Print Page | Close Window

The best warriors ever?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Historical Amusement
Forum Discription: For role playing and alternative history discussions.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=456
Printed Date: 27-Apr-2024 at 22:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The best warriors ever?
Posted By: kroglu
Subject: The best warriors ever?
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 21:07
The best warriors ever? Your opinions....

Replies:
Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 21:29

oh my, this thread is going to get nasty.

Will have to go with the Romans who with so few, retained a large empire for so long.

-------------

Posted By: Hyarmendacil
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 22:22
None. They all got trounced at one point or another in their long histories.

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 23:22

Considering Armenians have been severely outnumbered in every war and have had numerous adversaries at one time, including all major empires of the region, they fought just as bravely as anybody. We still have our own language, alphabet, and our religion was never forced on us, we chose it for ourselves and it remains unchanged despite thousands of years of pressure. How many countries on earth today can claim all 3 of those things? BESIDES being under Assyrian,Persian, Roman, Macedonian and Byzantine rule, Armenia only had 2 years of TOTAL independece from 1045 until 1991, but our people and culture remain because of our great warriors and their spirit. Our most recent example is when our undersized and technologically backwards troops in Nagorno-Karabagh successfully conquered 1/5 of Azerbaijan in 1994, and woudve taken more if Russia didnt force us to end the war. At least give us an honorable mention or something, lol.

But i understand as to why you wouldnt put us in, its not like history revolves around us or like we have some huge role in history. Just trying to tell you more of my people's history, because sadly its not written in history books...

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Arkhanson
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 04:02

Romans are the best forget the rest

-------------

Posted By: Gallipoli
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:10
If we are talking about Medieval Warriors, I go for the Turks.

-------------

Posted By: demon
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:12

Spartans

Aztecs

Koreans

EDIT: Forgot the Brazillians!

-------------
Grrr..

Posted By: Gallipoli
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:14

Yeah baby, AMAZONS

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 06:24

Lithuanians

i voted for germans...

Posted By: Keltoi
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 11:07
Other: Celts =)

-------------
Cymru am Byth

Posted By: fastspawn
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 12:13
i cannot in good conscience see a zero vote for mongols in this thread and not vote for them.

I felt they deserved that vote, even though i might not be totally agreeable to the fact that they are the "greatest warriors"

Posted By: Chono
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 13:23
We could be greatest warriors. Besides being able to claim all three things AS mentioned, we also conquered with few numbers large amounts of thingies and controlled those for quite some time in certain places. Who besides us can claim to have fought and won (and also lost a couple times)with almost all peoples that there were? From javans to templar knights. And we certainly do live in one of the most harsh inhabited environments known, contrary to romans. And romans didn't make anyone build the onliest thing built by human hand that can be seen from space.

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 13:37
I agree with my comrade Chono. Well I'm bias!

Posted By: warhead
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 14:27

"And romans didn't make anyone build the onliest thing built by human hand that can be seen from space. "

If you're talking about the great wall, your wrong, first the great wall was not for the mongols, second it cannot be seen from the moon as myth indicate.

Posted By: Kalevipoeg
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 15:34
I voted the Mongols. They were unique from the agrarian civilizations and so are fascinating to me. They were over the larger most of any army and had an advantage of having different battle laws of the "civilized" lands they conquered. They were barbarians and barbarians also conquered Rome. Rome didn't conquer that much compared to the Mongols when you look at the globe. It really is a massive difference. The Romans just had a good administrative system but they hardly conquered so fast, efectively and lost a hole lot a more battles than the Mongols, the last thing is my presumption and i think it is true.

-------------
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 15:44

warhead, would you please tell us why the great wall was built? I had always heard it was to keep the mongols out, but that's just what i've heard, i've never really researched it, so i'm curious to know the real reason why it was built.

I voted for the Greeks.

Posted By: Ptolemy
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 16:14
I voted for the Greeks. Such a long military history.

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 18:24
Ya the Greeks got down and dirty with the best of them, great warriors.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 19:50
Originally posted by MikeP

i'm curious to know the real reason why it was built.

the Wall which began construction by Shihuang, is believed to have been built to keep various nomadic threats at bay including the dangerous Hsiung Nu or "Xiong Nu'' which we have always called them here.These Steppe warriors are the predecessors to the Mongols by a couple millenia.

