Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The best warriors ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
kroglu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kroglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best warriors ever?
    Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 21:07
The best warriors ever? Your opinions....
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 21:29

oh my, this thread is going to get nasty.

Will have to go with the Romans who with so few, retained a large empire for so long.

Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 22:22
None. They all got trounced at one point or another in their long histories.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 23:22

Considering Armenians have been severely outnumbered in every war and have had numerous adversaries at one time, including all major empires of the region, they fought just as bravely as anybody. We still have our own language, alphabet, and our religion was never forced on us, we chose it for ourselves and it remains unchanged despite thousands of years of pressure. How many countries on earth today can claim all 3 of those things? BESIDES being under Assyrian,Persian, Roman, Macedonian and Byzantine rule, Armenia only had 2 years of TOTAL independece from 1045 until 1991, but our people and culture remain because of our great warriors and their spirit. Our most recent example is when our undersized and technologically backwards troops in Nagorno-Karabagh successfully conquered 1/5 of Azerbaijan in 1994, and woudve taken more if Russia didnt force us to end the war. At least give us an honorable mention or something, lol.

But i understand as to why you wouldnt put us in, its not like history revolves around us or like we have some huge role in history. Just trying to tell you more of my people's history, because sadly its not written in history books...

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Arkhanson View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Arkhanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 04:02

Romans are the best forget the rest

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:10
If we are talking about Medieval Warriors, I go for the Turks.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:12

Spartans

Aztecs

Koreans

EDIT: Forgot the Brazillians!

Edited by demon
Grrr..
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:14

Yeah baby, AMAZONS

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 06:24

Lithuanians

i voted for germans...

Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 11:07
Other: Celts =)
Cymru am Byth
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 12:13
i cannot in good conscience see a zero vote for mongols in this thread and not vote for them.

I felt they deserved that vote, even though i might not be totally agreeable to the fact that they are the "greatest warriors"
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 13:23
We could be greatest warriors. Besides being able to claim all three things AS mentioned, we also conquered with few numbers large amounts of thingies and controlled those for quite some time in certain places. Who besides us can claim to have fought and won (and also lost a couple times)with almost all peoples that there were? From javans to templar knights. And we certainly do live in one of the most harsh inhabited environments known, contrary to romans. And romans didn't make anyone build the onliest thing built by human hand that can be seen from space.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 13:37
I agree with my comrade Chono. Well I'm bias!
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 14:27

"And romans didn't make anyone build the onliest thing built by human hand that can be seen from space. "

If you're talking about the great wall, your wrong, first the great wall was not for the mongols, second it cannot be seen from the moon as myth indicate.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 15:34
I voted the Mongols. They were unique from the agrarian civilizations and so are fascinating to me. They were over the larger most of any army and had an advantage of having different battle laws of the "civilized" lands they conquered. They were barbarians and barbarians also conquered Rome. Rome didn't conquer that much compared to the Mongols when you look at the globe. It really is a massive difference. The Romans just had a good administrative system but they hardly conquered so fast, efectively and lost a hole lot a more battles than the Mongols, the last thing is my presumption and i think it is true.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 15:44

warhead, would you please tell us why the great wall was built? I had always heard it was to keep the mongols out, but that's just what i've heard, i've never really researched it, so i'm curious to know the real reason why it was built.

I voted for the Greeks.

Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 16:14
I voted for the Greeks. Such a long military history.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 18:24
Ya the Greeks got down and dirty with the best of them, great warriors.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 19:50
Originally posted by MikeP

i'm curious to know the real reason why it was built.

the Wall which began construction by Shihuang, is believed to have been built to keep various nomadic threats at bay including the dangerous Hsiung Nu or "Xiong Nu'' which we have always called them here.These Steppe warriors are the predecessors to the Mongols by a couple millenia.

There are actually many walls not just one.If you take a close look at some of the walls built during the first emperor and during the Han which are much smaller in scale to the Wall built during the Ming Dynasty(the one tourist visit),they hardly serve as deterant and probably more for intimidation purposes.  I believe that the ancient chinese belief that evil travels south from the north served major reason for its construction.

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 20:53
Originally posted by Gallipoli

Yeah baby, AMAZONS

Hmmm

Mongols conquored everyone.

But Mongols did not conquor the amazons.

So... If mongols>all

and Amazons>Mongols

then Amazons= the best.

But... Ghengis Khan's conquored more women than any other man ever. He's suppost to have more ancestors than any other historic figure alive today. Isn't that true conquest?

Edited by TMPikachu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>