Print Page | Close Window

Top 10 Armies In World History!

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Military History
Forum Discription: Discussions related to military history: generals, battles, campaigns, etc.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32375
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 05:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Top 10 Armies In World History!
Posted By: Ruslan
Subject: Top 10 Armies In World History!
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 20:07

LISTED BY HISTORICAL ORDER:

Ancient Macedonian army  (4th Century BC under Alexander the Great)

Hunnu Army
(3rd Century BC - 2nd Century BC under Modu Chanyu)

Roman Army
(1st Century BC - 3rd Century)

Arab Army
(7th - 9th Century)

Mongolian Army
(13th - 16th Century) the world conqueror!

Turkish Army
(15th - 16th Century)

Russian Army
(17th - 20th Century)

French Army
(19th Century) conquered Europe in a series of crushing victories against his opponents

British Army
(19th Century)

German Army
(20th Century) fought with nearly all world and tired to conquer the world

Replies:
Posted By: Delenda est Roma
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 20:57
I disagree with the addition of the Brits and Russians. Good but nowhere near greatest. I would add Hannibal's army and Gustavus Adolphus' army.

-------------

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 00:10
Of course Macedonian army, Roman army, Arab army, Mongolian army, Turkish army, Russian army, ... are among top 10 armies in world history becuase they fought against the Persian army!

-------------

Posted By: Toltec
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 03:12
Excellent list, some nice pics as well. 

I would question the Germans in the 20th century, they lost to the Russians. I would also question the Russians in the 17th to 19th century. 

-------------
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

http://historyplanet.wordpress.com - History Planet Website
<br /

Posted By: TITAN_
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 06:21
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Of course Macedonian army, Roman army, Arab army, Mongolian army, Turkish army, Russian army, ... are among top 10 armies in world history becuase they fought against the Persian army!

The Persian army was effective during Cyru's reign, back in the 6th century BC... It was definitely weak against outnumbered Greek armies, during the 5th and 4th centuries BC, however.... Against Rome, Persia did manage to win some battles, nevertheless.  The Arabs also managed to defeat the Persians. 

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 09:49
Originally posted by Toltec

I would question the Germans in the 20th century, they lost to the Russians. I would also question the Russians in the 17th to 19th century. 

Germans fought with nearly all world and they two times tired to conquer world(ok first war was not aiming for world domination but victory would made Germany superpower).

Russian Cossacks defeated Napoleon and conquered vast land from eastern Europe to Siberia(although Cossacks are not only Russian but also contain Mongols and Turks).

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 10:21
Originally posted by TITAN_

The Persian army was effective during Cyru's reign, back in the 6th century BC... It was definitely weak against outnumbered Greek armies, during the 5th and 4th centuries BC, however.... Against Rome, Persia did manage to win some battles, nevertheless.  The Arabs also managed to defeat the Persians. 

From the the 6th to 4th century BC, the Persian army was certainly the most powerful army in the history which could win thousands battles all around the world from the Central and South Asia to the Europe and Africa, of course they also lost a few battles, like against Greeks and Scythians, otherwise they would capture the whole world, something never happend in the history.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 10:39

Originally posted by TITAN_

From the the 6th to 4th century BC, the Persian army was certainly the most powerful army in the history which could win thousands battles all around the world from the Central and South Asia to the Europe and Africa, of course they also lost a few battles, like against Greeks and Scythians, otherwise they would capture the whole world, something never happend in the history.

They lost to the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians not exactly one of the best.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 10:40
Originally posted by Ruslan

Originally posted by Toltec

thanks:)Germans fought with nearly all world and they two times tired to conquer
world(ok first war was not aiming for world domination but victory would
made Germany superpower).
        Russian Cossacks defeated Napoleon and conquered vast land from eastern Europe to Siberia(although Cossacks are not only Russian but also contain Mongols and Turks).

Cossacks didn't essentially defeat Napoleon but pursued his broken army.

-------------

Posted By: Ollios
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 12:26
Nice work Ruslan Big smile

But I want to add something

Hittite Army (12th century BC)

Yes, I agree with Cyrus. We should add Persian army

and also USA army

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

They lost to the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians not exactly one of the best.

They also defeated the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians several times, in fact no army in the world could defeat different armies as many as the Persian army. 

-------------

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 15:57
You will need to add the American Army which bailed out Europe twice and the Middle East at least twice, and which has been the most hi-tech military in the entire world for decades, not to mention the first nuclear power in the world.

