!!!

I think, Crassus was not weak, but Parthians were stronger, But Suren was Smarter, ok?????

What u ganna say now???

Suren was Iranian, not Turkish

I know, u ganna close this topic tooo

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 18:39

Is that so Hard Morally to Accept That????????

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 23:51
Who is this gentleman? I had noticed him one month ago. Is he a new arrival?

When I posted my comment, I made sure to include in the words 'I believe' in the begining. This is to make certain my point was only a theory, nothing absolute, and of course open to discussion. You're more than welcome to disagree. Nothing moral about it.

Surely, the Parthians were the greatest rival the Romans had, the Sassanids even more so. However, Crassus was not a capable Roman general. He was a businessman. His only military experience before Carrhae was against the slave rebellion of Spartakus, to whom he lost several times. I'm sure the Persians had their own share of military geniuses. They were a true superpower of the time. However, if they were stronger than the Romans, then why were they unable to take and hold Roman territory?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 00:10

Becouse they were not stronger

But Rome was not stronger that Pathia toooo

And also, Do u know the tactics that Crassus used to defeat Spartacus?

Did u read Chavanyoli-Spartacus?

Crassus was not a businessman, He was a I consul, II businessman

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 00:11

I am Gentleman

hm

thank u

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 00:50
Well what makes an empire stronger than another? My opinion is that the amount of resources an empire possesses makes it stronger than another. The Roman Empire was wealthy, possessing more fertile and resource-rich land, as well as having more people. I have read that the Sassanid Empire at its height had only about 12-15 million people compared to 60 million living in the Roman Empire. Population means manpower, and theoretically Rome could field much more men. Their wealth would assure than these men recieve proper training and equipment as well.

The reason why the Romans could not hold Mesopotamia for long was because it risked overextending itself. On the other hand, ruling over the Levant, Anatolia, and Egypt would have been much easier for the Persians since these lands were in much closer proximity to their heartland.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 03:08
Originally posted by Janissary

o yeah, Crassus was the worth general

U know what?????

When u guys, western guys, when Rome or any other western or European states won the war, u always will say thet, sure, this battle was theirs, there is no problem with other side, Romans were powerfull and that is why they won

But when Rome loses, u ganna say that, well, The commonders were weak, or there was no discipline in that army, or something else that will try to cover "your" lost

Am I not right?????

Did I wrote any nationalist ideas here????-NO

Becouse that is reality, Because there was 300 senators in Roman Senate, and Each of them had their own mass, and each of them were elected twice and had to fought one major battle in order to be Consu!!!

I think, Crassus was not weak, but Parthians were stronger, But Suren was Smarter, ok?????

What u ganna say now???

Suren was Iranian, not Turkish

I know, u ganna close this topic tooo

Settle down dude, no one is having a go at anyone else. Rome succeeded for a variety of factors, the fact that they promoted commanders by merit and experience being an important one.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 05:45

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Rome succeeded for a variety of factors,

I find it surprising that no-one has so far pointed to the fact that Rome's political system (Republic in the beginning) helped legitimize its power and also the drafting of recruits. A government for the people (if not by the people) can exert power and inflate nationalistic tendencies much easier than an emperor can.

I doubt any empire/emperor could survive devastating defeats as the Romans did at the hands of Hannibal. Yet Rome could field one army after another, by exerting exactly its legitimacy in the eyes of the people.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 10:16

Yeah, at leas, u got a little my point. At least u got that There was states stronger that Rome in its time, at least u got that each empire is strong when it is wealthy. And I am not talking about Sassanis, and also, durin Sassanid they had about 20-30 million population, becouse the most populated part of world was China and Mesopotamamia, And during Parthia too, But at least, thatnk u, u accepted that There was a time that Parthia was better that Rome, and Carthage too, and Huns tooo,

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 10:32

Nobody has tried to make out that the Romans were superior right throughout their history, at one time it was defeated by the Gauls and Rome itself was captured, there was a time when Rome had no decent navy and Carthage ruled the seas, there were times when Greek armies could dominate the legion on the battlefield. Pyrrhus of Epirus for example.

Rome over time adapted, overcame and conquered the Gauls, destroyed Carthages navy and eventually the Carthaginian empire, survived Pyrrhus captured the Greek territories in south Italy and eventually conquered Macedonia and ruled the Greeks overall. Then onto the Diodochi in the east Selceucia being the biggest.

The relationship between Parthia and then the Sassinids and Rome was one of fluctuating fortunes, a civil war for example could give the Parthians a great oppounity to raid Imperial territory and loot a few cities before the imperial army could return. The same the way when a poor ruler or weakened Parthia was about Rome could avenge the earlier raids by weakening its ancient foe further perhaps sacking the Parthian capital again and setting up puppet kings as a buffer.

The difference is between Rome and the Parthians it the Parthians never threatened the existance of the Roman empire, they could raid and at times conquer territory such as Armenia, parts of Syria, Mesopotamia the Holyland etc. But the imperial armies would then return and either drive the Parthians out or the Parthians would withdraw rather than give battle.

Never did the Parthians have a chance of actually conquering the Roman empire, the Roman armies were to big and powerful, its population much much larger than the Parthians and then Sassinids controlled, Rome was also fantastically wealthy. It could afford to replace armies it had the population to do it and the funds to pay for it.

The Huns were a flash in the pan when it comes to Rome, they looted alot of cities and territory defeated alot of Barbarians and had its confrontations with Rome. Rome had had this for centuries already anyway, during the crisis of the 3rd century things were much much worse, by the time the Huns arrived the western Roman empire was as good as doomed anyway. But the Hunnic empire collapsed and were actually then used by the same empire they had once fought against, as mercenaries, the Byzantine empire used Huns in its mercenary forces in the North African campaigns and in Italy.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 11:23
It was never the intention of the Parthians or the Sassanids to conquer the whole Roman Empire. I am not sure about the Parthians' goals but the Sassanids wanted to restore the borders of the old Achaemenid Empire. The Sassanids were a serious contender for the rule of the eastern provinces.

