Print Page | Close Window

The Romans were Hellenized B.C

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4131
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 05:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Romans were Hellenized B.C
Posted By: GENERAL PARMENION
Subject: The Romans were Hellenized B.C
Date Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 15:01
The Romans were Hellenized B.C.

The bilinguality of the Romans appears on the stage of history in the first written documents of Roman history which witness that our Roman forefathers are in inseparable part of Hellenic Civilization long before Justinian the Great and long before Constantine the Great.

Already some 700 years before Constantine the Great moved Rome to the East, to wit already in the 4th century B.C., Plato’s student Heracleides of Pontus calls Rome a “Hellenic city”,.......

The first author in history to write in the Latin language was Hellene named Livius Andronikus. In the 3rd century B.C. he translated Homer in order to use him as a textbook to teach Latin and Greek to his Roman students. He also translated other works from Greek and wrote the first Roman theatrical works and poems. Thus from the very beginning the tradition was established whereby educated Romans learned Greek as the prototype of Roman letters. Thus rooted, bilinguality never ceased directing the evolution of the Hellenic Civilization of the Romans.

The first two historians of Rome, Fabius Pictor and Cincius Alimentus, were Romans who wrote their histories about 200 B.C. not in Latin but in Greek.

From about 150 B.C. all educated Romans knew the Greek language and literature well.

At about this time even the more rustic Roman elite, who as a group were at first hestitant vis-ΰ-vis Greek, were compelled to learn Greek for commerce and for the administration of the Greek-speaking provinces.

From the first century on it became customary for Roman aristocrats to complete their education by studying in Greece

In 91 B.C. he last major war broke out between. Latins and Romans. About one year prior to this, in 92 B.C., the Romans closed the Latin schools of rhetoric and thus compelled the students in Rome to study at the Greek schools alone. In time the Latin schools reopened and the use of Latin was strengthened since the Latins faithful to Rome were used in the colonization of new Western provinces.

During this period the position of translator in the Roman Senate was abolished and the use of Greek without translation was permitted to visiting speakers, since all the Roman elite knew Greek fluently.

Almost all the emperors knew but among them Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar, Tiberius, Nero, Vespasian, Trajan, Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius, and others had an exceptional knowledge of Greek.. Julius Caesar, Tiberius and Marcus Aurelius wrote Greek works.

The most prominent Roman writers who wrote also in Greek, are among others, Cicero, Germanicus and Souetonius.

Some sources report that the last words uttered by Julius Caesar while being stabbed to death were directed to Brutus in Greek, ....; “You too, my child?”

http://www.romanity.org/htm/ro3enke.htm#con -

The ordinary people of Rome also spoke Greek

During the first and second centuries AD it became common for Romans in Rome to be mother-taught in the Greek language since it had become a household language.

St. Paul, himself a Roman, wrote his epistle to the Romans in Greek, a clear proof that the ordinary people of Rome spoke Greek.

The liturgy of the Church of Rome was performed in Greek till the 4th century, another clear proof that Greek was the language of the masses.

All the first Christian writers of the Western provinces and the bishops of Rome wrote in Greek.

The Greek language was so wide-spread that Juvenal, the satirist born a Latin outside Rome, was moved to write, “I cannot bear, Oh Citizens, the City Greek” (non possom ferre, Quiritos, Graecam Urbem).

Greek was the prevalent language in the whole area of Rome until the middle of the fourth century when it weakened its hold because Rome was moved to the East and almost the whole City migrated. The void which was thus created was filled mostly by Latin-speaking Romans and for this reason, about fifty years later, Pope Damasus was compelled to introduce more Latin into the worship of Old Rome.

From all the above, but also from many other factors, it is clear that Old Rome was identified with the Hellenic world and civilization many centuries before Constantine the Great.

-------------
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Replies:
Posted By: Phallanx
Date Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 21:23
Great info General

If we take it a bit further back, we find more connections.
We know that one of the founding people of Rome were the "Sabines", of  Hellinic origin, to be exact, the Sabines had migrated to Italy from Lacedaemonia in Southern Hellas.
(Plutarch's Lives, Romulus, XVI)
Porcius Cato and Gaius Semporonis among others mention their Hellinic origin as mentioned by Dionysius of Halicarnassus "Roman Antiquities, I, XI" and  Livy "From the Founding of the City," I, 5-II, 6.

Romans, Latins and Sabines had agreed that the name quiris/quiretes would be their common name which is translated as citizen.
But the Romans had a name for citizens, like the Hellinic, polites, i.e. civitas.
The names quiris-quiretes obviously derives from the Hellinic, name kouros-kouretes which means young men of fighting age and therefore warriors, “young men,young warriors,” Iliad 19. 193, 248.
So the Romans, Latins and Sabines called themselves first “warriors” and then citizens.

Because all three groups of Romans, Latins and Sabines came to Italy by sea from Hellas and Anatolia they were warrior sailors and sea faring peoples.
It is obviously for this reason that at their weddings they shouted the Hellinic word "Thalassios" = sailor, at the groom and not the Latin name marinos.

-------------
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.

Posted By: Nikas
Date Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 21:45

Another interesting point is the 'Roma' does not have a satisfactory meaning in Latin, but in ancient Greek 'Rhommios' means power or force.

Coincidence?

Date Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 22:10
Nikas

Good point!!

Actually the closest word to Rome in Latin is 'ruo' which is connected to the Hellinic verb 'reo' and means “to flow, run, to hasten.”

There are a couple of theories on the origin of Rome's name.

One of them, is that Rome derives from "gruma or groma" that means "cross roads".
Another theory is, that it derives from a supposed deity "Roma" but she was really more of a personification representing the Roman State, this theory can be easily dismissed since the first appearance of any refference or a temple dedicated to her is 269 BC on Roman coins and 195 BC in Smyrna a temple.
Others again connect the name to the "Ruma", an older name of Tiber river, which is either of Etruscan origin or from the Hellinic "rhein" or "rheuma"  that means "to flow"

Then again, there is what you posted.
The city's name most probably derives from the Hellinic "rhome" and means "bodily strength, might, power".
More evidence to support this, is Rome's other name,  "Valentia" which in Latin (from "valens") means "STRONG"!!!

Obviously NOT a coincidence

-------------
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 13:40
Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

The Romans were Hellenized B.C

I believe it is common practise to mention the title, place and date of a publication and the name of the author when one copies and pastes an entire article of his. Otherwise, one might think it's your own work.
As you seem to have forgotten, I'll do it for you:

http://www.romanity.org/htm/ro3enke.htm#m23 - The Romans were Hellenized B.C.

PS: Maybe you should at least have mentioned that the article was written by a Greek author, in order to give more weight to the argument contained in it.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Date Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 14:48
PS: Maybe you should at least mention that the article was written by a Greek, in order to give more weight to the argument contained in it.

Why is it of any importance if the article was written by a Hellin, German, Spaniard or Brit, since the author does nothing more than quote original Latin and Hellinic sources?
If we could find examples of him intentionally manipulating or mistranslating the texts I could understand it but in this case, I honestly fail to see why.

-------------

Posted By: dorian
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 14:50
Romans were also influenced by the Greek culture before the conquest of Greece through the Greek cities of southern Italy. Even the Latin alphabet derived from the Greek.

-------------
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his MacedoniaοΏ½Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM

Date Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 15:38
Originally posted by Phallanx

Why is it of any importance if the article was written by a Hellin,
German, Spaniard or Brit, since the author does nothing more than quote
original Latin and Hellinic sources?

As neither I nor anybody else, who might want against better advice, to read the above article, has the neither the time nor the means to examine the validity of the original sources or their acceptable interpretation, it might have been fair to mention that the thesis contained in the article was not the result of a conference of international eminent academics, but the work of a sole Greek author.
The reader then could make up his own mind, if the arguments brought forward in the work were the results of more than a purely academic interest.