Labeling anything "the greatest" is entirely dependent on circumstances.  For example, the Romans were good militarily, but the managed to lose an entire legion to the barbarian Gauls.

The Spartans, who held off the Persians at Thermopylae, probably deserve to be among the top contenders as well.

Napoleon might have had a "great" army, but he lost the war; therefore, the British, who defeated him at Waterloo, obviously had one even "greater".

-------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 16:14

They also defeated the Greeks, Egyptians, Scythians, and Indians several times, in fact no army in the world could defeat different armies as many as the Persian army. 

Any evidence for defeat of thr Indians or Scythians? Cyrus' army was slaughtered by them and so was he. The Persuans chased them around but the Scythians were never decisively defeated. I have neaver heard of the Persians conquering India.....

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 03:19

Any evidence for defeat of thr Indians or Scythians? Cyrus' army was slaughtered by them and so was he. The Persuans chased them around but the Scythians were never decisively defeated. I have neaver heard of the Persians conquering India.....

Just look at the ancient Persian inscriptions and reliefs, Darius the great defeated both Indians and Scythians, you can find the lands of "Hindush" and "Saka" as parts of the Persian empire in the most of ancient Persian inscriptions, Darius has even mentioned the name of Scythian king who was defeated:

Darius the King says: Afterwards with an army I went off to Scythia, after the Scythians who wear the pointed cap. These Scythians went from me. When I arrived at the sea, beyond it then with all my army I crossed. Afterwards, I smote the Scythians exceedingly; another (leader) I took captive; this one was led bound to me, and I slew him. The chief of them, by name Skunkha -- him they seized and led to me. Then I made another their chief, as was my desire. After that, the province became mine.

source: http://www.avesta.org/op/op.htm#db5 - http://www.avesta.org/op/op.htm#db5

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 03:27
Originally posted by Mountain Man

The Spartans, who held off the Persians at Thermopylae, probably deserve to be among the top contenders as well.

Of course an army which can just hold off the Persian army deserve to be among them!

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 06:32
First of all we don't know if try were Scythians, Second its a supposed victory from the Persians the evidence is flimsy at best. Where is the evidence for the defeat of an Indian army?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 06:34
And he alao couldn't take their province as they had no permanent settlements but simply retreated. Any written source?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 10:26
yes if i list "Top 12 Armies In World History" i would definitely put Persian and US army

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 12:30
The Assyrians and Tamerlane, probably deserve a mention as candidates for the top ten

-------------

<br /

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 13:02
Your forgetting or ignoring, the 500 Nations.  No mention of any of the Historic pre contact American Armies?  Aztec, Inca, remember those folks?

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 13:32
Are we comparing time periods or?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 14:35

Of course an army which can just hold off the Persian army deserve to be among them!

At odds of 300 against tens of thousands...yes...they do.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 14:36

Are we comparing time periods or?

The title of the thread says Top 10 Armies in World History...that means all of the armies ever fielded since wars began.

So...yes...we would have to be comparing all time periods to get the ten best.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 15:37

First of all we don't know if try were Scythians, Second its a supposed victory from the Persians the evidence is flimsy at best. Where is the evidence for the defeat of an Indian army?

You probably know that an inscription of Darius the Great has been discovered in the north of Modern Romania where ancient Scythians lived: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27688 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27688  the famous Greek historian Herodotus has also talked about Persian rule over both Scythians and Indians, for example about Indians, he says: "The Indians made up the twentieth satrapy of the Persian empire. These are more in number than any nation of which we know, and they paid a greater tribute than any other province, namely three hundred and sixty talents of gold dust." (Histories of Herodotus: 3.94)

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 16:13

Even a mosquito can bother a king, those poor Spartans were all killed, they were probably happy that they could cause an insignificant interruption in the advance of the great Persian army.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 16:25
You would of course know this was not India correct? Tose were the outlying lands not India. What Scythians were conquered? They defeated the Persians and retreated from them but any decisive field battle? And direct sources please?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 16:26

Even a mosquito can bother a king, those poor Spartans were all killed, they were probably happy that they could cause an insignificant interruption in the advance of the great Persian army.

Thry bought time and damaged the Persian army besides boosting morale. Their mission was accomplished plus some.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 17:19
"Go, tell the Spartans,
Thou who passeth by,
That here in accordance with their orders,
We lie."

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2012 at 20:12
Originally posted by red clay

Your forgetting or ignoring, the 500 Nations.  No mention of any of the Historic pre contact American Armies?  Aztec, Inca, remember those folks?

yes Tamerlane was included in Mongols Army(13th - 16th Century)

:)

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 01:53

You would of course know this was not India correct? Tose were the outlying lands not India. What Scythians were conquered? They defeated the Persians and retreated from them but any decisive field battle? And direct sources please?

