Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Romans were Hellenized B.C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Romans were Hellenized B.C
    Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 20:26
Hmm, I think you mean Latin has 6 and Hellinic 5 noun cases, unless you're refering to "declensions" where we find 5 Latin and 3 Hellinic.
I never did claim that Latin derives from Hellinic, I said "strongly influenced" and of course there are other much closer related lang. to Latin like the Italic lang. than the Hellinic is. But the Hellinic lang. is actully so closely related and has so strongly influenced Latin, that every linguist finds knowledge of it essential in finding etymologies.

As for the writer, Dionysus of Halicarnassus was no Roman, he was totally Hellinic in origin, so your theory, as do most theories, seems to have some flaws. 
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:53

Of course Greek and Latin are two different languages. But Latin has more similarities in comparison with the Greek than with the other ancient Indoeuropean languages. But we can't claim that it's a descendant of the Greek language. Only the Latin alphabet derives from the Greek.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:59
Phallanx,

Please lower your tone. Your aggressive counter-argument may sound good, but aggressiveness alone will not win intellectual debates.

It seems that you failed to read closely my posts.

You are aggressively fighting against points I have never made, and you are unware of points that you are in fact making, although tacitly.

Let me remind you of the main points in our short debate about Latin coming from Greek

Originally posted by hugoestr

Just a note about the Greek origen of the Roman people: Latin is a very different language than Greek, and it is not a descendent from it. This seems to indicate that the Romans didn't come from Greek stock.

Originally posted by Phallanx

As for the language, you're wrong. We could list literally thousands of words not to mention roots, prefixes and suffixes that are Hellinic in origin. Latin is definitely strongly influenced by the Hellinic lang. as my man Dionysus of Halicarnassus put it:

"The language spoken by the Romans is neither utterly barbarous nor absolutely Hellinic, but a mixture, as it were, of both, the greater part of which is Aeolic and the only disadvantage they have experienced from their intermingling with these various nations is that they do not pronounce all their sounds properly. But all other indications of a Hellinic origin they preserve beyond any other colonists."
(Roman Antiquities I-90)

My main claim is that Latin is quite different from Greek and it is not a descendent of it.

You flatly refute my argument, implying that they are close and that Latin comes from Greek. You then qualify your statement saying that Latin was strongly influenced, and then you restate with your quote the thesis that Latin came from Greek.

When I proved you wrong about this statement, you argued as if I denied all influence of the Greek language on Latin. I certainly never claim such a thing.

You did go ahead and made another sweeping and indefensible claim.

Originally posted by Phallanx

But the Hellinic lang. is actully so closely related and has so strongly influenced Latin, that every linguist finds knowledge of it essential in finding etymologies.

I already pointed out how modern historical linguists have come to the conclusion that the strong connection that you are making doesn't exist between Latin and Greek.

Latin adopted many Greek words, but they tended to stick to ones with Latin origen. A good example of this is reading philosophy in Latin: instead of using Greek words, authors like Cicero use clunky Latin equivalents instead.

This preference towards Latin was also expressed in theological writings. During the early Dark Ages, the Rome was had been under the influence of Greek civilization for centuries. Theology got its start in the East, and most of its technical language was originally created in Latin. Slowly, many of these terms got a Latin equivalent.

Besides, my linguistic argument was made as more evidence that the Romans are not Greek descendents.

There really is no reason to attempt to elevate ancient Greek civilization with these claims; Greek civilization stands as a titan in the Western world by its own right.

P.S. I didn't count the vocative as a case. It was mainly used in poetry, and most textbooks in both languages don't bother with it too much. Also, claiming false ties go both ways: conquered Greeks were tying themselves to the fortunes of Rome by stating that Romans came from Greece.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 18:20
hugoestr

You must be joking. Where in this topic was I ever agressive, where do I 'attack' anyone and especially you???
It seems like you and Komnenos are holding a little grudge after our homo dispute. No prob. you'll get over it.

Interestingly enough, even though you quote my posts, you never once managed to present not even one single quote of my using the word "descendent" simply because I never did.

