Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Armies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Which Ancient Army was the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [40.65%]
18 [14.63%]
32 [26.02%]
2 [1.63%]
1 [0.81%]
20 [16.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Armies
    Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 12:25
Heraclius Im with you on this one. Janissary just stop bouncing around from Greeks to Goths and Persians. 
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 12:44

Heraclius, if you want to claim an alleged superiority of Legion against Phalanx, the battle of Cynoscephalae isnt certainly the best example of this.

Philip V strategic mistakes were not just A reason Roman Legions won but they were the exclusive factor of Macedonian defeat.

Firstly, Philip knows that the terrain of Cynoscephalae is unfavourable for his army, yet he chooses to engage his army into a battle.

Secondly, as been pointed before, he makes the fatal mistake to engage with only a part of his force while his left flank was still marching.

Thirdly, the phalangites on the left flank tried to catch up with the rest of the charging army as historic sources point out "having noone to give them orders". This point clearly indicates a break in the Macedonian chain of command. Meaning another mistake of Philip's leadership. 

Following all these Leadership mistakes, its even safe to conclude that Cynoscephalae was a battle destined to be a defeat for Macedonians under these circumstances.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 10:14

ok, Rome, U think I am fighting here????

Oh men, u are deadly wrong

I can list u Heraclius 2 times bigger scedule that rOme lost

I did not said that Filip the Arab was killed by persians, but he lost the battle against them

Ok, if there is so many loses, why u decided that Rome army was great????Grrek never was imperialist, but it had the most strongest army of its time, when even there was not Celts or Germans

But Roman guys were not stronger or better that Persian, German, Celt, Numidian or Huns, and especially Chinese

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 10:24
Originally posted by Janissary

ok, Rome, U think I am fighting here????

Oh men, u are deadly wrong

I can list u Heraclius 2 times bigger scedule that rOme lost

I did not said that Filip the Arab was killed by persians, but he lost the battle against them

Ok, if there is so many loses, why u decided that Rome army was great????Grrek never was imperialist, but it had the most strongest army of its time, when even there was not Celts or Germans

But Roman guys were not stronger or better that Persian, German, Celt, Numidian or Huns, and especially Chinese

You gave your list and then said something to the effect of "these are great Roman generals who died at the hands of Goths and Persians" your words not mine.

Phillip the Arab didnt die at the hands of either, neither died many others you listed, infact some of it is purely made up from what I can see.

Rome conquered the vast majority of celts, conquered the numidians, survived the huns (and later used them as mercenaries), skirmished and waged war with Persia for centuries and the Germans and never even met a Chinese army, so what your trying to prove here I have no clue.

The Persians never came close to conquering the Roman empire, it was barely powerful enough to take the eastern provinces, Armenia, Mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine etc, but never much more beyond that. Everytime it took those territories from Rome or Byzantium it lost them again.

The Greeks were never imperialists ok so what do you call the empire of Alexander the great?

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 20:17

Are u crazy?????

Man, I meant greeks during Persian and Peloponnes war

And also, It was no Greek at all, It was Macedonians

I think u know that

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 20:53

I'm still waiting for you to explain your list of "great roman generals" who died at the hands of the goths or persians?

Did you just read the fates of many of those men wrong or did you just make them up like im starting to suspect?

Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 21:46

ok

Scipio Aelianus-lost 60 000 men against Numantians-137 b.c.

149b.c. Numidian king Jugurta defeated Romans and captured 40 000 men and then sold them back to rome

The Battle of Arausio-105 b.c.-Teuton Germans defeated more than 80 000 legioners with same tactics in Cannae

Gordian-244 a.d.

Dura Europus-255a.d.

Valerian-260a.d.-Both 3 were defeated and destroyed with their army only by Shapur

The battle of Celtiberians-137 b.c.