Really, it is all about leadership. Both empires had their share of capable rulers, but it was the Sassanids that were unable to produce a continuous line of capable rulers. The Romans, with their much better resources, could stand to bear with a few incompetent emperors, but not the Sassanids.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 11:57

The Parthians goals appear to have been little more than raiding Roman territory, obviously they knew their own limitations which is always a good thing. The Sassanids were a real menace in the east and definately a threat to likes of Asia Minor and Syria and more, the Sassinids took over at the perfect time, the Roman empire was on the verge of entering the most traumatic time in its history the crisis of the 3rd century, seeing the Roman empire almost collapse. The Roman empire then and after was almost constantly in civil war, economic crisis and suffering from massive barbarian invasions as the decline of the army increased more and more.

Your right Belisarius about the Sassanids wish to restore the empire back to where it was under the Achaemenid empire.

"Shapur King of Kings, brother of the sun and moon, sends salutation. Your own authors are witness that the entire territory within the river Strymon and the borders of Macedon was once held by my forefathers; were I require you to restore all this, it would not become ill of me... but because I take delight in moderation I shall be content to recieve Mesopotamia and Armenia"

A letter from obviously King Shapur to the then Emperor Constantius in 360 I believe, suffice to say Constantius did not hand over any territory to Shapur. However it clearly shows the intentions of the Sassanids to reclaim territory they believed to be rightfully theirs. Undoubtedly Armenia and Mesopotamia would have been used to launch campaigns into Roman territory in the future making this *reconquest* a far more realistic goal.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 22:16

And do not forget the 260 year battle, when Valerian laid under knees of Persian King and felt sorry for Atacking Sassanid empire

And remember Attila, crossing Po River, meeting Pop Leo and returning back without destroyong Rome in 452.

So, There was times that Sassanids made Empire bigger thatn Rome, or Arabians, maybe 1.5 times bigger, or Gokturks, may be 2 times bigger and Chinese TAN, may be 2 tuimes beggier and 2 times stronger than Rome

That is why I prefer Germans

But, Heraclius, I liked your 1 word-That Romans were not better in Courage than Garmans!!!

Good Spoken

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 03:09
Originally posted by Janissary

And do not forget the 260 year battle, when Valerian laid under knees of Persian King and felt sorry for Atacking Sassanid empire

And remember Attila, crossing Po River, meeting Pop Leo and returning back without destroyong Rome in 452.

So, There was times that Sassanids made Empire bigger thatn Rome, or Arabians, maybe 1.5 times bigger, or Gokturks, may be 2 times bigger and Chinese TAN, may be 2 tuimes beggier and 2 times stronger than Rome

That is why I prefer Germans

But, Heraclius, I liked your 1 word-That Romans were not better in Courage than Garmans!!!

Good Spoken

To be honest I completely dismiss any theory that Attila could have taken Rome even if he did march on it in 452.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:37

The size of an empire isnt always particularly relevant, the Roman empire was big enough, it had no need to extend its territory, it had everything what else was there to gain? it was incredibly rich, had a large population, it had many natural frontiers which could be easily defended if adequately guarded.

All that would of happened is the Roman empire would have had to pay a fortune to conquer new territory, occupy it with legions, hold it and begin the process of romanization for little to no gain.

Being a Roman obviously doesnt make you more courageous just because your a Roman. However the vastly superior training, discipline and equipment gave the legionary supreme confidence that he would prevail against any and all enemies.

The Germans were incredibly brave, but often lacked organisation this largely negated the fact that the Germans were excellent individual fighters, because they were charging into a mass of legionaries who were trained to cut them to pieces and more often than not, did just that.

The legions could defeat Germanic armies of 100,000 or more and only lose a couple of thousands themselves. That says something about how deadly a force the Roman legion could be.

It took centuries for the Germans to get the upper hand on Rome, by then Rome was way WAY past its best.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 21:32

Yeah, off cource, u will have no any information about it

Ok, Heraclius, Tell me The name of the battle That was More Than against 100 000 germans and Rome lost less than a thousand

Thell me The general that fought that battle, please

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:43
I have the perfect example of such an event. It is known as the Battle of Vercellae, fought in 101 BCE. This battle between the Roman Republic and the Germanic Cimbri was fought in Cisalpine, Gaul. The Cimbri numbered over 200,000 while the Romans had about 50,000 men under Gaius Marius. The Romans won a spectacular victory, killing 140,000 and taking the rest prisoner, all the while losing less than a thousand men.

There is another such event fought in Gaul in the previous year, 102 BCE, known as the Battle of Aquae Sextiae. In this battle, 110,000 Teutones faced about 40,000 Romans under Gaius Marius once more. This too was a spectacular victory with 90,000 Teutones killed, and the rest captured. The Romans lost less than a thousand men.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:56

Carrhae:

30000 romans killed including 10 000 preatorian

10000 were sent to captivity

Less than 500 Parthians died

But, i am ok/

Give me a link, I wanna learn about those battles

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:58
Sure! Always happy to direct a fellow history buff to the wonders of Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aquae_Sextiae

and...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vercellae

However, I see we are back to the Persians vs the Romans. Let me ask you this. How many times did the Romans and Byzantines capture Ctesiphon? From that I ask how many times did the Persians capture Rome? How many times did they capture Constantinople?

Ctesiphon was captured by Roman or Byzantine forces five times. Rome and Constantinople... zero.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 00:10

I am not Persian

Turkish Captured your Canstantionople and just ince, untill today

How many Byzans Armies was became martyrs Becouse of Arabs, Sassanids, Khazars, Avars, Bulgars, Slavians??????

How many times Did Rome took Ctesifon????

Trayan????

What about VAlerian that laid under the legs of Shapur and prayed him to let him freee????????

Thank u for links, lets do not talk about battles that were won, becouse, if it was an empire, then it needed to won a battles in order to be

Why u do not talk about weakness of that empire

That would be better discussion

I kniow why, becouse, u will answer:

-there was no weak parts of Roman empire-

That is why Italy was under the horses of Hannibal 14 years????

that is why, more than 250 000 roman Princeps and Hastatiis died there, becouse Roma was not wea?????

