Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RE: the US has to invade Iran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kentuckian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RE: the US has to invade Iran
    Posted: 16-May-2005 at 22:19

quite right, hugoestr

"I have not yet begun to fight." - John Paul Jones

"America will win through absolute victory" - President Franklin Roosevelt

"This was our finest hour." - Winston Churchill
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 07:32
Originally posted by Thegeneral

I have already said I am stopping with the French jokes.  Did you not read?

Of course countries will put their own intersts in front of what their allies want.  But you must admit, we did come to the Frenchs' aid during WWII when we really had more to lose by helping them.  But we did have our reasons to help.

America is on a fine path.  It has not changed from the one that was set hundreds of years ago by our found fathers.  the only differnce is that the publis, culture, and society has changed; for the worst, I must add.

We did not have more to lose by fighting the Second World war in Europe. We only helped our ally when we were attcked at Pearl Harbor, and then only because it was in our interest: if the axis won in Europe, we would have had a circle of enemies all around us. America certainly gained alot, we became the superpower that we are today.

America is not on a fine path, internationally or domestically, certainly not the one intended by the founding fathers: that is another issue though, and I have to leave; deal with that later.

"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 07:50

I had recently seen some anti-German statments and I had to let loose. 

you mean mine?
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 18:02

America is on a fine path.  It has not changed from the one that was set hundreds of years ago by our found fathers.

Yes, our forefathers who said all men are created equal, but owned slaves, and only their social class was allowed to vote. You're right, America has not really changed. You see inequality everywhere you go. Its the peoples fault for not speaking up about problems with our nation. Your house, your luxuries, and everything in society is only there to blind you from whats really going on. If you see an inequality, even if it doesnt affect you, how can you not speak up? This is what we fail to do as citizens of this country. Other people would kill to have the freedom to protest and speak out against the government. We have this freedom and we choose not to exercise it because we dont care what happens in the world, as long as it doesnt affect us. Once the world is in chaos, and you are the one being opressed, no one will be left to stand up for you, because you chose not to stand up for them.

I hope people realize this before its too late.

And just to stay on topic, the U.S. doesnt need to invade Iran.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 19:34

Exactly, the US is on the same path that the founding fathers et us upon.  And exactly, wherever you go there is inequality; that includes Iraq, France, Britain, Russia, Germany, execter execter.

And we did not have more to loose than France and them.  If Pearl Harbor had not happened we would not have interceeded because we had no big reason too.  And it is funny how back then France and Britain loved when we entered a war and yet now adays, when we get attacked first, no one decides to help us.  That's what we get, huh.   That sure teaches us a lesson; just let Europe beat the crap out of eachother.

It probally was yours, Mixcoatl.  Thanks for that, lol! 

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 19:38

And it is funny how back then France and Britain loved when we entered a war and yet now adays, when we get attacked first, no one decides to help us.

After 9/11 the world came to help America to console them for the 6,000 lives lost. No one mourned the 100,000 Japanese civilians that the U.S. illegally bombed. Or the millions that died during the slave trade. Or the millions of native Americans killed. No one wants the U.S. to join a war because it is an invitation to have mass murders. Just look at our history.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 20:05

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

No one mourned the 100,000 Japanese civilians that the U.S. illegally bombed.

Haha, can you really believe that?  We were at war, in a total war, you sound so absurd saying that.

Member of IAEA
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 20:35
Originally posted by Genghis

Haha, can you really believe that?  We were at war, in a total war, you sound so absurd saying that.