There are actually many walls not just one.If you take a close look at some of the walls built during the first emperor and during the Han which are much smaller in scale to the Wall built during the Ming Dynasty(the one tourist visit),they hardly serve as deterant and probably more for intimidation purposes.  I believe that the ancient chinese belief that evil travels south from the north served major reason for its construction.

-------------

Posted By: TMPikachu
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 20:53
Originally posted by Gallipoli

Yeah baby, AMAZONS

Hmmm

Mongols conquored everyone.

But Mongols did not conquor the amazons.

So... If mongols>all

and Amazons>Mongols

then Amazons= the best.

But... Ghengis Khan's conquored more women than any other man ever. He's suppost to have more ancestors than any other historic figure alive today. Isn't that true conquest?

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 21:41
No, because you can't say that Amazons > Mongols unless the Amazons conquered the Mongols.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 00:52
Originally posted by TMPikachu

Originally posted by Gallipoli

Yeah baby, AMAZONS

Hmmm

Mongols conquored everyone.

But Mongols did not conquor the amazons.

So... If mongols>all

and Amazons>Mongols

then Amazons= the best.

But... Ghengis Khan's conquored more women than any other man ever. He's suppost to have more ancestors than any other historic figure alive today. Isn't that true conquest?

supposedly Genghis Khan is supposed to have a 1500 offspring. Is that a good enough conquest for you?

Date Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 11:02
 Mongols cant be the "greatest warrior" because half of their basis of fighting consist of running away.    KhanKhan, didnt you have Ghengis`layout on how and when to approach battle on your old Mongol site a couple years ago? Do you still have those?

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 15:11
running away doesnt make you less of a warrior at all, just a smarter one,but when it comes to dumb bravery and needless honor bound combat then my vote is the Japanese.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 10:44
The "Art of Death" by Japan is inspiring

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 14:06
Originally posted by demon

Spartans

Aztecs

Koreans

EDIT: Forgot the Brazillians!

-------------

Posted By: ihsan
Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 15:57

Turks definitially, all the way. Keep in mind that the "Turks" aren't made up of only the Seljuks and Ottomans.

The Great Wall of China's earlier and smaller forms was made by the Warring States to keep both each other and the Hu nomads off from themselves. Later, Qin Shihuangdi united all the existing fortifications against the Xiongnu raids.

-------------
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

http://steppes.proboards23.com - Steppes History Forum

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:52

I don't get what you mean by "warriors."  If you mean who had the best individual warriors, I'd give the honors to the Spartans.

-------------
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 19:32
But most of the wall was built by Ming. I hope they didn't do that for decorative purposes.

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 21:12
Originally posted by Lannes

I don't get what you mean by "warriors."  If you mean who had the best individual warriors, I'd give the honors to the Spartans.

Than vote for the greeks

-------------

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 21:25

Originally posted by kroglu

Than vote for the greeks

I did.

-------------
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 21:47

That is an easy question!  The Vikings! 

Not every warrior can decapitate you with an axe from 20 feet ya know

Date Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 03:17
Originally posted by Huitzilopochtli

That is an easy question!  The Vikings! 

Not every warrior can decapitate you with an axe from 20 feet ya know

Than vote for Germans

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 02:39
For me it was the Romans, but only because the Portuguese were not mentioned.

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: I/eye
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 04:36
yeah, where is the other option?

-------------
[URL=http://imageshack.us]

Date Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 19:25

Originally posted by Catt

Mongols cant be the "greatest warrior" because half of their basis of fighting consist of running away.   

Wrong! You call it "running away", but that was their tactic to fight. The Turks did the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 19:37
dont sweat it koroglu, i was just trying to get a rise out of a particular mongol fan here.

-------------

Posted By: Abyssmal Fiend
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 19:39

1/eye, you can't list every single group of warriors. There's over 300 countries NOW, and there were ALOT more back then. Hell, Greece itself was a bunch of city-states. Athenians, Thebian, Spartans..

But my vote is stuck somewhere between Spartans and Germans. Spartans out of their last heroic stand, Germans cause we have a tendency to dominate. But I'd still say that America has some of the best snipers in the world, and therefore a damn good set of warriors.