True I strongly support the well known fact that ancient Hellinic has  strongly influenced Latin, but according to your sources, even though we know of the indisputable fact of roots, prefixes, suffixes and literally thousands of loan words, there are linguists that would deny a strong connection???
Who exactly named these wanna-be's linguists???

Cicero?
Yeah one example to prove what exactly, that he attempted to denounce his proven past?
The article presents a list of names that all wrote in the Hellinic lang. Hell even Ceasar's last words were in Hellinic as Roman historians admit:

"And in this wise he was stabbed with three and twenty wounds, uttering not a word, but merely a groan at the first stroke, though some have written that when Marcus Brutus rushed at him, he said in Greek, 'You too, my child?"
Suetonius L X X X I I.
Link

So we either come to the conclusion that none of them, not even one knew what they were talking about or there is alot more behind these "stories" than some would like to admit.

Why do you think that this is some attempt to "elevate" the Hellinic culture? Is this not a history thread?
This topic is nothing more than quoting ancient writers either Romans or Hellines, it's nothing more than history. Do you honestly believe that there is any more reliable source than the historians/writers of that time?

"Besides, my linguistic argument was made as more evidence that the Romans are not Greek descendents"

Direct descendants maybe not, but based on the fact that the Sabines were a Hellinic people, the Roman myths speak of Troyan descent and our knowledge of the many Hellinic colonies in Italy. Make it simple logic that they had strong connections, not only cultural but also by blood.

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 18:32
...but based on the fact that the Sabines were a Hellenic people

Werent Sabines a Oscan speaking people?
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 19:35
Iskender Bey ALBO

True that is one of the theories but unfortunately no real evidence to support it. What is quite interesting is that they introduced "Quirinus" which was as most sources support a "God of war". As I mentioned before, they used the "term" quiris/quiretes for their people, which is translated as citizen.

Now, we know that the Romans had a name for citizens, "civitas".
The names quiris-quiretes obviously derives from the Hellinic, name kouros-kouretes which means "young men of fighting age" and therefore warriors, young men, young warriors, as seen in Iliad 19. 193, 248.
(Notice the similarity to the God's name)
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 11:18
Phallanx,

I will stop mentioning your aggressive argumentative style because it seems that it leads no where. I will mention again your failure to read my posts carefully.

I already address the structural differences between Latin and Greek. If there are so many words that Latin borrowed, please present it. Avoid folk etymologies, please.

I explained how you tacitly--that means "silently", meaning, you didn't explicitly say so--advanced the argument that Latin came from Greek. Here it is again.

You flatly refute my argument, implying that they are close and that Latin comes from Greek. You then qualify your statement saying that Latin was strongly influenced, and then you restate with your quote the thesis that Latin came from Greek.

You could have said: "yes, you are right. I made it look like I was arguing for Latin being a descendent from Greek, but that wasn't my intention."

Instead you challanged me to find where did you explicitly used the word "descending." No one is stupid around here, so your ploy will not work. Either state that you miscommunicated or defend your position. You can't play it both ways.

Let's examine again another version of the same ploy. You contradict yourself in this paragraph:

Direct descendants maybe not, but based on the fact that the Sabines were a Hellinic people, the Roman myths speak of Troyan descent and our knowledge of the many Hellinic colonies in Italy. Make it simple logic that they had strong connections, not only cultural but also by blood.

You are saying that they are not direct descendents, and then you state that they are.

Connecting a great culture to one of our own is a common practice. In fact, the Greek writer that you originally quoted seems to be doing this too. For some strange reason, he decided to attempt to increase the prestige of Greek civilization by stating that Rome comes from Greece.

Let me repeat this one more time: Greek civilization shines with its own light. There is no need to attempt to join racially Rome And Greece. Ancient Greece outshines Rome.

Not only did it have a more intellectually advance culture, but it was also the center of commerce and wealth throughout the Roman Empire. The area and culture was so important that the center of the Empire was moved to the East.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 11:27
Here is a reference to text that explain the differences between Latin and Greek.

Latin didn't grow out of Greek. They are two separate descendents of Proto-Indo-European. See Andrew L. Sihler, A New Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin, (New York & Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995), which is an extensive rewrite of Carl D. Buck, A Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin, (Chicago, 1952), updated to include Myceneaean sources. Buck is still worthwhile though, especially for the sections on the fundamentals of historical linguistics (pp. 35-63).

