Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinca Symbols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinca Symbols
    Posted: 27-Nov-2013 at 12:11
I don't know about that Med. But after re reading this, I do know that Benzin is wrong.  First off, the Ceramic terminology for firing isn't baked or cooked, it's "Fired".  Also it's a Kiln, not an oven.

If the tablets were indeed unfired or raw clay, I very much doubt they would have survived the years.  It's more likely that they were fired at a very low temp, for a short time.  The extreme age and exposure to ground moisture would have destabilized the clay surface. 

Restorers now have other options, but firing in an electric kiln was, and still is, an accepted technique to stabilize clay artifacts.  An electric kiln does not introduce fuel to the kiln atmosphere, so there isn't contamination from outside carbon sources .  It also does not interfere with dating, as dating is best done on the strata the artifact was found in.  Dating a clay artifact from the artifact itself is difficult at best, as you would be looking for inbedded charcoal, to give a C14 date, and might destroy the object you wished to date.

If it's the symbols that are in question, any ceramic chemist could tell if the symbols were added recently, fired or unfired.

A note-
It takes a special personality to be a professional ceramic restorer, something like that of a diamond cutter.  If you screw up, there isn't anything like being able to order up a replacement from E bay.
It takes absolute confidence in your knowledge and your craft. And above average testicular stature.Big smile

Edited by red clay - 27-Nov-2013 at 12:18
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2013 at 23:17
Maybe clay tablets suffered the natural fire?!?!?Ancient children wrote on clay tablets with
chalk&charcoal.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2013 at 00:28
It's possible. As long as the temp. was above 600 F.  It's got to be at least that to drive off the chemical water.  The climate and soil type probably played a big part in the preservation also.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
reitia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2014 at 02:13
Hello,

Concerning the Vinça symbols: I am a researcher specializing in prehistory and ancient history. For several years I've been studying the so-called Vinça-Tordos culture, as well as other, similar ancient civilizations of the Balkans and the Danube.

After considerable research, I have come to the conclusion that the Vinça symbols actually represent a syllabic script. This linear form of proto-writing would be the first ever created by man, unless we consider the sporadic Palaeolithic signs and symbols to also be remnants of a formal script.

If you wish, I can send you further information.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12