Come on, let's not be so naive, if I were to post an academic article by a German author that claimed, for example, that the Germans were the Master-Race of humanity, you would be very supicious, wouldn't you?

-------------

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 21:00

Originally posted by Komnenos

Come on, let's not be so naive, if I were to post an academic article by a German author that claimed, for example, that the Germans were the Master-Race of humanity, you would be very supicious, wouldn't you?

This topic does not talk of Greek superiority or anything of that such, so your example does not follow. The Romans love for greek culture is not hidden, it is very easy to find, so this topic is not radical such as your German Master Race idea.

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Date Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 23:37

]Come on, let's not be so naive, if I were to post an academic article by a German author that claimed, for example, that the Germans were the Master-Race of humanity, you would be very supicious, wouldn't you?

You know that we could find a couple of examples of International eminent academic conferences have been proven to be nothing more than decissions based on mistranslations and totall ignorance of the topic to begin with.

The way I understand your post, it's like saying that since it was "the work of a sole Greek author" we must be cautious, obviously due to some probable nationalistic agenda of the author.
And what do you mean by "against better advise".
If you or anyone else can prove by a very simple search, that this is indeed a nationalistic article written in order to support some delusion of Hellinic superiority please do find the time and point out the fallacy in the article. I for one would trully be obliged.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 07:36
This site if unacceptable and false. It's evidently clear.  I mean, this has been written by (most likely, anyway) some renegade Greek man who is attempting to spread lies and false evidence in an effort to convince the people that everything in the world is Greek. I mean really, this guy is “envisioning” a plan to make some sort of Greek Empire with (most likely) Constantinople as its capital city. It's so blatantly obvious that this isn't a credible source whatsoever and can be discredited. Anyone know who exactly is this John S. Romanides? Or why he is credible, or where he gets this research? This whole site is a renegade, fascist Greek website that is full of lies to get their way. The only way this source can be correct is if we can get the same response from a different source, with cold hard FACTS.

Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 08:39
TheSicilianVespers

I suggest you look up the lives of Livius Andronikus,  Fabius Pictor, Cincius Alimentus,Julius Caesar, Tiberius and Marcus Aurelius and the rest mentioned, there are many sites that will support what he has written.

Then read a bit about what Livy has written, you will find :

" It is said that the festival of the Lupercalia, which is still observed, was even in those days celebrated on the Palatine hill. This hill was originally called Pallantium from a city of the same name in Arcadia; the name was afterwards changed to Palatium. Evander, an Arcadian, had held that territory many ages before, and had introduced an annual festival from Arcadia in which young men ran about naked for sport and wantonness, in honour of the Lycaean Pan, whom the Romans afterwards called Inuus."
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0026&layout=&loc=1.5 - say that they were Greeks, part of those who once dwelt in Achaia, and that they migrated many generations before the Trojan war"

I suggest you read this whole page.
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Dionysius_of_Halicarnassus/1B*.html - Link

After you're done finding sources about the lives of the people mentioned  and reading the links provided.
Please do return to John S. Romanides' site, you'll find all the sources he's used. Do look them up, do some research and then and only then title him a "renegade attempting to spread lies and false evidence". Untill you do this simple task, neither you nor anyone else can question his research.

I noticed your Italian, do you have any info on the people of Calabria?

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 12:19
Originally posted by TheSicilianVespers

This site if unacceptable and false. It's evidently
clear.  I mean, this has been written by (most likely, anyway)
some renegade Greek man who is attempting to spread lies and false
evidence in an effort to convince the people that everything in the
world is Greek. I mean really, this guy is “envisioning” a plan to make
some sort of Greek Empire with (most likely) Constantinople as its
capital city. It's so blatantly obvious that this isn't a credible
source whatsoever and can be discredited. Anyone know who exactly is
this John S. Romanides? Or why he is credible, or where he gets this
research? This whole site is a renegade, fascist Greek website that is
full of lies to get their way. The only way this source can be correct
is if we can get the same response from a different source, with cold
hard FACTS.

Thanks for going where I didn't dare!

BTW: Like your user name!

-------------

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 12:24

After you're done finding sources about the lives of the people mentioned  and reading the links provided.
Please do return to John S. Romanides' site, you'll find all the sources he's used. Do look them up, do some research and then and only then title him a "renegade attempting to spread lies and false evidence". Untill you do this simple task, neither you nor anyone else can question his research.

I've read plenty, and can still say that the work of one random guy (does he even have a degree to his name?), who, because of his nationality could very well have Greek leanings, will make me believe Rome was a purely Hellenic culture.

I'm curious, what was the point in trying to make us believe Rome was Hellenic ?  I'd say it has something to do with a very clear pro-Greek agenda several of our members have...

-------------
τρέφΡται δέ, α½€ Ξ£ΟŽΞΊΟΞ±Ο„Ξ·Ο‚, ΟˆΟ…Ο‡α½΄ τίνι;

Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 12:53
I think that the trouble here is that Romans were not Hellenized but just influenced by the Greek culture something that is undeniable (I think, coz here you can never be absolutely sure). It's well known that Romans conquered Greece with the army but Greece conquered the Romans with its civilization. Of course the Roman (Western) Empire cannot be considered as Hellenic contrary to the Eastern-Byzantine Empire which was a Hellenic multi-ethnic Empire. So, who is trying to say that everything on the world is Greek? Don't be so biased against us.

-------------
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his MacedoniaοΏ½Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM

Date Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 07:12
@Phallanx
But those quotes you've added don't mingle in with the theory he's putting on the table. They don't prove anything at all, it is simply saying that the Greeks existed on the Italian peninsula (which we all know is a fact). This book itself denies the Greek origins of Rome, but in fact states: “There are some who affirm that the Aborigines, from whom the Romans are originally descended, were natives of Italy, a stock which came into being spontaneously.” That alone is striking down either of those two quotes.  The second quote you've posted, notice how it's incomplete. It's taken out of context with the rest of the story, it's exposing a lie.

“But the most learned of the Roman historians, among whom is Porcius Cato, who compiled with the greatest care the 'origins'
Link to the editor's note at the bottom of this page of the Italian cities, Gaius Sempronius” (Look on how the word origins has quotation marks surrounding, hinting at some type of lie or falseness.
 This was right before the second quote you listed.

“But they do not go on to indicate either the Greek tribe to which they belonged or the city from which they removed, or the date or the leader of the colony, or as the result of what turns of fortune they left their mother country; and although they are following a Greek legend, they have cited no Greek historian as their authority. It is uncertain, therefore, what the truth of the matter is. But if what they say is true, the Aborigines can be a colony of no other people but of those who are now called Arcadians; section 2for these were the first of all the Greeks to cross the Ionian Gulf, under the leadership of Oenotrus, the son of Lycaon, and to settle in Italy.”
(ignore the blue, I screwed up). Another piece of evidence showing that those historians have been lying, they've not proved themselves at all, so the author here is dismissing what they've said.

“And Antiochus of Syracuse,Link to the editor's note at the bottom of this pagea very early historian, in his account of the settlement of Italy, when enumerating the most ancient inhabitants in the order in which each of them held possession of any part of it, says that first who are reported to have inhabited that country are the Oenotrians.” This is all from the source you've provided for your quotes, and they condemn this theory of Greek Rome. This quote in particular goes on to say about how an Oenotrian king was named Iaulus, which eventually was why the people became known as Italians, and then it breaks down further into tribes after successive kings.

This book is not pointing toward Greek origins of Rome, or Italy, for that matter. By the way, I like what the Aeneid says more, it's a much better book

And no, unfortunately I have no information on Calabria, I'm Sicilian as you can see haha.