Come on, be truthfull, nobody will hurt u, Just think

think that Romas was good, But was not the bes, and think why I think so

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 00:17

http://fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Marius - http://fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Marius

30 000 ROMANS were killed in Sextiae

less than 1000

hmmmm

30 000 < 1000

What was grade from MAth???

Or u have problem with History???

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 10:42
You're awfully hostile you know that? Whether you are Persian or not has nothing to do with my argument. I am merely stating the superiority of the Romans over the Persians. Never once did I state that the Roman Empire was superior to all empires.

It seems you misunderstood what you read.
"The leading contingent of the Germans, the Ambrones, foolishly attacked the Roman position without waiting for re-enforcements and 30,000 were killed."

The Ambrones were the ones who foolishly attacked the Roman position without waiting for reinforcements. 30,000 Ambrones were killed.

My math grades are quite high, thank you, but not as high as my history marks.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 11:30

Carrhae is a tired example by now Janissary, it wasnt even Romes heaviest defeat or one of the most important in the grand scale of the history of the empire. Infinitely outweighed by the fact the Persian capital was turned into little more than a source of loot for the Romans.

Septimius Severus sacked Ctesiphon in 197AD, suffice to say Ctesiphon was sacked and captured many times by the Romans. Its also worth pointing out Heraclius won the last great war between these two ancient titans the Roman/Byzantine empire and the Sassanids in the 7th century, just prior to the arrival on the scene of the Arabs.

Anyway that isnt particularly important, since we could go on all day about the Romans capturing a city the Parthians/Sassasnids taking another etc and it would become very tedious.

Janissary " http://fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Marius - http://fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Marius

30 000 ROMANS were killed in Sextiae

less than 1000

hmmmm

30 000 < 1000

What was grade from MAth???Or u have problem with History???"

I believe the problem is with your English Janissary, not Belisarius' math. Please show more respect.

From that link you gave it says;

"The leading contingent of the Germans, the Ambrones, foolishly attacked the Roman position without waiting for re-enforcements and 30,000 were killed."

That says 30,000 Ambrones died not Romans like you said, so read it carefully next time before spouting off.

Examples have been given of massive victories the Roman army gained over equally massive German armies, clearly showing the general superiority of the Roman armed forces to the Germanic armies of the time.

The Germans scored victories against Rome, the Teutoburg forest and Adrianople are the most famous, but Romes defeats are always more famous than her victories. Try as Belisarius pointed out the battle of Aquae Sextiae, Vecallae, and then theres Naissus and lake Benacus.

There are other German and Roman victories, to list them all would be pointless, my point is that everybody revels in the defeats Rome suffered, but conveniantly ignore Romes victories. Everybody has heard of Carrhae god knows we never hear the end of it from you Janissary, but how many people know much about Naissus? Lake Benacus? why arent these even greater battles as famous as Romes famous defeat at Carrhae? Seems there is more bias against Rome than there is for.

Finally Janissary, I hope you realise I have no personal stake in this, by that I mean you can criticise the Roman empire/army all you wish, it doesnt bother me in the slightest aslong as your criticism is correct and justified. As impartial a view as possible is what I want, ive never tried to play down defeats like Adrianople, why would I? its well known fact it was a massive defeat and exposed Roman weakness, I could just as easily continue pointing out how weak Parthia once was against Rome in Trajans day, could easily point out that the Sassanids were defeated by Byzantium in the last great war between them. It goes both ways.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 22:37

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 23:09
It's alright, Janissary. Everyone makes mistakes.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 00:07

When I make mistakes I just sneakily edit my post

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:33

I am an exchange student in USA, so I am not as good as u

ok??

sorry

-------------

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 12:02
however , who knows the really fellings ,ideas and aims of the germans. they couldnt wrote down neither their  history nor their thoughts. but at 9ac they defeated the roman legions at the so called varus-battle. the victory was surely not a sign of the german dominanc , but of the roman ignoranc. but latest excravations at kalriese ,the place it happens ,shown that there were no german countrymen ,who beat the romans , but well trained germans in roman uniforms. let their bones rest in peace and think to the second italian - german battle in 1970 wc in mexico.

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 13:27

The only reasons battle like Carrhae and Adrianople are so famous is because they are so unique and rare...That is, Romans loosing so badly...Overall they did have the best system and the most successAnd there were many other great powers too...Germans, Persians, and Ottomans...etc.

Edited by Komnenos with an unofficial warning sent via PM.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 23:45
This is true. Anti-Romans alway raise the arguments of such catastrophic defeats like Carrhae, Adrianople, and perhaps a couple of dozen more. On the other hand, there are hundreds of battles in which the Romans defeated the enemy as badly, or even more badly, as they lost in these few defeats.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 23:25

I think everybody says that Rome was the best-just becouse In fact in the world, if u ganna gather all the Ancient History books, half of them will be books which were dedicated to Rome, and even 1% will not be about Scythians, Sarmatians, Numidians, Goths and so on.

That is the main reason.

But nobody thinks that the was German states too, which fought and defated plenty of roman legioners, and died for their IDEA.

I do not wanna say that Romans were best, becouse they were not, they just were one of the best, that is it

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 01:41
Originally posted by Bayazit

I think everybody says that Rome was the best-just becouse In fact in the world, if u ganna gather all the Ancient History books, half of them will be books which were dedicated to Rome, and even 1% will not be about Scythians, Sarmatians, Numidians, Goths and so on.

That is the main reason.

But nobody thinks that the was German states too, which fought and defated plenty of roman legioners, and died for their IDEA.

I do not wanna say that Romans were best, becouse they were not, they just were one of the best, that is it

Thanks again, Janissary.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 10:39
 This guy just doesnt know when to quit

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 11:46
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

. but latest excravations at kalriese ,the
place it happens ,shown that there were no german countrymen ,who beat
the romans , but well trained germans in roman uniforms.

Never heard this story, could you please give a bit more detail.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 13:09

Originally posted by Heraclius

This guy just doesnt know when to quit

Well, you really must admire his tenacity. A lesser man in his situation would have just broken down and become more open-minded.