Romans were defated by Numantians-II battle

All Great LEADERS-Virathus, Lusitania, Arminius, defeated together more than 5 Roman armies and were killed by their own men becouse Romans paid them

Vercingetorix-Defeated Ceasar-Undefeatable Ceasar (Well, I know, then Ceasar defeated him, but whatever)

149b.c.-Thracians defeated romans, killed all of them and cut the head of their commander and sent to senate as a Present of result of Grat and Powerfull Roman Legions

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 21:59
Originally posted by Rome

Rome by far had the best army of all time because of its organization and discipline and the fact that from the second century B.C. through the second century A.D. it domanated three continents (Europe, Asia, and Africa). 

true but that dosnt mean they were beter         & nbsp;         

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 23:44
Originally posted by Janissary

ok

Scipio Aelianus-lost 60 000 men against Numantians-137 b.c.

149b.c. Numidian king Jugurta defeated Romans and captured 40 000 men and then sold them back to rome

The Battle of Arausio-105 b.c.-Teuton Germans defeated more than 80 000 legioners with same tactics in Cannae

Gordian-244 a.d.

Dura Europus-255a.d.

Valerian-260a.d.-Both 3 were defeated and destroyed with their army only by Shapur

The battle of Celtiberians-137 b.c.

Romans were defated by Numantians-II battle

All Great LEADERS-Virathus, Lusitania, Arminius, defeated together more than 5 Roman armies and were killed by their own men becouse Romans paid them

Vercingetorix-Defeated Ceasar-Undefeatable Ceasar (Well, I know, then Ceasar defeated him, but whatever)

149b.c.-Thracians defeated romans, killed all of them and cut the head of their commander and sent to senate as a Present of result of Grat and Powerfull Roman Legions

You said Goths and Persians  now your mentioning gauls, celt-iberians and numantians etc?

Besides you said generals who were killed in battle against goths and persians  these other battles have absolutely no relevance whatsoever. Besides Spain was conquered as was Gaul and Numidia and Thrace the Germans were crushed afterwards in battles I earlier showed you.

I'm getting bored of reminding you of your own point, generals KILLED in battle against the GOTHS and/or PERSIANS, thats what you said.

Gordian, Phillip the Arab, Valentinian etc were not killed in battle against either of them, so your info is either faulty or you just plain lied.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 14:37
I have read through the whole of this topic and see that there have been some excellent points raised. However i believe there is one key nation missing from the discussion ; The Huns

Is not the point of war to protect ones own ethnicity, ones own way of life and ones own beliefs. I ask you then, were the Huns ever ruled? undoubtdley not.

I believe the key strength of the huns lies in the fact that they were nomadic. They had no true static centers(cities) therefore all that they were and are is maintained through the existance of their people their nation. Where as Rome relied upon static sources and static centers the Huns had flexibility, fluidity and security in the way in which they lived. This was represented in their armies, which were essentially an agressive representation of their nation. Nomadic armies, able to stay on the move for countless days, weeks. Able to retreat in the same fashion, they are to me and ancient representation of what we belive war to be today; Lightning. The ability to move, to launch instant attacks, and most importantly the ability to survive.

I do not state that the Huns would beat the likes of Gaius Julius Ceasers' legions in battle, nor Augustus'. But i believe the Huns would never be 'Ultimately' defeated by the romans or any other ancient civilisation for that matter.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 20:48
But i believe the Huns would never be 'Ultimately' defeated by the romans or any other ancient civilisation for that matter.

Why do you say this, the Huns could not finish off the Romans when they were a shell of themselves and had one foot in the grave? Rome in its prime would have destroyed the Huns.
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 22:07

Gordian, Phillip the Arab, Valentinian-exactly from the book that says that Rome is Great-They were died in the land of Shapur I

I think u should learn something about Huns, just becouse they created 4 great empires which shaked the world, I understand u, It is hard to find a book, but u can find from Inernet, dear Eagle, Bold Eagle

I think it was Pope Leo 4th who came in fron of Attila and asked not to destroy Rome

I never in this topic told that Huns were great, usually I named Persians, Hispanians, Africans and German tribes

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 22:55

Then that book is wrong, Gordian I commited suicide after his son Gordian II was killed in battle in North Africa during a civil war in 238.

Gordian III is claimed by the Persians to have died in battle, however it is far more likely that after Gordian III was defeated a mutiny within the Roman army was stirred up by Phillip the Arab and Gordian III was executed, although some sources claim it was illness. At the very least the cause of his detah is widely open to debate and will probably never be known.

Phillip the Arab was killed in battle against Decius in another civil war in 249.