@Kommenos
I was offended at the embracing of this site, because it's obvious a biased site, as I'm willing to bet that no one could find any other site that confirms what this man is attempting to prove. If only one source says this, and takes all these quotes out of context (which this John S. Sominedes certainly did), then it's therefore unacceptable, and dismissed as historical fiction. Rome was surely influenced by Greek civilization, but twisting it to say that it was fully Greek is ridiculous, and more offensive than ever.

Date Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 23:39
Lannes

I'm obviously one of those members with the agenda you mention.
I find nothing wrong with presenting any kind of debatable info or source. Isn't that the purpose of joining any forum, to exchange ideas, facts and sources and then discuss the correctness of those sources and facts?

Why not debate on why this aticle is incorrect by presenting "your" sources, info and facts. Which is actually, the only correct way to argue on any topic, presenting "your proofs" against "mine".

Simply stating that he's of Hellinic origin and shouldn't be considered credible, is at least rediculous. It would be similar to me saying that all that do not accept this theory without having spent any time on searching it's probable correctness are all anti-Hellinic members.
Would that be of any value in this or any other kind of discussion?
I'd think not.

TheSicilianVespers

You once again jump to conclusions.
Dionysius of Halicarnassus, never once said that the Roman authors are liars, he clearly states that they do not state who, when or where they came from nor have they "cited no Greek historian as their authority".
And goes on to clear it for us by saying that they are obviously refering to those that passed the Ionian Gulf with Oenotrus.

"But if what they say is true, the Aborigines can be a colony of no other people but of those who are now called Arcadians; section 2for these were the first of all the Greeks to cross the Ionian Gulf, under the leadership of Oenotrus, the son of Lycaon, and to settle in Italy. this Oenotrus was the fifth from Aezeius and Phoroneus, who were the first kings in the Peloponnesus."

Interestingly enough even though you mention prefering Vergil's Aeneid, you probably missed the fact that he supports what Dionysius of Halicarnassus has written. As seen in I-532:

"We journey to a land
named, in Greek syllables, Hesperia:
a storied realm, made mighty by great wars
and wealth of fruitful land; in former days
Oenotrians had it, and their sons, 't is said,
have called it Italy, a chieftain's name
to a whole region given."

Or 3.165:

"There is a land the roving Greeks have named
Hesperia. It is a storied realm
made mighty by great wars and fruitful land.
Oenotrians had it, and their sons, 't is said,
have called it Italy, a chieftain's name
to a whole region given."

There might be a couple more I've missed.

That is the beauty of these theories. None of them are actually proven to be accurate or widely accepted but none of them can be totally discarded as false.
A theory is never considered to be fact but a simple attempt to explain the events.

While I must admit that I don't support everything presented in his site,  he obviously has done alot of research on this topic. You may find his articles offending but what is more offending is discrediting anyone's work without being able to give a good reason for it.
When you are able to present manipulated texts in his articles, false info.....,  then and only then may you reject his theory and title him or anyone else a radical nationalist.
Untill you're able to do so, I suggest a more open-minded approach that just might give you a totally different view on history as you know it.

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 02:53

I won't deny for a moment the Romans were heavily influenced by the Greeks, there is plenty of evidence to demonstrate that. But to actually go so far as to say the Romans were Hellenized is unfair. It defers alot of the credit that this magnificent culture deserves to be acknowledged for.

The Romans developed a unique and complex political structure. Some might liken it to the Spartan bi-monarchic system, which would be unfair as Rome's was different in so many ways such as the offices being temporary etc. The Romans did glean much from Greek architecture, but they innovated with new column designs, creating the proper arch we know of today and inventing the dome. The Romans also created an army based on very different rules of engagement, whos composition and function differed alot from Greek armies. Most Roman gods were Greek derived, but the Romans adopted cults from many areas; the eastern cult of Mithras and Egyptian cult of Isis being very popular.

The Greeks made valuable contributions to Roman civilization, but that civilization was in so many ways distinct and original in its own right. The author here makes some nice points, but fails to demonstrate Roman society was largely Hellenized. Marcus Porcius Cato, who I admittedly have not read for about six years, actually complains in the second century BC about the introduction of many Greek trends which he claims weakened Roman virtue. While I think he is a bit of a stuffy old man who dislikes the new "groovy" trends entering Roman society (we have alot of such men around today doing the same thing), the fact that an established aristocrat from a long time noble family is complaining about Greek customs entering Roman life demonstrates something: the Romans had their own distinctive culture which was original enough not to be synonymous with the Greeks. Also, why is it that AFTER the East Roman Empire is designated we find the local inhabitants pressuring the government from below to translate the language of law and government from Latin into Greek? If higher Roman society was as saturated with Greek culture as this author claims then a 300 year struggle to replace Latin with Greek as the language of officialdom should not be necessary. I have more points but work is finishing and I need to catch the train. Adios.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 03:10
Constantine XI

Just one comment on something I noticed
inventing the dome

Maybe you should take a look at the Mycenean tombs that are definitely dome shaped.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 03:21
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I won't deny for a moment the Romans were heavily influenced by the Greeks, there is plenty of evidence to demonstrate that. But to actually go so far as to say the Romans were Hellenized is unfair. It defers alot of the credit that this magnificent culture deserves to be acknowledged for.....

I agree with almost everything you've said, although I believe you're wasting your time trying to lead a discussion with well founded and unbiased arguments. The intention of the author of this article and the chap who pasted it onto AE is not to lead an intelligent debate about an disputable aspect of Greek-Roman relationship, but to, once again, unleash the claims of an alleged Greek cultural superiority onto the unsuspecting public.
I find it rather ironic that the Greek ultra-nationalist,who at every given opportunity stress the alleged all conquering superiority of the traditions of Greek antiquity, are probably in the least position to claim that heritage.
There are pieces of lemon peel floating down the Thames which have a greater right to claim descendance from the humanist, democratic, aesthetic and religious traditions of classical Greece and later epoches of Greek culture, than right-wing, Turk and Macedon bashing, xeno- and homophobic Greek ultra-nationalists, who, thank God, however only represent a very small minority both in Greece and AE.
The world is very much aware of what it owes Greek antiquity and the last thing we need are lectures by Greek nationalists.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 04:24
There are pieces of lemon peel floating down the Thames which have a greater right to claim descendance from the humanist, democratic, aesthetic and religious traditions of classical Greece and later epochs of Greek culture, than right-wing, Turk and Macedon bashing, xeno- and homophobic Greek ultra-nationalists, who, thank God, however only represent a very small minority both in Greece and AE.

Don't you just love it when in lack of any real arguments, we turn a discussion into personal attacks.

Why attempt to turn this into some nationalistic discussion when proof of our statements are all around you.
It is a fact that Hellinic colonies did exist before the founding of Rome. The Roman people were surrounded by Hellenized Etruscans in the north, and Hellinic colonists in Naples and Sicily in the south for hundreds of years.
We can actually find Hellinic influence in every single aspect of the Roman world.
Roman philosophy derived from Hellinic philosophy, Roman art derived from Hellinic art, Roman plays were strongly influenced by Hellinic plays, Roman religion was nothing more than the Hellinic Gods, Roman architecture was the adoption of the Doric, Ionic and Corinthian styles that gave birth to their own "hybrid" style named "Composite".
Hell, the Romans even connected themselves to the Hellinic world through their early history (Troyan cycle).

Name us "right-wing, Turk and Macedon bashing, xeno- and homophobic Greek ultra-nationalists" all you like, but facts are facts and won't change because of your prejudices and that fear of knowledge you seem to have.

Do yourself a favor and do a search on "Greek influence on Rome", you just might see that we ultra-right nationalists, are right.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 04:36

Parmenion & Phallanx, go a long way to show their ulta-right, nationalist face. I don't know guys, perhaps you read too much of "Tiletora" material, but trust me, while ancient Greece has given much to the (western) world and Rome was indeed influenced by the Greeks, it's far from being "Hellenized".