Of course not modern India but actual India which was located in the north of Indian subcontinent, as you know the Indian civilization arose in the Indus River Valley in modern Pakistan and most of modern India was uncivilized for a long time, and about Scythians, they lived in a vast region from the Central Asia to the Eastern Europe, in the seventh century BC they had even occupied a large part of the west Asia, inculding the northwestern part of modern Iran, Medians and then Cyrus the Great defeated them in several battles and they had to retreat to their original lands, afterwards Darius the Great attacked them in the Central Asia, Caucasus and the Eastern Europe and pushed them far from the Persian empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 02:04

Thry bought time and damaged the Persian army besides boosting morale. Their mission was accomplished plus some.

Persian army was never damaged, they easily continued their way after passing these Spartans who were considered as highwaymen and then captured Athens with no problem, burnt it and came back to Persia successfully.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 08:47

Persian army was never damaged, they easily continued their way after passing these Spartans who were considered as highwaymen and then captured Athens with no problem, burnt it and came back to Persia successfully.

Yet they took 3 days and lost 20,000 men to highwaymen? Athens was abandoned........
They lost at Salamis so there logistics were destroyed. Then Mardonius was defeated at Platea. Hardly as simple as you put it. At least be a little less biased.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 10:12

Of course not modern India but actual India which was located in the north of Indian subcontinent, as you know the Indian civilization arose in the Indus River Valley in modern Pakistan and most of modern India was uncivilized for a long time, and about Scythians, they lived in a vast region from the Central Asia to the Eastern Europe, in the seventh century BC they had even occupied a large part of the west Asia, inculding the northwestern part of modern Iran, Medians and then Cyrus the Great defeated them in several battles and they had to retreat to their original lands, afterwards Darius the Great attacked them in the Central Asia, Caucasus and the Eastern Europe and pushed them far from the Persian empire.

Battles that Indians and Scythians were defeated in?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 10:32

Yet they took 3 days and lost 20,000 men to highwaymen? Athens was abandoned........
They lost at Salamis so there logistics were destroyed. Then Mardonius was defeated at Platea. Hardly as simple as you put it. At least be a little less biased.

The info we have about Thermopolye comes from the "Father of Lies" Herodotus, so i wouldn't call your estimation of 20,000 dead exactly unbiased either.

-------------

<br /

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 11:22
At least my argument is source based.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 12:06

In the modern times we also see that a muslim suicide bomber kills tens US soldiers, in the Middle ages Assassins also hid in the passages, like Thermopylae, and killed numerous people, those who can not fight face to face, either use these coward tactics or abandon their land and flee. The important point is that Xerxes wanted to capture and burn Athens and did it, what happened in the next years doesn't relate to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 12:12
How so? He burned an undefended city but had his navy and army crushed brutally. The Spartans and co held him up at a pass for quite a while and caused numerous casualties. They fought and died SOLDIERS. Dont even stoop to calling them highwaymen, robbers, or assasins. I could just as well call the Persians slaves and failures. But it wouldn't be accurate would it? Coward tactics really? Im disappointed that this is what you're stooping to. I also need a source on battles in which the Scythians or Indians were defeated by Persians.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 16:20
The Persians didn't invade Greece to attack Athens, they invaded to take Sparta. It's not even sure they burned Athens. They were completely unable to get to Sparta as the Istmus of Conrinth was fortified and they sat in Greece clueless of what to do next. They threw their navy away out of incompetence. Then the Greeks got lucky, there was a rebellion in Persia and Xerxes had to leave with the bulk of the army to quash it. 

For Persia it was a disaster, they failed in their objectives of taking Sparta and leaving some subject city states behind as well as losing a considerable part of their navy. For Greece it wasn't the great victory patriots would like us to believe. Thermopolye mattered little, the Persian army would most likely have won but left undefeated because of a rebellion back home, the two Greek victories, sea and land were rather superfluous.

-------------

<br /

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 16:23
Tamerlane?  What the devil does Tamerlane have to do with the Aztecs, the Mayans or the Incans, all of whom fielded large, well-trained armies?

I see a definite bias towards size as opposed to ability; however, size alone does not determine the effectiveness of an army.

How about the Greek army that took Troy?