But... I guess I'll vote for the Slavs, since Ivan was cool.

Date Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 19:52

Originally posted by Tobodai

running away doesnt make you less of a warrior at all, just a smarter one,but when it comes to dumb bravery and needless honor bound combat then my vote is the Japanese.
I would put them at a tie with the knights of medieval europe.

No, no, the Samurai take second place. At least samurai occasionally used bows.

Hey, where's the french?

*and my Ghengis Khan statement, I meant to say descendants, not ancestors

Posted By: Anujkhamar
Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 06:52
none of the above. you're  forgetting the indians.

come on, spending over a mellenia fighting the muslims and the bristish has got to count for something

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 08:04
hmm, was there any fighting of that sort?

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 08:22

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

come on, spending over a mellenia fighting the muslims and the bristish has got to count for something

I was under the impression that there wasn't much fighting involved when it comes to the British...

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 17:54
Originally posted by Yiannis

I was under the impression that there wasn't much fighting involved when it comes to the British...

That's wat they want you to think

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 19:25
who the hell is voting for chinese and not replying to this thread?

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 19:59

Hey, where's the french?

SORRY, BUT I HAD ONLY 10 OPTIONS

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 20:00

Originally posted by fastspawn

I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION MYSELF!!

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 20:10

I DONT WANT TO PROVOKE YOU....BUT DO YOU REALY THINK 1,50m INDIANS ARE SO DANGEROUS?

-------------

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 20:51

There's probabaly some people rigging the poll by voting multiple times.

-------------

Posted By: Sarmata
Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 21:58
Slavs! now I know they didn't have as long of a record of fighting as romans and stuff, well thatw e know of anyways...but come on these guys got heart when it comes to fighting, they spilled blood with neighbors 10 times greater then themselves, and sometimes fought against themselves...not a lot of ppl are mentioning them so there ya go...
"In general, the Slavs are violent, and inclined to aggression. If not for the disharmony amongst them, caused by the multiplication of factions and by their fragmentation into clans, no people could mach their strength. They inhabit the richest limits of the lands suitable for settlement, and most plentiful in means of support. They are specially energetic in agriculture... Their trade on land and sea reaches to the Ruthenians and to Constantinople... "
-Ibrahim-Ibn-Jakub

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 06:29

I DONT WANT TO PROVOKE YOU....BUT DO YOU REALY THINK 1,50m INDIANS ARE SO DANGEROUS?

Too late, already provoked.

First things first, i'm 1,80m.

secondly, i'm not talking about now, i'm talking bout in the past when everybody was shorter than they are today

Posted By: ihsan
Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 11:54
Kroglu, please don't post in all caps.

-------------
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

http://steppes.proboards23.com - Steppes History Forum

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 18:00

Well I am very surprised Japanese got only 1 vote.

They never lost there homelands...

They won against Mongols!

But I am mainly talking about Japanese warior class Samurai here.

If we include Japanese people generally those farmers pulls them down.

I am gonna go nationalistic a bit here and say Circassians. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 18:17

The best warriors ever? Your opinions....

the english

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 19:33

the best warriors i would say are not on the choices but i would say the spartians

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 19:37

Too late, already provoked.

First things first, i'm 1,80m.

secondly, i'm not talking about now, i'm talking bout in the past when everybody was shorter than they are today

I UNDERSTAND, OK

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 19:40
Originally posted by NartSaga

Well I am very surprised Japanese got only 1 vote.

They never lost there homelands...

They won against Mongols!

Dont forget that the Japanese won that battel at home

-------------

Posted By: warhead
Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 21:47
Japan did lost their homeland to the United States.

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 22:05

Not exactly...

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 03:04

I wish there were just three times less mongols here in forum than chinese or turks...

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 10:23

Not exactly...

but Iwo Jima was considdered part of the motherland by the japanese, that's why they fought so hard to keep it.

edit
ha, Tsushima was also conquered by the Mongols and it was part of the japanese motherland.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:12

I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION MYSELF!!

I voted for the Chinese. Reasons: KUNG FU!
hahah, kidding. Reasons... well, at the beginning of the Ming Empire (right after they threw out the Yuan Mongols) They possessed the world's strongest navy, gigantic 400ft cannon equiped vessels that could sail the globe, built in sectional compartments so if one part of the ship was blown off, the other would remain intact and seafaring.

