Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Armies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: Which Ancient Army was the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [40.65%]
18 [14.63%]
32 [26.02%]
2 [1.63%]
1 [0.81%]
20 [16.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
King_Cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King_Cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Armies
    Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 00:43

Charles Brough brings up a very good point.  It seem most if not all ancient armys become week for one reason or another.  I know alot about  the Achamanid Empire (Persian Empire).  Under there original leader Cyrus the Great almost all the troops were trained to be soldiers begining at a very young age and starting there military careers at about 20 and ending in mid 40's or even latter.  This continued for a few more kings (Cambysus,Darius the Great,Xerxes,Artaxarus).  After these kings though the Persians begain relying heavily on levies from all over the empire who were very untrained and like charles said would run away from a battle for many reasons (which it seems they did at Guagamala).  So i think Rome vs China debate can be meaningless.

Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:20

how can it be meaning less. just because they get weak at different periods.

Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 22:13

I prefer Chinese, becouse they had more Strategicly Smarter Generals, They had more Mauneurement and they had a good philosophy, That would made them to destroy any army of Ancient Times.

They had Paper armpor which was more effective than Roman Iron, They had a bow which was between longbow and "Short bow"(Asian bow) which destroyed many beautiful armies of Huns and Turks and Mongols, and offcource could destroy Roman tooo

That is mAnd also, To train from less age, it was in many ancient states as Sparta, Huns (which founded 221 b.c.), Celts-Gauls, Etruscians and so on

Becouse the mean of life in that times was a Warfare, that is not hard to understand.

Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 01:39
Originally posted by Janissary

That is mAnd also, To train from less age, it was in many ancient states as Sparta, Huns (which founded 221 b.c.), Celts-Gauls, Etruscians and so on

Becouse the mean of life in that times was a Warfare, that is not hard to understand.

IS this English, I can't understand what you are saying.

Not that it matters, no one can compare to the Greeks. No one, not even the Romans, who I pick after the Greeks.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 02:08
I'd rather have an army of citizens, ready to defend willingly their way of living and beloved ones, than any army of obedient sheep under a King or Emperor or whatever.

So, Greeks and Republican Rome!
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 04:13
I prefer the Roman Republican armies which had Scipio Africanus and Spartans because of their training and skill as warriors.
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 22:25
Hey men, I did not meant that Greeks were weak, In fact they were more effective than Rome, But I said that training from little age it is many nations, especially in Spartans and Huns
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 22:23

How were Greeks more affective then the Romans hahahahhaha.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 10:00
Originally posted by Rome

How were Greeks more affective then the Romans hahahahhaha.

They could be more effective, but the armies of the Diadochi had really let themselves go. Politically the Greek Successors did not have the single-minded determination of the Republican Roman state. The Roman legion was also maneuverable enough to outclass the rigid phallanx.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:06

It was easy for a few maniples to detach from a legion and attempt a flanking manoeuvre on a formation such as the phlaanx, which is what I believe happened at Cynoscephalae in 197bc when Philip of Macedon's army was decisively defeated.

I think probably a better example of the superiority of the legion to the phalanx than my previous example of Magnesia.

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/cynoscephalae.html

I don't think anybody can strongly dispute the fact that the legion was overall superior to the phalanx. My example shows the strength of the phalanx when facing an army head on and also its fatal weaknesses.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:18

ok, i meant, they did not live in the same time when both had their highest military.

When we see both Peloponnes and Persian wars, we see that, with very few casaulties they defeated persians (compearing in number)

but Rome, even after MArius, (not battles with germans), in many battles lost more than greeks phalanks of hoplites did

Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:32

Yeah, thats because the Romans of the Late Republic were on the offensive and some times you got to lose, but you continue to fight to win and thats whats important. Plus the greeks lost plenty of battles to.

Edited by Rome
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 14:42

yeah, I know

but Romans were late and more developed technology and strategy, of cource

Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:23
The Romans were not late. What are you talking about.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:34
Originally posted by Janissary

ok, i meant, they did not live in the same time when both had their highest military.

When we see both Peloponnes and Persian wars, we see that, with very few casaulties they defeated persians (compearing in number)

but Rome, even after MArius, (not battles with germans), in many battles lost more than greeks phalanks of hoplites did

Youve been given many examples of Roman armies defeating often larger armies even Greeks and coming through with few casualties.

