Print Page | Close Window

Ancient Armies

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mesopotamia, Near East and Greater Iran
Forum Discription: Babylon, Egypt, Persia and other civilizations of the Near East from ancient times to 600s AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4233
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 06:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ancient Armies
Posted By: Rome
Subject: Ancient Armies
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 02:52

Rome by far had the best army of all time because of its organization and discipline and the fact that from the second century B.C. through the second century A.D. it domanated three continents (Europe, Asia, and Africa).                    

Replies:
Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 03:17

Yes Augustus mad Rome a super power when he had to make a peace with Phraates after the disgraceful defeat of Mark Antony in Battle of Phraaspa, as you know Mark Antony began a campaign against the Parthians in 33 BC. His army numbered more than 120,000 men, including no less than forty thousand cavalry whenas Phraates could collect only thirty thousand men. Roman general was defeated in this battle definitely and had to retreat after losing fifty thousand of his best troops.

It also said that the return of the Roman standards captured by Orordes in the more disgraceful Battle of Carrhae (53 BC) was a victory celebrated by Rome with numerous honors for Augustus.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 12:29

Rome would woop any asian army in its path during the time of Augustus.

-------------

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 13:48
a Chinese army would probably beat the Romans though i don't know a whole lot about Chinese armies back then

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Posted By: Virgil
Date Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 22:44
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Yes Augustus mad Rome a super power when he had to make a peace with Phraates after the disgraceful defeat of Mark Antony in Battle of Phraaspa, as you know Mark Antony began a campaign against the Parthians in 33 BC. His army numbered more than 120,000 men, including no less than forty thousand cavalry whenas Phraates could collect only thirty thousand men. Roman general was defeated in this battle definitely and had to retreat after losing fifty thousand of his best troops.

It also said that the return of the Roman standards captured by Orordes in the more disgraceful Battle of Carrhae (53 BC) was a victory celebrated by Rome with numerous honors for Augustus.

To be fair, the Romans pushed the Parthians out of Syria in 39 BC, killing the king's son Pacorus. They also forced the Parthians and a rebel Roman commander out of Asia Minor. They began to learn how to deal with the Parthians. In the 1st century, under Carbulo, forced them to come to a treaty over Armenia. Under Trajan, Marcus Aurelius and Severus they sacked the Parthian capital three times in a century. Everyone remembers Carrhae, they tend to forget the Romans ended up giving the Parthians as many headaches as the Parthians gave them.

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 23:46
The Chinese had superior logistics and technology, as well as a greater supply of manpower, over any of these other civilizations. I would say the Romans could give them a fair fight but they would be hard pressed to win enough victories to force an armistice. On the other hand, the Chinese would not have been able to conquer all of Rome, despite the superior logistics and technology. In a battle where the capablities of singular Roman and Chinese armies were deployed to the fullest, the Chinese would have won.

-------------

Posted By: giani_82
Date Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 10:20

Originally posted by vulkan02

a Chinese army would probably beat the Romans though i don't know a whole lot about Chinese armies back then

At some point they had a great use of chariots (till 3-2 century B.C. before cavalry was introduced). About 3 men were on the chariot - driver (or however it's named), an axe yeilder or a spearman and bowman. Later chu-ko-nu made quite an impact because 10 arrows could be reloaded faster than a regular bowman would do that. And still the chinese warfare counts much on archery, and Romans would have difficulty countering it. A constant turtle formation is probably going to work, yet the units wouldn't see a charging melee army all that well, don't know it's all a fantasy poll anyway - may be it's best solved in pc games (Rise of nations, Empire Earth II).

-------------
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius

Date Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 17:17
Originally posted by giani_82

...And still the chinese warfare counts much on archery, and Romans would have difficulty countering it. A constant turtle formation is probably going to work, yet the units wouldn't see a charging melee army all that well, don't know it's all a fantasy poll anyway - may be it's best solved in pc games (Rise of nations, Empire Earth II).

Don't forget that the Romans integrated a large number of archers, both mounted and foot, into their auxiliaries. The notion that the legions were suceptible to attack by archers is due to a large part to the fiasco at Carrhae.  Legions in the principate contained large numbers of archers who were arrayed in various configurations depending on the enemy, terrain, etc.  The foot archers were recruited from Crete and Syria, while the mounted archers were often Scythian.  I've read of Parthian units in the Roman auxiliaries fighting in Germany, although I can't remember the source.

Date Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by Belisarius

The Chinese had superior logistics and technology, as well as a greater supply of manpower, over any of these other civilizations. I would say the Romans could give them a fair fight but they would be hard pressed to win enough victories to force an armistice. On the other hand, the Chinese would not have been able to conquer all of Rome, despite the superior logistics and technology. In a battle where the capablities of singular Roman and Chinese armies were deployed to the fullest, the Chinese would have won.

Good post, although I disagree with the final sentence. Roman legions were usually much more balanced undertakings than the infantry only formations people envision, with cavalry, archers and light infantry auxiliaries.  This can make it frustrating to envision the typical Roman army on the move since it was dependent on the auxiliaries available, the frontier and the enemy encountered. After ten years in the military I'm less a believer in the "well the name-your-army compound bow can fire 1,000 meters and penetrate..." school of military analysis than in the influence of effective training, chain of command at all levels and flexibility, which is why I think so highly of Roman armies in general. 

Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 06:29
  I would say that yes the roman army could beat the Chinese and that the chinese did have many archers and thats how they fought but Rome drilled its armies practiced with them and they had beater decipline then the Chinese. The Chinese never had a full time Pro army.

-------------

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 09:47
what about babylonian army and assyrian army

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 14:07

There to weak

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 16:55

Did any European army ever defeat a Roman army in a pitched battle from 150BC - 150AD?

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 19:07
 Yes the gauls deafeated Ceasar a few times and also the Romans lost the battle of Teutonburg forest to the Teutons, but only because the Romans had a bad leader and it was a ambush.

-------------

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 19:49
Originally posted by Rome

I would say that yes the roman army could beat the Chinese and that the chinese did have many archers and thats how they fought but Rome drilled its armies practiced with them and they had beater decipline then the Chinese. The Chinese never had a full time Pro army.

Erm...

1.  The Chinese army (Let's say Han dynasty) wasn't simply archer based.
2.  Roman amies had better discipline?  What's your source or basis for that, other than what would seem like a major bias?
3.  The Chinese never had a full time Pro army?  I beg to differ.