Of course, right after the first Ming Emperor begins the 600 year rotting of China.

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:23

Hey, where's the french?

... FRENCH? Lmfao. Try and thing up a war they won on their own.

The Albeginian Crusade? Knights against their own countrymen, farmers with pitchforks? What a win!

Because they weren't eradicated in World War I, I won't mark that as either -1 or +1.

Hitler ran them over.

Yes, they did win against a Muslim, as Ihsan so delicately put it, "scouting party" at Tours. The fact they even beat the Muslims is astounding, seeing as they are French.

They would have been eradicted in the Franco-Prussian war, except the Prussians backed off before overrunning Paris and slaughtering everyone. They lost that.

They lost Vietnam, or Indochina. Ever see the French in the scene from We Were Soldiers? They were annihilated. I'll admit, they went European on the damn Viets, and took them out at a 2:1 ratio, but they still were massacred. Gotta love how the trumpet guy got shot in the throat, though. xD Since that scene was so cool, this isn't a -1, which it would have been if France attacked again.

The French lost India and America in compensation to the Brits...

The French mostly loss the Hundred Year's War, they FINALLY tied it up in the end, with cannons. Then again, Henry V was using them long before the French. They weren't too brilliant, were they?

Now, I'm not saying the French are cowards or anything. I just don't think, under any circumstance, that they may be voted the best warriors. Sure, they conquered Europe once, thanks to Napolean. His Empire didn't even last as long as Hitler's.

-------------

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:27

But the french have the fighting spirit of a warrior! Even the crow pecked corpses of the dead were warriors. You don't have to win to fight!
Anyone else would have looong given up with that kind of record behind them.

But no! The French soldier on, with the true indomnitable heart of the warrior!

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:35
Or they were just retarded. Yes, I'll admit, the French were indeed of indominable spirit. Even with the Chevouchee (Is that how you spell it?) led by the English the entire war, the French didn't give up. Then again, we wouldn't have either. We would have grinned, shrugged it off, and whipped your ass on the open fields. Then again, we were fighting for both sides, but mostly the French. "Ich dien!".

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 16:28
Originally posted by SovietJesus

Hey, where's the french?

His Empire didn't even last as long as Hitler's.

I agree with everything here accept the last one.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 16:31

Q: how many men does it take to save paris?

A: nobody knows, becasue it has not been done before!

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 16:40
Originally posted by Temujin

Not exactly...

but Iwo Jima was considdered part of the motherland by the japanese, that's why they fought so hard to keep it.

edit
ha, Tsushima was also conquered by the Mongols and it was part of the japanese motherland.

Hmm... Ok I did not know Mongols got Tsushima from the Japanese. But I still think they are the best...

Kamikaze. Judo (Aikido,Karate...), Fighting till the last man. Killing themselves when they are dishonored, and the rest of Samurai philosopy.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 18:49

I think that's actually pretty retarded, true warriors would never fight till the last man, who else would keep up fighting as Guerillias and ultimately turn the tide? martial arts are also never used in war, keep that in mind, that's just for keeping body and soul in shape and stuff. also most Samurais didn't lived up to their principles, that's Hollywood romance. then, Seppuku is most stupid, being executed by the ruler or suicide is just a minor difference, it's just a prestige-thing...

the only things a warrior needs is pure loyalty to the ruler/commander, a strong will to live, and steel-like discipline.

besides, Samurai never met a real Mongol army, all they did was raiding the anchored fleet with small ship's, and in the first expedition they only met an epeditionary force exhausted by the travel...but I grant them their victory here.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 19:46
thats certainly true, but their definately better warriors than either te Chinese or the SLavs, who have gotten more votes...

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 19:49
I think that was pride getting in the way of honest thinking. I mean, the Chinese had some bad-ass warriors. But they were never just simple fighters, they were usually generals because of their skill. Hell, Lu Bu couldn't lead a battalion into a battle, so they just gave him a bunch of cavalry, three under officers, and told him to go kill stuff. Worked pretty good until he got captured and surrendered. Then he got caught again, and Cao Mengde isn't know for his mercy.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 20:44

yeah, Slav is also a pretty stupid option, it includes both Poles and Russians (as well as others).

