Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Countries contributions to European civilisation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countries contributions to European civilisation
    Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 11:04

In a rash act of supreme subjectivity, I decide to compose a ranking of European nations that, throughout history, have graced the 'ultimate' civilisation of the known world. There are 7 ranks and in each rank,  the more important contributors are followed by the lesser ones:

1st: Greece, Italy, France, Germany. (Decisive)

2nd: England, Russia, Spain, Autria, Poland. (Significant)

3rd: Portugal, The Netherland, Sweden, Hungary, Czech-Bohemia, Ireland, Denmark. (Important)

4th: Scotland, Swizerland, Ukraina, Lithuania. (Quite important)

5th: Belgium, Norway, Finland, Romania, Slovakia, Serbia, Bulgary, Armenia, Croatia, Albania. (Somewhat important)

6th: Luxembourg, Cyprus, Geogia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Latvia, Malta, Bosnia, Estonia, Wales. (Diversity is fun)

7th: Monaco, Liechstentein, San Marino, Turkey, Andora. (Excuse me???)

Did I forget anyone?

Edited by Lohendrin
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 11:18
Dont under-estimate the Ottoman-Turks' contrubution to european civilization, and the modern turks contributions.. If those are the turks you're talking about they shouldn't be in 7.
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 12:31
I agree the turks are very important for Europe, I think is decisive
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 12:32
Not benefic but important
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 12:48
You should also stick England in the top rank. In terms of historical impact, they are tough to beat. Turkey should be in the 3rd or even 2nd rank.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 13:04
Originally posted by Lohendrin

Do I forgot anyone?

Yup . The Vatican State, which I personally think should be in the 1st rank.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 13:28
England and Scotland should be just Great Britain and be put at the top.
Vae victis!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 13:47
I'll give stars

***** England, Germany, Italy, France
**** Spain, Greece, Russia
*** Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Turkey
** Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Czechia/Bohemia, Hungary, Vatican/Papal State
* Norway, Scotland, Belgium, Switzerland, Iceland, Finland, Ireland, Wales, Serbia, Croatia, Ukraine
Justice View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 14:07
Exactly what Turkey contributed for civilization in general?
England Germany and France being on the top is simply a joke as well.

Many of the countries which contributed  to what we call call European Civilization  havent been from Europe either.

Europe wouldn't be Europe without the influence of the Carthaginians,populations of Asia Minor,Egypt,  Persia,Chinese, Indians,Arabs, and those are just few.
Midle Eastern Civilizations existed when Europeans,especialy the Northern & Western one's, where still in the caves with the bears.
THEY WILL NOT PASS
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 14:19
perhaps. But western civilization did not end to develop after the end of the Classical Antiquity.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 14:36
I believe that it does not really whether a country contributed more or less.What it really matters is that it contributed,with it's own way.Europe is like a puzzle,so the smaller piece has the same significance with the great ones.Without it,you cannot finish it.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 14:41
The Roman Empire and Christianity both have had a major impact on W. European civilization.

Turkey??? show some good sources and I will be open. I know the Turks absorbed a lot from the Byaantine culture and I do not doubt they had some cultural influences.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 14:43
Originally posted by Justice

Exactly what Turkey contributed for<span style="font-weight: bold;"> civilization</span> in general?
England Germany and France being on the top is simply a joke as well.

And exactly how have for example Greece have had more influence than France and Germany? The modern Europe is founded on French legal codes, French and English ideas of the enlightenment and French, English and German technology. Germany dominated the technological development from the late 19th century up to WWII (look where the Nobel prizes used to end up). I'd say that France and Germany have had a far larger hand in the foundation of Europe than Greece have had.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:00
where still in the caves with the bears.

Wouldn't the bears have eaten them?
But wait, they typicly didn't live in caves at that time, ah, that explains it.
Arrrgh!!"
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:01
You cannot compare the Hellenic influence with influences concerning technology,because were really Hellens and the Hellenic civilization contributed was in the human spirit and arts.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:03
Originally posted by Spartakus

You cannot compare the Hellenic influence with influences concerning technology,because were reallyHellens and the Hellenic civilization contributed was in the human spirit and arts.

Then how on earth can you dismiss the English, French and Germans when this was about influence and contributions in comparison to the Greeks, if you "cannot compare" them?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:04
And science. Many cornerstones of Greek science remained accepted knowledge right up to the rennasaice and enlightenment, even when they were wrong, of course the stuff that was right is still with us, as well as the linguistic influence.
Thats a long lasting and cumalative influence.
Arrrgh!!"
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:07
There is a small difference in the your meaning of my words.I said you cannot compare spirit influence with technology influence,it more proper to compare with the German,French,English SPIRITUAL influence.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:12
Ah, so philosophy, theology, maybe the odd reformation or two?
Arrrgh!!"
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:17

I must admit i did not cautch the last one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>