There's a similar thread at CHF if ya'll are interested.  It focuses more on a potential conflict between Rome and the Han Dynasty.  I think everyone's tried to be fair, but be prepared to encounter some bias.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=185

-------------

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 20:34

I think everyone's tried to be fair

Riiight.

About as fair as the users on a Roman History Forum I visit were being when they came up their Rome vs Han scenario.

-------------
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;

Posted By: charles brough
Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 21:12

Perhaps more consideration should be made to WHEN the various armies are compared because their fighting power changed over the course of time.  This is an important consideration if real accuracy is being sought.  The Roman military did finally grow static and crumble.  So, it was not a very good fighting machine after it became Christianized.  Christians were not then particularly fierce fighters!

Also, the Macedonian army was far superior to the Persian army but only because by then the Persion civilization was in decline.  The Chinese military machine underwent similar gyrations or cycles with each dynasty.  Its strength depended upon the condition of the Chinese faith and society at the time.  When a society becomes corrupt, the army draws upon mercenaries and compulsion.  It fills with deadbeats and dropouts.  It becomes a big mass of fighters who are quick to find a reason to retreat.    Frankly, to me it is far more interesting to analyze this and why armies change in strengh than it is just to say, arbitrarily, that one was better than the other.

When this is all taken into consideration, it might tell us something out our own military future . . .

charles

http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com - http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com

Date Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 21:13

Ok there is a chance that the Han could have beaten the Romans, but still the Romans were not weak like how the people at the Chinese forum portray them, they are a war machine that could beat a Chinese army but they probably couldent march all the way to China and just conquer it because of Parthia and the other central asian cultures. Rome still had more discipline and organization then the Chinese. Also I know that the Han dident just have archers they also were very good Cavalry men.

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 21:59
I was researching Shi Huang De and apparantly the Chinese armies of the 220s BC were still using chariots (by that time very outdated in the West) and still used typically bronze armor. The Romans if i recall correctly had moved on to using superior iron armor. If you were to place Rome and China side by side then of course China would win thanks to vastly superior manpower, but man for man I am not so sure the Chinese armies had vastly superior equipment. Indeed, during the Warring States period many of the soldiers used were conscripted peasants (though the Chinese states all had a professional core of full time soldiery). The Roman soldier was meant to be a full time professional who served for about 20 years.

-------------

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 22:57
If Roman armies and Chinese armies met on a battlefield, just fighting, not conquering since China and Rome/Italy are too far, I would say Rome, because it had a variety of different soldiers it could gather throughout the empire, while the Chinese could not have such a variety. Manpower is not all in battle, perhaps if the greatest Roman leaders could lead the army, I do not believe the ywould loose.

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Posted By: TheodoreFelix
Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 00:01
Depends on the ground. Didnt Chinese armies relly heavily on cavalry? If so, then would would get woomped in a flat plain.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 00:41

Perhaps hiring phallanx units as well, that would put a stop to most calvary charges in some areas.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:50

co-ordinated units of missile cavalry supported by light cavalry could disperse phallanx.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:53

use 1/4 of fast shooters from front, flank with 3/4 and rain arrows, keep light cavalry 50 yards hidden behind, if enemy cavalry charges, disperse and make room for light cavalry to hit enemy cavalry.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 13:55

The best army Arminious army of totoun they cruhed roman army led by Varous in Germania 9 A.D .

Hannibal too becmame very close to destroy rome but this is the fate saved rome when Nero found  letter between Hasdrobal and Hannibal by it he know the tactic of Hamlecar's  sons.

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 14:05

There to weak

what you mean too weak you are kidding how could you say that meopotamian armies such as Akkadian,Assyrian,Chaldean  were trong armies Akkadian found the first empire in the world   Assyrian made an empire from Iran to Egypt  and defeated Egyption army on the Nile and you tell me they were weak

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 16:32
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

There to weak

what you mean too weak you are kidding how could you say that meopotamian armies such as Akkadian,Assyrian,Chaldean  were trong armies Akkadian found the first empire in the world   Assyrian made an empire from Iran to Egypt  and defeated Egyption army on the Nile and you tell me they were weak

That was hundreds of years before Roman Empire, at the time of the Roman Empire, they weren't very strong. Weren't some of Mesopotamia in the Selucid Empires hands?

-------------

Posted By: ramin
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:00
in fact, from Babylonian Empire we haven't seen any kingdom ruled by Akkadians/Assyrians or Chaldeans. Ahmed, unfortunately you are misunderstanding the definition of this topic!

-------------
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:21
btw, who voted for Persians 7 times?! I'm amazed Greeks didn't participated in this poll.

-------------

Posted By: Ardashir
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:31
I voted to Persia,what is your problem ramin?

-------------
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com

Posted By: Ardashir
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:32

Hey ramin jan,picture jadide man chetore?

ی

-------------
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:58
I didn't vote. and Your avator is not nice.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 15:13
assyrian army

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 16:26

Originally posted by ramin

I didn't vote. and Your avator is not nice.

wat is it?

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 16:54
it's Saudi Arabia's national flag, and it reads something like "God and only this God" maybe some Arabs can help you read it. anyway, he replaced the word Allah with a locust.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 18:47

Originally posted by ramin

btw, who voted for Persians 7 times?! I'm amazed Greeks didn't participated in this poll.

In my opinion a properly lead Khosro Parviz era Sassani army would pwn.

-------------

Posted By: minchickie
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 20:33
The Romans had way too much stuff to lug around.  The Huns easily caused chaos and had little problems defeating them.

-------------

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 22:33

Originally posted by strategos

Weren't some of Mesopotamia in the Selucid Empires hands?

In fact, all of it fell into Seleukid hands in the 3rd C. BC.

-------------
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;

Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 14:30

That was hundreds of years before Roman Empire, at the time of the Roman Empire, they weren't very strong. Weren't some of Mesopotamia in the Selucid Empires hands?

[/QUOTE]

I know that before hundred years but Egypt too in that time under potelomy dynaty .where is your point .

This topic about all ancient era is it or not?

-------------
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 14:32

I know that before hundred years but Egypt too in that time under potelomy dynaty .where is your point .

This topic about all ancient era is it or not?

[/QUOTE]

Well because Mesopotamian armies 200-300 years earlier would be smashed by the Roman armies. Someone said they were too weak, and in truth, they could not beat out a well lead Roman Army.

