Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Germanys last Colony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Germanys last Colony
    Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 14:38
The Ernst-Thlmann-Insel (Cayo Ernesto Thaelmann) is an approx. 15km long and 500m wide island in the Bay of Pigs on the Cuban South Coast.
In June 1972 the Cuban leader Fidel Castro went to visit the GDR ( the former East-Germany) . During his stay he gave the GDR a Caribbean island as a present. Its original name was Cayo Blanco del Sur, later it was renamed Ernst-Thlmann-Insel, after the leader of the German Communist Party in the 20s and 30s who was murdered by the Nazis. (Seriously, no joke!)
In the German unification treaty from 1990 the island is not mentioned.
On behalf of the German people, I therefore demand an immediate clarification of the legal status of the Ernst-Thlmann-Insel.
I am further willing to personally hoist the German flag on the island and, if necessary, to volunteer as one of the first German settlers in the Carribean.
Please support our just cause!

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 15:24
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that island was thought to have been devastated by Hurricane Mitch (1998). And I definitely remember reading that Castro denied ever having made such a donation.

I say, GO GET IT, Komnenos!!! Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers!!!!!! Good Luck.

Morty
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 16:23

I would like to see Germany get something back!  BUt lets not start a war with Castro over yet.  Actually.... better yet, lets start a war with him!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 16:25
If you are going to get  Ernst Talmann-insel, I'll go with you to get Cozumel. In 1517 that island was awarded to a Dutch nobleman by Charles the V, so it's about time we make Dutch rule effective on Cozumel
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 17:21
I imagine this would be better in Historical Amusement, as I imagine you are all kidding when claiming that obscure and, in any case, ilegal concession to a country that doesn't exist anymore, am I wrong? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 17:27

Originally posted by Komnenos

The Ernst-Thlmann-Insel (Cayo Ernesto Thaelmann) is an approx. 15km long and 500m wide island in the Bay of Pigs on the Cuban South Coast.

Those dimensions say to me.... Military Airstrip!

Schroeder could use it to keep Bush in check.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 17:46
Please, Shroeder couldn't keep Castro in check.  Too bad for the Germans.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 17:50
yeah, I'm already there and conduct some serious covered Guerillia operations.....unfortunately I'm the only person on the island.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 20:29
Well Komnenos I say go take back your island. Why not govern it on behalf of the German people and start your own dynasty on the island, I bet you would love that .
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 12:03
Maybe they can exchange it for Sansibar?
rangerstew View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rangerstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 14:46
It would be cool if Germany retook it by force. Maybe then Castro would blame someone other than the U.S. for all of his problems.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 14:55
Retake what? Germany has never owned that island.

Anyhow, you Gringos would be happy, wouldn't you? Cuba doesn't have any major problems, only that nasty blackmail to foreign companies not to do bussiness with Cuba, which is a good reason not just for Cubans but for other nations to hate the USA.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 15:10

You Germans are nuts! Why go to a distant Carribean island where you can end up awash in the sea after a tornado?

Come and live in a deserted Greek island and you can probably get government support for it 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4171015.stm

or apply for a position as lighthouse-keeper, for one of the few lighthouses that are not automatic and are preserved for historical purpoces. Remember, there're 2,000 islands in the Aegean and only 200 are inhabited.

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 01:46
Hey, sounds cool! And with no one living there I wouldn't even have to learn Greek 

Now seriously, it looks promising. What can you do for a living in a desert island? How much would cost the land? Would I be allowed to build a house or are those islands considered natural protected spaces? Would I be allowed to install a turistic camping (for income) and a small dock? I am definitively interested - even if I have to learn Greek. I already know how to say elevteria, ne and oxi.

The lighthose keeper profession also sounds pretty good.

Where can I get more info?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 07:28

Hi, frankly I haven't thought of it that much, to look for practical information. Now I think that I'm also interested!

To start with, if you don't have a source of income, it's hard to make a living in a small deserted island. First of all, there're no tourists, except if you become known, built a small tavern and the island has a decent beach, so you can attract sail boaters. You have to have you own boat and a bigger island near by, where you can get provisions. 99% of these smaller islets have no water, must be imported. Must be used to loneliness, winters will be very lonely. If you are in need of (any kind of) medical attention, forget about it!

I'm not sure if you can buy it, since they belong to the state and it doesn't sell land unless there's a very specific reason. Some others are protected as birds havens and are out of limits, you cannot built anything, or even stay overnight. But you can probably built a light structure in one of the not protected ones. Wanting to live in it, is another issue.

Lighthouse guard seems much more interesting, I'll look into it and get back to you!

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 07:35
If that place comes with a highspeed internet connection, and an attractive young lady chef, it could be the thing for me.
Arrrgh!!"
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 07:41
Dream on!

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 10:31
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

If you are going to get Ernst Talmann-insel, I'll go with you to
get Cozumel. In 1517 that island was awarded to a Dutch nobleman by
Charles the V, so it's about time we make Dutch rule effective on
Cozumel

Really ? Then I think I will give another Cinco de Mayo

Time to take back Isla de La Pasion from France ( Clipperton Island )

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 01:37

As a group of Turkish citizenswe have a total belief that Germany is right in this issue and support your rightful cause.

Ernest Thalmann should stay German!!!

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 03:23
Originally posted by Kapikulu

As a group of Turkish citizenswe have a total belief that Germany is right in this issue and support your rightful cause.

Ernest Thalmann should stay German!!!

Thank you for your support!
Another proof for the longstanding friendship between the Turkish and German people.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>