Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uyghur song: meshrep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Uyghur Oghli View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uyghur song: meshrep
    Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 20:25
A Uyghur song - "Meshrep" by famous Uyghur singer Abdulla Abdurehim:

http://www.bizuyghur.com/music/50mb/A08-Meshrep.mp3

About "Meshrep":

What is Meshrep?

http://www.meshrep.com/what_is_meshrep.htm

The word Meshrep conveys the meaning of harvest celebration held by peasants after seasons of hard work in the fields. It usually includes feast, single/group singing, music, dancing, joke telling, games, poetry reading, etc. It is held during the fall harvest in the villages across central Asia among Uighur, Uzbek, Turkmen and other Turkic peoples. Villagers organize the 'Meshrep' according to its general rules and most often enriched by the touch of local cultural traditions. Each 'Meshrep' is unique to its own social group depends on the participants age group such as young adults or a mixed group of all ages and genders. Meshrep has certain rules to be followed by the participants. For example, in order to introduce a young adult to a 'Meshrep', the father of the child would bring the child to the 'Meshrep' and make the initial 'formal' request from the 'khazi' (judge), then 'Meshrep' members have to approve the request of the father by accepting the child to join Meshrep. If any member breaks the rule of 'Meshrep', he/she will be 'punished' in a fun and entertaining way. For the punishment to take place, a member usually appeals to the 'court' that a certain individual for breaking the 'Meshrep' rule. For example, he/she did not respect an elderly by saying things that might have hurt his/her feelings, has been drinking alcoholic beverages which is strictly prohibited or the accuser may simply make up a story used as 'evidence' for 'khazi' in the 'orda' (court) who would treat the evidence as an excuse to punish the individual in a fun and comic way.

Translated into the actually event itself, Meshrep is better described as a traditional Uighur entertainment gathering.

'Meshrep' promotes cultural exchanges among people, assists community members to hold successful social events such as holiday celebration, child birth, Hetmetoy (circumcision), wedding, birthdays, children's graduation celebration and all sorts of healthy entertaining events. Meshrep members also assist fellow members in all possible ways by offering help in the event of family sadness such as death and illness. It creates opportunities for people to meet each other and make friends. It prohibits alcohol drinking and promotes healthy merits such as respecting elders, helping less fortunate and unprivileged. Furthermore, it is an entertainment gathering where young and young at heart, men and women, boys and girls gather together to relieve from the daily stress.

Because of its fun and positive nature, the tradition is well respected and widespread among Uighur people not only in villages now days but also in mid to large metropolitan cities among people of all walks of life.

I got this question from an American friend a few days ago:

Quote:
The Chinese websites like to use the word "Maixilaipu" (which is
obviously a Mandarin Chinese word).

Is this Meshrep?

When I do research on the Internet, I can see that the Chinese
government has been very harsh about restricting Meshrep in Xinjiang.
So, why do they talk about Maixilaipu so much for tourists, etc. Why
do they celebrate this dancing if they are going to ban it? Do you
think that maybe "maixilaipu" and "meshrep" are two different things?

This is what they say on the Chinese website:

" When visiting Turpan one can either watch or join in singing and
dancing the "maixilaipu" with friendly Uygurs. While sitting under
trellises laden with grapes and enjoying the sweet fragrance of
grapes, melons and various other fruits wafting through the air,
one is most often entertained by Uygurs singing rousing folk songs to
the accompaniment of a three-stringed dotar."

Does this mean that they do allow Meshreps, or they don't allow? Are
Maixilaipu and Meshreps the same thing?

And this is what I replied to her:

Quote:
"Maixilaipu" is the Chinese way of writing "Meshrep" - they are
technically the same thing - but Chinese officials define Meshrep
differently than local Uighurs do. The Chinese government is perfectly
content when tourists are merely "entertained by Uygurs singing
rousing folk songs to the accompaniment of a three-stringed dotar";
but in an Uighur cultural sense this is only part of the significance
of a Meshrep. A true Meshrep is a traditional community gathering;
while it does contain a good amount of singing and dancing, people
also interact with family and friends, discuss recent and upcoming
community events, and (most alarming to Chinese officials) discuss
politics and relevant social issues. This is the type of Meshrep that
is being suppressed and banned all over the region. To cover up for
this blatant suppression of free speech, Chinese officials make noises
to encourage folk song-and-dance performances by Uighurs, which are
then held up to tourists to be actual "Meshrep" gatherings.

So in other words, the Chinese are happy to smile and nod along
indulgently as long as Uighurs are good little entertainers who keep
western tourists amused, but are ready to slap us down with a firm
hand as soon as we try to exercise our dignity as a people by holding
a traditional social meeting.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh;
but I'm (hopefully) understandably a little bitter over how my people
are being treated on our own land.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 20:27
The rest of the album can be heard here:

http://www.bizuyghur.com/musica/cd.php?cd_id=26&cd_nam e=Tenha+Soygu&singer_id=1&singer_name=Abdulla+Abdure him
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 20:34
Nice but why not put it in the Turkish music forum that everybody seems to ignore

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4040& ; ;PN=3

Edited by JiNanRen
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 06:48
Yes, I agree.
Sultan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 15:30

Originally posted by JiNanRen

Nice but why not put it in the Turkish music forum that everybody seems to ignore

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4040& ; ; ;PN=3

Its Good That You Didnt Say Put In China "Asia Forum" .