-------------

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 17:21
I would say Rome with Persia (Parthian or Sassanid) on a close second. Carthage, Egypt and Greece all had their prime, but it was over with the rise of Rome.

As for the ancient Mesopotamien armies, they must have been among the most powerful in the world, perhaps the most powerful during their glory days. Assyrians certainly weren't weak, as some seem to claim. Back then they were a warrior people to the bone, and for a long time undefeatable, on par with the migthy Hittites.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 23:12
Roman army was good but it was so because Rome after all wasn't alone... it would be heavely supplied by its latin allies so it had a number advantage too... in the early day of the Roman Republic i would say the Samnites probably had the best army in Italian peninsula.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 12:33
Originally posted by minchickie

The Romans had way too much stuff to lug around.  The Huns easily caused chaos and had little problems defeating them.

The Roman army that fought the Huns was a very different army and one that was in decline after the glory years of the previous three hundred years.

Date Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 19:45

There to weak

The armies of Mesopatamia were to weak because there equipment and organization was ancient by the time of Rome.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 02:27

Rome was at its peak at the time of Caesar.

-------------

Posted By: guo hua
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 05:01
Originally posted by Reginmund

I would say Rome with Persia
(Parthian or Sassanid) on a close second. Carthage,
Egypt and Greece all had their prime, but it was over
with the rise of Rome.

As for the ancient Mesopotamien armies, they must
have been among the most powerful in the world,
perhaps the most powerful during their glory
days. Assyrians certainly weren't weak, as some
seem to claim. Back then they were a warrior people
to the bone, and for a long time undefeatable, on par
with the migthy Hittites.

If Roman army are so good and why is it still cannot
surivive until today. An army of the ethnic that is no
longer alive, are forever not an good army. FACE IT!

-------------
http://www.bigscope.com - Provide Latest Career Opportunities To Everyone!

Date Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 05:55
The roman army did not survive till today because it fell appart from coruption from the in side and barbarian attacks from outside.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 09:53
Originally posted by guo hua

If Roman army are so good and why is it still cannot
longer alive, are forever not an good army. FACE IT!

Riiight, so now we're judging ancient armies by wether or not they made it to the industrial age? By your standards, "an army of the ethnic that is no longer alive, are forever not an good army" (sic), all ancient armies fall short.

No army is invincible, unchanging or everlasting, my gibbering friend.

-------------

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 11:06
I don't think this question can be properly answered without considering the time period. People are comparing armies here 1000 years apart. Doesn't make sense. Even Roman armies 100 years apart were different.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 03:03

[QUOTE=guo hua] If Roman
army are so good and why is it still cannot
longer alive, are forever not an good army. FACE IT![/
QUOTE]

Riiight, so now we're judging ancient armies by
wether or not they made it to the industrial age? By
your standards, "an army of the ethnic that is no
longer alive, are forever not an good army" (sic), all
ancient armies fall short.

No army is invincible, unchanging or everlasting, my
gibbering friend.

Any army may not be invincible, but army that can
protect its own ethnic race until today, no matter how
many conquer or disaster occur during the past two
thousand two hundred years, is the best army of the
world.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 03:16

[QUOTE=guo hua] If Roman
QUOTE]

gibbering friend.

world.

well maybe this "best army of the world" has not yet come.

-------------

Posted By: Raider
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 09:49

[QUOTE=guo hua] If Roman
QUOTE]

gibbering friend.

world.
As much as I know the army of the Roman Empire was superior to its enemies and capable of defending the Empire. The western empire collapsed because of internal political and economic not military reasons. (Of coruse the internal problems had effects to the army.)

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 10:02
Armenia had the Strongest Army Because they manage to fight against all muslim nations and Kept there Religion !!! From the begenning Year 600 when Islam came 

!Armenia!  until NOW !!! 

Date Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 11:53

Any army may not be invincible, but army that can protect its own ethnic race until today, no matter how many conquer or disaster occur during the past two thousand two hundred years, is the best army of the
world.

Ok, so this apparently unspecific army you speak of (which I have a sneaking feeling is quite specific, and not unrelated to your own ethnic identity), has suffered many conquests or disasters throughout the ages, but you claim they're the best in the world simply because their ethnic group still exists today?

With such reasoning, all the armies of all ethnic groups since antiquity are the worlds' best, as long as they've not suffered a complete genocide. Doesn't make much sense to me. Anyway it doesn't matter, this thread is about ancient armies, and therefore we'll judge according to their performance in ancient times, pure and simple.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 00:43
Originally posted by strategos

Originally posted by
Reginmund

[QUOTE=guo hua] If Roman army are
so good and why is it still cannot surivive until today.
An army of the ethnic that is no longer alive, are
forever not an good army. FACE IT![/ QUOTE] Riiight,
so now we're judging ancient armies by wether or
not they made it to the industrial age? By your
standards, "an army of the ethnic that is no longer
alive, are forever not an good army" (sic), all ancient
armies fall short. No army is invincible, unchanging
or everlasting, my gibbering friend.
Any
army may not be invincible, but army that can protect
its own ethnic race until today, no matter how many
conquer or disaster occur during the past two
world.

well maybe this "best army of the world" has not
yet come.

Roman army and its people is gone forever, which
they were either merged with other ethnic group or
totally be eliminated. The only army that surivived
today, are the Han army who protect its subject until
today through so many generation of war disaster &
victorious. And this is why no ethnic group in the
world would have grown to a population of 1.2 billion.
The largest ethnic group in the world and the only
ethnic group that survived continously for more that
two thousand of years. Without a determine, brave &
effective army, it will probably be eliminated long
long time ago. Just like how Roman empire was
ended by the Goths barbarians or totally weaken by
the Huns.

-------------

Posted By: vagabond
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 02:31

As Imperator Invictus has already pointed out, I think that we need a careful definition of terms as we are apparently talking apples and oranges; or more particularly ethnic groups as opposed to kingdoms and empires. While the Han people are named for the Han dynasty and have reproduced prolifically, they are not the Han dynasty. There are modern day Celts, and Celtic language use can still be found but there has not been a Celtic kingdom for many centuries. France, Italy, Switzerland, Spain and Portugal all use Romance languages, directly descendant from the Latin used by the Romans, and Romania still carries the name of Rome, but this does not make any of them heirs to the Roman Empire. One is an ethnological question; the other is historical.