I would say in general Japanese and Chinese are equal overall, but regarding the 20th century, Japanese have the lead.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 22:08

Meh... Russia did pretty nicely in the Crimean war, in my opinion. Then again, it was pretty much slaughter on both sides. Not exactly a worthy war.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2004 at 02:55
Originally posted by SovietJesus

I think that was pride getting in the way of honest thinking. I mean, the Chinese had some bad-ass warriors. But they were never just simple fighters, they were usually generals because of their skill. Hell, Lu Bu couldn't lead a battalion into a battle, so they just gave him a bunch of cavalry, three under officers, and told him to go kill stuff. Worked pretty good until he got captured and surrendered. Then he got caught again, and Cao Mengde isn't know for his mercy.

Cao Cao was know for his mercy. if that mercy served him well. E.g. Zhang Liao, who was captured at the same time as Lu Bu.

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 10:12
Originally posted by Temujin

I think that's actually pretty retarded, true warriors would never fight till the last man, who else would keep up fighting as Guerillias and ultimately turn the tide? martial arts are also never used in war, keep that in mind, that's just for keeping body and soul in shape and stuff. also most Samurais didn't lived up to their principles, that's Hollywood romance. then, Seppuku is most stupid, being executed by the ruler or suicide is just a minor difference, it's just a prestige-thing...

the only things a warrior needs is pure loyalty to the ruler/commander, a strong will to live, and steel-like discipline.

besides, Samurai never met a real Mongol army, all they did was raiding the anchored fleet with small ship's, and in the first expedition they only met an epeditionary force exhausted by the travel...but I grant them their victory here.

Right, from what I know the fleets that landed consisted largely of Chinese soldiers. Those Chinese soldiers managed to defeat quite a few Samurai armies before being forced to retreat due to lack of supplies. In their clashes though, it's been recorded that Japanese swords broke on the Chinese armor, and that the Japanese weaponsmiths were impressed by the greater durability of the Chinese sabers (I think they were sabers), copying them and incorporating those designs into the katana. I've also heard that the fierce hand-to-hand combat that ensued was largely responsible from the Samurai's change of focus from mounted archer to sword/spear charger. It was from a website though. A pretty credible website (as the guy who wrote it seemed to know what he was talking about) but neverless not in books. He did cite what books those were though, but I haven't checked them out yet)

and c'mon, anyone who's ever named 6ft swords "Horse killer/chopper sword" has to be cool! Chinese greatswordsmen used as the guys to stop cavalry charges. I think even with the advent of the Ching, there a 'banner' of native Han greatswordsmen.

Hey, aren't Turks descended from the Mongols?

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 17:04
It is a pity that Aztecs were not included in this poll....because they were really brave

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 22:01

No. He was a cold-blooded murderer. Remember that soldier that put the blanket back on him when it feel off at night? He killed him on the spot. He was being pragmatic with Zhang Liao, who was damn good, when he let him live. He knew he couldn't control Lu Bu, so he killed him. Besides, Lu Bu already betrayed Dong Zhuo, the old dude who's name I can't remember, and Yuan Shu.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 09:35

[QUOTE=Temujin]

Hey, aren't Turks descended from the Mongols?

Turks are an older nation than Mongols, so they cant descend from Mongols. They met each other in Mongolia and lived together hundreds of years. Remember that Dschingis (His real mongolian name was Temudschin as you know. Dschingiz  is a Turkish name given by his turkic soldiers, it means ocean, todays anatolian turkish=deniz) Khan (also a turkish title - look at dictionary of foreign words) had more turkish troops than mongolian.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 12:59
OK we cant say one group is the best . Romans were great rulers but why didnt they go into china and fight them. I read some where that a dutch man was in japan in one of there cities and seen all the people  and couldnt understand how so many people where there and the western world didnt know about it. When he asked the samurai  he was told this is a small city compared to kyoto and edo. The samurai told him then that there where more people then all of europe in just those cities and china had more then japan. China tried to attack japan and was defeated and russia was defeated by japan the mongols attacked japan and couldnt do it so dont leave japan out. Now the greeks were great warriors also i cant recall what the war was called but it will come to me after i post this lol but when they fought the persiand they were out numbered by like 10 thousand aND WHEN THE WAR WAS OVER THEY ONLY LOST A FEW HUNDRED MEN AND THE PERSIAND LOST almost there whole army. Now we get into weapons the katana a japanese weapon is one  of the best weapons ever made if you know anything about swords you know this but a good sword with a weak fighter = nothing. you just have to look at everything. I would say the japanese where one of the greatest warriors ever.

