Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRome: Total War mod Total Realism 6.0 Preview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rome: Total War mod Total Realism 6.0 Preview
    Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 02:27
Thanks again, I worked it out and am loving the game play. Started off on easy with Iberians before getting bored and putting it on harder with Macedon. Simply stunning.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 20:50
Yes, it was very stunning the first time I played it. Never tried the Macedonians though, do they get good cavalry?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 20:54
They get missile cavalry, but mostly its the balence of Greek Phalanx type infantry and cavalry, plus their geographic location (in the Southern Balkans, but not split up and spread out like the Greek cities), that make them an intresting game to play.
Arrrgh!!"
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 23:43
The Macedonians? They get awesome cavalry. It doesn't match the raw power of the Seleucid cavalry force, but they're easier to get and, as a rule, cheaper. Not to mention they're sitting on top of a proverbial gold mine that is Greek trade.

Your first move is to build up a modest force, using very little cavalry at the start. They'll bleed your treasury dry. Focus on the phalangites, and take out the Ptolemaic city east of Pella. Then, if that army is still strong, take Byzantion from the Greeks to secure your east. Thrace is entirely up to you, but I recommend getting it so the Thracians don't.

Move your second army, which you should have started with, against Eprius or the city north-east of it. The mountain passes are hard to use cavalry in, so you won't want to bog your force down there. Take that city, and then turn your sights to Athens. She's important.

From Elis and Corinth, rally an army to attack Athens. Ignore Sparta for the moment. She only has about two Spartan units, and she can't storm a city in less than three turns -- plenty of time to take Athens and build up troops in Corinth, or ships in Elis.

Once you've got Athens and Epirus, bring your troops in from Byzantion (they should have long since arrived if you didn't go for Thrace), and attack that city north of Corinth. Once you have them, if you've got sea supremacy, turn your forces to boats and attack Crete and Lesbos, the island south of Pergamon. Take them both (Crete has two cities, one Greek and Ptolemaic, which start with three phalanx units and a cavalry unit, roughly).

Ignore Sicily. You don't want to be slugging it out with Carthage right now. You can help the Greeks against the Romans, or you can kill the Illyrians. I suggest the Illyrians if the Greeks aren't being bled dry, which they probably are. If they are, land at Ancona and smash into Rome's soft interior. Don't go for Rome yet -- she's heavily fortified and you don't want a pitched battle against the Legios yet, especially not with them defending.

Hopefully you've gotten cavalry now, so you can bring in troops to attack any northern cities Rome captured, which is probably only two at this point (unless they're fighting Gaul, which you should play off). Don't go into Rome's southern land, as the Greeks are liable to attack you. Don't go for a treaty with them. Focus on decapitating Rome, then turn to the south and smash them both. With Italy and Greece, you'll want to solidify your holdings. Cyprus, for reasons I've never figured out, has three towns -- take them. They'll be more difficult to keep than the Italian cities, but the Ptolemaics will neglect their navy after they lose their overseas stuff. I suggest a hasty alliance with the Seleucids, as they'll need every bit of help they can get. If you can keep the Seleucids afloat, you're going to have an easy time.

Turn your attention to Thrace and Illyria. Don't bother allying them, just crush them. Both are miserably weak. The Illyrians are a bit more stubborn, though. Keep an eye out for that. Once you're done there, don't even think about attacking Sarmatia, you can't afford to extend your troops that far. Besides, I've never seen her expand.

Once you've done that, you can either turn your attention to the Ptolemaic cities in southern Turkey (Side, Halicarnassus*, something else), or go for Pontus. If you can, which you should be able to by now, go for both. The Ptolemaics will give up the three towns without much of a fight, and the Kingdom of Pontus has never had a decent army. Armenia should be your next target. Annex her. I suggest going for them because of the cultural penalty -- deal with it early.

Once you've got them, you can go for Egypt herself, Sicily, or Seleucia. I suggest Egypt, then Seleucia. Without any enemies except Parthia or Bactria, Seleucia will turn on your, especially if you've taken out their enemies. Carthage might pick a fight with you, but she's probably busy in Iberia or, as I've seen one, Gaul at this point. Do whatever the hell you want.