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/22/003.html

Here is a description of the book:
Description
Like Carl Darling Buck's Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin (1933), this book is an explanation of the similarities and differences between Greek and Latin morphology and lexicon through an account of their prehistory. It also aims to discuss the principal features of Indo-European linguistics. Greek and Latin are studied as a pair for cultural reasons only; as languages, they have little in common apart from their Indo-European heritage. Thus the only way to treat the historical bases for their development is to begin with Proto-Indo-European. The only way to make a reconstructed language like Proto-Indo-European intelligible and intellectually defensible is to present at least some of the basis for reconstructing its features and, in the process, to discuss reasoning and methodology of reconstruction (including a weighing of alternative reconstructions). The result is a compendious handbook of Indo-European phonology and morphology, and a vade mecum of Indo-European linguistics--the focus always remaining on Greek and Latin. The non-classical sources for historical discussion are mainly Vedic Sanskrit, Hittite, and Germanic, with occasional but crucial contributions from Old Irish, Avestan, Baltic, and Slavic.

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Linguistics/~~ /c2Y9YWxsJnNzPWF1dGhvci5hc2Mmc2Q9YXNjJnBmPTMwJnZpZXc9dXNhJnB yPTEwJmJvb2tDb3ZlcnM9eWVzJmNpPTAxOTUwODM0NTg=
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 12:16
I agree with Hugoestr

Edited by dorian
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 12:09
Carl D. Buck may support that there is "little in common" between Latin and Hellinic but does he explain the coincidence of prefixes, suffixes and roots?

If these two languages are 'alien' to each other and are "studied as a pair for cultural reasons only" why do we find the previously mentioned connections?

Some examples:

We know of "letter changes" (don't know the correct 'term") in adopted words like:

->L        as seen in -> silo
-> R      as seen in  -> rabies
-> L       as seen in  ->Ulysses
->T       as seen in  -> studeo
-> G       as seen in   ->  genus
H -> E       as seen in -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in -> umber
> F or D    as seen in -> fores
-> M        as seen in   -> Deus

We also know that the Hellinic rough breathing is "covered" in Latin by "inserting" the letters h, s, v

The letter "y" was introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet to mark the "y" sound, inexistent in Latin, but frequently found in the numerous Hellinic loan words.
 "z" was also introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet to mark the "dz" sound, especially at the beginning of these words.

Roman speakers evidently used a series of voiceless aspirated stops, written ph [], th [], ch [x], originally borrowed from Hellinic words but also occurring in native words (pulcher= beautiful.) 
We also find the "rh",  not distinguished phonetically from "r", which was written only in the beginning of the Hellinic loan words  (like rhetor, rhombus etc.)

Some Prefixes and Suffixes of Hellinic origin in the Latin language:

prefixes

Hellinic form -> Latin adoption

- (doric )   -> in-
- (doric )   -> es-
- or -   -> ex-
- or -   -> cum-
-   -> pros-
-   -> pro-
-   -> ana-
-   -> cata-
-   -> dia / di-
-   -> met-
-   -> para/prae-
-   -> anti-
()-   -> amphi-
-   -> epi-
-   -> per-
-   -> ab-
-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
-   -> super-
-   -> ad-
-   -> at-
- (from )   -> re-
-   ->eu-

hyper-, hemi-, archi- and some more I obviously missed

suffixes

- ->  -us
- ->  -um
- ->  -ae
- ->  -er
- ->  -or
- ->  -is
- ->  -en
- ->  -ars
- (doric ) ->  -unt

So if there is no connection, influence, similar origin or whatever other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven examples?

human View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote human Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 06:00

Originally posted by AIAS

Some examples:

We know of "letter changes" (don't know the correct 'term") in adopted words like:

-> R      as seen in  -> rabies
-> L       as seen in  ->Ulysses
->T       as seen in  -> studeo
-> G       as seen in   ->  genus
H -> E       as seen in -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in -> umber
> F or D    as seen in -> fores
-> M        as seen in   -> Deus

- (doric )   -> in-
- (doric )   -> es-
- or -   -> ex-
- or -   -> cum-
-   -> pros-
-   -> pro-
-   -> ana-
-   -> cata-
-   -> dia / di-
-   -> met-
-   -> para/prae-
-   -> anti-
()-   -> amphi-
-   -> epi-
-   -> per-
-   -> ab-
-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
-   -> super-
-   -> ad-
-   -> at-
- (from )   -> re-
-   ->eu-

suffixes

- ->  -us
- ->  -um
- ->  -ae
- ->  -er
- ->  -or
- ->  -is
- ->  -en
- ->  -ars
- (doric ) ->  -unt

So if there is no connection, influence, similar origin or whatever other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven examples?

i wonder why too....