Valentinian I died from almost certainly a heart attack or something very similar when he was angered by a German delegation.

Valentinian II either commited suicide or was murdered by Arbogast and Valentinian III was murdered by loyal supporters of the general Aetius.

Suffice to say most if not all of those men did not even die in Persian territory, nevermind at the hands of the Persians and certainly not all in Shapurs time.

The Huns being greater than Rome is pure fantasy anyway, the Romans contributed infinitely more to the world and land they inhabited than the barbarian Huns ever did. The Huns couldnt even destroy the Roman empire when practically bankrupt, without an effective army of its own and led by incompetants or raving lunatics. The Romen empire lasted over 1400 years in various shapes forms and names you could even include the holy roman empire in that and say 1800 years, the empire of Attila lasted a tiny fraction of that and in that time contributed barely a thing in comparison.

If the army of Attila the Hun was so amazing, then surely it would have smashed the Roman-Germanic alliance at Chalons and overrun the western empire with ease.

Edited by Heraclius
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 20:07
"the Romans contributed infinitely more to the world and land they inhabited than the barbarian Huns ever did"

I would like to pick up on this statement, in many ways i understand your angle. And i'm sure this statement would be widley accepted by most, however i believe it to be a pure matter of interpretation. One could say that the romans contributed and built upon the land they conqoured another could say they destroyed the land they conqoured. I say; what use is a bath or spa to a man who does not know of sanitation, what use is education to the humble fool, what use is a road to the man who does not wish to travel. Did the 'barbarians' need civilisation, i believe not. I ask you what is more beautiful, more amazing more complex a flowing stream or the M25? Yes the Romans brought buildings, they brought culture and religion, they brought art and literature. But is this a great contribution to mankind? Perhaps, perhaps not. What is truly amazing and worthwhile is what is on this earth already. And i believe the Huns harmony with nature itself puts them on a different level, a whole new class.

Ok I will agree, the 'Huns' is a very lucid term but here i mainly refer to the European Huns anything post Xiong Nu and Pre Red Huns. The history and relation of the various groups of Huns is never totally clear, but what we can establish is that throughout history there has been an eastern Steppe Force encroaching on Europe; Ranging from the much discussed Attila to the world renound Chinggis Khan.

Before discussing the face off between the romans and Huns it is importatn to look at how far the huns had actually come to engage in combat with the romans, to understand their previous achievements.

Around 370 A.D. the Huns moved west and destroyed the neighboring Alans. They the drove further westward and destroyed the Ostrogothic kingdom of Eramanarich, Which in all honesty sent shivers down the spine of Europe. At the same time, another Hun force crossed the Caucasus and invaded Armenia, reaching all the way to Syria. When the huns reached the borders of europe it is important to note that Aetius asked for their assistance in the roman conquest in the west. In which the Huns were praised as some of the most skilled and ferocious fighters on earth.

Now i am no fan of listing victories but i see it necesseray to the view of getting across my point, let me draw you to the destruction of the following cities;(440AD) Margus, Singidunum, Viminacium (443AD)Sardica, Philippopolis, and Arcadiopolis

Then we have the defeat of the Imperial Army at constantinople and perhaps finally the victory at Chersonesus

We also understand that he destroys 70 Thracian cities.

But these are not the things i boast, what i see to be the ultimate recognition of Attil
la and his Huns is that he sought peace, he destroyed the civilisation he so obveously detested and rather than taking land took tribute and peace, wanting to live in harmony.

Yes we all know the tragic ending to Attilas story, but i believe although he did not leave strong heritage he left alot more. An example, of a great leader of men, a great individual warrior and a man true to his soul and true to his ancestory.

I can already hear your crys that he only defeated a weak roman empire...A bankrupt roman empire. But i remind you wahtever your claim he did enjoy countless victories over the romans, the battle mentioned between Romo-Gauls and the huns and various allies was a stalemate up untill the murder of the Visigoth king Theodoric. Who knows what the outcome may have been if such an even hadnt intervened.

None the less i hope i have inspired you enough to consider the huns for this poll, they i agree were never a real set united nation, but more of a hurricane, in and out in a short period of time but massively effective!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 21:17

Very good post Eagle , shame Janissary was incapable of posting something of similar quality on the Huns or infact anything.