That's how Macedonia's meant to be played. Or, at least, that's what Caius, the former project leader, thinks. I happen to agree with him.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 23:50
I downloaded RTR and won 50 provinces as the Seleucids in a pretty short time. But then I went back to old school RTW for the multiplayer.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 01:44
I'm taking over all of Europe with the Gauls. I played the Gauls because I thought it would be the hardest faction to win with. I found it quite easy however.

I never played the Gauls with the vanillia version. I think im taking advantage of some of the flaws in 6.0. I use the Gauls as the true barbarians they are. I have no economy, I only make money by exterminating entire populations, then tearing down their buildings for money. I attack them from every direction taking out towns with small garisons and burning them to the ground. I dont bother leaving one single man behind to defend it unless it makes a profit over a few hundred.

Im fighting on three fronts without any problems. Im fighting the Romans, the Germans and the Iberians and the Carthaginians. And winning, I think it's the cheap mercenary armies that are always there for hire that makes this tactic work so well.  And the idiotic AI responce to you're movements. Although sometimes they do intelligents things,  I assume it's just by chance however.

Im looking forward to the expansion pack, 6.0 is just to easy. I've won with the Carthaginians now the Gauls, way to easily.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 02:15
I just dont enjoy zipping through and taking 50 provinces. I enjoy savoring my game. 6.0 itself can be easy, but you can obtain a better game by editing file stats to work against you in a campaign or establishing some house rules and disciplining yourself to stick to them no matter what.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 05:35
With the Macedonians I basically concerted my attack into a number of thrusts. Antigonus Gonatus starts out south with some units, joins my Pelop units and takes Athens and Sparta before making a crescent shaped trek to take Crete, Rhodes and end up in Southeast Asia minor. Another army goes west, taking the Greek cities before crossing to Italy. Another army swings west, taking Byzantion and crossing to tackle the Seleucids. A second western army takes the Egyptian city before swinging north to take thrace.

Am so reliant on mercenaries, its crazy.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 17:40
For the Macas, i'd recomend attacking the Greek cities on turn one. Don't worry about the Ptolies of the Gauls, they are a minor pain in the ankle at most, you can finish them off later. Greek cities are culturaly the same as yours, so you can assimilate them effortlessly and cheaply (though you still have to build new barracks for some reason).
Oh, and i build one or two cavalry units very early, missile cavalry is always very usefull, both to chase the emenies general unit, and to mop up any fleeing troops.

Once you've taken all the Greek cities in mainland Greece (and built up a small navy to attack the Greek ships that are harrassing your ports, as well as blockading their ports in Byzantam and the other place there in what is now Romania sort of to supress their develoment there), you can turn your attention elsewhere, to the Egyptian and Greek Islands to the East and South of you, and to the Gauls/Egyptians/Greeks north of you.

By now the Thracians and/or the Ilyrians will have attacked you, so you can look into chosing a nice border in teh Balkans to the north of you, i'm using th Danube myself (even if it leaves some of my Northern Provinces to the dogs as it were), plug the main crossings small garrisons, and have one good army in the middle to march to where ever there is trouble (give this armys general a movement bonus retinue).

Now your attention should focus to Asia, eventualy as you expand into Anatolia, you might want to move your capital to a more central location from Pella.

Oh yes, and use spies and diplomats to find enemy generals, find out what traits and retinues they have, and bribe them if they look good.
Theres nothing quire like having a surgeon (or was it the doctor?) AND a healing preistess to bring back those soldiers from the dead.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 20:17
I think the spelling was something like "Churgeon," or something similar, for the ancillary that almost triples the unit recovery rate.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 21:09
Thats the one, it gives +15 or +25 or something.
The Doctor gives a smaller amount, but also improves the fertility of the general. But you can't have both.
One of them isn't compatable with the barbarian ones though, but if you do it right, you can have three, one is like a witch doctor, one is a priestess, and of course either the Doctor or the Churgeon, and stacks up nicely, very good for armies that will be out in teh field with few oportunities to recharge in a well developed city (like say, an overseas campain).
Arrrgh!!"
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 09:03
Maybe you're thinking of the Priest of... Jupiter, was it? Minor bonus to morale or something like that. Or you're thinking of the Magician, which is +1 morale/command/diplomacy. Or you're thinking Oracle, which is +1 morale/command/diplomacy/influence.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 19:34
Playing as the Macedonians with the Realism mod, from the Thracians i got a Herbalist (+1 fertiluity, +10 recovery, same as a Macedonian doctor), and a Priestess of Bendis (+1 public health, +20 recovery).
I'd imagine most Barb factions have herbalist, and some priest or priestess od healing or other. The Macedonians from what i gather, only ger Dorctors and Chirugeons.