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 09:18

How so? He burned an undefended city but had his navy and army crushed brutally. The Spartans and co held him up at a pass for quite a while and caused numerous casualties. They fought and died SOLDIERS. Dont even stoop to calling them highwaymen, robbers, or assasins. I could just as well call the Persians slaves and failures. But it wouldn't be accurate would it? Coward tactics really? Im disappointed that this is what you're stooping to. I also need a source on battles in which the Scythians or Indians were defeated by Persians.

I really don't know what you mean by source, there are some inscriptions of Darius the Great, Xerxes and other Persian kings from the same date when these things happened, what can be more reliable than them?! Other than them ancient Greek historians, like Herodotus, have also talked about these things, of course I don't deny that Persians also lost some battles but it was certainly insignificant in comparison with the number of battles that they won.

Anyway as we know Xerxes just wanted to burn Athens in revenge for what the Greeks did to Sardis, if you look at a map then you will see the distance between Persia in the south of Iran and Athens, it is clear that during this very risky military expedition, some soldiers are killed and some ships are sunk, of course Greeks didn't want their major city to be burnt but the point is that the Persian army was so powerful that they could never stop it, so some of them prefered to flee and some other ones committed a type of suicide!

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 09:48
Each Greek city was independent. Persia ruled Turkey and the Greek cities their. The distance was nelegible. Someone above mentioned Sparta not Athens was the target. Both that invincible army and navy were in fact and deed CRUSHED and they never had a permanent hold on Greece. It was pretty bad they couldn't take such a fractired region as Greece! Cyrus the BEST Persian general had his army crushed and SLAUGHTERED by Scythians.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 11:17
After the Xerxes' conquest of Greece, however it was allowed by the Persians that some Greek city-states kept their independence but the later events, like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Antalcidas - Peace of Antalcidas , show that the Persian king was always recognized as a superior leader by Greeks, in fact the Persian empire was an undeniable superpower, especially in the sixth and fifth century BC, the Persian army was so powerful which could easily capture everywhere that the Persian king wanted.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 12:14
When did Xerxes conquer Greece....
Obviously you haven't studied the fact that Persia LOST. The Greco-Persian Wars. That treaty recognized the fact that the Persians payrolled the Spartans. Face the facts Persia lost the war to a bunch of fracticious city states.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 12:30
The peace was negotiated by Callias, an Athenian politician. Persia had continually lost territory to the Greeks after the end of Xerxes I's invasion in 479 BC, and by 450 they were ready to make peace. The Peace of Callias gave autonomy to the Ionian states in Asia Minor, prohibited the establishment of Persian satrapies elsewhere on the Aegean coast, and prohibited Persian ships from the Aegean. Athens also agreed not to interfere with Persia's possessions in Asia Minor, Cyprus, Libya or Egypt (Athens had recently lost a fleet aiding an Egyptian revolt against Persia).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Callias

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 12:32
%20 - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Persian_Wars

Persia lost Thrace, Macedon, And Ionia as a result of the Greco-Persian wars. It also specifies a clear Greek victory as Persia lost alot of territory.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 12:54
Xerxes didn't conquer Greece but completed the conquest of Greece, most of Greek lands, such as Ionia, Macedonia, Caria, ... had been conquered by Darius the Great, as you probably know there was a large number of Greek soldiers in the Xerxes' army, it is good to read it: http://azargoshnasp.net/300/xerxesorganizationarmy.pdf - THE ORGANIZATION OF XERXES' ARMY

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 13:09
Reference above.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Persian_Wars

Persia lost Thrace, Macedon, And Ionia as a result of the Greco-Persian wars. It also specifies a clear Greek victory as Persia lost alot of territory.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:10

Reference above.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Persian_Wars

Where did you read that thing from the above link?!! This is the exact quote:

The Persians then counterattacked, and the Athenian force was itself besieged for 18 months, before being wiped out.[181] This disaster, coupled with ongoing warfare in Greece, dissuaded the Athenians from resuming conflict with Persia.[182]

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:24
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Persian_Wars#section_3

However, while seeking to destroy the combined Greek fleet, the Persians suffered a severe defeat at the Battle of Salamis. The following year, the confederated Greeks went on the offensive, defeating the Persian army at the Battle of Plataea, and ending the invasion of Greece.
The allied Greeks followed up their success by destroying the rest of the Persian fleet at the Battle of Mycale, before expelling Persian garrisons from Sestos (479 BC) and Byzantium (478 BC). The actions of the general Pausanias at the siege of Byzantium alienated many of the Greek states from the Spartans, and the anti-Persian alliance was therefore reconstituted around Athenian leadership, as the so-called Delian League. The Delian League continued to campaign against Persia for the next three decades, beginning with the expulsion of the remaining Persian garrisons from Europe. At the Battle of the Eurymedon in 466 BC, the League won a double victory that finally secured freedom for the cities of Ionia.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:26
Funny how the article states the war was a Greek victory with the freedom of Macedonia, Thrace and Ionia....