-------------

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 14:08
Originally posted by Komnenos

Never heard this story, could you please give a bit more detail.

for futher informations please kontact  www.varusschlacht.de

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: Drusus
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 22:48
I wouldn't go so far to say that the Romans mostly thrashed the Germans by
just looking at the figures of dead in each battle. I agree that the Romans
were greater but often these battles were closer than statistics suggest.
Most casualties in Ancient battles actually came from the killing of soldiers
who were routing.

Oh and I think the reason the Romans were so successful in these battles
was because the legions were successful in spite of their generals, not
becasue of them. I know that there are many examples of grat generals who
led their troops to victory, but many times the romans won in spite of
medicore leadership and this was, I think one of the reasons for success.

Posted By: Genghis_Kan
Date Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 18:52
I think the Romans and the Germans ar quite evenly handed. The Romans have discipline,ar well armoured, highly trained and fight in formations. On the hand, the Germans ar aggressive, have high mobility, good fighters. However, if the Romans fight tactically, they should beat the Germans.

Date Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 20:48
< ="text/">ZwXxso(1,"var SymTmpWinOpen = window.open; window.open = SymWinOpen; ZwXTimeout('enableDesignMode()', 20);; window.open = SymTmpWinOpen;");
Originally posted by Praetorian

"The Romans. They had discipline, the Germans did not. The Germans were fierce individual fighters, the Romans were fierce group fighters. Obviously, in massed numbers, the side that fights as a group will triumph over the side that does not.

The Romans only really lost when they faced insuperable odds or screwed up badly, like in Teutoberg. Varus was an idiot.

What about the slaughtering of 50,000 Romans in Cannae by Hannibal?

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 20:54
I guess that was a time when they screwed up badly. 

As was mentioned earlier, battles like Cannae are famous because they were rare battles in which Romans screwed up really badly.

The Romans won most of their battles against Barbarians until near the end of the Empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 19:12

I would vote for Romans

If Germans could make such army as Rome did, then they could also be the best.

In fact, if any enemy of Roman Empire was weak and had not such army, it is their fault, if they had a good army, then Rome was not THE BEST

am i right?

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 19:16

And also, it was not easy for Rome to capture

It was not easy for legion to fight against celt which holds 3 times bigger sword in his hands

I would say, it was Roman discipline and experience that won battles

if we'll mention, we'll see that, the battles that Rome fouht, they lost very few men, and battles that they lost, they lost almost all the men

That give us a key word-unexperienced generals or wrong tactical choise

Why Romans could not win Hannibal in Cannae, but They could do it in Zama???

Becouse Scippio chosed better tactics that those 2 legats did (sorry i forgot the name)

Posted By: mars
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 16:39
Originally posted by Kafkazli

if we'll mention, we'll see that, the battles that Rome fouht, they lost very few men, and battles that they lost, they lost almost all the men

This was no strange here, in the ancient battle, most of soldiers were killed in the one-side slaughter after line of his side was broken , as Romans always said "whatever odds you faces, if you could manage to hold your line, face the enemy with weapon in hand, you will be safe"

Posted By: Iranian41ife
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 00:31

the whole roman vs germans thing reminds me of two things.

1) how the romans lost every battle against hte greeks who had settled italy, yet still won the war.

2) how the USA won every battle during vietnam and still lost the war.

the romans suffered the same thing, they won every battle but in the end, they could not replenish their troops while the germans kept coming back for more. over and over again the romans lost troops they couldnt replace, much like sparta duing their war with thebes (which they lost and were obliterated basically).  in the end, it all came down to numbers.

Posted By: Socrates
Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 03:41

A good source for this appears to be "Germania" by Tacitus...some interesting observations made by Tacitus about Germans.Appearently,Grmans used to laugh at the size of Roman soldiers(maybe this is not Tacitus).Two more very inter. things-when germans got drunk,they didn't quarell with eachother like Romans did-they would often kill eachother without prior argument;this is nice-they seemed to care more for their women then men-Romans knew that and used it constantly-they kidnapped their women and blackmail their husbands-poor sods did everything requested;but when romans kidnapped one of rheir male relatives,they didn't give a dime-"kill him,so what?"...

Anyone here read Germania...?

Posted By: HistoryGuy
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 18:20
That battle in 9AD was basically a massacre since the Romans didn't know how to fight in enclosed spaces. They only knew how to fight in open fields.

-------------
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 23:54
Originally posted by Socrates

A good source for this appears to be "Germania" by Tacitus...some interesting observations made by Tacitus about Germans.Appearently,Grmans used to laugh at the size of Roman soldiers(maybe this is not Tacitus).Two more very inter. things-when germans got drunk,they didn't quarell with eachother like Romans did-they would often kill eachother without prior argument;this is nice-they seemed to care more for their women then men-Romans knew that and used it constantly-they kidnapped their women and blackmail their husbands-poor sods did everything requested;but when romans kidnapped one of rheir male relatives,they didn't give a dime-"kill him,so what?"...

Anyone here read Germania...?

I haven't read it, but about the height thing archaeological evidence suggests that the Germans had an average height of just two inches more than the Romans.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 06:50
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Socrates

A good source for this appears to be
"Germania" by Tacitus...some interesting observations made by Tacitus
about Germans.Appearently,Grmans used to laugh at the size of Roman
soldiers(maybe this is not Tacitus).Two more very inter. things-when
germans got drunk,they didn't quarell with eachother like Romans
did-they wouldoften kill eachother without prior argument;this is
nice-they seemed to care more for their women then men-Romansknew
that and used itconstantly-they kidnapped their women and
blackmail their husbands-poor sods did everything requested;but when
romans kidnapped one of rheir male relatives,they didn't give a
dime-"kill him,so what?"...

Anyone hereread Germania...?

I haven't read it, but about the height thing archaeological evidence
suggests that the Germans had an average height of just two inches more
than the Romans.