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 13:01
i meant persian in my post

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 13:10
Ummm.  I thought that Japan was building a wall around its island when kamikaze saved them from the mongols....?

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 13:16
the wall was really only around Hakata bay, the place where the Mongols seemed obsessed at landing at.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 21:08
Noone votes for Arabs. There must be reasons

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 15:09

Originally posted by Bushido_Warrior

OK we cant say one group is the best . Romans were great rulers but why didnt they go into china and fight them. I read some where that a dutch man was in japan in one of there cities and seen all the people  and couldnt understand how so many people where there and the western world didnt know about it. When he asked the samurai  he was told this is a small city compared to kyoto and edo. The samurai told him then that there where more people then all of europe in just those cities and china had more then japan. China tried to attack japan and was defeated and russia was defeated by japan the mongols attacked japan and couldnt do it so dont leave japan out. Now the greeks were great warriors also i cant recall what the war was called but it will come to me after i post this lol but when they fought the persiand they were out numbered by like 10 thousand aND WHEN THE WAR WAS OVER THEY ONLY LOST A FEW HUNDRED MEN AND THE PERSIAND LOST almost there whole army. Now we get into weapons the katana a japanese weapon is one  of the best weapons ever made if you know anything about swords you know this but a good sword with a weak fighter = nothing. you just have to look at everything. I would say the japanese where one of the greatest warriors ever.

... And? Zhuge Liang ambushed a cavalry group led by some commander who's name I forgot, and slaughtered them all. The commander himself barely got away by using his own men as shields. He lost 50,000 men, and the Shu warriors only lost arrows.

Or how about the Spartans smashing the Persians one by one at Thermopalae? Or the huge defeat at Marathon? You're talking about million man armies being stopped by Greek coalitions. The only difference is the 300 Spartans missed Marathon, and lost Thermopalae, but they did stop the army. Isn't that a win?

Atilla himself lost very few Huns, doubtfully no more than 30,000 in all his campaigns, and that's rather high. He used trash troops, Goths, slaves, whatever he could find.

Genghis Khan used the same style tactic, with the slaves leading, to keep his Mongols alive. So his wins, where he lost only slaves, could be considered flawless, yes?

Your logic is terrible, my friend. Just because Japan won doesn't mean anything. I recall Japan getting it's ass handed to it on a silver platter, Samurai and all, when they went to Korea. Twice, wasn't it? Alot of the great commanders that survived the civil wars were killed in Korea. I notice you didn't mention that.

And the Russians never were great at attacking anything East of them, for some reason. They did great attacking west, Ie, Europe, but didn't do too well with Crimea and the East. Sure, they got both lands, but they lost a hell of alot of men in doing so.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 03:15

the mongols,the romans, and last but not least the vikings......Subatai,Marcus Agrippa,and harald

-------------

Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 06:24

Harald Hadrada? ... But he got killed by Saxons.

Arabs actually conquered a whole chunk of Roman world in a matter of years, and even sieged Byzantium, although they failed because of the chain accross the bay and the Greek Fire.

It took 300,000 Russian soldiers to suppress Chechen rebellion at the end of 20th century... and Chechenya has a population of only around 1,000,000.

I vote Arab just to defy Koroglu (?).

Posted By: white dragon
Date Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 20:47
if u mean single combat i'd have to go with japanese but if u mean group fighters i'd have to go with either romans or greeks

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 01:07

THe list isn't good.

how come the normans and Franks( which should be grouped with the germans) are missing, plus the celts/Gaul. Brennus the Gaul actually sacked romans with his naked army. Since the normans and the Franks are missing, the mongol get my vote

Turks are the best warriors? Nationalism.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 05:21
Turks were good warriors...they even expanded into Austria

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 09:51
Mongols also did.

Posted By: Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 10:01

Originally posted by demon

Turks were good warriors...they even expanded into Austria

Originally posted by Chono

Mongols also did.

And both of them suffered setbacks there.