If we believe the Roman casualties at Cynoscephalae which is 700 to over 13,000 Macedonians killed or captured, then you see quite conclusively the superiority of Romes legionary system over the Greek phalanx. Even if Roman casualties were actually higher the fact remains a phalanx army was decisively defeated by a legionary army on the offensive.

The chief weaknesses of the phalanx were exposed in this battle and the big strengths of the legion were shown quite conclusively.

It is a

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 18:40
Originally posted by Heraclius

If we believe the Roman casualties at Cynoscephalae which is 700 to over 13,000 Macedonians killed or captured, then you see quite conclusively the superiority of Romes legionary system over the Greek phalanx. Even if Roman casualties were actually higher the fact remains a phalanx army was decisively defeated by a legionary army on the offensive.

The chief weaknesses of the phalanx were exposed in this battle and the big strengths of the legion were shown quite conclusively.

It is a

Pardon me Heraclius but your assumption is not true. The Macedonian's army defeat in Cynoscephalae is charged mostly on the poor management of Philip V who commited one serious and decisive mistake, instead of anything else.

In Cynoscephalae, Philip V attacked dissimilar. Meaning while the right Macedonian wing and Centre were together, the left Macedonian wing was still marching as undisciplined divisions.  Romans made use of this gap with result this to be the crucial point of Macedonian defeat.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 19:19

I recognise a reason why this battle went Romes way is due to a failing by Philip.

However, I was right when I said the chief weaknesses and strengths were displayed.

The phalanx is formidable when taken head on even the legion is going to struggle against a wall of spears, however the rigidity of the phalanx is a major weakness which made the fact a group of maniples detached on the Roman right flank and hit the Macedonian centre in the rear even more catastrophic. As there is no effective defence a phalanx formation can offer when attacked from the rear, its simply not possible or atleast practical for the entire formation like that to change direction when heavily engaged in combat.

The fact the Macedonian left was disorganised obviously contriubuted to this, but whereas the legion is more than capable of resisting attacks from the flanks by manoeuvring to face another direction the phalanx is almost totally helpless.

Edited by Heraclius
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 00:14

Macrinus

Marcus Crasses+40 000 roman

Gordian+40 000 roman

Philip Africanus+70 000 roman

Decius

Valerian+40 000 roman

Carus

Julian+60 000 roman

Valens+45 000 roman

VAlentinian

Are name of Great Roman Generals which died in the hand of Goths and Persians

So, dont say that roman were greater than Greeks, and they surely were late

The Highest peak of Greece is 5th century b.c. and Alexander

Highest peak of Rome is 1 b.c.-3 a.d.

There more than 300 years difference

Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 00:40
Romans were greater then Greeks in battle.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 11:38

I don't see what point your trying to make Janissary, that armies get defeated?

We didnt need you to tell us that, its a simple fact armies lose sometimes, do you want me to list all the Persian defeats? All that'd prove is the undeniable fact that no army is invincable, big deal.

What do battles against Persia and the Goths have to do in a contest between Romans and Greeks? They have absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Anyway Valentinian I didnt die in battle nor did Valentinian the II or III, none of the 3 Gordian Emperors were killed by Goths or Persians, who on earth is Philip Africanus? do you mean Philip the Arab? he was killed in battle against Decius anyway. Julian the Apostate was indeed killed in battle, but his army was not destroyed and later on proclaimed Jovian Emperor.

Valerian was captured through deception by Shapur, Valerian may have even narrowly won the battle of Edessa (highly debatable), however plague ravaged his army and forced him to negotiate with the Persians for peace. Shapur captured him through deceit. Macrinus was an Emperor who was defeated in battle against some guy called Gannys and then executed, neither Goths or Persians executed him.

Dare I even mention the fact Varus was not a "great" Roman general, Valens was undoubtedly killed at Adrianople along with 2/3 of his army, I again point to the crushing defeat the Goths suffered at Naissus a century earlier as a counter-balance.

I suggest you get a more accurate list that has some basis in fact or I promise you somebody will tear it to pieces, by the way Carrhae has become a tired example that you use in every single topic like its some astonishing revelation. You cant keep saying the same thing and expecting it to have an impact on the debate.

I ask again what have battles against Persia and the Goths got to do with battles between the Greeks and Romans and determining superiority?

Edited by Heraclius
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>