Speaking of which, the Chirugeons give +15 recovery, stack them with a herbalist and a Priestess of Bendis (bot not a doctor, for whatever reason you can't have a doctor and a Herbalist or a Chirugen in the same stack), and you get +45 recovery.
Now, i don't think it gives full recovery everytime, but i have had cases where units of Maca hoplites (60, on my present graphics settings) in an army with that general will lose as much as half their number in combat, and regain as much as 20 of them when the battle is over. Which is pretty damn good you have to admit.

But i think there are limits, as mentioned about with the Doctor/Herbalist/Chirougeon clash, you probably can't have multiple healing prietesses, maybe there is an Eastern healer that could be squeezed in, but i think thats the max.
Arrrgh!!"
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 12:14

The bonus is probably the percent per man, or something. So 45% would leave you at just shy of half recovery, barring other factors, like the army being surrounded and cut to ribbons.

I prefer not to lose men, though. Makes it easier.

Macedonian phalangites are great for that.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 18:58
I prefer not to lose men, though. Makes it easier.

Same here, but its sometimes hard if you are outnumbered.
Generaly i don't mind losing some of my front line infanty, infact putting them in hardcore situations where they lose a few troops beefs up their expereience.
Its the missile troops in the rear that i swear to never lose, and consider it a failing if i lose even one of them, especialy a cretan mercenary archer, lose one ot two of the, and i start kicking myself.
Arrrgh!!"
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 20:12
The archers aren't so bad. You can hire Cretans anywhere in the Greek world, really. Or at least the Ptolemaic, Antigonoid, Greek, and western Seleucid lands.

If you want to talk about preservering troops, try to keep your cavalry alive. They cost so damn much. Italian Cavalry in 6.1 is like 1,200 to buy, 700 for upkeep. It's insane. Elephants are even worse.

I do try to keep archers alive, though, simply because I always build infantry stuff first. Of course, peltasts die pretty easy, but they can help hold a line, so I'm not too concerned about them.

Who do you play as? I really like Macedon, and the challenge from Seleucia is great, but I probably prefer Sarmatae and Carthago.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:03
I hate cavalry, good units, but really sucky for the price. I would rather have 7 units of hastati for the same price.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:16
The archers aren't so bad. You can hire Cretans anywhere in the Greek world, really. Or at least the Ptolemaic, Antigonoid, Greek, and western Seleucid lands.

But the ones from Crete ship with +3 experience.

Cavalry is indeed expensive, but as the macas you are not short in cash (i'm actualy trying to decrease income so that i don't have too much cash as that encoruages bad management traits AFAIK, not sure if thats changed in RTR though), and i don't depend on them too much (especialy in the part of the world where hoplites are the backbone of the infantry.

They are there as a sort of reserve, shock cavalry to hit from the back, misslile cavalry to harass and provoke, and of course, light cavalry to hunt down and kill those troops fleeing the battle (especialy enemy generals). Infact, i think i only use the general units and the greek missile cavalry (can form that circle thing), and the odd unit of Thracian cavalry that i picked up (i keep the small depleted ones in cities to 'recharge' the full ones that take on casualties).

It depends on your fighting style i guess, for me, the Macas are about walls of infantry, with archers behind them, maybe a few expendable peltast type units on the flank (to deter any flanking manourvers by the faster barbarian spearman units, and to protect the archers), and cavalry on the rear flanks.
Later on, if its a town attacker stack, i'll throw in some Balistas (though they can be a liability on standard out in the open battles, even if they do rape ememy infantry formations).

For a cavalry game i play as the Armenians. Never tried the Samaratans, been meaning too, but am put off by the sheer size of the provinces, knowing that i'll spend much time and effort hunting down rebels.
Arrrgh!!"
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:37
Macas? Who are the macas? I don't know of any macas in the game. 

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 22:35
Macas = Macedonians
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>