For the Mongols, it was a minor thing, as they didn't go further anyway.

For the Turks, they failed at two sieges of Vienna, and lost all of their akincis cavalry in the Wiener Wald.

-------------
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 10:03

Originally posted by white dragon

if u mean single combat i'd have to go with japanese but if u mean group fighters i'd have to go with either romans or greeks

The whole "single combat"/"group fighters" thing isn't so black and white.

The Japanese certainly learned how to fight as a group, especially after the two Mongol Invasions.

The Roman legionary worked as part of a unit, but he had to have individual fighting skill too, which was developed through the armatura.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 10:06
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

THe list isn't good.

how come the normans and Franks( which should be grouped with the germans) are missing, plus the celts/Gaul. Brennus the Gaul actually sacked romans with his naked army.

And the Romans pretty much wiped out Celtic culture.

Not to downplay Brennus, but the fact is that the Celts were arguably better fighters when they were recruited into the Roman army--they received standardized equipment and training, and fought in a far more organized fashion.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 19:46

THe list isn't good.

how come the normans and Franks( which should be grouped with the germans) are missing, plus the celts/Gaul. Brennus the Gaul actually sacked romans with his naked army. Since the normans and the Franks are missing, the mongol get my vote

Turks are the best warriors? Nationalism.

You think turks are not the best warriors? Hmm? So why do you say "forte comme Turc" in France

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 20:15

And the Romans pretty much wiped out Celtic culture.

Not to downplay Brennus, but the fact is that the Celts were arguably better fighters when they were recruited into the Roman army--they received standardized equipment and training, and fought in a far more organized fashion.

Well the roman were all equipments despite that they were defeated early by the Gaul who fought naked with just a sword and a shield sometime. Later, with engines of war like the catapult, scorpion etc, the romans managed to defeat the Gaul. But this is because the Celts were not united but fighting a lot btw themselves. They did only wipe the culture but the people in there majority remained celt. Racially speaking celt provided the largest gene of the french perhaps on higher than even the Franks.

You think turks are not the best warriors? Hmm? So why do you say "forte comme Turc" in France 

They were far from the best warior. Fort comme un turc probably come from some of weight lifting sports I think they practice. but certainly not in war,  a barbaric Gaul or germanic would have ripped the head of a Turc with their his hands.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 20:31

Remember that the Turkic HUNS hunted the Germanic. They caused the european emigration of nations in the ancient times

Attila=AlpArslan=GaziOsman=TimurLenk=Atatrk

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 20:33

Remember that the Turkic HUNS hunted the Germanic. They caused the european emigration of nations in the ancient times

The huns were mongoloid not turks, and they were eventually defeated.

Just wondering what are the people that make up the modern Turks and there origin.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 20:43

[quote]You think turks are not the best warriors? Hmm? So why do you say "forte comme Turc" in France 

They were far from the best warior. Fort comme un turc probably come from some of weight lifting sports I think they practice. but certainly not in war,  a barbaric Gaul or germanic would have ripped the head of a Turc with their his hands.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE CRUSADES?!?!

WHO GOT RIPPED?!?! THE NORDIC PEOPLE DIED WRATCHED DEATH IN ANATOLIA

AND ANOTHER POINT..... YOU VOTE FOR THE MONGOLS. BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT DSCHINGIZ KHANS ARMY COMPRISED MOSTLY TURKS

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 20:53

The huns were mongoloid not turks, and they were eventually defeated.

Mongoloid?? They were Turanid!! THE HUNS WERE THE FIRST TURKS

http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/FeaturesEurope/Barbaria nHuns.htm - http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/FeaturesEurope/Barbaria nHuns.htm

English

GOD
POLITICAL POWER
GIRL
WOMAN
HORSETAIL
MAGIC
ARMY
IRANIAN
GO
WOLF
STRONG/THICK
SWORD
COUNTRY

Hunnish

TENGRI*
KUT
KIZ
KATUN
TUG
BY
ORDA
TAT
BAR
BRI
TOK
KILI
EL

Turkish

TENGRI
KUT
KIZ
KATUN/KADIN/HATUN
TUG
BY
ORDA/ORDU
TAT
BAR
BRI/KURT
TOK
KILI
EL

Although in the past the Huns are thought to have been Mongolian emigrants, it is far more likely that they were of Turkic origin. This point has been repeated by thousands of historians, sinologists, turcologists, altaistics, and other researchers. Let me try to state how this idea began with Sinology researchers.