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:30
This is the treaty that ended the war.

The peace was negotiated by Callias, an Athenian politician. Persia had continually lost territory to the Greeks after the end of Xerxes I's invasion in 479 BC, and by 450 they were ready to make peace. The Peace of Callias gave autonomy to the Ionian states in Asia Minor, prohibited the establishment of Persian satrapies elsewhere on the Aegean coast, and prohibited Persian ships from the Aegean. Athens also agreed not to interfere with Persia's possessions in Asia Minor, Cyprus, Libya or Egypt (Athens had recently lost a fleet aiding an Egyptian revolt against Persia).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/479_BC

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 02:52
It is funny that you read what you want, about the peace of Callias: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Callias - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Callias  -> The ancient historian Theopompus deemed it a fabrication arguing that the inscription of the treaty was a fake – the lettering used hadn't come into practice until half a century after the treaty was purporting to have been agreed. It is possible that the treaty never officially existed, and if did exist, its importance is disputed. Thucydides did not mention it, however Herodotus[2] does, as does Plutarch, who thought it had either been signed after the Battle of the Eurymedon in 466 BC, or that it had never been signed at all.

Anyway later events, like the Peace of Antalcidas, show that those lands still belonged to the Persian until the fall of the Persian empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 08:22
Thats laughable. So Alaexanders kingdom still belonged to Persia when he invaded it? You really are a fanboy aren't you? Grow up. Persia lost the war, the Greeks won. There is not a single sorce that says otherwise. Why deny it? You're worse than the Nazi revisionists who say the Holocaust never happened. Grow up and admit it.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 08:25
If site administrators do this here I'm wasting my time at this site. You obviously like trying to distort facts. The fact is Persia lost the Macedonia kingdom, Thrace, and most of the Greek cities in Asia Minor. The Greeks kept all their territory in the end.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 11:44
Delenda est Roma, I think you are too young for these types of discussions, you need to read more and admit historical facts with no bias, as I said above, the Peace of Antalcidas shows that in 387 BC, those lands certainly belonged to the Persian empire and nothing was changed until the fall of this empire, if you have any evidence which disproves this historical fact, show us, otherwise please admit it.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 12:31
I have you refuse to acknowledge it. You need to grow out of your bias. Persia lost I have provided evidence you have in fact failed to provide any sources proving otherwise. In wffect you are a zealot for a long dead civilization. Read a book or two Persia lost. DEAL WITH IT.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 12:36
YOU are talking about a totally different war. This treaty wa concluded much later and did in fact give back Ionia to Persia. However Macedonia and Thrace former Persian vassals were free. So in effect they lost thr first war but Persia later reclaimed SOME of the lost territory,

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 16:29
I really don't know what you want to prove, in the first page of this thread I admitted that Persians also lost a few battles, they were not superhuman and they didn't conquer the whole world, but from a small region in the southwest of modern Iran, they could defeat several different armies in three continents and built the largest empire that the world had ever seen. For example as Darius the Great himself says:

Darius the King says: This is what I did by the favor of Ahuramazda in one and the same year after that I became king. 19 battles I fought; by the favor of Ahuramazda I smote them and took prisoner 9 kings.

Source: http://www.avesta.org/op/op.htm#db4 - http://www.avesta.org/op/op.htm#db4

At the same time Persian armies were fighting near the borders of China, Ethiopia and Romania, I never say they were always victorious but this vast dominion of the Persian empire shows that the Persian army was certainly one of the most powerful armies in the world history.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 16:33
The borders of China is false through and through as they never made it to India much less China. They also never made it to Ethiopia Egypt and MABYE Northern Sudan. Still waiting for a source they defeated a Scythian or Indian army. So you admit they did in fact lose Thrace and Macedonia in the Greco-Persian wars?

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 01:10
Denying the historical facts has no benefit for you, as I said the most reliable source is the ancient Persian inscription with no change from the same date these things happened, the name of "Ethiopia" can be found as part of the Persian empire in the inscriptions of Darius the Great, Xerxes and Artaxerxes II at Persepolis, Naqsh-i-Rustam and Susa, of course ancient Ethiopia was certainly larger than modern Ethiopia.