Thanks For The Song Uyghur Oghli And The Web Site.

Freedom For The Uyghur Turks.

Edited by Sultan
Turkistan is a door to two worlds,
Turkistan is a cradle of the Turks,
Living in beautiful Turkistan
Is Tengri's blessing to the Turks.

FREEDOM FOR EASTERN TURKISTAN
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 17:22

Com'on Sultan, he isnt such a nationalistly blinded guy. Dont be disrespectful to him, he is generally very sensible and reasonable. And his suggestion was quite right...

Cengiz Kagan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Cengiz Kagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2005 at 17:14
Originally posted by JiNanRen

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4040& ; ; ; ;PN=3

There will be absolutely no racial slurs on this forum.

Consider yourself warned.

And BTW, Oguzoglu, thank you for being a voice of reason.  Much appreciated.

-GJ

Edited by Gubook Janggoon
TANRI TURKU KORUSUN
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2005 at 20:47
can someone ban this guy?
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 08:18
that link is broken or something
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 08:40
Yes, pity, the link doesn't work for me either.

And guys, let's not ban everyone that has something different to say, even if we totally disagree. Freedom of speech, remember?
CARRY NOTHING
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 09:15

the song is pretty cool. i love foreign music. Hungarian, Turkish, Romanian, and now Uyghur!

really post more! of anything, thanks!

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 15:36
Originally posted by Uyghur Oghli

http://www.bizuyghur.com/musica/cd.php?cd_id=26&cd_nam e=Tenha+Soygu&singer_id=1&singer_name=Abdulla+Abdure him

Sorry guys,

The above mentioned link was incorrect. The correct link is:

http://www.bizuyghur.com/musica/cd.php?cd_id=26&cd_nam e=Tenha+Soygu&singer_id=1&singer_name=Abdulla+Abdure him&PHPSESSID=3d037ded3d79683db4ff755ec887e93e

Hi minchickie,

Thanks for enjoying the music. You can download and enjoy the contemporary Uyghur music here:

http://www.forum.uz/showthread.php?t=22380

Regards,

Uyghur Oghli

Aygucu Tonyukuk View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aygucu Tonyukuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 15:58
Originally posted by minchickie

the song is pretty cool. i love foreign music. Hungarian, Turkish, Romanian, and now Uyghur!

Turkish and Uighur musics are not foreign to you.
Turkish History Forum
www.turktarihi.net
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 17:26
Arken Abdulla is very, very popular in China, i have most of his songs both in Uyghur and Chinese.  In fact i'm listening to his "men oley"(spelling) during this post.

Edited by JiNanRen
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 18:03
'Nawa n-Sin Merkizi' is a good C.D.  It's some guy that uses Uygur instruments to play different ethnic music from all over the world.  I don't know his name or any names of songs, everything is written in the Uygur script, except for the name of the C.D.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 18:48
Originally posted by Feramez

'Nawa n-Sin Merkizi' is a good C.D.  It's some guy that uses Uygur instruments to play different ethnic music from all over the world.  I don't know his name or any names of songs, everything is written in the Uygur script, except for the name of the C.D.

Feramez bro,

Nasilsin? Actually, "Nawa n-Sin Merkizi" is the name of the music company that produced the CD. "Nawa n-Sin Merkizi" means "Nava Audio-Video Center" in English, where "n" = "sound, audio", "Sin" = "video". We call video recorder "Sin Alghu" in Uyghur.

Well, most of the links on the www.forum.uz in the previous post look dead, sorry about that. Here is another link for contemporary Uyghur music:

http://music.xabnam.com/

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 19:06
Oh damn, you're right, I see.  Merkez is center in Turkish too, I should've gotten that from that alone, just wasn't thinking I guess.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 02:17
Originally posted by Aygucu Tonyukuk

Originally posted by minchickie

Turkish and Uighur musics are not foreign to you.

Yes i know, by 'foreign' I meant  outside of American since i live here in the states.

Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 03:38

Sorry guys,

The above mentioned link was incorrect. The correct link is:

http://www.bizuyghur.com/musica/cd.php?cd_id=26&cd_nam e=Tenha+Soygu&singer_id=1&singer_name=Abdulla+Abdure him&PHPSESSID=3d037ded3d79683db4ff755ec887e93e

Hi minchickie,

Thanks for enjoying the music. You can download and enjoy the contemporary Uyghur music here:

http://www.forum.uz/showthread.php?t=22380

Regards,

Uyghur Oghli

Ok well i most of the mp3's on that forum are expired EXCEPT for the 7th page. Theres a whole list of that guys songs and i downloaded them all! I love it! If you have more post it please.

If anyone has any songs in anything (except american) post it please. I love to listen to new sounds.

I couldnt find a music page in these forums unless there is one but  i havent seen it yet so just post it here i guess.

Thanks!!

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 11:14
Here's one I go to for Turk music.  http://www.turan.tc/muzik.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>