PS

Dome was indeed used by the Greeks but the Romans perfected it and invented the arch.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 05:46
Yiannis

Perfecting is quite different to inventing.
I suggest you change the word "invented" with "perfected" in your example of the arch. A simple look at the ancient city of Tyrinth or the "Arch bridge" just outside Asini prove the invention origin to be quite different.

Any info on what frequency  "Tiletora" is broadcasting???

-------------

Posted By: Menippos
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 06:40

LOL guys, I am enjoying this!

Most of the arguments presented here are either pro- or contra- this article/study/whatever. But how can one single individual cause so much controversy? I'll tell you how. Because some people are quick in adopting any attractive idea and others are absolutely adamant in rejecting any different idea. There are few of us in here (myself included) that sometimes are sweetened by something we read and sometimes we are terrified with the idea that history might actually not be what we have been brought up with. So any kind of presentation that either supports or discredits what we are accustomed with will find strong supporters as well as fierce rivals.

But back to the subject: No, Rome was not Hellenised or whatever-ised by anyone. It was Rome and it evolved. It was an empore which originated from many things, rose, peaked, and then declined and crumbled. As all empires. It was influenced and it changed, as it met new things, cultures, civilisations, customs, ideas and so on, during its expansion.

My view.

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Posted By: GENERAL PARMENION
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 06:44

Originally posted by Constantine XI

I won't deny for a moment the Romans were heavily influenced by the Greeks, there is plenty of evidence to demonstrate that. But to actually go so far as to say the Romans were Hellenized is unfair. It defers alot of the credit that this magnificent culture deserves to be acknowledged for.....

I agree with almost everything you've said, although I believe you're wasting your time trying to lead a discussion with well founded and unbiased arguments. The intention of the author of this article and the chap who pasted it onto AE is not to lead an intelligent debate about an disputable aspect of Greek-Roman relationship, but to, once again, unleash the claims of an alleged Greek cultural superiority onto the unsuspecting public.
I find it rather ironic that the Greek ultra-nationalist,who at every given opportunity stress the alleged all conquering superiority of the traditions of Greek antiquity, are probably in the least position to claim that heritage.
There are pieces of lemon peel floating down the Thames which have a greater right to claim descendance from the humanist, democratic, aesthetic and religious traditions of classical Greece and later epoches of Greek culture, than right-wing, Turk and Macedon bashing, xeno- and homophobic Greek ultra-nationalists, who, thank God, however only represent a very small minority both in Greece and AE.
The world is very much aware of what it owes Greek antiquity and the last thing we need are lectures by Greek nationalists.

I have long ago rested my case with you !!

-------------
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 08:05

.....right-wing, Turk and Macedon bashing, xeno- and homophobic Greek ultra-nationalists, who, thank God, however only represent a very small minority both in Greece and AE.

Well done Komnenos!!! You are a honest broker!

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 08:09
Originally posted by dorian

.....right-wing, Turk and Macedon bashing, xeno- and homophobic Greek ultra-nationalists, who, thank God, however only represent a very small minority both in Greece and AE.

Well done Komnenos!!! You are a honest broker!

Sorry, don't get it! Is that a compliment?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 08:11
LOL - just smile and say thanks

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 09:53

My apologies for the mistake about the dome. That is the great thing about this forum, we can make contributions to the study of history and at the same time each one of us is stimulated and encouraged to learn new things or correct false ideas. I suppose I made that statement because I remember seeing a huge Roman domed building in which stands that hallmark statue of Octavianus, while I had not seen anything of comparable splendour amongst ancient Greek remains. If you have a link I wouldn't mind checking out the classical Greek domes though.

Also I would like the check the credentials of this author. This is not the sort of thing that heats me up on an emotional level. There are alot of arguments either way about how Hellenized the Romans were, it is one of those issues where a debate can drag on for ever. In such instances where the sheer mass of different arguments make the whole topic totally inconclusive an examination of the credentials of the authors is often quite useful.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 10:23

I can't find a proper picture of the interior so please settle with these ones! The famous Roman dome that you refer to is probably the Pantheon. Of course the most famous of all domes is the Agia Sophia one!Sun's path inside Atreus

http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/lessons/les/19.html#2 - http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/l essons/les/19.html#2

http://home.att.net/~a.a.major/treasint.jpg">colored drawing of interior of Treasury of Atreus, Levi p27

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:08
Credentials.
Hmm, well from the little info I managed to find:

His studied in the (sorry but can't make out the school's name) school of the University of Massachusetts, the Orthodox school of Boston, Protestand studies at Yale, the Russian school of Theology of New York and at the Russian school of Theology at Paris.
In 1968 he was voted and in 1970 appointed Prof. at the Theologic school of the University of Thessaloniki, he was Dr. at the University of Massachusetts and was preparing to be appointed as History Prof. either at Harvard or Yale. In 1970 was appointed a visiting Prof. seat at the University of Balamand (sp?) of Lebannon. In 1984 he resigned from his seat in the University of Thessaloniki and spent his time writing untill his death in 2001.

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:24

For those who have the "fighting" mood:Guys,take a break.It's summer.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 13:40
Originally posted by Yiannis

PS

Dome was indeed used by the Greeks but the Romans perfected it and invented the arch.

well, the arch was invented by Assyrians, we already had that discussion and Ashur when he was still active had written an article about it.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 23:51
Originally posted by Temujin

well, the arch was invented by Assyrians, we already had that discussion and Ashur when he was still active had written an article about it.

I found a couple of references on it being a Sumerian invention but no pics nor date. Do you have any of either for the Assyrians?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 15:37

Credentials.
Hmm, well from the little info I managed to find:

His studied in the (sorry but can't make out the school's name) school of the University of Massachusetts, the Orthodox school of Boston, Protestand studies at Yale, the Russian school of Theology of New York and at the Russian school of Theology at Paris.
In 1968 he was voted and in 1970 appointed Prof. at the Theologic school of the University of Thessaloniki, he was Dr. at the University of Massachusetts and was preparing to be appointed as History Prof. either at Harvard or Yale. In 1970 was appointed a visiting Prof. seat at the University of Balamand (sp?) of Lebannon. In 1984 he resigned from his seat in the University of Thessaloniki and spent his time writing untill his death in 2001.

Isn't it funny how this man has only gone to either Orthodox or Greek universities or schooling? He has no sources, there are no other sites that support it, so case closed. It's not that hard to understand. I understand you're being nationalistic, but get real!

Posted By: jdb777
Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 15:46
harken back to the foundings of Rome, listen to the poetry of Virgil, observe the Roman Gods...voila...lol

-------------
"It is well war is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it." Robert E. Lee

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 17:21
Originally posted by TheSicilianVespers

] Isn't it funny how this man has only gone to either Orthodox or Greek universities or schooling? He has no sources, there are no other sites that support it, so case closed. It's not that hard to understand. I understand you're being nationalistic, but get real!

As much as I want to be calm, another internet scholar always pops up with the deluted idea of knowing everything.

What difference would it have made if he had studied Islam or Buddhism the topic is actually Historic and not Theologic!!!!!
Had you understood the first thing about histric facts, you would have avoided the nationalistic BS and searched for the sources he used.
(it's funny how you're able to judge me, having had only 7 posts in these fora and talked to me what 1-2 times? let others that know be better do the judging)

You once again speak of sources and sites, whoever told you that there is a site that will always serve you in a platter the knowledge you lack? (as seen in Vergil's Aeneid example)
Look up his sources (there are a load of links to classic texts in another topic) and find, not many, just one quote that has been manipulated by him and gives a totally different meaning than what he presents. Then and only then, may you speak of a rediculous theory and be Komnenos' parrot, babbling about nationalism.