I was skeptical about the claim that the Han army had lasted through to the present time. Not being immediately familiar with the intricacies of Chinese history - I consulted the pages at the University of Maryland http://www.chaos.umd.edu/history - http://www.chaos.umd.edu/history put together by Leon Poon.

From his pages, where he specifically distinguishes between the Han people and the Han dynasty: http://www-chaos.umd.edu/history/imperial.html - http://www-chaos.umd.edu/history/imperial.html#han , he says, "The Han dynasty, after which the members of the ethnic majority in China, the "people of Han," are named, was notable also for its military prowess" he goes on to say " The Han rulers, however, were unable to adjust to what centralization had wrought: a growing population, increasing wealth and resultant financial difficulties and rivalries, and ever-more complex political institutions. Riddled with the corruption characteristic of the dynastic cycle, by A.D. 220 the Han Empire collapsed."

The Minnesota State University Museum site concurred: http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/china/timeline.html - http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/china/timeline.html

As did Paul Halsall on the Brooklyn College City University of New York pages: http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/texts/chinhist.html - http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/texts/chinhist.h tml

I found this to be backed up by all other academic sources that I checked. I could find no source that claimed that the Han dynasty or their army had survived through modern times.

For further reading - these resource pages are very good: http://www-chaos.umd.edu/history/references.html - http://www-chaos.umd.edu/history/references.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/eastasia/eastasiasbook.html - http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/eastasia/eastasiasbook.html#I mperial%20China

http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/chinbib.html - http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/chinbib.html

As an additional note - discussion here on the Ancient History boards has remained quite civil and free from the taint of nationalist and racist ardor that has damaged so many other discussions. Let us please keep it that way. Solid intellectual arguments backed by verifiable sources are always welcome.

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 10:59
Well, vagabond, that should conclude the matter. An excellent post by the way, thoroughly researched and backed up.

And I agree, the whole ethnicity-issue should never have been brought up in this context.

-------------

Posted By: Gavriel
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 11:19
Roman Legionaries were the best trained,best equiped and most disiplined of all the Ancient Armys IMHO.Especially if a man like Gaius Julius Caesar is leading them,he won the highest Roman military award for courage ( corona civica) so he wasnt just a pansy General like some of them were.His men worshipped him,especially the 10th.When the 10th were encouraged to mutiny and marched on Rome,Caeser rode out to meet them on his own,He stopped this Army in its tracks by addresing them as Quirites (citizens) and not his Soldiers,which he allways addresed them as before,  Shaming them all so much they  turned around.That shows the man was a charismatic leader and i believe his Soldiers fought harder for him than they would for other Generals.
Sorry i know its a bit off topic but i love Caesar  .
The Romans were the better troops so they should win,they defeated large numbers in Gaul , but a few hundred thousand Hans might be a bit of a handfull.
G

Posted By: Publius Scipio Africanus
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 01:22
I don't have anything against Caesar, but he wrote about his own campaigns and was a leader who was inspirational and is not neccesarily the genius everyone thinks he is.

-------------
'I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 96% how I react to it.' Scipio Africanus

Date Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 00:08

Well prove it Scipio.

so I expect you to say that Scipio is better.

-------------

Posted By: King_Cyrus
Date Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 00:43

Charles Brough brings up a very good point.  It seem most if not all ancient armys become week for one reason or another.  I know alot about  the Achamanid Empire (Persian Empire).  Under there original leader Cyrus the Great almost all the troops were trained to be soldiers begining at a very young age and starting there military careers at about 20 and ending in mid 40's or even latter.  This continued for a few more kings (Cambysus,Darius the Great,Xerxes,Artaxarus).  After these kings though the Persians begain relying heavily on levies from all over the empire who were very untrained and like charles said would run away from a battle for many reasons (which it seems they did at Guagamala).  So i think Rome vs China debate can be meaningless.

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:20

how can it be meaning less. just because they get weak at different periods.

-------------

Posted By: Janissary
Date Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 22:13

I prefer Chinese, becouse they had more Strategicly Smarter Generals, They had more Mauneurement and they had a good philosophy, That would made them to destroy any army of Ancient Times.

They had Paper armpor which was more effective than Roman Iron, They had a bow which was between longbow and "Short bow"(Asian bow) which destroyed many beautiful armies of Huns and Turks and Mongols, and offcource could destroy Roman tooo

That is mAnd also, To train from less age, it was in many ancient states as Sparta, Huns (which founded 221 b.c.), Celts-Gauls, Etruscians and so on

Becouse the mean of life in that times was a Warfare, that is not hard to understand.

-------------

Posted By: Bishop
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 01:39
Originally posted by Janissary

That is mAnd also, To train from less age, it was in many ancient states as Sparta, Huns (which founded 221 b.c.), Celts-Gauls, Etruscians and so on

Becouse the mean of life in that times was a Warfare, that is not hard to understand.

IS this English, I can't understand what you are saying.

Not that it matters, no one can compare to the Greeks. No one, not even the Romans, who I pick after the Greeks.

-------------
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Posted By: Alkiviades
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 02:08
I'd rather have an army of citizens, ready to defend willingly their way of living and beloved ones, than any army of obedient sheep under a King or Emperor or whatever.

So, Greeks and Republican Rome!

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 04:13
I prefer the Roman Republican armies which had Scipio Africanus and Spartans because of their training and skill as warriors.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 22:25
Hey men, I did not meant that Greeks were weak, In fact they were more effective than Rome, But I said that training from little age it is many nations, especially in Spartans and Huns

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 22:23

How were Greeks more affective then the Romans hahahahhaha.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 10:00

How were Greeks more affective then the Romans hahahahhaha.

They could be more effective, but the armies of the Diadochi had really let themselves go. Politically the Greek Successors did not have the single-minded determination of the Republican Roman state. The Roman legion was also maneuverable enough to outclass the rigid phallanx.

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:06

It was easy for a few maniples to detach from a legion and attempt a flanking manoeuvre on a formation such as the phlaanx, which is what I believe happened at Cynoscephalae in 197bc when Philip of Macedon's army was decisively defeated.

I think probably a better example of the superiority of the legion to the phalanx than my previous example of Magnesia.

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/cynoscephalae.html - http://www.roman-empire.net/army/cynoscephalae.html

I don't think anybody can strongly dispute the fact that the legion was overall superior to the phalanx. My example shows the strength of the phalanx when facing an army head on and also its fatal weaknesses.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:18

ok, i meant, they did not live in the same time when both had their highest military.