I'll consider my reply and post it later.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 07:47
I have said it once, I have said it twice, I will say it again. Attila turned away from Rome because he was incapable of capturing it, not because Leo grovelled.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:49

I have to agree with Constantine there, its pure fantasy to believe that Attila the Hun would pay a blind bit of attention to the pope, why on earth would a pagan be deterred from his prize purely because of a leading figure in a church that was totally foreign to him.

Attilas army was suffering from its own success, ravaging the land made it impossible to live off it for any length of time, disease was setting in and I believe the eastern empire (unsure of the details) had launched an expedition into Hunnic territory along the Danube. With his territory now under serious threat it would of been foolish to remain in Italy with all these factors added together.

Eagle. I understand what you mean about Rome bringing along a culture that many of the conquered may well have had no interest in, but evidently the conquered did enjoy and like what the Roman brought with them on the whole.

The baths were always full, the arenas packed with spectators, they will have enjoyed the security Rome offered, the freedom from marauding bands looting settlements and land at will. This was in the good old days of course, the days of the pax romana when the Roman empire existed in as long a period of peace as much of europe probably ever has.

There were rebellions every now and then of course, but the Roman army was at its peak and the empire was overall a safe and secure place to live and prosper.

Surely more preferable than the way for example the Gauls used to exist, tribes that were almost as often fighting each other as any external enemy, squabbling and waging war. I doubt many who grew up in Gaul under the Roman empire will have envied the life style of their forefathers over the one they had now.

As a westerner, being brought up in a society where art, literature, architecture are highly valued, i'm bound to frown at the way the Huns used to live and treat these things. No respect whatsoever for anybody they encountered, conquering it would seem purely for the sake of conquest, to feed their lust for loot or land before moving on to the next unfortunate target. If you were lucky enough to survive the latest Hunnic raid, then you found your city was probably gutted and everything you and your people have built has been wiped out in an orgy of looting and destruction.

I thoroughly believe that the Huns deserve to be called barbarians, I don't see or maybe understand how Attila was seeking peace how can somebody sack as you say 70 Thracian cities and then be a man seeking peace and harmony? You can say something similar about Rome, but even Rome didnt go around conquering purely for the sake of it, they had to think of the cost in funds and manpower, the politics, what effect this would have on the empire, the conquered, how they would rule/control the newly conquered lands etc. The Huns didnt have to consider barely any of this, as they rarely stuck around long enough to get overly involved.

The Romans were obviously far from saints, but atleast they offered something after they had taken whatever it was they wanted, the Huns seem to have brought nothing but chaos in their wake, that left no lasting legacy or major contribution.

Had the Huns conquered the west I dare say if there is an argument over whether or not there was a *dark age* there wouldnt be, had the Huns stuck around, since the Huns had no interest in Roman culture or civilisation as we know it I see no real reason why western europe wouldnt have become a cultural desert. As the Huns swept aside the tottering Roman empire and crushed the Germanics who by now lived within it and were atleast partly romanised.

I think the Roman culture did little else but benefit the people in the empire, I don't see how western europe for example would of progressed had it been under the rule of nomads and the *uncivilised*.

I dont profess to be an expert on the Huns, I admit that being a westerner i'm certain to see things in a somewhat biased manner, I don't hate the Huns and I don't think the Romans were perfect superhumans who did no wrong. I just know who i'd rather be ruled by and whos culture i'd rather have existed in and which benefited the people most, I believe the people of the day felt very much the same as me.

The fighting ability of the Huns I dont doubt, but still I find it odd how the Huns could conquer many a Germanic tribe etc then come against a coalition of bitter enemies no stronger than anybody they had conquered before and yet failed. Attila apparently this great leader and commander failed to push aside this army which probably had barely a true Roman in it.

I have far more respect for Aetius who for many years had worked constantly to keep the empire on its feet, he had the help of the Huns but he was clearly a thoroughly good commander who tried everything to keep Rome up. The fact he was later assassinated by a total incompetant like Valentinian III is both tragic and infuriating in its stupidity. Just my opinion anyway.