If you look at the map Achaemenid empire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Achaemenid_Empire_559_-_330_%28BC%29.GIF - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Achaemenid_Empire_559_-_330_(BC).GIF  then you will see that about one half of ancient India (modern Pakistan), western part of modern China, some parts of modern Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, ... also belonged to the Persian empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 01:23
I give up you really do believe what you're saying which is sad. I can't unteach you ehats been knocked into tour head. Its really pitiful though that fanatics will go to such lengths. I'm sorry but it really is sad how badly you've been brainwashed.

Take a look here for an actual correct picture.
%20 - http://rbedrosian.com/Maps/ahgh3c.jpg

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 01:26
The fact is the Persians were a great empire with great armies. What you are doing is called hyperbole. They did not win the Greco Persian Wars evidence provided. They never invaded India. You provided that evidence. Cyrus himself was defeated by the Scythians. Please accept others views and not just your own. It really is sad if someone doesn't want to learn.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 08:19

The problem is that you still don't know where ancient India, Ethiopia, Scythia, ... located, you have just read some very biased texts about the Greco-Persian wars and imagine that ancient Greeks were some superhuman entities who were never defeated in any battle, and if they lost a battle, it would be certainly one against thousands! I have suggested several times in this thread that you read the ancient Persian inscriptions, but it is clear you will never do it and just repeat your own words, so ignore it and just enjoy your fabulous imaginations!

You can read about the Achaemenid empire and look at the real map here: http://www.ancient.eu.com/Achaemenid_Empire/ - http://www.ancient.eu.com/Achaemenid_Empire/

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 11:43
The ancient Persian inscriptions can scarcely be held without bias as try were written on the kings orders! The Persians did not conquer India or Ethiopia.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 11:45
Heres a review on your article

There are negative comments from peer reviewers.

Antoine Simonin wrote on 2012-01-10 17:54:22:

Achaemenids never controlled the Northern Black Sea area; the Anatolian Pontos region and Armenia were vassals, so maybe was Arabian Maka. And in the East, Sogdiana was the north-easternmost point they controlled, as was Gandhara in the East.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 15:57
These negative views can be found everywhere, the fact is that some people know and some other people don't know and just want to deny, for example they don't know an inscription of Darius the Great has been discovered in modern Romania, of course according to some biased Greek sources, Persians never controlled any part of Europe but there are some people who research, they read ancient Persian inscriptions, for example they already know that the Persian satrapy of Skudra was located in Europe.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 16:08
I rest my case you are a fantaic eho refuses to provide evidence goodbye.

-------------

Posted By: Cheops
Date Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 03:58
I personally see no reason to have the Russian army on the list. Instead I should choose for the Persian army.

-------------
In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons. -Herodotus

Posted By: akbar
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2012 at 08:32
why "THE MAQPOON ARMY" not included in this list............ the great emperor of tibet "THE ALI SHER KHAN ANCHAN"

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 24-Jan-2013 at 14:18
if britain had one of the largest empires in the world if not the largest empire, it's because they had an excellent army, so it should definitely be thereSmile

Posted By: Nick1986
Date Posted: 25-Jan-2013 at 10:46
Originally posted by Anon43218765

if britain had one of the largest empires in the world if not the largest empire, it's because they had an excellent army, so it should definitely be thereSmile

No, we were the best because we had an excellent navy. Our warships had the most powerful guns, and our marines could storm any port and use it to land supplies

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2013 at 02:22
3 kingdoms Tongue

Posted By: Steelcut
Date Posted: 30-Jan-2013 at 00:15
The modern US army is the most powerful Army ever to walk the face of the earth.

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2013 at 20:26
Originally posted by Steelcut

The modern US army is the most powerful Army ever to walk the face of the earth.

For the moment. However, I understand the Chinese are more numerous and, technologically, are catching up with the Americans

-------------

Posted By: Steelcut
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 16:28
Perhaps

But as of right now, The Modern US Army is the most powerful Army to walk the face of the earth. They don't even have any close competition in terms of conventional warfare.

Posted By: viperzz33
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2013 at 22:52
There have been a lot of armies i history, and what makes them great i guess is what it can do and what it did. In my opinion, this is my top 10

1.Roman Army: Very flexible and organized army, its their flexibility that made them successful and they had great generals like Caesar. This army is good at building fortifications and they lasted for hundreds of years. A good example is Aleisa, great battle. The Roman Army was the best at their time, and conquered most of Europe.