When we see both Peloponnes and Persian wars, we see that, with very few casaulties they defeated persians (compearing in number)

but Rome, even after MArius, (not battles with germans), in many battles lost more than greeks phalanks of hoplites did

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:32

Yeah, thats because the Romans of the Late Republic were on the offensive and some times you got to lose, but you continue to fight to win and thats whats important. Plus the greeks lost plenty of battles to.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 14:42

yeah, I know

but Romans were late and more developed technology and strategy, of cource

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:23
The Romans were not late. What are you talking about.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:34

ok, i meant, they did not live in the same time when both had their highest military.

When we see both Peloponnes and Persian wars, we see that, with very few casaulties they defeated persians (compearing in number)

but Rome, even after MArius, (not battles with germans), in many battles lost more than greeks phalanks of hoplites did

Youve been given many examples of Roman armies defeating often larger armies even Greeks and coming through with few casualties.

If we believe the Roman casualties at Cynoscephalae which is 700 to over 13,000 Macedonians killed or captured, then you see quite conclusively the superiority of Romes legionary system over the Greek phalanx. Even if Roman casualties were actually higher the fact remains a phalanx army was decisively defeated by a legionary army on the offensive.

The chief weaknesses of the phalanx were exposed in this battle and the big strengths of the legion were shown quite conclusively.

It is a

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 18:40
Originally posted by Heraclius

If we believe the Roman casualties at Cynoscephalae which is 700 to over 13,000 Macedonians killed or captured, then you see quite conclusively the superiority of Romes legionary system over the Greek phalanx. Even if Roman casualties were actually higher the fact remains a phalanx army was decisively defeated by a legionary army on the offensive.

The chief weaknesses of the phalanx were exposed in this battle and the big strengths of the legion were shown quite conclusively.

It is a

Pardon me Heraclius but your assumption is not true. The Macedonian's army defeat in Cynoscephalae is charged mostly on the poor management of Philip V who commited one serious and decisive mistake, instead of anything else.

In Cynoscephalae, Philip V attacked dissimilar. Meaning while the right Macedonian wing and Centre were together, the left Macedonian wing was still marching as undisciplined divisions.  Romans made use of this gap with result this to be the crucial point of Macedonian defeat.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 19:19

I recognise a reason why this battle went Romes way is due to a failing by Philip.

However, I was right when I said the chief weaknesses and strengths were displayed.

The phalanx is formidable when taken head on even the legion is going to struggle against a wall of spears, however the rigidity of the phalanx is a major weakness which made the fact a group of maniples detached on the Roman right flank and hit the Macedonian centre in the rear even more catastrophic. As there is no effective defence a phalanx formation can offer when attacked from the rear, its simply not possible or atleast practical for the entire formation like that to change direction when heavily engaged in combat.

The fact the Macedonian left was disorganised obviously contriubuted to this, but whereas the legion is more than capable of resisting attacks from the flanks by manoeuvring to face another direction the phalanx is almost totally helpless.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 00:14

Macrinus

Marcus Crasses+40 000 roman

Gordian+40 000 roman

Philip Africanus+70 000 roman

Decius

Valerian+40 000 roman

Carus

Julian+60 000 roman

Valens+45 000 roman

VAlentinian

Are name of Great Roman Generals which died in the hand of Goths and Persians

So, dont say that roman were greater than Greeks, and they surely were late

The Highest peak of Greece is 5th century b.c. and Alexander

Highest peak of Rome is 1 b.c.-3 a.d.

There more than 300 years difference

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 00:40
Romans were greater then Greeks in battle.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 11:38

I don't see what point your trying to make Janissary, that armies get defeated?

We didnt need you to tell us that, its a simple fact armies lose sometimes, do you want me to list all the Persian defeats? All that'd prove is the undeniable fact that no army is invincable, big deal.

What do battles against Persia and the Goths have to do in a contest between Romans and Greeks? They have absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Anyway Valentinian I didnt die in battle nor did Valentinian the II or III, none of the 3 Gordian Emperors were killed by Goths or Persians, who on earth is Philip Africanus? do you mean Philip the Arab? he was killed in battle against Decius anyway. Julian the Apostate was indeed killed in battle, but his army was not destroyed and later on proclaimed Jovian Emperor.

Valerian was captured through deception by Shapur, Valerian may have even narrowly won the battle of Edessa (highly debatable), however plague ravaged his army and forced him to negotiate with the Persians for peace. Shapur captured him through deceit. Macrinus was an Emperor who was defeated in battle against some guy called Gannys and then executed, neither Goths or Persians executed him.

Dare I even mention the fact Varus was not a "great" Roman general, Valens was undoubtedly killed at Adrianople along with 2/3 of his army, I again point to the crushing defeat the Goths suffered at Naissus a century earlier as a counter-balance.

I suggest you get a more accurate list that has some basis in fact or I promise you somebody will tear it to pieces, by the way Carrhae has become a tired example that you use in every single topic like its some astonishing revelation. You cant keep saying the same thing and expecting it to have an impact on the debate.

I ask again what have battles against Persia and the Goths got to do with battles between the Greeks and Romans and determining superiority?

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 12:25
Heraclius Im with you on this one. Janissary just stop bouncing around from Greeks to Goths and Persians. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 12:44

Heraclius, if you want to claim an alleged superiority of Legion against Phalanx, the battle of Cynoscephalae isnt certainly the best example of this.

Philip V strategic mistakes were not just A reason Roman Legions won but they were the exclusive factor of Macedonian defeat.

Firstly, Philip knows that the terrain of Cynoscephalae is unfavourable for his army, yet he chooses to engage his army into a battle.

Secondly, as been pointed before, he makes the fatal mistake to engage with only a part of his force while his left flank was still marching.

Thirdly, the phalangites on the left flank tried to catch up with the rest of the charging army as historic sources point out "having noone to give them orders". This point clearly indicates a break in the Macedonian chain of command. Meaning another mistake of Philip's leadership. 

Following all these Leadership mistakes, its even safe to conclude that Cynoscephalae was a battle destined to be a defeat for Macedonians under these circumstances.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 10:14

ok, Rome, U think I am fighting here????

Oh men, u are deadly wrong

I can list u Heraclius 2 times bigger scedule that rOme lost

I did not said that Filip the Arab was killed by persians, but he lost the battle against them

Ok, if there is so many loses, why u decided that Rome army was great????Grrek never was imperialist, but it had the most strongest army of its time, when even there was not Celts or Germans

But Roman guys were not stronger or better that Persian, German, Celt, Numidian or Huns, and especially Chinese

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 10:24

ok, Rome, U think I am fighting here????