You seem to know far more than me on the Huns, so please let me know if i've made any glaring mistakes so i can avoid doing the same in the future and so learn more about the Huns.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 14:03
Heraclius may i first commend you on an outstanding reply, both informative and highly opinonated. In the end i believe this is going to be a topic we will both interpret in our own individual manner, perhaps due to our different views on culture and society. I'm sure we can both appreciate the relative highs and lows of the the two nations we have been discussing.

I would like to add a few comments to out previous discussions about the battle of Chalons, and post battle of Chalons, of an unbiased nature merely to hopefully be informative:

Attila actually was on the retreat when he first engaged in battle with Aetius near Chalons. Due to the fact that he had come up against unexpected resistance whilst sieging Orleans.

The hunninc army contray to popular belief by this point did consist of mainly infantry units, although cavalry still had its place. This was due to the fact that the huns had really start to settle down on the Great Hungarian Plain, which made the Huns alot less nomadic thus giving alot less room for their massive armys of horses.

The battle although early i stated as a stalemate is mostly recognised as a roman victory, however i feel Attilas heart was not really in the battle and he already had his mind on retreat. However as far as casualties went it seems to be a quite convincing draw.

After the battle the Huns returned to northern Italy again, ravaging lands and causing devestation everywhere they went. Aetius however could not muster the support he had for Chalons due to the simple and obveous fact that Germanians, Franks and Burgundians had no want to fight in northern Italy, unless it was against the romans. AS you said it was only due to a plague amongst the Huns and famine in Italy that the Huns retreated (highly unlikley to be anything to do with Pope Leo)

Hopefully that has been informative and helpfull, i would also like to agree with you in your respect for Aetius as far as my knowledge of the romans goes i see him to be the last of the great roman generals.

I would appreciate it if i could use you as a source of information on the romans in future, for you seem to be very well informed. If i am not mistaken.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 16:52

Again thank you Eagle for your kind compliments.

I'm often unsure how to look at Chalons I have seen so many different versions of the battle so many numbers of casualties etc that it is incredibly difficult to paint a clear picture, its just one of those battles that is open to interpretation.

As a battle is was a draw, it seems both sides suffered huge casualties, fought incredibly hard even though the sources are exaggerated there is no doubt that the ferocity of the combat was extreme. However if we are to believe the general account of the battle, Aetius did have the chance to finish the Huns off, but decided the Huns were useful as a counter-weight. To remove the one thing that was uniting the fractured western empire in a common cause would be suicidal for an empire that otherwise would be attacked from all sides.

Assuming this is true, then I think Aetius made the right decision and had he lived longer perhaps he could of kept the empire afloat, anyway thats not important.

Yes I believe plague played a major role in Attilas retreat from Italy, however i've watched a couple of programs on the history channel lately, referring to this. Is it not possible, that the heavy casualties Attila suffered at Chalons made it impossible to both campaign in Italy and defend his base in Hungary?

Had Attilas army not been threatened by plague and famine, but his base was under attack I think he may have abandoned the campaign anyway to defend his territory which was under attack from the eastern empire, ill search for a source to back this up. Anyway I am sure that the eastern Emperor Marcian had eventually sent troops to Italy to help the west making the capture of Rome even more hazardous for Attila, so there were many things to take into consideration.

I certainly will agree with what Aetius is often called "the last of the Romans", so I very much respect Aetius as much as I do any other Roman/Byzantine general.

Well if you want to use me as a source of knowledge of the Romans then i'd be happy to offer you anything I can help with, i'm far from an expert obviously but my knowledge is growing everyday so I cant be half bad .

The same to you on the Huns, I oughta know more about eastern cultures and empires etc than I do, so I hope to learn more about them in the future.

Lord Pork View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Lord Pork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 17:23

ok after studying the chines military for 2 or more hours i have decided that the Romans will be victories in the end......the roman economical power was much more stronger then the chines.....so yes the chines had the crossbow witch could made some good damage on the roman army....but roman ingenuity and the power to adopt to a new type of warfare would probably kick ass....pulse the Chinese still used chariots as a main mobile force witch really lacks the agility needed to fight roman army......and the roman had a professional army witch was much more experienced then the Chinese witch was drafted only for 2 years.

look at this its.....its beutiful....

chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>> 

When the situation is obscure, attack !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>