-------------

Posted By: hugoestr
Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 17:46
Just a note about the Greek origen of the Roman people: Latin is a very different language than Greek, and it is not a descendent from it. This seems to indicate that the Romans didn't come from Greek stock.

The Roman culture and sensibilities were quite different too. Even after centuries of direct contact with Greece, the Romans kept their distinct character. Examing Roman and Greek philosophy, we find that Roman philosophers gravitate to practical matters, never achieving the same heights that Greek philosophy had (for that matter, no one really did in the Western world until Descartes).

Roman authors claiming Greek origens are attempting to shower their past with the glories of, what they believed, to be a superior civilization. This happens all the time. The Aztecs did the same with older MesoAmerican civilizations.

Besides, the fact that Romans are not ethnically Greek or were not completely hellenized doesn't take away any of the glories of Greek culture. The fact that Romans wanted to to see themselves as Greek descendents should be enough praise to the culture that founded the Western cultural tradition.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 18:19
hugoestr

Well you may be correct on the Romans attempting to connect themselves to the Hellinic world which is probably the reason we find so many references in their texts, it is probable but not definite.

As for the language, you're wrong. We could list literally thousands of words not to mention roots, prefixes and suffixes that are Hellinic in origin. Latin is definitely strongly influenced by the Hellinic lang. as my man Dionysus of Halicarnassus put it:

"The language spoken by the Romans is neither utterly barbarous nor absolutely Hellinic, but a mixture, as it were, of both, the greater part of which is Aeolic and the only disadvantage they have experienced from their intermingling with these various nations is that they do not pronounce all their sounds properly. But all other indications of a Hellinic origin they preserve beyond any other colonists."
(Roman Antiquities I-90)

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 19:21
Phallanx,

Latin and Greek are two very different langugages. Latin has five noun cases; Greek only has four. Greek has a dual person; Latin lacks its.

Even though Latin borrowed many words from Greek, the the words are different enough that most of us can easily tell words with Latin origens from Greek ones.

And there are many sounds in Greek that Latin didn't have. Latin transliterations had to invent letter clusters to stand for Greek sounds.

Besides, I am not breaking any ground here: the linguistic independence of Latin from Greek has been well established. Consult any language tree, and you will see that Latin doesn't come from Greek.

The writer you quote is another example of tying Rome to Greece. The similarities between the two language are due to their common indo-european roots. Given that linguistics had to wait until the 19th century to be invented, the conclusion from the ancient is not surprising: Greece had the acknowledged higher civilization, and it only made sense that the similarities were due to Latin's being a daugther language from Greek.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 20:26
Hmm, I think you mean Latin has 6 and Hellinic 5 noun cases, unless you're refering to "declensions" where we find 5 Latin and 3 Hellinic.
I never did claim that Latin derives from Hellinic, I said "strongly influenced" and of course there are other much closer related lang. to Latin like the Italic lang. than the Hellinic is. But the Hellinic lang. is actully so closely related and has so strongly influenced Latin, that every linguist finds knowledge of it essential in finding etymologies.

As for the writer, Dionysus of Halicarnassus was no Roman, he was totally Hellinic in origin, so your theory, as do most theories, seems to have some flaws. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:53

Of course Greek and Latin are two different languages. But Latin has more similarities in comparison with the Greek than with the other ancient Indoeuropean languages. But we can't claim that it's a descendant of the Greek language. Only the Latin alphabet derives from the Greek.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:59
Phallanx,

Please lower your tone. Your aggressive counter-argument may sound good, but aggressiveness alone will not win intellectual debates.

It seems that you failed to read closely my posts.

You are aggressively fighting against points I have never made, and you are unware of points that you are in fact making, although tacitly.

Let me remind you of the main points in our short debate about Latin coming from Greek

Originally posted by hugoestr

Just a note about the Greek origen of the Roman people: Latin is a very different language than Greek, and it is not a descendent from it. This seems to indicate that the Romans didn't come from Greek stock.

As for the language, you're wrong. We could list literally thousands of words not to mention roots, prefixes and suffixes that are Hellinic in origin. Latin is definitely strongly influenced by the Hellinic lang. as my man Dionysus of Halicarnassus put it:

"The language spoken by the Romans is neither utterly barbarous nor absolutely Hellinic, but a mixture, as it were, of both, the greater part of which is Aeolic and the only disadvantage they have experienced from their intermingling with these various nations is that they do not pronounce all their sounds properly. But all other indications of a Hellinic origin they preserve beyond any other colonists."
(Roman Antiquities I-90)

My main claim is that Latin is quite different from Greek and it is not a descendent of it.

You flatly refute my argument, implying that they are close and that Latin comes from Greek. You then qualify your statement saying that Latin was strongly influenced, and then you restate with your quote the thesis that Latin came from Greek.

When I proved you wrong about this statement, you argued as if I denied all influence of the Greek language on Latin. I certainly never claim such a thing.

You did go ahead and made another sweeping and indefensible claim.

But the Hellinic lang. is actully so closely related and has so strongly influenced Latin, that every linguist finds knowledge of it essential in finding etymologies.

I already pointed out how modern historical linguists have come to the conclusion that the strong connection that you are making doesn't exist between Latin and Greek.

Latin adopted many Greek words, but they tended to stick to ones with Latin origen. A good example of this is reading philosophy in Latin: instead of using Greek words, authors like Cicero use clunky Latin equivalents instead.

This preference towards Latin was also expressed in theological writings. During the early Dark Ages, the Rome was had been under the influence of Greek civilization for centuries. Theology got its start in the East, and most of its technical language was originally created in Latin. Slowly, many of these terms got a Latin equivalent.

Besides, my linguistic argument was made as more evidence that the Romans are not Greek descendents.

There really is no reason to attempt to elevate ancient Greek civilization with these claims; Greek civilization stands as a titan in the Western world by its own right.

P.S. I didn't count the vocative as a case. It was mainly used in poetry, and most textbooks in both languages don't bother with it too much. Also, claiming false ties go both ways: conquered Greeks were tying themselves to the fortunes of Rome by stating that Romans came from Greece.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 18:20
hugoestr

You must be joking. Where in this topic was I ever agressive, where do I 'attack' anyone and especially you???
It seems like you and Komnenos are holding a little grudge after our homo dispute. No prob. you'll get over it.

Interestingly enough, even though you quote my posts, you never once managed to present not even one single quote of my using the word "descendent" simply because I never did.

True I strongly support the well known fact that ancient Hellinic has  strongly influenced Latin, but according to your sources, even though we know of the indisputable fact of roots, prefixes, suffixes and literally thousands of loan words, there are linguists that would deny a strong connection???
Who exactly named these wanna-be's linguists???

Cicero?
Yeah one example to prove what exactly, that he attempted to denounce his proven past?
The article presents a list of names that all wrote in the Hellinic lang. Hell even Ceasar's last words were in Hellinic as Roman historians admit:

"And in this wise he was stabbed with three and twenty wounds, uttering not a word, but merely a groan at the first stroke, though some have written that when Marcus Brutus rushed at him, he said in Greek, 'You too, my child?"
Suetonius L X X X I I.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/suetonius-julius.html - Link

So we either come to the conclusion that none of them, not even one knew what they were talking about or there is alot more behind these "stories" than some would like to admit.

Why do you think that this is some attempt to "elevate" the Hellinic culture? Is this not a history thread?
This topic is nothing more than quoting ancient writers either Romans or Hellines, it's nothing more than history. Do you honestly believe that there is any more reliable source than the historians/writers of that time?

"Besides, my linguistic argument was made as more evidence that the Romans are not Greek descendents"

Direct descendants maybe not, but based on the fact that the Sabines were a Hellinic people, the Roman myths speak of Troyan descent and our knowledge of the many Hellinic colonies in Italy. Make it simple logic that they had strong connections, not only cultural but also by blood.