You Got to Lose to Know How to Win...
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 08:44
Come on, guys, the Romans were not hellenised. The Romans were just inspired by the hellenic civilisation, in some things. Nothing else. The only thing that this thread provides is more ground for controversy. Let's talk about history instead...
CARRY NOTHING
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 12:46

Originally posted by Menippos

Come on, guys, the Romans were not hellenised. The Romans were just inspired by the hellenic civilisation, in some things. Nothing else. The only thing that this thread provides is more ground for controversy. Let's talk about history instead...

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:15

Carl D. Buck may support that there is "little in common" between Latin
and Hellinic but does he explain the coincidence of prefixes, suffixes
and roots?

If these two languages are 'alien' to each other and are "studied as a
pair for cultural reasons only" why do we find the previously mentioned
connections?

Some examples:

-> R      as seen in -> rabies
-> L       as seen in ->Ulysses
->T       as seen in -> studeo
-> G       as seen in -> genus
H -> E       as seen in -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in -> umber
> F or D    as seen in -> fores
-> M        as seen in    -> Deus

We also know that the Hellinic rough breathing is "covered" in Latin by "inserting" the letters h, s, v

The letter "y" was introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "y" sound, inexistent in Latin, but frequently found in the
numerous Hellinic loan words.
"z" was also introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "dz" sound, especially at the beginning of these words.

Roman speakers evidently used a series of voiceless aspirated stops,
written ph [], th [], ch [x], originally borrowed from Hellinic words
but also occurring in native words (pulcher= beautiful.) We also find the "rh", not distinguished phonetically from "r",
which was written only in the beginning of the Hellinic loan
words (like rhetor, rhombus etc.)

prefixes

- (doric )   -> in-
- (doric )   -> es-
- or -   -> ex-
- or -   -> cum-
-   -> pros-
-   -> pro-
-   -> ana-
-   -> cata-
-   -> dia / di-
-   -> met-
-   -> para/prae-
-   -> anti-
()-   -> amphi-
-   -> epi-
-   -> per-
-   -> ab-
-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
-   -> super-
-   -> ad-
-   -> at-
- (from )   -> re-
-   ->eu-

suffixes

- -> -us
- -> -um
- -> -ae
- -> -er
- -> -or
- -> -is
- -> -en
- -> -ars
- (doric ) -> -unt

So if there is no connection, influence, similar origin or whatever
other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven
examples?

They both descend from the proto-language indo-european. We can make very similar ties between Spanish and Persian , for example. This doesn't mean that Spanish descended from Greek.

other term one may choose to use.

A failed try at distorting the counter-argument. Read again the thread to follow the discussion correctly.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:16

Carl D. Buck may support that there is "little in common" between Latin
and Hellinic but does he explain the coincidence of prefixes, suffixes
and roots?

If these two languages are 'alien' to each other and are "studied as a
pair for cultural reasons only" why do we find the previously mentioned
connections?

Some examples:

-> R      as seen in -> rabies
-> L       as seen in ->Ulysses
->T       as seen in -> studeo
-> G       as seen in -> genus
H -> E       as seen in -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in -> umber
> F or D    as seen in -> fores
-> M        as seen in    -> Deus

The letter "y" was introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "y" sound, inexistent in Latin, but frequently found in the
numerous Hellinic loan words.
"z" was also introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "dz" sound, especially at the beginning of these words.

