Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arabic Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabic Music
    Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 18:56
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 21:37
A classical Iraqi song form the 50s

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 01:49
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 23:45

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Mar-2012 at 23:47
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2012 at 23:58

Edited by Don Quixote - 19-Mar-2012 at 23:59
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 14:16
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 02:20
There is a difference between Turkish and Arabic music though - Turkish music was/is influenced by Byzantinian music, from what I've read; I even read that Turkish music was the inheritor of Ancient Greek music, and preserved Ancient Greek rhythms and moods. I'm quite fond of Turkish music, btw, both Ottoman classical music and folk one; but I know next to nothing about modern pop Turkish music, I have to admit. I'm posting Turkish music on this thread  http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13822&PID=667839#667839
why don't you throw some videos there, or if you want let's open a thread especially for Turkish music, I think it deserves it's own thread.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 01:53
Yes, its origin is arabic people. However, there is a Turkish respond of it in Turkey. Arabesque music is Turkish version of it, which was created under the Arab influence

Half pop-half Arabic but Turkish Big smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabesque_%28Turkish_music%29

One of the famous Turkish actor(not singer) is saying Arabesque with english subtitles. 
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 01:33
I agree with you that ethnic music has a serious cultural identification value, I was just saying that I personally want to see it as above-national, psychologically-artistic creation that belongs equally to everyone. I cannot see it another way even if I wanted too, because I'm an uprooted individual, and the only way I can see human creations is on level of basic humanity, where everyone is just what the human body and mind can allow him/her to be. But OTOH I know plenty of people who see music as a national cultural capital, and as such provable of some kind of innate Hegelian ethic spirit - but I find this not to my taste. Many people identify particular music with ethnicities, that;s why I had been asked some time ago on a different forum if I am from Afganistan for posting Pashu music - some people cannot perceive that someone who is not from this culture would value  it's music. I don't like borders - nor in land, nor in mind, nor in human expression.

Edited by Don Quixote - 09-Mar-2012 at 02:00
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 01:16
I can agree.... but it is without doubt that music... whether an individual agrees or not....has been and will continue to be identified, as and by varying ethnic groups and or national states, as a mechanism of identification of the same. The entire course of world history substantiates this imo.
Sometimes this is poorly exhibited as certain elements of peoples, national ideologies, ethnic groups and or political agendas within.... can contribute to bigotry and intolerance...racism etc. Many other times however it remains a unique and wonderful identification of their historical development and cultures.

I like to believe in the latter more so then former even though I might not always voice it.

thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 01:04
I see, thanksSmile.
I have no idea how they feel about it, I had never talked with a person from this generation and that culture. I adore every type of folk/ethnic music, but I don't see it as a national identity mechanism, just as beauty, combination of sounds that affects one's soul and inspires different emotions. In the case of Arabic music, I love the languidity of it, it's fluidity, it's primeval rhythm, it's sadness-taken-as-a-part-of-life....everything flows, runs, one doesn't know where it's going to go, unpredictable - so different than the far more rational Western music.
It has the face of a river, and the wave of sorrow and the touch of air on hot skin,
Like a barefooted girl dancing in the dusty road leading to a magic lad of Nowheres
Where the air leaks though my fingers like heated sand caressed by a horse's mane
And goes, vanishing in the sand dunes like a sigh of an exhausted lover on lost Times

Edited by Don Quixote - 09-Mar-2012 at 01:10
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 00:50
Those essentially born after 1990 supposedly coming of age now in the 'Arab spring'. I wonder if they appreciate the heritage and development of Arab music historically. And in particular do they appreciate the development of it as a national identity mechanism.

S. T. Friedman

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 23:17
What is "generation 5Xer's"?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 23:07
Without question, imo, the exotic nature and overt/covert eroticism and tempo of Arabic music, lyrics-poetry, remains a factor for listeners. I wonder about the  current level of appreciation of it's roots and history by generation 5Xer's.

S. T. Friedman

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 23:00

Edited by Don Quixote - 08-Mar-2012 at 23:03
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2012 at 01:10

Edited by Don Quixote - 01-Mar-2012 at 01:11
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2012 at 11:09
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2012 at 07:39
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 22:24

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Feb-2012 at 22:25
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 15:04

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 16-Feb-2012 at 15:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>