-------------

Posted By: TheodoreFelix
Date Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 18:32
...but based on the fact that the Sabines were a Hellenic people

Werent Sabines a Oscan speaking people?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 19:35
Iskender Bey ALBO

True that is one of the theories but unfortunately no real evidence to support it. What is quite interesting is that they introduced "Quirinus" which was as most sources support a "God of war". As I mentioned before, they used the "term" quiris/quiretes for their people, which is translated as citizen.

Now, we know that the Romans had a name for citizens, "civitas".
The names quiris-quiretes obviously derives from the Hellinic, name kouros-kouretes which means "young men of fighting age" and therefore warriors, “young men, young warriors,” as seen in Iliad 19. 193, 248.
(Notice the similarity to the God's name)

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 11:18
Phallanx,

I will stop mentioning your aggressive argumentative style because it seems that it leads no where. I will mention again your failure to read my posts carefully.

I already address the structural differences between Latin and Greek. If there are so many words that Latin borrowed, please present it. Avoid folk etymologies, please.

I explained how you tacitly--that means "silently", meaning, you didn't explicitly say so--advanced the argument that Latin came from Greek. Here it is again.

You flatly refute my argument, implying that they are close and that Latin comes from Greek. You then qualify your statement saying that Latin was strongly influenced, and then you restate with your quote the thesis that Latin came from Greek.

You could have said: "yes, you are right. I made it look like I was arguing for Latin being a descendent from Greek, but that wasn't my intention."

Instead you challanged me to find where did you explicitly used the word "descending." No one is stupid around here, so your ploy will not work. Either state that you miscommunicated or defend your position. You can't play it both ways.

Let's examine again another version of the same ploy. You contradict yourself in this paragraph:

Direct descendants maybe not, but based on the fact that the Sabines were a Hellinic people, the Roman myths speak of Troyan descent and our knowledge of the many Hellinic colonies in Italy. Make it simple logic that they had strong connections, not only cultural but also by blood.

You are saying that they are not direct descendents, and then you state that they are.

Connecting a great culture to one of our own is a common practice. In fact, the Greek writer that you originally quoted seems to be doing this too. For some strange reason, he decided to attempt to increase the prestige of Greek civilization by stating that Rome comes from Greece.

Let me repeat this one more time: Greek civilization shines with its own light. There is no need to attempt to join racially Rome And Greece. Ancient Greece outshines Rome.

Not only did it have a more intellectually advance culture, but it was also the center of commerce and wealth throughout the Roman Empire. The area and culture was so important that the center of the Empire was moved to the East.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 11:27
Here is a reference to text that explain the differences between Latin and Greek.

Latin didn't grow out of Greek. They are two separate descendents of Proto-Indo-European. See Andrew L. Sihler, A New Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin, (New York & Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995), which is an extensive rewrite of Carl D. Buck, A Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin, (Chicago, 1952), updated to include Myceneaean sources. Buck is still worthwhile though, especially for the sections on the fundamentals of historical linguistics (pp. 35-63).

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/22/003.html - http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/22/003.html

Here is a description of the book:
Description
Like Carl Darling Buck's Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin (1933), this book is an explanation of the similarities and differences between Greek and Latin morphology and lexicon through an account of their prehistory. It also aims to discuss the principal features of Indo-European linguistics. Greek and Latin are studied as a pair for cultural reasons only; as languages, they have little in common apart from their Indo-European heritage. Thus the only way to treat the historical bases for their development is to begin with Proto-Indo-European. The only way to make a reconstructed language like Proto-Indo-European intelligible and intellectually defensible is to present at least some of the basis for reconstructing its features and, in the process, to discuss reasoning and methodology of reconstruction (including a weighing of alternative reconstructions). The result is a compendious handbook of Indo-European phonology and morphology, and a vade mecum of Indo-European linguistics--the focus always remaining on Greek and Latin. The non-classical sources for historical discussion are mainly Vedic Sanskrit, Hittite, and Germanic, with occasional but crucial contributions from Old Irish, Avestan, Baltic, and Slavic.

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Linguistics/~~/c2Y9YWxsJnNzPWF1dGhvci5hc2Mmc2Q9YXNjJnBmPTMwJnZpZXc9dXNhJnByPTEwJmJvb2tDb3ZlcnM9eWVzJmNpPTAxOTUwODM0NTg= - http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Linguistics/~~ /c2Y9YWxsJnNzPWF1dGhvci5hc2Mmc2Q9YXNjJnBmPTMwJnZpZXc9dXNhJnB yPTEwJmJvb2tDb3ZlcnM9eWVzJmNpPTAxOTUwODM0NTg=

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 12:16
I agree with Hugoestr

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 12:09
Carl D. Buck may support that there is "little in common" between Latin and Hellinic but does he explain the coincidence of prefixes, suffixes and roots?

If these two languages are 'alien' to each other and are "studied as a pair for cultural reasons only" why do we find the previously mentioned connections?

Some examples:

We know of "letter changes" (don't know the correct 'term") in adopted words like:

Ρ->L        as seen in σιρος -> silo
Λ -> R      as seen in  λαβρος -> rabies
Δ -> L       as seen in  Οδυσσεας ->Ulysses
Π ->T       as seen in  σπευδο -> studeo
Γ -> G       as seen in γενος  ->  genus
H -> E       as seen in Θυσαυρος -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in ομβρος -> umber
Θ > F or D    as seen in θυρα -> fores
Ν -> M        as seen in   Θεον -> Deus

We also know that the Hellinic rough breathing is "covered" in Latin by "inserting" the letters h, s, v

The letter "y" was introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet to mark the "y" sound, inexistent in Latin, but frequently found in the numerous Hellinic loan words.
 "z" was also introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet to mark the "dz" sound, especially at the beginning of these words.

Roman speakers evidently used a series of voiceless aspirated stops, written ph [φ], th [θ], ch [x], originally borrowed from Hellinic words but also occurring in native words (pulcher= beautiful.) 
We also find the "rh",  not distinguished phonetically from "r", which was written only in the beginning of the Hellinic loan words  (like rhetor, rhombus etc.)

Some Prefixes and Suffixes of Hellinic origin in the Latin language:

prefixes

Hellinic form -> Latin adoption

εν- (doric ιν)   -> in-
εις- (doric ες)   -> es-
εκ- or εξ-   -> ex-
συν- or ξυν-   -> cum-
προς-   -> pros-
προ-   -> pro-
ανα-   -> ana-
κατα-   -> cata-
δια-   -> dia / di-
μετα-   -> met-
παρα-   -> para/prae-
αντι-   -> anti-
αμφ(ι)-   -> amphi-
επι-   -> epi-
περι-   -> per-
απο-   -> ab-
υπο-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
υπερ-   -> super-
αντα-   -> ad-
αταρ-   -> at-
ρα- (from αρω)   -> re-
ευ-   ->eu-

hyper-, hemi-, archi- and some more I obviously missed

suffixes

-ος ->  -us
-ον ->  -um
-αι ->  -ae
-ηρ ->  -er
-ωρ ->  -or
-ις ->  -is
-ην ->  -en
-αριος ->  -ars
-ουσι (doric οντι) ->  -unt

So if there is no connection, influence, similar origin or whatever other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven examples?