Oh men, u are deadly wrong

I can list u Heraclius 2 times bigger scedule that rOme lost

I did not said that Filip the Arab was killed by persians, but he lost the battle against them

Ok, if there is so many loses, why u decided that Rome army was great????Grrek never was imperialist, but it had the most strongest army of its time, when even there was not Celts or Germans

But Roman guys were not stronger or better that Persian, German, Celt, Numidian or Huns, and especially Chinese

You gave your list and then said something to the effect of "these are great Roman generals who died at the hands of Goths and Persians" your words not mine.

Phillip the Arab didnt die at the hands of either, neither died many others you listed, infact some of it is purely made up from what I can see.

Rome conquered the vast majority of celts, conquered the numidians, survived the huns (and later used them as mercenaries), skirmished and waged war with Persia for centuries and the Germans and never even met a Chinese army, so what your trying to prove here I have no clue.

The Persians never came close to conquering the Roman empire, it was barely powerful enough to take the eastern provinces, Armenia, Mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine etc, but never much more beyond that. Everytime it took those territories from Rome or Byzantium it lost them again.

The Greeks were never imperialists ok so what do you call the empire of Alexander the great?

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 20:17

Are u crazy?????

Man, I meant greeks during Persian and Peloponnes war

And also, It was no Greek at all, It was Macedonians

I think u know that

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 20:53

I'm still waiting for you to explain your list of "great roman generals" who died at the hands of the goths or persians?

Did you just read the fates of many of those men wrong or did you just make them up like im starting to suspect?

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 21:46

ok

Scipio Aelianus-lost 60 000 men against Numantians-137 b.c.

149b.c. Numidian king Jugurta defeated Romans and captured 40 000 men and then sold them back to rome

The Battle of Arausio-105 b.c.-Teuton Germans defeated more than 80 000 legioners with same tactics in Cannae

Gordian-244 a.d.

Dura Europus-255a.d.

Valerian-260a.d.-Both 3 were defeated and destroyed with their army only by Shapur

The battle of Celtiberians-137 b.c.

Romans were defated by Numantians-II battle

All Great LEADERS-Virathus, Lusitania, Arminius, defeated together more than 5 Roman armies and were killed by their own men becouse Romans paid them

Vercingetorix-Defeated Ceasar-Undefeatable Ceasar (Well, I know, then Ceasar defeated him, but whatever)

149b.c.-Thracians defeated romans, killed all of them and cut the head of their commander and sent to senate as a Present of result of Grat and Powerfull Roman Legions

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 21:59

Rome by far had the best army of all time because of its organization and discipline and the fact that from the second century B.C. through the second century A.D. it domanated three continents (Europe, Asia, and Africa). 

true but that dosnt mean they were beter         & nbsp;         

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 23:44

ok

Scipio Aelianus-lost 60 000 men against Numantians-137 b.c.

149b.c. Numidian king Jugurta defeated Romans and captured 40 000 men and then sold them back to rome

The Battle of Arausio-105 b.c.-Teuton Germans defeated more than 80 000 legioners with same tactics in Cannae

Gordian-244 a.d.

Dura Europus-255a.d.

Valerian-260a.d.-Both 3 were defeated and destroyed with their army only by Shapur

The battle of Celtiberians-137 b.c.

Romans were defated by Numantians-II battle

All Great LEADERS-Virathus, Lusitania, Arminius, defeated together more than 5 Roman armies and were killed by their own men becouse Romans paid them

Vercingetorix-Defeated Ceasar-Undefeatable Ceasar (Well, I know, then Ceasar defeated him, but whatever)

149b.c.-Thracians defeated romans, killed all of them and cut the head of their commander and sent to senate as a Present of result of Grat and Powerfull Roman Legions

You said Goths and Persians  now your mentioning gauls, celt-iberians and numantians etc?

Besides you said generals who were killed in battle against goths and persians  these other battles have absolutely no relevance whatsoever. Besides Spain was conquered as was Gaul and Numidia and Thrace the Germans were crushed afterwards in battles I earlier showed you.

I'm getting bored of reminding you of your own point, generals KILLED in battle against the GOTHS and/or PERSIANS, thats what you said.

Gordian, Phillip the Arab, Valentinian etc were not killed in battle against either of them, so your info is either faulty or you just plain lied.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 14:37
I have read through the whole of this topic and see that there have been some excellent points raised. However i believe there is one key nation missing from the discussion ; The Huns

Is not the point of war to protect ones own ethnicity, ones own way of life and ones own beliefs. I ask you then, were the Huns ever ruled? undoubtdley not.

I believe the key strength of the huns lies in the fact that they were nomadic. They had no true static centers(cities) therefore all that they were and are is maintained through the existance of their people their nation. Where as Rome relied upon static sources and static centers the Huns had flexibility, fluidity and security in the way in which they lived. This was represented in their armies, which were essentially an agressive representation of their nation. Nomadic armies, able to stay on the move for countless days, weeks. Able to retreat in the same fashion, they are to me and ancient representation of what we belive war to be today; Lightning. The ability to move, to launch instant attacks, and most importantly the ability to survive.

I do not state that the Huns would beat the likes of Gaius Julius Ceasers' legions in battle, nor Augustus'. But i believe the Huns would never be 'Ultimately' defeated by the romans or any other ancient civilisation for that matter.

-------------

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 20:48
But i believe the Huns would never be 'Ultimately' defeated by the romans or any other ancient civilisation for that matter.

Why do you say this, the Huns could not finish off the Romans when they were a shell of themselves and had one foot in the grave? Rome in its prime would have destroyed the Huns.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 22:07

Gordian, Phillip the Arab, Valentinian-exactly from the book that says that Rome is Great-They were died in the land of Shapur I

I think u should learn something about Huns, just becouse they created 4 great empires which shaked the world, I understand u, It is hard to find a book, but u can find from Inernet, dear Eagle, Bold Eagle

I think it was Pope Leo 4th who came in fron of Attila and asked not to destroy Rome

I never in this topic told that Huns were great, usually I named Persians, Hispanians, Africans and German tribes

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 22:55

Then that book is wrong, Gordian I commited suicide after his son Gordian II was killed in battle in North Africa during a civil war in 238.