First of all, I would like to point out again, that calling the deadly enemies of the Roman Empire "Germans" is something of a historical fallacy, as that term in English is reserved for the inhabitants of a country that came in existence much later than the first centuries AD. It's like calling the Ancient Romans "Italians".
Either one uses the latin term "Germani", or if writing in English one should be more precise.
The probably more correct term for the people that massacred Varus and his legions is "West-Germanic tribes".
It works in the German language, as there is a difference between "Germanisch" und "Deutsch", but in English it's a bit confusing.

Secondly, I think the physical stature of the "Germani" is somewhat exaggerated, first by the Roman historians who, for propaganda purposes, had the tendency to overplay size and strength of their enemies, and later by German nationalist historians in the 19th century, who created an idealised vision of the Germanic warrior as a giant, blond and blue eyed figure, which then of course served as model for the alleged "Aryan super-race".

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 15:52

Originally posted by HistoryGuy

That battle in 9AD was basically a massacre since the Romans didn't know how to fight in enclosed spaces. They only knew how to fight in open fields.

Enclosed spaces indeed didnt suit the way Romans fought, undermining formation and favouring individual prowess in combat, the legionary system was one of groups fighting as one, the Gallic/Germanic tribes put much more emphasis on individual ability.

The Roman system was far better in the open that much is true, but that doesnt mean to say they couldnt fight in the dense woodland of Germany at all, take the campaigns of Germanicus in the early 1st century AD, his victories greatly made up for the annihilation of Varus' column.

As a general rule ambush (to infantry based armies especially) puts all be they Germanic or Roman to a great disadvantage, the tribes the Romans fought would of been cut to pieces or fled just as easily had they been cramped into a tight space and had the Romans closing in on them from all sides. Enclosed spaces could benefit the Romans as much as the tribes if planned properly, as the Romans tended to be on the offensive between the Rhine and Elbe it meant the Germanics had more chance of laying an ambush in the first place.

-------------

Posted By: J.Caesar
Date Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 23:03
Germans quite inferior. Caesar humiliated them so easily. Many fled in retreat dropping their weapons and drowned in the Rhine in retreat. Now Caesar was outnumbered by maybe anywhere from 10 to 50 to one! The Germanic tribes were easier and not as fierce as those of Gaul. Some historians(Tacitus..who most know was a fabricator at all levels) may have portrayed them as 'noble and fierce' but i feel that was not the case. The numbers do not lie. The fact that Caesar(and others) went after them being so outnumbered tells volumes. Ancient historians sometimes propped up their enemies to lofty heights for propaganda and just to make them a formidible foe. In reality the Germans onle beat the Romans in a trap or be such overwhelming numbers. Late Romans like Narses and Belisarious humiliated the Vandals and Goths even more so perhaps. Maybe 15,000 Roman soldiers to 100,000 Vandals or Goths!
Germans were not fierce obviously and could not have been much of a physical specimens either, here is why;  Training and orgainzation helps the Romans, yes, but in those days all were trained in hand to hand at a very young age. In hand to hand  though numbers is an extreme advantage! Laws of physics...you have only one hand.  The Romans were so outnumbered that you have to conclude that they had to be the fiercest and best specimens of their time and perhaps for all times. I think I remember a genetist stating that she was amazed at their bone density(Roman soldiers) and attachments. Their height was only average (Their was a minimum 5ft 10 in. requirement in the legion) but their musculture was such that they had extreme strength and perhaps agility.( attachment wear)         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;          Perhaps this is the real reason of Roman success...not to take anything away from Julius of course.

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 23:23

The claim I made earlier about the superior height of the tribes inhabiting the area between the Rhine and Vistula Rivers is based on archaeological surveys conducted which concluded that the average "Germani" of Roman times was roughly two inches taller than his Italian counterpart. This is not due in any way to racial superiority, but rather seems to be the results of diffferent lifestyles. The Romans were an urban civilization, heavily dependent upon intensive grain based agriculture. Although the Germani certainly were dependent on agriculture, they engaged in hunting a a great deal more and their diets (richer in protein) had the effect of enhancing their height. We see such trends today as populations move away from intensive agriculture and eat more meat they tend to get taller.

As far as Caesar defeating the Germans, there was only a couple of actual engagements. Caesar dealt with Ariovistus and also crossed the Rhine to spread terror, but one can hardly speak of widespread victories by Caesar over the Germans. Caesar's concern in Gaul were the Gauls, the Germans had neither the organisation nor the will to try and make too much trouble for the Romans at that stage.

The late Roman campaigns against the Germans were hard fought and included many failures. We have to remember the Western Empire folded under their migrations in the end, while the armies of Belisarius and Narses were vastly different from the legions Caesar commanded.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 00:00
Caesar fought the German Allani and many more and was heavily outnumbered. The Germans showed that they cannot fight hand to hand at all. They dropped theirv weopns and drowned in the Rhine an many accounts. Height irrelevant it appears, Romans must have had a huge stregnth and agilty advantage. Also when the Goths invaded they too were humiliated given their huge numeric superiority. Later Narses and Belisorious proved how inept the Vandals and Goths were. Now most accounts the German migarations were enormous numbers. These very same tribes were easly handled by the Huns who were easliy handled by the Chinese. Only way the Huns were stopped when Aetious legions combined with the Germans and Celts. Later Aetious could not even get a legion moblized, that will tell you how the late empire was in decline and was the only way German tribes could wander in. The German tribes for centuries attempted to penetrate into Rome and ALAWYS were stopped. The Tuetonberg trap very overrated as most Roman losses were, by Aryan historians anyway. Most Germamn tribes were defeated by Marius,Germanicus and so many other beat the Germans and even going as far as the Elbe. The Germans lived in enormoius fear and even gave the Romans many slaves in an effort to appease them. This is historical facts.
My premise is that the Germans were not the Romans biggest foes,they were delt with when Rome was Rome handily (late Rome was just a shell of itself) , there were many better foes. (Hannibal, the Parthians, Greeks) These groups were much superior fighters than the Germans. This is the truth...the numbers do not lie. It  just amazes me how many do not pay attention to the numerics...hand to hand fighting the numbers matter. Laws of physics and a study on knife and fencing suggest that a two to one advanatge always wins. The Germans had at least 10 or 30 to one odds on the Romans in all battles from Caesar to Narses. This speakes volumes! German fighters may have height (Romans had a minimum  5 ft 10 in requirement though) but they had to be uncoordinated , weak clods! They just had to be...sorry to offend any Aryan historians but this American historian speaks the truth and does not have any propaganda as an agenda.