Sinology research in Europe

While the http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/KingListsFarEast/AsiaMongols.htm - Mongol Empire was in the ascendancy, the power of the Catholic Church seemed to be fading, and the power of the http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/KingListsEurope/ItalyPopes.htm - Pope was somewhat shaky. At the same time, the Mongols opened the eastern roads for travel, and the Pope decided that there were now so many evident non-Christians that his power in the West was under severe threat. If he could convert these non-Christians he could regain power. As a result, Jesuit missionaries started to head east. Before spreading Christianity, they researched Chinese beliefs. They examined Chinese history and philosophy. There were some missioners who stayed twenty or thirty years in China, and built up healthy relations with Chinese scholars. They also started to translate Chinese books about both history and philosophy into Western languages. The first translations were made in Portuguese. Then this was translated to the other languages; Spanish, Italian and French. So the West started to learn about China from these Jesuit missionaries.

Sin means China in Latin and Sinology means sciences of China." Sinology mainly started with these translations in the sixteenth century, and Turk history became part of this study. Later, the number of Sinology studies increased with many travellers from the West heading to China. The book written by de Guinness in the eighteenth century is accepted as one of the important collected studies about Turkish history. De Guinness did not know Chinese but he wrote the history of the  http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/KingListsMiddEast/AnatoliaRum.htm - Turks , Mongols and Tartars by using Jesuit missionaries' translations. It was printed under the name of General History of Turks, Tatars and Mongols.

All the information obtained to this point by the researchers showed that the http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/KingListsEurope/BarbarianHuns.htm - Huns were of Turkic origin. We learn nearly all our current knowledge on the Huns from the information left to us by their contemporary neighbours.

For example. It is pretty definite that their language was Turkic. Chinese annals reveals that the Hunnic language was very close to that of the Tles, a Turkic tribe. The http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/KingListsEurope/GreeceByzantium.htm - Byzantine Empire said that the language of the Huns was the same as the languages of the http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/KingListsEurope/EasternBulgaria.htm - Bulgars , Avars, Szeklers (the last of whom were descended from the European Huns themselves - Ed.) and other tribes which were flooding into Eastern Europe from Central Asia. The historians of that period accepted that these Turkic-speaking tribes were no different from the Huns because their languages were the same.

There are many words written in Chinese chronicles which were used by Huns in daily life. These are Turkic words. K Shiratoriy, reading a Hunnic sentence which has survived to the present day, has proven that it is Turkic. Hunnic-runic writings belonging to European Huns in Cafcasia [sic] has been read and has been proven to be of Turkic origin.

One area for backing up this claim is that of Hunnic names. It is difficult to explain the names belonging to Asian Huns because of fact that they were translated into Chinese in the form of Chinese names. The meanings of the names of European Huns can be comfortably explained in Turkish. One of the most striking features related to European Hunnic names is that they can't be explained by any language but Turkish. Some of the names belonged to the German language due to cultural interaction, but the majority of them were Turkish.

I will try to explain some of these:

(a famous hunnic leader) Balamir = Bala (child, kid) + Mir (king)

(the son of Attila) Dengizik = sea storm

(a general) Oniki, known to Europeans as Onegesios, = the number 12

(the son of Attila) Csaba = shepherd

(a Hunnic leader) Atakam = Ata (grandfather, father), Kam = the person who is responsible for the religious rituals (in shamanism)

Eskam = Es = couple + Kam = (as above)

Aybars = Ay = moon (and also the colour white in Turkish) + Bars (or Pars) = leopard, or a wild animal

The author W Bang has proven the name of Attila's wife was Arikan in Turkish in the result on his researches.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 20:58

ppl, turks, mongols, and possibly huns belong to Altaic family, no need to distinguish them so much

----

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 21:09

http://flagspot.net/flags/tr_imp.html - http://flagspot.net/flags/tr_imp.html

http://ron.heavengames.com/gameinfo/nations/turks/turks.shtml - http://ron.heavengames.com/gameinfo/nations/turks/turks.shtm l

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com