2.The Grand Army: Very well disciplined and drilled troops, best of their time. They are very loyal and had very high morale. They also had one of the greatest generals ever, Napoleon Bonaparte' who actually made the army. A good example is the battle of Austerlitz, total perfection. And their best infantry, the Old Guard, they were the elite of the elite, they were defeated only once at Waterloo. This could conquered the whole Europe if it wasn't for a few countries around it.

3.Englands Army from 1066 to 1900s: This Nation is among the greatest that ever existed, from the battle of Hastings to world war 2 this Nations army has stayed strong. They also had the best navy ever. They are very well drilled and disciplined which are one of the key ingredients of making a good army. With this they controlled over 1/5 of the worlds population at their greatest. They had a lot of colonies all around the world and has had a lot of victories.

4.Mongol Army of the the Mongol Empire: With this Army, Genghis Khan conquered the largest Empire ever, it stretch from Korea to Eastern Europe. They won hundreds of battles. They may be badly armored but its their maneuverability and speed that's their strength. If Genghis Khan lived a little longer they could have conquered more.

5. America's Army now: "But as of right now, The Modern US Army is the most powerful Army to walk the face of the earth. They don't even have any close competition in terms of conventional warfare."
 posted by Steelcut

6. Alexander's Army: great army i wish i can command it, it's so cool.
7. Nazi Germany's army
8.Greek army specially the Spartans
9.I'm not exactly sure but it could be the Samurai, very tough and loyal men
10. talgana shihvato's army awsome they killed 20,000 men with only 1298 of thiers

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2013 at 21:24
Its hard to say.  Some armies such as alexanders might not have done so good under a different general.  Its hard to say wether in was the army or the commander or both who made it so powerful.  Considering all time periods and armies I'd have to say in no order:

U.S. army - Definately the most powerful armed force in all of history.  Given the advanced technology of the modern age of course.  No other country in history has had the power to land an army anywhere in the world in such a short time period.  Add in nuclear capabilities and the ability to push a button and decimate a country anywhere on earth and you have a powerful force.

Mongol army under Ghengis khan - Not only was he the best general in history (according to a thousand page debate/vote on another history forum) but his armies conquered 1/4 of the earths surface a feat only exceded by the British empire.  And he did it on horseback with bows and arrows wtih 150,000 men conquering advanced nations like china and khwarazam who had armies in the millions.

Roman army - Was an unstoppable force that ruled the mediterranian world for for 800 years.  Only their corruption and infighting led to their downfall.

Arab army - Came out of arabia as wondering nomads and conquered a vast portion of the middle east and africa, even taking some of spain.

British army - Conquered more territory than any nation in history over 1/4 of the earth.

German army WW2 - Had the most advanced weaponry of the time including the first jets and had one of the most disciplined armies.  Fought 3 countries at once and only lost because of a 2 front war and outproduced by the americans.

Chinese army 800 - 1100 - Hard to gage since they really only fought among themselves but given their size and man power and the art of war and gunpowder (they had rockets by the 11 century) they probably could have taken on any other country of the time period

Macedonian army - Alexanders army conquered the persian empire and much of the world. 

Spartan army -  Powerful army that was unstoppable for a while.

Japanese army ww2 - Fiercly fanatical they conquered much of asia.

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 19:07

Red Army of WWII: Singlehandedly broke the back of the Nazi war machine. Equipped with advanced, yet simple to produce, weapons, including the PPSH sub-machine gun, T-34 tank, Yak-9 fighter, and Sturmovik bomber

-------------

Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 21:16
I agree twas a fine force 'after 42'. Prior to that it was an infantry army with with post WW1 doctrinal innovations coming on.

After 42; it become a 'combined arms force (still infantry heavy)' with simplistic yet durable and highly efficient sources of equipment (to include lend lease)...and a significant manpower reserve pool even after their earlier catastrophic losses.

Equally important, it had the moral high ground in retaliation for the invasion by the Nazi's, and it's tactical and strategic leaders in uniform, having not been purged, were doing the job.

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Posted By: viperzz33
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2013 at 15:44
oh well we all have our opinions still like the roman army better though

Posted By: Sixteen String Jack
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 09:14
The best army at present is the British Army.  In fact, Britain (and England before that) probably has the best military record of any nation in history.

Also, if the German Army was the best of the 20th Century then why did Germany lose both world wars?

-------------

Posted By: Domen
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2013 at 16:13

3.Englands Army from 1066 to 1900s: This Nation is among the greatest that ever existed, from the battle of Hastings to world war 2 this Nations army has stayed strong. They also had the best navy ever. They are very well drilled and disciplined which are one of the key ingredients of making a good army. With this they controlled over 1/5 of the worlds population at their greatest. They had a lot of colonies all around the world and has had a lot of victories.