Posted By: Virgil
Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 03:53
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

That's not true. Tuetoburg Forest was an ambush. The Roman army was moving through a small trail without weapons at the ready. Roman legions and good generals were flexible enough to fight in mountainous terrain like Spain and Armenia as well as forested areas like Gaul and the German frontier.

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 23:58
Marius also put severe beating on the Germans and in one battle killed so many and there was so much blood on the battlefield that the Romans decided to use it for vineyards, bones used also for the vines. It was said that the wine produce an ussual vintage. Marius was so horribly outnumbered too. You have to really wonder how can these people so ineffective while outnumbering the Romans. We have much evidence that the Germans had excellent weaponary and better metal making skills than the Romans.(obtained through the Celts) Also, they some fought on a phalnx type formation and some tribes had a llot of cavalry. Their leaders were also broughtn up through the ranks through ability not poltics as most romnas were.
All this matteterd little becuse the Roman infantryman was so superior in every respect. Fighting hand to hand with lances, gladius, spears would result in many wounds for both. Outnumbering an opposition is always a huge advantge in war but much more so in hand to hand. You have to reaqd the numbers that the Germanics outnumbered the Romans..amzing numbers. No other logical conclusion can be made. Can you imagine a roman army outnumbering them...lets say 250,000 to 40,000 > What would the Roman army do? You know. Well Caesar,Marius and Narses and others were outnumbered by this amount! Case closed.

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 00:45

Originally posted by J.Caesar

Marius also put severe beating on the Germans and in one battle killed so many and there was so much blood on the battlefield that the Romans decided to use it for vineyards, bones used also for the vines. It was said that the wine produce an ussual vintage. Marius was so horribly outnumbered too.

Emperor Decius had a far superior force to the Germanic chieftain Knias. And yet he lost badly, he was himself killed in battle. Generally the Romans had the upper hand, but not always.

You have to really wonder how can these people so ineffective while outnumbering the Romans.

Inferior logistics, inferior weaponry, lack of access to the wealth of technology in the Mediterranean. And if I recall correctly, they killed tens of thousands of Romans in battle before Marius actually managed to defeat them. Obviously not so ineffective given their disadvantages.

We have much evidence that the Germans had excellent weaponary and better metal making skills than the Romans.(obtained through the Celts)

Fantastic, provide us with a source so I can see that evidence.

Can you imagine a roman army outnumbering them...lets say 250,000 to 40,000 > What would the Roman army do? You know. Well Caesar,Marius and Narses and others were outnumbered by this amount! Case closed.

I can imagine the total collapse of the Roman state from maintaining that many troops. The difference between a Roman army and a German army came down to simple economics in the end. The Roman army was vastly more expensive to maintain than a German one. Roman superiority was due to superior logistics, better equipment, superior technology, incessant training, and the political superiority of the Roman state over the fragmented Germanic tribes. In the end this military superiority was enormously costly, the Romans could not maintain such a military without continued conquests and slaves. As a result the Roman military declined, while the Germanic tribes (having adapted to the Romans) produced a military that was both economically sustainable and militarily effective enough to destroy and occupy the West Roman Empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 01:00
Not quite. The late roamn period has many reasons for its decline but most historians abandened the barbarian theory. In this period the west was in so much decvline that Rome was a very poor city with a fraction of the pop. and that is one reason for the move to Constinople. The army was a shell of itself. As for the numbers in the  battles just look it up..the Romans were alwys heavily otnumberd. The biggest force(north) they did use was against the Dacians(thracian people) who the Romans thought much better fighters than the Geramnics. The numbers they used also supported this. Dacians had excellent cavalry and nice weoponry the Romans feared, falnx for example. Dacia had the location where they had to keep the Germanics at bay(which they did for along time) and the Scythians to the east of them,then the Romans! When Rome conquered them they used their greatest force..in the west anyway(Romans used and lost more men against the Partians)
Recent archealogy on a female gentestist did on Roman soldiers revealed from bone density studies among others..average height, very dense thick bones., meaning heavy musculature,plus very worn at the attchments,sugesting heavy use of these.
What this cannot reveal is if these soldiers were quick and agile, I will leave this to speculation.

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 03:18

Not quite. The late roamn period has many reasons for its decline but most historians abandened the barbarian theory.

Well to make that claim you would have to overlook the fact that the barbarian armies, by the 5th century, were so cost effective and so militarily effective that they made up the bulk of the soldiers in the later Roman Empire. It has been well documented by the historian Procopius that when Belisarius and Narses began their Byzantine reconquista, that most of their troops were barbarian mercenaries. I have a source for that actually On the Wars by contemporary historian Procopius of Caesaria.

In this period the west was in so much decvline that Rome was a very poor city with a fraction of the pop. and that is one reason for the move to Constinople. The army was a shell of itself.

That's the result of doubling, and doubling and doubling the army's pay. Meanwhile Roman gold steadily drained to the east to pay for luxury items. Economic ruin through poor economic control and an overcostly military. By the 4th century the Empire was so poor it resorted to pay and supplying it troops through barter rather than coin. Source: Michael Grant, The Later Roman Empire.

As for the numbers in the  battles just look it up..the Romans were alwys heavily otnumberd.

Quite often, but not always. Decius had a force roughly the same size as Knias, it was annihilated along with the Emperor. Ticinus, Trebbia, Lake Trasimene and Cannae were all crushing defeats for the Romans inspite of vast numerical advantage. Numerous Roman campaigns against Parthia with numerical advantages ended in failure. Mundus' (535 AD) invasion of Ostrogothic Illyricum ended in failure inspite of relatively even numbers on both sides.

