Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Armies In World History!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Ruslan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ruslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 10 Armies In World History!
    Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 20:07

LISTED BY HISTORICAL ORDER:

Ancient Macedonian army  (4th Century BC under Alexander the Great)

Hunnu Army
(3rd Century BC - 2nd Century BC under Modu Chanyu)

Roman Army
(1st Century BC - 3rd Century)

Arab Army
(7th - 9th Century)

Mongolian Army
(13th - 16th Century) the world conqueror!

Turkish Army
(15th - 16th Century)

Russian Army
(17th - 20th Century)

French Army
(19th Century) conquered Europe in a series of crushing victories against his opponents

British Army
(19th Century)

German Army
(20th Century) fought with nearly all world and tired to conquer the world

Edited by Ruslan - 14-Sep-2012 at 19:58
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 20:57
I disagree with the addition of the Brits and Russians. Good but nowhere near greatest. I would add Hannibal's army and Gustavus Adolphus' army.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 00:10
Of course Macedonian army, Roman army, Arab army, Mongolian army, Turkish army, Russian army, ... are among top 10 armies in world history becuase they fought against the Persian army!
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 03:12
Excellent list, some nice pics as well. 

I would question the Germans in the 20th century, they lost to the Russians. I would also question the Russians in the 17th to 19th century. 
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 06:21
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Of course Macedonian army, Roman army, Arab army, Mongolian army, Turkish army, Russian army, ... are among top 10 armies in world history becuase they fought against the Persian army!

The Persian army was effective during Cyru's reign, back in the 6th century BC... It was definitely weak against outnumbered Greek armies, during the 5th and 4th centuries BC, however.... Against Rome, Persia did manage to win some battles, nevertheless.  The Arabs also managed to defeat the Persians. 
Ruslan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ruslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 09:49
Originally posted by Toltec

I would question the Germans in the 20th century, they lost to the Russians. I would also question the Russians in the 17th to 19th century. 

Germans fought with nearly all world and they two times tired to conquer world(ok first war was not aiming for world domination but victory would made Germany superpower).

Russian Cossacks defeated Napoleon and conquered vast land from eastern Europe to Siberia(although Cossacks are not only Russian but also contain Mongols and Turks).
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 10:21
Originally posted by TITAN_

The Persian army was effective during Cyru's reign, back in the 6th century BC... It was definitely weak against outnumbered Greek armies, during the 5th and 4th centuries BC, however.... Against Rome, Persia did manage to win some battles, nevertheless.  The Arabs also managed to defeat the Persians. 

From the the 6th to 4th century BC, the Persian army was certainly the most powerful army in the history which could win thousands battles all around the world from the Central and South Asia to the Europe and Africa, of course they also lost a few battles, like against Greeks and Scythians, otherwise they would capture the whole world, something never happend in the history.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 11-Sep-2012 at 10:25
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 10:39

Originally posted by TITAN_

From the the 6th to 4th century BC, the Persian army was certainly the most powerful army in the history which could win thousands battles all around the world from the Central and South Asia to the Europe and Africa, of course they also lost a few battles, like against Greeks and Scythians, otherwise they would capture the whole world, something never happend in the history.

They lost to the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians not exactly one of the best.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 10:40
Originally posted by Ruslan

Originally posted by Toltec

thanks:)Germans fought with nearly all world and they two times tired to conquer
world(ok first war was not aiming for world domination but victory would
made Germany superpower).
        Russian Cossacks defeated Napoleon and conquered vast land from eastern Europe to Siberia(although Cossacks are not only Russian but also contain Mongols and Turks).

Cossacks didn't essentially defeat Napoleon but pursued his broken army.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 12:26
Nice work Ruslan Big smile

But I want to add something

Hittite Army (12th century BC)

Yes, I agree with Cyrus. We should add Persian army

and also USA army

Edited by Ollios - 11-Sep-2012 at 12:28
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

They lost to the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians not exactly one of the best.

They also defeated the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians several times, in fact no army in the world could defeat different armies as many as the Persian army. 
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 15:57
You will need to add the American Army which bailed out Europe twice and the Middle East at least twice, and which has been the most hi-tech military in the entire world for decades, not to mention the first nuclear power in the world.

Labeling anything "the greatest" is entirely dependent on circumstances.  For example, the Romans were good militarily, but the managed to lose an entire legion to the barbarian Gauls.

The Spartans, who held off the Persians at Thermopylae, probably deserve to be among the top contenders as well.

Napoleon might have had a "great" army, but he lost the war; therefore, the British, who defeated him at Waterloo, obviously had one even "greater".

Edited by Mountain Man - 11-Sep-2012 at 15:58
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 16:14

They also defeated the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians several times, in fact no army in the world could defeat different armies as many as the Persian army. 

Any evidence for defeat of thr Indians or Scythians? Cyrus' army was slaughtered by them and so was he. The Persuans chased them around but the Scythians were never decisively defeated. I have neaver heard of the Persians conquering India.....
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 03:19

Any evidence for defeat of thr Indians or Scythians? Cyrus' army was slaughtered by them and so was he. The Persuans chased them around but the Scythians were never decisively defeated. I have neaver heard of the Persians conquering India.....

Just look at the ancient Persian inscriptions and reliefs, Darius the great defeated both Indians and Scythians, you can find the lands of "Hindush" and "Saka" as parts of the Persian empire in the most of ancient Persian inscriptions, Darius has even mentioned the name of Scythian king who was defeated:

Darius the King says: Afterwards with an army I went off to Scythia, after the Scythians who wear the pointed cap. These Scythians went from me. When I arrived at the sea, beyond it then with all my army I crossed. Afterwards, I smote the Scythians exceedingly; another (leader) I took captive; this one was led bound to me, and I slew him. The chief of them, by name Skunkha -- him they seized and led to me. Then I made another their chief, as was my desire. After that, the province became mine.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 03:27
Originally posted by Mountain Man

The Spartans, who held off the Persians at Thermopylae, probably deserve to be among the top contenders as well.

Of course an army which can just hold off the Persian army deserve to be among them!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 06:32
First of all we don't know if try were Scythians, Second its a supposed victory from the Persians the evidence is flimsy at best. Where is the evidence for the defeat of an Indian army?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 06:34
And he alao couldn't take their province as they had no permanent settlements but simply retreated. Any written source?
Ruslan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ruslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 10:26
yes if i list "Top 12 Armies In World History" i would definitely put Persian and US army
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 12:30
The Assyrians and Tamerlane, probably deserve a mention as candidates for the top ten
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 13:02
Your forgetting or ignoring, the 500 Nations.  No mention of any of the Historic pre contact American Armies?  Aztec, Inca, remember those folks?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>