The Japanese bombed a naval harbor that was controlled by the U.S. military. The U.S. bombed a city full of civilians. I do not sound absurd, i am simply stating facts. What is absurd that the U.S. now condemns terrorist activity because it "harms innocent civilians". We purposely bombed not one, but two cities full of innocent civilians. When its convenient for us we call it war, when someone does it to us we call it terrorism. Call it what you want, it is what it is. Evil.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 20:52
War is one thing, terrorism is quite another Armenian Survival.  When the Japanese started the war they exposed themselves to the dangers of war...there're lucky they got off so easy after what they did to China and Southeast Asia.  No, I'm not saying that the US should have done worse, i'm saying "do onto others as you would have them do onto you." and no i'm not religious.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 21:05
Those so called "innocent Japanese" were not so innocent.  Had we had to go ashore on the hoem islands millions more for each side would have died.  And had we come ashore every single Jap would have fought to the death because their emperor told them so.  That is not innocent.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 01:32
Originally posted by Kentuckian

No, I'm not saying that the US should have done worse, i'm saying "do onto others as you would have them do onto you." and no i'm not religious.

I know. Im not supporting the Japanese involvement in the war. But im saying the way they conducted the war was much more professional than what we did. They attacked a military target. We attacked a city full of regular people.

Those so called "innocent Japanese" were not so innocent.  Had we had to go ashore on the hoem islands millions more for each side would have died.  And had we come ashore every single Jap would have fought to the death because their emperor told them so.  That is not innocent.

This logic justifies what the terrorists did at 9/11. They can simply say "we are at war with America, and we killed potential soldiers as well as a major economic structure to weaken their funding." You cant disagree with that statement and still support the U.S. bombing of Japan, that would be hypocrisy. If you agree with it, then thats your opinion. Just dont have a double-standard, one standard will be just fine.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 04:54
TheGeneral, if you talk about ineguality in France compared to the USA. You're taking an unwinable debate. France is a country where the differences (albeit still strong) between social classes are the less important. There is only one region really above the other in term of wealth and it's Ile de France. And there is only one region behind the others in term of wealth and its Corsica.

Beside this, when the USA were attacked by Al Qaeda, the French troops went in Afghanistan, it was even the first mission of the Rafale.
Vae victis!
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 06:43

We have this freedom and we choose not to exercise it because we dont care what happens in the world, as long as it doesnt
affect us. Once the world is in chaos, and you are the one being opressed, no one will be left to stand up for you, because you chose not to stand up for them.

I hope people realize this before its too late.

And just to stay on topic, the U.S. doesnt need to invade Iran.

I find a strange contradiction in that.

ArmenianSurvival,If you have issues with an attack on Iran, how about using contemporary points instead of trying to demonize the US with what took place in a different time and world.
The initial Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was an objective in a strategy to use the most within their
means to cripple part of the American Navy. There simply was not extra planes with bombs in the Japanese arsenal to try and demoralise people. If Japan were capable, they would have attacked civilian populations throughout the war after Midway. Nanking or Pingfan where Unit 731 was, were not military outposts. What was the target for all of those balloons unleased on the continental US? Hardly a professional war that Japan ran as you said.
It was "Total War" and I find it scary to imagine what an Axis country would have done with the power of the United States at the time.

You're not the first to use todays standards and judge the bombing in WWII as terrorism and that is fine,almost agree but I dont because I see the full picture.

I dont know what you were trying to say in your last paragraph taking al-Qaeda's perspective. If you cant
distinguish between 1941 and 2001, you are either short-sighted, intellectually dishonest or you just sympathise or side with them.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 07:19
Originally posted by Genghis

No one mourned the 100,000 Japanese civilians that the U.S. illegally bombed.

But you can justify every atrocity by saying that.,
Rape of Nanking? Oradour sur Glaine? Bataan Death March? Warsaw Ghetto uprising? the Holocaust? Nothing wrong with all of that, these things happen in a total war.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 07:26

Yes but what we did by dropping the bomb was an act of war.  What those that were listed are are acts of terror and not an act of war.  And show do you propose we should have ended the war with Japan?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 07:32
Catt, i understand your point. Maybe i made it seem like i was bashing the U.S., but that was not the case, but thats my fault for not clarifying. All i was trying to say is that the U.S. bombing not just one, but two cities full of innocent civilians was just too excessive for me. If the U.S. had so much power like you said, they could have completely destroyed military targets in Japan. We could have nuked an army base instead, and done a lot more damage to the actual people that were fighting us.