Gordian III is claimed by the Persians to have died in battle, however it is far more likely that after Gordian III was defeated a mutiny within the Roman army was stirred up by Phillip the Arab and Gordian III was executed, although some sources claim it was illness. At the very least the cause of his detah is widely open to debate and will probably never be known.

Phillip the Arab was killed in battle against Decius in another civil war in 249.

Valentinian I died from almost certainly a heart attack or something very similar when he was angered by a German delegation.

Valentinian II either commited suicide or was murdered by Arbogast and Valentinian III was murdered by loyal supporters of the general Aetius.

Suffice to say most if not all of those men did not even die in Persian territory, nevermind at the hands of the Persians and certainly not all in Shapurs time.

The Huns being greater than Rome is pure fantasy anyway, the Romans contributed infinitely more to the world and land they inhabited than the barbarian Huns ever did. The Huns couldnt even destroy the Roman empire when practically bankrupt, without an effective army of its own and led by incompetants or raving lunatics. The Romen empire lasted over 1400 years in various shapes forms and names you could even include the holy roman empire in that and say 1800 years, the empire of Attila lasted a tiny fraction of that and in that time contributed barely a thing in comparison.

If the army of Attila the Hun was so amazing, then surely it would have smashed the Roman-Germanic alliance at Chalons and overrun the western empire with ease.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 20:07
"the Romans contributed infinitely more to the world and land they inhabited than the barbarian Huns ever did"

I would like to pick up on this statement, in many ways i understand your angle. And i'm sure this statement would be widley accepted by most, however i believe it to be a pure matter of interpretation. One could say that the romans contributed and built upon the land they conqoured another could say they destroyed the land they conqoured. I say; what use is a bath or spa to a man who does not know of sanitation, what use is education to the humble fool, what use is a road to the man who does not wish to travel. Did the 'barbarians' need civilisation, i believe not. I ask you what is more beautiful, more amazing more complex a flowing stream or the M25? Yes the Romans brought buildings, they brought culture and religion, they brought art and literature. But is this a great contribution to mankind? Perhaps, perhaps not. What is truly amazing and worthwhile is what is on this earth already. And i believe the Huns harmony with nature itself puts them on a different level, a whole new class.

Ok I will agree, the 'Huns' is a very lucid term but here i mainly refer to the European Huns anything post Xiong Nu and Pre Red Huns. The history and relation of the various groups of Huns is never totally clear, but what we can establish is that throughout history there has been an eastern Steppe Force encroaching on Europe; Ranging from the much discussed Attila to the world renound Chinggis Khan.

Before discussing the face off between the romans and Huns it is importatn to look at how far the huns had actually come to engage in combat with the romans, to understand their previous achievements.

Around 370 A.D. the Huns moved west and destroyed the neighboring Alans. They the drove further westward and destroyed the Ostrogothic kingdom of Eramanarich, Which in all honesty sent shivers down the spine of Europe. At the same time, another Hun force crossed the Caucasus and invaded Armenia, reaching all the way to Syria. When the huns reached the borders of europe it is important to note that Aetius asked for their assistance in the roman conquest in the west. In which the Huns were praised as some of the most skilled and ferocious fighters on earth.

Now i am no fan of listing victories but i see it necesseray to the view of getting across my point, let me draw you to the destruction of the following cities;(440AD) Margus, Singidunum, Viminacium (443AD)Sardica, Philippopolis, and Arcadiopolis

Then we have the defeat of the Imperial Army at constantinople and perhaps finally the victory at Chersonesus

We also understand that he destroys 70 Thracian cities.

But these are not the things i boast, what i see to be the ultimate recognition of Attil
la and his Huns is that he sought peace, he destroyed the civilisation he so obveously detested and rather than taking land took tribute and peace, wanting to live in harmony.

Yes we all know the tragic ending to Attilas story, but i believe although he did not leave strong heritage he left alot more. An example, of a great leader of men, a great individual warrior and a man true to his soul and true to his ancestory.

I can already hear your crys that he only defeated a weak roman empire...A bankrupt roman empire. But i remind you wahtever your claim he did enjoy countless victories over the romans, the battle mentioned between Romo-Gauls and the huns and various allies was a stalemate up untill the murder of the Visigoth king Theodoric. Who knows what the outcome may have been if such an even hadnt intervened.

None the less i hope i have inspired you enough to consider the huns for this poll, they i agree were never a real set united nation, but more of a hurricane, in and out in a short period of time but massively effective!

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 21:17

Very good post Eagle , shame Janissary was incapable of posting something of similar quality on the Huns or infact anything.

I'll consider my reply and post it later.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 07:47
I have said it once, I have said it twice, I will say it again. Attila turned away from Rome because he was incapable of capturing it, not because Leo grovelled.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:49

I have to agree with Constantine there, its pure fantasy to believe that Attila the Hun would pay a blind bit of attention to the pope, why on earth would a pagan be deterred from his prize purely because of a leading figure in a church that was totally foreign to him.

Attilas army was suffering from its own success, ravaging the land made it impossible to live off it for any length of time, disease was setting in and I believe the eastern empire (unsure of the details) had launched an expedition into Hunnic territory along the Danube. With his territory now under serious threat it would of been foolish to remain in Italy with all these factors added together.

Eagle. I understand what you mean about Rome bringing along a culture that many of the conquered may well have had no interest in, but evidently the conquered did enjoy and like what the Roman brought with them on the whole.

The baths were always full, the arenas packed with spectators, they will have enjoyed the security Rome offered, the freedom from marauding bands looting settlements and land at will. This was in the good old days of course, the days of the pax romana when the Roman empire existed in as long a period of peace as much of europe probably ever has.

There were rebellions every now and then of course, but the Roman army was at its peak and the empire was overall a safe and secure place to live and prosper.

Surely more preferable than the way for example the Gauls used to exist, tribes that were almost as often fighting each other as any external enemy, squabbling and waging war. I doubt many who grew up in Gaul under the Roman empire will have envied the life style of their forefathers over the one they had now.

As a westerner, being brought up in a society where art, literature, architecture are highly valued, i'm bound to frown at the way the Huns used to live and treat these things. No respect whatsoever for anybody they encountered, conquering it would seem purely for the sake of conquest, to feed their lust for loot or land before moving on to the next unfortunate target. If you were lucky enough to survive the latest Hunnic raid, then you found your city was probably gutted and everything you and your people have built has been wiped out in an orgy of looting and destruction.