-------------

Posted By: human
Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 06:00

Originally posted by AIAS

Some examples:

We know of "letter changes" (don't know the correct 'term") in adopted words like:

Λ -> R      as seen in  λαβρος -> rabies
Δ -> L       as seen in  Οδυσσεας ->Ulysses
Π ->T       as seen in  σπευδο -> studeo
Γ -> G       as seen in γενος  ->  genus
H -> E       as seen in Θυσαυρος -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in ομβρος -> umber
Θ > F or D    as seen in θυρα -> fores
Ν -> M        as seen in   Θεον -> Deus

εν- (doric ιν)   -> in-
εις- (doric ες)   -> es-
εκ- or εξ-   -> ex-
συν- or ξυν-   -> cum-
προς-   -> pros-
προ-   -> pro-
ανα-   -> ana-
κατα-   -> cata-
δια-   -> dia / di-
μετα-   -> met-
παρα-   -> para/prae-
αντι-   -> anti-
αμφ(ι)-   -> amphi-
επι-   -> epi-
περι-   -> per-
απο-   -> ab-
υπο-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
υπερ-   -> super-
αντα-   -> ad-
αταρ-   -> at-
ρα- (from αρω)   -> re-
ευ-   ->eu-

suffixes

-ος ->  -us
-ον ->  -um
-αι ->  -ae
-ηρ ->  -er
-ωρ ->  -or
-ις ->  -is
-ην ->  -en
-αριος ->  -ars
-ουσι (doric οντι) ->  -unt

So if there is no connection, influence, similar origin or whatever other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven examples?

i wonder why too....

-------------
You Got to Lose to Know How to Win...

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 08:44
Come on, guys, the Romans were not hellenised. The Romans were just inspired by the hellenic civilisation, in some things. Nothing else. The only thing that this thread provides is more ground for controversy. Let's talk about history instead...

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 12:46

Originally posted by Menippos

Come on, guys, the Romans were not hellenised. The Romans were just inspired by the hellenic civilisation, in some things. Nothing else. The only thing that this thread provides is more ground for controversy. Let's talk about history instead...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:15

Carl D. Buck may support that there is "little in common" between Latin
and Hellinic but does he explain the coincidence of prefixes, suffixes
and roots?

If these two languages are 'alien' to each other and are "studied as a
pair for cultural reasons only" why do we find the previously mentioned
connections?

Some examples:

Λ -> R      as seen in λαβρος -> rabies
Δ -> L       as seen in Οδυσσεας ->Ulysses
Π ->T       as seen in σπευδο -> studeo
Γ -> G       as seen in γενος -> genus
H -> E       as seen in Θυσαυρος -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in ομβρος -> umber
Θ > F or D    as seen in θυρα -> fores
Ν -> M        as seen in   Θεον -> Deus

We also know that the Hellinic rough breathing is "covered" in Latin by "inserting" the letters h, s, v

The letter "y" was introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "y" sound, inexistent in Latin, but frequently found in the
numerous Hellinic loan words.
"z" was also introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "dz" sound, especially at the beginning of these words.

Roman speakers evidently used a series of voiceless aspirated stops,
written ph [φ], th [θ], ch [x], originally borrowed from Hellinic words
but also occurring in native words (pulcher= beautiful.) We also find the "rh", not distinguished phonetically from "r",
which was written only in the beginning of the Hellinic loan
words (like rhetor, rhombus etc.)

prefixes

εν- (doric ιν)   -> in-
εις- (doric ες)   -> es-
εκ- or εξ-   -> ex-
συν- or ξυν-   -> cum-
προς-   -> pros-
προ-   -> pro-
ανα-   -> ana-
κατα-   -> cata-
δια-   -> dia / di-
μετα-   -> met-
παρα-   -> para/prae-
αντι-   -> anti-
αμφ(ι)-   -> amphi-
επι-   -> epi-
περι-   -> per-
απο-   -> ab-
υπο-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
υπερ-   -> super-
αντα-   -> ad-
αταρ-   -> at-
ρα- (from αρω)   -> re-
ευ-   ->eu-

suffixes

-ος -> -us
-ον -> -um
-αι -> -ae
-ηρ -> -er
-ωρ -> -or
-ις -> -is
-ην -> -en
-αριος -> -ars
-ουσι (doric οντι) -> -unt

So if there is no connection, influence, similar origin or whatever
other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven
examples?

They both descend from the proto-language indo-european. We can make very similar ties between Spanish and Persian , for example. This doesn't mean that Spanish descended from Greek.

other term one may choose to use.

A failed try at distorting the counter-argument. Read again the thread to follow the discussion correctly.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:16

Carl D. Buck may support that there is "little in common" between Latin
and Hellinic but does he explain the coincidence of prefixes, suffixes
and roots?

If these two languages are 'alien' to each other and are "studied as a
pair for cultural reasons only" why do we find the previously mentioned
connections?

Some examples:

Λ -> R      as seen in λαβρος -> rabies
Δ -> L       as seen in Οδυσσεας ->Ulysses
Π ->T       as seen in σπευδο -> studeo
Γ -> G       as seen in γενος -> genus
H -> E       as seen in Θυσαυρος -> thesaurus
O -> U       as seen in ομβρος -> umber
Θ > F or D    as seen in θυρα -> fores
Ν -> M        as seen in   Θεον -> Deus

The letter "y" was introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "y" sound, inexistent in Latin, but frequently found in the
numerous Hellinic loan words.
"z" was also introduced from the contemporary Hellinic alphabet
to mark the "dz" sound, especially at the beginning of these words.

Roman speakers evidently used a series of voiceless aspirated stops,
written ph [φ], th [θ], ch [x], originally borrowed from Hellinic words
but also occurring in native words (pulcher= beautiful.) We also find the "rh", not distinguished phonetically from "r",
which was written only in the beginning of the Hellinic loan
words (like rhetor, rhombus etc.)

prefixes

εν- (doric ιν)   -> in-
εις- (doric ες)   -> es-
εκ- or εξ-   -> ex-
συν- or ξυν-   -> cum-
προς-   -> pros-
προ-   -> pro-
ανα-   -> ana-
κατα-   -> cata-
δια-   -> dia / di-
μετα-   -> met-
παρα-   -> para/prae-
αντι-   -> anti-
αμφ(ι)-   -> amphi-
επι-   -> epi-
περι-   -> per-
απο-   -> ab-
υπο-   -> sub- (rough breathing is transformed into "s")
υπερ-   -> super-
αντα-   -> ad-
αταρ-   -> at-
ρα- (from αρω)   -> re-
ευ-   ->eu-

suffixes

-ος -> -us
-ον -> -um
-αι -> -ae
-ηρ -> -er
-ωρ -> -or
-ις -> -is
-ην -> -en
-αριος -> -ars
-ουσι (doric οντι) -> -unt

other term one may choose to use. Why do we have these well proven
examples?

They both descend from the proto-language indo-european. We can make very similar ties between Spanish and Persian , for example. This doesn't mean that Spanish descended from Greek.

other term one may choose to use.

A failed try at distorting the counter-argument. Read again the thread to follow the discussion correctly.

I agree with the two posts above: we may want to go back to true history instead of fighting over speculations.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 14:19

]They both descend from the proto-language indo-european. We can make very similar ties between Spanish and Persian , for example. This doesn't mean that Spanish descended from Greek.

Well we know that Spanish was "developed" from vulgar Latin with influence from Arabic and Basque but anyway, do you know of any site etc. we could find the original Sanscrit prefixes and suffixes?
That would be quite interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 22:51
Sanskrit was believed to be proto-indo-european for a long time, but it was discovered, some time ago, that this wasn't the case.

I am sorry for the non-sequitor that I made earlier. I meant to say that Spanish is not a daughter language from Persian.

Spanish has about 10% of its vocabulary from Greek. They didn't get it through Latin, but most of it came directly from Greek, during the 16th century.

Let me look for a indo-european chart.

The only question now is, should I start a new thread on this topic in Anthropology and Linguistics?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 05:11
It is probably the best course of action, if somebody cares to elaborate on the subject. However, I have read somewhere in the forums that the term IE is to be used only for anthropology and not for linguistic classification. Linguists, enlighten us.

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 10:54
The topic is in Antro/Linguistics forum now.