Recent archealogy on a female gentestist did on Roman soldiers revealed from bone density studies among others..average height, very dense thick bones., meaning heavy musculature,plus very worn at the attchments,sugesting heavy use of these.
What this cannot reveal is if these soldiers were quick and agile, I will leave this to speculation.

I asked for a source from your last post and you didn't provide one. For this particular comment I also require a source. What does "average" height mean anyway? Average for their time? Average for my time? Average for me? (I'm 189cm)

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 14:18
Vegetius and many others describe the height requirement at 5 ft 10 in. They do allow some flexibilty it seems but they also required big shoulders and strong legs and heavy musculture in general. These soldiers were required to march carrying 90 pounds many milese per day. Also, many construction projects too. The Roman infantry proved not to have an equal. The cavalry did however. To beat the Roman infantry Hannibal and the Parthians showed that effective use of cavlry is the answer. Celts/Germans did not use this effectievley maninly because their leaders had such huge numeric advantage they thought the Romans would not be a problem. However, it seems that one Roman infantry man can kill 2 or even 10 to one was the norm aginst the 'barbarians'. Hannibal and the Parthians were a compltetly differnt story. Avoid hand to hand against the infantry.

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:58
Tacitus has been proven wrong many times and wrote fiction of the time. All hitorians now know this. He was never in places he said he was and many other fabrications. So we look to soldiers like Caesars accounts.
Gallic wars were statred to defend Gaul against Geramanic incursions. Caesar handeled this with amzing effiency just like his uncle Maruis did against the Germans.
Seirous scholars know the truth, German tribes were of little difficulty,they are severely overrated. The Dacians, Iberian celts and Parthian horse men proved to be Romes` only trouble. The biggest Roman attacking force ever was used againt the Dacians. Those used aginst the Geramns were in reality few comapred to Romes other campaigns. Why, because the truth be known Romans did not have much fear for them except the numbers of soldiers.
Only once did Caesar record any fear, when his soldiers seen the quntity against them, (they thought Caesar perhaps nuts) They were outnumbered even more than Marius was. Marius defeated German forces that were at least 10 his. This is well documented but for some reason most want to hear about the Tuetonberg trap. Romans lost 2 or 3 legions ina spread out formations and not expecting auxilary German support,but they turned on them.Roamsnproabbly outnumberd by extremes. However,the Roamns fought to the death without surrender, (Varrus commited suiciede)
The Roamns that got revenge many times and proceeded to the Eble easliy pacifing any. There wa little need to obtain the forests of Germany to Rome,little wealth. Dacia was acenter of Gold making.
Also, the Geramn individual soldiers must have been in realty 'clods'. Caesar was amazed at their inabilty to fight once wounded. Also, he turned the Rhine red with thier boold whilr the Germans drowned in Rhine trying to flee. He was amazed at how they fleed because they had such huge amount of numbers. Caesar then crossed the Rhine and marched for 17 days there and the Germans fleed in terror.
Geramn soldiers being fierce is the biggest farce there was and was orginated by a couple of German historians who tried to prop up the forrest trap and Geramnic migrations centuries later. Now these were migrations into a Roman world that was really no more. They couln`t even field a sceond army to defend against Attila. Previous to this they fought the Goths back over the Danube in a huge victory. Again being so ooutnumbered it seems on the ridiculous.
Romsn did have difficulty with cavlry,Nunidiam(Hnnibals)and Parthian but never with the German cavrly. In fact theu used German cavalry as auxilary because they plentiful and cheap. They were obtained from the fiercest tof the German tribes who were manily in the Belgae area who the Roamns handled easily.
These are the facts and takes the 'Conan' out of barbarian. I have to assume that perhaps they were a little taller but they must have been so much inferior to the Romans in stregth and speed. You need speed in with a sword especialy if you are so outnumberd. Training perhaps helped a little but in those days all were trained to fight at a very early age. Modern fencers say it just is near impossible to be outnumbered 2 to1. Romans were many times. (against north Europe anyway)
In conclusion they(Germans) were perhaps the most over rated warriors ever, to be sure ,and were only propped up by 'Aryan' historians who carried a hidden agenda it seems. Unfortunely this carried over to a degree to England. The truth is coming out about the fall of the empire too and it has little to do with external forces.

Posted By: Otho
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 01:53

Tacitus has been proven wrong many times and wrote fiction of the time. All hitorians now know this. He was never in places he said he was and many other fabrications. So we look to soldiers like Caesars accounts.

Um I don't mean to jump all over you for this, but whatever questions exist about accuracy in Tacitus exist tenfold for Caesar.  His work was far more propaganda than history.

The fact is that this question of Romans vs. Germans is only valid until about the end of the 1st Century CE.  At that point, much of the Roman army was made of Germans.  Before that, well there's no question that the Romans were more successful, but I think their ruthlessness and willingness to invent reasons for pre-emptive strikes were certainly factors in their success.

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 06:59

J.Caeser

You seem to be taking everything Caeser wrote as fact, its pretty obvious he greatly inflated the numbers of Gauls he fought against to make every victory seem more spectacular. Its commonly accepted that the Gallic wars are as much a masterful work of propaganda as an accurate account of a war. There is bound to be alot of fact in the Gallic wars, but there is also bound to be exaggerations, omissions etc to make Caeser look better or play down reverses, usually blaming them on others or including some account of a specific often named legionary performing a heroic act to take your attention away from a mistake.

Tacitus had impeccable sources to draw from. There is doubt over Tacitus' account of Agricolas campaign against the Picts, due to Agricola being Tacitus' father in law. However you can say that about Polybius, good friends and former tutor of Scipio Aemilianus, are we to discount him to? all sources which may or may not have some bias? if we did we'd have gaps in history centuries long, because there are pitifully few detailed sources available. If we did that then Caesers accounts oughta be totally discarded and ignored.

"They were outnumbered even more than Marius was. Marius defeated German forces that were at least 10 his. This is well documented but for some reason most want to hear about the Tuetonberg trap. Romans lost 2 or 3 legions ina spread out formations and not expecting auxilary German support,but they turned on them.Roamsnproabbly outnumberd by extremes. However,the Roamns fought to the death without surrender, (Varrus commited suiciede)"

Remember the tribes Marius fought against included with the fighting men, the women and children of the tribe, all on the move. So if its reported that the tribe was 250,000 strong, then you can bet atleast half that are non-combatants.