I thoroughly believe that the Huns deserve to be called barbarians, I don't see or maybe understand how Attila was seeking peace how can somebody sack as you say 70 Thracian cities and then be a man seeking peace and harmony? You can say something similar about Rome, but even Rome didnt go around conquering purely for the sake of it, they had to think of the cost in funds and manpower, the politics, what effect this would have on the empire, the conquered, how they would rule/control the newly conquered lands etc. The Huns didnt have to consider barely any of this, as they rarely stuck around long enough to get overly involved.

The Romans were obviously far from saints, but atleast they offered something after they had taken whatever it was they wanted, the Huns seem to have brought nothing but chaos in their wake, that left no lasting legacy or major contribution.

Had the Huns conquered the west I dare say if there is an argument over whether or not there was a *dark age* there wouldnt be, had the Huns stuck around, since the Huns had no interest in Roman culture or civilisation as we know it I see no real reason why western europe wouldnt have become a cultural desert. As the Huns swept aside the tottering Roman empire and crushed the Germanics who by now lived within it and were atleast partly romanised.

I think the Roman culture did little else but benefit the people in the empire, I don't see how western europe for example would of progressed had it been under the rule of nomads and the *uncivilised*.

I dont profess to be an expert on the Huns, I admit that being a westerner i'm certain to see things in a somewhat biased manner, I don't hate the Huns and I don't think the Romans were perfect superhumans who did no wrong. I just know who i'd rather be ruled by and whos culture i'd rather have existed in and which benefited the people most, I believe the people of the day felt very much the same as me.

The fighting ability of the Huns I dont doubt, but still I find it odd how the Huns could conquer many a Germanic tribe etc then come against a coalition of bitter enemies no stronger than anybody they had conquered before and yet failed. Attila apparently this great leader and commander failed to push aside this army which probably had barely a true Roman in it.

I have far more respect for Aetius who for many years had worked constantly to keep the empire on its feet, he had the help of the Huns but he was clearly a thoroughly good commander who tried everything to keep Rome up. The fact he was later assassinated by a total incompetant like Valentinian III is both tragic and infuriating in its stupidity. Just my opinion anyway.

You seem to know far more than me on the Huns, so please let me know if i've made any glaring mistakes so i can avoid doing the same in the future and so learn more about the Huns.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 14:03
Heraclius may i first commend you on an outstanding reply, both informative and highly opinonated. In the end i believe this is going to be a topic we will both interpret in our own individual manner, perhaps due to our different views on culture and society. I'm sure we can both appreciate the relative highs and lows of the the two nations we have been discussing.

I would like to add a few comments to out previous discussions about the battle of Chalons, and post battle of Chalons, of an unbiased nature merely to hopefully be informative:

Attila actually was on the retreat when he first engaged in battle with Aetius near Chalons. Due to the fact that he had come up against unexpected resistance whilst sieging Orleans.

The hunninc army contray to popular belief by this point did consist of mainly infantry units, although cavalry still had its place. This was due to the fact that the huns had really start to settle down on the Great Hungarian Plain, which made the Huns alot less nomadic thus giving alot less room for their massive armys of horses.

The battle although early i stated as a stalemate is mostly recognised as a roman victory, however i feel Attilas heart was not really in the battle and he already had his mind on retreat. However as far as casualties went it seems to be a quite convincing draw.

After the battle the Huns returned to northern Italy again, ravaging lands and causing devestation everywhere they went. Aetius however could not muster the support he had for Chalons due to the simple and obveous fact that Germanians, Franks and Burgundians had no want to fight in northern Italy, unless it was against the romans. AS you said it was only due to a plague amongst the Huns and famine in Italy that the Huns retreated (highly unlikley to be anything to do with Pope Leo)

Hopefully that has been informative and helpfull, i would also like to agree with you in your respect for Aetius as far as my knowledge of the romans goes i see him to be the last of the great roman generals.

I would appreciate it if i could use you as a source of information on the romans in future, for you seem to be very well informed. If i am not mistaken.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 16:52

Again thank you Eagle for your kind compliments.

I'm often unsure how to look at Chalons I have seen so many different versions of the battle so many numbers of casualties etc that it is incredibly difficult to paint a clear picture, its just one of those battles that is open to interpretation.

As a battle is was a draw, it seems both sides suffered huge casualties, fought incredibly hard even though the sources are exaggerated there is no doubt that the ferocity of the combat was extreme. However if we are to believe the general account of the battle, Aetius did have the chance to finish the Huns off, but decided the Huns were useful as a counter-weight. To remove the one thing that was uniting the fractured western empire in a common cause would be suicidal for an empire that otherwise would be attacked from all sides.

Assuming this is true, then I think Aetius made the right decision and had he lived longer perhaps he could of kept the empire afloat, anyway thats not important.

Yes I believe plague played a major role in Attilas retreat from Italy, however i've watched a couple of programs on the history channel lately, referring to this. Is it not possible, that the heavy casualties Attila suffered at Chalons made it impossible to both campaign in Italy and defend his base in Hungary?

Had Attilas army not been threatened by plague and famine, but his base was under attack I think he may have abandoned the campaign anyway to defend his territory which was under attack from the eastern empire, ill search for a source to back this up. Anyway I am sure that the eastern Emperor Marcian had eventually sent troops to Italy to help the west making the capture of Rome even more hazardous for Attila, so there were many things to take into consideration.

I certainly will agree with what Aetius is often called "the last of the Romans", so I very much respect Aetius as much as I do any other Roman/Byzantine general.

Well if you want to use me as a source of knowledge of the Romans then i'd be happy to offer you anything I can help with, i'm far from an expert obviously but my knowledge is growing everyday so I cant be half bad .

The same to you on the Huns, I oughta know more about eastern cultures and empires etc than I do, so I hope to learn more about them in the future.

-------------

Posted By: Lord Pork
Date Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 17:23

ok after studying the chines military for 2 or more hours i have decided that the Romans will be victories in the end......the roman economical power was much more stronger then the chines.....so yes the chines had the crossbow witch could made some good damage on the roman army....but roman ingenuity and the power to adopt to a new type of warfare would probably kick ass....pulse the Chinese still used chariots as a main mobile force witch really lacks the agility needed to fight roman army......and the roman had a professional army witch was much more experienced then the Chinese witch was drafted only for 2 years.

look at this its.....its beutiful....

chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>> 

-------------
When the situation is obscure, attack !

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com