Roman speakers evidently used a series of voiceless aspirated stops,
written ph [], th [], ch [x], originally borrowed from Hellinic words
but also occurring in native words (pulcher= beautiful.) We also find the "rh", not distinguished phonetically from "r",
which was written only in the beginning of the Hellinic loan
words (like rhetor, rhombus etc.)

prefixes

- (doric )   -> in-
- (doric )   -> es-
- or -   -> ex-
- or -   -> cum-
-   -> pros-
-   -> pro-
-   -> ana-
-   -> cata-
-   -> dia / di-
-   -> met-
-   -> para/prae-
-   -> anti-
()-   -> amphi-
-   -> epi-
-   -> per-
-   -> ab-
-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
-   -> super-
-   -> ad-
-   -> at-
- (from )   -> re-
-   ->eu-

suffixes

- -> -us
- -> -um
- -> -ae
- -> -er
- -> -or
- -> -is
- -> -en
- -> -ars
- (doric ) -> -unt

other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven
examples?

They both descend from the proto-language indo-european. We can make very similar ties between Spanish and Persian , for example. This doesn't mean that Spanish descended from Greek.

other term one may choose to use.

A failed try at distorting the counter-argument. Read again the thread to follow the discussion correctly.

I agree with the two posts above: we may want to go back to true history instead of fighting over speculations.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 14:19
Originally posted by hugoestr

]They both descend from the proto-language indo-european. We can make very similar ties between Spanish and Persian , for example. This doesn't mean that Spanish descended from Greek.

Well we know that Spanish was "developed" from vulgar Latin with influence from Arabic and Basque but anyway, do you know of any site etc. we could find the original Sanscrit prefixes and suffixes?
That would be quite interesting.

Edited by Phallanx
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 22:51
Sanskrit was believed to be proto-indo-european for a long time, but it was discovered, some time ago, that this wasn't the case.

I am sorry for the non-sequitor that I made earlier. I meant to say that Spanish is not a daughter language from Persian.

Spanish has about 10% of its vocabulary from Greek. They didn't get it through Latin, but most of it came directly from Greek, during the 16th century.

Let me look for a indo-european chart.

The only question now is, should I start a new thread on this topic in Anthropology and Linguistics?
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 05:11
It is probably the best course of action, if somebody cares to elaborate on the subject. However, I have read somewhere in the forums that the term IE is to be used only for anthropology and not for linguistic classification. Linguists, enlighten us.
CARRY NOTHING
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 10:54
The topic is in Antro/Linguistics forum now.
romanosstrategos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote romanosstrategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 13:18
this reply is directed against the austrian guy with his name
komnenos.
these words spoken on this page are the truth.
rome was a greek city. there is too much evidence for this.
germans and austrlians have an unusual fascination with greek
and byzantium history.
the reasons for this and what antagonises me is that germans
claim byzantium and roman heritage as there own.
there continual interest, museum display biases,
constantinople relics in private collections of germans, german
specialists in ancient greek language, replicating the
patheonon in 3d dimensions on computer funded in gemrnay
etc etc--show there interest is more a belief they have some
common heritage or rather i believe a cultural inferiority
complex.
the core of this problem is that western historical perspective is
biased with the claim of roman identity.
the barbarians of the west always accepted that the roman
emperor had universal jurisdiction of its citizens from
contantinople, but in the 18th century the re romantisation era
in germany led to germans founding the false claim that " we
also like the byzantium's had a 1000yr reich and that was the
holy roman empire".
so what was in effect a sporadic bunch of loosey fitted
confederate of feudal kingdoms always at war with eachother
now modern historians call the holy roman empire. yeah right!!
voltaire' is right when he said that this holy roman empire
claimed by the germans was neither holy neither roman and
neither an empire
but the germans have claimed this empire existed since the
coronation of chalamagne a violent brute who was a
barbarians and of course illiterate.
the dark ages never occured in the east but only in t he west
where the roman civil structures were displaced until napoleon
code and the roman revolution turned french revolution in the
18th century. the incredible part is that these barbarians
enslaved europe right up to the 18th century .
but in roman society that continued in the east until the
crusaders sake of 1204, people were not slaves but citizens to
a republic. like every french person knows in that scene of a fim
with billy zane and the beautiful girl embrace with the beret
speaking about the revolution and the old respublica
the empire of the romans of constantinople

strategos romanos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>