The Romans at the Teutoburg did attempt to flee, infact theres reports of the cavalry attempting to escape but being cut down. The legions almost certainly wanted to run for their lives, but simply couldnt. The Germans kept up the pressure and refused to allow the Romans to regroup, the annihilation of Varus column and its supposed *stand* were more due to the fact the Romans couldnt escape if they had wanted to, than some act of supreme bravery in the face of destruction. The Romans didnt have a choice.

I do agree though that people focus far to much on Roman defeat, ignoring or playing down Roman victories.

"Romsn did have difficulty with cavlry,Nunidiam(Hnnibals)and Parthian but never with the German cavrly"

The Gothic cavalry at Adrianople smashed the Romans quite conclusively.

-------------

Posted By: Gharanai
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 10:04
I would say the Romans, as at that time (before devision) I really don't think there was any hard challenger infront of the might of the Roman Empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 00:03
I think the Romans had an easy time with them. Look at the battle of Vercalae for example. over 200,000 Geramns vs. 50,000 Romans
losses: 140,000 German dead, over 60,000 prisoners.
Roman losses; less than 1000! *Wikpedia
Yes Romans were mislead and traped and had some losses but they were rare but highly publized for various reasons.
Yes the Romans were very organzed and rarely surrenderd. However I feel all people of that era were well trained to fight from an early age. The Romans relied on infantry the most. (so the best way to beat them is cavalry)
Studying their battles for a long time I have conclude they were amazing hand to hand fighters. Inafantry is hand to hand. The Romans were alwys severly outnumbered. They had only two hands. However I think these legionaires must have possessed an amazing strength and agilty. I think the Celts had better weaponary and metal making skills(so perhaps Germans too) in which the Roamns copied. Pilum,chain mail.
Just think you had a fighter that was hadrier and fiercer than all. Just that great leaders like Caesar,Drussus,Germanicus get much of the credit and the individual Roman is overlooked. The battles and the numbers and excerpt from roamn soldiers(not Tacitus or other propaganda writers) shows soldiers of superior confidence against any regardless of the numbers. Do not think any soldiers of this day would be so confident in hand to hand against superior numbers.

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 01:37
Most of the accounts we have are biased to some degree because they are written by Romans. They exaggerate the number of enemies. 200,000 is obviously an exaggeration.

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 18:21
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Most of the accounts we have are biased to some degree because they are written by Romans. They exaggerate the number of enemies. 200,000 is obviously an exaggeration.

I agree, I hardly could believe any German tribe or tribes had the ability to field a 200,000 men army in one place, simply feeding those men would be a huge problem.
I think the only worthly enemy of Romans were Pathia/Perssian Empir

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 19:26
It wasn't that difficult for the Germans to temporarily field massive hordes. They just lived off pillage from agriculturally productive areas ... surely the stores of produce such places laid aside would be more than enough.

Also note that the larger figures for some of the hordes are not claimed to be fighting men, but include women and children of the migrants.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 12:48
Originally posted by edgewaters

It wasn't that difficult for the Germans to temporarily field massive hordes. They just lived off pillage from agriculturally productive areas ... surely the stores of produce such places laid aside would be more than enough.

Yeah, just imagine how much food need to feed those "massive hordes" every day.

Originally posted by edgewaters

Also note that the larger figures for some of the hordes are not claimed to be fighting men, but include women and children of the migrants.

OK, then does that mean Romans claimed they had 50,000 soldiers againsted 200,000 men, woman and children ?

Posted By: Evrenosgazi
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 15:55

I think the Romans had an easy time with them. Look at the battle of Vercalae for example. over 200,000 Geramns vs. 50,000 Romans
losses: 140,000 German dead, over 60,000 prisoners.
Roman losses; less than 1000! *Wikpedia
Yes Romans were mislead and traped and had some losses but they were rare but highly publized for various reasons.
Yes the Romans were very organzed and rarely surrenderd. However I feel all people of that era were well trained to fight from an early age. The Romans relied on infantry the most. (so the best way to beat them is cavalry)
Studying their battles for a long time I have conclude they were amazing hand to hand fighters. Inafantry is hand to hand. The Romans were alwys severly outnumbered. They had only two hands. However I think these legionaires must have possessed an amazing strength and agilty. I think the Celts had better weaponary and metal making skills(so perhaps Germans too) in which the Roamns copied. Pilum,chain mail.
Just think you had a fighter that was hadrier and fiercer than all. Just that great leaders like Caesar,Drussus,Germanicus get much of the credit and the individual Roman is overlooked. The battles and the numbers and excerpt from roamn soldiers(not Tacitus or other propaganda writers) shows soldiers of superior confidence against any regardless of the numbers. Do not think any soldiers of this day would be so confident in hand to hand against superior numbers.

Again the same, the urbanised armies armies are small and brave, the nomad armies are big and crap, This brave armies are sometimes chineese, persians, romans, greeks . Crap armies are nomads, germanic tribes and ofcourse Ottomans. Wikipedia is a ridicolous source. Not worth to mention it

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 22:52
Batlle of Vercallae says it all...8 Roman legions(Tuetonberg trap had 3) vs OVER 200,000 Germans. Results: 140,000 Geramsn dead and over 60,000 slaves. Roman losses: less than 1000!!* Wikpedia nd German historian Theodor Mommsen.
There were many Roamn victories over the Germans that rivaled this ,from Maruius,Germanicus,Caesar and Drussus to name a few. They even reacched far into the eatern end of Germany. The tribes were thourougly beaten and only attempted guerilla war. The Forest trap was the most over rated in history. 3 legion loss was not great by other Roamn losses. Plus American Army historian ,Dan Ptersen, who studies the site feels that the Romans actually drove them off. (albeit many roamn losses plus standards) His evidence: burial mounds from Varus`s forces.  Only the victors could have done this.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com