-------------

Posted By: romanosstrategos
Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 13:18
this reply is directed against the austrian guy with his name
komnenos.
these words spoken on this page are the truth.
rome was a greek city. there is too much evidence for this.
germans and austrlians have an unusual fascination with greek
and byzantium history.
the reasons for this and what antagonises me is that germans
claim byzantium and roman heritage as there own.
there continual interest, museum display biases,
constantinople relics in private collections of germans, german
specialists in ancient greek language, replicating the
patheonon in 3d dimensions on computer funded in gemrnay
etc etc--show there interest is more a belief they have some
common heritage or rather i believe a cultural inferiority
complex.
the core of this problem is that western historical perspective is
biased with the claim of roman identity.
the barbarians of the west always accepted that the roman
emperor had universal jurisdiction of its citizens from
contantinople, but in the 18th century the re romantisation era
in germany led to germans founding the false claim that " we
also like the byzantium's had a 1000yr reich and that was the
holy roman empire".
so what was in effect a sporadic bunch of loosey fitted
confederate of feudal kingdoms always at war with eachother
now modern historians call the holy roman empire. yeah right!!
voltaire' is right when he said that this holy roman empire
claimed by the germans was neither holy neither roman and
neither an empire
but the germans have claimed this empire existed since the
coronation of chalamagne a violent brute who was a
barbarians and of course illiterate.
the dark ages never occured in the east but only in t he west
where the roman civil structures were displaced until napoleon
code and the roman revolution turned french revolution in the
18th century. the incredible part is that these barbarians
enslaved europe right up to the 18th century .
but in roman society that continued in the east until the
crusaders sake of 1204, people were not slaves but citizens to
a republic. like every french person knows in that scene of a fim
with billy zane and the beautiful girl embrace with the beret
speaking about the revolution and the old respublica
the empire of the romans of constantinople

strategos romanos

Posted By: romanosstrategos
Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 13:42

hello responding to this person who believes there is no
connection between latin and greek.
magna graecia {little greece} or italy was a greek colony and
remained so through the pagan roman empire and even during
the greco roman era of constantinople numerous southern
italian cities, calabresi, sicilians , bari ravenna etc etc were
allgreco roman cities who's inhabitants spoke greek until
norman invasions which changed the the structure of greco
roman society in italy.
so when we talk about latin there are two forms
ancient latin{which is very similar to greek}
medieval latin which is more merovingian or nordic because of
barbarian conquests around 10th century italy.
when the last greco roman city fell in italy around 10t h century
bari--roman civilisation finally died in italy but continued in the
east in antollia and polis constantinople.
the renaissance can be coined as early as 1204 when
crusaders and venetians re educated themselves with the
relics they sacked from the queen of ciites constantinople.

all primary resources talk of roman greeks as synonomous
entites even if they formed different tribes of latin and hellene
respectively --they had a shared culture under the republic

so know that rome was a greek city and i could not care less for
the elgin marbles--but care for our christian holy relics stolen
from constantinople in 1204 -this is more important.

roman society claimed its universal jurisdiction of european
people of all races. we could all claim to it. but respect it
mediterranean roots and its fathers
strategos romanos

the renaissance was the re emergence of greek culture in italy.
it came when refugees from constantinople migrated to italy
and taught the italians craft sculpture, literature etc.

medieval

Here is a reference to text that explain the
differences between Latin and Greek.

Latin didn't grow out of Greek. They are two separate
descendents of Proto-Indo-European. See Andrew L. Sihler, A
New Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin, (New York &
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995), which is an extensive
rewrite of Carl D. Buck, A Comparative Grammar of Greek and
Latin, (Chicago, 1952), updated to include Myceneaean
sources. Buck is still worthwhile though, especially for the
sections on the fundamentals of historical linguistics (pp. 35-
63).

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/22/003.html - http://
www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/22/003.html

Here is a description of the book:
Description
Like Carl Darling Buck's Comparative Grammar of Greek and
Latin (1933), this book is an explanation of the similarities and
differences between Greek and Latin morphology and lexicon
through an account of their prehistory. It also aims to discuss
the principal features of Indo-European linguistics. Greek and
Latin are studied as a pair for cultural reasons only; as
languages, they have little in common apart from their Indo-
European heritage. Thus the only way to treat the historical
bases for their development is to begin with Proto-Indo-
European. The only way to make a reconstructed language like
Proto-Indo-European intelligible and intellectually defensible is
to present at least some of the basis for reconstructing its
features and, in the process, to discuss reasoning and
methodology of reconstruction (including a weighing of
alternative reconstructions). The result is a compendious
handbook of Indo-European phonology and morphology, and a
vade mecum of Indo-European linguistics--the focus always
remaining on Greek and Latin. The non-classical sources for
historical discussion are mainly Vedic Sanskrit, Hittite, and
Germanic, with occasional but crucial contributions from Old
Irish, Avestan, Baltic, and Slavic.

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/
Linguistics/~~/
c2Y9YWxsJnNzPWF1dGhvci5hc2Mmc2Q9YXNjJnBmPTMwJn
ZpZXc9dXNhJnByPTEwJmJvb2tDb3ZlcnM9eWVzJmNpPTAxO
TUwODM0NTg=
- http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/
subject/Linguistics/~~ /
c2Y9YWxsJnNzPWF1dGhvci5hc2Mmc2Q9YXNjJnBmPTMwJn
ZpZXc9dXNhJnB
yPTEwJmJvb2tDb3ZlcnM9eWVzJmNpPTAxOTUwODM0NTg=

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 16:06
magna grecia means big greece, not little

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 16:06
Originally posted by romanosstrategos

this reply is directed against the austrian guy with his name
komnenos.
these words spoken on this page are the truth.
rome was a greek city. there is too much evidence for this.
germans and austrlians have an unusual fascination with greek
and byzantium history.

Welcome, romanos strategos, and I can't express in words how glad I am that you joined and gave us another lecture on the greatness of Greek culture. That is exactly what we needed!
I thought for a moment that I might answer your post, but then I realised that it was probably better to let it speak for itself.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 16:39

Why do people use my name, there was a stratego's, and now romanosstrategos, i thinkl theres only room for one around here

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 16:49
Be happy that people try and imitate you - it is the maximum honour

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 16:53

Hah, maybe some Menippo's or Romennipos will pop up too.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 17:10
LOL - I really hope so - then I can offend people and someone else will get the blame

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 17:52
This goes for the guy who comments when he doesn't know what he is talking about:

Read the thread carefully, and then contribute.

hello responding to this person who believes there is no
connection between latin and greek.
magna graecia {little greece} or italy was a greek colony and
remained so through the pagan roman empire and even during
the greco roman era of constantinople numerous southern
italian cities, calabresi, sicilians , bari ravenna etc etc were
allgreco roman cities who's inhabitants spoke greek until
norman invasions which changed the the structure of greco
roman society in italy.
so when we talk about latin there are two forms
ancient latin{which is very similar to greek}
medieval latin which is more merovingian or nordic because of
barbarian conquests around 10th century italy.
when the last greco roman city fell in italy around 10t h century
bari--roman civilisation finally died in italy but continued in the
east in antollia and polis constantinople.
the renaissance can be coined as early as 1204 when
crusaders and venetians re educated themselves with the
relics they sacked from the queen of ciites constantinople.

all primary resources talk of roman greeks as synonomous
entites even if they formed different tribes of latin and hellene
respectively --they had a shared culture under the republic

so know that rome was a greek city and i could not care less for
the elgin marbles--but care for our christian holy relics stolen
from constantinople in 1204 -this is more important.

roman society claimed its universal jurisdiction of european
people of all races. we could all claim to it. but respect it
mediterranean roots and its fathers
strategos romanos

the renaissance was the re emergence of greek culture in italy.
it came when refugees from constantinople migrated to italy
and taught the italians craft sculpture, literature etc.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com