I simply made the comparison between 1941 U.S. and todays terrorists because they both bomb civilians for a greater purpose, and that is victory. Whether thats good or bad is up to you, but that is what it is.

Bombing innocent civilians is terrorism no matter what time period you live in, it all depends on the context, such as who is doing it and why, and that decides whether it is accepted or not. Whether you choose to believe it was necessary or not is up to you. The U.S. found it necessary during WWII, and it seems to have worked out for us. The terrorists of today believe that it is necessary for them to resort to those tactics. I dont agree with terrorism, just like i dont agree with the nuking of Japan, but they are both necessary depending on which point of view you look at it from. Obviously, terrorism is not necessary to us as Americans, because it is an evil act being committed in our country (and others). But, from their point of view, its very necessary. Terrorism is not a pointless act, just because we dont agree with it doesnt mean theres no purpose behind it. Theres a big difference between supporting terrorism and realizing why it happens.

And the time period matters in many aspects, with that i agree with you. But, if youre looking at the aspect of human psychology and behavior, it has been the same since the beginning of time. The only difference is the technology and the means it is carried out.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 07:43

Yes but what we did by dropping the bomb was an act of war.  What those that were listed are are acts of terror and not an act of war.

By that logic, we are at war with terrorists. So if they bomb us, it is not an act of terrorism, but of war. The word 'terrorism' is modern-english for "we're at war with rebels".

But dont let simple words such as 'terrorism' and 'war' change the actuality of the events. Whatever happens, happens. You can call it what you want, it doesnt change what happened. Ya we bombed Japan during a war. But you mean to tell me we didnt know that we dropped 2 bombs on tens of thousands of innocent people? The times might have been different, but we had basic judgement, considering we were not cavemen in 1941.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 11:06
Bombing innocent civilians is terrorism no matter what time period you live in, it all depends on the context, such as who is doing it and why, and that decides whether it is accepted or not.

Hurting civilians is distasteful and ethically wrong in principal, but it is not terrorism. Terrorists' aim in hurting civilians is to have a front page story. The atomic bombing had strategic and logistical goals.

The two bombs saved more lives in the long run. The U.S. was planning on fighting Japan for two more years, and predicted that the cost in American and Japanese lives were going to be much higher, judging by the fierce fighting in Okinawa and Iwo Jima. Japan was feared by their suicidal sacrifice on defending itself. After all, they didnt surrender after the first atomic bomb was dropped. Let us not forget this detail.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 20:53
^^^I definitely agree with hugoestr that droppin the atomic bombs was the right move. Many more thousands would ahve died if the Allies had to invade the Japanese home islands. Plus amny moe civilians would have died also. When the marines invaded Saipan, they got a taste of what it would be look to invade the home islands.

anyways about Iran.....

I want Iran to be free and for them to live without oppression, but not at the cost of American lives (i feel the same way about iraq). If an invasion is necessary to free them, then some other country can do the fighting.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 21:43

Originally posted by hugoestr

Bombing innocent civilians is terrorism no matter what time period you live in, it all depends on the context, such as who is doing it and why, and that decides whether it is accepted or not.

Hurting civilians is distasteful and ethically wrong in principal, but it is not terrorism. Terrorists' aim in hurting civilians is to have a front page story. The atomic bombing had strategic and logistical goals.

The two bombs saved more lives in the long run. The U.S. was planning on fighting Japan for two more years, and predicted that the cost in American and Japanese lives were going to be much higher, judging by the fierce fighting in Okinawa and Iwo Jima. Japan was feared by their suicidal sacrifice on defending itself. After all, they didnt surrender after the first atomic bomb was dropped. Let us not forget this detail.

quite right, hugoestr, my grandfather was going to be in the second wave of the assault on Japan....the leaders of the army told them to kill anything that moved...anything that moved...man, dog, woman

this was necessary because of the Japanese mentality to fight to end and never give up, a suppression there such as the one in Iraq never would have worked.

now, i ask the bombs or the invasion?

the results would have greatly varied....draw your own conclusions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12