Hastings? In the battle of Hastings England's army actually lost to a mixed Norman-French army.

And in WW2 British army had a series of military blunders - the biggest one being the Malayan Campaign (against Japan).

Also British Expeditionary Force in France, Norway and Greece; Operation Market Garden; combats against Rommel in Africa (finally Montgomery won, but due to large numerical and material superiority + US help); battles around Caen (British forces stuck for long time), etc.

Regarding the battle of France in 1940 - British forces lost nearly 100% of their equipment left behind in France. Large part of manpower was evacuated, but mostly by civilian boats. So Dunkirk is an achievement - but an achievement of British civilians, while a defeat of British army. And they rescued men, not an army (an army = men + equipment, and equipment was lost). British people often entirely blame France for the defeat of 1940, but as a matter of fact the Dunkirk escape was possible largely thanks to resistance of French forces at Lille (Siege of Lille 1940), which gave time for evacuation.

In the battle of Monte Cassino the British army also experienced many troubles against much weaker Germans.

In general performance of the British army in WW2 was rather moderate / decent - not bad but also not very good.

Some operations of RAF were also failures - for example initial period of bombing campaign against Germany.

=============================================

While when it comes to great British victories in WW2.

Here udoubtedly I would qualify the air battle over Britain, in which forces of RAF repulsed Luftwaffe, the defence of Malta and initial British victories in Africa against Italy (including Operation Compass - a similar blunder for the Italians as the Malayan Campaign was for the British).

Posted By: AnchoritSybarit
Date Posted: 14-Mar-2017 at 02:51
Originally posted by viperzz33

England's claim to military prowess rests on 2 foundations.  First they established their primacy as a naval power against Spain and later over the Dutch (a surprisingly difficult process).  They were able to parlay this advantage and create a world spanning empire by seizing territory while simultaneously preventing others from doing the same.
Second under Marlborough in the 18th and Wellington in the 19th Centuries they created a credible ground force.  This army admittedly good could ONLY achieve its goals as part of a coalition.  Without Eugene does anyone claim that Marlborough would have emerged victorious against the French.  Or Wellington against Napoleon without Grouchy and the fear of the approaching Russians, Prussians and Austrians.
In the last century the definition of military futility would be a hard fought contest between the French and the British.  In WW I despite having the game changing technology (the tank) as early as 1916, they were unable to parlay it into success until 1918.  Their grand strategy would have seemed to find another nation to go to war every time they were at their wits end.  First Italy and then the US.
In WWII despite having more and better tanks than the Germans they were routed, fleeing France like a scalded cat.  In North Africa despite having enormous numerical superiority, air parity is not superiority, more and better armour, an enemy at the end of a supply line stretched to the nth degree and the bonus of Enigma intelligence they managed to stop Rommell by a cat's whisker.  At 2nd El Alamein despite even greater superiority across the board and the knowledge of impending US landings in Morocco, they were unable to successfully pursue a shattered German army fast enough to prevent it from creating a successful defense in Tunisia, thereby prolonging the war for at least 6 month.

In Sicily and Italy their operations could at best be described as pedestrian and plodding.

At D-day Montgomery despite weaker than expected resistance was unable to achieve the goals that he himself had set, leading to the prolonged Normandy campaign.  The inability to close the Falaise gap or to allow the Americans to do so prolonged the war considerably.  And the disaster of Market Garden was a classic exercise in snatching defeat out of the jaws of certain victory, not to mention the failure to simply read the intelligence reports and act on them.

-------------
What I have I hold.

Posted By: Maat-Seshat
Date Posted: 14-Mar-2017 at 16:37
Well, quite interesting discussion and I really do not know why German Nazi Army was so great. There were greater armies in Germany in other times.
I do not know, if the armies have to be categorised after period of time because I would like to note them as they come into my mind:

1. Macedon Army under Alexander the Great

2. The Egyptian Army of the New Kingdom, after the Hyksos had introduced chariots and horses

3. Carthage Army under Hannibal

4. Roman Army

5. Huns Army under Attila, causing the great migration of peoples

6. Army of the Frankish Empire (France) under Charlemagne

7. Mongol Army under Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan

8. The Great Kurd Sultan Saladin, Commander-in-Chief of Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Nubia and more, re-conquered Jerusalem

9. The German Army under Frederick II, the Great from Prussia.

10. Grand Napoleonean Army

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com